Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In a Kingdom of Unrest [Seraphina X Just Another King]

xXSeraphinaXx

Super-Earth
After two years of sneaking out from under her father’s nose, Clara Montcroix, had been saddled with a bodyguard. The twenty-one year old Princess was stubborn to say the least, and getting paired up with an annoying guard was not at the top of her priorities. She cursed herself for not being more careful for the previous two years. Never in her wildest dreams did she think her father had noticed the bruises and minor injuries she would occasionally sport after a more active night out of the castle. The King was apparently more observant than Clara gave him credit for.

For four days she’d been followed around- no. Practically stalked by her guard. Everywhere she went, he was there and she couldn’t stand it anymore. In her room, he was watching. At dinner, he was observing. During tea, guess who was present? Clara was ready to drug his ale and sneak out from under his watchful eye. He wasn’t necessarily friendly either, as if he assumed she was like any other royal Princess who didn’t like to play by the rules. It wasn’t that she was spoiled. It was simply that her priorities didn’t line up with what the King had in mind. Which led to her little adventures. Her guard hadn’t bothered to ask why she snuck out, but it was obvious he hadn’t been instructed to stop her. As long as it remained that way, she didn’t see any reason to inform of what her motives were. Let him think what he wanted. The longer she could ignore him, the better.

But damn it, it was hard. Clara looked up from her vanity, her blue eyed gaze reflected back at her and giving her a clear view of the bodyguard that stood on the other side of her suite. Her eyes narrowed, irritation clearly evident in the expression she had specifically reserved for the battle ready guard. “Ridiculous…” She muttered under her breath. Clara couldn’t lie, it could have been worse. He could have been hired to keep her from leaving the castle. But if she remained honest, he would have had a much harder job if that was the case. He had a cakewalk of a job. It wasn't as if she really got into any trouble. The first four days of his job had been boring she was sure. Maybe if she kept it that way he would complain and get himself assigned elsewhere. "In my dreams..." She whispered to herself, standing and pushing away from her vanity. Her blonde hair was pulled back with a clip and it hung long down her back, while her riding pants and leather bodice were hidden by a warm evening cloak. She tried to dress the part of an adventurer whenever she snuck out, that way the kingdom citizen's wouldn't recognize her as the Princess. What she was doing was for her own reasons, not to get attention. The less people that recognized her- the better.

Lacing up her boots, she turned on her heels and headed out of the suite. She followed the same corridor every night, even though everyone still knew she snuck out. Clara would take a right past the first guard check and then slip down the servants stairway and out the back of the kitchens. At the time of night she usually left, the kitchens were slow and nobody ever paid her mind.

As usual, she didn't bother to check if the guard was following her. After all, she preferred he didn't.

When the cold night air brushed across her face, Clara sighed, a blanket of peace washing over her. The night always did something to calm her. It was what led her to start sneaking out of the castle in the first place. Her other motives had developed later. Stepping onto the cobblestone pathway, she quickly made her way off of the castle grounds, her eyes bright with enthusiasm and determination. There was as specific goal in mind for the evening and she was already running behind. The blonde haired Princess slipped between a broken section of the castle's surrounding wall, glancing over her shoulder only briefly to check for the guard. The streets outside of the castle were still rather busy, the night merchants trying to sell their merchandise to anyone who passed them a lingering glance. Clara liked the night merchants, they tended to have more unique products that she couldn't find from anyone that entered the castle. Pausing beside a round and short man, she leaned over his wares. "Evening, miss..." He greeted politely, his grin toothless, but kind. Clara tipped her head in greeting and settled her gaze on a pendant hanging from a long silver chain. "Something catch your fancy?" He inquired. Clara nodded, pointing to a beautifully cut moonstone, wrapped with artists wire and attached to the chain. The merchant lifted the necklace and offered it to Clara to hold. With a delighted smile she cradled the pendent in her hand. "It's only two silver for the pretty miss this evening..." Clara didn't even need to think about it. She reached into her cloak, fingers wrestling with a small bag of coin that she attached to her pants. Two coin were exchanged and she slipped the necklace around her neck, satisfied as the pendent settled beneath the edge of her bodice. She bid the merchant a good evening and disappeared into the crowd of night travelers.

She kept getting distracted, but her real mission was down on the river bank, where the homeless tended to gather. Clara had arranged for an accident to occur regarding a lot of food that was meant to be delivered to the castle. The food accidentally ended up stockpiled not too far from river. Clara wanted to get to it before anyone else found it, then she would lead the homeless families to where it was hidden so they could collect food for themselves. But she had a bad feeling that someone else might find the food before she had a chance to get there.

Kaden was quiet as he watched the princess, Clara Montcroix, as she sat at her vanity. His hands rested on the pommel of his long sword, belted to his waist, long dark hair tied behind his back. He paid little attention to what the princess was actually doing, his mind leaning more towards this evenings adventures. For four days he had been her bodyguard and in those four days he had gone from being nervously apprehensive, to being at great ease.

The mercenary, only twenty two years old, had certainly managed to make a name for himself. Or several as it were. Being an orphan and a bastard, he had no family name and no-one to care about him. He’d been taken in at a young age by a mercenary who needed an assistant; the same way that a knight needs a squire. However as the boy travelled with him, the mercenary took a shine to him. Kaden was rebellious and mischievous, prone to fits of anger at everything and anything. After all, orphaned bastards often have little reason to be happy with a world that hates their kind. However the old mercenary took pity on him and saw potential in the young boy. Not only was he quick to learn but he also showed signs of magical abilities. Those abilities flare up for the first time after an altercation between Kaden’s master and a local militia, in which Kaden’s rage and abilities saw the soldiers and a good chunk of forest incinerated. From then on the old mercenary began to teach and train the boy. He learned how to read and write, learned the appropriate etiquette for the varying degrees of nobility and royalty but most importantly he learned how to fight. With weaponry and hand to hand combat, his master trained him. Whether they fought with swords and shields, bow and arrow, lances or the great two handed weapons of war, Kaden excelled at them all. He was an apt student, eager to learn. And while the young boy had no formal magical education to speak of, he made up for it with his ironclad willpower and a voracious appetite for all books, tome and scrolls on the matter. Over the years he soon had a grip on his abilities and good idea of how far he could push himself.

