Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

..::Hᴀ, I ɢᴏᴛ ʏᴏᴜ!::.. [Sɪɢʀ & Iʀᴏɴɪᴄ)

Ironic

ɪꜱɴ’ᴛ ɪᴛ 𝓘𝓻𝓸𝓷𝓲𝓬, ᴅᴏɴᴛᴄʜᴀ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ?
Staff member
Eerily the moon glistened in the blackened night sky, little specks of floating glitter, stars, shined in the background, not wanting to steal the spotlight from the circular ball of light. Scarlet couldn’t help but trust her gut intuition that tonight felt… off. The air was unsettling, feeling as if it was being disrupted despite the calmness of the night. The slender girl peered outside of her rooms window, noticing little strikes of what appeared to be lightening far in the distance, her curiosity spiking.

No time was wasted as she scurried to grab her weapons of choice; an elegant sword that radiated with a flame-like purple hue, magic-neutralizing cuffs that were not bounded together, and a haversack filled with a variety of foods and water. By the looks of the distance from the uncanny bolts of light, it was far away. It would take around twenty minutes to get there if she kept a steady pace, and with years of practice building up, she had this in the bag. Besides, the way the light shined was intense and wouldn’t dim for a while.

Without announcing her leave to those in the home, she would quickly leave her family to sleep as she crept away into the fog of the night. Owls hooted, and wolves howled, the crickets adding a background sound as they chirped without end. Scarlet couldn’t help but smile to herself as she realized how far she had come with her training. Giving up was never an option as she tested her endurance and battle abilities to the max, sometimes not even sleeping until the break of dawn. It was all worth the sacrifice, because tonight felt different.

Tonight, would finally be the night she got him; Eligos, the highest ranking Demonic Soul out there. Scarlet’s tastes were exquisite, craving to be the one who captured the strongest foe to ever walk the Earth. Some may say she was foolish, but this dream of hers was all that mattered. Countless of times she attempted to apprehend him, failing endlessly to no avail. After enough was enough, it was time to put her all into her training, but after months of hard work, Eligos was nowhere to be spotted. She searched relentlessly but the trail dried up when she thought she had a clue of his whereabouts.

“I’m coming for you.” It was hard to hold the excitement seeping from her muffled voice, finally able to show him her true capabilities. The closer she approached the wary area, the sounds of confliction and rage intensified. It had to be him, but he wasn’t alone, and this scared her in the slightest; two wasn’t anticipated, only one. The once well-known wooded area turned distorted and corrupted, trees snapped in half while some where completely chopped at the base, nowhere to be seen. Grass that was a lively green now nothing but distorted soil, the remnant smells of burning wilderness clogging her flared nostrils. Louder the chaos grew, almost unbearable as her hands began to clench her aching ears.

Tucking herself away in sturdy enough bush she would investigate, but then, she saw him. Finally, after a few months of an unexpected hiatus. Her heart walloped with adrenaline, her stomach exploding with fluttering butterflies as the thrill of the fight disbursed inside of her core, making nothing else matter.

Eligos was the chosen one, once a prominent member of the heavenly chorus, cast away from His grace ages ago. Humans weren't deserving of His love, nor was any other of His creations. Why did God have to settle with something lesser? Something imperfect? Weaklings, the lot of them. Perhaps it was just bitter cruelty, a way to make his blackened heart beat with excitement or prove he was the better of the ones that crossed Eligos' way. It was that unquenchable fire of his that brought the demon to that area of the world, to that fight, to that ordeal. Insanity would seem his driving force to anyone that even looked that way.

For Eligos had picked a fight with a Red Elder Dragon.

A creature of majesty that lived so long that people forgot its name, the arcane beast could turn entire countries to cinder overnight. The only mercy the world had with creatures as such beyond the occasional hero that could stave them off, was that dragons that old rarely even moved anymore, finding no motivation other than their peaceful rest. It was hard to see it, even at it's size, as the scarlet monster soared the sky covered by the smoke of his own fire, a destruction that would scar those lands for generations, as nothing could grow in dragon fire ashes. Amidst that chaos, Eligos looked up, a terrifying smile on his face. Deep down he knew that maybe this was the time where he had bitten more than he could chew, but at the same time it was precisely that what made it exciting. Just minutes of their fight made it feel like it had been hours, as the clash of such mights required the best of them.

Crimson scales hit the ground, dripping blood and driving themselves in, making it feel like the sky itself was going to fall on their heads. "So I got you..." Eligos muttered with delight, unsure if his last attack had landed. Standing confident in that hell, the demon's magic covered his body in a way that his extravagant clothing didn't, his athletic pale form covered in dark blood and fabric alike. "Why don't you just die..." growled, seeing that his last attempt wasn't lethal, wasn't enough. There was something else he could try, or that beast would be circling him and unleashing a torrent of fire until he was just ashes, but it was something he hated. Something that hurt him deep.

Eligos screamed, almost a cry, his body tense. White feathered wings sprouted from his back in a sight of unlikely glory, basking him in white light, a sight so sudden that it seemed almost a mirage, as soon those feathers turned black, suffocating all that once had been good. Rising into the smoke clouds, Eligos disappeared suddenly, almost a lightning to the thunder that came afterwards, a roar of pain and suffering that made the skies tremble. Dragon blood rained on the hill that day, as the horribly maimed carcass of a once magnificent creature fell from the skies. Eligos landed, no, crashed nearby, his wings gone, getting up from the ground with trouble, recovering his breath.

One could see a smile in his face, the one of victory over impossible odds, but also a glint in his eye, of something lost. For a moment, Eligos looked startled, but soon his expression relaxed into one of familiar arrogance, a smug and detached grin painting his face. "Did the mouse came to see the cats fight?" he wondered out loud, his voice wavering a bit. "Let me look presentable, my mousy" he added, purple fire covering him, making the injuries, blood and ashes go away, Eligos looking his best once more. "Are you going to get out of that bush or do I have to invite you to dance?" he mocked, looking directly at Scarlet.

Soaring high in the smoky skies, a ruby dragon emerged from the gasses whilst displaying his powerful form. Despite his old age, his endurance was as lively as a youngster. Scarlet stayed nestled in the bushes, watching attentively as the battle grew more disordered. It was hard determining who had the upper hand as it was not one sided, both causing profound damages in their wake.

