Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

At her side. (greenteapot)

RustyRedHero

Breaker
Another dawn another duty, and Theo was already suiting up in his decorative armor. The 28 year old knight had been getting up before dawn for years, going through his morning routine before his charge would get up for the morning. Armored in the decorative plate that recognized him as a member of the royal guard, armed with one of the few swords he had owned himself, he had a decorative piece as well, but he never wore it, carrying his own sword in it's scabbard instead. He had gone through his morning workout and training regiment to keep his skills sharp. A fact that had gotten him some playful teasing from the other royal guards in his starting years. Always asking him why he trained so much in a time of peace. But with a smile he would respond with 'Because I guard our future.' The constant work on his body made his imposing 6'4" frame all the more impressive compared to many of the guards who had become fat and lazy in their time at the castle. He had proven his dedication time and again in his duty, and today was no different.

Theo ate a quick breakfast, knowing full well that the Princess would eat after she had awoken and prepared. The knight making a brisk pace towards her room, where her handmaidens would be waiting on her at about this time. He gave a polite knock upon the door, letting the two inside know that he was there.

Scarlett had a hard time falling asleep. Her heart pounded hard against her ribcage as she thought about the upcoming celebration. Next week was her 18th birthday and while so many people were excited and praised her (menial) accomplishment, she felt as if it was a ticking time bomb, ready to set off once she was of age for marriage. It wasn’t always like this. At one point in her life, she had been excited to turn 18. She thought it’d give her some freedom from the castle life and she could make her own decisions as queen and ruled as liberal as her father did but as she grew up, sat through more etiquette classes, told to sit up straighter, smile more, speak less, she quickly realized that she was walking into a cell cage as the years passed by. Although her kingdom was a happy and peaceful one with vast views, the rest of the world was not and she had to prepare for that.

Exhaustion had hit her late through the night, an hour or so before dawn, and when her handmaidens knocked on her door to ready her for the day, Scarlett was hardly in a state of rest. They chided her for the bags under her eyes and gently dragged her from bed and into a lukewarm bath. As much as she tried to keep awake, Scarlett’s eyes fluttered closed and her maids were left shaking her awake and holding up her dead weight body when she drifted too far off. “This is not how a princess should behave!” The older maid tsked and ushered Scarlett to her dressing room as she patted her down dry. Gloria was a bit of an old minded thinker and felt that Scarlett was way too old for a princess. She should have been a queen by now with twins and a kingdom.

“Abbey doesn’t seem to mind.” Scarlett laughed softly as the younger maid stifled a laugh and brought over her corset. Abbey was studying under Gloria to be Scarlett’s permanent handmaid and just so happened to be one of Scarlett’s closest friends. “Abigail! You shouldn’t be giving into the princess’ unconventional ways. You are here to help her. Groom her into the perfect bride and--” As Gloria went on a rant, Scarlett did little to stifle a yawn and Abbey giggled as the princess offered her friend a deadpan expression. Unlucky for her, Gloria’s eyesight was still impeccable as ever and the large mirrors she stood in front of did little to conceal her antics. It earned Scarlett a pinch to her side and an elongated lecture on her very princess-like behavior.

Due to the lecture and Scarlett sleeping zombie corpse in the morning, they were still in the middle of dressing when there came a soft knock on the door. Gloria let out a surprised shriek as she heard the knock and tossed the silk material for Abbey to catch as she hurried to the door. She was late. Gloria always went to fetch and put the final touches on Scarlett’s breakfast long before Theo showed up and as the man himself now knocked at the door, the old maid was in a thistle. “Oh Theo!! She has been a nightmare, I say! A nightmare!” Gloria opened the door for the knight and bristled passed him, stress radiating off of her old bones as she swished through the halls to the kitchen.

Scarlett’s laugh was cut short as Abbey pulled on a string a bit too tight behind her dress and she held her torso as she spoke. “She’s just being dramatic. Don’t listen to her, Theo.” She gave a nonchalant wave of her hand and then offered him a bright smile in the mirror despite her mild discomfort. Abbey finished lacing up her dress and Scarlett carefully stepped down from her station before going over to sit down by her powers and hair utensils. Abbey set to work braiding Scarlett’s long, red tinted hair and blushed as she glanced over at the knight. “I’m so sorry. We are running a bit late today.” There was no denying that Theo was handsome. One of the best knights in the kingdom, he had been by Scarlett’s side since she was born and she had grown more than fond of the man. If he returned her affections, it was a mystery since the man hardly did anything out of the ordinary of his duties.