By the time he was nineteen, Kaden was a formidable warrior. Tall, lean and muscular. He was well trained in every known manner of fighting, while his magical power only made him stronger. It was this time in his life that his master passed away. Old and frail, Kaden’s mentor succumbed to illness. Taking up his own sword, Kaden set out as a mercenary, taking on work alone. Whether it was for poor villagers, noble lords and ladies, or anyone in between, he performed all kinds of feats. Monster slaying, fighting on frontline battles in wars, protection and even the occasional assassination. And his feats certainly gained him a reputation and more than a few names. Kaden Brightblade, some called him for the way his sword would alight with magical blue fire. Or to some it was Wyrmslayer, or Wolfspeaker or a dozen other names. However despite his prowess, he had never worked for royalty before and never had he been chosen to protect someone such as a princess. When he received the summons from the King, he had been tempted to ignore it, or to run away. But, as is the downfall of many mercenaries, the pay was too good. After shaving his bushy brown beard, Kaden donned his best armour and clothing; darkened steel, chainmail and a fine black cloak.

"I don’t expect you to be able to keep her in the castle at night, that would be asking the impossible,” The King said of his own daughter with a wry yet tired grin. “but I ask that you accompany her, wherever she goes and keep her safe. Will you accept this task?”
“Of course, Your Majesty.” Kaden had replied. The King sighed with relief.
“Thank you, Sir Kaden.”
“Oh, it’s just Kaden, your Majesty.” Kaden insisted.
“Proved good at your job and perhaps it will be Sir.” The King offered. And with that, Kaden found himself appointed as the Royal Protector of Princess Clara Montcroix. Onto of his generous wage, the mercenary was also granted his own quarters, meals with the royal family and, should he so chose, armour, clothing and weaponry courtesy of the King. Opting to wield his own sword and armour, he chose to take some new clothing, befitting his station.

“Out again, your highness?” Kaden asked as the princess stepped past him, doing his best to keep the sarcasm from his voice as he followed her along her own little escape route. The mercenary did his best to to act professional. In a matter of four days he had come to a simple conclusion regarding Princess Clara; she was a spoiled brat who wanted to escape and rebel from the duties expected off her. There was also perhaps some bitterness, after all from a young age he assumed she would have had anything she wanted given to her whereas he has had to work and literally kill for everything he owns. But he’d be damned if he ever let it show.

Once they were out of the castle, Kaden kept his distance. They would attract less attention if they travelled alone. Pulling the hood of his dark cloak up, Kaden wore simple chainmail over a fairly ordinary clothing; long sleeved tunic and clothing. His boots were sturdy and he had a pair of leather gloved tucked into his belt. The bodyguard, with the aid of his magic, leapt up onto a roof. From there he would have a much better job of following Clara. His hands rested on the several throwing knives sheathed at his belt. In his experience, the merchants who traded at the night market often did so for a reason. Most were probably guilty of minor crimes that drove them to deal at night, while others were perhaps more serious and hardened criminals. And besides, a pretty young woman wandering the streets alone at night? The cynical mercenary didn’t like it and knew there would be others out there eager to prey on her. After purchasing her necklace, Kaden followed Clara as she disappeared into the crowds, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, prowling silently. He muttered a spell under his breath and his hazel eyes started glowing with magical energy. Suddenly her outline appeared to him, glowing and making it easier to track her. As they made their way towards he listened to the talk of the city; most of it was idle and innocent, but he overheard too many people mention a new gang in town for his liking. Apparently they were looking for a target to make their mark and gain attention. Kaden didn’t know what Clara had in mind, but he wasn’t going to take any chances. As soon as he had the chance he dropped from the rooftops, landing silently, cloak billowing. He quickly fell in beside the princess.
“A pretty trinket, but I don’t suppose you’d consider an early night? I have a bad feeling this evening.” He asked, though he knew it was in vain. Just asking the question would no doubt enflame Clara’s rebellious nature.

Clara turned down a less occupied street, the cobblestones tough beneath her boots. When her guard, Kaden, slipped up beside her, she barely cast him a glance. An early night? She shot him a look then, her eyes narrowed and her shoulders pulled back tensely. "If you're so concerned, you're free to go back to the castle..." She said sharply. "I have things to do..." She stated, her jaw snapping shut loudly as she turned her attention back to the road in front of her. He had a bad feeling? Clara rolled her eyes, annoyed that he would even suggest taking her back to the castle because of a "feeling". He should have known better. Only four days into their new companionship and he should have known she wouldn't listen to a single suggestion or request he had.

The Princess shifted, pulling her cloak tighter around her as she dipped between two homes and skirted down an alleyway. They were close to the riverbank. The stash of food would be nearby. They were passing an old tavern, known for a great mug of ale, and Clara stopped. "Look..." She turned, her hands on her hips. "I just want to sit by the riverbank alone for a little while...The moon is nice tonight....I..." She looked down, dropping her arms to her sides and appearing a bit anxious, "I have some things on my mind and I just need some time on my own. Why don't you get a mug of ale..." Clara pointed at the tavern, "Give me a little time...I'm just going to be right down there..." She pointed down the road to where the moon was reflecting off the river. "The last four days show you how much trouble I get into- none...." She rolled her eyes, "Just let me sit and think for a little while? Then we will go back. Okay?" She was trying to appeal to his conscious, playing the part of the overwhelmed young woman. If he would just spend a little time in the tavern she could finish up her little mission and they really could be on their way.

"I promise..Kaden..." She crossed her arms, giving him a pleading look as they stood beside the tavern. "You won't be that far..." She added, glancing from the riverbank down the road and to the front of the tavern. "And...tomorrow I'll stay in..." She tossed it in for hope he would enjoy a night without having to follow her around. "Just give me...uh..." Clara threw her hands up, "Twenty minutes?" She asked. "That's enough time for two ales and me to clear my head..."

Clara realized, her request for some alone time was the most she'd spoken to Kaden since he joined her side.

Kaden watched the princess with narrowed eyes. Every fibre of his being was screaming to argue with her, to dig his feet in and persist. But for as stubborn as he could be, the past four days had shown him that she can be just as bad. He could stand there and argue with her for days and the pair of them would still be there, no closer to a solution. He sighed and looked away, eyeing up the tavern.
“I don’t like it one bit,” he began with a sigh, “but okay. I get it, you need time to yourself, whatever. It’s none of my business as long as you’re safe. I’ll go get a drink, and there were a few merchants that caught my eye. Might get a knew blade or two.” He explained, looking back the the merchant stalls with feigned interest.

