Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

True Strength (Cold Chaos X Darkest Fate)

Coldchaos

Star
Cicadas cry out in the after noon heat. A summer breeze blows over the green grass of the small town village. Just outside the quaint little township is a rather large cottage on the grassy hill side. Resting peacefully on his porch is a retired knight, a veteran of combat. Grey hair and a beard show his experience in this life. He has made a happy home for himself, his loving wife, and his beautiful daughter. There isn't much the old warrior needs in life, but the clothes on his back, a warm meal every night, and the splendid view of the town down the hill.

Off in the distance, he can see a rather bizarre stranger. A young man from up on this spot, his movements headed straight for the old man's cottage. Even from his perch, the grizzled vet could see a sword holstered at the man's side. Judging from the shape of the sheath, it seemed like a katana. Chances were this strange samurai was looking for a fight, he had the movements that tipped it off. Keeping his spot, the old man took in the view of the stranger moving closer to him.

His hair was long and black, stretching to his shoulders. Tanned skin indicated he was familiar with the battleground. A stern expression on his face made it hard to tell what the Asian warrior was looking for. subtle wrinkles were plastered along his face, making him look like he's in his mid 30's Finally standing before the older man, the two stared each other down.

A gentle bow from the samurai shook the old man, making him worry about a surprise attack. "I have heard word you were one of the strongest fighters on the planet. My name is Yusuke Ganjiro. Please, I wish to partake in a duel with you." The samurai asked, showing good grace to his opponent. Yusuke's tone was very formal, even his English was better then most foreigners. His face was rather sincere, showing good grace to the opponent he wanted to fight. It was obvious he wanted something to prove, but still had a code of his own to uphold. The old man stroked his beard, thinking on the challenge he was given. Yusuke remained silent, keeping his patience and holding his bow.

How long had it been since Sir Miles had given up the sword? He still kept his wits, kept his blade both figuratively and literally sharp. His daughter, Isolde, had followed in his footsteps, much to both his and her mother's chagrin (despite his wife being a retired warrior herself). Now he spent his days sitting on his porch, stroking his beard and telling stories of his adventures...

...and training. He had been responsible for Isolde's training, after all, and several others. Still, occasionally eager types would appear at his doorstep, looking for a match, believing that if they could be the one to kill Sir Miles, then they would achieve greatness and some form of immortality. This one approaching appeared to be from the east, and his movement had that sinuous look. Those fighters could be tricky for an armored warrior such as himself. They could also be relatively gentle, at least compared to Western fighters.

Still, Miles reached for his sword as the man approached. He was a bear of a man, towering in height and broad of shoulders. Often it would only take one or two connecting hits to end an opponent's will to fighter, or possibly even their life, even at his late age. Now he looked down at the incoming warrior, ready to add another notch.

"I don't know about planet any more,' the grizzled veteran growled, "but I've beaten my share of upstarts," he stared at the man, this "Yusuke." He had stroked his beard, and now he eyed the man. "I am Sir Miles of the Steel. What are your terms, Sir Samurai?" he wouldn't even try working his old tongue around that difficult name. Leave that to the young people.

Giving a cock smirk, Yusuke lifted up from his bow. Strong, yet modest, this would be a good gentleman's duel. "My terms are simple, Sir Miles." He started, giving the aged hero the title he earned in battle. "It will be a battle to the death. We start at fifteen paces from each other. If you concede at any point, I will spare your life." Yusuke wasn't a cold blooded killer, just a wandering fighter. Drawing his blade, Yusuke pointed to a spot in the grass just under the paces he specified.

Clutching his claymore, Miles moved to his designated position, keeping a sharp eye to monitor the man before him. Reaching his spot, Miles widened his stance for a more firm footing. His blade was pointed right to the sky, as he gripped both hands onto the hilt. Yusuke widened his stance as well, keeping his blade pointed at the large man before him. Each combatant was well trained, sizing the other up as they kept a strong gaze. A warm breeze blew in, as they both planned an approach.

