Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Bumping Policy

Rauk said:
I have no relevant personal experience with any other roleplay forum except for BMR here, so I can't really say much about the others. However, I do ask that we keep things civil here on the BMR corner of the internet and try to steer away from any direction that leads to bashing other forums. They run things the way they feel necessary, and we do the same here. If you disagree with their (or our) methodology, that is your business and everyone has their opinion but do stay level headed about things. :)

I don't think anyone has bashed another forum here, they simply stated they've had bad experiences elsewhere, while here at BMR everyone is a lot nicer and more chill. If I'm damned for stating that oh well.
I think all is chill here. :)

This really isnt the place for such a discussion for one. It has drifted far off topic. This thread is an update for our bumping policy, and a means for members to let us know if they need a request thread moved but cannot reach us through PM

And secondly it is heading into the direction of bashing. And we are simply getting a head of it so it doesn't become a thread of negativity against other communities. There will always be people who have had bad experiences here and elsewhere and like rauk said, that's completely your business, not something to really goasip about in a public forum. Let alone a rules forum.

So let's keep things on topic :)

Chaos said:
Rauk said:
I have no relevant personal experience with any other roleplay forum except for BMR here, so I can't really say much about the others. However, I do ask that we keep things civil here on the BMR corner of the internet and try to steer away from any direction that leads to bashing other forums. They run things the way they feel necessary, and we do the same here. If you disagree with their (or our) methodology, that is your business and everyone has their opinion but do stay level headed about things. :)

I don't think anyone has bashed another forum here, they simply stated they've had bad experiences elsewhere, while here at BMR everyone is a lot nicer and more chill. If I'm damned for stating that oh well.

The nature of this conversation just had potential to go there, never said it was toxic to begin with. I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder to everyone to keep things civil, when talking about these frustrations. This is the internet, afterall. lol

I do agree with you though, I've found this place to be pretty chill and have had no trouble finding other laid back RP partners who mesh well with me. No place is perfect, but it's all about finding the niche that's right for you.

Rauk said:
Chaos said:
Rauk said:

The nature of this conversation just had potential to go there, never said it was toxic to begin with. I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder to everyone to keep things civil, when talking about these frustrations. This is the internet, afterall. lol

I do agree with you though, I've found this place to be pretty chill and have had no trouble finding other laid back RP partners who mesh well with me. No place is perfect, but it's all about finding the niche that's right for you.
Ha Ha fair enough. I wasn't sure lol.

But ya, ive made a few friends here so I like it here. Its a good site.

My intention was never to knock any other forum. Each one has their own approach to roleplaying and what-not, whether one agrees with their approach or not. Don't feel comfortable? Ask to be removed or just clear your threads and never log on again. Problem solved.

I want to have positive experiences like everyone else, that's all.

Anywhoo....

As I said a few posts back beforehand, the new policy is fine. It's given me a chance to re-work my requests and other details. Thank you. ^_^

Haruki-sama said:
My intention was never to knock any other forum. Each one has their own approach to roleplaying and what-not, whether one agrees with their approach or not. Don't feel comfortable? Ask to be removed or just clear your threads and never log on again. Problem solved.

I want to have positive experiences like everyone else, that's all.

Anywhoo....

As I said a few posts back beforehand, the new policy is fine. It's given me a chance to re-work my requests and other details. Thank you. ^_^

I honestly think the point they were trying to make was for this thread to get back on topic, which is BMR's Bumping Policy, not how other boards handle things.

Ironic said:
My first ERP sight was HouseofEros. That owner blocked me from the sight because I wouldn't do sexual stuff in real life for him so he made an excuse that I was 16, when at the time I was 18. Then I flocked over here and was skeptical due to that experience but obviously everything worked out!
That guy creeped on you too? He had me contact him over YIM, claiming he needed to personally verify my ago by chatting with him, or some such. Using the email I signed up with, he scoured the website for other accounts of mine and tried to blackmail me with that information. Tried turning that into a weird cyber thing. Total creep

xanaphia said:
Ironic said:
My first ERP sight was HouseofEros. That owner blocked me from the sight because I wouldn't do sexual stuff in real life for him so he made an excuse that I was 16, when at the time I was 18. Then I flocked over here and was skeptical due to that experience but obviously everything worked out!
That guy creeped on you too? He had me contact him over YIM, claiming he needed to personally verify my ago by chatting with him, or some such. Using the email I signed up with, he scoured the website for other accounts of mine and tried to blackmail me with that information. Tried turning that into a weird cyber thing. Total creep

Sounds just like an arse that gives us honest guys a bad name. Thank god BMR is my first ERP site.

