Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Why Original Over Fandom-Based RPs?

LadyAthene

Supernova
So before I go too far into the main point of this thread, I wanna add a few disclaimers and apologize.

First and foremost, this is very likely gonna be long. Like, really long. Sorry in advance.

But this is something that I've been finding myself wondering more and more recently, particularly since I became active again here and on a small handful of other sites.

Disclaimer number two comes in the form of a confession; I will quickly admit this is all probably very biased as far as my questions/curiosities go. My request threads already say this - but for those who don't know me - I will almost always accept a fandom/fandom-inspired RP over an original.

Last - but certainly not least - here's disclaimer number three. This may or may not be posted in the wrong forum, and I'm sorry again. If this is deemed to be a decent topic for the BMA, feel free to move it. I was originally going to put it in the Anime/Manga section, but opted against it since this is asking questions regarding said topics and not recommending any.

So my main curiosity is why do a lot of the users here have the opposite preferences?

Is it simply because of not having much time to read/watch fandoms?

Here's part of the thing that takes me slightly aback. Fandoms - by default and definition - are not restricted to only anime and manga. Books, TV series, video games --- all of these also fall under 'fandoms'. Also, a good chunk of various scenarios can be found and used off any fandom.

For example, wanna do something involving samurai? There's Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai X, and/or Samurai Champloo that you can use for a basis. And some (probably all, honestly, but I'm not 100% sure) of them are set in the Meiji timeline, offering a semi-historical feel in the process if that's what you're going for.

I do realize and understand using the setting takes away the challenge and ability to create your own world.

But I don't really feel that makes anyone less talented or capable of a writer. Actually, finding a way to take a pre-established setting and/or character(s) and create a legitimate story with them is just as rewarding [again, for me] as coming up with a brand new world.

Part of my bias may easily come from the fact I used to do acting. I can easily follow scripts, and that's actually why most canons are easy for me to pick up on and portray.

Note that this is not meant to try to shame anyone for not using fandoms or anything like that. But I really am curious why the amount of users here/overall online seems to be so low.

With some titles [particularly lesser-known ones], I can understand a bit more why.

But all in all?

It's just kinda odd for me to see/notice.

Like I tried to hint/say, there's a fandom for literally basically every genre and original pairing/scenario. From mafia and yakuza stories to wanting to write in a fantasy setting ... it's just as easy [more so for people like me who do prefer fandoms] to use fandom-based inspired sources than any original settings or plots.

Another thing I will admit for free; even I - despite my love for fan-based titles - can't deny that I am not overly fond of some of the more popular titles. Bleach, for example, is something I've never gotten into and am very unsure if I want to because of all the negative things I've heard about it.

Still, I suppose with this confession comes the difference in someone who's tried some fandoms versus someone who hasn't bothered watching/reading/playing/etc. any at all. Or not many, if any.

So - reposting the main point/inquiry of this thread here (although it is basically what the title asks): Why do you prefer originals over fandom/fandom-inspired RPs?

Annnnnnd ..... go!

-Athene

Some folks look down on 'fanfic' which I guess you could class it as, although that is not an issue for me, the following are:

*Buy In: Most fandoms need to be consumed, some need a lot of consumption. There are those I've already consumed a lot of (Star Trek) and those that seem to have a lot to consume, and I have no intention of doing so (Like, uh Naruto, I guess).

*Partner Equality in Knowledge: Yes there are wiki's to help, but no one likes being told 'yeah that's not the case anymore' a lot, and no one wants to be the person saying that all the time.

*Differing Interpretations: Is The Federation a hopeful, progressive organisation in Star Trek, or is it a quasi militaristic organization that pretends to be peaceful?

*Differing Interests: We may really like differing characters, or despise the ones or partners want to play.

That doesn't seem coherent, but they're mostly the reasons I tend to shy away from fandom RP's.

I'm fine either way myself, most of my RP's at the moment are fandoms but....from my experience I know some people have issues playing canon characters. Its something I've come across frequently, they just don't know how to play the character right and so don't end up wanting to do fandoms. That had been my reasoning for not doing fandoms for a very long time, I didn't believe I could play any of the Characters right. And certainly, there is the option of playing a fandom RP using only original characters but...from experience, people WANT some kind of involvement with the characters from that fandom or in some cases the story needs a canon character to tie together. People would want to do fandoms and want me to play canon characters but they refused, opting for an original character.

