Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Flames and Lies (Kaname Takashi & BloodandChocolate)

Kaname Takashi

Super-Earth
Ten years had changed a lot. The LA skyline, the creation of a highly popular art gallery, and a number of successful business adventures. Their relationship was stronger than ever, their beautiful home was built along the beach, and their sex life…there weren’t any words to describe how fucking amazing that was. Unfortunately, there were also some things that didn’t change.

“All of these problems started popping up the minute we allowed him on the council.” Genesis simply sighed at the accusation. He was no stranger to this particular topic, none of the seven present vampires were actually, but no matter how their meetings began this was always were they ended up. “The changelings grow bolder with each passing moment, it was a bad idea to place one of their own on the council. If Genesis was not here, then they’d have no reason to cause such a ruckus!” Samuel McBride snarled, finger pointing at the vampire in question.

Since his admittance into the council as the changeling representative, Genesis had experienced his share of woes. Death threats, formal protests, and even a few hours long speeches as to why he, and all changelings really, were unfit to even have a seat. Alas, times were changing wether or not people like Samuel McBride wanted them to or not.

Genesis sighed and brought a hand to press against his forehead. "It's not even feasible to blame me for this problem, in fact, most changelings are overjoyed with my position. It took my kind millennia to have a say in what goes on in our world and trust me when I say there are no complaints on our end." The changeling's blue eyes glared back. What he should have said was that the instigators were more than likely purebloods who were upset with his promotion, but to actually say that would cause a fight and Genesis wasn't there to point fingers like a petty child. Apparently that was Samuel's job.

Jun Zhou, or Zhou Jun if you wanted to technically be correct, shook his head and clacked his teeth. He was the youngest vampire in the room, at about 300 years old mind you, and frankly he was getting tired of being sidetracked to this particular topic. “Enough already, we discussed this numerous times Samuel, you need to move passed this.”

“How can I move passed this when this is the main problem!” The older pureblood yelled. “May I remind you that Genesis has a history with making powerful vampires make bad decisions? How many of our kind has he lead to their ruin?”

Genesis rubbed at a temple as his eyes surveyed the others present. All were purebloods from the upper echelons of vampiric society, high nobility. McBride was right in some aspects, the ancient changeling was the odd man out. The only way he wasn’t a minority was by gender. Adelaide Mowley was the lone woman of the group, standard age for someone on the high council, but also cunning and rutherless. On a more important note she was a friend to Genesis, especially after she assisted in freeing his lover the decade before.

Clarence Blackwell and Alistair, no surname because he was just that old, were more friendly acquaintances. Blackwell was his lovers….well, grandfather and Alistair was just as old as Genesis and the two ancient vampires had a mutual and very quiet respect for one another. Dimitri Vedenin rounded out their 7 man team and he was just like McBride, all focused on the continuing power and purity of the true vampire race.

For the most part they were the most progressive council to ever sit, but that didn’t mean the last 10 years were easy. Genesis tried his best to be fair, looking over both the pureblood and changeling sides of a problem, and for the most part that meant he got to side with his people. The changeling wasn’t the only fair one though, Adelaide, Alistair, Blackwell also tended to be quite logical, but McBride and Vedenin agreed with purebloods no matter the circumstances. Zhou on the other hand was a wild card, Genesis wasn’t sure what would flitter through the younger’s mind, but Zhou had made some interesting choices on various topics over the years.

“Please Samuel, Genesis is not the topic of this discussion. The fighting in New York is. You know, the one where a fight between several purebloods and changelings were caught on camera?” Zhou stated, trying to steer the conversation to the matter at hand. “When our problems start spilling out into the human world, it benefits no one.”

“Agreed.” Genesis voiced, he remembered the times when fear and hysteria drove humans to seek their kind out in their daylight resting places long ago. Many died and he did not wish for a repeat. “When a fight breaks out an investigation should be done on all participants and punishment should be doled out accordingly. It shouldn’t matter if the aggressors are purebloods or changelings. That’s all I’m trying to say.”

Adelaide was passed the point of being annoyed with the direction the council meetings usually strayed to these days and had moved into constantly irritated. She was sick of everything as simple as a pen dropping to the floor being blamed on Genesis. For one thing, it was childish, and for another, it kept them distracted from real problems. Important problems.

She was sitting back in her chair, one long leg perfectly crossed over the other, a perpetual frown on her flawless face. Adelaide Mowley was an astoundingly beautiful vampire, but her icy personality usually distracted from that. Which worked in her favor, as warmth would have never allowed her to keep a seat as powerful as hers for as long as she has.

McBride was a shriveled up old prune and if Adelaide had a voice on the matter he would have been off the council centuries ago. History often repeated itself, and no one in their right mind would be dumb enough to forget what it taught them, but she was of the mindset that the council really should be split. Half from the days of old, and half from whatever current century they happened to be in. Not every vampire adapted to the times, or understood the ways of the world as the calendars flipped. It was counterproductive to continue doing things the way they always had just because it worked.

Their current council did the best she’d seen since her original seating, but it still wasn’t enough, and she strongly felt that if they didn’t get a grip on things soon, the very seams of their world would begin to unravel.

“May I remind you that Genesis has a history with making powerful vampires make bad decisions? How many of our kind has he lead to their ruin?”

A slight smirk touched Adelaide lips, a barely there change in her expression. She did oh so like Genesis, but his past exploits were not the subject of the evening - she much prefers those conversations on the beach over a bottle of bloodwine, whenever she happens to be so graciously invited - and she’s a little surprised when Zhou manages to redirect the conversation.

“I agree with Genesis,” Adelaide says when they finally start to get somewhere. Dimitri mutters something under his breath that sounds suspiciously like ‘as always’, but she ignores it. “This should be taken seriously. It would be nice if we could stop pointing fingers and actually behave like adults. Wouldn’t you all agree?”

“This fight though,” Dimitri spoke up, “Is the worst one we’ve seen lately. This was violent, and in public. The changelings haven’t stepped out of their place this badly in centuries. And if it’s because of him-” he pointed an angry finger in Genesis direction, “then I want him gone.”

Adelaide thought, irritatedly, that he was an idiot.

“That’s all good and well,” Clarence spoke up, for the first time that evening. “But you aren’t the only man on this council, Vedenin. It’d do well for you to remember there are six other chairs around you.” Dimitri’s mouth thinned, but he didn’t argue. “I think our best course of action would be to investigate. Thoroughly. We should handpick a team to send to New York and gather information only, as of yet.”

“Furthermore,” Alistair says. “I think it would be beneficial to us all to let Genesis handle choosing who speaks to the changelings. As I doubt they would take well to more pureblood antagonism.”

“Absolutely not!” McBride spat, angrily. “He’ll just choose people who will lie for him! It would be a completely biased and rigged operation.”

“One extra pureblood in the ranks then, for observational purposes alone,” Adelaide offers, then turns to Zhou. He was their wild card, but also unaligned. “Zhou can chose. Yes?” she glanced at Genesis for his thoughts before any of the others.

Genesis would have really loved to give Adelaide a slow golf clap, but he was pretty sure that McBride and Vedenin would have had a severe fit. Instead he kept his bored poker face firmly in place. If there was one thing the changeling was sure of was that Adelaide would back him, in that Dimitri was most definitely not wrong. And thanks to their rather close friendship, Genesis knew he always had at least one for sure vote to keep him in his seat, not that he believed either Alistair or Clarence would try and evict him.