“But the first sign of trouble and I’ll be there. If I even smell something about this I’ll find you. Don’t make me regret this.” He said as he stepped away from her and towards the tavern. He cast a glance back over his shoulder before pushing the tavern door open. “Barkeep! A mug of your best ale!” He ordered before the door slammed shut behind him. He hoped the ruse would be convincing enough and that she would go about her day. Reaching the bar, he dropped some coins on the counter in exchange for the mug, which he finished off quickly in large gulps. As he drank, he wondered about what she had promised about staying in the following night and if she meant it. Not bloody likely! He thought. With a weary sigh, he placed and the empty mug on the counter and moved to the door, muttering a cloaking spell under his breath.

Emerging from the tavern, the spell would leave him visible, however it altered the perception of anyone who looked at him. They’d see him, but be unable to recognise him. For someone to break the spell they would have to look very intently and have some degree of magical ability. For all intents and purposes he would be just another vagabond in the night. He quickly found the most likely route she would take to the river and followed it quickly, eager to catch up with her, hand resting on the hilt of his longsword, expecting the worst.

Clara couldn't believe it for a moment. Kaden was really going to let her go? It almost seemed to easy. She smiled, "There won't be any trouble..." She insisted with a roll of her eyes. "Last time I checked the fish don't jump out of the river and start fights with passing strangers..." With a silent victory dance going off in her head, she watched her guard head into the tavern, waving to him as he looked over his shoulder. She heard him shout for a drink and that was when she quickly made her way off to the river. At least that part was true. She really was going to the river, but her motives for getting him off her back were entirely different. Clara looked both ways as she emerged onto the river bank. It was empty for the time being, but she knew the families who huddled together for warmth in the evenings would arrive soon. Turning on her heel she followed the river bank to a small grouping of trees and a run down set of stables. She had arranged for the food and provisions to be left behind stables, but as she slipped quietly behind them, she noticed that they weren't there. "What the heck...." She murmured, her brows furrowed as she started to search the tree line for everything.

She didn't see anything. Had someone already come and stolen it? While she lost herself to the possibilities, she heard the crack of a twig in the area. Clara jumped, looking over her shoulder to look for the source of the sound. Seeing nothing, and assuming it had been a squirrel, she turned to round the other side of the stables. They were rather old, and the roofing was starting to crumble in, but it was possible that the provisions had been placed inside the dilapidated building. With a sigh, she pushed through the door, the creaking sound loud in the silence of night. "There they are.." She murmured.

Clara started to pull the bags out, about six in total, and place them where she had planned to have them originally, an easy to find area for the families on the bank. After she pulled the final bag out, she went back inside to double check that she wasn't leaving anything behind. Satisfied that all was well, she turned to leave, but at the same moment part of the roof started to cave in. A startled cry escaped her as she stumbled out of the way. Clara tripped, skinning her knee on an old wagon wheel and falling on her hands. She covered her neck and head as pieces of wood came raining down around her. Luckily it hadn't been a huge cave in. She waited until everything was quiet before she started to stand up, flinching when she noticed her knee was bleeding and her pants had been ripped. A nail on the wagon wheel had caught her. "Oops..." The Princess mumbled, bending her knee and scowling at the sting. She was filthy, dust and dirt from the cave in having covered her from head to toe. Other than her knee she remained mostly unscathed from the accident.

Not wanting to waste anymore time she left the stables quickly, following the river bank back to where the homeless families usually made camp. One family had returned from their day in the city and she smiled, pulling them aside to talk in a soft whisper. She explained that she had hidden several bags of food down the river for them. It was something she did when she could, so they were familiar with the location and wouldn't need her help. Before she left she made sure to warn them not to go into the stables. Only behind.

By the time she arrived back where she had actually told Kaden she'd be, she realized he would not believe she sat on the bank as she'd said she would. She wondered if she'd get lectured for her appearance. Deciding she did actually want a moment of peace, she did sit down on the edge of the river, choosing to examine her bleeding knee.

Kaden once again returned to the rooftops, following Clara from his vantage point, feet almost silent as he stalked through the night. He paused as she approached the river, refusing to believe that she was seriously sneaking out just to sit by the water and have some alone time. He repressed a smile of self satisfaction and continued to follow her, leaping from building to building until she started to approach the old, out of the way stables. Kaden didn’t like it, he felt uneasy. Yet he was hesitant to follow her. The two of them had a tenuous relationship as it was and, while it pained him to admit it, Kaden’s job would be much easier if they got on better. If he were to follow the princess and she discovered that he had deceived her then no doubt she would be furious and ever more rebellious. Yet if she were attacked and seriously hurt due to his inaction, his job and perhaps more would be on the line. Kaden grumbled before perching on the edge of a roof and muttering his magical spells. Suddenly he found his eyesight and hearing vastly improved. He focused on the princess while tuning out the sounds of the city; merchants haggling, drunkards fighting and whores plying their trade.

“What is she doing?” Kaden muttered, eyes fixed as the princess dragged the sacks out of the stables, carrying them around to the back of the stables. It certainly wasn’t what he had expected. The bodyguard had anticipated…well anything from meeting up with a lover, to sword fighting or all manner of activities that could see the princess hurt or put in unfortunate situations. Kaden gripped the hilt of his sword as the roof collapsed in. He was ready to jump down and run over, but luckily the princess had managed to dive out of the way. He sat back with a sigh. He hated the nagging, screaming, worrying sensation. Most bodyguard jobs he’d taken on were never this difficult. Usually his charge was more willing to accept his services. The dread worry he felt was exactly why he had vowed never to have children, or get to close to a lover or partner. In his line of work, those kind of sentiments could be lethal; he’d made his fair share of enemies and the last thing he needed was to worry about them hurting someone close to him.

Shrugging such thoughts off, he watched as Clara made her way along the river to the homeless camp. Even with his enhanced hearing he struggled to hear all of the conversation, but he got the gist of it. The sacks contained food for the homeless. What’s she going from this? Kaden thought, no princess is this kind or caring. But despite his cynical attitude he watched as the explained to the homeless family, before approaching the edge of the river, examining the cut on her knee. Watching for a few moments, Kaden realised she wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon and soon took this opportunity to relax. He leaned against a chimney stack, letting it warm him as he gazed up at the stars, his mind wandering. Just a quick minute, he told himself. All this worrying was tiring him out.

