Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What is the spice of your rp?

caliente

Planetoid
Ok... this is a difficult question.
I think I will describe what I mean.

Imagine you play the same scene with two different partners. The premises are exactly the same. The theme is the same. Even the character pics are the same.

One roleplay completely gets you off. You LOVE it. You itch for your partner's responses and really, really, REALLY can't wait to get this play on!

The other roleplay... even though you even move through the same motions, it simply does nothing for you. You feel guilty, and try to write up longer, better, more literate replies. Your partner REALLY gives everything, long, detailed replies, asking if your ok, if he should change something, etc.... but it doesnt work.

Have you experienced this? And... what is the difference? What is the one thing you absolutely need in your rp/from your rp partern, that takes your rp from: "Yeah Im having good fun" to "OMG THIS is REALLY good, can't get enough of it?

For me it's probably a matter of character, but that's something that I could say of all the fiction I engage with, be it a comic book or a movie. And it's not a thing to be dealt in absolutes, of course I enjoy plot, action, pacing, comedy, visuals (where applicable), but I've found that good characters make me enjoy a good fiction more, and even forgive the shortcomings of lesser ones.

The partner matters a lot. I have some partners that make me eager to reply because we have a connection, but some i only know peripherally so i don't feel as inclined to immediately post back

A friendship out of character really helps to make it more enjoyable because its all about communication

Being compatible for story/characters, and more intimate scenes, is indeed a thing.

My writing partner is the biggest factor in making a scene pop and sizzle, whether it’s a sex scene or not. After that, there’s the emotional investment in the characters themselves - the more I care about them, the better the scenes tend to be.

Both the partners and the characters for me. I need to mesh OoC with a person to remain engaged with the story and care about giving it my best effort. When I do have that 'on the same wavelength' chemistry, it seems to flow through to the ease of our characters working off each other and the natural dynamic between them, no matter the context of their relationship in the plot, or the theme,

In story, it's three-dimensional characters who I can become invested in and care about. Ones with their own goals and motivations that each drive the plot rather than one or both simply existing as props to serve the plot or other characters motives. Give me rounded individuals with vibrant personalities who feel authentic, and are fun and unpredictable to write opposite of, and that's the sizzle and what makes or breaks the continued 'itch' for me. Left alone they can tell their own story, with just the occasional nudge from the writers.

OOC collaboration, thoughtfulness/mindfulness, clear and concise communication, a willingness to discuss beyond the obvious of the current writing situation.

I've used some generic characters/scenarios just so I could write on various websites here and there. It really comes down to how well I mesh with the person I'm writing with.

Partners. Partners. Partners.

People like to throw around the term literate and literate plus and all that, but let's be honest - this is a writing site, most people here are at least competent at developing characters and writing narratives.

Most people, however, are not great at the format of writing in pairs. They have a notion of an idea or a character and that's what they'll write - nothing in the world could change their mind. A good roleplay is a collaborative effort to create something better than the individuals involved in it. You have two minds at work. The end product should be very much different than what you could produce on your own.

So, in short, a partner that WANTS to create something together, rather than wants to play out a story they solely came up with, is what really interests me.

I agree with Enigma, a lot of people aren't meant to write in a roleplay format. Compromise is an important part of roleplaying 'cause you're never going to see eye to eye with your partner 100% of the time.

While I don't really enjoy making personal bonds with my partners (I get attached very easily to people I get to know, and I don't want to do that to people I write with), I love talking story, and I get super in to it - lots of character development, talking past/present/future, writing flashbacks and missing scenes to fill in gaps. If a partner can handle that I would rather avoid story-unrelated/personal talk and can still come off as excited and engaging about writing our story, then I'm golden. If they're too personally chatty or don't enjoy getting invested in character/story talk then I'm just not in to it.

I may not be the best person to say this...

But the dedication to co-write a nice story together and effort to make the relationship between characters more meaningful, rather than just being sex interest of what I or other people are looking to do in a RP for pairings.

I try to stray from having RPs that are 'too similar', but I've scrapped RPs and started a new one with the same person only to find that the next RP went way better.

RPing is kind of akin to oral storytelling, to be honest. Even if you tell the same story a hundred times there will be different things in each one. You could take the same RP and play it out from the same starting point with the idea to end up at the same end point. It will end up different in the middle.

No two stories or partners are alike. Some will hit the cues you leave for them, others will miss the cues entirely, others will find cues you never realized you left. Misunderstandings left by writing will open up interesting things in some cases.

In this case, the difference would be the partners and if they hit certain points.

For me, I imagine, if the exact scenario in the OP were to happen the difference would have to be how the writing styles intertwine. Some writing styles just don't mesh even if both writers write extremely well. It can't just be smut, smut, smut (as much as we're here for that). Vivid visuals are also something I like, too. I like writings that has the dripping, the splashing, or describe the sounds. I also like being told what the other character sees or feels. If someone hits all those notes, it's golden and I'm likely giggling while considering my reply.

The 'chemistry', for lack of term, both with the partner and between characters. Some characters just hit it off and it's very easy to continue their story and they seek each other out, while with others even if you put them in similar place/situation, it drags and my character just go apathetic about the whole situation. With partners, OOC communication and trust, maybe, I'm still not sure about that one.

Back
Top Bottom