“I would like you to know that it is not entirely my fault.” Soft lips curled into an unconvincing smile and Abbey laughed softly as she continued to braid the princess’s hair. “What? It’s true! Gloria went on a long, looooong lecture. So, see? Not. Entirely. My. Fault.” Finished with her hair, Abbey went to powder Scarlett’s face. Scarlett had gentle features. Soft and elegant like her mother’s but possessed a sense of strength and boldness from her father. Her eyes were crystal blue and her hair a light brown with fiery red laced in between her strands. She stood at a less than average height without her heels at 5’4” and her pale skin had just a touch of sun to make her glow when she walked into a room. Beauty and elegance in all aspect of the words, Scarlett unfortunately, acted very much the opposite. All a part of her charm, she supposed.

Theo couldn't fight the smile on his face as Gloria bristled past him, going on another of her rants about the princess's behavior. He stepped into the room, chuckling at the pair in the room. "Behave somewhat, milady, or your antics may take Gloria before her age does." Theo preferred to smile around Princess Scarlett, she had too many people with grimaces and sour looks as it was, even the other guards, who had gone complacent, tried to scowl more to make themselves more intimidating. Sharp hazel eyes swept over the beauty and her reflections, always a vision, he had been by her side since she was small, little more than a squire when he began looking after her when he was 15, but she had grown into such a lovely woman, the sort that most men would kill to spend even a night with, and probably would if not for him. His hair was neatly brushed back away from his face, and there was no telling it's true color most of the time, either black or the darkest brown. The decorative reds and golds on his polished armor glinting in the morning light. Those eyes fell on hers for a moment and his smile faltered, studying the same face for the last 13 years it was easy to tell when something was off. "Warm tea with cherry, next time you have trouble sleeping."

The smile returned to Theo's face as he awaited for Scarlett to finish preparing for the day. Although she was already covered, Theo was watching her, but had moved so he could keep an eye on the door and her windows, his positioning always seeming odd to anyone without his training, like he's always in a corner. In moments like these he could think on what needed to be done for the day, but the Princess's agenda was normally kept from him, it was not his business what she did, only that he protects her. Today he figured the Princess would like to go into town and choose some more items for her upcoming celebration. Scarlett being who she was, it was never easy to tell what was rolling around in her head on what she wanted, desires changing like the seasons.

Theo decided to cut through the mild silence. "Looking forward to next week, milady? I hear your father has already started lining up suitors for you to meet after the celebration. Maybe find someone to tame that wild horse of a personality you have?" He chuckled at his own joke, he had come to love his princess dearly in his time at her side, duty prevented him from acting on his feelings, but it was fun to poke at her from time to time.

Scarlett laughed. “Highly unlikely.” Somewhere deep down, Theo’s nonchalant discussion about her marriage pained her. Did he not care that she will be married off soon? “Looking forward to the suitors? Absolutely not. But dancing? I am excited for the dancing. Will you finally honor me with a dance for my birthday, oh grand knight, Theo?” A smile played on her lips before her suave shot at flirting was cut short. She coughed and scrunched up her face as Abbey powered her face a bit too enthusiastically. “Too much. That’s… too much.” She waved the air between them and dodged the powder pad as Abbey came at her face again. “Gloria has been punishing me for making your face too bare!!” Scarlett huffed in reply and the maid quickly followed up. “If you have any care at all, you’d let me do it!” There was a beat of silence before Scarlett signed, resigned to being caked over with the fine powder. “Fine.”

After the powder, Abbey applied Scarlett’s eye makeup. She was concentrating on putting the final touches on when the princess started to lean back. “Hey, stay still..” Abbey found that she leaning forward more and more until… wait. “Are you..” Abbey shook the princess. “Jeeze! Wake up! Did you really not get any sleep as Theo suggested?” Scarlett yawned as she was thrust awake again and when she moved to rub her eyes, Abbey batted her hands away. “No! I just finished. I’ll go fetch you a cup of coffee to help you wake up. I hope Gloria doesn’t throw a fit when she comes in here and sees your face incomplete. It’s my hide, remember!?”

