Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Danger's Calling (Charlie_Death & Bec Teri)

"You won't get drunk and forget you offered right?" She asked as she finished pouring the drink. "Because I will leave without you, and then you'll have offered to go with me for naught."

Casdon shook his head. "No, I won't. As soon as I drink this, I'm going to get everything sorted out at home." He paused for a moment before asking, "When and where do you want to meet before we leave?"

Eidie passed him the glass, "Tomorrow morning, first light. Meet me in front of the stables behind the tavern. Do you have a horse Cas? Can you ride?"

Casdon held up a finger as he drank the whiskey in one large gulp. Setting the glass down, cringing from the bitter taste, he finally answered. "I know how to ride but I don't have a horse. I can get one by then though."

"Good, until tomorrow then." She grinned, a small part of her didn't think he'd actually show at first light, it wasn't like him to be awake that early. But she was now determined to go through with this scheme. "If you'll excuse me, I've got to let Sam know he's got to find a new bar maid."

Casdon pulled out a few gold coins to pay for his drinks before getting up to leave for home. With a focus on keeping his promise he began to construct a mental list on what to do. First off was to obtain a horse. What he had on him was not enough to pay for such a beast, especially one that would be suitable for long travel. Once he got home he went straight to his room and stared at the decorative rug that hung above his bed. With a sigh, he removed his boots and climbed atop the bed. As he pulled down the rug, a hole in the wall was revealed that contained a lockbox, some papers, and a bottle of expensive brandy.

"Well... Might not be the special occasion I was wanting but it certainly is something," he said to himself as he fished out a small key to open the lockbox. In it was a large sum of coins and an old ring with a crest on it. After staring at the ring, he slipped it on his finger and emptied out the lockbox, placing it back in the hole. He shifted through the papers, mostly deeds and old letters asking about his health from his parents. Not that he spoke to them much having grown up with his uncle. He searched the house for a pack and began to fill it with some clothes, oil, and the small tools of his trade. He didn't plan on giving up his trade now that he will be going on the road, besides, he can always pick up discarded items along the road and make things to sell if they are in a financial pinch.

Placing the pack by the door, he headed out to the market purchasing dried meats, a water bladder, flint, a cloak that had been treated for the rain, a bedroll, and was fitted for leather armor. He might not be a skilled warrior, but he wasn't a fool enough to go out on the road without some form of protection. Realizing that better safe than sorry, he also purchased a small dagger and healing poultices. Lastly, all that remained was to procure the horse. Spending a good amount of the gold he had stashed away, he bought a chestnut colored horse and a saddle. Instead of riding her back, he decided to walk her, preferring the slow pace to continue to reflect on the realization that he really was going through with it. He really was going to leave Norwell, beyond the city walls, beyond the next town, beyond civilization into the unknown where anything can happen. It was an unsettling thought for someone who had planned to live his life out in the same routine until he died.

When he got home he put all the supplies together and informed his uncle that he was going to be leaving the city. In hearing that, his uncle had offered one of his swords as a gift before Casdon could ask for it. He felt bad for it since he could hear the unease in his voice in him leaving. With an agreement to be woken up early, Casdon climbed into his bed for the last time and drifted into an uneasy sleep.

"I'm done Sam," Eidie said crossing her arms.

"Oh please, you've been done how many times in the last three years? Go home, get some sleep, maybe come in a little later tomorrow. It'll be fine." The burly dwarven barkeep tried to reason with her.

"Not this time Sam, I'm serious. I won't be in tomorrow."

"Bloody hell Lass, the adventure thing again?"

"I need to fly Sam."

"Flying isn't all it's cracked up to be."

"Says the mouse to the sparrow."

The old dwarf studied her for a few moments. "There's no talking you out of it this time?"

"Nope, my mind's made up Sam. I leave at first light."

Sam nodded, "Alright then Lass, come by the kitchen before you leave. I'll have some hardy food stuffs that should see you through at least a few days."

"Really?"

"Aye, unless you wake up and change your mind and come to your senses."