A bloodcurdling bellow immediately made Scarlet shield her ears from the high-pitched echo’s, her body rattling from the lingering vibrations. With amazement, her eyes widened, unbeknownst of his capabilities in this complex transformation. It looked heavenly despite his satanic ways, but his true colors reassured his soul as the once shimmering white wings withered to darkness.

They disappeared again in the murky atmosphere, clashes resonating the stale air until nothing but silence. The once animated dragon now nothing but a memory, its corpse falling lifeless to the ground before leaving a crater of its outstanding impact. It was foreign to her, to see Eligos so down and broken, tattered and covered in crimson liquid. “Maybe I’m not ready…” The doubts pierced her thoughts, but it was too late to turn back as he spotted her.

Bracing on a brave face, Scarlet stood with valor, hands clenching on her majestic sword. “Dance? My, that is a sugar-coated way of putting it.” Twirling the weapon of choice in her hands she would make the blade shimmer with his own reflection staring back at him. “I haven’t noticed you around lately, I’m guessing you enjoy picking fights with other creatures now?” It wasn’t the wisest action to do after witnessing the takedown of a beast, but her feet skated forward as she began to close the distance.

“I hate to crash your victory party, but the senselessness needs to end. Now.” And with that final word leaving her parted lips she would dart with great speed, her sword enhancing her abilities as she attempted to slice his flesh. She missed and cursed under her breath before darting towards his direction, sword pointed in his direction. He was weakened after such a dangerous fight, but she was well and spirited. Perhaps she could tire out the feral stallion before taming it.

"I'm a gentleman after all, starting with a dance seemed only proper. After all, I wouldn't want to offend your sensibilities, mousy" Eligos mocked, arrogant and proud. He was feeling how damaged and weak he was, probably at an all times low if you didn't take into account his fall from grace, but Scarlet won't be trouble for him. She couldn't be. "Oh my, are you jealous mousy? Do you want me to pick a fight with you?" he jested, approaching her slowly, step by step. He may look fine, but even his stride lacked the usual self assuredness. Scarlet's bravado surprised him, as she came head on. That would normally have been a foolish mistake, a fatal one if Eligos so chose to, but he wasn't just weak, the woman was faster than he had expected.

Narrowly dodging her strikes, Eligos moved as little as needed as she swung her flaming sword. It wasn't just a matter of pride, as he couldn't make any flourishes as he normally would while toying with someone like her. "I just killed a creature older than your whole tasteless family tree" Eligos said, not without trouble as he was feeling winded. "Do you think you have a chance against me? Me?!" he tried to intimidate and insult her, but she was restless. Her sword wasn't able to land a strike, but it came slightly closer and closer to do so. The idea of making an escape, of using what little strength remained in him to flee crossed Eligos' mind for a moment, but was promptly discarded. Running from a mortal? Him? Never.

"That's all you have?" Eligos shouted, having thought the idea of escaping infuriated him, making him able to tap into a bit of extra power. Swinging his arm wide, Eligos swatted Scarlet's blade away, making it land a few feet away, closer than he would like. Getting advantage of the surprise, Eligos grabbed her by that bright mane of hair, trying to pull her into submission. "This ends today" Eligos sentenced, trying to make her nod by yanking her hair. He rose his free hand, his well formed physique turning into a blackened claw. "Say your prayers-" he said, choking on his words.

The claw returned to be his usual hand, still dangerous but lacking that weapon like feel. He had definitely overestimated his magical prowess, his power reservoir, and now he could come to regret it. For a moment it wasn't pride, cruelty or joy what appeared in Eligos' eyes. It was fear. "I need no magic to end you!" he said, furious with the fact that he had to step so low. His hands went for Scarlet's neck, trying to strangle her out of air. He may me out of magic, but he was still a demonic being with strength that couldn't be easily dismissed, and it would be a matter of time that he managed to kill her unless the bold warrior did something.

Each thrash of her sword grew bolder, edging close enough that Eligos would be able to feel the wind of her blade. Scartlet amazed herself as she had never dared to be as close as she was to him; close enough to feel his heat radiating onto her sensitive skin. His crude comments went unnoticed as she was concentrating on her nimbleness, the patterns of her breathing, and the heavy strides she had to take to dodge his own attacks.

One incorrect move resulted in the loss of her sword, the blade ringing as it quivered from the harsh swat. Deeming she had enough time to recover her weapon, her heals dug into the soil before pivoting in the direction to retrieve her only chance of victory. Another foolish mistake.

“Gah!” Scarlet clenched her teeth together in distress as her snowy tresses entangled within the grasp of his uprising. Her hands relentlessly attempted to claw at his own, her nails digging into his flesh to leave crescent-like indentations as a memento. As her body flailed and contorted, an object in her pocket caused some minor discomfort… the locks! Her heart jolted as the idea sprung into her edgy mind. Lowering her hands, she would lay them by her sides nonchalantly, as if she were giving up and submitting to her fate.

A vise-like grip entangled around her esophagus, her neck muscles tensing as they attempted to retaliate the clasp. Eligos’s eyes were pierced with a hidden secret, something she never witnessed before in him, let alone make out what was going on through his troubled head. Scarlet wanted to raise her hands up to fight his own off from her delicate neck, the airflow decreasing dangerously, but instead she made a risky decision to fumble through her pockets while his hands were already preoccupied. The strength of his grip was intensifying, granting Scarlet only to retrieve one lock out of pure panic.

Biting her lower lip in frustration, her hands rapidly swung upwards to securely lock one of the cuffs onto his left hand, the lock snapping in place before the force of his left hand plunged due to the magic barrier. Fortuitously her airway was given enough slack to gulp in a mouthful of air, her lungs throbbing for the nitrogen-rich gas. Her petite heart sprinted for survival, those fight-or-flight instincts kicking in, and she chose to fight.

“What’s the matter? You look shocked, I wonder why…” Despite how hoarse her voice had grown from the strangulation she continued to jester with him, admiring the flames wilting in his eyes. Scarlet wasn’t the type to throw a hard punch, but it was worth the jeopardy to repossess her weapon. Cheekily her right hand coiled into a tight fist, those knuckles turning white from extensive force, before decking him straight into the bridge of his nose. It was enough to loosen his grip, her fist tumbling down onto the dip in his arm to sling it away from her neck. Phantom-grips lingered on her now freed throat, feeling as if his hands had never left.