“Aww, that means I let you over powder my face for no reason!” Scarlett called after Abbey but the door was shut before she could finish. Silence settled in the room for a moment before Scarlett’s own laughter filled it. She smiled at Theo and motioned for him to come closer. “I really do prefer it if you didn’t sit so gloomy in the corner of the room, you know.” She teased him as she reached for a red lip tint and started to pat some color onto her lips. Blue eyes glanced up at Theo in the mirror as he approached and she asked almost a bit too softly. “Were the bags under my eyes that noticeable?” It was true she had a rough night and Gloria had been chastising her all morning about her eyebags. Theo must have seen them to know, right? She set down the lip tint as she finished and gently rubbed her lips together before twisting around in her chair. “Is it as dreadful as Gloria claims?” The bulk of Theo’s armor hid him from her and she signed. “Do you have a handkerchief?” Scarlett extended her hand to Theo expectantly. The red tint had left a residue on her finger and she wanted to wipe it off.

Theo smiled away, a dance with his charge was something that he would have wanted to do. However... "Not likely, an event such as that would be a prime opportunity for some lout to do you harm. A dance would be an unwelcome distraction in my duty, milady. All the same, I appreciate the sentiment." He gave a quick bow to her respectfully, the knight approaching after Abigail had left them at his lady's request. "I prefer the corner, I can watch a whole room from there." He pulled forth a small cloth from his belt, he had three on him at all times. One for her, one for him, and for his sword, the third she had never seen him actually pull out.

He chuckled at her lightly as he placed the cloth into her hand. "I've been by your side for over ten years, milady, I notice things that even Gloria would miss. As is my duty." He studied her in the mirror as she tidied herself before he spoke again. "Are you nervous, meeting these suitors I mean. Most girls your age would be swooning at the idea of meeting her Prince, some charming fellow groomed to make you happy in some far off land. Each one as eager as the last to call himself your groom and future King." He had a soft smile on his face as he spoke, but the idea of it annoyed him, he had heard of some of the men that were lined up to meet with Scarlett, and while a good number of them had reputations for being quite the gentleman, others had little more than a stain of honor.

His duty. It was always ‘his duty.’ She took the cloth and wiped her finger of the tint, returning to her reflection and touching up where she saw fit. Scarlett was in the middle of dabbing at the edges of her lips with the cloth when Theo spoke again and her eyes studied the other in the mirror. “Most girls my age are already married.” She gave a soft huff of a laugh and then sighed as Theo’s gaze remained on her. No getting out of this. “I’m sure they are eager but I… I prefer to marry someone familiar. I want to choose my own path and my own happiness. I don’t need a stranger to tell me what happiness is. I am already happy.” She held Theo’s gaze pointedly to drive home the fact that she was happy spending her time in the castle with Theo. As hopeless as it may be, she still waited for him to return her affections each day.

Scarlett rose from her seat, finally dressed and properly pampered for the day, and turned to hand the red-smeared handkerchief to Theo. “So no, I am not nervous. Annoyed, perhaps, but not nervous. I don’t even have anything to look forward to now that you’ve rejected my dance. Twice now, is it?” She smiled softly up at Theo with a bit of a lingering sadness and then she patted him on the arm to follow her. “Come. I think I need some air.” She held onto Theo lightly as she stepped into her heels and then she smoothed out her blue silk dress before she quickly stalked out of the room and towards the garden. She didn’t have an appetite that morning and really, just wanted to see the gardens when it was void of people so early in the morning.

Theo returned her smile, of course he knew her feelings, he wanted nothing more than to act on them, to wisk her away and keep her as his own. But his duty was to protect her and prepare her for her future, and be at her side until his last days. "Most girls your age throw themselves at the first man they meet, if the other guards are to be believed while they are in their cups." He chuckled softly. "Tomorrow always holds something new, milady. Somethings you haven't experienced yet will make you happy if you give it the chance to." He gave a small bow. "But I may be overstepping my station by saying so, milady."

He accepted the cloth from her and tucked it back into his belt. "Three times, actually, you asked once when you were a young girl, but who's counting?" He chuckled softly at that, recalling the memory. "You called me something a little lady shouldn't have known." He obeyed, as he should have and followed her out of her room, out into the gardens, there was no corner for him to watch from properly out here, so he remained beside her as she strolled around, the soft clank of his armor as he walked contrasting the soft breeze blowing through the gardens.