Miles knew he had power and reach, just one massive swing could end this duel. What Yusuke lacked in killing ability, he mad up for in speed. His focus was on the tip of the veteran's blade. Charging forward, Yusuke lowered his sword for a single massive cut. Miles lifted his own weapon over head for a vertical slice. Timing himself, the steel claymore slammed down to meet the eastern man head on. Yusuke quickly sidestepped, not breaking his pace. He dodged the crashing sword, rushing past Miles for his clean cut. Blood gushed from Miles's abdomen, as the warrior took a knee in pain. Yusuke stepped closer, blood dripping from the tip of this katana. He wondered if Miles would accept defeat, or let his own pride be the death of him.

The terms made sense to the old warrior. What grizzled veteran wouldn't wish their life to end with steel? Not that Sir Miles would have believed his life at an end any time soon: he'd yet to see grandchildren, after all. He knew his daughter had been speaking of a young man, but the details escaped him.

Still, a duel to the death? Miles almost felt sorry for the man. How many had he put in the ground?

Speed, always the problem, as Miles found out. The grizzled knight couldn't outdo or outpace the eastern swordsman. He should've put on heavier armor, but his age... he truly had become too old for this sort of fight. He could already feel his blood leaving him, but he stared up at the Eastern warrior, his eyes hard.

"Yield!" yelled a voice. It did not come from either man, but instead from a new arrival. A long-legged woman dashed up the path. Her light armor covered most of her frame, but it wouldn't take much to recognize someone lithe and beautiful. Brilliant platinum hair had been tied up in an intricate braid looping around her head. Her face had a hard expression, a hardness that came from fighting. A light scar cut across one silver-blue eye, the only bared wound. The girl's hard expression did little to hide her beauty, however, though her impressive mail did much to hide the form beneath.

"Who are you?" she was already drawing her weapon, a spear instead of a sword, holding it in a one-handed grip. "What are you doing with my father?"

"Yield, Isolde!" snapped Miles. "It's an honorable duel!"

Isolde looked from father to warrior. This did seem like precisely the sort of thing her foolish old father would do. She tightened her grip on her weapon, eying the stranger. Maybe she could fight him? Challenge him to the death? "What are the terms?" she demanded, speaking not to her father, who looked about ready to fall over, but to the warrior he faced instead.

Taking a few steps away from Miles, Yusuke watched over the woman calling out to them both. This was precisely the reason he allowed warriors to live, if they surrendered. His eyes were focused on the woman's spear, taking a moment to look over the warrior's female form. He gathered the woman's name from his foe's outburst. Isolde was a strong looking lady, Yusuke couldn't deny that. Her sharp blue eyes had him attracted to her, but his focus was on something else.

"The terms were to the death. Your father graciously accepted my challenge. He was given the right to surrender his pride, in exchange for his life." Yusuke explained, keeping a distance to show he did not intend to kill right away.

"If you hold any respect for your father as a warrior, you will let him see this match to the end...What say you, Sir Miles? If you wish to continue, I will not hold back." Man times, Yusuke had given this opportunity to fool hearty warriors. Everyone had a family to take care of, and Yusuke didn't have the right to take that away them. Still, men would rather cling to pride, like a dragon's treasure. Yusuke's vision darted between Isolde and Miles, checking to see which one might try to attack him.

Could Isolde take on this warrior? Perhaps. She knew with certainty that her and her father would finish him, if her father was at his full strength instead of already slumped. But they had agreed to a duel. Isolde understood the connotations, read the honor. She holstered her spear across her back, folded her arms across her chest. Every bit of the daughter and woman in her screamed, screamed for her to move, to intercept. But her father had raised not only a woman but a warrior, an honorable one in much the same vein as himself. If she were to maintain their honor, the appellation of the Steel, then she must respect.

"He doesn't... have me yet," Miles insisted. He used his sword to push himself upright, seeming to ignore the wounds. Clearly he intended to continue the fight, and, more importantly, he had the strength and will to do so. Soon enough he'd be gripping the sword, readying himself for another blow.

Isolde almost literally bit her tongue. This was foolish. So foolish. a waste of skill and life. Her old father may be tough, but he'd already been wounded, and she saw no such markings on the stranger. Perhaps her father would get lucky: he had before. Perhaps the stranger would grow winded; that had also happened. Isolde had seen her father survive worse.

But as her father moved, lunging forward for a feint, she suspected that this may be different.

Yusuke was pleased with Isolde's manners. Miles had raised a lovely young lady, and a noble warrior. As the old man stood back up for another round, Yusuke could feel the bitterness from Isolde. One could only imagine the pain of watching a loved one die in battle, but Miles resigned himself to his fate. Sensing the incoming feint, Yusuke smacked his sword at the claymore before it had a chance to change direction. The impact almost knocked the sword out of Miles's hand. Yusuke shifted his momentum for an upward slash.