Without haste she would dart like a bullet to her sword, eagerly clasping onto the base before wielding it with a newfound sense of success. “Either you surrender or continue to fight for your life, Eligos.”

"Huh-" Eligos looked at his left arm with disbelief, having trouble processing what just happened. His right hand still kept a firm grip on Scarlet's neck without even thinking of it, as his attention was focused on his now dangling left arm. He could still move it, but any little flinch seemed to require a monstrous effort. He felt weak and vulnerable, he felt humbled and bare.

He felt human.

Eligos turned to look at Scarlet as she was the one mocking him, even if each word costed her precious air, his grip wasn't the same with just one hand as his strength waned. When he should look infuriated, insulted, in turn looked almost lost, stumbling into newfound, confusing and scary feelings. "Trinkets and toys? That's how you pretend to catch me?" Eligos managed to blurt, but his voice didn't carry the same weight, the same pride and arrogance it did mere moments ago. "I'm gonna-" his menacing words were cut short by a punch he barely saw coming and had no strength to prevent. His pale eyes filled with tears, blocking Eligos' view while his face stung with pain. His nose was bleeding red and he could taste his own blood, feeling how his grip on Scarlet was broken with embarrassing ease.

Cleaning his eyes with his right hand, Eligos watched free of that veil of tears that Scarlet had reached her sword. He had managed to subdue her even injured by disarming her, but now she had the sword again, his forces were diminishing and he had just one arm ready to fight. "Even with one arm I can best you" Eligos boasted, his voice wavering. Surrender meant not only death, as she would execute him as it was her duty, but also humiliation, as he would have to admit defeat. No, not at the hands of that girl.

Eligos darted towards Scarlet, aiming to knock her out as soon as possible without feeling the bite of her steel, but it seemed that the effect of the cuff she placed on him wasn't to be underestimated on his weakened state. With his once perfect balance thrown off, Eligos moved slower than ever, distracted and scared of his defeat, barely aware of his surroundings as he stumbled upon a rock. Ashes flew around him as he fell on his knees, barely avoiding the sword that threatened to take his head off, inches away from his demise. With his left arm too weak to support his weight, he was depending on his right one that has leaned into the closest thing he had for support: Scarlet's hip.

"Damn you, mortal" he spewed, bitter. Eligos knew that he had no hope, as it seemed that God had finally decided to end him in mockery, sending that woman in that precise moment. "End me and deliver me from shame" he said, not really wanting to die, but preferring it to having to accept whatever she had in mind if he surrendered.

Scarlet stood, unmoving, as she couldn’t help but feel sorry for the broken demon. She didn’t want to fight him like this. Lowering her sword, she would watch as he stumbled towards her, helplessly tripping over something as petty as a pebble. If he was this uncoordinated it wouldn’t be a fair fight, Scarlet at least having a form of respect for her enemy. It wouldn’t feel right to break him when he was already broken.

Eligos’s weakened grip found its way to her hip, not causing any startle to the hunter. Scarlet sunk her head to peer into his defeated hues, showing him sympathy, regardless if he asked for it or not. Kneeling besides him, her fingers gingerly sprawled outwards to take his hand that was placed on her form. “You stubborn fool.” She simply responded to his request to slay, placing the last cuff onto his right hand to cease anymore fight.

“I can never understand you.” She grunted the words before standing up, gripping his wrists to pry him upwards to stand with her, catching him if needed due to his ineptness of using his feet. “Since your life is now in my hands, I believe you deserve the proper knowledge on what’s going to happen next.” Tugging at his arms she would begin marching down the shattered path, bringing them into the woods, forestation slowly coming back to life.

“You’ll be executed in my town, but this will not be for a while. I’m sure you knew this day would come, so don’t act as if this surprises you.” Her eyes glowered as she peered over her shoulder to look at him. “You’ve caused a lot of destruction, not only tonight but to those in town. You will have to pay for your crimes, you are aware of this.”

"No..." Eligos protested, weak as a kitten, as Scarlet put another cuff on his right hand. Knelt on the ashes the battle caused, Eligos leaned back sitting on his heels, arms dangling between his thighs. His body shivered, as the small horns or his forehead receded and disappeared, eyes looking less menacing and normal, it was like he had lost some of his shine, his otherworldly nature. Of course, his attire still looked exotic, and his partially bare body was still in shape, but he was no longer a demonic menace.

Scarlet forced him on his feet, Eligos' newfound state making him slow and clumsy, leaning shoulder to shoulder on her as he hissed, frustrated and ashamed. She talked of a lack of understanding on her part, and he had no commentary on that, no nasty remark about what separated them, letting the hunter drag him along as she talked. Leaving the destruction that had been both the dragon's and his downfall, green started to surround them as they advanced. He was slowly getting accustomed to his state, utterly vulnerable and defenseless for his standards, the cuffs making him basically human. Without his magic, some wounds from the fight reopened and reappeared, cuts and bruises all around his body, none of them deadly, but they made Eligos look even more pitiful.

"So that's my sentence?" Eligos managed to croak once she had said her piece, looking at her eyes. "I ask for a swift death and you turn it into a show? An spectacle for dim witted peasants?" he inquired, voice that once was a booming roar now turned silky thread. Being a demon wasn't just about having the power of being one, but also acting as one, above all else, but Eligos had no fire in his chest to do so. "You may call that justice if you want, I'm in no form to fight it" he sighed, lowering his head, avoiding her glare. "But that's revenge. Plain and simple" he muttered, following Scarlet.

“Look at who is talking.” Scarlet snapped back, clenching her teeth as anger spew out into words. “You play with mere humans that cannot fight back, and you call your death a show?” Puffing out an exhale in disbelief, she shook her head in irritation. “After the countless years of fighting, it has finally ended, don’t you understand? You set yourself up for this, and I was attempting to put an end to your shenanigans.” Her grip stiffened as she pulled him starkly, almost making him trip with how big of a step she was forcing him to take. After she voiced her hearty opinions, her fire began to dwindle, and she could take a better look at Eligos with purer irises.

