Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Comfort Food (Xanatos & Davian_Veq)

Xanatos

Lady in the Making
College was an intimidating prospect for any young adult even in the best and most normal of circumstances. For someone like the young Sarah Fairchild, it was a truly daunting obstacle. Not only were her personal circumstances special, but she had to leave home to go to school. Not to another city, or even another state, but to another country. Across the ocean to Europe where the university of her choice resided. Several times leading up to leaving for school she had nearly backed out. It was easy to talk herself out of it. With her anxiety, all of her fears would pile up and exaggerate themselves until she was simply too scared to budge. Despite that, here she was in England setting foot on the campus for the first time.

The Campus was alive with activity that day. No classes were in session and a massive campus-wide event was underway, celebrating the start of a new year and welcoming new students. She stood nervously in a pair of blue jeans and a dark green sweater. A messenger bag was slung over her shoulder. Her bright green eyes were covered by thick dark rimmed glasses. Her naturally wavy red hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, save for some hair left free to frame her face and bangs above her eyes. She walked about the campus, looking around at all the festivities in awe, but much too nervous to approach or interact with anyone. Suddenly her stomach rumbled. Her hand fell to her stomach. "Oh, right..." She hadn't eaten since before leaving the states. She drew in a deep breath, pushing herself to overcome her social anxiety. She turned around and began walking towards the more dense crowds of students. Finally, her eyes settled on a long table with multiple food items prepared and a few students helping prepare dishes. She exhaled a heavy breath before approaching the counter. "H-hi there." She greeted the student on the other side. "Um... I'm Sarah. I just got here." She said, holding her hand out respectively. As hungry as she was, she wasn't rude.

Fresher's week was always busy. Everyone was meeting everyone else, finding out about the college and each other, and simply having fun. The campus was full to bursting, with native students and internationals from around the world alike. Sam always enjoyed helping out like this, and with so many people it would be exhausting, but the good impressions and memories he would help create would be hugely beneficial. Sam stood slightly above the crowd with his 5'11" frame, messy brown hair and neatly trimmed sideburns. Comfy jeans, a t-shirt with some witty logo was hidden behind a Student Union logo'd chef's apron. Sam was currently helping at one of the food stalls, his homemade baked goods strewn liberally across the trestle table alongside hot foods and an abundance of soft drinks, paper plates and plastic cups were disappearing by the second.

A broad smile was plastered across his face, welcoming new, returning and old students alike with hot food, tasty sweets and cold drinks, perfect for the day's weather. The sun beat down heavily, with a cool breeze doing its best cool people down.

As another burger was handed out, a girl walked up to the table, looking like one of the many lost students wandering around. "Hello to you too, Sarah. I'm Sam, a pleasure to make your acquaintance!" The elaborate language was met with an elbow jab from the chubby girl working alongside him.

"Before I can let you dive into the magnificent feast you see before you, would you like to answer a few questions?" At this, he leaned in, the girl from before looking grumpy behind him, and whispered "We find it helps people to introduce themselves more easily. So, where are you from, what are you studying, do you have a place to live, and do you have any hobbies?" The last question was given with a gesture at the banners arrayed around the square, with stalls from different societies, groups and clubs gathered beneath them.

Sarah couldn't help the small but nervous smile when met with Sam's enthusiastic and friendly energy. As he leaned in closer whispering, she withdrew a little. She breathed out a heavy sigh, nodding softly. She looked around when he gestured, looking at all the different clubs and things. She wasn't sure if she had it in her to join a club. It would certainly test her social anxiety. "O-okay. Um... Like I said, I'm Sarah. I'm from the States. Boston specifically. I'm studying Psychology, Library Sciences, and Gender and Sexuality studies. I don't really have a place to live yet, admittedly. I'm probably going to have to apply for a dorm room. And um... I like camping, board games, video games, and reading." She picked up a paper plate and plastic cup from the table, smiling at him softly. "W-what about you?" She asked, assuming it best to return the questions. It would be nice to have at least one friend in another country.

