Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Danger's Calling (Charlie_Death & Bec Teri)

Charlie_Death

Super-Earth
Casdon Ferri began his usual routine by rising late in the morning, or early noon to most people. He went back to finishing whatever small carving he was working on. He liked to consider himself a skilled craftsman who knew how to turn any piece of wood, stone or bone into something nice. Mostly they were custom pieces for board games or religious items, although he wasn't much of a religious man himself. Once they were done, he would pawn them off at one of the stalls in the market to be resold to who ever wanted them. All he cared about it was getting the money to pay his tab at the Tipped Chalice, the best tavern in the City of Norwell, or all of Orlandra if you asked him.

Dressed in a loose fitting green tunic and grey trousers, he flung the wooden door open with a flourish. "I'm back!" he called into the tavern. Not many patrons were in at the time, as the normal work day for most people has yet to end. His brown hair reached his chin, framing his smiling face as his green eyes began to search the half empty tavern. He always went to the Tipped Chalice, not just because it had great ale and wine, but because the one woman he always considered a friend happened to work there. She was the one thing he looked forward to each day besides sleeping with a full stomach of food and drink.

Eidie Sinclair was wiping down tables, preparing the tavern for the lunch crowd when he came strutting in at his usual time. She shook her head, "I don't know why you even bother leaving Cas, you spend the majority of your time here drinking us dry." Her sky blue eyes sparkled with amusement as she looked up at him. She couldn't remember a time when he hadn't spent most of his day eating and drinking in this tavern. At least not since she had started working there some five years past. He was probably the only part of her daily routine she still looked forward too. Most of her other patrons spent too much time thinking with the wrong head, Casdon at least kept a conversation doing without pawing at her assets. "Table or bar today?" She asked as she finished wiping down the table in front of her.

She was dressed in her usual attire, a long grey skirt that concealed a pair of trousers, a white blouse with sleeves rolled to her elbows, and a very tight fitting blue bodice that matched her eyes. Her black hair was tied back in a loose braid that rested on her shoulders. She stood a good head shorter then her favourite patron.

Casdon waved towards the bar and helped himself to a seat, leaning his back against the counter. "I'll take the bar as usual." He scratched his chin realizing that he forgot to shave again. That was one good thing about people knowing that you frequent a tavern as much as he does, you don't have to bother with keeping up a tidy appearance, not that he doesn't try. "Besides, I have to go get the money to pay my tab, if I didn't have to do that, I just might never have left." He chuckled as he reached for the coin purse tied to his belt. He counted out a few coins and set them on the bar beside him. "I was short yesterday, wasn't I? I either keep forgetting how much I drink or I just don't know how to count."

Eidie laughed, "A little of both I suspect." She swept the money off the bar and stashed it safely in the cash box. She checked the exact amount his tab had risen to. "Seems like neither was your problem yesterday. You're not getting sick on us now are you? Or did you find yourself a pretty lass that parched your thirst instead?" His bill was a tad bit shorter then usual. Yesterday being her day off she hadn't been around to notice his thirst had be satiated some other way. "Or did I miss something more impressive while visiting my Aunt?"

"I couldn't help myself, it was so lonely without you here," Casdon teased as he spun around on the stool and leaned forward on the counter, arms crossed. "I did leave early, can't say I remember her name... Or ever got it." He shrugged as if it was nothing unusual, but then again, it really wasn't with him. "All that aside, you did miss another group of adventurers. You know how rowdy those kinds get when they come through Norwell. Can't shut them up and they act like they own the place." He shook his head. "Had to try my luck early before they got into the epic battles and many monsters they slew." He made a stern face and pretended to swing around a claymore, puffing out his chest in an attempt to portray the typical mercenary.

Eidie laughed, "Sounds about right." She began wiping down the counter, and sighed, "I imagine they over embelish the details to woo their audience. But... I don't know there's ... Oh look at me, musing like a bard. What can I get you this afternoon?"

Casdon thought for a moment, not that he really had much to think about, he always got the same thing. "A pint of ale to start." As she was pouring, he continued, "How much do you have to listen to me go on? I'm pretty sure it can't be easy late into the night. So let it be my turn to listen, what are you musing about?"