Eidie rolled her eyes, "Not this time Sam."

He shook his heavily whiskered head. "Fine Lass, sometimes we need to discover our follies on our own. Come by the kitchens, give us a proper goodbye."

"I can finish my shift first."

"If you wish," he said with a nod.

Eidie returned the nod and headed back out into the tavern. In truth, she had most of her gear already packed and ready at home. She had been packed for months, just waiting for the right moment to spread her wings sort of speak. She hadn't expected her most regular customer to be the kick she needed to drop from the nest. Whether he showed or not, come first light she would leave this city for anything better then her lot.

Her shift seemed to drag on forever, her irritation with the more handsy patrons grew, but she just kept reminding herself that this was the last night she'd have to put up with this bullshit. At the end of the night Sam handed her a coin purse with the last of her wages, which she added her tips too, and she left the tavern for home. That's when her excitement began to rise and bubble in her gut. She felt light as a feather, as though a huge weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She was finally getting out of here! She practically flew home, her steps felt so light, and when she walked into her mother's house the old woman immediately picked up on it.

Saudi Sinclair broke into a huge grin, "I know that look! It's finally happened!"

Eidie froze, "What mama?"

"You're in love! Oh happy day!"

"Yes...," she knew her mother wouldn't approve of the real reason she was so happy, so she needed to think quickly. "But he lives quite far away, Mama. I'll be riding out tomorrow to meet him and then will be heading to his home."

"What about the wedding? You aren't just running off with some scoundrel are you?"

Eidie managed to keep a straight face, but the image of Casdon popped into her mind the moment her mother mentioned a scoundrel. "Of course nwasn'ther. He's a returning soldier, I'll send for you once we're settled Mama. He wants to marry on his family lands, that's not so bad is it?"

Saudi sighed, "If only I hadn't lost my wedding gown in that fire..."

Eidie hugged her mother, feeling a small prang of guilt for lying to her mother, she decided to keep right on doing it. "That's alright Mama, he said he would buy me one of my very own."

"Comes from money does he? What's my new son in law's name Eidie?"

"He's the son of a baron Mama, his name is Lord Dorick Sparrow. Mama, I have to leave at first light..."

"Of course! Of course! But Eidie, we must talk about the marriage bed."

Not having the heart to tell her mother she wasn't a virgin, Eidie sighed and listened to her mother explain an out dated explanation of a wife's duty to her husband. It took the better part of two hours before her mother finally let her head to bed. Eidie was officially exhausted, but she still managed to gather her packs and coins before catching a few hours sleep.

As she always did Eidie rose a good hour before the sun, she got up and dressed in her usual fashion, and carried her packs down the stairs. Her mother was still asleep, so before she left the house she made a light breakfast for her. Then, she hurried out the door.

The stables behind the tavern were quiet, the only sounds the gentle breathing of the few horses housed there. Eidie walked to the very back of the stables to where a dark grey horse slept. Tempest had once belonged to a very foolish man who thought robbing the tavern was a good idea. She thought otherwise, and told the man as much with the throwing knife he found embedded in his eye. Sam gave her the horse as a thank you. Tempest was a spirited animal, so naturally they got along famously. She gently woke the horse and then began to ready it for the journey ahead.

Casdon was in a deep sleep when he woke to increasingly harsh nudges. He cracked open his eyes to see that the oil lamp by his bed was lit and the sun was not already fully risen. "What am I doing up so early?" He grumbled before he saw that his uncle was the one that woke him. After a moment, he remembered why he was getting up so early and slowly climbed out of bed, body aching from not receiving his usual amount of sleep.

"If you take that long to wake up each morning, you'll never survive," his uncle remarked with concern.

Casdon just waved him off and washed his face in the washbasin before answering. "I probably won't, but I made a promise to a friend. If I didn't go, knowing how badly she wanted to leave but was stuck here... I don't know... I probably will feel guilty every time I saw her."

"Her? You didn't tell me you were going for a woman. Are you finally settling down?"

