Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Danger's Calling (Charlie_Death & Bec Teri)

Eidie laughed, "That's a far better story then how I came to work at the Tipped Chalice. I just walked in, Sam called across the place, 'You Eddard the SwordMaster's daughter?' Naturally I said yes, he asked 'You looking for work?' Again I said yes. He said, " Good, you're hired, come grab this tray at take it to the back table.' Apparently he had three girls quit on him already that week."

Casdon let out a chuckle, shaking his head. "You know... I think I may have played a part in that. But in my defense, I didn't think she thought I was serious about her... or that she had a sister... and she wasn't open to that... or that I had suggested it more than once."

"I'm just glad it only took one bloody palm for you to take the hint. I swear that tavern was the only place men felt it was safe to hit on me. When the local Sword Master is your father most boys barely look in your direction never mind making passes. My first was terrified father would relieve him of his manhood should he catch wind of what we were up to. It put a strain on the relationship I can tell you that much. That girl you spoke of, what happened to her? I'm not familiar with the name."

"Aloramae?" Casdon scratched his chin. "I never did catch her eye. She eventually left to study in the Tower. She learned that she had a talent for enchantments and got recruited by the Order of the Gold Tower and I haven't really heard much about her after that. I never did understand those who choose to dabble in magic. Nothing good could ever come of that."

The Order of the Gold Tower was a group of wizards, enchanters, and magical healers that operate on their own. They have existed for centuries, with their origins stemming back to the first spell caster, a hermit by the name of Brel Galerias who was said to have been able to create a massive tower by controlling lightning. Casdon never really believed that story was true since no one has been able to recreate it but nevertheless, the order remains, training anyone who has some magical abilities no matter what government was in power. He supposed their existence in every kingdom was so that the rulers could have some powerful allies if they are under attack. If anyone ever wanted to find those that magical abilies, their towers were easy to find. White stone towering above all other buildings, surrounded by a secretive wall, all of which will emit a faint golden glow at night. A homage to their founder, he supposed.

"I suppose that's why I've never heard of her. Still, she was rather rude about the whole affair wasn't she? I'm not saying she should have accepted your gift, but you make her sound like a right bitch the way she spat on your efforts. Of course if she was truly of elven descent that may explain a thing or two." Eidie only used her blades on those who thought they could touch certain parts of her without her permission. Most, like Casdon, took the hint, but more then a few didn't. It was as though they thought if they kept at it one day they'd catch her off guard without the carefully placed blades. Growing up more or less ignored by the opposite sex, Eidie was never sure if these men actually found her attractive or if it was the fact she was female and that was enough for the usually drunken bastards. Her mother had called her a late bloomer once, whatever that was supposed to mean.

It didn't matter of course, looks weren't everything. She would probably describe her features as plain, but she wouldn't call herself ugly. She'd been told she looked a lot like her father when he was young on several occasions, but she wasn't quite sure what that was supposed to mean either. She'd never really cared enough to ask. "Was it difficult knowing you didn't want to be a guardsman when your uncle was so for it?"

"It probably would explain a lot. She always kept her ears hidden in her hair so we never really knew." Casdon let out a small chuckle. There were times when some would tease her by trying to brush her hair off her ears, but not one was ever successful enough. "I suppose it wasn't. I just didn't have the motivation to learn. Sure, the other boys took up for the blade or followed the crafts of their fathers and I suppose I had a chance to break away from whatever trade my father had if he had one." He shrugged. "I just didn't feel like I was meant to be in a uniform standing at a gate for hours or patrolling. It felt... boring. I know it's weird for me to say something is boring," he chuckled, "especially when I spend my time following the same routine. Or you can just said there is too much room for surprise. What about you? I know you said you wanted more adventure, but did you get that from your father or was it something else that made you want to go out gallivanting in the wilderness?"

"I suppose you could say it was more because I was always told I couldn't. Mother always trying to teach me how young ladies should act, father knowing I was hiding so I could watch him teach, and practicing with my wooden sword in secret, but never allowing me to actually join in a class. I guess spite is a good a reason as any to go on an adventure. Wanting to break away from what's expected of you to pursue something better. That's what led Midian to join the Tessarie Priesthood. Mother thinks he's a temple bound priest, she'd probably have a stroke if she knew the thruth."

