Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

At her side. (greenteapot)

Scarlett couldn’t help a light blush dusting her pale cheeks as the young noble asked her for a dance. He was handsome -- maybe not as handsome as Theo -- but he was charming and Scarlett was really overwhelmed with the events of the day. But, he wasn’t the one she wanted to dance with. The one she desired stood a few feet away and had pleaded her to stop asking for his hand in dance not too long ago. It seemed as if she wouldn’t take the noble’s offer but it was with Scarlett’s empathy for the other’s pain from rejection that she took the noble’s hand after a long moment.

“Of course. I feel I should award such boldness lest we are all sitting ducks.” She could see the relief flood the other’s face and she gave him a soft smile. Why not? Why shouldn’t she have fun of Theo was just going to brood in the corner? The young man placed his hand on her hip while he other held her hand high and she giggled as she placed her free hand on the noble’s shoulder. Not as wide as Theo’s shoulders but maybe in time, the man will grow to be as big as her knight was.

The music carried them and they danced together fluidly like a match made in heaven. Her father was very proud and in the distance, even Gloria had a tear in her eye. After weeks of fighting and arguing, Scarlett was finally doing what everyone wanted. She had to admit that she was having a lot of fun dancing and the man was also funny and charming. “I’m sorry, I must have missed your name?”

The Knight even had a smile on his face as he watched the Princess dance around the room, truly a vision of what it was to be a princess in this moment. Theo took up his vigil again, keeping as close a watch on the room as he possibly could while the young Noble entertained Princess Scarlett. "My apologies, I don't get much opportunity to speak for myself." The noble chuckled playfully, "My name is Prince Fredrick Tyrno, second son of King Theodore Tyrno. My sister and my mother are also in attendance, you spoke with them during dinner, actually." He gave subtle gestures to each one, an older woman wearing mostly reds and golds, and younger woman, blond hair with green eyes, who was casually flirting with another noble. He was very graceful for someone of his size, he was certainly well practiced. "I need not ask your name, of course, this is your party." He gave a small chuckle at that. "You look lovely, by the way."

Theo in the meantime was watching anyone and everyone that stuck out to him as those out of place, with Ardym at the top of that list, he had his guards had managed to subtly divert two people from getting closer to a noble that what was proper, a easy sign for a scene to spark up. It was quiet tonight, otherwise, and the Knight found most of his free time enjoying the music.

Scarlett laughed. “Ah, I… know that feeling all too well.” Hm. This was going better than she expected. It was nice to talk to someone that knew of some of her grievances. Maybe she had pushed away too many chances of making friends. She certainly wouldn’t mind keeping in touch to have someone share her woes with. When he finally introduced himself, Scarlett blushed in embarrassment. “I’m sorry. I should have known.” She was doing so well tonight, too, yet she failed to remember her suitor’s names. “Your mother and sister… they are very lovely people.”

Another giggled and she smiled brightly up at the noble. “Although a bit too eager about the whole marriage, I suppose. It’s … strange to be thinking of such things. For me.. At least.” She hoped that Fredrick shared her same worries as well. If he did, maybe they could escape and pretend to have fallen for each other. An alibi to keep away all unwanted advances. It was risky -- seeing as he was a suitor-- but if it didn’t work, she’ll just try until she found the right man. Someone who had a secret lover and knew how hard it was to put on a facade.

Fredrick chuckled at her. "You couldn't have, my mother is quite self absorbed, and my sister is a gossip on a fair day. I would be more surprised if you knew my name. But I thank you all the same." He led her into another dance as a different song started, his steps almost seamless. At the mention of her hesitation to marriage he smiled a little brighter. "I'm glad you feel that way, if I'm being honest, my mother all but pushed to the foot of the stair as you were coming down, insistent that I make a good and the first impression. I know she means well but I worry she may be too focused on my own station than my-" He stopped short and shook his head. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be burdening you with my dilemmas during your day."

All the same, the young prince seemed to enjoy himself quite a bit, sharing his company with the Princess and sharing little stories of his homeland and the servants and the events they have throughout the year. One in particular he called the Grey Hunt, where their greatest hunter started the hunting season by bringing back rare game for the starting festivities, the Hunt itself had been known to last for weeks, the decorations cared for and everything carefully preserved until the hunter returned.

Scarlett laughed softly and appreciated how honest Fredrick could be. It was charmingly uncharacteristic of a noble since they were always raised to never speak ill of their family. Every word he said was true, thought, and she found it quite amusing. “Oh, they’re not so bad.” A white lie and Scarlett vaguely heard the second song begin. Fredrick held tight onto her though and so she remained, a soft smile on her lips. Maybe one more dance wouldn’t do too much harm, right?