Thats just what I've noted since I've been RPing lol. I'm sure theres lots of other reasons some may prefer an original over a fandom.

For me in particular I like making my own worlds, my own characters. Playing in fandom universe stifles some of the creative liberties I enjoy. I'm not opposed to playing in fandom worlds and such, just not my first pick and the universe would have to be one I really, really like and still offers vast creative freedom. (star Wars, avatar last Airbender, pokemon/digimon, Harry Potter, as examples)

I’m somewhat into fandoms, including all the shipping, fanfics etc that comes alongside it, but I feel I’d be doing a disservice to the characters somehow by playing them. I wouldn’t be able to look at them the same way again. Besides, my preferred interaction type (FxF) has nowhere near as much potential as MxF, or even FxF, in most fandoms.

I guess I'm more of a mix for this topic.

I do fanfiction on the side every now and then. I currently have 2 that are WIP's (Walking Dead, and Skyrim). For the longest time i disliked it because it felt 'lazy' to write in a pre-established world with pre-established characters that already went through the whole development process. There's no sense of awe or surprise anymore. Especially if you've -really- been into the fandom.

But as a guilty pleasure for some fandoms I did start to just read them, and after a while of reading a lot of badly written stories and let's face it. Most fanfiction is written for self-fantasy and self-insertion just to hook up with your favorite character of said movie/series/game, whatever....

I like to think I'm more complex. I don't like reading or writing stories just so Character A can hook up with Character B. I want more. I want the focus to be on -the big picture- not the little feature which happens to be a 'ship'.

So I started writing fanfictions myself to satisfy that 'big picture' need. Do they have ships in it? Sure, but they're never the main focus of the story. In my Walking Dead fanfic I created to see how the group of survivors would evolve (or devolve) differently if you toss in extra characters that influence them. Will the same people die or live? Will some come out to be heroes still or will they for once become the villains? Etc...

But when it comes to RP I'd rather not use canons. I can write in a fandom setting but it has to be with original characters. Because i do not trust the other writer to portray the canons accurately without being biased or without having googly eyes for the fan-favorite. I do a buttload of research and make sure that the characters i pair with canons make sense and if they don't then i don't ship them, simple as that.

I love "fandom" rps. At times I even like using Canon characters, allthough I prefer original characters over canon.
I like using the world that is there already. I want to play the character, I don't want to spend a lifetime building the world. And most people have "basic" fandoms they can share and enjoy, without different knowledge levels.
For example: Im a hardcore Star Trek Nerd. Id NEVER play in the Star Trek universe, because... I will be nitpicky. I will tell my partner things like: "Oh come on for FUCK's sake, get your fact's straight. They didn't have replicators in NX-01. HUH? That's Captain Archer's Enterprise, you dumbass!"
Nooooo, I don't want that. I don't want people to ruin MY Star Trek.
Star Wars? No problem. Ive watched the movies several times, I feel versed enough to portray a creature from the universe, i love the setting, there's no problem for me there. *l* And Star Wars is one of the RARE occasions I'd play OC x Canon, because I spent the better part of my youth fantasizing about Han Solo.
Most people will know what kind of fantasy setting I want if I say: "LotR".
Most people will know what kind of fantasy setting I want to use if I say: "Hunger Games".
Then I have a nice scenery set, and my OCs can develop just the way they want to. It doesn't hurt to enocunter an OC now or then... but usually Im fine with a set world and fresh characters.
SoA... I'd never want to play in a Samcro setting, but a "Phoenix Atlanta never heard of before Chapter"? Suuuuuuure thing.
I think I'm rambling. I'll stop!

The reason why I stray towards original RP rather than playing in an established world with established characters is because I feel an extreme pressure to be authentic. It's probably just a product of me being insecure about the quality of my own writing, but especially when someone wants me to play a canon character in a canon setting, I can never find the motivation to write because I feel like my partner would judge me if my interpretation of the character doesn't match how they were portrayed in the source material. It detracts from my ability to enjoy the game because I'm constantly worried that I'm not doing a good enough job to write on par with professional writers, which is pretty much the opposite of why I RP. Hard to have fun if your neuroses are getting in the way.

I actually don’t mind fandom settings. I’ll gladly jump at the opportunity to join a Star Wars related RP, provided I know enough about the time period in play. And yes, there’s wikis galore, so what I don’t know I can easily find.