Being sure to not over fill the tankard, she debated answering that question. "You'll only laugh Cas." She set the tankard down in front of him and then filled a few more for patrons further down the bar. This was definitely a first, she was used to hearing travelers regail their adventures, very few ever wanted to hear what she had to say. Of course Casdon couldn't possibly understand her yearning for adventure, he liked his daily routine. Day in and day out the same thing over and over. The only real excitement she ever saw was when someone was stupid enough to try and rob the tavern.

Casdon went right to drinking the ale as Eidie went about her job, tending to the others in the bar. He watched her over the rim of the tankard, drinking half of it by the time she made her way back to where he was. "I won't laugh, I promise. It's not often someone hears the story of those on that side of the bar."

She sighed, "Well I don't expect you to understand, but my whole life I've only travelled as far as the next town over. I only took this job to escape from the ordinary through the tales of others. I'm tired of merely listening. There has to more to life then work, sleep, taxes, and death. Mother thinks I just need to find a husband. As though that would solve my problem."

Casdon snorted as he refrained a chuckle. Realizing that he had promised not to laugh, he held up a hand to prevent her from answering. "I know I said I wouldn't laugh, but marriage? Really? I don't see how people function with that, being free is too fun." He swallowed the last bit of his ale and slid the tankard towards Eidie for a refill. "Well... there is more to life, such as good food and company." He pointed towards her with a smile. "But by escaping the ordinary are you wanting to just travel or are you wanting the kind of excitement that those hooligans like to exaggerate about?"

She sighed dramatically, "I long for adventure Cas, if simple travel could satiate me, then I would have left already. My father teaches swordplay, I would be far from defenseless. All I need is a willing companion." Her face flashed irritation. "Most women are too skiddish to undertake such an adventure, and then men think I'll be a glorified camp follower, cooking and screwing them all in turn. And thus my reluctance to talk on the subject. Mother is positively horrified by the mere thought of me traveling, never mind searching for adventure. She was delighted when my brother joined the priesthood."

Casdon didn't know how to respond. He didn't have that same craving for adventure, unless it was in the bedroom, but even then, he didn't like straying too far from the ordinary. Thanks to being raised with the idea that ordinary was the best way to live life. He scratched his chin and furrowed his brows in thought. "It does sound like it is hard to find a companion." He crossed his arms and tapped the heel of his boot against the side of the barstool in thought. After a moment he let out a defeated sigh. "I really love having the same routine but if you find a willing companion and leave Norwell, I don't know who I am going to spend my time talking to. None of the other barmaids are interesting and this place just won't be the same... I'll go with you if you leave."

She arched an eyebrow with a grin, "Will you now? Give up all this normalcy for a life on the lamb just because you enjoy the melodious sound of my voice? I find that hard to believe Casdon."

He threw up his hands in a shrug. "I can't say I will be completely fine with it, but Norwell just wouldn't be the same. You leaving will end up messing up my routine anyways. I will have to go find a new barmaid's ear to chat off, maybe an entirely different Tavern which will make me have to walk all over the city just to find, that will cut into my drinking time, then there is the food to consider..." He started counting off his fingers of the numerous inconveniences that he will have to deal with if she left. "So why not go? I'm sure I have an old sword lying around from when my uncle was a part of the guard. He won't mind me taking it. Either way, both options have a lot of work tied to them and only one has the benefit of being around a friend."

Eidie laughed, "And here I thought you'd try to talk me out of it all together. Who knew you adored my cooking so much. The pros are beginning to out weigh the con's if you're being serious with me."

"Bar wench!" A customer called across the tavern.

"I'll bar wench you one," she growled before adopting a false smile, "Coming sirc, keep your shirt on! Be back in a moment Cas."