“No, please… I don’t want you to reserve yourself on my account. I would love to hear what you have to say.” She paused and then realized she may have been a bit too rude. “That is… if you are willing to share.” Really, her casual relationship with Theo was spilling over to her interactions with other kingdoms now. As Fredrick shared stories of his homeland, Scarlett quite enjoyed the tales from far away kingdoms and listened attentively, laughing and speaking when appropriate.

Scarlett didn’t know how long they danced for but she gently let go of Fredrick’s hand as a number ended and she smiled softly at him. “Thank you for your company, Fredrick. It was quite enjoyable.” She turned to look for Theo then before turning back to the young noble. “I hope to see you again but I’m afraid we will have to part for now.” Curtsying to the noble, she left him on the ballroom floor and walked out to the balcony to get fresh air.

The nobleman smiled brightly at the princess, such a kind young woman she was, he withheld his words, though, claiming it really was something he shouldn't say so openly. All the same he remained with her until the end of the song, when she wished to depart, he didn't resist and gave her a long bow as she headed for the balcony, the nobleman looking to refresh himself with a drink.

Out on the balcony, the quiet air greeted her, a cool evening breeze kissing her skin, the pinpricks of light of the town below nearly matching the stars above. Her silence didn't last long as she heard the familiar clank of armor behind her, though it didn't come very close, waiting by the door. "Enjoying yourself, milady?" Theo's voice called from behind her, a smile on his lips. She seemed to enjoy her dance with Fredrick, she had what he thought to be a genuine smile on her face as she had his company, and the one short laugh he did see didn't seem like the polite kind.

The voice that called from behind her startled her but the familiar tone brought a smile to her lips. Turning around from leaning on the stone railing of the balcony, she brightly smiled at Theo and nodded her head. "Yes. I am." She blushed lightly then, embarrassed at how much she did actually enjoy her time despite the weeks of struggling against the very idea of it. "Fredrick was very kind and also quite charming.

"Come join me." Scarlett motioned to her side and then turned to look out at the gardens again, trying to bury the events that had happened there not too long ago. "Although I must admit my enjoyment, I do not wish to be married." She paused for a moment and then sighed. "Do they expect marriage if I am kind to them?" She had fun dancing and talking but she simply wanted to keep it at just that. Nothing more.

For once the knight decided to give in to her request, moving to stand beside her and look out over the gardens. "He has a good reputation from what I understand, though I understood him to be a little more shy than what he showed this evening." He gave the princess a playful smile as he listened to her woes. "I'm the wrong person to ask, I've never been married." He chuckled at her softly before answering her seriously. "I believe marriage will be expected of you regardless if you are kind or cruel. By your people, by your father, by the many nobles that come to see who you have become and if you would be a proper lady for whatever son steps forward and asks for your hand. You too must be just as wary, milady, judge a man wrong and you may regret a hasty decision. Think of your own position as well, this is less about love and more about politics, not that you can't love the man you choose as well, but know that your choice cannot be changed once you make it." He smiled kindly at her once again. "You're very clever, Scarlett. I have no doubt you'll choose someone wonderful."

It was horrible but Scarlett was happy when Theo casually mentioned how he had never married. Of course she wanted him to be happy and to live a long and fulfilling life but she wanted that life to be with her. She still yearned to be with the knight despite how painful his rejections were. Did that make her just another spoiled princess? Maybe she wasn’t so different from the other marriage-crazed princesses after all.

A soft blush colored her cheeks as her name spilled from Theo’s lips and she turned to gaze up at him. She knew well that her marriage would be more political than for romance but was it wrong for her to fight that expectation of her? If she could marry for love, she would marry Theo. If Theo would put away their status and accept her for who she was, she would run away with him.

“Thank you, Theo but sometimes I wish I wasn’t born a princess at all.” She carefully chose her words. “If I were a simple maid, I wonder if marriage with someone I loved would be as hard as it is for me now.” She made sure not to mention the small tension between them regarding the emotional matter but she wanted to know if Theo would have married her if not for her status. Would he even have looked at her if she were not royalty?