“Well, don’t you know it’s a dangerous night to be alone,” said a weasel faced, scrawny man as he approached and sat next to Clara at the edge of the river, “especially for a pretty thing like you.” He finished with a smile that was probably meant to be friends or charming. Behind him were four other men. All of them were large, muscular and clearly bandits of some kind judging by the crude wooden clubs they held and their mismatched armour, They stood in a semi circle around Clara and the weasel faced man, arms crossed, wearing menacing scowls. “You wouldn’t need to worry about that, oh no!” The weasel faced man continued, “you’ve got me and my friends to keep you safe, so don’t you worry about a thing.” Again he smiled, his breath foul. He wore what was clearly once fine clothing, befitting of a lesser noble; fine black shoes, a velvet doublet and smart trousers. However they had been dirtied, sleeves ragged and torn. In his hands he held a simple steel dagger, twirling it around with slender, dextrous fingers.

“Although I am hoping you can help me with a predicament I’ve found myself in. You see, I had some food. A lot of it, six large sacks full to be precise. Plenty to feed me and my men. But some scoundrel has taken them from me and given them away, which I can’t stand for!” There was a vicious snarl to his voice. “But I’m not unreasonable, but nor am I overly wealthy. But I’m hoping that this scoundrel would be willing to… compensate me for my loss so that I might be able to feed myself and my friends. What say you? Do you think this scoundrel would find it in her heart to help lowly, honest men such as myself?” The weasel faced wore a lecherous on his face as he reached out to caress Clara’s newly acquired moonstone necklace.

Clara was doing her best to relax and rid herself of the deep burden she carried deep within her, but then a slimy sounding voice infiltrated her thoughts. The interruption was unwelcome. She jerked, immediately focusing her gaze on the scrawny man that had approached her, daring to sit beside her on the edge of the river. She was aware of the four men behind him, each one seeming to be larger than the other. Their muscles were obviously threatening and she suddenly regretted shaking Kaden off earlier. His presence would have made the situation much easier to handle. The scowls she saw written across the faces of the men made her uneasy and she shifted nervously. You've got me and my friends to keep you safe.. The man's words slithered over her and she shivered, "Oh well aren't I lucky?" She mused sarcastically, her tone sour and unamused. He was too close, and his foul smelling breath made her want to gag.

Kaden had been right. They should have returned to the castle earlier. But she would never admit it to his face. She was too stubborn for that.

The Princess' gaze shifted to the blade he twirled between his fingers and she wondered if she should just jump into the river and attempt to swim away. Would she be faster than the large muscled men? She was unsure if such a risk was worth taking. Her attention was brought back to the weasel man's face as he explained his "predicament". He'd wanted the food she had arranged for. He must have moved the bags in the first place, which was why she'd had to search around for them. She frowned, irritated that he'd dare touch what wasn't his in the first place. But what was worse...? He obviously knew it had been Clara that took the bags of food back. He'd been watching her. Her eyes were narrowed, her expression grave.

Clara tensed, her heart rapidly beating as she met his lecherous gaze. He was not a good man, she knew that much without much more conversation. He did not mean her well and she needed to get away from him sooner rather than later. His fingers touched her new necklace, brushing against her skin in the process, which brought a powerful wave of nausea to the surface. "I can't imagine there is an honest bone in your body...Any of you..." She snapped, raising her hand to slap his hand away from her. "That food wasn't yours to take. It was never meant for you..." She stood from the river bank, trying to put some form of distance between them, but she was terribly outnumbered.

"How about you try and find a decent living in the city instead of looking for hand outs?" She growled, her patience worn thin. She had seen too many groups of bandits wreak havoc on the innocent and poor. Despite her fear, her sense of justice was stronger, making her foolishly brave in the face of the five men. "Get away from me. I'm not giving you anything or helping you in any way..." Clara snapped.

The weasel faced man didn’t like Clara, or the way she spoke. His sickening grin soon turned sour as she spoke, her voice dripping with contempt and sarcasm. His eyes narrowed suspiciously. Everything about her screamed of the high and mighty, those who think themselves better than men like him. The nobility. This whole affair suddenly became much more interesting now that he imagined her as some noble lord’s daughter, sneaking out to… well just to sneak out, as an act of rebellion. He chuckled to himself as he too stood up.
“Now that wasn’t very nice, was it?” He said condescendingly once her tirade was over. He nursed the hand that she had slapped as if she had done any real damage. “Tell me, does your father know you’re out here? Wandering the streets as if you’re some noble hero?” He asked, before nodding to one of the huge men behind her, who moved to grand subdue her, to wrap his large, muscular arms around her in a constricting manner. The weasel faced man just continued speaking. “You can keep your sacks of food, after all I’m sure your noble father will be grateful for your safe return. Oh and the disciplining of your disrespect.” To emphasise his point, the slender man lashed out at her face with the back of his hand. “You see, you nobles can dress up like common adventurers all your want, you can play at being heroes or being like us common folk all you want, but the truth is that you’re all the same.” He snarled.

Kaden’s eyes snapped open at the distant sound of an impact. A fist landing and the sounds of a struggle. Leaping to his feet, he rushed to the edge of the roof. Scanning the river bank, he quickly spotted Clara, surrounded by the five men.
“Shit.” He muttered, an irrational rage filling him. It wasn’t for any kind of connection to Clara or a particular sympathy or protectiveness he might have felt for her. Instead, his rage was fuelled for his hatred of bandits, thieves and rogues of all sorts. He had seen first hand the work of bandits and men like this. He’d seen the way they’d treated people, the dead and ruined left in their wake. As he stepped back from the edge, there was no doubt in his mind how this would end. Seconds later and her ran at the edge and threw himself off the roof,

Magic cushioned Kaden’s landing as he rolled, coming to his feet in the middle of the group and drawing his longsword in one swift, laid motion. He levelled it at the weasel faced man, his posture and confidence marking him out as the leader.
“One chance. Let the girl go.” Kaden snarled. His dark cloak billowed around him. The weasel faced man laughed ecstatically.
“And just who are you?” He asked. “A valiant knight, stalking the streets to save pretty damsels? Or a noble protector bound to his charge?” Kaden’s eyes narrowed ever so slightly; he didn’t like the second option. He wondered what she’d told them or said to them. He’d find out afterwards and then he’d lock her up in her damn chambers! An almost imperceptible nod from the leader gave Kaden his clue to move.

