Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

So, let's hear it for the worst thing to possibly ever happen in an RP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelandic

Super-Earth
You are RPing with someone who you click with quite well, and the RP is great, amazing even. Perhaps it has been the best RP you have had thus far.

Then, poof. Your partner goes offline, never to be seen or heard from again.

Sucks right?... Hell, I dunno what this thread is about. Maybe a tiny bit of me complaining, but of course chatting and venting about such an annoying experience is perfectly ok too! So have you ever had that happen to you? I am sure it has for RP's in general, but has that happened to an especially great RP that you were apart of?

Discuss! :p

i can safely say that i've been on both spectrum of this scale; i've been disappeared on, and have unfortunately disappeared on others. so i understand both sides without much strain.

sometimes it's not something the writer has control over; their internet can get cut off, their computer could fry, etc. there's literally a fuckton of things that could cause someone to disappear from the online world for an extended period of time.

at the same time, when i'm disappeared on, i get the overall sense of "want" (i suppose you could call it that) when it comes to the role play. you'd do anything to read another reply that progressed the scene. there's so many of my role plays that have been dropped several posts in that i still think about to this day, and they were initiated and dropped over a year ago. i still think about them, to this day - and no matter how much i've tried, i've never been able to create a spin-off of the role play by myself. which only adds further to the frustration of wanting to continue something that can't be.

sixlikesgore. said:
i can safely say that i've been on both spectrum of this scale; i've been disappeared on, and have unfortunately disappeared on others. so i understand both sides without much strain.

sometimes it's not something the writer has control over; their internet can get cut off, their computer could fry, etc. there's literally a fuckton of things that could cause someone to disappear from the online world for an extended period of time.

at the same time, when i'm disappeared on, i get the overall sense of "want" (i suppose you could call it that) when it comes to the role play. you'd do anything to read another reply that progressed the scene. there's so many of my role plays that have been dropped several posts in that i still think about to this day, and they were initiated and dropped over a year ago. i still think about them, to this day - and no matter how much i've tried, i've never been able to create a spin-off of the role play by myself. which only adds further to the frustration of wanting to continue something that can't be.

Saaaaaaaaaaame. It's kinda like that "The one who got away" kinda feeling. But yea, it cant be helped. It just sucks when it does happen.

(I really like your profile picture by the way! Is that Tank Girl?)

exactly. it's definitely a "the one who got away" feeling, haha it's a fleeting experience that i find usually gets worse before it gets better.

(and yes - well, it's harley quinn drawn with tank girl inspiration and her pose! c: )

Oh man, I was hoping this was a thread for awkward happenings in rps. Where you are really into, until it takes a strange turn.

xanaphia said:
Oh man, I was hoping this was a thread for awkward happenings in rps. Where you are really into, until it takes a strange turn.

You can still share though! I am always up to hear a good story! :p

Ah, yes. I had a story going where my partner and I seemed to just have that perfect chemistry in as far as the dynamic between characters and what we both intuitively had in mind for the plot direction of a particularly dark story, went, naturally working off each other.

Then one day 'poof', she just disappears

Only to come back about three months later to say sorry, and ask if I wanted to pick back up.

Of course, I do, and for a month or so it goes great.

Then she disappears again.

A couple of months later, she returns and we continue.

Then she disappears again.

Over a year goes past without a word, then one day I log on and she's randomly posted to the story, not messaging me before or after she has.

When I PM her, she said it had been on her mind the entire time and thought that just posting to it might make me keener to pick it back up after her long absence.

I say sure, but whilst I can symapthise and you obviously have your own reasons, please in future, if you can, let me know if you're going to vanish again. Constantly being left in limbo, particularly with how much I love this story as well, is doing my head in and at same stage I'm just going to have make the decision to let it go completely to try to get it out of my brain.

She says she'll try.

Another few posts in and she disappears again.

Three months passes before I notice her online and shoot her a PM. She says she was worried about messaging me as she'd promised to keep me in the loop if she needed to disappear, but hadn't.

A post more each to the story, before she vanishes once more.

It's been nine months or so now, and that damn 'this is unfinished business' still nags at me.