Theo turned to look at her as she spoke her last, he also wished that, that she had been just another maid in the tavern that he would take to his bed, even if only for a night. "I fear if that were the case, milady, you would find love is much to come by. Down there, as a lowborn, people are taken advantage of by the spoiled among the rich. Daughters pulled away to keep soldiers and upstart knights company in the night, the wrong noble in the right place and every attractive girl gets shipped off to his castle be servants. Someone such as you, milady would be miserable down there." He caught her eyes. "If you were down there... I would probably never have met you, or gotten the privilege to stand by your side for as long as I have, Scarlett. I may not get what I desire in this life, but for me, this is enough."

Scarlett searched Theo’s eyes and held his gaze as they confessed their love for one another in thinly veiled sentences. A sad smile spread across Scarlett’s lips and she laughed softly. What star crossed lovers they had turned out to be. It was quite cliche. She knew what Theo said was true. No matter what happened they could never really be together even as she pushed the limits. Emerald eyes broke away from Theo’s gaze and she looked out into the vast kingdom. “Is it selfish of me to think that isn’t enough for me? To want more?”

Theo couldn't help but chuckle at her. "Not at all, things like that make you human, makes you..." He stopped short, looking to the party for a moment before approaching closer, a hand coming to Scarlett's shoulder to get her attention. Once she had turned around to look at him, the Knight could only say one more thing. "Please forgive me, Scarlett." With those words passed his lips, he brought his arms around her waist and pulled her into a kiss. Strong arms working with blade and armor for years were firm with muscle under the cold chain, the slight scruff of a five o' clock shadow against her chin as fingers dig into her lower back, not wanting to let her go, to keep her in place for eternity.

Scarlett listened to the soothing tone of Theo’s voice but as she gazed out at the stars, her eyes seemed a bit distant. When he drifted off, she thought he was upset with her for not properly listening and turned to meet the knight’s hand on her shoulder. When had he gotten so close? It was odd for him to be standing mere inches from her and her eyes flickered up to meet Theo’s strange gaze. “Yes?” Questioningly searching the other’s, she could tell something was different. Off.

She barely had time to react as lips met her’s and immediately the whole world faded. All she could hear was her heart beating loudly in her ears and she was froze in shock at what was happening. How many times had she imagined kissing Theo? Wanted to kiss Theo? It was nothing like how she thought it’d be. No, it was perfect. Better. Shocked eyes soon melted closed and she sighed, relaxing into the kiss.

Strong arms were wrapped around her slender waist and she pressed closer to Theo as she naturally wrapped her arms around his neck. The kiss was soft and innocent at first but as their lips opened and fitted together like two missing puzzle pieces, Scarlett blushed brightly at the warmth that spread through her body. She held to Theo as desperately as his fingers dug into her back and it was only the slight pain that kept her grounded to reality. This was not a dream. Innocently inexperience, Scarlett tried her best to keep up with Theo but felt herself becoming overwhelmed as their lips and tongue explored every corner of each other.

“Theo..” She breathed his name softly between their lips and she didn’t want this to stop but the need for air broke the intense moment they had shared between each other. “Theo, I..” She couldn’t form words, her lips softly swollen from Theo’s short beard, and for the first time she couldn’t meet the knight’s gaze. Somehow she had become quite shy and docile despite her fiery claims.

How long had he held her, kept his lips against hers, taking in her scent and the gasp of surprise. He felt her wrap her arms around him and it urged him on, his lips parting to all but claim her as his own. She tried to respond to him, tried to keep up, but her Knight had spent more than one night with a wench dreaming it was the woman in his arms now and even most of them couldn't keep up with the ravenous appetite he had for the princess. His lips and tongue doing double duty compared to her innocent fumblings, all the same he loved them.

The moment they broke, Theo's eyes glanced to the doors back to the party, it seemed his act of selfishness went unnoticed. "Scarlett." His hands started to move from her back as he slowly pulled away from her. "The days we spend together grow short... despite the risk and the danger of even... that... I couldn't let you go without you at least knowing." He gave her a loving smile. "I love you. I have always loved you. I always will love you. More than this and I fear putting your life, your family, your people all at risk... so please forgive a knight for being selfish."

Scarlett felt Theo’s hands move from her and she looked up at him in fear he’d regret their kiss and tell her to forget the memory. She didn’t want to hear it was a mistake and she steeled herself to get her heartbroken once more. Never in a million years could she had anticipated his next words. She felt paralyzed, shaken, breathless. Once more the world collapsed around them and they were the only two beings alive that mattered, their heartbeats pounding in the night air. Theo’s words echoed loud in her ears and she almost had a hard time believing she had even heard what he said.

’I love you.’
’I love you.’
’I love you.’