He was wounded, critically, more than she had recalled from earlier. Not too far away from their location would be a doctor who lived on the outskirt of a nearby town, known for having a 24 hour clinic. Eligos needed to have his wounds checked, regardless if he was getting executed in the follow few days or not. Scarlet wanted him to be presented alive, not almost already deceased. Without saying another word, she would guide them deeper into the hearts of the woods, wildlife becoming livelier as the nocturnes owned the night.

The nearby town, Perrysburg, wasn’t so out of sight as distant sounds of town echoed within the forest trees, signaling that Doctor LaBoe’s cabin was close by. Smoke twirled upwards into the night sky, the scent of burning firewood infiltrating their nostrils before dim lights from the cabin’s side window led the rest of the way. “Be quiet and I’ll handle this.” Scarlet warned him before the duo stepped onto the porch, the wood moaning underneath their overwhelming weight. Tightly she balled up her fist, knocking firmly thrice before allowing some time for someone to answer.

Eerily, the door creaked open, an older gentleman peering through the crack of the door to inspect who was on his doorstep. Once noticing Scarlet and the mystery man, he spoke. “How can I help you?” Suspiciously he asked, not yet opening his door to invite them in.

“Please, Doctor LaBoe, you have to help him!” Scarlet pleaded, her eyes believable in the fear she made come out of them. “I found him in the forest, dazed and badly injured. I don’t know what happened to him, but I think he got caught in the forest fire that happened not too long ago.” Scarlet placed her hands on the door, eyes begging. “Please… he needs help.” Without another word, the door opened widely, granting access to them, Scarlet not wasting another moment before rushing them insid, securely closing the door behind them.

"If you pretend to be my better..." Eligos was feeling too tired and injured to answer, but he couldn't help but keep at it. "You shouldn't really compare your acts to mine, or you could sink with me" he mumbled, trying to follow the disgruntled warrior's pace, struggling to do so, stumbling every few steps. It had come to that in the end, a form so weakened that he couldn't even keep pace with a human. Eligos lamented that his injuries just undermined and slowed him, not being serious enough to outright kill him and save his pride from that treatment, from Scarlet's self righteous discourse.

With time, the sounds of the nightly creatures and uneven steps of the couple, gave way to the distant sounds of a settlement, smoke rising in the air. "Did I end your patience, mouse? Are you finally going to kill me? Or... don't tell me that this mud hole is your town?" Eligos tried to mock her with the last of his strength. "Beaten by a peasant..." he muttered, before she warned him to be silent. So she had other ideas in her mind, what kind of Demon Hunter was she? What was that girl up to?

Eligos couldn't talk even if he wanted, and it wasn't his injuries what hold his tongue, nor Scarlet's warning that she was the one to handle that. No, what kept the verbosity of the demon at bay was seeing her act like that, lie like that. The haughty and sanctimonious warrior was not only lying to a doctor, but also doing so to treat the wounds of her prey! Eligos was too surprised to ruin her plan, and could only help her getting dragged inside, having an easy time looking the part of a disoriented and injured man.

"Fire..." he muttered weakly, "I fell..." Eligos whined, looking too weak to even utter another word. Luckily for that charade, the cuffs he was wearing had no traditional chain between them, making those things look more of a complement on his already garish looks than a restraining instrument themselves. As far as he could know, Eligos felt depressingly mortal, so the doctor shouldn't see anything strange when he examined his cuts and bruises. Those cuffs were turning to be both a curse and a blessing, it seemed.

Maybe it was his corrupt, demonic nature, or perhaps it was seeing that paladin of all things good acting sneakingly what caused it, but even in those dire circumstances, Eligos found a bit of an amusement himself. Oh, how would he taunt her once they were alone, he could almost savor it. The situation also presented a hope he didn't have before. If that hunter was as unorthodox as she seemed, perhaps there was a chance for him to take advantage of some kind of situation days later, once his wounds were healed. Eligos could only wait and see, be ready when the situation presented itself.

Scarlet was slightly taken back as she didn't expect Eligos to play his part vocally, figuring he would have just kept his lips sealed. The doctors eyes searched the two with curiosity, leading them into the small office before presenting the patient table to him.

"Please sit down so I may have a look at your wounds." The doctor more or less instructed him instead of asked, waiting for the aching man to comply with his request. Taking his stethoscope that was hanging on a nearby hook, he gingerly tucked the ear plugs inside of his ears and held up the base, prying the cold instrument onto his chest and his back. A look of concentration glazed over his features before gripping his arm. He would inspect it as if he were peering into a hard-to-read painting. Scarlet chose to stay quiet and let the professional do his job.

"Do you remember anything that has happened at all?" LaBor asked before taking a bright light and peering it into his eyes, checking for basic signs within his pupils. "Some wounds are deeper than others. I can suture them quickly and give you some ointment, along with a prescription of pain medication. You're also very dehydrated, so I recommend fluids by drinking or I can administer an IV into you." He offered some options before setting his stethoscope back to where he retrieved it.

"No broken bones? No fractures? Concussions?" Scarlet spoke up, a concerned look painted on her features.

"Nothing broken or fractured, but if he cannot remember anything then I may suggest a minor head injury. His vitals are great despite his appearance." LaBoe replied to her inquires before crossing his arms and peering into Eligos's eyes. "Now, tell me, what treatment do you wish to receive?"

Eligos played his part, letting the doctor intrude into his space to do whatever he needed to. It wasn't as he didn't know what a doctor was, Eligos wasn't stupid, but as such practice had never been a concern of his, he wasn't aware of what it could entail. After all, he who had a perfect body and powers to regenerate dire wounds, was never in need of a doctor. "I... ah..." Eligos used his own weakness as alibi, being the perfect confused patient, "can't remember" he finally said. Eager to play his role and perhaps wanting to hide his nature over the convenient veil of amnesia, Eligos pushed his character further on. "She saved me, I'm grateful, I'm-" he set up his next move, wanting to look weak and disoriented so that man wouldn't ask more questions about him. "I'm... can't remember my name..." he said, looking down.