The changeling listened intently as the two other councilmen spoke. Building upon one idea, that was what this gathering was truly for. McBride’s blathering protest ruffled his feathers slightly, but nothing outwardly noticeable. Genesis was sure as of every person sitting presently, he would be the least likely to put his own personal moles into this particular situation. It wouldn’t benefit him or his kind in anyway. Unlike the others Genesis had been voted in as his kinds representative. It was almost a global decisions, various changeling factions from around the world had voiced their opinions and decided that a crusader, a pioneer who had proved themselves in the past should give them an official voice. Ultimately that had been either Genesis or Indira, two of the trio that had lead the changeling’s out of absolute oppression centuries ago. On days like today, Genesis wished Alexander was still alive. The other man had been just as politically savvy and lacked the particularly vicious and promiscuous reputation that Genesis had.

As all eyes on the room landed on him, the changeling found himself sighing once more. “Fine.” He said in agreement to Adelaide’s suggestion. For peace and for the sake of getting something done he would concede this battle.

Blue eyes narrowed slightly as he saw simultaneous smirks flash across both McBride’s and Vedenin’s faces. There was no doubt in his mind that Zhou would be hounded once the meeting was adjourned for the day. Alas, he had faith in the man, Zhou’s allegiance was to himself.

With that settled for the time being Alistair dismissed their group, disappearing through one of the back doors of the room. Genesis watched quietly as those around him gathered their belongings. McBride and Vedenin were the first to go, their loud whispers not meant to go unheard.

“You know, apparently it wasn’t the Kostantine’s whom Genesis was after. I hear it was actually the Blackwell’s he wished to corrupt next.” Dimitri said, as he made his way towards the door to the main hall.

“Ah, that explains Clarence’s backing. First the mother, then the son, no doubt he’s moving up the ranks.” Samuel replied back snidely as the two left the room.

Genesis was very tempted to reply that he never touched pussy willingly in his life, but only if the subject matter hadn’t been about Vasilissa. Zane’s mother had been a dear friend before her passing and he loved Zane too much to ever bring up the boy’s mother in classless company.

Quietly he gathered his things up before sighing, allowing his deep blue eyes to travel over to Clarence. “You know nothing like that ever happened between Lissa and I.” He said, closing his briefcase with a click. “I loved her, but not like that.”

He lingered for a few moments, waiting until Zhou finally left the room, before picking up two neat white envelopes from his paperwork. He slid one over to Adelaide and the other to Clarence. “I hope both of you cane make it to Zane’s show this weekend.” He eyed his lover’s grandfather specifically. “I know it would mean a lot if you came.”

Adelaide was thankful to at least be done for the day, and only felt a little sorry for the state of Zhou’s sanity in the coming weeks. McBride and Vedenin could be ruthless, but she knew Zhou had a good head on his shoulders, even if she didn’t always agree with him.

She was usually one of the last to leave a meeting if only because she preferred walking out alone, but tonight it leaves her with the uncomfortable presence of McBride and Vedenin’s parting words. She couldn’t decide if they were brave or just suicidal. The slight against Genesis aside, Vasillisa was a sensitive topic to bring up in Clarence’s presence.

She peaks across the room to check on her friends. Zhou is shaking his head at the distaste, but Clarence doesn’t move, as if preferring to pretend he hadn’t heard it. At least until Genesis spoke, and then his gaze rose from his own gathering of his things before he smiled slightly. “I know, Gensis. I’ve never doubted that.”

Zhou took his leave and Adelaide had her own things gathered to go, thinking about just sliding out then and there, but Gensis seemed to be lingering for a reason, so she hesitated for a moment longer. She arches an eyebrow at the envelope that gets passed her way, but Genesis’ following explanation makes sense.

“I’ll go,” Adelaide decided easily. “I trust your boy to have good drinks and good taste. He must be very excited about this.” Zane’s gallery had been running for a hot minute, and doing very well, but he’d yet to have a personal show.

Clarence was hesitating. The last decade had shown a strain on the mans relationship with his grandson, and he seemed to be thinking things over, twisting the envelope between his fingers. “I suppose inviting me was an idea you had, and purposely chose not to run by him,” Clarence stated. “If I know my grandson. Which I do, no matter how much he loathes that.”

“Clarence,” Adelaide said poitedly. “Don’t be a bitter old man.”

He shot her a tight smile and tucked the invitation inside of his coat pocket. “I’m sure I can find the time to stop by, Genesis. Thank you for the consideration.”

Genesis smirked at Adelaide. “Of course, if there are two things that Zane knows best it’s art and parties.” So that wasn’t entirely true. There were definitely some things that the young pureblood knew how to do much better than throw parties and paint, but it wasn’t exactly kosher for Genesis to mention these things in public, let alone in the presence of Clarence Blackwell.

The changeling picked up his briefcase and walked next to the other male in the room. Lifting one slender hand, he placed it on Clarence’s shoulder. “I love Zane…more than anything and I want to make sure that he doesn’t lose more in his short life than he already has.” It was true, between an abusive father and a mother who killed herself in front of him Zane had a rough childhood to say the least. “Just try Clarence, even when he closes himself off, push through.” He clenched his hand, squeezing the younger vampire’s shoulder. “I know what it’s like to be alone, to lose what little family you have. It’s not pleasant and I certainly don’t wish for Zane to go through that…you either for that matter.”

With those words and a parting nod to Adelaide, Genesis left the room. His work day was over, but as he checked his watch he knew Zane would still be at the gallery. It was bound to be a stressful week for the younger man. Therefore it was up to Genesis to have certain things ready for when his lover came home. Typically, this scenario was reversed, but Genesis never minded taking care of his man.

Two hours later the changeling had their dining room decked out. Soft candlelight and the rays of the moon lit the area nicely, two warm plates of pasta and a rather large bottle of blood infused wine neatly sat at the table, and finally jazz played quietly in the background from the old record player in the room. The windows were wide open, allowing the sea air to drift in. It was a nice romantic setting and Genesis had hopes that it would provide some comfort for Zane. Well, that and their sex life had been barren over the past two weeks with both men being busy in their respective professions.

The changeling had slipped into something more comfortable than his suit from earlier. A dark blue sweater brought out the color in his eyes and kept his slightly chilled skin just a bit warmer and of course he had to wear the tightest jeans he owned to make his ass look amazing. His hair was on point too, it had that messy free look that looked effortless but actually took a bit of maneuvering to accomplish. It made a nice obvious contrast between his pale skin and his dark hair. Forgetting his earlier meeting the changeling held high hopes for the evening ahead.

As his eyes wondered over to the clock he heard the locks on the front door click. 2 am, which was about the time that Zane had been getting home over the last week. Making his way to the doorway between the entryway and the dining room, he leaned against the frame.

As Zane’s head passed into the threshold, Genesis smiled. “Welcome home, love.” He greeted happily. “I made dinner.”

Ten years had changed a lot, and Zane Kostantine wasn’t excluded from that. Sure, physically, he still looked the same. Purebloods had the advantage of choosing a forever age, and Zane wouldn’t let himself get too far away from Genesis’, but mentally, emotionally, it showed.

Ten years meant a decade between him and his father’s betrayal and ultimate death, meant a suspension from higher council work which he had never wanted in the first place, meant a lifetime with Genesis that was only just beginning, a beautiful home on the beach, and a gallery that he’d been resistant to filling, but that meant the world to him now.