Casdon let out a sarcastic laugh as he pulled on his clothes. "No, nothing like that. Like I said, she's a friend and helping her leave is the least I can do. After all, isn't that what friends are for?" Casdon inspected his dim reflection in the mirror as he adjusted his cloak. He looked like a completely different person, like someone that does something with their life. "It's too late to go back to bed, isn't it?"

"It is." His uncle held out the sword belts with a smile. "Now leave, it isn't polite to keep a lady waiting."

Casdon shook his head as he carried out his supplies and tied them to the horse. Still tired, he climbed on and slowly rode to the stables. He was rubbing his eyes and yawning hard enough that he nearly missed the stables. It was too early to even be awake, at least the streets were quiet and he didn't have to worry about running into someone.

Eidie was coming out of the kitchens with a sack of provisions to add to her horse's saddlebags when she spotted Casdon. Sam was sitting on a barrel smoking from a long pipe as she walked out. "Taking my best customer with you too I see." He mused.

"I honestly didn't think he'd come..." Eidie said a little impressed. "Now I feel bad for doubting him." She waved to the sleepy mounted man. "I've just got to get my horse!" And then hurried into the stable.

Sam fixed his gaze on Casdon and puffed his pipe for a few moments, "Never pegged you for a wanderer Laddie."

Casdon stopped when he heard Eidie's voice. How in the great hells is she awake at this hour? He reared the horse around and into the stables giving Sam a tired wave. "Morning Sam. Honestly, " he let out another loud yawn. "...never would have thought so myself. I already miss my bed." He let out a laugh before looking at the back of the tavern. The only times he ever saw it from that angle were when he was too drunk to get home and needed a place to get sick. It was so different.

"If you're hoping she'll get a few towns over and change her mind, I fear she's too far beyond that now. You of all people I didn't think I'd have to have a chat with." Sam shook his head, "Still, at least I know you'll be there to keep her from getting into too much trouble."

Casdon looked down at his legs that had been covered in leather that had small metal studs along the front. Indeed, he thought he would be the last one to do something like this. "At least we both can agree on that. And I will do what I can to keep her out of trouble... Although I think we have to worry more about her dragging me into it." He let out a chuckle. He was sure that even if he tried to keep her from getting into something bad, that before he knew it, they would be in the middle of it. "Just promise me that you will keep my old stool if you decide to refurbish." he added with a chuckle.

"It's a deal, then, no funny business now, don't know how many blades she keeps hidden." Sam nodded to Eidie as she came riding out of the stable. "Are you sure you don't want to take my Axe?"

"I'm sure, poor Tempest is laden down enough don't you think?" With two sets of large saddlebags, one in front the other behind the saddle, plus herself and the pack on her back, she figured there was already enough weight on the horse without adding Sam's enormous war Axe, especially since she could barely lift the thing herself. "Besides, I have my sword and my knives, we'll be fine."

"You best see no harm comes to this one Lass, I expect you to bring him back in one piece. I'll make sure Maude checks in with your mother for you."

"I appreciate that Sam. You ready Cas?"

Casdon hung his head when Sam told Eidie to look out after him. That seemed completely ass backwards but then again, he really wasn't much of a fighter. "Thanks for your consideration of my well being, " he muttered before sitting up straighter. "Yeah, I'm ready. "

Eidie managed not to laugh at her companion's indignation, Sam however snorted. "I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for Lass, good luck."

"Thanks Sam. Alright Cas, we head south I think," she said as she nudged Tempest into a trot. She did have an ulterior motive for wanting to leave the city, Sam couldn't possibly know that besides adventure she was looking for information. Any information she could find about a missing man. News of him tickled in to the tavern regularly when she first started working there, but slowly fewer and fewer travelers brought news of him back. She had to know if he was alive or dead, he'd been on his own adventure for almost seven years now. And three months ago was the last time a traveler had spoken his name while regailing their adventures. But even that wasn't a recent escapade. She wasn't sure how Casdon would take the knowledge that this trip was mainly a fact seeking mission, but she'd cross that bridge when she came to it.