His energy level was certainly contagious and already made her feel a little more at ease in these foreign surroundings. "So, did you make some of this stuff?" She asked, looking at all of the food spread out on the table. She assumed that he had some kind of greater responsibility on campus than just being a student if he was here, helping with the festivities. Surely he was part of some kind of welcoming committee or some other student association.

Slowly she began placing things on her plate. A burger, some chips, and pouring herself a glass of lemonade. She intentionally left free space on her plate so that she could try some of the things that Sam had made.

"Well, I'm from a little village in Norfolk, here in the UK, I study English Language and Teaching, only for one year so far, though, I'm set up as an RA in the north dorms, and I enjoy all kinds of games, hiking, and there's a workshop club I really enjoy." As Sam responded, a careful eye was kept on her body language. The hunch of chronic shyness was relaxed, and she slowly became more cheerful. "Well, this week is the best time to join clubs and stuff, they do their best to make everyone welcome and ease them in!"

Sarah's question made Sam a little bashful, his modesty coming to the fore. "Well, I did some of the baking, the sweeter stuff..." The other girl from earlier interjected "Don't downplay yourself, Sam! He did most of the baked good on this table, actually." A sweep of her hand revealed flapjacks, chocolate brownies, macaroons, scones, cakes, biscuits and an array of petit fours in little paper cups.

"Well, you know I don't want to make the others look bad... ah, I would personally recommend some of the lemon drizzle cake, it a family recipe. Anyway, how are you doing, Sarah? Need some help learning the place? I can tell you straight away, the room numbering system is a complete nightmare, and everyone complains about it."

One of her comments from earlier leapt to mind, however, and Sam rose to the occasion. "Wait wait wait, you don't even have a place to stay? Hang on just a mo... Karen, do you mind if I go and help the newbie?" "Hah, knock yourself out, choirboy."

Sam untied his apron, and stepped out from behind the stall, unnoticing of his looming presence. "Alright. So, any preferences? North is generally cheaper, with the towers, and there's some nicer flats set up where I am as well. South is more recently built and much nicer, but it's way more expensive, and further from the shops and the rest of campus."

Sarah listened with a small smile on her face as he talked about himself. She stifled a small giggle when the other girl called him out for his modesty. She happily reached for one of the lemon drizzle cakes when he suggested it. "It sounds wonderful." Her smile fell away when he brought up her living situation. She nodded softly in response. She looked up at him thankfully when he offered to help. She shrunk into herself a bit when she noticed he was a bit taller than her. "W-well, I'm not sure what I can afford yet. I'm supposed to be starting a part time job on campus next week at a bookstore cafe." I was going to rely on that to pay for my room. "North sounds more realistic, sounds closer to work too."

She finally allowed herself to start eating some of the food she had gathered, eating her burger first. "If you're an RA in the north dorms, that means you'd be close by, right? It would be nice to have a friend." She looked back to her plate eating quietly. It was scary enough living in a different country, doubly so doing so alone. "So, you're an RA, and you're in a workshop club, do you do anything else around campus?" She asked, interested in continuing the friendly conversation. "For my part, I'll be interning at the library as well. It's why I took Library sciences. I want to be a librarian one day." She moved on from her burger to the lemon drizzle cake, taking a bite. Her eyes widened for a moment before a happy smile spread across her features. "The cake is delicious!" She said happily, trying her best not to talk with her food in her mouth.

"Actually, since you ask, I started this thing for helping people too drunk to get back home or take care of themselves. The Night Watchmen! You might see a poster or two around campus, especially near the bars and the campus clubs."

A twitch of the lips at the obvious delight with the cake crossed Sam's face. He started to guide them both northwards, along the park and past the towering library. "Well, to start with, I think we'd best head on up to the Accomodation office. They know what they're doing. I think they have some sort of payment scheme which lets you pay later, like the first two months paid between those two months, or something like that. Might be worth checking out."