Stepping to the side, Kaden spun and raise his blade to meet the overhead slash of one of the thugs behind him. The blade bit into his wrist, before proceeding to severe hand from arm. The brute screamed in agony and staggered away, as another charged. A lightning fast thrust from Kaden saw the longsword pierce his chest. It dripped with blood as he pulled it from the attackers chest, who fell to the ground with a heavy thud. The third thug was lucky and managed to deflect Kaden’s first blow, but the second cleaved downwards, where shoulder meets neck. With a sickening squelch he pulled his blade free and his palm connected to the bandit’s chest in a blast of magic, sending him into the river.
Turning to face the weasel faced leader, Kaden watched as he ran away, followed by the first thug clutching his bleeding wrist. The bodyguard took a step to follow, before forcing himself to stop. He turned and levelled his blade at the fourth of the huge thugs, who had moved to restrain the princess. He’d barely broken a sweat, but there was an angry bloodlust in his eyes. It didn’t take long for the final attacker to flee, leaving Kaden facing Clara, a dead bandit between them, blood seeping from his chest.
“Are you hurt?” Was all Kaden asked, lowering his sword, hands still shaking with anger.

Clara’s eyes narrowed with malice. She just despised men like him. When he mentioned her father, she tensed. Did he know who she was? Had something she said given her away? Clara moved to back up a step, her nerves on high alert. But then she felt hard muscles wrap around her, holding her tightly and uncomfortably. “Let me go!” She snapped, struggling in the large man's grasp. It did no good, her struggles didn't even phase the man. Her struggles were worthless. “I don't know what you're talking about!” Clara tried to tell him. They were going to take her! Were they going to hold her for a ransom? Fear unlike any other seized her and she continued struggling, at least until she felt the sting of the weasels hand against her face. Clara cried out, both from the surprise and the sudden pain that blossomed across her cheek. It quieted her complaints and struggle for the moment, but the heat in her glare remained. She could feel the burn in her cheek as it turned red from his strike. “You're a pathetic lot…” Clara hissed.

Before the man could pay her back for her comment they were all interrupted, Kaden appearing with his sword drawn. Relief flooded her, but she had her doubts that Kaden could take on five bandits alone. Regardless, she was sure he was angry with her and if they made it out alive she would not be let off easy. “Kaden,” She gasped, flinching when the grip holding her tightened in response to her guards appearance. Kaden made his move, his attacks swift and clean. She realized then that she had never seen Kaden in action, mostly because she hadn't gotten into trouble to warrant such. It was both mesmerising and terrifying to watch. Blood spewed from the injuries he inflicted, a hand detaching from one man's arm. A chest pierced straight through. Clara wanted to look away but found herself unable to stop watching. One after the other, Kaden delivered a merciless punishment. When it looked like he was going to follow after the fleeing leader, she panicked. Was he going to leave her there with the last thug still holding her? But then he seemed to stop, turning to focus his attention on the man whose chest she was being held against. The pure anger in Kaden’s gaze terrified her so she wasn't surprised when the bandit released her, quickly fleeing while he still had the chance.

The two of them alone, Clara’s attention drifted to the dead bandit on the riverbank between them. Kaden lowered his sword and his spoken question made her jump. Wide eyes lifted to look at him and a small hand pressed against her red cheek. “I-I'm fine…” The Princess quickly answered. Other than the few cuts and bruises she'd acquired from the barn, her cheek had been the only thing to suffer from the bandits. Hurt. No. Shaken? Yes.

Clara dropped her hand and stepped away from the bleeding body at their feet, putting some distance between her and the riverbank as well. “Thank you..for stopping them...” She added, her gaze downcast for a moment as she tried to steady her nerves. She slowly settled her eyes on Kaden, as if she were waiting for him to unleash his anger on her. “I didn't mean…” She stopped, unsure of what she was trying to say. She was worried that anything she said would only make him more mad. “I'm sorry…” She wrapped her arms around herself and gently cleared her throat. “Let's go back?” She suggested softly. Maybe he wouldn't say anything? Clara was watching him with a cautious expression, her nerves still uneasy from everything that had happened. “I won't go...anywhere tomorrow…” She added quickly, hoping the promise would also slash away any anger he was harboring. “A..a quiet night in..” The Princess offered a small smile, "Kaden?" She murmured, looking for some sign on how he was going to react.

Kaden’s eyes were distant, watching the flowing river as Clara spoke. The burning rage he’d directed at the bandits had now transitioned into a calm, white hot anger. He was annoyed that the leader had gotten away, annoyed that he had allowed Clara to get herself into this situation, annoyed at her continued insolence and rebellion. He took deep, calming breaths, not wanting to let his temper get the better of him and say something he might out of line. Kaden might be her bodyguard, be Clara was still the princess and he had to show her some respect. As much as it might please him he couldn’t be seen to be yelling at her in the streets.
“You’ll forgive me, your highness,” he began with a bitter chuckle, “if past experience leads me not to believe you.” The mercenary stooped to his knees and wiped his blade clean on the dirty shirt of the dead bandit, smearing it with blood. When he stood he finally looked at her, sheathing his blade. The way she stood, arms wrapped around herself reminded him how young and vulnerable she was. With her upbringing she’d likely have never seen the kind of violence he had just wrought upon the thugs. She'd have seen a lot worse had I not turned up, he thought.“Come, let’s take a walk. And pull your cloak up.” He said in a softer voice, gesturing for her to walk beside him.

Kaden led the way back through the city streets, however he took Clara on a detour through the night market. He spoke very little to her apart from the occasional order to stay close. Wandering the stalls and haggling merchants, he worked his way to a trader whose stall boasted a large collection of weaponry. The trader eyed the two of them, noticing the hilt of Kaden’s longsword.
“Ah, hello friend, I see you’re a man of taste, looking for more fine steel.” The trader said, gesturing to the longsword.
“Aye, but nothing too fancy, just a simple short sword.” Kaden said, flashing a charming smile.
“Not to worry, I've plenty of blades to choose from.” The trader grinned, eager to to get down to business. He truly did seem to have just about everything possible; Kaden spent the following minutes looking over the merchant's wares, discussong the values of each weapon and their positive and negative traits. He had steel blades, silver blades, curved ones, jewelled swords, and all manner of other weaponry to choose from.
“What about this one?” The merchant offered, holding out a steel blade. It was clearly new and highly polished to a gleam. It was plain except for the engraved cross guard and the gem in the hilt.
“I think this one instead.” Kaden said, picking up a sturdy, older looking blade. Then, despite having enough money to pay the asking price outright, he proceeded to haggle for a few minutes. Finally when he walked away with the new blade in it’s leather scabbard, his charming facade melted away only to be once more replaced with his gloomy, brooding frown.