Along the same thought of “original vs fandom”... I don’t like playing as canon characters in any fandom setting. I’ve done it a few times, but I didn’t really enjoy it. I’ll gladly create a character to fit the setting.

I will play fandom settings, but I don't like using the characters that often unless I feel I can play THAT character. I really enjoy into my character's head and figuring out what they'd do and why they'd do it. If you're given a set of rules from the start I feel like I have to be true to the character and it takes away from my fun. Plus, if I don't know the character, I have to do research.....ugh!

I can do OCxOC in fandom/established settings, but with existing characters there's this pressure to do them justice, and everyone/every fan has their own interpretation of the character(s) to boot. Also I like worldbuilding and the freedom/not having to mind the canon/newest development means one less worry/task.

Mainly I just prefer my own characters. They're mine and I know how they think more often then not.

I dont feel comfortable writing other people's character, mainly because I feel i may not do them proper justice.

I tend to veer away from them, mainly because whenever I've tried fandom-based roleplays they've felt...forced. I suppose with original characters, I can immediately justify to myself why they're acting a certain way. In contrast, with a character from a show (or so on), I'm constantly questioning how genuine their actions feel and it stops me enjoying the role. I may just be a bad actor!

For me writing a "Canon" or established character is like writing with handcuffs on. You are limited not just in regards to the character's experiences but their personality as well. I don't mind using or borrowing from established universes (that is actually pretty fun) but using specific characters is frustrating for me as writer. And on top of that there is the problem of how your partner interprets that character vs. how you do.

A huge part of the 'joy' of writing, for me, is developing a character with wants and needs and a history that has shaped the person they've become.

For me, it's the differences in expectation and interpretation of canon characters between different people that keeps me away from fandom rps. I might fail to achieve their idea of who the canon character is supposed to be/how to act. And there's a lot more annoying prevalence of criticism which borderlines OOC god modding when engaging in fandom rp.

"X character wouldn't do or say that! He's emotional and sensitive!"

Well, I'm playing him and you asked me to play him. This is how I am playing him, so, back off. Like, letting a character grow or react to circumstances we've never seen them in before is taken as playing them "wrong".

Or we just might have different interpretations of who these characters are. I might go in asking for a character and the person agreeing to play them views them completely differently than I saw them/wanted. So, my expectations get let down. At least in original stories, I can ask for a particular type of personality trait without anybody breaking any rules or preset guidelines except for THAT personality trait.

I once had a gal try to tell me that Link from the Legend of Zelda series was a prisoner of Fate, trapped in this loop where he was just a puppet for the Gods. I can definitely see that as an interpretation but what if I just want to play fated-hero Link? One who isn't all angsty and tragic and reluctant about his destiny?

What I've been doing to fulfill my craving for fandom stories but avoiding those pesky "not seeing eye-to-eye" moments is I'll take a canon story, character, scene, etc. and break it down to its archetypes. What do I like out of the scenario? What is it I'm really hunting for?

For example:
• Limerence - fantasy romance, illicit affair​
Your character is a young Lady in a fantasy setting. Conflict is threatening her home, so, her father and mother send her to live in the seaside court of her widowed aunt, Noel. She arrives just in time for her aunt Noel to remarry my character, Guynn, a cunning, charming Lord from a neighboring group of isles. Despite being married to her very plain and obnoxious aunt, Guynn falls for the very pretty, inland Lady, and soon his attraction grows until he cannot hide it anymore. She tries to fight it but he makes her feel things she's never felt before. And things only become more complicated when aunt Noel becomes twisted by a vindictive and jealous spirit, tormenting her niece for "trying to steal her husband" from her.​

...that's Game of Thrones. ^^;; Specifically, the Littlefinger, Sansa, and Lysa subplot. I realized it's not really Littlefinger I want to play, nor specifically Sansa that I'd want to see another person play. More, that I like the plot dynamic of the illicit affair, the tension in the triangle, the drama of the suspicious, crazy aunt character. So, break it down to the parts I want, I can play my personal interpretation of Littlefinger while not feeling restrained by actually playing him and not failing to meet someone else's expectations.

Long story short, only to be extended on inquiry.

I worldbuild. It's an aim that's vastly overtaken my roleplaying interest. I'm just interested in developing content without adhering to the vision of another, and this is the core of the issue - each canon has its vision, and I cannot by rights botch how a canon works to suit my own desires. I have too much respect for the lore integrity of what I'm dealing with to be any less than uncomfortable with the prospect of handling something I'm not intimately familiar with, and canons where that applies are sparse indeed for me. Thus, I prefer either a generic context, something we can work with together, or my own, and the middle option still makes me a bit uncomfortable unless we really hit it off on the co-worldbuilding front.