Long weeks and late nights were a battle both of them had to face. Zane resented it sometimes, because together they had enough money to live for centuries without ever feeling the sting of unemployment, but they were both doing important things. Genesis’ seat on the High Council was a revolutionary movement, and while Zane’s gallery wasn’t nearly as great a thing as representing an entire ethnicity of vampires, it was important for him. And sometimes it was okay to do things just because he needed it.

He doesn’t think he needs to be getting home this late, though. It sucks and he just wants to sit down on the couch and bury his face in Genesis’ neck and forget the whole damn world exists for awhile.

Work attire these days means a faded pair of jeans and a loose fitting henley. Half his clothes were covered in paint, but tonight Zane looked half decent because he’d been handling more of the managing aspect of his job than the artistic side. Still, comfortable as he is, he can’t wait to get inside and take his shoes off.

He’s just gotten inside when he catches sight of Genesis, and despite being tired a smile breaks across his face. He can smell pasta and hear soft jazz music and his lover looks as amazing as always. Suddenly, he feels refreshed, like the long day was already behind him.

He dropped his bag by the door, which he shut behind him, and then crossed the room to loop his arms around Genesis’ waist, hands creeping up his sweater to press to the soft skin of his back. “Hi,” he greeted, with a gentle kiss. A glance over the mans shoulder showed candles and wine and the atmosphere was the most relaxing he’d been in in a hot minute. “This looks amazing. Thanks for taking the time.”

Honestly, they both seemed to enjoy taking care of each other, so it wasn’t even that he was all that surprised, it was just that...well, it was such a kind thing for Genesis to do after what was probably a long day for him too.

Zane cups the changelings face in his hands and gives him a real kiss, soft and slow and unrushed to go anywhere with it, at least yet, before he pulls away and takes the mans hand to lead him into the dining room.

“How was work?”

The changeling shivered at the feel of Zane’s warm fingers run along the skin on his back. There was nothing more that Genesis loved then being in his lover’s arms. Their kiss was sweet and soft, nothing rushed or urgent. “Your welcome.” He replied following along behind the younger.

Genesis popped the cork of the bottle as he heard Zane’s question. “You know how it goes, I’m a vile changeling who does nothing but sleep with and corrupt the other council members who agree with me.” His tone was casual, hand steady as he poured wine into each of their glasses. “Apparently the latest rumor has me fucking your grandfather.” Genesis slipped into his own seat and took a small slip from his drink. “Honestly, they should know better…he’s too old to be my type.” The grin that spread across the changeling’s lips was teasing as his eyes caught his lover’s.

The older male wouldn’t bring up the implications pertaining to Zane’s mother though. It wasn’t appropriate or needed and the changeling was hoping to have a nice night. He had something important to discuss with the younger anyway and Genesis had mixed feelings about the subject. Either Zane would remain calm or freak out, Genesis was hoping for the first but he had little hope.

Taking a deep breath and another gulp of wine, the changeling gave Zane a small smile. “How was your day? Things coming along for the party this weekend?” He knew that things would be fine, after all Zane had one of the best and most capable assistants in vampiric society. Gregory was the behind the scenes man, keeping the books straight and paying bills. He had a keen mind and was wickedly calculating when it came to business.

You?” Zane asked, in fake but well played shock. “Sleep with and corrupt council members? Someone should have warned me about that.” The tease was light, and he nodded his thanks when Genesis filled his glass. He was halfway to a drink when his grandfather got brought up, but he laughs at his lovers joke and shakes his head. “Uh huh,” he says, smiling. “You’re also not Japanese and don’t charge by the hour so, I’d say you’re probably not on the list of contenders.” Though, admittedly, Zane wasn’t sure how many people knew just how specific Clarence Blackwell’s type was. He was only privy to it thanks to the curse that his telepathy was on occasion.

Zane dug into his pasta, tired and hungry, and more than happy to relax back in his seat and enjoy the atmosphere Genesis had created. He looks up when he’s asked about his own day, and nods a little. “Yeah, we’re doing the major set up tomorrow, so I can get a feel of how things will look actually on the walls and stuff. Then the cleaning crew is coming in. I’m going to have to find something to wear… Gregory is insisting that I wear shoes.”

It was a well known fact that Zane hated shoes, and because it was his gallery he had no qualms sliding around the place in his socks. It was a quirk he’d picked up from Valissa, though rather he was aware of that or not was debatable. “I guess you could decide on something for me, if you have the time.” Genesis was definitely the more stylishly inclined of the two of them.

Zane took a drink of his wine and then said, “Also, if you’re off, I was going to ask if you wanted to stop by tomorrow, look over the spread with me? I think sometimes you put things together better than I do, and I’d love the second opinion before everything is...you know, public.”

Genesis watched his lover talk with a small smile on his face. The little tidbit about Clarence was new to the changeling, but honestly he never really wanted to delve into what kinks Clarence Blackwell had anyway. That was one can of worms he was comfortable not opening up.

When Zane made his requests, Genesis nodded. He loved picking out clothing for the pureblood to wear. The younger was utterly hopeless when it came to professional attire. Genesis could easily recall a time where the fanciest thing his lover owned was somewhat conservative club-wear. Suits and Zane just didn’t mesh together well, at least until Genesis bought and dressed his lover. Now the only thing the changeling found better than getting his man dressed up was finding various ways to take said clothing off. The shoes were another story though, Zane still abhorred them. For an entire evening though, the pureblood would have to put up with the nuisance.

Reaching out a hand, Genesis covered one of Zane’s own. “I will help you with whatever you need, love.” Getting him dressed or giving his lover a honest opinion, the changeling was quite capable of doing both without stepping on either Zane’s or Gregory’s toes. The gallery, after all, was their creation and while Genesis helped at the very beginning it was the two other vampires that had nurtured and cared for the establishment.

Taking his hand back, Genesis picked up a fork and sort of played with his food. He so enjoyed the taste of all kinds of dishes, but as a changeling it did nothing for him. He could eat all the food he wanted, but if he didn’t have blood he would slowly starve to death.

“So,” He began, trying to remain casual. “Bruce’s son Kyle, you remember him don’t you? He just had his first child, a little guy.” Bruce was a werewolf, alpha of the local pack, and Genesis had taken him in as a teenager when his parents had abandoned him after his infection. The man now had two sons, Kyle being his oldest. It was funny to think that ten years ago the boy had been 16. “I sent a gift from us and said we’d stop by soon for a visit.”

For a moment Genesis let the silence linger, his eyes focused on his plate. This was the tough part and slowly he took a deep breath and slowly brought his attention to Zane. “It really has me thinking…you know, you’re only a few years older than him.” The changeling bit his lip nervously. “And I was wondering…if at some point in the near future, would you be interested, possibly? …In starting our own family that is?” Tentatively he reached out, placing his hand over his lover’s once more.

He had been thinking about it for a while actually. Ever since Raymond Pierce, friend and sometimes third party to their bedroom activities, had his daughter about 4 years ago, Genesis had been mulling the idea over. He knew about Zane’s lack of kid experience though, how when a tiny being entered the room he’d freeze like a deer caught in headlights. They were partners though and it was important that they voiced what they wanted and where they wanted their relationship to go.

“We could adopt? Or, well, we know I shoot blanks so we could get a surrogate using your…stuff.” The older male twirled his pasta around on his fork as he spoke, eyes still watching for a reaction from his lover.