Casdon was going to answer back before he was cut off by someone's shout. He just chuckled at her response as she left. That is why he enjoyed going to the Tipped Chalice and talking to Eidie. Not many barmaids are able to balance being a normal person and the cheery wench that is often expected. Either that or they are always moody, at least the older ones usually are. Certainly there was a good number of pros in tagging along. He gets to be around a friend, learn more about her, not to mention the food and maybe, there is a small chance that their adventures may not be much more than walking around and travelling, finding out that whatever epic battle they heard about was really an over exaggeration of fighting off rats from the forest. At least he hoped that is all there is. He pulled out his coin purse and tried to count how much he had on him at the moment without pulling it out. He wondered if Eidie took any consideration over the costs it is for all the supplies needed and planning on where to go when there is time to resupply, on top of that, equipment, upkeep on weapons... or is he over thinking everything?

There was only one reason she put up with most of the vulgar patrons of the tavern, Tips. Those extra coins she saved, put away for a rainy day. Or the day she finally got fed up enough to leave. Boredom was was an interesting motivator. It took a lot to convince a responsible person to finally throw down their chains and run free. Cas was surprising her by not trying to talk her out of it. Or was he? Was his suggestion that he accompany her his way of convincing her to stay? Some weird version of reverse psychology? She took care of her patrons with this thought on her mind.

She resisted the urge to stab the hands of male patrons that groped her ass as she walked passed or leaned over to serve another guest. Well hidden blades kept the more enthusiastic patrons from discovering her britches but it didn't stop her from wanting to do them harm. Especially the ones who didn't tip. At least Casdon kept his hands to himself after the first time he bled from going to far. When she finally got back to the bar she took Casdon's tankard from him, "Another pint Cas?"

Casdon nodded in response, still engrossed in figuring out what he would do if she really decided to go through with everything and take up the offer for him to accompany her. He would rather stay there but if she made the decision to leave, he was going to have to suck it up and stick to his word. He may be a hedonist that loved drink and the comfort of women, but he knew enough about being a man of his word and when to back away from a pursuit gone wrong.

With a resigned sigh, he tossed his coin purse on the counter with a jingle as he took the refilled pint. "Eidie... Are you really serious about leaving? I mean... I've gotten to know you over these past years but I wouldn't have expected you to say something like that." He looked her in the eyes, trying to gauge how she feels about it before he had too much alcohol in his system to miss any signals. "Do you really want to leave Norwell behind that badly?"

She was quiet while she filled his tankard. Once it was filled she looked around the tavern, taking in the patrons. "Yes, I'm sure. What is there here for me? Honestly, Cas, I feel like I'm just going through the motions most of the time. And aparently you're the only one who cares to listen to me gripe about my boringly stable life. It's not as though I'm never going to come back, unless I get eaten of course." She shrugged off her comment and started wiping the counter down again. "Am I really that good at hiding my discontentment?"

Feeling that Casdon got the answer he needed, although it wasn't quite the one he wanted, he sighed into his drink. "You are good at hiding it, but then again, I haven't been looking. Besides," he held up the tankard, "the drink certainly doesn't help one remain very perceptive." He laughed half heartedly before drinking it all down. He really wanted to stay but if his friend really wanted to leave and try to have a better life, who was he to stop her? Besides, by her own words, she would have left by now if she had a companion. It seems that he may be the only one that will be able to give her that opportunity.

He slammed the tankard down and burped into his hand. "Alright... Get me something a little stronger. I am going to need the courage to go pack."

Casdon thought for a moment. He on impulse has agreed to go with a friend outside the comfortable and safe life behind the city walls for a life he didn't know what would happen to him. He could very well be robbed, injured, or worse... killed. All for the sake of a friend that he made because she kept his tankard full of ale and a chance that it may not be as bad as the stories told by drunken adventurers. "Whiskey."

Eidie pulled the bottle out from beneath the bar and had poured half a portion before she stopped and looked over at him as though she only just realized he might be actually sincere. "Good lord, you're being serious right now aren't you?"

Casdon nodded grimly. "I am, Eidie. Isn't this what friends do? Help each other out when they need it? Well... it seems like you want adventure as much as I want to keep the same company." He offered her a smile before holding out his hand for the whiskey.

Back
Top Bottom