Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Network Neutrality, Part II

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
If you are in the United States, today (the twelfth) you will likely be hearing about Network Neutrality from many places on the web.

I wrote about this before, but I would be remiss not to speak on it again.

If you are looking for the facts about Network Neutrality, please read that post. Again, it is important to understand even if you are not American.

It has been fascinating watching this come together.

My hope is that people will understand and accept that this day is a sincere effort, by understanding individuals who wish to secure a better future for this country. There are companies participating today that have far more to lose than to gain from doing so, except perhaps being able to look their most talented employees in the eye.

A tiny non-profit picked a day most of us could agree on, and this fell together in a month. We knew this would happen the moment the election results were finalized. It was only a matter of when.

There has been a flood of misinformation by bodies opposing Network Neutrality, and it gives me some faith in our future that it seems to be amounting to so little.

We might scare Republicans into action, or they may stick their heads in the sand. No doubt some of them will take umbrage at people who understand this issue communicating said understanding.

To me it makes little difference.

Just that today happened is inspiring.

Things To Do (for US Citizens)

Network Neutrality secures the freedom of speech from major communications companies. It ensures a level playing field, and that any new, innovative service need not fear getting blacklisted by an ISP because it disrupts one of their properties.

Every voice counts.

Battle for the Net is the coordinating site, and will have a number of further explanations and options for action.

Charities that help with the Network Neutrality fight are:

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is probably the most famous group lobbying for digital rights in the modern age.
Free Press is a smaller organization, more focused on Network Neutrality itself as well as other factors arising from media consolidation.
Fight for the Future is the charity that organized this Day of Action.

It is a good idea to contact your representatives:

Call your representative or visit them in person. If you call, remember to keep it to a single statement - that you support Network Neutrality.
Do the same with your senators.

Whether you approve of them or not, Indivisible Guide has some solid insight into how to best communicate with your representatives.

Thank you for reading, everyone.

Thank you for explaining all of this and posting links. It was nice to contact my reps when it wasn't about education or health care. :) I urge all of you to take just a few minutes to do the same. It isn't hard and doesn't take long.

Back
Top Bottom