Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favorite Subject in School

Charlotte Honeycutt

Sailing the open sea
Many people, myself included are about to head back to school here in the coming weeks. I myself start classes on Monday. It's my Senior year of college! Like what???? Where did all the time go???

This got me thinking though, on the past 17 years of school that I've been through. All the way through Pre-K to being a senior in college. What was my favorite subject? My favorite class? My favorite teacher??

This may seem like a silly thread, and may not get many responses at all, but maybe it'll get people thinking back on their past experiences in school. As a hopeful high school history teacher myself, I'll soon be making a hopeful impact on people's lives as they go through high school and learn things to prepare them for college.

So without further ado... I'll start us off here.

Favorite Class: i took a Model UN class 1st semester freshman year of college. It made me want to be a political science major and later led me to want to be a teacher.

Favorite Teacher: My 6-8th grade history teacher. He made a lasting impact on my life and continues to do so whenever i see him. He's an inspiration to me and I'm thankful to know him.

Favorite Subject:I love love literature/english. I used to get in trouble in elementary school for reading. It was the product of several parent/teacher conferences. I still love to read, but this class allowed me to study it even more in depth with famous literary authors. I try to read a book a month whether it be fiction or non-fiction.

If this thread doesn't take off, so be it... but if you feel so inclined, respond!!

Love ya'll!

:heart:

My favorite subject is mathematics. I liked pretty much every aspect of it. My major (Engineering) deals more with physics, which parts of I loved more than math, but I didn't like everything about physics. I hated everything that had to do with electricity for an example. Don't even get me started on molecular physics.. ughh..

My favorite college class was Heat Transfer. It all seemed intuitive to me when I took it.

Somehow i knew science and math would be brought up. Of all the sciences i took in the years, physics was probably my favorite. I couldn't tell you a single formula or anything like that since the last time i took it was junior year of high school, but it definitely proved challenging while at the same time engaging. It helps that i had a pretty great teacher and a tiny physics class where he could take time to try and help explain things to us.

I've actually had other engineering/physics majors tell me how much they loved Heat Transfer or something to the equivalent of that. They loved it. I never understood it, but to each their own.

^_^

My favorite course was microeconomics in university. It was super hard but felt really rewarding coming out the end with an entirely new understanding of how it all works. This class, as technical as it was, really helped me to leverage my knowledge of community and how to use bare bones economics for holistic development.

Favorite teacher was my thesis advisor, an amazing prof who has done incredible work all over the world. When I faced tragedy in my final year of university and felt like I was dying, she really helped me through! Made sure I was eating well, resting, making progress, adulting, etc etc.

Favorite subject was always social sciences. It's a passion that I've built my career and lifework on.

Psychology. I've always loved learning about it and I do extremely well at it. Human Anatomy was another favorite of mine. I enjoyed that I could name all of the bones without issues. Medical anything is my passion and the only thing stopping me from being a doctor is that I am extremely lazy.

So it seems class = subject in my country, and we don't do major/minor.

My favorites were languages and literature.

History

Because I have a friggin' good memory and history isn't but remembering things as written on your book

Also...

My teacher once said «History books lies! They say "king A invaded B" NO! History books aren't written in ink... NO! when you open them... you should drown in a river of blood! ...THAT is history...»

Instant. Fucking. LOVE.

In college I really enjoyed:
philosophy- I was obsessed with Chinese philosophy. Loved Confucius. There was another person I was interested in, but I forget his name at the moment.
Art- This is a given because I was an art major. I tried to take as many different art classes as I could. Pottery, lithograph, Drawing, 3D, sculpture, you name it I tried to take it.
And Japanese history - That class was a lot of fun, two of my friends and myself convinced one of our english professors to start the class, and he pulled through for us. That teacher was one of my favorite teachers, along with one of my graphic design teachers who's from Jamaica and my drawing teacher who's from China.

At school? Chemistry. By far. I LOVED chemistry. I love it until today.
At university? Biochemistry and pharmacology. *grins*
Good I'm doing something ENTIRELY different for work nowadays. *facepalm*

Cheerleaders

Or, academically, history. I love history. Madame Bathory, the Marquis de Sade, Caligula...just some of my heroes.

Oh, and women's gymnastics. I like to watch.

It was one of the courses that was a little off-the-beaten-track for my degree, but I really enjoyed materials technology.

There was something incredibly satisfying about descriptions of the physical and chemical processes that explained why materials acted in the ways that we intuitively know they do.

Why is one metal more flexible than another? Different crystal structure. What is working steel? In a really simple, inadequate description - increasing hardness by causing a controlled amount of plastic deformation. Why does concrete sometimes need steel? Because it's great at resisting compression forces, but not tensile forces.

It just goes on and on. All that experience you have of how materials work getting explained (to some degree, at least) and suddenly it makes sense. Very satisfying.

I never made it far into college so admittedly I can't say I've ventured much outside standard core classes. History and biology where usually my two favorites. I had computer related courses I did extremely well in, but ultimately I got tired of them. Whereas I still like to read history on my off time and find life on the cellular level fascinating. If I could afford college I'd be going for psychology though.

Favorite teacher would be the head of my Cisco Network Academy class. He was fantastic at being able to convey ideas and concepts, genuinely cared about his students, and even gave us a few life lessons along the way. I also had a fantastic Chemistry teacher and Bio II teacher. While I hated English classes, I totally loved to read and would spend my lunches in the library instead of eating. I'm totally the guy that developed crushes on his librarians (there were two in particular, and they were both sweet on me, ordering books I requested for the library, even entire series.) Damn, remembering those people kinda makes me want to cry (scratch that, I am crying now.) My home life was so shit at that time that they were pretty much the lights of my life. I miss them.

Back
Top Bottom