It was only as he slipped through the the broken section of the Castle wall that he spoke to Clara again, the two of the wandering across the castle grounds.
“This is yours, if you want it.” He explained, holding up the short sword. “My job is to keep you safe, not keep you locked, though the gods know that would make it so much easier. However, if you insist on sneaking out to play hero, fine. But you should atlas know how to defend yourself. If you want, it’s yours and i’ll teach you how to use it.” The mercenary offered, holding out the sword for the princess to take it and get a feel for it. “Although I will take you up on the offer of a quiet evening tomorrow. Besides I think your father mentioned that you have visiting royalty tomorrow, seeking your hand in marriage, so I presume you’ll be too exhausted from all that socialising.” Kaden added, a twinkle of humour in his eyes. He hoped she would see his actions as an olive branch of sorts, a way for them to gain a kind of mutual respect. He thought he’d reacted quite well to the evenings events, though he was saving the lectures for another day when she was less shaken.

A stubborn look crossed her expression when he commented on not believing her, but she remained silent. Her gaze followed him as he dropped to clean off his blade, a memory of the previous moments seizing her attention. Clara tensed, biting her tongue to stop any sound from escaping her lips. She was still holding herself tightly when his voice, softer now, infiltrated her mind. She focused on him and offered a small nod as she lifted her cloak above her head. Her hair was tucked away beneath the hood and she quickly stepped to join him at his side. He hadn't directed his anger to her, for which she was thankful, but she still couldn't settle her frazzled nerves. Clara had run from bandits before, in the days she'd wandered the city without Kaden watching over her. But she had never directly interacted with them. She'd certainly never witnessed such bloodshed right in front of her face either.

Her mind wandered as she followed Kaden through the city, too distracted to pay much attention to where he was leading them. She did however remain closely attached to his side. It was the first time she’d followed him so quietly and obediently. When they stopped, she gently bumped into his shoulder, startling herself. She kept herself hidden within the folds of her cloak while he conversed with the weapons merchant. Her curiosity was pulled and she leaned closer to watch from around his shoulder, her eyes following the merchants hands as they showed Kaden different blades. The blade the merchant suggested was eye catching and Clara found herself eying it up closely. But Kaden pointed out a different blade, still well made but lacking the luster of the other. Her mind drifted again while he haggled for price, but one thing she did take note of was the charm he seemed so easily able to express for the merchant. When he finished up, they walked away, his mood visibly dropping again.

They were silent the rest of the way to the castle and Clara quickly slipped through the broken Castle wall before Kaden stopped her. They were crossing the lush grass when she turned to regard him curiously. “Mine?” She questioned softly, her eyes dropping from his face to the short sword he held out. Her expression brightened at what he explained, her hands reaching out to cradle the blade carefully. “You'll really teach me?” She couldn't believe it. Clara held the blade in her hand, testing the weight and imagining the powerful feeling of protecting herself for once. “Thank you, Kaden…” Her excitement was obvious, but she tried to reign it in for Kaden’s sake.

The mention of the following day tore away some of her joy. “I'm sorry-what?” Clara knew nothing of visiting royalty or prospective suitors. Why hadn't her father said anything? Kaden seemed amused but she was horrified. Slipping the blade behind her cloak she turned her attention back to getting inside the castle. She had no desire to entertain any royals and she hoped Kaden was joking, though she doubted it. Her father likely didn't tell her because he knew she would do everything in her power to avoid showing up. Slipping through the kitchens and servants stairwell, they found her floor and she saw her chamber door in the distance.

Turning to look at Kaden she offered him a smile, “I want to learn...Thank you…” She expressed again. “Tomorrow I will give you a break...but can we start the following evening?” There was a hope and determination in her eyes that couldn't be missed. She wouldn't go out the following evening as she had promised. But that didn't mean she wasn't going to hide herself somewhere among the castle grounds to avoid whatever royal suitor was visiting. “Good night…” She told him before turning on her heel and crossing the hall to her room. Once inside she hid the short sword beneath her bed and dressed for the night. She was still filthy but she didn't have the energy to care.

Clara slept soundly for the most part, but in the early hours she awoke with a startled yelp. Something in her dreams had scared her, but upon waking she promptly forgot what it was. With a slight headache she pulled herself out of bed. She was actually glad she woke before any of her ladies arrived to get her ready, it meant she had a better chance of hiding. Clara still hadn't bothered to wipe the dirt from her cuts or scrapes and simply changed into a dark green dress, light and easy to sneak around in. The sleeves were long and the neckline cut across her chest. After braiding her hair down her back she slipped from her room and down the servants stairway. As always she snuck through the kitchen and into the fresh air outside. But unlike her usual adventures, she didn't leave the castle grounds. Clara headed for the stables, where she found herself a little corner to hide. The Princess spent some time petting and cooing at the horses before she wandered into an empty stall filled with hay. Her exhaustion returned and soon enough she fell asleep, nestled deeply in the hay as the sun rose outside.

Kaden couldn’t help but smile at Clara’s excitement as he handed her the sword. It was almost infectious and for a terrifying moment he thought she would hug him. Instead she just took the sword from him. Kaden watched with an analytical gaze as she tested it’s weight, getting a feel for it. Already he could tell there would be a dozen bad habits to beat out of her, instilled by her listening to fantastical tales no doubt. Regardless, the way she held the sword gave him hope that she would one day be a competent, decent swordswoman. That is, if she doesn’t get herself killed in the meantime.
“I will really teach you, you have my word. We’ll start the day after tomorrow.” Kaden promised. “As long as you promise not to use what I teach you to hack apart some poor prince looking for your hand in marriage.” He added shooting the young princess a wry grin as they walked back to her room, aware that he had clearly ruined the king’s surprise for Clara. Eventually they reached their chambers.
“Good night, princess.” Kaden said, watching as she crossed the corridor and slipped inside through the door. He waited for several moments before quietly stepping closer. His fingers gently brushed the door as he muttered ancient words of protection. Satisfied, her turned and slipped like a shadow into his own chambers. Wearily he undressed, hanging his cloak and sword belt on the hooks near the door. As the mercenary sat on the edge of the bed he kicked his boots off, sighing as he laid back. He was very much looking forward to his evening off. He closed his eyes for just a moment.