As they wandered along, Sam's brow furrowed in heavy thought. The park beside them gave way to a wide lake, with people paddling across in some sort of kayaking competition, and a group on the other side doing... were they fire-eating? And juggling? Eurgh, peoples limbs are not meant to bend that way. "Ah, that's the circus club. They have a lot of fun, but their parties are a bit... lackluster."

"Now, let's think... there are a few free rooms, we run on a gender-neutral thing, but are very hard on people who abuse the system. My roommate moved out to be with his boyfriend last year, we've got Annie, Andrew, Roland, Terrence, Philip, and they all have a free bed available. Of course, the best part of a shared room is you get to split the bills."

As they got further along, a harried-looking matronly lady rushed up to them from one of the single storey buildings. "Oh Sam, we've had three complaints about loud music, and someone managed to get up onto the roof. Do us a favor dear, and see if you can get him down for us will you?" "Of course Mrs Harrison. Is the ladder still in the same place?" A swift nod saw Sam galloping off the save the skinny lad perched above the drainpipes. "Now my dear, you look lost. Where are you staying?"

Sarah was about to speak about Sam's activities, wanting to voice her admiration for his Night Watchmen program. It was a classy and thoughtful move. When he spoke of the gender neutral system she was even more relieved. Still, in her situation, she would have to hope for an understanding roommate if she did decide to pair up to save money. She was about to voice her concerns, effectively explaining everything to her first real friend here. Before she had the opportunity, they were approached and he had to run off to rescue someone else, leaving her feeling quite un-rescued and alone. She raised her hand as he left. "W-wait..." She mumbled softly to herself. Hearing the woman speak she turned to face her. Her body once again adopting her shy body language, unsure of talking to strangers. "H-hi there..." She smiled a little, nervously looking the woman over. "Mrs. Harrison, was it? Um... I'm Sarah. Sarah Fairchild. I only just arrived from the States. So, I am a little lost. I um... I'm not staying anywhere just yet. Sam was helping me get situated."

"The North dorms are closer to where I'll be working and more affordable so it seemed more realistic. Sam was going to help me make the necessary arrangements." Her gaze fell, as she shuffled her feet back and forth a little, clearly uncomfortable. "I um... I don't suppose there's an office I can visit and wait for Sam. I would like to look over the necessary paperwork and make a more informed decision." She finally looked up at Mrs. Harrison. She did her best to appear friendly and confident. Even if she clearly wore her nerves on her sleeve.

"Of course, my dear. I've got the kettle on at the moment actually, we do our best to make sure nobody's living out of a cardboard box. It's very good of Sam to be helping, but he really needs to do some things for himself more often..." So saying, and with a gentle motherly smile, she led the way over to a moveable cabin perched on the grass off to the side. As they walked inside, Mrs Harrison kept up the conversation while checking the kettle. "Tea, dear? Anyway, we do indeed have a few vacancies available at the moment..." She fished out a laminated binder from one of the cupboards, gesturing to a generic not-too-comfy chair next to the coffee table.

A few flips later, and she quickly confirmed what Sam had already said, with six separate people with rooms to spare. Some details, however, were more helpful. Terrence was apparently part of three different sports teams, Annie was apparently a serious gamer, Roland was rarely present, and some suspicions of Andrew dealing drugs were levelled, but no evidence found. They soon began chatting over details, and an example contract was brought out. The delayed payment section was roughly as Sam had remembered, but only for students who were working on campus, or other approved employers. Lump payments paid for year-round utilities, and the rent prices were modest enough for student-level living.

Ten minutes later, tea poured and some biscuits offered, and Sam finally returned, bedraggled, with twigs in his hair. "Kevin should be fine now, but we really should get some safety locks for the windows. Ah! Sarah, how are you doing? I trust Mrs Harrison hasn't said anything too bad about me, hehe. Any thoughts about accomodation yet? Do you want to meet the people with available rooms?"

Sarah was happy to take the offered seat, looking through the information that Mrs. Harrison provided. While Terrence and Annie seemed easy enough to get along with, she was worried about other, arguably more important concerns. She was relieved to find that the payment system was quite agreeable, especially given it would take a little time before she started making money at her job. She sat, enjoying the tea that was brought to her, looking up in surprise when Sam joined them. She breathed out a sigh of relief. She gave a small chuckle at his disheveled appearance. "Only that you don't take care of yourself enough. Speaking of which..." She stood, approaching him. "Here, hold still." She began carefully plucking twigs from his hair.