Casdon nodded and waved goodbye to Sam as he followed Eidie. He was still tired from waking up so early and although the brief conversation in the stables woke him up, he continued to yawn. Once they walked through the main gates he began to feel uneasy. He knew he had agreed to go, he even tried to prepare himself the day before, but nothing lessened the blow of reality. He looked back at the white walls of the city he had called home for most of his life, watching them slowly decrease in size as they went farther ahead.

He rode up beside Eidie, getting as close as the horses would allow him so he wouldn't have to yell. "This will be the first time I was actually awake to see the sun rise." He glanced in the direction of rising sun before looking back at her with a half hearted smile. "Can't say I see what the big deal is about the sunrise. Is there a place you had in mind going to, or are we just going to be riding around and hope that something exciting happens to us?"

"A little of both? There's a town a good two days ride from here that I heard a few of the travelers talk about, Twin Oaks? I've always fancied checking it out. I'm told they have some of the finest mead there." It was the only positive thing any traveler had to say about the dump of a glorified village. There were rumours of a priest who may know something about the man she sought, he liked to hand out at the tavern that served said mead on the outskirts of said town.

Two days ride. That meant that if there were no bumps along the way, he will only have to sleep outside for just a single night. That may not be so bad since the sky was nearly cloudless and the weather wasn't too hot, nor too cold. If there was an upside to leaving for the road, it was that it was done during good weather. "Mead, huh? Might just have to give it a try." Casdon scratched his chin with a smile thinking about how their journey will also allow him to sample different alcohols from different regions. That would certainly be a huge benefit and speaking of alcohol, he wondered when would be a good time to break open that bottle of brandy he brought along. "Well, if we are going town to town and not going into any abandoned mine, or building, or bandit hide out, or whatever dangerous... this may not be so bad."

"You never know, I could suddenly become very interested in any one of those lovely suggestions. I just haven't heard of any from behind the bar that interest me just yet. Twin Oaks could provide better gossip about forgotten treasure, vicious beasts terrorizing the local populace." She laughed.

Casdon shot her an unamused look. "Don't even joke about that. I'm nervous as it is. The last time I even carried a sword was when I was a boy and my uncle wanted me to join the guard." He scoffed as he looked back towards Norwell. They had gotten enough distance that only the tops of the towers were visible with their shredded, wind beaten flags. "He gave up when I found an apprenticeship with a carver..." he coughed and rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed that he needed to even say his next statement. "I may need you to teach me a few tricks with the blade."

They continued to ride, taking small breaks for the horses to drink when they came across a stream or to relieve their own bladders. As the sun began to set, they kept their eyes open for a spot that would have been good for camp. After finding a location between the trees that were getting thicker the further they travelled south, Casdon was the first to dismount and tie up his horse. There were enough bushes along the campsite that could shield them from the main road and the sound of a nearby stream. The one they had stopped at early diverted from the road before turning back towards the road, steadily thickening as it reaches the river they will have to cross.

He began to relieve the animals of the supplies, keeping his pack nearby. He planned on opening the bottle of brandy later that night. "Will we be having to sleep in shifts?"

"We can if it'll help you sleep better, but i've always been a light sleeper." While he had been relieving the horses and setting up a basic camp, Eidie had laid a few traps, both for food, and to alert them to approaching men or beasts.

Casdon thought for a moment. He would feel better if they were taking shifts, but if she is a light sleeper and the more experienced swordsman, maybe he should take her advice. "If you think we will be fine, we can get a full night's sleep." He collected a few branches and piled them at the center as he prepared to make the campfire. Once it was lit he picked up his bag and pulled out the bottle of brandy. "I was saving this for a special occasion... this seems like one, doesn't it?"

She snorted, "What are we celebrating then? The first steps of what is hopefully an interesting journey? Or the fact I actually got you to break from your routine?" She was searching around the campsite for a pair of sticks that would suit her aim at helping Casdon improve his skill with the sword before they tried with real blades.

Back
Top Bottom