And when Kaden opened his eyes next it was morning and there was a chiming in his ear. Quickly he bolted upright, pulling on his boots. Sunlight streamed through the windows and the protective magic around Clara’s door had been broken. Someone had been in or out. Slipping from his chambers, he greeted a passing servant with a smile and a nod. When the corridor was empty he quietly entered Clara’s room, mentally cancelling his protective magic without a second thought. The princess wasn’t in her chambers and there was no sign of a struggle or a fight. The odds were she had simply snuck out, perhaps in the hopes of avoiding mingling with the visiting nobles. Kaden relaxed slightly, returning to his chambers to dress for the day. With visiting nobles, he had to look the part of a royal bodyguard. He dressed in a smart sapphire doublet trimmed with silver, black trousers and his best leather boots. He opted for no cloak and attached his sword to his belt.

With a hand resting on the pommel of his sword he left his chambers in search of the princess, only to be stopped by the king.
“Kaden! Do tell, where has my daughter skulked off to this morning?”
“That’s what I’m about to work out now, your majesty.” Kaden said, bowing in greeting.
“Good, see that you find her and that she eats soon. Our guests wish to meet her.” He paused for moment in thought. “Once she’s eaten escort her to the gardens. The weather’s lovely today and I’ll bring our guests out to meet her.”
“Yes, your majesty.” Kaden bowed before taking his leave in search of the princess.
“You might try the stables first.” The king called after him.

Sure enough, Kaden heeded the king’s advice and found Clara in the stables, nestled in the hay and asleep. He took a moment to watch her. In his short time as her protector, kaden had rarely seen her this still and calm. He found himself in that moment admiring her beauty, something he hadn’t truly noticed before in all his frustration. Realising the inappropriate nature of his thoughts, he pulled himself away, instead opting to pet one of the horses.
‘Peaceful, isn’t she?” He murmured, “for a change.” Finally he left the horse and returned to the princess with his voice raised.
“Rise and shine your highness!” He shouted, “The kingdom waits for no-one, so let’s move!”

When Kaden shouted to wake her up, Clara jumped, jolted right out of her dream in a panic. Her eyes were wide as she sat up, pieces of hay sticking to the braid down her back and around her face. It took a moment, her chest rising and falling rapidly from her sudden fright, for her to realize what had woken her up. Her head still hurt as she looked up to see Kaden not too far from her. "K-Kaden?" She stammered, lifting a hand to rub the sleep from her eyes. Finally, Clara started to calm down, rubbing her temples gently to work away the headache that just didn't want to budge. "What's going on? How did you find me?" She murmured. But before he even gave her a response, she nodded her head in understanding, "My father..." Clara mumbled. The man knew all of her hiding spots.

Slowly she stood up, wavering a little on her feet before she brushed the hay from her dress. "I'm not going..." Clara mumbled, lifting a defiant gaze to look at Kaden. "I have no interest in whoever my father invited..." She muttered irritably, "But I don't really have a choice do I?" She looked at the man in front of her and sighed, her shoulders slumping in a rather unladylike fashion. He was given his directions from her father, he couldn't exactly disobey them, could he? She already knew he'd been directed to find her and bring her along for whatever her father had planned. But she really didn't want to go.

Meanwhile, the King was entertaining the visiting Lord and his Father. Both individuals were from a wealthy land far to the north of the Kingdom, their darker features giving them away as foreign. Their hair was jet black, their eyes almost appearing garnet, the red hue eerie among the rest of their sharp features. Killian and Victor. Victor was a tall man, his shoulders broad, and his face aged well. His son, Killian, and Clara's apparent suitor, though handsome, looked cold and unwelcoming - at least when nobody was looking. When the King's focus shifted to him he turned into the most charming of men. All smiles and compliments. The King led them through the castle, giving them a formal tour of the grounds as he tried to entertain them. He saw the pair as a great chance at an alliance with distant lands. And since Killian was looking for a bride, it only made sense to use Clara's hand as a bargaining chip.

Clara stepped away from the pile of hay she had been sleeping in and passed Kaden, her eyes heavy with her unease. She didn't feel well at all, her headache still lingering from whatever bad dreams she had been having in the early morning. "Are you escorting me to this little meeting?" She asked softly, turning on her heel as she passed him so she could walk backwards and watch him follow her. Clara carefully moved out of the stables, headed back towards the main castle. She sighed, rolling her eyes in frustration, "I assume, my father wants to meet in the Gardens?" She asked, though she already knew the answer. Her father loved the outdoors and had guests in the gardens at every chance he got.

Clara turned around, facing forward as they reached the entrance through the kitchens that she liked to use all the time. As she passed through, she grabbed a small roll from one of the tables, as well as an apple to munch on. She hoped the food would help her head. They ascended the stairs, heading through the back hallway that would lead them to the corridor where her chambers were located. She stopped in front of the door, looking over her shoulder at Kaden, "Come in...I want your opinion..." She said softly, pushing the door open and then taking a bite of her apple. Clara motioned to her room, "Sit wherever...." She murmured softly, setting the roll down in front of a vanity table and keeping the apple in her hand. Kaden had his choices between the stool in front of the vanity, her bed, and a small setee bench not far from her closet. "I don't want to impress this nobleman that my father has invited...Which I am sure you have already assumed..." Clara looked over at Kaden with a small smile. "So will you tell me which dress you think looks the least likely to impress one?"

Kaden briefly smiled to himself as Clara jolted awake. The way that the hay stuck to her hair and face, along with her wild eyes, certainly made for an amusing image. Her bodyguard was certainly adept from keeping the smile off his face now that she was awake, though there was a humorous look in his eyes.
“Apologies Princess, I didn’t mean to startle you, but your father has requested your presence.” Kaden said, keeping up formality as he watched the young princess rub the sleep from her eyes and puzzled out just how Kaden had found her. Her father of course.
“The man has sharper eyes and more wisdom than you give him credit for.” Kaden explained as she stood, brushing the hay from her dress, mumbling irritably, defiance in her eyes. He had hoped the day would be easy but something about her attitude told him that she was going to make his day as difficult as possible.
“We all must do things we do not wish to.” Kaden said, plucking a stray piece of hay from her hair, before gesturing that she should lead the way. “Besides, what if this man turns out to be handsome and charming and everything you could ever want from a man?” Kaden asked as he fell in line behind Clara, “Maybe he’a a noble and valiant hero, slayer of evil dragons and other monsters. Or perhaps, just possibly, this alliance will be beneficial to the people you will one day rule. Would that not make it worth it?”