She had completely forgotten about that incident when she was younger. Maybe Theo knew more than he led on. Despite being the cause of her broken heart, the dense knight still managed to spread a warmth inside her, spreading to her cheeks at the fond memory. They made it out of the castle in no time and Scarlett wandered aimlessly in the empty gardens with Theo by her side. It was comfortable, the silence the enveloped them and she wondered if he’d miss her as much as she’d miss him when she was married off. Running their conversation back in her head, she vaguely wondered if she, too, had thrown herself at the first man she met. Theo certainly counted as a man, did he not?

They reached a clearing and the wind rustled the leaves just as a distant piano was playing from somewhere in the castle. She stopped and looked back at her knight and then gingerly held out a hand for him. “Surely if you cannot dance with me at the ball then you can dance with me now?” If Theo said no, this will be the fourth rejection. But who was counting, right?

Theo walked with her through the gardens, he could hear her mother practicing in the hall from here, the delicate piano tones singing through the breeze. Her question hadn't caught him off guard, the knight giving her a kind smile, which faded as he spent some time thinking on it, no longer looking her in the eye and instead at her offered hand. His fingers running along his thumb and palm, he was tempted, it was obvious that he was. But four it would be as he closed his eyes, letting out a sigh. His hand came up to take hers, but there no starting steps, no move to take her into his arms as a partner would. Both hands clasping hers. "I cannot. As much as I would wish to, I do not wish to give you the wrong impression. I am your shield, your friend, and your sword. I cannot be anything more." He took her hand and brought it to his lips, kissing her fingers. "It is my duty, and my loyalty to you. Please, do not ask me again, milady."

The Knight dropped her hand and took a step back, he was no longer looking at her, instead at her feet, unable to meet her gaze at the moment. In that moment he felt just as cold as the armor he wore, but he knew this was the right thing to do, she was not his to claim, it was not his place and not his decision, nor was it hers. He let the silence still between them, waiting for where she wished to go next.

She reached for him desperately. She wanted to be with him if only he’d let her. Didn't he know that she'd give up everything she had if he just said he loved her? It was so easy. All he had to do was promise to be by her side and they would be together. Her hand faltered, losing hope, but then he took her hand and her heart swelled as she waited for him to take her into his arms. He never did. What he did instead was break her heart yet again and he fought back the heat burning behind her blue eyes.

Was she not pretty enough for him? Smart enough? Strong enough? What was it that kept her from him? He had rejected her many times before but never as harsh as he did that moment. She took her hand back from him, hating herself for wanting to savor the kisses on her fingers, and she chuckled softly. "it was just a dance." Scarlett offered him an empty smile. "Just a dance between friends, of course. Nothing more." She was lying through her teeth and she knew he knew it. Try as she did, she couldn't help the tears and her watery eyes spilled over.

She gasped as she felt the few tears drop and she turned around, gingerly dabbing her eyes and then she choked out. "S-stay here. I'm going on by myself, okay?" Once the tears came, she couldn't stop them and she didn't want to be crying in front of Theo. That was embarrassing. She wanted to die as it was and so without another word, Scarlett took off into the garden maze to be alone.

Theo didn't have to be looking at her to know he had pushed her away one time too many. She didn't know what she did to him, how many nights he spent thinking of her, how badly he truly wanted her, to carry her off, never seen again... but he couldn't. It wasn't right, and he would be put to death if he ever got caught, a fact that would tear the poor girl's heart in two. No, for her sake, this was better. He didn't respond to the empty lie, and instead let her go, the hedge maze in the garden was still within the walls, she would be safe to wonder on her own in her own thoughts.

"Theo! There you are dear boy, have you seen the princess?" Theo turned to see High Advisor Ardyn Lumis coming into the gardens. "I have, sir. She wanted to try her hand at the hedge maze for a time, is it important?" "No, not particularly. Her father, our good king, very much wanted to speak to her when she was free to do so, I recognize our fair lady is quite busy these days and do not wish to impose." Theo eyed the man, also dark haired, shorter at 5'8" his hair was also slicked back, but greasier and grey eyes that reminded Theo of a body. He didn't trust this man, never did, and the way he sometimes leered at Scarlett left a chill down his spine. All the same, he was the King's most trusted advisor and was often called up to run errands of the state.