Even deeper then before, the sword sliced through his muscular abdomen, cutting through the tunic he had on. Blood was everywhere. It splattered across Yusuke's face, giving him the unyielding gaze of a demon. Shifting the blade again, Yusuke charged forward again. He aimed to stab the sword right through his opponent's heart. Mercy was at an end, the outcome was decided. Murder was in the samurai's eyes, fully intent to kill Miles.

How could he so easily deflect her father's swings? Years of training had embedded Miles' strength upon Isolde: she knew her father to be a bear of a man even now. yet this fighter ducked within, moving smoothly. Perhaps if her father had been wearing better armor, or perhaps if he'd opted to use another weapon besides that stupid claymore of his. Isolde knew that her own gear: the reach, the armor, would likely put her at least at a more equal footing than this.

Blood splattered. Miles grunted, but seemed determined not to go down.

Isolde was having none of it. Her spear lashed out, deflecting the last blow. "He yields!" she announced as her father slumped. Her eyes flashed, and she tossed aside her spear, instead falling her knees before the man. Tears already stung in her eyes, but Isolde knew there was only one recourse in a duel such as this. "And I beg of you, noble Eastern warrior, do not take his life! I have interfered on a battle of honor, let me take the burden of defeat," she lowered her head further still, baring her neck. Isolde grit her teeth, already realizing the consequences, cursing her father. but there was no other choice, none to keep honor and life.

"Take my life in place of his," she insisted, looking up at the warrior. "I, Isolde of the Steel, take my father's punishment-" she could hear her father groaning protest, and she simply spoke louder: "By rite of blood I take his punishment in his place!" her eyes flashed. She would have this; she needed to save her father. The others would understand. Plus, as soon as she gave her life, she could admit to yielding. He had mentioned accepting surrender...

Yusuke was taken aback, shocked by the selfless nature of Isolde's offer. Her action stirred something in the samurai. She was glowing in his eyes, as a stern expression looked over the scene around him. Blood dripped from his sword, as he clutched it even tighter. He could see the tears dripping from her cheeks. Did Yusuke have the right to end the life of such a beautiful young maiden. Swallowing hard, Yusuke stepped closer to the woman, sword at the ready. "Very well...for daring to interfere in a gentleman's duel, I claim your life for myself. We leave for my homeland first thing in the morning. You will live in my manor, and tend to my needs."

It was an odd declaration, Yusuke made sure to let the others understand his words. He meant what he said, he would take Isolde away in a less violent manner. Reaching into his coat, the warrior grabbed a white handkerchief to clean his blade. Discarding the bloodied cloth, he locked eyes with Miles. "We can not test strength when an interference takes place. This fight ends in a draw, I do apologize. It was a well fought match, and I commend your skill." Yusuke did his best to preserve the knight's honor, if only to appease his new lady. He knelled down to meet with Isolde.

"I will not leave empty handed. Try to run away, and I will claim your father's honor." His tone had a small ounce of venom in it. While he was being merciful to her father, he would not tolerate any negligible behavior from Isolde. His hand gently grasped at her chin, nudging her onto her feet. "Pack your things, let your loved ones know, and I will be ready to pick you up at dawn. Up, we must tend to your father's wounds."

What... what was happening? Isolde stared at the Eastern warrior, disbelief twisting her beautiful features. He... he claimed her life. That made sense. But the latter bit... he spoke as if he took her for a servant. no, not as if she were to be his servant, but his slave. Isolde heard her father cry out, likely realizing what the man intended more than his daughter. There was something partway between a protest and a moan leaving the grizzled warrior now.

Isolde remained still, almost frozen. Her blue eyes seemed almost frozen in place, and with her white-blonde hair she seemed almost as if sculpted from ice. She could see the warrior cleansing his weapon, heard him proclaiming the match a draw. There was even a concession for skill. Was this... why was Isolde alive to hear all this? Shouldn't he have ended her?