Sometimes, even a decade later, Zane still felt shocked that Genesis had chosen him. That this was his life. And that feeling comes crashing back to him as the changelings hand settles over his own, a silent offer of support that his words back up. "Thank you," he says again. And he's sure they both know he means than just for the fashion or decorative assistance.

He doesn't mind when they lapse into silence because these days the quiet doesn't worry him. He's still mostly focused on his food when Genesis brings Bruce up, but nods to show he's paying attention. He likes the werewolf a lot, and by extension his family. He doesn't have a lot of thoughts on babies though so, as usual, he's glad Genesis took the initiative. "That sounds fine, I'm always down to chat with them."

Silence again, but this one feels different, and he thinks he's gotten good enough at reading Genesis to understand that something's about to be dropped. It's the slow deep breath that gives him away, and Zane tells his body not to tense up and his telepathy to stay in check. He wonders if work was actually worse than his lover originally let on.

What finally comes out of Genesis' mouth he wasn't expecting at all and Zane slowly sits down his fork because he has a feeling he's done with his meal for the night. He tries very hard to keep his face clear, his body relaxed. The last thing he wants to do is get defensive because he knows from fights in the past that Genesis doesn't take well to it.

In human years, Zane was middle aged, more than old enough to consider a family. By vampiric standards, he was still very, very young, but purebloods had lines to preserve and it wasn't uncommon to see them become parents young. Zane had been pressured for children ever since he'd been legal. It'd only really stopped after his father had been convicted, because suddenly the Kostantine line dying out didn't seem so bad.

Genesis is nervous, which is unlike him, and this time when his hand lands on Zane's, he wishes it wouldn't have. Already this conversation reminds him of why he doesn't always like keeping his telepathy under lock and key. He hated being blindsided.

Or, well, we know I shoot blanks so we could get a surrogate using your…stuff.”

"No," Zane said, too quickly, too strongly, and he sighed as he gently slid his hand free so he could pinch at the bridge of his nose before nervously running it through his hair. "I'm sorry I didn't mean for that to come out so harsh. I just ... I don't think passing on my DNA is such a good idea and..."

Zane sits back in his seat and thinks through his words cautiously. He's suddenly a billion times more tired than when he'd walked through the door, and wished with every fiber in his being that he had a way out.

"I don't guess I realized this was something you thought about," Zane muttered. "Bruce aside, I guess I figured if you'd wanted a family, you would have had one by now."

”No. At the word, Genesis’ eyes immediately moved down to look at the table. His heart clenched a bit and his back stiffened. ”I'm sorry I didn't mean for that to come out so harsh. I just ... I don't think passing on my DNA is such a good idea and…” Okay, so it wasn’t necessarily about having kids…just biological ones? It still stung a bit though, adoptions were hard. Vampiric adoption were extremely rare to come by, considering the terrible need for pureblood families to reproduce. Even if there was an orphaned child, extended family tended to take them in for the sake of their lines continuation. With Genesis’ status as a changeling, their chances of that occuring were even less.

Even with a human child…vampire society wanted to keep the human and supernatural worlds separate. And with their lifespans and how fragile humans tended to be, Genesis was nervous to even consider the option. A little Zane would have given them legitimacy to keep the child. People could complain and threaten all they wanted about the changeling’s participation, but with Zane as the biological father they’d have no right to separate their family. That and a child from Zane would have felt more like thier baby. Those warm chocolate eyes and great cheekbones would have made a beautiful child.

Zane removing his hand stung, causing the changeling’s jaw to clench. “I guess I didn’t realized this was something you thought about. Bruce aside, I guess I figured if you'd wanted a family, you would have had one by now.”

Genesis took a moment to rub his hands together under the table, blue eyes still focused on the plate in front of him. “Because I wanted a family with someone…and I’ve never wanted to start of family with someone before you.” There was a slight bite to his words. It was like Zane thought it was so easy for Genesis to do. Abruptly the older man stood, gulping down the remainder of what was in his glass and tossing his silverware onto his rather untouched dinner plate. ”Believe it or not Zane, you’re my first in a lot of things, especially the stuff I never thought I could have.”

Blue eyes wondered over to his lover and the changeling flinched. Zane looked tired. With the purebloods' maturity over the years, Genesis had learned to not keep such a tight hold on his emotions. Their partnership allowed that switch, but sometimes the older male needed to remember just how young Zane was in comparison.

He sat back down, calmly this time and refilled his wine glass. Maybe in another decade they would revisit the matter, or another decade after that…or maybe Genesis would have to put that idea back in the never box at the back of his mind. It was hard, but he’d do it for Zane, after all wants came and went, but having someone to spend eternity with wasn’t always something a person could find.

“You know,” Genesis started, more quietly this time. “You’d make a wonderful father.” A slight smile curled his lips as he thought about it. “It’s hard to worm a way into your heart, but once there…you love so big and so hard Zane. You’d make a happy home for any kid, especially because of how unstable yours was and I know that’s what scares you the most.” With his eyes focused on his lover, Genesis reached out once more and gripped the younger’s hand tightly. “You are not your father,” He paused for a moment, not wanting to say it but it needed to be said, so Genesis simply gave Zane a reassuring squeeze. “Or your mother.” He finished in a more quiet voice.

Zane had known this was going to end in ruffled feathers, important conversations with them usually did. More often than not, they were on the same wavelength, gave and took accordingly, but every once and awhile something came up that completely threw a fork in their tide.

He didn’t want to talk about this right now, and he wanted to say that. Genesis had created such a nice evening for them, and he wanted to go back to that. To soft jazz and good food and enough wine to get tingly and touchy and fall into bed and have slow, sensual sex for hours.

That was gone now, though. Serious Waters were ahead and trying to abandon ship would only stress them further.

Sometimes, Genesis’ age fucked with Zane’s sense of time. There were so many years in his history, and it wasn’t like the changeling had spent them sitting on his hands, never leaving his home. He’d seen things, done things, and sometimes Zane forgot that he was the one Genesis had chosen to settle down with. That this stuff wasn’t all new just for him, but Genesis too. That there hadn’t been someone like him before.

”Because I wanted a family with someone…and I’ve never wanted to start of family with someone before you.” Is both amazingly sweet and terrifying. It’s a lot of pressure, a lot of expectation, and yet part of him swells with pride that he’s so important. That after centuries…

But Genesis stands and Zane’s not sure where he fucked up but he knows he did because the man is downing his wine and tossing his silverware and … ”especially the stuff I never thought I could have.. Zane winces. That hurts.

He’s waiting for the night to fall apart, but Genesis sits back down and he’s not sure if he feels relief or more fear that this whole conversation is going to completely derail them.

“You’d make a wonderful father.”

Zane tries his hardest not to flinch. His chest feels tight and for the first time since moving out of his childhood home he wants to run. His nerves are pushing at him, telling him exactly where his passport is. A two week vacation, that’s all he needs and he’ll be fine.

He switches off his breathing, it’s an easy thing to do for a pureblood. Most of them chose to just because it’s comfortable, but he doesn't really need to, and if he keeps it on he’ll probably start to hyperventilate.

It’s an overreaction, based on Genesis’ tone, the small smile on his face. He’s somewhere good, seeing something good. But Zane’s drowning. He doesn’t want to be touched but he doesn’t dare snatch his hand away when Genesis reaches for it again. It should be stabilizing, reassuring. His heart knows that, but his brain is failing to understand.

”Or your mother.”

Pain flashes across his face, he can’t hide that emotion. And he can’t look at Genesis anymore. So he puts his free arm on the table, elbow against the wood and forehead in his hand, trying to get a grip.