Despite being fortunate enough to pick up another version of it, which looks like it'll be just as enjoyable, though completely different in dynamic, I know pretty much that if my original partner returned again tomorrow and asked to continue, I'd most likely say yes. We even had plans for the sequel!

No going to lie, there is one I still hold a candle for. It's been about three years at this point since he disappeared, but if he showed up tomorrow and asked to restart it I'd probably say yes.

The one I was going to post, I now hesistate to describe since it could come off as shaming. But I recall another I think I can post without offending the person who wrote it.

So, we are writing a scene where my character is being reminded of some trauma she experienced in the past. My partner includes a scene that most certainly crosses my limits, and I had a physical reaction to reading it. In this case, crossing my legs and wincing. I even considered asking him to change it, but it was so well written and evocative I couldn't bear it. If it wasn't a flashback I probably would have, it would have been too intense to write out that experience in real time.

You ever hear or experience the situation where you engaged in sex and during climax they cry out someone else's name?

Now imagine it happening in a RP where they post a reply for a completely different story or use another partners character name from another story for your character. Could be an innocent mistake yet still...awkward for me.

BennyQ said:
You ever hear or experience the situation where you engaged in sex and during climax they cry out someone else's name?

Now imagine it happening in a RP where they post a reply for a completely different story or use another partners character name from another story for your character. Could be an innocent mistake yet still...awkward for me.

oh wow.. that takes some skill to get a character's name wrong in a role play. generally you'd assume someone would be extremely conscious of the names they were writing when typing up a reply - that definitely would be pretty awkward.

sixlikesgore. said:

You described it so perfectly!!!

They disappear, your heart throbs because the play was getting so intense and at a very great part. You message them and you get nothing, either because they flaked out on you or they just never log on anymore.

All you think about is that single RP, even if you have 4 more alongside it. You want to recreate it, or try it with someone else, but you can never EVER get it to be the same without the person who left, so you feel even more empty.

Story of my roleplay life...

Wow. This sounds like therapy for people. I wish I would have thought of this and then I could say "the Doctor is in".

My biggest regret is when you think you write a great post to move the action forward and either your P doesn't pick up on the nuances or thinks you have written a stupid post not worthy of replying to.

Which then brings you to the dreaded "its not you, its me. Can we stop?"

I do have a "Top 5 Rp's ever" and those partners are the best, so I have been ditched on but it wasn't really anyone I was "literary involved" with.

I agree to the statement that there is "magic" when you have a great partner. It is the 'Art of the Rp' and not the science.

sixlikesgore. said:
BennyQ said:

oh wow.. that takes some skill to get a character's name wrong in a role play. generally you'd assume someone would be extremely conscious of the names they were writing when typing up a reply - that definitely would be pretty awkward.

And then having to message them and be like "yeahhh um, wrong post maybe?" It's probably a honest mistake but still, very awkward. Thinking of someone else's RP while writing for me? Just forget it then. I'd prefer no post than a hastily written one.

Ironic said:
sixlikesgore. said:

You described it so perfectly!!!

They disappear, your heart throbs because the play was getting so intense and at a very great part. You message them and you get nothing, either because they flaked out on you or they just never log on anymore.

All you think about is that single RP, even if you have 4 more alongside it. You want to recreate it, or try it with someone else, but you can never EVER get it to be the same without the person who left, so you feel even more empty.

Story of my roleplay life...

For me, that is the joy of RPing, meeting other writers and partners, learning their perspective and getting to see it and how it influences a plot. Everyone is unique in that way, with their own set of experiences and viewpoints that brings a certain flavour to the story. And when they disappear, for good, that unique writing perspective goes away with them. It can never be replicated perfectly. It will never be seen again. And that to me is the most sorrowful thing to endure when losing a partner, that their unique writing style and all is gone.

BennyQ said:

Yeah I did this to Quix. :blush: In our case, I posted a reply to our rp in an old thread of ours. I swear I wasn't drunk.

Ages ago I was really into a great roleplay and my partner disappeared on me. I found out later they had died.

BennyQ said:

*awkwardly raises hand*

yeah, I'm guilty of doing that once or twice ._.