Anyway, question with the bumping policy. Would bumping a reconfigured request thread be a bad decision?

Cypherxk2 said:
xanaphia said:
Ironic said:

Sounds just like an arse that gives us honest guys a bad name. Thank god BMR is my first ERP site.

Anyway, question with the bumping policy. Would bumping a reconfigured request thread be a bad decision?

You can bump it, even if you've edited it, when 24 hours has gone by since the last bump.

KaseKatty said:
Im confused i thought bumping was every 7 days? Is it every 24 hours now?

It was changed about 2-3 weeks ago. Yes... bumping on the Male and Female request thread areas is now allowed once every 24 hours.

I'll refer you to this

Sailing Sam said:
KaseKatty said:
Im confused i thought bumping was every 7 days? Is it every 24 hours now?

It was changed about 2-3 weeks ago. Yes... bumping on the Male and Female request thread areas is now allowed once every 24 hours.

I'll refer you to this

Thats cool thank you for clarifying

Basically everything reverted back to how it was prior to the myriad of changes that occurred this past Spring. I admit, I was one of those that suggested some of those changes (namely the separate long term and short term boards), and it was well-meaning. Alas, it didn't quite work.....it caused more confusion in the end. Eheheh. ^_^;;;

All changes except the posting in other members Request Threads, we did keep that one lol. But changes are more-or-less inevitable, things can't remain the same forever. Some changes will stay and some won't and thats fine, all change is good in some form. These changes while we didn't keep most of them, did show us that the previous system worked just fine. It is always appreciated that members choose to speak up with ideas they think might be helpful to the site. Either bringing up the changes themselves or speaking up when the changes are all taking place. Thats sorta how I feel about it. ^^

alright so i'm very confused, what the hell is a bumb and what is not, explain to me like I'm five please...

No worries! It took me some time to get it when I first joined here too, being a little unfamiliar of forums of this type. :)

So, this is a forum mainly geared for 1-on-1 RPs (though it does have group-RP sections). Given the nature of this forum specifically, people have particular desires they want for certain things in their RPs, so, people make "request threads" in one of these three boards;
Requests by Females
Requests by Males
Requests by Non-binaries
in which the person details the kind of roleplays they are looking for. (Also note that which section a request thread is posted in is not based on your IRL gender, but the gender of whatever characters you intend to play as.)

So, people who are actively looking around for RPs themselves will be reading request threads to see if they can find something that interests them and they will respond to.

Being a forum, however, threads are sorted by date of most recent post. So, whenever someone makes a new post in any thread, that thread is re-sorted to the very top of the list of threads--in other words, "bumping" it up to the top. This means that, when people first click on one of the boards and is taken to the first page, they will see all the req threads that have most recently gotten a post in, or "bumped". Since many people have req threads, only so many req threads can be on the first page at any given time, where statistically the most people looking to read req threads will see. The more other people bump their threads, the more your thread falls down the list.

So, because everyone wants their req thread to be seen, but there is only a finite amount of space to display them prominently and people only have a finite amount of time to read through req threads, we require rules on how often someone is allowed to "bump" their threads so that everyone can get an equally fair chance of having their req threads seen. If this place didn't have these rules, the first pages of the request boards would be dominated by a handful of people who would be constantly over-posting in their req threads to force them to be visible, while everyone else is left behind. This would not be fair for anyone!

Currently, the policy is a flat "One bump allowed in your thread no more than every 24 hours". This means that, once you post in your own req thread and "bump" it to the top of the list of threads, you are not allowed to post again until 24 hours have passed, to give everyone else a chance. With the fancy new forum software we have recently moved to, our webmaster has programmed things such that if you try to post in your thread again before the 24-hour timer is up, your new post gets automatically merged with the previous one, preventing your post from acting as a bump for your thread. The staff here used to rely on users to report other users who were breaking the bump-frequency rules, but this new software sets it so it's actually not possible to break the rule anymore!

However, the current policy also covers someone posting in someone else's request thread. Those posts also act as a bump, and this site doesn't (yet) have the programming to prevent that. So, if you see a post by someone in a request thread other than their own, please do report it!

In the past, the site staff has experimented with various other policies to govern and regulate the "limited resource" of bumping to varying amounts of success. The current system is the best tried so far.

I hope all that helped! May you have fortune in your own roleplaying endeavors! :)

Back
Top Bottom