He wants to say no, wants to put his walls up and retreat, wants to list all the reasons why he doesn’t want to do this. But he can’t bring himself to lay that Genesis. To stab holes so carelessly through something he really wants. Something that Zane’s presence in his life had deemed possible.

“How can you be so sure?” he asks softly, and he tries to keep his voice steady but he doesn’t know if it’s working. “I have his temper, and I have her whimsy. And I have his hands, and I have her eyes. They’re in me, Genesis. Hardwired through my blood. And I can fight and scream and kick and refuse to admit that all I want, but it doesn’t make it any less true.”

He feels tears but he refuses to cry because he honestly doesn’t feel like cleaning it up afterwards.

“They weren’t always crazy.” Alarick, maybe, at least always to Zane. But there were people who had adored him, who had spoken of his charisma, who had defended him until his first and last sunrise. And Valissa…

No. He couldn’t even think about her.

Genesis could see that Zane was freaking. What the changeling had thought would be reassuring, instead caused the younger man to start to spiral. He refused to let go of his lover’s hand though, holding tightly to let Zane know he was still there, still with him.

“How can you be so sure? I have his temper, and I have her whimsy. And I have his hands, and I have her eyes. They’re in me, Genesis. Hardwired through my blood. And I can fight and scream and kick and refuse to admit that all I want, but it doesn’t make it any less true.”

Genesis let him finish, once more biting his bottom lip nervously. Sure there were similarities, parents always made some kind of lasting impression on their children, but they didn’t always make who their children became.

The changeling gently turned Zane’s hand so it lay on the table palm up.”This hand, right here…I know no matter how angry you become, you’d never strike me with it.” He stood, moving closer to his lover, cupping Zane’s cheeks and turning the youngers face to look at him. “I know that no matter how much we fight, no matter how bad it gets…I know you would never leave me like Lissa did you.”

He leaned forward to press their lips together, a reassuring touch. “You always focus on the bad they supposedly gave you, but you never bother to see how much good they caused.” Genesis pushed his chair back a little and nudged Zane’s legs apart so he could slip between them, to be closer. “I hate Alarick, you know that, but he was smart and you inherited that from him. Lissa had such a thirst for life and there are times when the simplest things give you that same spark in your eyes.”

Taking a moment to let that sink in, Genesis grabbed his lover’s hands and placed them on his hips so the pureblood could hold him. “But Alarick liked to inflict pain, he liked to control what he believed to be his, he talked with his fists.” Again he brought his cool palms up to Zane’s warm cheeks. “And instead of fighting Lissa gave up, long before she killed herself.” It was hard to say, but it was so true. Genesis’ nose scrunched up as he had to say the painful words.

“And those things shaped you too. You’re strong, and your rough,” The changeling gave a small smile at those words. “and you don’t give up. Because their faults shaped you, it made you take a different path than their own. They’ll always be in you, but it’s the choices we make for ourselves that make us who we are. It doesn’t matter what you pass on, because a child will their own choices regardless.” Gently his thumb rubbed up against the apple of Zane’s cheek.

Zane peaked up when Genesis moved his hand, his muscles tensing in an attempt to jerk it back, but he made it stay. Made himself stay, present in the moment to see what Genesis had to say. The words hit him hard, both because of Genesis’ confidence that he’s right, and the feeling deep inside himself that agrees. He’d never do to his lover what had been done to him.

His brown eyes, when he looks up at Genesis, are wet and worried, the same kind of imagine one would find in a skittish stray kitten, afraid and ready to bolt, but curious about the scraps of food it’s being offered nonetheless.

His face fits in Genesis’ hands so easily, and finally he finds the comfort the changeling was trying so hard to provide. The stability that, regardless of what happens, they’re still them. Supportive and loving of each other. He feels his world slow down a little in a soft press of lips against his. When Genesis moves closer, Zane lets him, legs parting easily. His eyes dropping when his mother is brought up again. Less out of avoidance this time , more from the heaviness in his heart.

He lets the changeling guide his hands to his hips, his fingers curling into a tight but not uncomfortable hold, before Genesis hands are on his face again. This is a rough conversation, the kind that tears his heart open. And he knows he needs to hear it, but that doesn’t make it any less painful.

It makes him feel better about himself, but not about the prospect of what Genesis is suggesting. His eyes fall closed and he takes a deep breath. He can smell smoke even though there isn’t any, a memory long gone but imprinted on his mind when he’s stressed like this.

“You learn how to parent from your own, Gen. What are we going to do when our kid messes something up, and my first reaction is anger? When I remember my father taught me by…” he doesn’t have to finish, because they both know the answer is in bruises. He swallows thickly. “Or when I put our kid in some dangerous situation because I wasn’t thinking and it seemed like a fun idea at the time.”

He feels a tear fall free from the corner of his eye and lifts one hand to brush at it before Genesis has to. He opens his eyes again and looks up at his lover. “I’m not trying to have an argument for everything you say. I’m really not. But this is a child, Gen. A person. With thoughts and feelings and a personality that we will shape. And it’s forever, because most vampires don’t die young. We’re not going to die. And I need you to understand that I’m terrified. And I don’t know if you’re really prepared to deal with the fact that I might not ever trust myself to be alone with something small and fragile that I can’t reason with when I get upset. That you might not ever get to be the fun parent.”

“I love you.” Genesis hated seeing Zane cry. The pureblood had shed so many tears over his young life that the changeling never wanted him to have to do it again. He understood the younger males fears, but fear and doubt couldn’t rule them. Those things made people miss out on the important things in life. “But you forget, I can’t recall my parents. Times were different than they are today and they lived so long ago I can’t even remember what they looked like. I don’t remember how my mother sounded or if my father ever raised a hand to me in discipline.” He laughed a bit, trying to recall anything from that time period. “And Bruce, he kind came pre-programmed, you know how teenagers are…What does that say about me? Will I be a terrible parent?”

He leaned back slightly, so he butt rested against the hard wood of the dining room table. “That’s the thing, everyone thinks they’ll have parenting down pat, that they’ll know what to do once their little guy or girl comes along, but realistically no one has any fucking clue how they’ll react.” His hands travelled down to rest on Zane’s shoulders, gently kneading the tense muscles there. “Kids are a learning curve. No one knows what they’re doing.”

Genesis remained quiet for a minute, trying to see where this conversation should go. “What if I’m the one who yells? Or worse…what if I put our kid in danger…” He swallowed thickly. “The hunger is always there Zane, what if I slip? A child won’t be like you were, healthy and strong…” The changeling could feel his eyes becoming wet, but swallowed again to recompose himself. “Or the politics, what if someone wants to get rid of me so badly that they come after our kid? Lets be real, I pose a much greater danger to any child’s safety than you do.” It was true, Zane with his pureblood heritage and powerful family name, had many fewer enemies than Genesis.

“I’m scared too.” It wasn’t easy to admit, the changeling had always had to be strong throughout his life. He’d always had to keep his true feelings pushed to the back so he could survive. “But I want forever with you and I want you to experience everything. Living is the scariest thing in the world, but that shouldn’t stop us from experiencing new things.” Once more he took a deep breath. “Mistakes will be made, that’s inevitable, but we’ll learn. I trust you, but you have to remember that having a family with me doesn’t mean it’ll be you versus me or us versus the kid or any combination. No one’s alone and we’ll develop our own rhythm and system that suits our family. We'll be there to keep each other in check.”