After a short pause, making it look like he was considering out what to do, he had it clear. Those wounds needed tending, but he wasn't ready nor wanting to let that doctor do more than it was just needed on his body. "Just suture, water and rest will be enough I think" he commented, wanting to test what Scarlet had in mind, what was she thinking when she brought here with a lie on her lips. "But how I'm going to pay you?" he wondered, his eyes shifting back and forth between the doctor and the hunter. "I don't seem to carry anything of value" he mumbled, making himself look ashamed, that one was easier after such a recent defeat.

"The fire... the smoke..." Eligos touched his throat. "Water, please" he begged, looking at the doctor go fetch him some. "I don't know what are you up to with this, mouse" Eligos whispered to Scarlet once the doctor was gone. "But I'll play along for now, even if you seem fixated on shaming me" he hissed, misunderstanding Scarlet's intent while he waited to have some water and see what the doctor thought of his words. "Go on, keep helping this amnesiac foreigner..." he mocked, shortly before the doctor came back.

Eligos was surprised with the first sip of water. It was nothing extraordinary, in fact it was somewhat warmer than he would liked it, not to mention how bland the drink was by nature. And yet, few things Eligos had over the ages were more welcome than that water. He had tasted marvels along the land, taking advantage to surround herself with pleasure as he went on, but none of those delicacies could compare to that simple lukewarm glass of water and how his newfound form needed it.

Once the doctor exited the room to fetch the poor man a drink, Scarlet's features grew hardened and uncaring, despite the beautiful sincere features she had just given him moments ago. "What do you mean shaming you?" She spoke through clenched teeth, almost embarrassed that he couldn't see the goodness she was doing for him. "Do you realize I am trying to help you right now? It would be pathetic to bring you when you're on deaths door." It was kind of contradictory; how she was taking him to be killed yet wanted him to be well before going there. It made no sense, truly it didn't, but why would she showcase an ill demon? Surely it wasn't the strongest one she sought out for.

"Here you go." Dr. LaBoe handed him the glass of water, small bubbles still rising to the top as a sign that it was just freshly poured. Scarlet watched Eligos as he sipped the liquid, watching his throat bob up-and-down in delight as it slid down his esophagus. After the glass was finished, LaBoe washed his hands thoroughly at a nearby sink before snapping on a pair of creme colored gloves. "It's going to hurt for a minute, so please grip onto this if needed." A stress-relief ball was handed his way, often used during sutures due to the pain.

Reaching into his cabinet, he pulled out a clear bottle of liquid, almost resembling water, but it was a very pungent smell accompanied with it, Alcohol reading on the label. "This will burn, but it is to clean your wounds before I suture them, okay?" LaBoe was use to telling his patients what he was doing, and why he was doing it, as it eased the tension in the aura. Lightly he dabbed a cotton ball into the liquid, soaking in enough before closing the lid. Gently he leaned over him, tapping patiently on his laceration with care, Scarlet watching for any signs of pain in Eligos' face.

"Now that your injuries are cleaned, I will begin to stitch you up, okay? This will hurt, but only for a moments time. Don't forget to use that ball to your advantage." He reminded him before threading a piece of suture thread into a thick needle, his precision putting a sewer to shame. The tip of the needle glistened, almost taunting Eligos as it hovered over a wound on his arm. Dr. Laboe lowered his head, eyes peering into Eligos's from over his glasses. "Ready? Take a deep breath, I need you to breathe for me so I know you won't pass out." He instructed, gingerly pushing the head into his flesh, starting the first process of closing his wounds.

So that was Scarlet's one and only intention? She talked about helping him and yet she followed up to having him presentable for execution. If she just wanted a healthy and nice trophy, why did she talked about helping him? How was prolonging his suffering and humiliation of any help? Maybe she was just cruel as the rest of humans were, or just clueless about how Eligos felt, probably not caring at all. But at the same time she seemed genuinely angry because he couldn't see what she was doing for her, it didn't seem just an act, so perhaps there was something there, some truth. Not that Eligos hoped for mercy or a means of escape, but now he was curious about that particular human. Perhaps they could talk once they were alone and things were calmer, at least it would make the trip to his execution less dull and confronting.

Eligos had to struggle to not laugh when the doctor said it would hurt. He who fought angels and demons alike, warred against mortals and downed dragons from the sky. None of those tasks ended with him unscathed, although the last one had been the worse by far, but any treatment that the doctor had in mind would pale against the bite of the sacred light or the scalding fire of a dragon. He opted to say nothing and just grab the ball he offered, noticing not only how little strength he had, but also Scarlet's eyes upon him. What was she looking for? Did she want him to suffer? Was that the real purpose of this visit? No, there was something else in those bright eyes of hers, but Eligos didn't quite manage to find what.

The cleaning treatment had been worse than expected, as to Eligos' surprise, it seemed that his weakened body was more sensitive to such things when devoid of magic. Once the doctor had finished, he was already feeling his hand almost sore of grasping that little ball, focusing on that instead of his pain. If such a thing hurt so much, how would the sutures be? For a moment, Eligos' face paled, looking nervously around, trying to focus on anything else but Scarlet's inquiring eyes. The doctor talked about breathing, yes, that would help, breathe, breathe, breathe...

When he started to puncture his skin to stitch it, Eligos felt a pain that he didn't feel since his fall from the Heavens above. His breath stuck on the chest, while his mind had only one thing in mind. Was that how humans were like? Was that fragility, that pain what they had to get accustomed to? As the doctor kept working on him, Eligos tightened his grip on the stress ball, cold sweat making it slip, fall and roll away. The embarrassment, the defeat, the humiliation, all of those felt far away, as now all he felt was pain. Eligos struggled to rise one arm, reaching forward for anything to grab, anything to distract himself from that lacerating pain.

It was loud and clear that the stitches were causing discomfort, the paint on the stress ball cracking from strain. Scarlet’s eyes were so fixated on the doctor and his sewing that the drop of the ball startled her before catching glimpse of what happened. Reaching down to grasp the ball for him, his lingering hand sprawled outwards, catching her sight before shifting back upwards.

“Here’s the ball.” She spoke softly before placing it within his grasp, sighing as that hand was now occupied again. There was something about this moment that caused her heart to ache; the paleness to his flesh, his limbs weakened and frail, eyes filled with bags from exhaustion. Frowning, all she could do was wait for the doctor to finish his sutures, Eligos having to bare some pain furthermore.

