Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The pressure of being a good rper

Kurosaki

Planetoid
I've often been super nervous about being a good rper when I rp with a partner . Is this enough details ? , Are they enjoying the rp? Will they drop the rp if its not good enough? Sometimes its a little overwhelming .

I think everyone at one point or another feels that way one time or another.

The best i can say is do your best but don't overdo it. Thinking on stuff to hard, trying to write more when it's not necessary, things like that can all flub a post in some form or another. Do try your best! but don't try to force it.

Open Communication with your writing partner can also be a good thing. Maybe not constantly asking "if it's okay" but keeping with them up every now and then to make sure the play is meeting their expectations, sating their kinks, etc. Can really help. Partners bail, it happens, Ive had it happen to me and I've been guilty of it, but these days I try to be open. If I get the feeling a partner is losing interest I ask them what Im doing they may not be enjoying or what I'm lacking that they need. I will offer the same info to partners I feel aren't meeting expectations, but hey sometimes it doesn't work out and that's that, you can't let it get you down. Just keep going and try your best.

Raina_Reader said:
Open Communication with your writing partner can also be a good thing. Maybe not constantly asking "if it's okay" but keeping with them up every now and then to make sure the play is meeting their expectations, sating their kinks, etc. Can really help. Partners bail, it happens, Ive had it happen to me and I've been guilty of it, but these days I try to be open. If I get the feeling a partner is losing interest I ask them what Im doing they may not be enjoying or what I'm lacking that they need. I will offer the same info to partners I feel aren't meeting expectations, but hey sometimes it doesn't work out and that's that, you can't let it get you down. Just keep going and try your best.

This too. Communication goes a very long way.

Raina_Reader said:

I second this. Part of what's been helping me keep the really awesome thread I have going with Razgriz is talking/planning on a rather constant basis. If we find anything that needs to be changed, we do it. We remind each other of previous ideas and such. It has really helped me out immensely. We help one another out when we get stuck so we can move on and keep our RP from dying.

Mind you, you don't have to simply figure stuff out every (other) day. But talking when you can? Oh yeah, that absolutely helps.

Yeah, communicate.
That said, I feel that writing is my forte, I enjoy it, I have ideas and I am published. So I don't take it personally when someone disappears.

I feel like once you make the decision to be like 'fuck this pressure', a lot of magical things happen to your writing.

Chin up! Remember that you're doing fine :D

I agree with everyone saying that getting past the worry makes things so much easier. Back when I was stressed about if I was "good enough", my writing suffered as a result. Now that I don't force replies, a certain length, et cetera I feel like the quality of my writing as improved just from taking the pressure off of myself.

Also, like others are saying - open communication with your partner. If you can trust them to be honest about you if they're not enjoying something, you can feel better about the risk of being dropped/not impressing someone.

You are never going to please everyone. We all have played with those that don't give enough, those that repeat what you say and only add two sentences, and those that make you feel like you are a bystander in a book they are writing. You just have to find what works for you. If they don't like you or stop playing. Fuck them, they aren't worth the second thought.

Back
Top Bottom