Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The St. Anne - Tramp Steamer in Space! [RECRUITING CLOSED]

AnnaBeth

Supernova
RECRUITING CLOSED

UPDATE: Character Thread Here

The St. Anne, a Dogged class medium freighter manufactured in the thousands during the last galactic conflict some fifty years ago, is currently seeking a crew.

Low wages, hard work, bad food, and the ever present threat of breaking down mid voyage await!

This will be a player driven, sandbox style story set in an universe where humans have colonized their galaxy and have found out that while alien life exists, none of it is more than barely sentient and humans are the only species that uses tools to any substantial degree. No alien races allowed. Technology is advanced enough to allow FTL travel but it's not the bright, shiny technologically rich paradise of some science fiction. Think seedier, think grimmer, along the lines of Firefly or Battlestar Galactica or any number of wonderful novels.

If you have a character idea that is conducive to promoting group writing and storytelling, let's hear some interest. :)

Gender and orientation are as players choose. We're not looking for any ratios or balance, just characters.

Potential Positions are listed below but if something is not listed here please feel free to propose it.

Master and Captain: AnnaBeth Belle
First Mate: Kosmik Khaos
Engineer / Grease Monkey: gangbanggirl (under development)
Cook: megyn (under development)
Doctor or Medic: Sigr
Able Hand: Benny Q
Able Hand: nothingbutspacejunk (under development)
Able Hand: Carlyssir (under development)

If the concept gains enough interest then a character template will be posted and submissions PMed to AnnaBeth and Kosmik for consideration.

RE: The St. Anne - Tramp Steamer in Space!

The grim science fiction thing piqued my interest, so I started to think about something.

I think I'm inclined to play a doctor, someone that was pushed as a military physician while young. Having to deal with shortage of supplies and a variety of conditions, they had to get creative and improvise, showing talent for getting the best of the situation with unorthodox means. Of course, once the service was over and returned to civilization, not only the horrors chased them, but also the ruthless methods and no holds barred approach to medicine. Now, they are on the run after killing the heir of a powerful person, choosing to face the dangers of space instead of the ire of the wealthy. Every night they think that their patient would have died either way, even if it wasn't for their unorthodox practice but... how to be sure of it?

So I'm thinking of a twenty something medical prodigy being a bit broken over a war, adaptive to the situations but also lacking a more fine education. They are aboard The St. Anne to flee not only from the immediate threat of their medical blunder, but also of the horrors of the past. Gender and orientation open, not settled at all.

Love! Heart emoji heart emoji sparkle emoji happy face emoji!

One thing I'd like you to consider is how much of the secret of the killing of the heir is known and will you be able to work that in as plot to help move the story along? I'm pretty sure you can. You're so creative!

Gender and orientation are as players choose. I'm not looking for any ratios or balance, just characters. I'll add that to the first post. :)

Probably not at all at first, as time goes by and the chase for retribution catches up there will be explanations to give and details to spare. It's part the reason for self-doubt, part a convenient way to get goons for hire thrown at for no apparent reason. I'm glad you liked the concept.

The more I think of the character, the more I see them as a short, stacked woman, someone that could look motherly if it wasn't for her no bullshit approach and a sandpaper-like personality. There is something about the body language of such a compact force of nature that I like for the concept.

What a perfect personality for a medic or doctor, especially one who knows the horrors of war. They will be a great and valued and often argued with personality. :)

I'd be interested in a story like this, as a simple crew member, able hand and part time mercenary for hire, if y'all would have me.

I am super happy you're interested, Benny! I have always liked your writing. :)

There's a lot of leeway for what all you want to have your character capable of and if you want to be an able hand then that's great! Y'all are the ones who keep the ship running. Before too much longer we'll discuss character sheets and what all we (all of us) want to see on them to keep the game running smoothly.

Thank you for your acceptance and kind words about my writing.