Scarlett ran as hard and as fast as she could into the maze, taking random turns and not paying attention to where she ran to. She just needed to get away from the other, clear her head, try to forget the pain. She didn't know when she had taken off her heels but when she stopped, she was barefoot and only had one shoe in her hand. Her breath was ragged and she tried to regain her senses as she slowly walked into the clearing she had stumbled upon. Where was she?

She wiped a stray tear from her cheek and lifted her long dress as she went over to the fountain in the clearing. Catching her reflection, she sighed and laughed softly at her pathetic self as she tried to tidy herself up as best as she could. If only Theo was here, she could've asked for a handkerchief but she was alone and had no one to depend on. After her powders were shifted back into place and all traces of her crying were almost gone, Scarlett decided to go further into the maze. There was no way she wanted to go back to Theo and so the only way to go was to push forward.

Theo was keeping on eye on the maze while the advisor kept him occupied with a list of things that needed to be cared for by the Princess. Etiquette classes, new clothes, preparations for her celebration, a few more names of the suitors that were interested in meeting her. "If I may, advisor, I fear our lady has gotten lost in the maze again, and all of those things would be for naught if she can't attend any of them." He gave a playful smile and a bow before ducking into the maze. Ardyn left staring after the knight, taking a seat nearby to see who would emerge first.

Theo had difficulty following her trail, he knew the maze well enough, but he didn't know which way she went, making his way deeper and deeper into the maze to try and find his charge... and hopefully apologize. He knew what it meant to keep pushing her away, but it was the only thing for him to do. It was enraging and frustrating, but he couldn't act, knew he couldn't act, knew he shouldn't act, but the temptation was so very strong.

Scarlett tried not to let panic set in as she turned various corners to find dead ends or even more forks in the road. She began to wonder why she thought it was a good idea to enter in the first place. Right. That's because she wasn't thinking. She brushed a piece of stray hair behind her ear and started down another corner when she thought she heard the telltale clink of Theo. Much to her chagrin, her heart fluttered and she mentally beat herself up for still liking the idiot. It was clear he had no feelings for her.

As she tried to escape Theo -- there was no way she could face him after that fiasco -- she kept on rounding corners and reaching dead ends. It was frustrating when you were trying to run away from someone in here. She huffed a breath and when Theo entered into a clearing she was currently in, she quickly ducked behind a bench and the tree that grew there in hopes that he'd go away. Perhaps if he didn't see her, she could find her way out.

Theo followed path after path, quickly coming across one of her heeled shoes. He gave a soft sigh, gathering it up before continuing the search. It wasn't long before he found her in a clearing, a small fountain, a couple benches and a tree nearby, which she was poorly trying to hide behind with her skirt as it was. The knight sight and approached the bench, examining the shoe in his hand awkwardly. He remained in silence for a few minutes, no one could hear them out here and he was trying to pick his words carefully. "It's not that I don't want to. I'm a fool of a man for turning you away as often as I do. I know that very well." She could hear the fumbling of hard leather and steel together as he took off his sword belt and set her shoe on the bench in front of him. "I have been by your side for a very long time, milady... it is difficult to remember that I am your guard, your steward, your servant. Difficult and taxing, but I do it because I love you dearly. Such a selfish thing as that... even for a day. An accusation, a rumor, the wrong word to the right ear, and your kingdom would be in war simply for my head. For yours." She could hear the armor clanking as he started walking away, stopping at the edge of the clearing. "I am to be your shield, your sword, and even your guide if I must. More than that, and I put thousands at risk for my own selfishness. You will find someone greater than me to take your hand, I am sure of it. Until then, remember where your path leads, milady, and know I will be beside you for it, no matter what comes." With that he left, his armor clanking away and leaving divots in the ground with his sword, leaving her a trail out of the maze back to the entrance.

Theo was surprised to see the advisor still waiting. A quick lie then, to get him to go away. "She must be good and lost in there, I left her a trail to the entrance if she comes across it, so hopefully she will be along soon." Ardyn smiled and clapped his hands together in delight. "Ah such a troublemaker our princess is, but such a stalwart companion to stay at her side through it all, you have my encouragement Sir Theo." "Thank you, sir. That is much appreciated." It really wasn't. "Well, I have spent too much time waiting already and I have other matters to attend to, busisness of the State and all that, faretheewell, Theo." "You as well sir." With that, Ardyn gave a flourish of his robes and took off into the depths of the castle again. Theo fixed his belt, kicked the dirt off his scabbard and sat down on a nearby bench waiting for her to come back out.