Canon characters have a similar issue. They're not my vision. Unless I can get the complete sum of context on a character and absolutely want to, I'm not going to do it. Characters I make I know at very fundamental levels and have no interest in having my partners play them. I would extend the same courtesy for someone else's creation, exception being images as I have an uncanny will to just make up characters on the spot regardless of the image I see, and without context directly applied to it it's certainly not going to be what was originally intended.

Firstly an observation which spans a few different forums. People who are into Fandom's often post threads similar to this one where they wonder why not many people are into Fandom. Irony, the RT boards are saturated with Fandom requests... hmmmm... perhaps not many are into the same the source material? Personally I think it would be better to take the ideas and generalize them into something original so anyone might be able to play it.

So why I'm not into fandom's.

1/ EG: Years back I tried a Walking Dead RP when that show was actually good and I was into it. I quickly realized I couldn't think of the names of the main cast let alone anyone else. It felt like work, I had to think within the bounds and premise of the show. It was boring.

2/ I am not into a lot of the shows, games, movies etc that people mention when wanting these fandoms. In most cases I have never even heard of them.

3/ I don't want to write what has already been written. I don't want to play pre existing characters.

4/ I really don't understand why people can't just be influenced by something without cloning it. EG: I liked the Jessica Hamby character from True Blood, so instead of playing against "Jessica" herself, I took what I liked about her, sweet, naive, loyal, abandoned, confused and hurt and created a character and different backstory. See, now anyone can play, you don't have to be a True Blood fan or know who Jessica Hamby is!

4/ I really don't understand why people can't just be influenced by something without cloning it. EG: I liked the Jessica Hamby character from True Blood, so instead of playing against "Jessica" herself, I took what I liked about her, sweet, naive, loyal, abandoned, confused and hurt and created a character and different backstory. See, now anyone can play, you don't have to be a True Blood fan or know who Jessica Hamby is!

Great observations about fandoms being prevalent but nobody seeking the same things. Another good reason to not limit yourself to the canon material. It seems to be very hard to get people interested in any niche fandoms mostly because fewer people are in the fandom itself.

Great observations about fandoms being prevalent but nobody seeking the same things. Another good reason to not limit yourself to the canon material. It seems to be very hard to get people interested in any niche fandoms mostly because fewer people are in the fandom itself.

It's funny because when I started RP'ing on forums like this just over a decade ago Fandoms were a niche thing. Slice of Life type RP's were the dominant genre. Now it seems virtually every RT is Fandom or has Fandom in it. But unless it is super popular like GOT for example I don't think they have much success in finding partners. I have seen threads like this a number of times on different forums.

@Dirty Fingers I think you and I had good ideas for that middle ground where the desire to play out the core scenario and relationship dynamics is a good compromise. Where, instead, you just take inspiration from what you liked about it, presenting it as original so that anybody can look at it and find interest. Granted, it doesn't come with the faceclaim(although, arguably, you could still use it) nor the entire canon lore and backstory but often, that is the point. If someone hasn't watched your show/anime, then they're not going to know any of that background and history stuff anyway.

For me, it comes down to "how long do I want to wait/be disappointed by nobody answering my ad or being good for the part?" I don't want to wait. I want to write my craving. Thus, if there is something I like from a book or show, I take that part and make it my own and get more interest from people.

I. Worlds: While not all canons use different established worlds, some do. Some actually invest a lot of lore within their worlds. Sometimes not all people are familiar with the lore. Some(canon works) actually care about the world that was built and there in lies problem. It involves too much research depending on the extremity or complexity of world. Fantasy examples: Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and certain Light Novels of Japan(Overlord, Re:Monster) among many others in both regards of american novels or Japanese light novels. As a World Builder I am not going to go blind into a RP world that I have little common knowledge about. I know some can easily scream 'research,' but it isn't that easy. You know the buttloads of various wiki information divided about these worlds that are dedicated to said worlds?