Tears welled in her eyes again and she finally took a breath she didn’t realize she had been holding. “You..” Her voice was unlike what one would normally associate her with. She was vulnerable and sensitive and she was all exposed for Theo to see. “You love me?” She let out a soft sob and she brought her hand to weakly pound on his chest. “You love me?” Why had he never told her? She had felt so alone and lost for as long as she could remember, thinking that she was crazy for pursuing her knight.

“You love me?” Her fists clenched tightly against Theo’s chest, although no longer weakly beating, and she buried her face into his armored chest. “You love me?” She asked desperately as if she couldn’t believe it herself. She had to repeat the words to make sure she had heard him correctly, that she wasn’t dreaming. “You must know how I feel! Why did you deny me for so long? How can I leave you now that I know this?” She had been ready to perhaps marry Fredrick one day if her father willed it but now she couldn’t imagine her life with anyone but Theo.

Theo let her bang against his armor, his arms coming around her once more, holding her to comfort her. "Yes." He answered her each time. "Yes. Yes. Yes." When she finally said something else, however he had to step away, get down on his knee in front of her so he could look her in the eye. "Of course I've known. I've always known. I didn't deny you I'd put my life at risk for little more than a fleeting moment, before it didn't seem like it was worth it... now though..." He couldn't maintain a smile on his face as he spoke his next words, his voice breaking. "How can I watch you go if you didn't? To spend the rest of my days in despair wishing I had said something so very simple to you before you left to live a lady's life." He swallowed hard, trouble maintaining his composure. "I wish I had a noble's blood so I could claim you as my own and spirit you away to my castle, but I'm not. I'm a guard... my duty is to you, but I cannot come with you, and I cannot be with you and keep my head. I don't want you to forget me, Scarlett, I want you know that no matter where you go, there is someone who truly loves you, and in the worst of times, you know where to find him."

Scarlett sobbed as Theo kneeled before her and she hated how she felt at that moment; caught in between real happiness and soul-sucking despair. None of what Theo said made sense yet it was a sound an argument as ever. She didn't know whether to hate him or love him for telling her how he truly felt all these years. What use was it to know something that you can never have? Or was it better to have known and felt and loved than to never had at all? How would Scarlett be able to love another when she knew that Theo ached for her as much as she did for him?

"You're a fool, Theo." She leaned down to rest her head on Theo's shoulder and the rest of her body collapsed into him, her knees bending and her body leaning into the knight. "You're a fool to think you needed a castle to have me." Tears continued to roll down her cheeks because she knew the kind of man Theo was. He was a man of honor. He would never betray his post as her guard even if it meant their happiness together because their status, their birth did not allow for such a union. She had tried for so long and her reward was the single kiss from the man she truly loved. It was the only thing that she could cherish and she would remember it forever.

"I will never forget you."

Theo gave her a smile, stroking her hair gently. "I'm just a fool, milady." After a few minutes, and taking her handkerchief to clean up her makeup after she had been crying he let her return to the party, but the Knight would not be seen again until he escorted her silently back to her chambers to rest for the evening, he did not stick around to make sure she went to bed safely, Gloria and Abigail already working on getting her ready for bed, so the Knight left and retired to his quarters... for the last time.

The next morning came as it normally did for Scarlett, her handmaidens coming to dress her and prepare her for her day, but no knock from Theo came that morning, instead the doors simply opened, three guards entering her chambers uninvited with Ardyn standing between them. "Milady, please forgive the intrusion, but I fear I must inform you of some terrible news. Your father... King George, he has been assassinated. Current evidence points to your bodyguard, the former Sir Theodore, as the killer... I am here at his request, he says that you can vouch for him, prove his innocence."

Theo himself had been held, bound in chains, badly beaten and left on his knees in front of an empty throne. The armor was gone, he was left in simple linens, ill-fitting on his big frame. He had no idea what had happened, the door to his quarters had been thrown open and his friends, men he had trained with and joked and feasted beside had come into the room. "Kingslayer" and "Traitor" finding his ears as they beat him and dragged him into the castle. It was only once he was here that he had been told that he had killed King George. The news was a shock to him, but it was untrue, he couldn't have.

(( Sorry for the delay ))

Gloria chided Scarlett for her puffy eyes. The rest of the evening had been a blur and she had not seen Theo after their kiss. She was in a daze, heartbroken and listless. Abby had even brought her some tea with cherries when Gloria left them for the night but it had only prompted Scarlett to burst into tears. Now morning had arrived and the princess stood in front of her large mirrors as the two maids fussed over her. Anxiously, she waited for Theo to arrive. She had not seen him for some time.