“Alright, last one!” LaBoe reassured the weakened man before finishing the last seam, typing the end off with a knot. “These will dissolve in time, so no need to get them taken out.” He scooted away from his patient to grab a roll of gauze, wrapping the elastic-like white fabric on the wounds he just tended to. “It’s so they don’t get infected furthermore.” He added, Scarlet stepping up to grab the empty glass.

“I’ll get you some more water.” She exited the room, not taking long to come back. “Here.” Taking the stress ball out of his hand she would replace it with the glass, making sure it was cold and refreshing. Dr. LaBoe handed Scarlet a roll of gauze and she took it with a steady hand. Placing it inside of her backpack she would scrummage through the chaos within to grab a sac of gold, handing it to the doctor as his eyes widened in surprise.

“Take it.” She ordered him, noticing the denial in his soft eyes before reluctantly grabbing the bottom of the brown baggy. He nodded in thanks before setting it onto his lap.

“Ensure you stay hydrated, and take it easy. I know of a cheap motel nearby to rest, tell them I sent you and they’ll more than likely let you stay for free, that’s the least I can do for you.” He handed Scarlet a small business card, ‘La Petite Maison’ engraved in black along with the address.

“Thank you for all of your help, Dr. I appreciate it greatly, and I know he does too.” She jolted her head in his direction before bringing her lips upwards to form a sincere smile. “You okay enough to walk a little more? We’ll get some much needed rest.”

His fingertips grazed Scarlet's skin before managing to grasp the ball she recovered, Eligos' knuckles turning white as he tightened his grip on that silly instrument of relief, of distraction. Gritting his teeth, he opened his eyes after the last stitch, feeling a bit woozy and unstable, his shaky hand still holding the ball in his grasp. Eligos just nodded to the doctor as he bandaged him, devoid of strength to even act the fool, although that probably only reinforced Scarlet's charade. Eligos let go of the ball as Scarlet took it, but once she gave him the glass of water, he had to use both hands to support it, taking the liquid to his lips slowly.

To that he had been reduced, a mess of a man weaker than a baby, having to accept help from his opportunistic captor just to stay alive long enough to his execution. If it wasn't even more of an embarrassment, Eligos would have cried, would have screamed. It was to no avail, nor had he the strength to do so, since all he could muster was the will to endure, to see what else awaited him. It was now harder and harder to believe that an opportunity would arise so he could be free, he could escape, and yet Eligos wasn't giving up.

He sipped on water as Scarlet paid for the doctor's services, and even if Eligos did not know nor care about those things, he could garner that the sum was higher than expected, given the man's reaction. It seemed that his hunter was well off, not wanting for anything. What kind of wealthy person that didn't have needs went into an impossible crusade? Was it a matter of honor? Of pride? Well, said quest had proven to be possible, as she had managed to capture him even with the odds stacked against her.

Scarlet gave the doctor the thanks that Eligos wouldn't manage to utter, both because he didn't consider even doing so and because he was exhausted. "If it's not too far..." he managed to mumble, slowly getting ready to walk towards the motel. Feeling sore but slightly rejuvenated by the water, Eligos' tongue got its life back as soon as they were far from the healer's earshot, walking to the motel. "I didn't peg you of someone capable of such a ruse, lying to that well meaning man like that" he said, still wincing from the pain, giving his sly smile a crooked shape. "And I'm sure that you think that paying him handsomely makes it right. And then I'm the demon..." he mocked, following Scarlet.

"I may have lied, but you are well now, am I not correct?" The girl replied, her eyes continuing to look ahead. "Besides, he received a hearty pay from me, I'm sure my lies weren't threatening." Thinking deeper on his words, she realized something. "Say, when did you start to care about humans anyways? Little did I know you could give two shits about them!" She spat the words out, her pace growing slightly faster as agitation corrupted her.

After arriving into the town, Scarlet's hues searched for the street 'Pine', where the motel was located at. Towards the right, the street sign shimmered in the pale moonlight. "We're almost there, just a little more to go." Crossing the street they would walk on the sidewalk, crickets playing their song as frogs chirped, the dim lighting of the motel growing more bright as they stepped closer. It was such a relief, finally knowing that she would be able to rest, and she could assume the same for Eligos.

Opening the door, she helped guide the demon in before closing the door behind them, the receptionist gazing upwards to welcome his customers in.

"Ah, hello there young travelers, how may I assist you?" He smiled, ready to serve their requests.

"Hi there. Doctor LaBoe actually recommended us here, said you might be willing to help." Coyly she slid the index card his way, the mans handwriting engraved to show proof. Picking up the card with his hands, his eyes skimmed over the words before nodding in acceptance.

"I see. It's nice to somewhat hear from him. Unfortunately, the only room I have available is a one-bedroom, is that okay? It's all I can offer for you since this was such a short notice." He apologized, a brow rising as he awaited for a response.

"That'll have to do." Scarlet replied, sighing before the man stepped out of his perimeters, guiding them down the hall to their room for the night. The number read 101, the gentleman handing Scarlet the key.

"Have a pleasant night. Breakfast is served in the morning, so be sure to get up early before everyone comes." And with the closing sentence, he strolled back to his quarters, leaving the two to be alone again. Scarlet would push the key into the door, turning it slightly to hear an approving click, opening the door gently before turning on the light switch. It was a decent little room, more than she thought.

"You can take the bed." Nonchalantly she spoke, removing her backpack from her shoulders and the jacket she used for warmth, leaving her in a black tanktop. "I just want to sleep, I'll take the couch." Her head jerked towards the love-seat, the cushions already calling her name. In the closet were an extra set of blankets and pillows, Scarlet taking them before setting them neatly on her bed for the night. "Better get some rest, you look like hell." She knelt down to the fridge, grabbing a crystal clear bottle of water, chucking it on the bed so Eligos can retrieve it. "Drink up, there's more if you need it."

"I just found it curious..." Eligos mumbled as they walked, having to back off from the discussion, needing every breath to move along with Scarlet's plan. At least that night he should be able to rest comfortably, as it remained to be seen what awaited for him the next day. The settlement itself was just another human town like any other, surely something special to the people that lived there, a home, but for Eligos was just another encroachment of the mortals in the land. Sure, he could now appreciate how fragile, how scared they could be, how they needed to shape everything after them to feel safe, but that didn't mean he liked it.

