Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Deserted Island [Recruiting closed]

Sigr

Magenta Goon
08Q2DxL.png

This is an idea I initially wanted to explore on a 1 on 1 game, but I thought it could as well be expanded to cover 3 to maybe 5 or 6 people, even if getting a group that big will probably be too hard.

The basic premise is a pretty simple one. An international airplane crashes in the sea close to a deserted island and the player characters are the only ones that survive. The twist that I think could be interesting to explore is that all of them are from different countries and none of them speaks English. The idea was born when I saw that Blue Moon is an international community with people from around the world, so I wanted to make use of it. The narration would be in third person as usual, but the characters could only speak in one of the languages only their player knows, making so the characters will have to understand each other with body language and simple ideas, using English exclusively for the narration.

For that to work, I would encourage for players to be descriptive of the nuances of their characters, their gestures, and without cheating with google translator, of course. In case of interest and/or doubts, just post here.

I'm going to write a brief example to maybe help clarify the doubts:

"Que demonios..." he mumbled, his vision hazy, sand all over his tattered clothes. He couldn't remember how he reached that place, did someone drag him out of the plane? The plane. They had crashed on the sea, he could still remember the certainty of his impending death, and yet there he was, the plane half sunk close to the beach. "Sangre..." he took his right hand to his forehead, looking at the blood on his fingers, finally noticing an unconscious girl close by. "¡Eh! ¿Estás bien? Parece seguir viva..." he muttered, reaching for her, trying to remember the reanimation procedure...

RE: Deserted Island - A game about human communication

Bumping and checkin' in

This is actually an interesting plot!

Sharub: italian

Also wondering if it'll be a pure survival asset or there will bethe more?

I don't know... a full male surviving squad with just one woman, contended by the squad or forced to satisfy their human needs now and then...

Beyond the setup it's mostly about what people make of the game than anything really fixed.

Uh, so it's just a "let's see how a few humans behave in a certain setting"?

Mostly an exploration on human behavior and communication, yes. The island can have its mysteries to spice it up, but it would be a mostly character driven game.

This seems really interesting I have a quick question though when you said don't cheat and use Google translate were you saying that I would have to know and understand how to write in the language that my character would speak in or don't use translate to look up what the other player is saying?

Uh... this is true :/

...afterall... yes... there are interactions without a common tongue but...even if googled we would not understand anyway dunno. I'd like to hear it from Sigr too

What I mean is that we should avoid using google translate on the other character's dialog to keep the feeling of not wholly understanding what they say as intact as possible. The narration and description still go on English, so we will still know what is going on. Of course, nobody it's going to know if you cheat, that depends on you, but I think it would diminish one of the main themes of the game.

Ooooohhh

So you meant not to translate what other players say,, unless our character understands or justifies the understandment: a french, an italian and athe spanish can sort of get "blood" with sang, sangue and sangre... but a german or english might not get it by "blood" or "blut"...

Now iti makes, way more, sense.

That's it, yeah.

This sounds quite interesting, Sigr! Please consider me interested to try out for a part when you get it established.

I was thinking my character would be ethnically and culturally Sami, and lives in Finland. Little chance of any understanding or similarity there.

Someone should use sign language! :)

AnnaBeth Belle said:
This sounds quite interesting, Sigr! Please consider me interested to try out for a part when you get it established.

I was thinking my character would be ethnically and culturally Sami, and lives in Finland. Little chance of any understanding or similarity there.

Someone should use sign language! :)

PERKELE!

Lol, joking.
But speaking of sign language, we have an italian here ;)

Sign language and Italian. That's funny!

Noted Sharub with Italian and Belle with Sami languages (I was surprised seeing that there isn't just a single one, but ten of them).
Unless your character will speak Finnish, feel free to correct me.

I've been debating that. It wouldn't really open up another avenue since even Finnish is a small language overall, but I am thinking about it. I guess a lot would have to do with where the plane is going and why she's on it.

One thing is certain, a tropical island is going to be a shock! I mean, where are the reindeer? What Hell is this? :)

For now we have three European characters, so it could be anything ranging from a simple vacation trip to a cultural whatever on the other corner of the world, with the plane headed towards the southern Pacific ocean or something and getting lost on a small island on the way.

There was a Swedish journalist who lived among the Sami for three years documenting their lives. I am going to say my character was part of the group she lived with and they struck up a friendship. There is an International Conference of Indigenous Women taking place and the journalist invited my character to come and be part of her presentation. So that's why she is on the plane and headed to the South Pacific somewhere.

Ohhh
An expert in indigenousness can give interesting scientific-anthropologic insights. That would bee interesting.

As for my character i, think she might be on a simple vacation.

No, no. Not an expert, just an indigenous person. She's going to the conference more or less as a show and tell piece.

Ah, she IS a Sami indigenous! Sorry, i got that She was in the team of that scientist.

That is interesting nonetheless! So different from her home

So we got two female characters until now. I can play anything, so we should see if we are going to get more people and if not decide if it's going to be a FxFxF game or should I think of playing a male character.

Hmmmm... what language to pick? I don't see any Asain languages so.... Maybe my character will be Vietnamese or Taiwanese. Yeah I'll go with Vietnamese.

At least a male would be better.

If ever, if someone joins later... it can be RPed that, they survived a similar/ same accident. But waves threw them in a different sppt.

Just throwing an idea

Sigr, did you want me to play a male? It's your game so I want you to play what you want, not what the game needs.

Back
Top Bottom