Scarlett could hear Theo approaching and she felt panic rise inside of her. She expected the worst from the other but instead of yelling at her, he simply martyred himself. Both anger and sadness flared against her chest and before she could get a word in, Theo was running away again. So that must be how it felt when she fled. Huffing a breath, she slowly dragged herself to the bench and gingerly stepped into her tall heels again. Well, she at least had Theo to thank for finding the other pair.

She noticed divots on the floor and she cranked her head in curiosity as her eyes followed the marks into the hedges. “Oh.” A soft giggle bubbled from the princess’s lips as she realized that the knight had offered her a easy and safe way out of the maze. And as much as she loved the garden, she didn’t want to stay there all day. Not when there were so much to do before her “grand ball” and really, if she did not show up, Theo would surely be on the receiving end of a bad day.

So gathering herself up and pushing down the ball of emotions she felt (those princess lessons were coming into handy now), she sighed and followed the trail out of the maze. One thing for sure though, she certainly did not miss Theo’s love confession in the jumbled duty-centered rejection speech he had given her. Perhaps it was due to her age, but she secretly held onto the small glimmer of help. One day, perhaps when she gathers enough courage, she will steal a kiss from the prude old man.

Theo sat waiting for her as she exited and she offered him a bright smile. Water under the bridge. She had to tell herself that and that was the only reason she’d survive in this world. If she didn’t have Theo in her corner then life would be more painful than she’d like to find out. “Thank you for guiding me out.” She gave a small forced laugh and walked pass the knight. It was a given that he’d follow her and so she simply continued on. “I heard you talking to someone. Who was it? Did you scare them away?” Trying to make light of the situation, opted to not talk about their non-existent relationship at all.

Theo had given her a similar smile in response, the knight not really up to showing a smile, but he would for her sake. "You are quite welcome, milady." He got to his feet as she approached, and followed in her step as she passed. "I was speaking to Adviser Ardyn. He had mentioned that your father had wished to see you regarding your first suitor. I did not catch a name of the young man, however. And I believe I did, in fact scare him away." The familiar clank at her side of his following was echoing her steps again.

"It is your decision if you wish to see your father now, or later in the day, I know there are other preparations that still need to be made. I shall follow your lead, milady." He was starting to put together the idea of perhaps he could steal a dance from her at her celebration, but there was too much to plan for, contingencies and guard duty... but maybe he could pull it off.

Scarlett sighed at the mention of a suitor. Really, this party was beginning to be a headache. “It was probably Ardyn’s idea.” She teased. Her father place great trust in Ardyn and although Scarlett had no qualms with the other, he stuck his nose in places he shouldn’t. Of course he only had the kingdom’s best interest at heart but at what cost? Sometimes Scarlett just wanted to enjoy the peace a little more, listen to a song for a bit longer but Ardyn was always insistent on moving on towards the future.

“I will… see my father later. I need a distraction.” She turned to glance back at Theo briefly and then pursed her lips. “Maybe a trip to the market. I would love to buy some flowers and I need to make a trip to finalize my dress for the ball.” She paused as she reached the fork in the road to go back into the castle or around it. She didn’t want to risk being seen by her father or the servants and being forced to confront strange men. “Let’s… go around. You can prepare the carriage without help, yes? I would rather slip away if we can.”

"I doubt that Ardyn has had any hand an arranging a suitor for you, milady. He doesn't strike me the sort to keep a sharp eye for men." The playful nature of his tone would be hard to miss, a smile at his lips, as always, though not as bright as it normally was. "All the same, I question his motives on occasion, though he has not steered our good King wrong just yet. Perhaps you will find someone wise enough to advise you on how to rule as well. Someone keen on the matters of state and a good nose for politics, an ear to the ground to hear the people and a sharp mind for coin."

The look she had shot him was not missed, and left a stone in his belly as a result. At her request to go around he nodded behind her. "As you wish, though I will still require one of the stable boys to ready the horses. And a driver as well. If you require a trip to the market I would also recommend bringing some coin." It was customary for guards to ride beside the carriage rather than on or in it, harder to defend a location if you were on top of it. "Will that suffice, milady?"