She stepped back, smiling softly up at him. "There, that's better." When he mentioned meeting the people with open rooms, she bit her lip nervously. "I um..." She looked from Sam to Mrs. Harrison for a moment. "I have some other concerns that might affect who I can room with. For safety reasons, really." She knew that realistically she would need to have a roommate to afford everything, even if being alone was more ideal. "But, um... I haven't talked about it with other people for a long time. Can I trust you two?" She remembered that Sam had quite casually revealed his former roommate to be gay and seemed fine with it, so she was confident at least that he would be at least a little understanding.

"Oh! Uh, thanks, Sarah, I honestly didn't notice those." Sam was obviously embarrassed by having her step so close and looking after his wellbeing so.

As Sarah spoke, Sam's expression grew serious. Safety concerns? "Sarah, if you're worried for your safety, of course you can trust us. We're here to help, and we promise we won't tell anyone what your concerns are." Sam was worried. Did Sarah have an ex who stalked her? A family who disapproved of her life choices? They had had a student almost kidnapped when their family wanted them to continue on the family farm instead of learn for themselves. Now that was a nerve-wracking couple of weeks, until the rugby team stepped up to protect him.

Sarah sighed, moving to sit back down. She placed her hands in her lap, looking down at them for a long moment. "I um... I don't know how different things are here, but back in the states things can be pretty hard for someone in my situation. Lots of harassment, violence, and sometimes death. You see it's just that um... I'm transgender." She closed her eyes, braced for the worst. "Back home... You just um... You never could tell with people. People you thought would be caring and supportive might turn out to be callous or dangerous." She looked up again finally, taking in a deep breath. "I've been taking hormone replacement therapy for a couple years now, but um... I haven't had the actual surgery yet. You can see why that makes roommate situations scary, I'm sure."

Her gaze fell to her lap again, unsure what she could really say in addition to that. No matter how complicated her life was, the issues really did boil down to that simple of an explanation.

As Sarah went through her list of experience, Sam only grew more tense, expecting... who knows? Her final words, however made them both relax. "I'm transgender." Sam was almost shocked that she had had those experiences in America of all places. Places like the middle east were traditionally hugely strictly against the LGBTQ community, but...

As Sam and Mrs Harrison visibly sat back in their seats, Sam spoke up. "Well, fortunately for you, England is actually one of the most tolerant countries in the world, and LGBTQ rights and acceptance have had huge leaps forwards, especially in the last couple of decades. Universities here are as much a place of learning your course, as they are a place to learn about yourself, who you are, what you want, and what you can do.

"I mean, sure, not everyone is going to want to, say, have a relationship with you, but people are generally very tolerant of... just about everything, honestly. If you're worried about finding a housemate who accepts you, I'd be perfectly happy to accept you into my own flat, and if you want to move out after finding someone else, then so be it."

Sarah's entire body visibly relaxed when both Sam and Mrs Harrison reacted like it wasn't a big deal. As Sam described what life was like in England it was like he was describing some sort of fairytale wonderland to her. The idea that she might be able to simply exist here as a normal human being was incredible to think about. It was possible she could even have real friends, maybe even a relationship. When Sam invited her to live with him she was floored by the unbelievably kind gesture.

She simply stared at him in wide-eyed surprise for a few short moments. "I... I... Um..." She shook her head, forcing herself to take a deep breath. "Thankyou both so much..." She managed to finally say. "Are you sure? I wouldn't want to impose on you." She looked down at her lap, her fingers meshing together. "Obviously I have a job, I can help with other stuff too, not just rent. Food, internet, whatever." She didn't want it to seem like she would just be leeching off of Sam.