His face hovered near hers. Isolde turned to look, meeting his gaze. Orders came, orders backed with just enough malice. Isolde felt slight tears building at the edge of her vision. She blinked, defiantly working them away, anger filling her. This strange warrior helped her to her feet, all but insisted upon it. The armor-clad female tottered for a moment, but remained standing. Soon she took on a military stiffness, though her gaze remained locked ahead.

"I will do as you ask, for the honor of my family," she said, still stiff. Isolde bowed her head slightly, then stiffly turned. Her father moaned, and Isolde paused next to him, closing her eyes. With more tears starting to fall, she knelt next to him, dutifully working to apply some first aid. Her hands turned red immediately, but she couldn't help but feel that the worse wound had been struck upon her.

Yusuke didn't want to frighten the girl, but he felt like his threat was clear. If she ran from this deal, he would kill her father. Her words indicated she knew her position, which was enough to satiate the older warrior. There was a fishing town not too far from here. Yusuke's plan was to fight Miles, then return home with his pride. To rip Isolde away from home, right here, right now, would be too cruel for the grieving lady. He was being considerate of her feelings, by letting her tend to her father.

"You will leave your weapons and armor here. They are not necessary for the work I have for you...and I simply do not trust you with them. If you think about bringing a hidden weapon, there will be severe consequences. If you do not wish to ask anything else of me, I shall leave you to mentally and physically prepare." She was a capable fighter, Yusuke knew this. Being too lax could cost the samurai his life. Isolde could have any reason to kill him. Revenge for her father's injuries, an attempt to escape her fate as a slave, or because she just didn't like Yusuke. Turning his back on father and daughter, Yusuke prepared to pack his things for the trip back home. His long black hair blew in the warm breeze.

The cowardly temptation to strike at the man's retreating back roared up within Isolde. It would be so simple. Just pick up her spear and lunge forward. he may see it coming, may deflect the incoming blow if his battle sense was any good. They might have engaged in combat; she may have won and lost her honor but gained her life. Or she may have lost life and limb to the warrior.

It didn't matter: Isolde couldn't betray the honor. Something within her kept her kneeling there, even as she heard his orders. no more armor. No more weapons. Likely this strange man would have some, but any he would possess he would know to use more than she. Isolde swallowed down more frustration. Perhaps she needed only to wait. Time often sided with the patient, and she had learned patience in her life as a warrior.

So she left him to leave. She watched him walk away. She turned and helped her father back into the house. The aged knight would need rest, and Isolde prepared as much as she could. The wife would return from her own duties. She would be aghast, would protest, would insist upon taking Isolde's place or fighting the man or damning their honor. None of these were options Isolde was willing to take, not even as her mother reminded her of Isolde's own love, of the life and what she was giving up.

It was a cold, early morning when Isolde set out. Dawn had not yet gathered. The lean warrior wore the simple garb she'd worn for training; a pair of light leather pants with a light blue tunic tied over the top. It did little to enhance from the rugged beauty, or to display the womanly shape underneath. She only needed a few packs: a few clothes, mementos and the like. Isolde was not entirely sure where the warrior would be. He'd likely expect her at her house at dawn. She would meet him on the road. For her mother would likely have planned something, or the others who knew. Isolde knew that this had to be done this way, and so, she waited.

Stepping past the sleeping village under the hill, Yusuke trudged past the morning dew. He was lucky to buy a cabin for a trading shop the other day. Ysuke cold spot Isolde walking towards him along the path from home. Just as he commanded, she only wore simple traveling clothes and her spear was nowhere in sight. Still, Yusuke couldn't help but feel a defiant fire behind those innocent eyes. It would take more then a little coercion to bend this warrior to his will.

Reaching Isolde, Yusuke darted his eyes all across her body. Any bumps or odd folds would tip him off of any hidden weapons. At the moment, nothing seemed suspicious. There wasn't much to say, Yusuke could only guess how Isolde must be feeling. She had her chance to say goodbye, and now it was time to leave her old life behind.

"The boat is further down the road." He stated, point behind him in the direction Isolde was facing. "We'll reach my home land by midnight. It's going to be a long trip." Yusuke had never owned a slave before. The occupation was perfectly legal, but slaves were namely owned by royalty and nobles. Not only that, Isolde was a foreigner. The others would no doubt fancy a woman like her. Yusuke didn't want to think about selling her services to others...at least not until they were home. Keeping his stern demeanor, he led Isolde to the boat they'd be traveling in.

Back
Top Bottom