I'm still musing over a character concept but I very much like the idea. Almost had something similar over on Elliquiy but it didn't follow through. I'm considering playing a person running from debt from an over-exploited frontier world, having lost everything and chosen to run instead. Does the odd jobs around the ship, menial labour, muscle, and so forth. I could play the Engineer/Grease Monkey role if no one else is desirous of that role.

Taking any role is entirely up to the player. I want people to play what they want that also fits into the needs of the ship. If we don't have a mechanic, maybe that's the first bit of story trying to find one or make do with repairs to limp into a port world. Or we can NPC it. The roles being filled isn't as crucial as having people play characters they enjoy with rich plot elements to add to the overall story.

And I can already tell you that you won't be the first character on the run from something or someone. It's going to be fun trying to figure out who is after us at any time and why. :)

Probably going to a few "Were they here for me or you?" type questions and looks going around after those incidents haha. But yes, I will stick with just an Able Hands role for now. Someone just trying to hide in the sheer veil of mediocrity for now, until exposed.

So let's discuss character sheets. I don't want them to be so detailed they are stories in and of themselves, but they should be handy references for other authors to use to write alongside your character. What should we include?

Name:
Portrait: (if desired)
Brief Description: (including height, weight, apparent age)
Usual Gear: (including weapons)
Sexual Orientation:
Ons/Offs: (F-List Link, page link, brief list, whatever works)
Morning Watch Location:
Mid-Watch Location:
Evening Watch Location:
Known Background:
Unknown Background:

That much should be probably fine. Perhaps a section for "usually found in morning/afternoon/evening" to give an idea of where/doing what the characters tend to be?

Weapons? Previous Occupation? Orientation? Traits/Flaws?

Brief Description I assume is the physical description? You can probably stick Height/Weight in that. Just some thoughts.

Sigr said:
That much should be probably fine. Perhaps a section for "usually found in morning/afternoon/evening" to give an idea of where/doing what the characters tend to be?

That's clever, especially as we move into watches aboard ship. Thank you!

BennyQ said:
Weapons? Previous Occupation? Orientation? Traits/Flaws?

Brief Description I assume is the physical description? You can probably stick Height/Weight in that. Just some thoughts.

Those are good suggestions too, and we should probably include a link to either your F-List or your Ons/Offs so that we can be respectful of each other.

Let's talk about face claims and portraits? Thoughts?

I like those ideas for sure. More than strictly weapons, I would word it as "usual gear", mostly about the kind of thing that rounds up the description of the character like "there was [character] with his bulky frame, lumbering around the ship as usual, his trusty and battered rifle on the back" kind of thing.

About the portraits: I don't normally use one in BMR but I'm more than accustomed to use them in other places and I always get one if my partner wants it, so I'll go with what you decide.

Those are all good ideas and I think they could and should be implemented into the character profile. Give a little more structure to the characters before we fully flesh them out in the story.

I like the "Usual Gear" over weapons idea a lot.

I don't mind pictures or descriptions. I can do either/or. I can probably formulate a basic character outline by tonight, though it'll probably be more fleshed out in the following days as ideas are discussed and bounced around.

Since there's no strong opinion either way, and we're all capable of description, I'll leave a portrait up to each individual player to use or not use.

To keep the momentum going, I'm going to open the Character Thread and will post the template there. If a portion of it just doesn't work for you, omit it or modify it! It's a reference, not prescriptive, and meant to help the game out.

Character posted, doctor on board!

So excited! Thank you for creating the character. :)

"...would have been a welcome return to normalcy if it wasn't that she didn't feel normal anymore."

Oh my gosh I love that!

I'm glad you liked it! I'm excited to see the rest of the cast, I'm sure it will be a handful, as it couldn't be otherwise with such a captain... :p

Please. Iona's laid back except where emergency drills come into play. Then you better not mess around.

This looks like a fun idea. I'll start working on a Grease Monkey if there is room :)

There is! Thank you for wanting to apply!

Back
Top Bottom