A small laugh escaped the changeling as he imagined the possibilities. “Maybe you’ll be the discipliner, maybe you’ll be the one he or she goes to to confide their secrets, maybe you’ll wanna change every diaper and kiss every cut. We don’t know, because no one knows what the future holds. You have so little faith in yourself. I remember you at one point thought you’d be nothing more than a drug pushing, party going, womanizer. You thought you’d never escape from underneath your father’s thumb. You thought you’d never be able to paint for a living, but look at you now. You’re monogamous, with a another man, Alarick is dead, and you’ve developed and run one of the most influential art galleries in the city. That was all you, now matter what you think about me, all of those things are your accomplishments; fears you overcame. You won’t know anything unless you take a chance.”

Genesis looked down and sighed. This was something that Zane would have to face and overcome himself. There was nothing the changeling would be able to do to help if Zane let those fears control him. “Just…think about it…please?” There was an edge of sadness to the question. Leaning down Genesis kissed the top of his lover’s head softly and nuzzled his nose against the soft hair.

With that he would let the topic drop, slowly moving out of Zane’s grip and picking up his glass of wine. He sipped from it as he made his way to one of the windows, leaning against the frame with slightly rounded shoulders. The breeze rolling in was cool and the salty scent of the ocean was somewhat comforting.

Zane saw Genesis’ point, but he wasn’t sure if it was the same. Maybe Genesis couldn’t remember how he was brought up, but that was like a blank slate, whereas Zane’s trauma - while boxed up and put away - was still fresh. Was still something he could revert to. It wasn’t worth arguing though. His thoughts on the matter were already laid out.

Genesis’ own worries make him feel less alone, but honestly make the idea seem even worse. The last ten years of their lives had been fairly smooth, but he remembers all too well what it felt like to sit on trail, to have his life ripped out from under him and everything questioned. The turmoil, the pain, the strain on their relationship and their lives. Genesis was still very much in the political world, and he could all too easily see their lives going back there, only this time with a child between them. Could either of them handle that? The explanations? The pain?

He wants Genesis forever too. He’d been so very young when he’d made that decision, but he’d never - not once - not meant it. Choosing Genesis had drastically changed his life, it wasn’t something he’d done lightly, or ever regretted. Which was the only reason he was entertaining this conversation now.

Because Zane had never wanted children. He was never the kid that leaned back and thought about what he’d be like as a father, never the one who entertained the idea of providing a family. It was one of the biggest things he and Clarence had fought about in his teenage years. Zane was the last Kostantine, an only child, male. It was his job to provide a continuation of his family name.

He’d thought, fleetingly and perhaps naively, that a nice side effect of choosing a male partner would have freed him from ever having to be in this position. Because he wasn’t sure he had it in him, if he was honest. None of it sounds appealing to him. Not listening to secrets or kissing cuts or watching some little person that looks like him grow up. It sounds like hard work, and it feels like shame. And he wishes, more than anything, that his mother was alive for him to talk to.

The fears were his best argument, and they were as valid as anything else. But at least if he lead with those, Zane could cover up the fact that he was pretty sure he only had it in him to love one person at a time. It was an ugly, awful thing that he never wanted Genesis to see.

“Sure,” he says softly, and it’s a loaded word regardless of how easy it sounds. Because he knows this is a pivotal moment, not only in their lives but in their relationship. Things will never be the same after this conversation. It existed, and in the end, one of them would have to lose for the other. Genesis would either have to give this up, or Zane would have to give up a part of himself. It felt horribly unfair.

He doesn’t know how to move on from there but he does decide he needs a stronger drink, so he moves towards the cabinet to get a new bottle, fills a drink, and lets the weight of the world settle around him.

It felt strange, on a normal day Genesis could rely on Zane to wrap his arms around him and say everything was going to be okay, but the changeling understood why he wasn’t. In way both vampires were licking their wounds. Someone would have to give in on the matter and with the way his lover agreed to think if over, Genesis was pretty sure it would have to be him.

Blue eyes watched the waves crash against the shore in the distance, but his mind was elsewhere. He finished off the last of his wine and closed his eyes. He should have known better, that building up his hopes wasn’t the smartest idea. There was time though, to build up some resistance to the blow he figured was coming eventually.

Genesis turned to look at the younger man. It was pretty obvious that neither one of them was planing on finishing their meal. Making his way back to the table the changeling began to tidy up, clearing the table of their plates and glasses. He brought the remains to the kitchen and discarded what food remained. Instead of loading the dishes into the dishwasher, he chose to wash them by hand. It helped clear his mind.

That didn’t last too long though, their was only two of them after all. Gripping the sink for a moment and bowing his head, Genesis put his mask on once more. Calmly, he wondered back into the dining room, Zane hadn’t moved much since his departure. “I’m gonna go to bed.” He said, small smile on his lips. He reached a hand up to bring the pureblood’s head down to his level and kissed his lover briefly on the lips. “I love you, don’t stay up too late…”

He headed up the stairs and into their bedroom. His body was basically on autopilot, stripping and slipping underneath the covers on their bed. It was only in his room he let himself drop the facade. A few red tears trailed down from his eyes. Just for a few minutes, alone in their quiet bedroom. That’s what he needed. Then wiping his eyes dry he curled up on his side and tried to fall asleep. Another day of bickering awaited him at work, then Genesis would leave early to assist Zane in whatever his lover needed. Their routine would go back to normal and he’d be ready in the next week or two for Zane to tell him no.

Zane hated being like this. Hated falling short on the things Genesis wanted, or needed. It was teenage anxiety coming back to haunt him, reminding him that Genesis was the gardener of their relationship - always taking care of things, nourishing them, lifting them up. Maybe he was right and Zane’s accomplishments were his own, but they never would have happened without someone telling him he could grow.

Zane was a rose. Beautiful, belonging, protective, cared for - but sharp. After all the gardener did for him, he’d still cause a cut or two. He wished things were easy, wished he wasn’t the way he was. Still scared and small, even after all these years. Why could he ever just give.

He takes care of the candles and the music after Genesis goes to bed, replaces everything. It’s theirs, this house, and he tries to imagine for a moment a toddler running through it. He thinks it would probably bring Genesis joy, but it just makes his stomach hurt so he stops.

He goes upstairs but not to their bedroom, towards his home studio instead. It’s mostly unused these days, smaller than the space he has at the gallery, but in a safe on the far wall are pictures his mother painted.

He doesn’t open it, but he stares at it for a long time. He can hear her laugh and the nursery rhymes she never got right and he’s so fucking mad at her for leaving him. Genesis is his best friend, his partner, his rock. But there are things he can’t say without hurting him. Things he should have had a mother for.

He leaves then and goes to bed. It’s ridiculously late, and Genesis is either asleep or pretending, but regardless when he slips between their sheets he wraps an arm around the smaller man and presses his face to his hair. “I love you,” he says, softly, because he’s not sure he’s actually said it yet and he needs to.

Even if Genesis doesn’t hear it.

***​

He wakes up to a phone call and tries to answer it before the ringing rouses Genesis. Usually Zane slept in, but with the show coming up they were both getting up early these days.

“Gregory,” he greets, irritated.

“Don’t forget to pick up an outfit,” Gregory says, nonplussed. “I know you, Zane, do not wait until last minute.”

Zane runs a frustrated hand over his face. “Genesis agreed to help.”

“Oh good,” Gregory sounds much more pleased by this prospect. “Genesis is amazing.”