Sam watched Sarah relax with visible relief, glad that her problem wasby far improved simply by moving to a different country. He felt sorry for her though, as she felt as if she was starved for affection, and had few friends, especially back home. A solid resolve to help and support her grew within him, until she could stand on her own.

"Ha, of course not! I'd be glad to have you about, you've struck me as a kind, hard-working, if a little shy, person, and there's nothing wrong. For the first month, though, I'll pay for the bills, but if you feel you need to, you can pay me back later in the year. Right, so um, Mrs Harrison? Do you have a copy of the accomodation contract?"

While she's getting that, a few questions about your habits. How often do you think you'll drink, smoke, go partying, etcetera? Do you want specific lights out or quiet hours, and how do you want food and cooking stuff to be shared? Of course, it's a lot easier for me to cook for two than for one, but if you want to sort your own food, then that's just fine too."

Sarah smiled, nodding as he spoke about the payment arrangements. When he asked about her activities and such, her smile disappeared for only a moment. "I don't do much drinking and I don't smoke. Too much alcohol interferes with the hormone medications. I don't really know anybody, so I don't think I'll be partying or anything. Besides, crowds and noise make me kind of uncomfortable." She shook her head when thinking about curfew and such. "I'm not really worried about lights out or quiet time. You don't really seem like the late night party type anyway."

At the mention of preparing food, she smiled again, remembering the cake that Sam had made. "I don't mind helping prepare meals or do the shopping. It'll be kind of nice to eat with someone else than by myself anyway." When the paperwork was finally presented, she set about reading through so she could sign. "Wh-what about you? Anything I can do to make the arrangement better for you?" She finally started signing the papers, smiling a little wider as she did so. It was a huge relief to know she had a place to stay, especially with someone as kind and patient as Sam.

"Well, at least you don't smoke. Some people just stink up wherever they live, ugh. Er, easier for me? Hmm, let's see. Okay, so no, er, loud music after, say 10PM maybe? We can sort food shopping together, just put a list up on the fridge, put the receipt on there when we've done the shopping so we can share the costs... I may ask you to help with the baking from time to time, maybe you can learn some yourself. Uh, showers - please don't use them for too long, the water bill can get expensive otherwise. Ah, and I almost always get up at 6:30, so maybe ablutions before or after that." Sam tapped his chin, wondering whether there was anything he had forgotten.

"Aha! The clubs! Well, if you want to sign (or not) that contract, I'd love to introduce you to some of the clubs and societies around, help you make some new friends. I can't be your only source of social contact, of course." A small chuckle as the corner of Sam's mouth turned up.

After another moment she set the pen down, double checking the forms to make sure she had signed everything. She gave a nod at Sam's request. "That sounds fair. I'd love to learn how to bake like you." At the mention of clubs, she notably became a little nervous. She knew he was right. She should try to get out and make new friends. How hard could it be? Especially with Sam making the arrangements. Besides, she wasn't in the states, she didn't have to worry about people being blatantly hateful around here. "Um... I wasn't really in any back home... But sure, I don't mind checking out some of the clubs and stuff." Hopefully, she would have time between school, her job, and interning at the library.

She stood up turning to Mrs Harrison. "Thank you so much for all your help." She looked back to her new friend and now roommate. "I suppose you have to go back and help with the festival again, huh?" She didn't want to keep him from his other responsibilities he had already done so much for her.

"Back to the stall? Nah, I'm done for the morning. We have a duty rotation, and I'm only needed at about four this afternoon. I did mention this is going on all week, right?" A gesture, and they started slowly walking back to the main squares, slightly less packed with people than they were earlier, but still heaving. Sam was feeling really good about himself, helping people was why he volunteered, after all.

A short wander onwards, and the stalls beckoned once again. Sam could still remember Sarah's preferred activites, and guided her to the climbing and walking club, noticeable mostly through ropes, carabiners, and a tent set up off to the side. As they walked, he mused quietly to himself.

Anime and manga club? Perhaps, she likes reading... Ah, the roleplaying club would be a perfect fit, he could introduce some of his friends, maybe recruit a new player. Maybe... hmm, perhaps the e-sports, but maybe that's not her kind of gaming.