Had Kaden known that the suitor the King had found for Clara was a North Man he likely wouldn’t have been so positive. The mercenary hadn’t had dealings wth Victor and Killian directly, but he’d dealt with the northerners before and it rarely ended well.
The kingdom to the north was a harsh land with harsh rulers. They prided strength in combat and the ability to dominate their opponents; a hunger to always have the upper hand which extended into every aspect of their lives. The nobles ruled with iron fisted justice. They claimed to be a fair nation that putting the needs of society above the needs of the individual. A noble sentiment, Kaden thought, if it weren’t for the fact that the upper classes enjoy lavish feasts and extravagant luxuries, whole the common people struggled to get by. Rumours also came from the north that the nobles engaged in slavery and worse; necromancy and demon worship. Kaden wasn’t one to put much stock in rumours, yet he’d encountered one too many northern slavers or necromancers for his liking. Their’s was a dark country best avoided. The king however, had a different opinion.
No doubt he was also apprehensive about welcoming the North Men into his kingdom, however Killian and his father, Victor, were especially charming. Their easy smiles and reassuring stories of their homeland were enough to put the king’s mind at ease, especially when combined with the considerable wealth they offered.

Kaden watched Clara with a sharp eye as she turned to watch him, walking backwards. More than once a serving girl had to scurry out of the way not to collide with the princess. Kaden just sighed before answering her questions.
“Yes, I have been instructed to escort you to the gardens. But on the plus side your father will likely want to take them on a hunt for the feast this evening. They’ll likely not ask you along so you’ll have the castle to yourself for a few hours. But remember your promise; No Adventures!” Kaden spoke quietly for the last part, yet his voice was every bit as stern as usual. “You’re to eat as well, so grab something from the kitchens.” Kaden added, remembering her father’s orders.

The mercenary followed Clara through the kitchens and into the castle until they reached her chambers. He paused outside, before tensing slightly as she asked him inside for his opinion. This was no place for him, especially as she needed to change. Reluctantly he followed her inside.
“I-I would prefer to stand.” He said, before adding quietly “Preferably outside.” Yet he stood near the door, hands clasped behind his back as he watched and listened to the princess. He wasn’t shocked to hear that she was planning on putting the visiting noble off, however she could, yet he felt uncomfortable that she chose to ask for his opinion.
“Your highness this is no place for your bodyguard or my opinion, perhaps I should send for your ladies in waiting?” He protested.

Clara was truly hoping her father wanted to take their guests out on a hunt in the evening because she wanted to relax for once. Kaden wanted her to remember her promise, that she wouldn't go on any adventures. The comment had made her laugh, he had been so stern in tone, but he'd said it in a quiet voice. When she'd asked him into her chambers, and he had hesitated, but she didn't comment on such hesitancy. She knew it was likely improper for her to invite him past her door, but everyone was otherwise busy. When he refused a seat, she turned and looked at him with a frown. He was standing near the door and looked clearly uncomfortable. "Kaden...I need your help...My ladies in waiting will not give me the help I need..." She said, her tone growing frustrated. "They want me to impress the nobleman I am sure...It would mean they get to travel away from this land...." Clara forced her shoulders back so she didn't show her disappointment. "They are also women..." She said with an obvious grin. "You....are not....Which is why you are valuable in this situation..."

A small laugh escaped her as she disappeared into the adjoining room where all of her gowns were kept. When she resurfaced she held up two different gowns. One was obviously more like what her father would want her to wear. A deep purple fabric, thick and elegant in style. The neckline was reserved enough to be proper, but the bodice would hug her in a way that curious eyes would appreciate. It was the gown a Princess looking for a suitor should wear, and it was why she didn't want to wear it. She honestly wanted to wear the linen dress she had on, the fabric was light and soft, and it amused her that there were still pieces of hay clinging to the ends of the fabric. The other dress in her hand was much simpler. Of a deep blue hue, the fabric was light and airy, giving Clara the freedom to move unhindered. It wasn't much different from what she was wearing in terms of style. While it wasn't boring, it wasn't flashy like the Lords she'd met in the past like. It was a gown for someone that was interesting in things beyond ballrooms, dancing, and jewels. A dress she could lay in while reading in the library, or sneaking around her father's office to look at political documents she had no business reading. But the best thing about the dress? It would give the impression that while she cared somewhat of her appearance, she didn't care to dress up for their visitors. That they weren't important to her at all.

Holding both gowns up for Kaden, she explained her opinion on each and waited for his response. "The blue, correct?" She asked, her eyes hopeful. "You like the blue one, do you not?" Clara insisted. She doubted Kaden liked the overdone details of the purple gown. He seemed more down to earth and she assumed he'd be the exact opposite of their guests. Which meant she wanted to dress in something a man like him would enjoy. It didn't occur to her what that might mean.

"Maybe I will just stay here.." She murmured softly, her arms lowering and the dresses dropping to the floor. "But nonetheless...You are free tonight..." She told him, offering a small smile if not a sad one. "I will either be accompanied by my father and our guests or I will be in the library all evening. There will be no adventuring. I promise you this..." Clara assured him. "You are free to do something you enjoy tonight instead of chasing me around the city..." Clara bent and picked up the blue dress again, knowing it was the one she wanted to wear. But a thought occurred to her. Was she being childish? Running away from the fate she was born with. As a Princess she was raised to be married off in the effort of making alliances. That was her fate. Nothing else. Wasn't she just hurting her father by treating it as a game? The emotions were clear on her face as she stared down at the dress.

Meanwhile, The King and his guests had settled in the garden. The King told stories of recent battles won and areas he had improved upon, trying to brag about their lands. He also spoke of his daughter, who he claimed was both smart and respectful. Trying to insist that though she could be willful, she could also be a good bride. Killian and Victor drank their tea and humored the King, letting him ramble on about whatever it was he chose to. They had their own motives to be concerned with and nothing the King said would change that.

Back
Top Bottom