“I know he’s amazing, that’s why I’m with him,” Zane grumbles. Gregory tuts at him and then launches into business speak. Zane’s only half paying attention, but lets him, the fingers of his free hand gently sliding down Genesis arm. An absentminded habit, a desire to touch after the stress of the night before. At least for the ten minutes before their days start.

He wasn’t wrong about his work prediction the next day. McBride and Vedenin had started early as instigators that day, both being very unhappy about Zhou’s choice of representative. Uchida Mai was a woman born and raised on the west coast and her views were very straight forward. Whoever did wrong was the party at fault and thus needed to be punished. In other words, no special treatment for the purebloods in New York. With a four to two vote on the matter, the motion passed.

It was evident to everyone in the room that the lone changeling was on edge though. Usually meeting his aggressors taunts and snide remarks with calm retorts or silence, Genesis had actually snapped at both men a number of times throughout the meeting and Adelaide once for trying to ask if everything was all right. Genesis had apologized to her of course, but he still regretted it.

Alistair wisely dismissed them earlier than usual, sensing the rising tensions in the meeting room. Genesis was rather brisk in packing up his things and with another apology to Adelaide he was out the door. He didn’t get far though when an arm darted out and pulled him roughly into an empty meeting room right off the main hall.

Genesis hadn’t expected it and turned around to yell at the transgressor, fangs bared when he realized how it was. Raymond Pierce, as handsome as ever, stood in front of the now closed door with his arms crossed over his defined chest.

“What the fucking hell Ray?” The changeling asked angrily, setting his briefcase down on the nearby desk.

“Got an interesting text…Adelaide said your behavior was rather curious and Zane said everything was all sunshine and rainbows. Knew that was one giant pile of steaming bull shit, especially after you nearly bit my head off just now.” The changeling leveled the other man with a look, face blank. “Come on, spill it.”

“It’s none of your business, just a small disagreement between Zane and I. We were fine this morning.” And they had been, Zane’s fingers running up and down his arm had been nice, then when the younger’s phone call ended they had cuddled, they had breakfast together. Nothing out of the ordinary.

It was Ray’s turn to return the look. If Zane knew Genesis the best the older pureblood was a close second. So instead of fighting it, the changeling sighed and leaned back against the desk behind him. The older man told him everything and by the time he was done he felt lighter.

“So basically…he doesn’t want to be a dad?” Ray asked quietly.

“I don’t know…it could be that or it could just be having a biological kid? I have a feeling it’s the first. I mean, we could adopt but it’s hard, it could take years and that’s if we get someone whose not prejudice.” Genesis sighed, tilting his head back and looking at the ceiling. “It’s fine though, if he’s not ready he’s not ready. Maybe I can try again later down the line.”

“You know something Gen?” The snark in Ray’s voice caught the changeling off guard and blue eyes turned to the man in question. “You always give in to him, whatever Zane wants he gets with you. For once he should be the one to give in.”

“Ray….” Genesis’ voice was exasperated, he was always defensive when his lover was being criticized. “It’s not a puppy, you of all people know that. You’re the father here. That’s a long commitment and I’m not gonna make him do anything he doesn’t want to do.”

The pureblood approached him, boxing him in against the desk with one arm on each side. “But you’ve waited. What if he's never ready, what if it's a hundred years from now and he still says no?”

Gently Genesis rested his forehead against the taller man’s chest. “Then I guess I’ll wait some more….or you know, I’ll get a puppy instead. Less commitment.” He laughed before looking up and meeting Ray’s hazel eyes. “Zane’s the only thing I don’t wanna have to give up.”

Silence lingered between the two. "Feel better?” Ray asked, hand pushed the changeling’s bangs out of his eyes. Genesis nodded, relaxing. They talked for a few more moments, Ray assuring the changeling that he’d soon stop by with his daughter. Unexpectedly and when Zane was home alone. “For revenge.” He stated, making Genesis laugh.

As he finally left the building, the ancient vampire sent another text to Adelaide to apologize. He really did feel better after baring everything to Ray, which was great because he was supposed to meet Zane at the tailors to get him fitted for a suit.

Genesis didn’t drive, he had a handy werewolf to do that for him, and as they pulled up to JB Clothiers he was actually looking forward to be shopping. At this time of night the store was closed, at least to everyone who was not Genesis. Zane was standing outside of the shop, not doubt waiting for the older vampire to arrive.

Stepping out of his car, the changeling made his way over to his lover. There was a slight knot in his stomach, but there was something he needed to say. “Hello, love.” He greeted. “I just have one thing to say and then we can forget I even brought it up.” Genesis grabbed the younger man’s hand, placing their fingers together. “I just wanted you to know…it is okay, to say no. To it all.” He swallowed, looking Zane straight in the eyes, he wanted him to know that he’d be fine. “I’ll be okay, so…how about we go look for something that makes you look even more devishly handsome?”

The gallery swirls around him in colors and textures and words Gregory says that goes in one ear and out the other. Their morning had been fine, normal, relaxed as always. Like the night before hadn’t rocked the foundation Zane had thought they stood on.

But afterwards, when Genesis is gone, he can’t shake the feeling that something is off. He feels the changelings hands on his face even though they aren’t there, hears Genesis supporting words, and he can’t focus worth a shit.

Twice he tells Gregory to fuck off, and twice the man raises an unimpressed eyebrow in his direction. If anyone is used to Zane’s mood swings, it’s him. Working together, even in a friendly manner, didn’t mean they didn’t chafe, but there was rarely a reaction Zane had that Gregory bothered to respond to.

The day is almost over when Gregory finally puts his tablet down, rests his palms on Zane’s desk, and asks him, “Kostantine. Where is your head today?”

In the diaper aisle, he thinks, and hates himself a little for both the sarcasm in even his mental tone and the bad taste the thought leaves in his mouth. “I’m fine.”

“You’re a liar,” Gregory shoots back. “Do I need to call Genesis?”

“No, it’s not that kind of bad day.” It rarely was, in his maturity Zane was a relatively stable person. He ran a hand through his hair and wished there was something else he could call. Ultimately, though, Zane’s list of friends and family was hellishly thin. His grandfather generally wasn’t the kind of person he could lean on, Raymond only existed on his good side when Genesis was a buffer, and Adelaide just… wasn’t that kind of friend. Although her no-nonsense approach would probably be nice, this topic at hand wouldn’t be her cup of tea.

“I’m fine,” he says again.

Gregory gives him another of his unimpressed looks and checks his watch. “It’s time for your fitting, anyway. Clear your head, Zane. I’ll call you a car.”

JB Clothes was not Zane’s favorite place to be, but shopping with Genesis really never was much of a hassle. And his lover seemed to enjoy it, so at least there was that.

The changeling only arrives a few minutes after him, and despite his headspace all day a genuine smile appears on his face. “Hello,” he greets, and is going in for their usual kiss but Genesis keeps talking. He frowns, but let’s Genesis take his hand, and even participates in twining their fingers together.

His heart tightens when his lover says what he needs to, and he’s not entirely sure if he believes him deep down, even though some of the tension in his body relaxes. “Okay,” he says softly, and then clears his throat and nods. “Please. Gregory’s been on me all day about not looking like a college dropout. Which I think is really uncalled for.”