His internal thoughts were cut off as they arrived in front of the first stall set around the square

Sarah followed next to Sam as the walked back to the center of activity on campus. She looked about at the various clubs that were set up to attract new members. Admittedly, she was more closely examining the individuals rather than the activities, trying to gauge whether or not they were the kind of people she would feel comfortable associating with. She was also snapped out of her daze when the arrived at the first booth. "Uh... Ah... H-hi!" She stumbled through a greeting, embarrassed by her mindless wandering. She looked over at Sam, more to make sure that she hadn't lost him in her absent-mindedness.

"I um... I'm Sarah, I'm kind of new... Obviously." She said, looking off to the side for a moment. "Sam's helping me find some clubs to join." She looked around at the various things they had on display. She had always been into the outdoors, but the idea of doing so with a group of others was strange. It was usually her method of finding solitude. But the whole point of this was to get her out of that solitude and make friends.

The Hiking club was much busier this year, a gaggle of giggling girls moving away from the stall-minder. "Ah, James, how are you? How are the fish biting?" Was Sam's greeting to what seemed like a slab of muscle stuffed into a t-shirt. A surprisingly light voice was the response. "Sam, hey, doing good. As for the little fishies, we've had plenty sign up, but I can honestly tell that a lot of them just want the eye-candy."

A minor flex of his muscles had his shirt strain slightly, and one of the girls off to the side had her mouth obviously hanging open. "Heh, don't break their illusions too hard now, James. I remember, oh, whats her name, that stalker girl you had last year? Amanda, that was it. You're going to break a few more hearts if you're not careful, man, you know Philip doesn't like that. Anyway, this is Sarah, she's just moved over from the States, and apparently she likes her camping too. Do you want to give her the pitch, mate?"

James rubbed his hands together, and spoke. "Alright Sarah, nice to meet you. So, this club sets out one overnight trip a month, on weekends, and we organise a long walk and camping skills session on alternate wednesday afternoons." "Oh yeah, Wednesday afternoons are always free for clubs and sports stuff" Interjected Sam.

"Right, right, so a few different ones, including for people who build up to longer walks, marathons, that sort of thing. One to four hours for the hikes, we tend to walk out in the countryside to the east, 'cos the main city is off to the west and all boring. Weekend trips we take a bit of a road trip, drive an hour or two out. Sometimes we go north, up to Norfolk or Suffolk, sometimes we head out to the New Forest south of London. Some nice walks around those parts. We also do a big group thing for a week at the end of the year, we head off to somewhere a bit further, like the lake district or cornwall with a big group. Some partying, some walking, some tourism too. There should be something you feel like doing."

It was hard for Sarah to disguise her own awe at seeing how fit James was. Of course, if he was involved in such a physical club it made sense. When he flexed she had to suppress an urge to reach out and touch his arm to feel his bicep. She listened as James and Sam spoke, clearly friends. The second that this Philip was mentioned, Sarah stopped ogling the more muscular student. It was hardly appropriate to look at a taken individual with such eyes. She looked back to Sam with visible gratitude when he still referred to her as 'she' and 'her'. Her lips spread in a genuine smile as James spoke about the club activities. It certainly seemed like her kind of club, especially with the idea of monthly camping trips. Tourism sounded attractive as well. It would be nice to get to know the country that would be her home for the next long while.

"It's very nice to meet you." She greeted honestly, though shyly. "It sounds like a lot of fun. It would definitely be nice to familiarize myself with the country too." She said finally, looking between him and Sam for a moment. "I haven't gone camping in a long time, though. And all my things are back home." Not that she had actually gotten to go camping in a couple years anyway. "I would have to pick up some new equipment after I get my first paycheck." She continued speaking like she had already agreed to sign up. No one said she could only have one club anyway, and camping was one of her passions in the first place. "I would love to join. Like, actually join. Not just follow and drool over a handsome guy in the woods once in a while." She said with a small chuckle, glancing back towards the other girls who clearly had other hopes for James.

Back
Top Bottom