Original concepts are lesser broad in nature. Original concepts can make their world their way, even by borrowing various ideas and shaping and reforming them into something less challenging for people that don't want to waste or invest time trying to get familiar with something. Of course it is different strokes for different folks. You will have your groups that may be fixated more on canon works and have knowledge and don't want to bother with original world. You have your people that just as much don't want to waste time learning a canon work or maybe they do not want to spoil a canon work depending how events are going in the world. It just seems more complicated to me using canon worlds because that also in lies the question at what point in history within that canon world is the RP taking place? From the start? After x amount of chapters or series in? Somewhere in the distant future?

II. Characters: I. Hate. Canon. Characters. This is my personal intake on it, but this is another issue within itself. Canon characters revolve around a players knowledge of how that character operates and how to play them out to fit what their character may do or be expected to do. As some list above, this can cause conflict within itself.f I know a lot of folks want to do this canon character paired with that canon character on the site, fanfic is fine and all; but it isn't everyone's cup of tea. As a writer I find it rather restricting, I have to play with the mindset of someone else's character in mind. As a roleplayer, I write all my characters with diverse identities within themselves, they have their own 'skin,' conjured from my mentality. These are masks that I made and played; but asking or expecting me to play a canon character is just as easily telling me to wear someone else's ballroom mask. I am sure other people have various reasons of why they don't play canon characters as well; but in RP I do not want to play or touch something I didn't create. The only raw alternative is if I play something to just make fun of canon in itself; like some world recruiting canon characters from various dimensions where I chose something or someone 'lame,' that I am familiar with.

Original characters are easier to make and get involved with. I suppose a point of creativity challenge can arise here. I know a lot of fandom players will claim it takes a lot of creativity to play in an existing character. Yes. I am sure it does, not to sound sarcastic or anything there. Though original characters have their own identities about them; their own personas that just as much makes them-them. Canons are borrowed identities that someone else made. A lot of people often have similar issues or just don't want to play someone or be paired with someone from some existing 'whatever known works.' Sometimes even I question what is more creative? Sitting down and spending time making a character from scratch and playing it out or just resulting to using someone else's premade character out there in whatever known fiction? Though I often believe those players that actually sit down, take the time in investing in creating their character, are generally more concern for that creation and are a more promising partner depending on the effort put behind in the character. (As I have a solo PM game where characters have sheets, backgrounds, personalities, and all manner of written things with a partner. Yes, characters, plural, multiple roles between me and partner with complex sheets behind them for main roles.)

III. Concept: I suppose this can reflect towards both former established points I made; but I feel like it is a premise of its own accord. There are various ideas spun from Canon works that people want to do fanfic about. You know, I been on many RP sites where all I seen was a flood of all sorts of fanfic group games to the point hat it has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Yes, in this day and age it is hard to really be 'original.' This is just an equal problem that those invest time in preference to original characters and worlds have as well. Still, the concept of approach to a canon world is a factor of its own. What makes this canon pairing stand out more than anything? What makes this canon project special? Just exactly where are you going with the idea you have for so and so? Etc, etc. Though from what I seen in solo requests it is usually geared more towards this pairing with that pairing; so I am sure the concepts aren't anything at large and probably just some dirty kinks to iron out(but hey, this is an adult site.) The main point of concept was geared more towards those that cared about group projects as oppose to solo works. Like, did they have a real direction or are they just borrowing established plotlines and rolling with it?

Which brings us back to original concepts. The thing is. There are no original concepts and very little these days. You will see x amount of school settings/slice of life settings and all that going on. Even different games of different genres had still been done plenty of times. I haven't really bothered looking at the 'group requests,' to see what is 'mainstreaming,' now. Though in my former experience I seen countless fantasy ideas. I seen ideas where someone hosted a concept then bam, other people host different concepts of the same general genre and idea when it wasn't a thing. Such as a Sci-fi group request rising and then five more hitting a similar page shortly afterwards when it wasn't 'mainstreaming.' I have seen very few concepts that are as probably original as one can get. I did remember one idea of a game revolving something around a world where everything was literally black and white. I was interested in that, but as roleplayer, I wasn't sure how well I could play in it given I heavily rely on color itself to paint my surroundings(I just can't fathom a world without it. Though I suppose it is less different than playing a blind character.)

Which also is another problem. The more original the concept, the less likely it is going to get interest and become a thing.

I love both. I love my own version, and I love playing a character I love.
Like The Goodman, it is generally the situation I am looking for more than precise characters. I've had actually some Petyr/Sansa TYPE stories, without them being Petyr and Sansa. Even when looking for fandom, I will often precise that looks and names don't matter and can change, basically making it original.

Back
Top Bottom