Scarlett’s hair was curled, her lips painted and her skirt draped over her but still no familiar knock came at the door. She was beginning to think that Theo had intended their kiss to be their good bye and she could feel tears well up behind her eyes again just as her doors burst open. Abby was in the middle of tightening her dress and both the girls looked over in shock at the men in armor. Gloria of course frowned and shouted at the men. “What is the meaning of this?”

Curious, Scarlett gazed over at the men and at the mention of her father’s death, she froze. “What?” It couldn’t be. How? She had just danced with him last night. “No, you must be mistaken he cannot----” Then ice pricked her skin. Theo killed him? No. Impossible. “What? No..! No that cannot be! Nothing you are saying is making any sense. I--” Scarlett moved to step down towards the guards but she suddenly felt light headed, collapsing and supported by her two maids. A guard quickly came to her aid and after a moment, Scarlett regained her consciousness.

“I… I must see Theo. Take me to him. My father is not dead and Theo is no killer.”

Ardyn allowed the guard to hold her up, help her on her feet, though her handmaidens would insist on keeping her upright on their own if they needed to. "I'm afraid everything we have points to the contrary, Princess." He allowed her to come along, leading Scarlett to the throne room where she could see Theo in chains and on his knees. Theo had nothing to say, why was she here? He hadn't called for her help, nor sent word to anyone about what had happened, he didn't have time to before the guards kicked his door in. "Scarlett? I don't know what they have told you, but it is a lie. I didn't hurt your father, I swear it on my sword." "How ironic." Theo shot the master of coin a look. "You swear on the sword that took his life." From behind the throne Ardyn produced Theo's sword. His ceremonial sword, not the one he normally carried around with him on duty, the thing barely even had an edge to it. He ground his teeth, he was being set up, there was no other way the evidence would point to him unless someone wanted it to be him... Ardyn didn't even have the courtesy to clean it before presenting the blade, the edge still stained with crimson.

"Do you deny that this is your sword? It was found on the King's bedside, I will not go into detail, but this is no one's but your own, and each bodyguard's sword is specially made."

Scarlett was confused at the sight that met her as she entered the throne room. Theo looked so different without his armor and his sword and his proud posture she had grown used to. She was at a lost for words as she walked closer and as Theo spoke, she could feel her heart flutter. “Theo! I--” He looked so desperate, genuine. There was no way he killed the King. He gave up a life with her to fulfill his duty, surely he would not kill for mere personal gain.

Bright green eyes turned to look as Ardyn brought out a great sword stained with blood. Scarlett faltered as the fact that her father was dead sunk in. Was that his blood? Was that really Theo’s sword? But Theo wouldn’t…. Tears welled in her eyes and she looked back to Theo.”No.. It can’t be.” He didn’t deny that it was his sword.

Overwhelmed, Scarlett stepped back from the “trial” she was brought to witness and she turned to Ardyn. “Where is my father?” She sobbed as she saw the blade once more. “This is… I can’t… Take me to my father!” Right now, Scarlett only wanted to see her father. The dirty politics or the blame or the trial was far from her mind at the moment. “I don’t care what you do. I need to see him right now.”

"Some bodyguard, look what you have done to your precious Princess, she is indeed hysterical. I heard all I need to hear." Ardyn nodded to one of the guards, who stepped forward. "Milady, please follow me, I will take you to... to your father." The guard started to march off, knowing she would follow. Once they were gone the Master of Coin gave a grin at Theo. "You heard her, dear bodyguard. She doesn't care what I do. So I suppose you will be sentenced. Theodore, former knight and protector of the crown, I, acting Reagent of the Realm, name you guilty in the eyes of God and Men, for the crimes of Murder of the Crown, Conspiracy against the Crown, and Grand Treason, the punishment for all of which is death. Guards, take him to the dungeons and call the headsman to come for him on the morrow." Theo started to struggle again, screaming and roaring in protest and rage. Ardyn did this, there was no doubt about it, he had set him up and thrown him to the wolves, whatever his scheme was, it didn't matter now. Theo needed a plan of action.

The scene had at least been cleaned somewhat. He was left where they found him, in his study, pouring over maps and alliances that came about during the party, blood was still stained on the desk and the floor. His body was covered by a white cloth, but the crown left on the desk, also specked with blood, left no other doubt as to who he could be. Scarlett's father.

Back
Top Bottom