Using the pause in front of the receptionist to recover a bit, Eligos found the news amusing, as it seemed that there was just a bed for the two of them. Of course, it wasn't like he intended to do anything of that sorts with Scarlet, even if he was in shape for it, but he was sure that the notion would bother the hunter. With promises of an early breakfast, they moved to the room, with Eligos being appreciative of the place despite everything. "Hmm, a light magic trinket? Or another show of human ingenuity?" he wondered when the flicking of a little thing made light in the room. It wasn't something extraordinary, but he didn't want to approach conversation with Scarlet from an antagonizing position yet again.

"Thank you" Eligos said without a second thought with the bed, noticing at the moment what had he just uttered. Was he so tired that he thanked her? "But there is no reason for you to sleep there" he commented, appreciative of the female warrior's form in a way he wasn't aware before, no wonder she was so fast and strong. "I can't do anything even if I wanted to" he paused to take a sip of the water Scarlet gave him. How was it cold? Another magic trinket? "As much as it pains me, I'm injured, beaten and defeated" he acknowledged. "But I'm also cold and could use the company, this outfit wasn't made for mortals unless they were in the middle of summer" Eligos commented.

Without his magic, his power, Eligos was susceptible to the weather, and even if it wasn't specially cold, he couldn't be quite comfortable walking around in just some thin pants and a bunch of see through gauze over sleeves. The harness around his chest had been torn apart during the fight, and his bare chest looked colder and paler than usual. "Come on, it's not like you'd ever do anything with a demon, right? I'm sure you have a man waiting for you at home that looks nothing like me" Eligos kept talking. "I just want to feel warm again" he finished, hating that weak state he was trapped in.

The girl rolled her eyes, pivoting around to take a glimpse of his face. "That's what blankets are for, when you get underneath them it will retain your body heat, hence keeping you warm." She shook her head before letting out a light chuckle. "Why would you want to get close to me anyways? Doing anything or not, I'm still your hunter, how do you feel when you lay beside your future killer?" She gassed emphasis on the last word, raising a curious brow to see his reaction.

"Here." She chucked her jacket toward him, the piece of clothing reeking in her womanly scent. "If you're that cold, wear this, or I'll even give you my extra blanket." A part of her felt bad for him, witnessing his pale and shivering form, but it was strange how he was more than willingly to lay beside her... especially after all they've been through, cold or not.

"Feel free to wake me up if you need anything important." She mumbled before handing him some more blankets, alright with the lack of fabric while she slept. Laying down gently, the cushions slightly groaned from under her weight, laying on her back with hands gently folded over her torso.

"I was just being practical" Eligos blurted, "killer or not, I'm cold" he added, not entirely surprised by the venom on her words. "First you say you are trying to help me with the doctor, and now you just poke fun at a defeated foe" he said, trying to disguise embarrassment with mockery. "I thought I was the ignoble one, but you can be pretty mean as well" he said as Scarlet's jacket flew to his arms. Putting it on Eligos could catch her scent, buried in the clothing below the superficial smells like the smoke from the forest fire. He felt better covered, as his weak state made him feel colder than it really was.

To depend on the charity of his hunter, that was how low Eligos had fallen, crushed by the weight of his hubris and Scarlet's determination. The Father of All sure could be a vengeful one, but he wasn't without a wicked sense of humor, sending such a woman to defeat him. With her lying down in calm, Eligos could appreciate her physique and calm face, making him wonder why such a woman would risk herself on such a task like hunting him when she could be doing anything else. Was it a family thing or was she just a zealot guided by devotion? Humans sure talked a lot about free will, but some of them could certainly walk away from thought and reason sometimes.

"Not that I'm ungrateful or anything but..." Eligos wanted a last jab before letting his weakened and injured body rest. "I'll probably want a bath when I'm feeling better and now I know that you need one too" he said, covering himself in blankets, letting the exhaustion do the rest.

“How about you just shut up and go to bed?” Scarlet spat at him as she sat upwards, eyes glaring, hands clenched. It was hard trying to figure him out, not understanding his true motives behind his words. Was he cold enough to want to huddle by his killer? Perhaps he had a plan to slay her while she slept, or even attempt a trick up his sleeve. Or... was he sincere in his words? Nah, that couldn’t be the case; Eligos hates humans, anything that’s not him.

Once her agitated stare ceased, she would nestle back into her sleeping position, keeping a cautious ear available incase suspicion sparked. Albeit she was a light sleeper, jolting awake if anything seemed out of the ordinary. Eligos wouldn’t be a different situation, if not, it kept her on her guard even more so.

I finally got him, and he’s right here before me, mine for the taking! She would cheer to herself, lips parting into a snickering smile as this had been her ultimate goal. Being raised in a family known for their business in capturing demons, from a young age Scarlet has set her eyes on the biggest prize – the strongest demonic soul – Eligos. No one would underestimate her anymore after she would arrive with him, deeming herself a worthy position.

Opening her eyes before closing them one final time, she shot him a look, wondering how he would need help bathing in the morning. Did he never not clean himself before? But then, the thought of his bare body scared her away from the thoughts, cheeks rosy red in an embarrassed blush. No, she couldn’t help him, especially after THAT. He’s a grown demon, he can serve himself.

Scarlet seemed really angry at him, something that Eligos wrongly attributed to his snide remark about how her jacket smelled, but her backlash had been generic enough for him to not really know what particular jab or situation bothered her. Eligos just sighed and let himself sink in the warmth of the bed, fatigue winning the battle against his depressed and restless mind, sleep slowly creeping up his injured body. Scarlet's ardent expression of barely contained fire was the last thing that crossed his mind before drifting off to sleep...

He was on top of a mountain, blonde short hair framing his angelic features, white feathered wings on proud display. "Look at them, Gabriel" he said, sorrow in his voice, talking to a luminous figure above him. "Their greed, their anger. Their theft and murder" continued.

"Don't let the sins drown your ears, E______" Gabriel's voice chimed, although even in he couldn't hear his own true name, almost forgotten. "They have free will to do as they desire, good and evil alike" he explained once more.