To me the worst thing is having a partner start hitting on me or sending me creepy messages of how much they masturbated over my post. Yeah its somewhat flattering but its extremely uncomfortable to read ._.

xanaphia said:
BennyQ said:

Yeah I did this to Quix. :blush: In our case, I posted a reply to our rp in an old thread of ours. I swear I wasn't drunk.

I suppose that's forgivable since it was all Quix in the end eh?
Forbidden Fruit said:
BennyQ said:

*awkwardly raises hand*

yeah, I'm guilty of doing that once or twice ._.

To me the worst thing is having a partner start hitting on me or sending me creepy messages of how much they masturbated over my post. Yeah its somewhat flattering but its extremely uncomfortable to read ._.

I've been told that as well. Flattering and uncomfortable indeed...

Forbidden Fruit said:

unfortunately, i've learned over the years that it generally just comes with sexually writing. sometimes it's said in a chill way, which is more of a compliment, but i definitely get the.. overly explicit messages that kind of make your face bunch up and the rest of your body freeze with an overall awkward pause.

i've become extremely straight forward with my writing partners who do this in a way that seems like they're leading for more - i can take a joke better than the next person, so i'm generally really relaxed about stuff like that. so, if it makes me uncomfortable, i'm not ashamed to tell them to stfu or i'll gtfo.

It goes both ways. Some people come on here for that reason and you have to expect it; however, you don't need a message about it.

BennyQ said:
xanaphia said:
BennyQ said:

I suppose that's forgivable since it was all Quix in the end eh?

It was amusing at the time, I was just like, "Um, Xana, I love the post, but do you realise you posted it to our old story. It's been inactive for like nine months, how in the heck did you do that!" (Might be better to admit you were drunk, Xana! xD)

I also made up for it by using Xana's characters name in our previous story for her new character in our current story on a few occasions. Think I got to editing them all before she noticed!

HeyThereLittleBear said:
Ages ago I was really into a great roleplay and my partner disappeared on me. I found out later they had died.

That's sad :'(.

I've had my fair share of RP's where my partner just stopped posting. When I asked if they were still interested they would assure me that they were and they would post soon, but they never do. It makes me sad, but I just move on. But I have also poofed on 4 of my partners when I became pregnant and was too sick to RP. At least i told them I was pregnant and not feeling good. I'm sad that I didn't keep RP'ing even though I felt sick because I was really happy with my partners.

A lot of people I've played with disappear, my favourite roleplays have been with people that disappeared. It's quite tragic, I want to continue them, but there's noone there to do it with and you can't exactly just re-write them alone or with someone else like previously mentioned in this thread. And I found it surprising how some of them were even more involved than I was with their profiles with stuff like photoshop signatures and other black magic stuff with constantly updated request thread and 100s of posts and then they're just....gone

Usually, it's after I took like a week to reply and they left somewhere in the middle of that, but that's really not a reason to leave the WHOLE site. Plus it happens so consistently too.

It's weird really.

I still don't know whether disappearing people are worse than people just starting to ignore you after one or two posts, probably not. And even after writing them once (I don't spam people out of principle) they ignore me. And it's people that get along with everyone and with complicated active profiles and I just think 'How do they get this popular by being dicks?'

And boy, am I glad noone tells me how they masturbate over my posts XD That would freak me the fuck out

There's a way to make it flattering and a way to be creepy... It's especially creepy if you're not yet friends and it's detailed.

I've had loads of people disappear on me in the past, but honestly it hasn't bothered me too much. All roleplays end eventually, whether the partners want them to or not, and while it may be frustrating to lose one that you spend a lot of time planning, it's a risk we all know we're taking. The bright side, is you can take the part you worked on, and repackage it into something else for future plays. At least that's how I try to look at it.

Rauk said:
I've had loads of people disappear on me in the past, but honestly it hasn't bothered me too much. All roleplays end eventually, whether the partners want them to or not, and while it may be frustrating to lose one that you spend a lot of time planning, it's a risk we all know we're taking. The bright side, is you can take the part you worked on, and repackage it into something else for future plays. At least that's how I try to look at it.

I agree with this - I've actually stopped worrying so much when people disappear, because I know it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom