Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Of Vice & Virtue Act I: Blurred Lines (Skeith & MessedUpRP)

It was almost enough to make Knight-Owl laugh. "Of course, they want me dead. They've been trying to kill me for years. You were just the gun that was supposed to end me. I was the only target until you spared Vera Romanov." Knight-Owl said softly. "By turning away from that life, you put yourself in the cross heirs." She muttered a curse under her breath, still surprised she was even considering this. "We're in this together now, for better or worse. Best that we get used to that idea."

"So, are we all friends now?" A third younger voice disrupted the conversation. The blindfolded young Anya in a simple nightgown entered the room. She lifted the blindfold, looking up at Tarot. "I knew you looked familiar."

Tarot was calmly silent as the girl entered. Albina inside of the mask was having a minor panic attack. She knew this girl, this was the girl that Vere Romanov had with her. Vers Romanov... The woman who's sister mysteriously died of causes undisclosed. Who's death was announced the morning after knight-hawk's death was confirmed. It was so obvious, how had she missed it? Knight-Owl hadn't been hired by Vera Romanov to kill her."

Tarot staggered back, resting against the medical bed. "I've been blind to what's right in front of me... Here I was, thinking you were sent after me by Vera Romanov. Hell. I even tried to get close to her to clear my name... But it' been you all along Vera. You didn't hire Knight-Owl to kill me. You've been Knight-Owl all along."

She looked down at Anya, "I guess I might as well take this off. I suppose you'll tell her who I am either way." Tarot slowly removed her helmet. Throwing her hair back and looking at Knight-Owl. "I'm sorry about what happened to your sister Vera... I really am, but her killer is still out there. Unless we work together, she'lo never be avenged." Albina held out her hand. "Partners?"

Knight-Owl was about to reprimand Anya when Tarot spoke. She turned to face her as she began piecing it together. She waited quietly for her to finish. As she took off her helmet to reveal herself, Knight-Owl was shocked to say the least. She stared at her for a few seconds. "I suppose I should have seen the signs." She reached up, unbuckling her mask. The glowing lenses died down as she began to remove it. As it came free, she held it beneath her arm. She felt vulnerable in full Knight-Owl regalia without her mask.

Vera looked down at Albina's hand, her eyes momentarily looking to Anya before settling her eyes on Albina again. She reached forward, accepting her hand in her own. "Partners." She looked down at Anya with a faint smirk. "Satisfied?" She asked the young teen, who nodded enthusiastically. "If we're working together, then it's best you get to know my lair. It has all the resources you could possibly need and then some. We're safely hidden here. None will find us here. I've made sure of it."

"I can hear them..." Anya said quietly, cupping her eyes.

"Blindfold, Anya. And earbuds. You know why they're important." Vera instructed. The young girl quickly complied.

She looked back to Albina. "Best you get dressed again. We have much to discuss."

Albina dressed herself, all be it fairly slowly since she still had some cramping. By soon, she too was in all but her helmet. She looked at Anya again before turning to Vera. "What's her ability? How was she able to recognize me?" She had a hunch that Anya had some sort of heightened senses that let er see and hear through solid matter, but she wasn't sure.

As she turned her attention to the lair, she was thoroughly impressed. "Wow... Beats the hell out of my apartment." She chuckled softly and glanced down at Anya again. "Vera... If we go out again, I'm not sure if we can bring Anya again."

"I'm sure you're very capable Anya." Albina said before the girl could respond, "but we don't even know who this is, or even if it is just one. This could be too dangerous for someone who hasn't been trained yet. Whoever this is obviously doesn't care about who or what you are, They're a stone cold killer, before we get Anya involved we should gather more information."

She took a pause and let it sink in before raising her hand to put it on Vera's shoulder, hovering it a few inches over her shoulder before dropping it back to her side. "One of the first things I learned. Don't give your enemies anything to hold over you. If something happens and Anya is captured, she's a lure. That's why the day after I defected. I sent my grandmother to Switzerland."

Vera looked at Anya when Albina asked her question. She began answering as she led her out of the infirmary. "The exact scope of her abilities is hard to pin down, with her being so young. She's a level 4 after all." She paused for only a moment to think on it. "She had escaped an asylum before she was tracked down. Her senses are far stronger than most, beyond that she can create constructs from her imagination. The problem is that she was in that asylum for a reason." She turned to face Albina then. "She's schizophrenic." She placed a comforting hand on Anya's shoulder. "If the hallucinations effect her, her subconscious will give life to those thoughts as constructs. So we use music and a blindfold to blind and block out the sounds."

Anya was indeed about to disagree, looking clearly hurt by her insisting that she shouldn't come with them. She looked to Vera like she was expecting her to come to her aid, but she didn't. The young girl began to tear up, damping her blind fold. "I thought we were a team. Partners! Why can't I help?"

"Anya..." She leaned down beside her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "You aren't ready for this. I just lost my sister, if these people took you too, it would break me completely." She sighed softly, glancing up at Albina, nodding at her advice. She closed her eyes in silent thought. "In time, you will be trained. You'll gain control over your gifts and in time, I will train you to defend yourselves like I did with my sister." She gave her a reassuring smile as she brushed some tears away with her thumb. "You will still be helping. You'll maintain communications and operational awareness from here, using the computer. We'll be counting on you while in the field, okay?"

Anya still looked dejected and upset, but nodded slowly, realizing she was outvoted.

Albina knelt down with a grimace of pain and gently put a hand on Anya's shoulder. "You are part of the team Anya... We need you to keep us updated. Without you, we'll be going in blind. Vera wants you to come out with us, she really does. But you need to have training first. We're keeping you here for a little bit because she cares about you."

Albina lowered her voice so that only Anya, with her enhanced hearing could hear what she said. "She doesn't want the same thing that happened to the last person who put on that suit." She brushed Anya's hair from her face gently. "You'll come out soon enough. I'm sure you'll blow through your training."

Anya looked back over at Vera when Albina referenced what happened to Dina. She lowered her head, sniffling softly before nodding. "Okay... I'll stay here then." She certainly felt like she was being patronized and didn't appreciate it, but she wouldn't argue either.

Vera crossed her arms as she glanced to Albina. "It'll be a bit before you're field worthy again. You need to properly recover from that blast. While Anya is inexperienced and a possible target, you are severely injured. That would slow us down." She walked back towards her computer, accessing it and motioning for Anya to sit. "Now Anya. Running operations is going to be tricky for you at first. If you start thinking that you're hallucinating you need to take a break and put the earbuds in and wear the blindfold. We can't have another incident like last night."

"I understand. I'll be careful." Anya said with a small nod, taking the seat at the computer. Vera began showing Anya exactly how to do the job.

"Albina, perhaps you should try to get some rest. After tonight, you need to recover." Vera suggested, glancing back towards her.

Albina.hesitantly moved back towards her medical bed which she had awoken on. "Don't strain yourself Anya... If you need to stop just do it. How about we start training tomorrow. Just basic motions and maybe some.light sparring since I'm recovering. It will help you to get out with I'm the field faster." She winked at Anya before painfully laying down.

Albina had a restless sleep, dreams plagued by the shadowy figure, creeping just behind her at all times. Only dissapearing when she would look back. She was chasing someone. The blurry figure of a redhead. The one she had never seen but Gera had told her about. As she got closer, so did the saboteur. Ready to stab her in the back at any moment. To get rid of the defective asset.

At some point in the night, Vera had carried Albina to one of the guest rooms in the manor, laying her there to sleep. Anya was guided to her room. Vera was awake for most of the night, sifting through all the information she had gathered on their opposition. It was a painfully small amount to build a case on. As morning came, the automated servants prepared breakfast. Vera sat at the table waiting for the others, after sending Anya to find Albina.

Anya wandered about, humming the music from her earbuds as she looked about for Albina's room. Finally finding it, she pulled the earbuds from her ears, walking into the room without hesitation. "Ms. Albina?" She asked, looking around the room. She walked over to the bed, gently placing a hand on her shoulder. "Ms. Albina. Breakfast is ready." She whispered softly, a faint smile marking her face.

Albina sat up groggily, looking around and wincing. "God... Those painkillers must have so me weird side effects." She sighed and rubbed the heel of her palms against her eyes, "What are you so smiley about Anya?" She chuckled and stood up on shaky feet. Slowly dressing herself in the sane clothes she had yesterday. "I figure maybe today we'll start training, you and I... Get you field ready."

Albina had reattached her blindfold when Albina started dressing, even going so far as to turn away. She lowered her gaze, her hands clasping one another behind her back. "I'm happy because I'm here. First there was Vera and now there's you, Ms. Albina. I'm excited about training so I can help more, but it's more than that." She glanced back towards her, raising the blindfold again. "It's almost like having a family again."

The small teen reached out for Albina's hand, guiding her towards the door. "Now, come on. Breakfast is ready, Vera's already in the dining room."

Albina stalled for a second. "Yeah... Yeah I guess we kind of are." She hobbled along with Anya, resting one hand in hers and the other on her shoulder. "I think you'll do well in your training, you have a good build for fighting. You'll do well." As she stumbled into the dining room, she looked around. It was different to be eating with other people.

Vera stood up when the others entered, it was strange and unnerving to be eating with the woman who just hours ago she blamed for her sister's death. She smiled at Anya and Albina as they approached the table. "It's not much, but it's healthy. I'm not used to preparing food for so many, or hosting others really." She sat back down, settling into her own breakfast. "I have a bit of a busy day ahead of me. Things to take care of at the office and an potential investor that I need to meet with tonight."

She looked over at Anya. "That should give you plenty of time to familiarize yourself with your duties for the time being, do your exercises, and start your training."

"Tonight, we'll be able to formulate the next stage in this investigation. On a related note, you're welcome to stay as long as you need to, Albina. It's safer here than in town." She looked back at her plate, properly beginning her beakfast.

Albina nodded softly, glancing down at Anya again. She had adjusted white easily to getting used to the young girl's unique powers. It was still a bit unnerving at times, but not as bad as she had thought it would be."I'm sure Anya will be great at her training." She smiled again and slowly began eating her breakfast. Contemplating the offer, "I'll think about it."

Vera nodded as Albina finished speaking. She looked over at Anya who was nearly squirming with excitement over beginning her training today. She knew it would be hard work. But there were hundreds of other metas like her that needed help. Maybe she could help make a difference in some way.

Vera continued eating in silence for the remainder of the breakfast. She spent most of it thinking on the red haired woman and the attack the night before. Whoever was after her was meticulous and determined.

As she finished eating, she pushed herself up, flattening out her suit. "If you both will excuse me, I must be off. Anya, do as Albina asks while I'm gonna and pay careful attention to what she has to teach you."

"Yes, ma'am~!" She nearly sang, looking towards Albina with a grin.

Vera left the kitchen then, departing for Romanov industries.

Albina watched Vera walk out of the room and cpuodn't help but notoce how attractive she was. She shook this aside and looked at Anya. "So... We're finally starting, first rule is that you need to understand that there are boundaries while we practice."

She took a sip of her coffee and continued, "I won't hit you as hard as I possibly can and neither will you. Hit about seventy percent. Also, if were sparring do not use live weaponry. That means any ammunition that's not a blank is off the table and any blade has to be dull. I don't want any accidentally injuries, but he aware Anya that in an actual fight there are no limits, no rules."

She stood up and looked at Anya again, "when you're out there you use any dirty trick you can in order to come back home safe." She squeezed Anya on the shoulder and smiled, "but I'm certain that by the time you're out in the field you'll be great. So don't think that this is all doom and gloom."

Anya's expression was quite serious as Albina established the ground rules for their training. At her hand on her shoulder she smiled excitedly. "Then let's get started! I can't wait to be able to help!" She hopped up from her seat, clearly excited about getting started as soon as possible. Fortunately, with Albina training her in combat, Vera teaching her investigative skills, and the tutors at Romanov Industries teaching her to control her powers, she surely had terrific potential.

Vera walked into her office, smiling to her receptionist. "Your appointment is already here." Vera nodded appreciatively.

As she entered she was greeted by the sight of a red haired woman with a couple men in suits. She narrowed her eyes in suspicion before approaching her desk. Could it be the same woman? "Good morning, I'm Vera Romanov. I suppose we should get started." She took her seat, waiting for the others to join her. It would be a long and stressful meeting for Vera, only leading into more scheduled meetings for the rest of her day.

Albina dropped into a fighting stance and moved slowly with Anya, "keep focus on your opponent, your eyes shouod be on them but your other senses should be absorbing from all around you to avoid outside attacks."

She ran toward Anya and drew a blunted plastic training knife, holding it to Anya's neck. "You're dead. Your enemy will not fight fair Anya, you shouldn't either." She put a hand on the girl's shoulder. "Don't be discoursges because you died the first spar... My teacher would knock me to the ground each time I failed, by the time I won I had bruises darker than the night sky. You'll learn with time."

Meanwhile, the redhead woman smiled and offered a hand to Vera, "good evening Miss Romanov, how are you? I came here to discuss a donation to your organization... I'm sorry about these two guards... Just a precaution, you know. I'm so sorry about your sister. She was a wonderful woman, the service was beautiful and I think she would be so happy to see where this organization is going."

Anya groaned in dissatisfaction when she was so easily defeated, even if she should have seen it coming. She had zero combat experience and was going up against an experienced assassin. She stood up straight, nodding with a mumble of agreement when Albina tried to motivate her. She drew in a deep breath, pulling up her blindfold so she could see her clearly. Her glowing eyes focusing on Albina as she mirrored her combat stance with the sparring knife.

The ability to focus on her with her eyes allowed her to use her heightened senses but also invited greater risk from her mental illness and lack of training with her powers. She was young and inexperienced, but was still a level 4 meta human.

"I'm doing well enough, all things considered. Dina's loss weighs on me heavily." Vera smiled faintly, accepting the woman's hand with a firm shake. "So, you were present at her service? I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you there. It was a trying day for me as you might imagine. We all feel her loss, but we're doing our best to keep moving forward in her honor. I appreciate your potential donation." Her eyes shifted to the guards momentarily. She wasn't intimidated by them even remotely. Armor or no armor, she had her extensive training if it became necessary. It was the red haired woman, the wild card, that she worried about.

Albina was a bit nervous regarding the massive power that Anya held, but she didn't show it. Instead, she began stood up straight and held up a hand to stop Anya when she began to do the same. "Hold your stance... I want to make a few corrections."

She walked over to Anya and looked her over a few times. "Your stance is very good, especially for a first time. You learn quickly it seems, just remember to keep your knife hand a bit lower, about level with the sternum. Your off hand should be held closer to the head, defend it in case you need to block."

She nodded as Anya made the adjustments and stood beside her. "Now fighting is not as elegant as some would have it believe. Much of what we see is choreographed fighting. A real fight can be much less fluid and much quicker. Just take things slowly and work through them."

The red headed woman smiled empathetically. "Yes I was present, it was a lovely service. I wanted to meet you then, but I figured it would be a bad time to introduce myself. Given the circumstances." She smiled genuinely again at the mention of her donation. "Yes, I think now is a good time to donate. I want to show my support to your cause what with all this open anti-meta propaganda going around."

Anya nodded as Albina helped her correct her stance. "Right, I think I understand." She brought her off hand up defensively, holding the knife as she was shown. She did nothing to adjust her foot placement. Albina's lack of advice regarding it told her that her footwork was likely fine. As she described how most battles played out she nodded again. "Miss Vera said something like that too." She looked over at Albina, a little unsure of herself. Soon after she winced lightly, cradling her head. "M-miss Albina, I can... I can hear them again." She should have known it would happen while training. She fell to her knees, letting the knife fall away. "I-I need my h-headphones. I don't want to hurt you." She warned quickly.

She let out a painful cry as her head began to throb. The air around her seemed to distort, giving actual volume to the pain inducing and unintelligible voices that she was hearing.

Vera gave a sad smile as the woman spoke. "I appreciate your willingness to help. Such visible sympathy for the meta-human community is a safety concern for many these days." She turned in her chair to look out the window for a moment. Out at the frozen city. "It's very kind of you to come and do this in person. Many would have done so privately or anonymously. I know that my sister would have appreciated it as well."

Albina smiled at Anya and patted her shoulder. "You'll get it soon. It took me awhile to master and likely took Vera awhile as well. When the girl winced, her smile fell. Ss soon as Anya mentioned the voices, Albina dashed to find the headphones.

She rushed to collect them and ran back to the young woman, putting them over her ears ans pulling Anya into a hug. "Calm down Anya. You're okay now... You'rs safe."

The redhead smiled again at Vera. "Of course. I'm happy to make my stance clear, especially in these trying times. Now... Maybe you and I could meet some time later to discuss the ammount and payment. Possibly over dinner?"

Anya's painful screaming had turned to sobbing as Albina returned, placing the headphones over her ears. She carefully pulled her blindfold down over her eyes, the fabric quickly growing damp with her tears. As she was pulled close to Albina, she leaned against her, waiting for the pain to go away. It had been a couple days since her last episode. She should have expected it would happen again soon. Lucky that they managed to catch it before Anya accidentally hurt Albina.

Vera turned back to face the woman, giving her a faint smile. "Dinner sounds lovely. I'll make the necessary arrangements. Where should I meet you?" She knew there was a chance she was being lured into a trap, but she couldn't pass on a possible lead, either.

Albina didn't let go of Anya. She kept clutching her close, holding her to herself. When they finally pulled away, she held Anya's shoulders. "You did well, in training. And your're safe now, that's what matters." She put a hand on Anya's cheek, and wiped a tear that had escaped from under her blindfold. "You'll learn how to control your powers. Vera will help."

In Vera's office, the redhead woman shook her head, "oh I don't mind. You choose the place and I'll meet you there. I can give you my business card if you need to get in contact with me."

Vera stood up from her seat, nodding with a pleasant smile. "Sounds lovely. There's a lovely restaurant just around the corner, called 'The Red Star' - It was Dina's favorite. I think that would be a perfect place to discuss a donation to the foundation in her name. I have a few other meetings I have to attend to before we can meet for dinner. Perhaps I can meet you there around six? I'll have my secretary make the necessary reservations for us." She reached forward to shake the woman's hand again. "Thank you so much for coming to see me today. I'll see you tonight."

Once alone again, Vera pulled out her cell phone, glancing out the window towards the part of the city where her manor was.

Anya could only nod at first as Albina spoke. She opened her mouth to speak when a ringing sound came from the computer. A message flashing on the screen reading 'Incoming Call from Vera Romanov.'

Back
Top Bottom