Scarlett nodded. As long as they could sneak out without any commotion or being seen, she was okay with anything. They walked along the castle until they reached the stables and Scarlett stood nearby as Theo instructed the men around. Her carriage was set up and the horses were arranged in record time. Scarlett climbed in as they all took their places and one of the servants brought out a coin purse for Theo to keep for the princess. Scarlett sat in the carriage holding her breath until they moved, carrying her away further from the castle. Only then, could she finally breathe again. She never felt as suffocated as she did right now.

The trip to the market was the perfect distance to clearing one’s head: not to long and not too short. Theo mostly kept to himself due to his ‘duty’ so Scarlett had no one to speak to but she was fine with it this time and made no motion to ask him mundane questions. She concentrated on her breathing and calming down her nerves before the bustling noise of the market filled her ears. She smiled as she recognized the slow of the horses’ gallop and she eagerly waited for the driver to help her out of the carriage.

“Thank you.” She smiled sweetly at the man helping her down and she took off into the market immediately. Theo was probably used to her running around so she hardly waited for him to clank behind her. First, she needed a hat for the hot sun. She had forgotten her’s in their haste. Stopping by a boutique, she entered and softly touched the brim of a few hats on display. “Which one do you like, Theo?”

It only took a couple of minutes for Theo and the surrounding servants to prepare her carriage and get it rolling towards the market with her in tow. Theo taking advantage of the silence along the peaceful path to settle his own nerves, focusing on his duty rather than his desire, which had grown more difficult as of late. Once arriving in the market, Theo was all eyes and ears, taking in as much detail around him, it only took one person to be a threat to the princess, and he had to keep a sharp eye on everyone he could. Almost at once she started to hurry off into one of the shops. Following after her wasn't an issue, not like when she was younger and would take off in a game of chase with the knight and the other guards.

Once inside he saw his charge examining a few hats on the shelves and racks nearby. He smiled at her brightly, taking a quick look around before pointing at one in particular, lightly colored like her dress with cloth roses stitched into the ribbon. "That one, it matches the color of your dress and the roses will bring out your hair color." Theo didn't really know much about fashions, but he knew his lady's taste well enough, Scarlett preferring simple and flattering rather than decadent in his experience.

Scarlett turned her attention to the hat that Theo had pointed out and her gaze went back and forth between the knight and the hat. What? Did she hear him correctly? It was quite impressive. A grin growing on her face, she giggled softly and took the hat in question before trying it on. “Mmm… You’re right, Theo.” She turn to glance up at him and smiled. “You claim to know nothing about fashion yet here you are, an eye for such detail.” The owner of the shop gave a small bow as he approached and smiled softly at the princess.

“Ah, my. How you’ve grown, princess.” Scarlett smiled brightly at the old man and wrapped her arms around him in a most unprofessional greeting. “Howard! I haven’t seen you in so long. I thought you were still away on travel.” The old man chuckled and patted the princess’s back, smiling happily at the girl. “I had to return to see you dance with the future king. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” A sadness washed over Scarlett but she hid it from the old man. “Oh, you’re too sweet! You shouldn’t have returned just on my behalf” Scarlett had visited the shop often as a little child and the man had grown fond of her and wanted nothing but happiness for the princess.

“Oh, my dear. You mean more to me than you know. Please, take the hat as a gift.” Scarlett’s eyes widen at the offer and she sputtered. “O-oh, no. I couldn’t possibly --” “Please, I insist. Sir Theo, please, keep your gold. I want you both to be happy.” Well, that was a strange way of putting things but Scarlett only blushed softly and gave the old man a kiss on the cheek as they went on their way to the flower shop.

Theo smiled and gave a bow to the owner of the haberdashery, she was well loved by the people of the castle town, and seeing her happy brought the spirits of the town up as well. "Thank you very much, Howard. I will see to it that you are welcomed into the party, be sure to dress your best." With that, Theo followed after his charge, her footsteps once again echoed by the clank of his armor. "You've gathered quite the following behind you, milady." He smiled brightly, the little troublemaker still wasn't quite a lady, but she had the respect of one.

Within the flower shop an older woman was awaiting inside. "Oh. Hello, Princess." She gave a low curtsy, smiling politely. "I have some of the arrangements you requested prepared, but there is still one more I need to complete before your party, milady. Or was there another reason for your visit today?"