"They are wasting His gift, He was too generous with them, so frail, so imperfect..." he continued, unable to stop in a dream he had hundreds of times, a memory distorted in time.

"You spend too much time with the lightbringer, you start to sound like him" Gabriel said, his musical voice turning deep.

"And what if he's right?" he asked. "What if Our Lord-" he winced, knowing where it was headed and unable to stop it.

"But he isn't. He wasn't. He will never be" Gabriel's voice sounded like the storm. "And you are, you were, you will always be a fool for joining him" he added, his light fading, leaving Eligos in the dark, his wings falling as rotting feathers while he cried.

While he fell...

"Gabriel!" Eligos shouted, about to beg for mercy, finally awake the next morning. Sweaty, disoriented and weak, he gasped for air, waiting in bed.

As the girl slept, sounds from Eligos swayed inside of her dreams, not aware that he was voicing out his own hellish nightmare.

The dream was blurry and fuzzy, images of Eligos painting in her mind, saying out of the ordinary words such as, "So imperfect", "Theift and murder", and "What if he's right?" It made no sense to her as the random talk poured into her unconscious mind.

"What are you talking about?" Scarlet asked in her dream-like state, eyebrow raised in questioning. No response, just silence. Shrugging, her body turned around, walking in the blurred distance.

"Gabriel!"

----------------------------------

Scarlet's eyes peeled wide open before the last letter of Gabriel rolled off his tongue, her body shooting upwards before her head turned violently to face Eligos, his face shining in the gleam of his sweat. Creeping into the blinds of their bedroom window, the morning sun attempted to seep into the cracks to fill the room with light. It was still early, but after that hellish scream, no sleep would be earned until night.

"Eligos, are you okay?!" Concern coating her voice as she quickly stood up to her feet, a careful hand fidgeting through her pants before pulling out a simple bladed knife, eyes searching the room for signs of an intruder.

"Who is Gabriel? I heard you talking earlier, is he still here?" She bit down on her teeth, going as far as pulling the skirting up from the bed frame to get a peek underneath, only to find nothing but carpet. Without thinking and acting purely out of instinct, her eyes adjusted to him once her heart rate settled, noticing that no further marks coated his body. With the amount of sweat skating over his form, perhaps he woken up from a nightmare.

Letting a soft puff of air trail out of her slightly parted lips she would sit beside him, the mattress shifting due to the added weight. With slight hesitation her hand gingerly rubbed his shoulder in reassurance. "Bad dream, aye?" She asked before kneeling down to pick up the half-filled bottle of water she had given him last night, handing it to him."Drink up, from all of the sweat on your body it looks like you may be dehydrated."

Eligos gasped, recovering his breath, slowly realizing where he was, what had happened. He was in a mortal room, defeated and shackled. The sight of Scarlet pacing around the room, knife in hand, looking for an invisible assailant would be laughable if it wasn't for his startled situation and weakened self. Despite all that, Eligos slowly realized that he wasn't nearly as bad as the night before, as wound seemed to be healing and he wasn't just rested, but also somewhat accustomed to what he would never quite accept, the mundane state of his self.

He sighed, the breath momentarily cut short as Scarlet rubbed his shoulder for a moment. The friendly touch would be welcomed in a void, as Eligos wasn't a stranger to such a caress and then more, but coming from his captor caused mixed feelings on him. Eligos harshly took the bottle from Scarlet's hand with an unfriendly huff, gulping down what was left of it. "Bad memory of sorts, not exactly a dream" he hissed. "It happened, but not exactly like that" he said without a second thought.

Eligos looked at her, shoulder to shoulder on the bed with him, like they were some kind of friends or comrades, not hunter and prey. "Not that I want to be treated bad but..." he wondered. "Why are you like this with me? What do you want? What do you expect?" Eligos outright asked. "Confession from a man sentenced to death? Remorse? Regret? Repentance?" his voice louder with every word. "Do you even care what lead me to do... no, of course you don't" he shook his head. Trying to get up quicker than he should, his legs wobbled, sending him back to his sitting position on the bed.

It was clear that he spoke out of frustration, without more understanding of what Scarlet was doing and why than the one she had about him. Not that his acts had been good or somewhat justifiable in her eyes, but they could be explained. Perhaps understood, although he doubted that. Eligos sighed, defeated, his cuffed hands hanging between his legs, hair covering his lowered face. "Gabriel was... a friend" he said with a pause. "I though he... it doesn't matter. He was the one that cast me down from heavens, back when my name wasn't Eligos" he added, leaning back on the bed, looking to the ceiling.

"A memory?" Her voice perked in question, intrigued with what was going on through his mind to cause such an uproar. Never has she heard him scream the way he did like that, so it must've been a terrible experience in his life. "What was it ab-" Her inquire was cut short with his piercing questions, almost interrogating her existence.

"Wha- Is it just because I'm trying to show you some sort of compassion?" Quickly she stood on her feet, trying to find the answers in his eyes. "I don't expect anything, I don't want anything because I already got what I wanted, and that's you." She admitted, which wasn't nothing knew due to the fact she's been on his tail ever since they both could remember. "I've never captured a demon before, so now that I finally have... I just feel sad for you." Sighing, her arms gently wrapped across her breasts, eyes adverting towards the ceiling as if clues on what to say next would be written there. "That doesn't mean you shouldn't be punished for your crimes, but you just look so pitiful now, especially in this human state." She sighed, her head steering its way to look into his hues once more.

"Maybe its my human ways of caring, and your demonic ways of hating, but take it how you want to."

Scarlet couldn't help but blink in confusion, his mumbling words not really creating a full sense of understanding, until some silence stirred him to speak of the incident. "Wait, you were from the Heavens?" It was an odd image to picture in her head, to see Eligos in all of his glory, his name different and perhaps his attitude. "What made them cast you out?" A newfound sense of sympathy found its way into her core, realizing the way he acts out may be due to that eventful night.

"Let me help you to the bathroom and you can tell me on our way there, you're covered in sweat and I'm sure a warm shower would suite your aching muscles." Gingerly she spoke as she reached out for him, but quickly retreated her hands in respect as he might not want that.

Back
Top Bottom