After Zane spoke, Genesis nodded. As long as his lover heard what he had to say then they’d be okay for the time being. Slipping his fingers into the hair at the back of Zane’s head, the changeling pulls his love down. Their lips met, sweetly at first, but it doesn’t take long for Genesis to change the tone. Without resistance, his tongue slipped into the younger mans mouth, twining together with the pureblood’s own. He honestly didn’t mean for it to advance into something more, but a few moments later and Zane was pressed to the side of the building. One of Genesis’ hands slipped down, fingers pressing into Zane’s side before playing with the waistband of his jeans. With their bodies to close together, he could feel how his lover started to harden.

It was hard for Genesis to pull back, but he managed to. He took a deep breath in through his nose and let it out through his mouth before taking a step back. “We should uh…go inside. It’s uncomfortable getting fitted for a suit while pitching a tent.” The changeling teased, taking hold of Zane’s hand once more and leading him into the shop.

Several hours later, the pureblood was decked out in a form fitting black suit. The undershirt was black as well, but the silk material made it shine in contrast to the black of the coat and pants. Genesis decided against a tie, just the top button of the undershirt undone and the coat wide open. Polished black shoes and socks finished off the outfit. His lover looked like the epitome of tall, dark, and handsome.

“He’ll wear it home Laurence. Just add everything to my tab.” The older man looked Zane over once more, a slow sweep from head to toe. He could feel a tightness developing in the pants of his own suit and quickly he turned to make sure there was a driver outside with the limo. Luckily, there was and as Genesis thanked the tailor once more for his services he eagerly pushed his lover into the vehicle that would take them home.

“Put up the divider and turn up your music. Loudly” The changeling ordered sweetly. The glass went up and Genesis soon found himself kneeling between the younger man’s legs, tugging down the fly on his pants.

He didn’t want to undress his lover, no, just gently slip him out of his underwear and through the little gateway his open button and fly created. Then Genesis had Zane in his mouth, sucking eagerly and bobbing his head. His hands gently massaged the pureblood’s thighs. There was just something about Zane in a suit all dressed up and looking delicious that got the changeling raring to go. The real festivities would happen once they got home, but for the moment the blowjob would have to do.

Their sex life suffered when they were both this busy, and so Zane wasn’t nearly as surprised as he should have been when he ended up against a wall, Genesis fingers at his waistband and tongue down his throat and Zane nearly curses him for ending it there, but he proves a good point.

Still, shopping isn’t exactly the best thing to do while trying not to be constantly aroused. Because his clothes keep coming off and Genesis’s hands keep sliding over his body - down his sides, across his back, around his shoulders - and yet he can’t do anything except filter through every unsexy memory he’s ever had in his life in an attempt to keep things down.

Zane looked good in all black. It complimented the darker undertones in his skin, made his chocolate brown eyes look a little more amber, and of course it was a slimming color to his already lean build.

It’d been awhile since Zane had been completely unhappy in a suit, since that had meant council work and trails, so he’s not as opposed to them as he once was but he rarely wears them these days.

He knows exactly what Genesis is thinking when he decides Zane will wear it home, and shoots his lover an amused look as blue eyes sweep across his form. Mess it up and we’ll have to take the time to get it dry cleaned, is a thought he shares, and then he’s glad to be headed home.

He’s in the limo before he even has time to laugh at the changeling for being insatiable, legs falling open and letting the other vampire between them. Soft hands draw him out and Zane head falls back, his hands sliding into Genesis’ hair, holding on as he’s suddenly taken into warm and wet and tight and perfect. “Fuck,” he breathes out, and he’s knows it’s been too long, and Genesis is working him too good, there’s no way he will last.

Genesis was never more happy to not have to breathe than when he was giving head. No need to breathe meant that he could take in as much of Zane as possible without having to worry about suffocating. So that's what the changeling did. He deep throated his lover, using the back of his throat to almost massage the cock head.

Zane was close, he could taste it. He slowly moved back up, releasing the pureblood from his mouth. His eyes looked up to see Zane's face as he trailed his tongue slowly up the other man's shaft. "Don't come yet or you'll dirty your new clothes." Genesis loved making his lover squirm.

Gently his fingers started to massage, beginning at Zane's head and squeezing. Zane cried out and Genesis smirked, meticulously moving down the shaft until reaching the coarse hair on the younger's sac.

He could tell the pureblood wouldn't last much longer though and really, he didn't want to ruin the suit. It was new and trying to explain jizz stains was always kind of awkward. So Genesis opened his mouth once more and took Zane in. Just a few more bobs between the tight ring of his lips and the younger man was coming, spilling his release into the changeling's eager mouth. Once Zane finished, Genesis gave his shaft a few leisurely licks before carefully tucking him back into his pants.

"Now," The older male began, hopping into the seat next to his lover. "I expect you to fuck me into the mattress when we get home." His voice was casual as he spoke, fingers wiping at the edge of his mouth to make sure he left nothing behind.

Sometimes, Genesis was awful. And Zane enjoyed telling him that. At length. Between kissing at his neck and sliding his hand between his lovers thighs. They didn’t have enough time on the ride home for another blowjob, so the teasing would have to work.

When they get home Zane wastes no time dragging Genesis through the house, losing layers of clothes on the way. Genesis chastised him for rumpling his new suit and Zane nearly kills them both trying to deal with the patience it takes to hang the pieces up once Genesis slowly strips them off of him.

Genesis is smirking at him and that look is so annoying that Zane has to kiss him breathless. It turns hungry real fast, and before long they’re both hard and aching and desperate for it.

When he finally gets Genesis stretched out on the bed it’s with both of his wrists locked in one of Zane’s hands, pushed up over his head, while he kneels next to him and works his fingers in until the changeling is begging him for it, calling Zane colorful names.

He’s laughing until he’s finally giving them what they both want, and then he breaks into a moan. His forehead falls against Genesis bare shoulder blade and he sighs, he loves this. How do they ever go a day without this. “Fucking hell, Gen, you feel so good.” He peppers his lovers bare skin with gentle bites and harsh kisses and then places his mouth right to his ear. “Fuck you into the mattress, you said? What if I went slow instead? Agonizingly, ‘feel every inch’ slow. It’s been awhile, maybe that would be fun…”

If didn't surprise Genesis how impatient Zane was once they made it into their home. The pureblood practically dragged him up to their bedroom, but even so, the older male made them strip slowly. Taking clothing off tended to be sensual for them, but Zane's urgency made the changeling laugh.

His amusement didn't last long though, Zane soon had him moaning and shaking. Laying on his stomach with both his hands clutched in one of the younger male's made him feel invigorated. Then the pureblood's fingers are inside him, making Genesis cry out loudly. Words left his mouth, most he couldn't recall saying.

The minute he felt Zane enter, the older man froze. His forehead pressed tightly to the covers beneath him. His hips pressed back, trying to push as much of his lover into him as possible. The stretch, the tightness, Genesis loved the sensation.

“Fucking hell, Gen, you feel so good." He loved the feel of Zane's lips on his feverish skin. The bites and nibbles added to the changeling's heavy lust. "Fuck you into the mattress, you said? What if I went slow instead? Agonizingly, ‘feel every inch’ slow. It’s been awhile, maybe that would be fun…”

The thought of going slow made the Genesis cry out in protest. "Baby, please!" His hands struggled against the pureblood's hold. "It's been so long, just...please..." Two weeks of no sex had been torture enough, at the moment the last thing Genesis wanted to do was slow down. "Later...whatever you want... but I need you right now." He tried to move his hips, tried to thrust his lover in and out, but in his current position with Zane holding the way he was it was impossible.

Back
Top Bottom