“Oh, no, please take your time.” Scarlett smiled softly at the flower girl and went over to the batch of tulips in the corner. “And I think I’ll take these, Theo.” She waved the man over and placed the bouquet in his arms. By the end of the day, Theo would be covered in bags and miscellaneous trinkets that Scarlett fancied. They did the same routine between the two of them as they often did despite their little hiccup in their relationship earlier that day; they stole glances of each other, smiled and maybe gazed in each other’s eyes a little bit too long. Night fell and days passed and soon it was Scarlett’s 18th celebration.

Scarlett had trouble sleeping again but with help from a cup of tea with cherries, she found rest in the late hours of the night. One thing was for sure, Scarlett could not afford to give Gloria a hard time that morning. The old woman was stressed out as it was. The princess even woke by herself that morning and waited patiently for the old maid but in the end, only an apologetic Abbey showed up. The preparation for the party was everyone’s first priority and Gloria was tied up in the logistics of the thing.

Abbey spent much of the day getting Scarlett prim and proper for the event. She was to meet her suitors and be on her best princess behavior -- direct orders from her father -- and she couldn’t afford to have a hair out of place. Poor Abbey had to run around for Scarlett, getting her nails polished, her face powdered, her hair curled. Despite dedicating the whole day to simply getting ready, Scarlett was press for time when dinner rolled around. Her dress was dreadfully heavy and Abbey struggled to put the thing on her. Luckily, Theo had been lurking in the corner and they had to call for his assistance in dressing the princess.

“Not quite what you thought you’d be doing as the princess’ personal guard, right, Theo?” Scarlett teased the older man and gave him a bright smile in thanks. Scarlett was on time to dinner, much to the surprise of the King, and the meal passed by dreadfully boring. Scarlett had to smile so much she thought her face had frozen into place. It was amazing how her classes paid off in the end and Scarlett ended up not making a fool of herself as princesses and queens chatted with her. As vast as the influence of the guests invited, Scarlett somehow remembered all of their names and proper talking points.

By the end of the meal, she was getting too many praises of being the perfect wife to make her comfortable. It was a shame Theo was hidden away in his corner again. She had no one to share distorted faces with.

But as all things do, the meal ended and Scarlett was rushed back to her room to change into a ball gown. After a few struggles, with the help from Theo getting the garment off and the new one on, Scarlett was finally ready to be announced at the ball for her grand entrance. Her heels clicked loudly as she rushed to the stairs and she glanced back at Theo. “Never in my life have I anticipated such a busy day! I’m afraid I look rather a hot mess rather than a potential queen.”

Arriving at the grand staircase to the ballroom, Scarlett gathered her breath and finally let her dress down. It cascaded elegantly around her with layers and intricate embroidery and details to each carefully placed fabric. The gown was an emerald green and with Scarlett’s pale skin and fiery red hair, she looked like the rightful queen of the palace.

“The beautiful and nubile daughter of King Gregory. The young maiden for such a wonderful event, Princess Scarlett.” Her name was called and hesitating for just a second, Scarlett put on her brightest smile she could muster and stepped out onto the staircase, waving and giving a modest curtsey to the crowd. There were a lot of people watching her. People who wanted to marry her, meet her, befriend her, and also those who wanted to be her or wished ill on her.

As she stepped down onto the main floor, Theo’s presence by her side gave her some comfort as she waved through the crowd of people.

Theo didn't complain as he quickly became her baggage boy again, it was more common than not that this also became his duty, and honestly, he didn't mind that much. The passing days were much like the last, organization and party preperations. Finally the day of the party arrived, Theo had already finished his preparations, polishing his armor and wearing his finest mail under the plate.

Ever the soldier, he did his duty, though helping his charge get dressed into her gown, got under his skin a bit. "No, but you learn to expect the unexpected in my line of work." He didn't complain either way, and was quiet during dinner through to the start of her dressing for the ball. "You've been doing fine, you'll make it through this too, milady. This night is yours, after all, enjoy yourself when you can." It was the last thing he said before he led her to the staircase.

Among the party goers were Howard from the haberdashery, King George, Advisor Ardyn, several nobles and royalty from farther lands. Music started to play as the two came down the stairs, Theo just far enough back that he can keep out of her limelight. As she came to the floor a young man approached her, just as nobly dressed as she was, giving her a polite bow. He was taller than her, just under six feet tall, feathery brown hair perfectly kept to frame his handsome face, bright blue eyes taking in hers. "Good evening, Lady Scarlett. If I may be so bold as to ask you for the first dance of the evening."

Back
Top Bottom