"Temple bound?" Casdon looked at Eidie confused. He had heard of the priesthood that she mentioned but wasn't completely familiar with them. "Do the priests not tend to the temples? I'm not much of a religious person but I thought all priests stayed in their temples, polishing altars and what have you. So what does your brother do?"

Eidie laughed, "The Tessarie Priesthood are warrior priests, like a traveling guard. Father always called them pointless. They police people based on their gods morals. He disapproved of my brother's decision, but agreed to not let mother know his true destination. As far as I know he's stationed in the north, so we shouldn't run into him any time soon."

"Huh," Casdon crossed his arms and leaned back. "It seems like your mother may be the only one in your family that isn't inclined to the use of weapons. I pity those that will marry into your family. Poor fool will be outnumbered in any dispute." He laughed at the thought that if another warrior married into the family, he or she can easily be overpowered.

"Well as I'm the only one left able to marry, it's safe to say your pity may not be needed," Eidie said bowing her head with a grin. "Besides, I mentioned father preferred diplomacy to blade."

"Then I guess your diplomacy is more pointed, Eidie," Casdon laughed as he rubbed his hand remembering when he met one of her blades. "I'm glad, because I think that fool would much more than pity!" After he settled down from his burst of laughter he scratched his chin. "You said your father's name was Eddard?"

"Yes, Eddard Robmar Sinclair. Why?" she stirred the pot once more before tasting the brewing stew. She added a few herbs from her satchel and stirred it once more. It was almost ready.

Casdon smirked. "I have heard that name a few times, but not with anything polite in the same sentence. My uncle had complained that there was no real reason to teach survival skills to guards whose duties are to tend to those in the city walls. The means of fighting and how to interact with others is supposed to less focused on teaching skills of mercenaries and more uniform tactics."

"I would have paid good money for your uncle, armed with his sword, to have attacked my unarmed father. That would have been a beautiful battle indeed. The guards of the city are unprepared for an actual attack on the city. Over confidence that the walls will never be over run will be that city's downfall should they piss off the wrong person with an army at their disposal. My father's actual words," she laughed. "I think it would have been interesting to see them actually interact with one another."

He laughed at the idea of the two meeting, even though he never met her father, he was sure that he would have bested his uncle. The only thing that was scary about that scenario is that he might have had a stricter instructor. "My uncle believed that a guard's duty was to keep the peace amongst the citizens since that the more prevalent danger to a citizen's life than a foreign army... I think he is as fond as going out of the city walls as I am."

"Father wasn't a huge fan of the idea either, he didn't care for me traveling even to my Aunt in the next town. But I think that was more his dim view of independent women. I honestly don't know why he thought I'd grow up to be anything less then I am now. I never was the demure flower. I was usually out getting into trouble with the boys chasing after Midian and his friends."

"Midian? I didn't you knew him." Casdon spoke, intrigued. As far as he knew, he never met Eidie until she became a waitress at the Tipped Chalice. Hearing that she knew someone that he knew in his youth was news.

Casdon paused as he shook the cobwebs off of his memories. "Wait... that Midian was your brother?"

Casdon looked at Eidie again trying to put her face to the face of the sibling of someone he knew. She looked nothing like the little girl that he knew of. He wasn't exactly friends with her, he knew of her, but he never paid much attention to her because she wasn't as pretty as other girls. Even the more humble looking ones seemed to gather more attention than she did. "I... I knew he had a sister but... You look a lot different now."

Eidie laughed, "It's amazing what two feet of hair and a pair of breasts will do for a girl. Mother had a hell of a time convincing me to stop cutting it. Hold on, how well do you know Midian?"

Casdon thought back to his past. Being the lazy creature he was, he often sat on the sidelines when there was too much rough housing or anything that would make him to physically exhausted. "I used to hang around him when I was younger but we went our separate ways after awhile. Mostly because I got so caught up with my apprenticeship." He paused for a moment before rubbing his neck feeling a bit embarrassed. "Why? Am I missing something important? I feel like I am."

It took a few minutes, but slowly the confused look on Eidie's face turned suspicious. "No... You've never gone by the name Don have you?"

Back
Top Bottom