Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Crowded [Davian_Veq and Sigr]

Sigr

Magenta Goon
White picket fences passed by in a blur as the taxi moved along, that ubiquitous piece of Americana making that particular coastal suburb no different than any other in a different part of the country. The houses lined up perfectly along the lane, pastel colors on the calm afternoon, sparse citizens coming and going in and out of view as their lives barely grazed her own. Taylor was coming home, or at least the only place left that could be called home at least, an enormous house looming at the very end of the lane. Her father's wedding with Laura happened almost a month ago, weeks had passed since that half remembered day. Sure Taylor was of age to drink, no one doubted that, but she regretted having a couple of glasses after those pills for the air sickness she took on her trip. They made what few alcohol she drank hit hard, and barely remembered a thing.

Why didn't she just ordered water? She had to see her father happy for the first time in a long while, maybe that was it? She was supposed to be the strong one, at least compared to her father, but it was still weird. Not finding someone to share the life with. Not the marriage with a divorced woman. But... why did she had to have children? They were so many and she had met them briefly during the banquet, but she had been drinking by then and barely remembered anything. This was going to be awkward. At least her things were supposed to be on a room of that suburban palace by now, so she could travel light and not worry about that. The taxi finally reached the place, a thing that dwarfed the other houses, already big by themselves in height and length. How many people lived there? If only she could remember...

After paying for the taxi, Taylor made to the door across the front garden. The place couldn't be cheap, not at all, but as far as she knew Laura was one of the best lawyers of the state, if not the best, and it was obvious that she had money to spare. Before she could ring the bell, some shouting coming from the inside stopped her. "I don't care! This is ridiculous!" a boyish voice came from the inside, clearly angry as the owner opened the door wide. He froze for a moment, lime green eyes eyeing Taylor over. He was, by the general outlook, a couple of years younger than her, clad in some torn jeans and a The Hives tee, his dyed red short hair flowing in all directions. "She's here!" he shouted back before hitting her with the shoulder on his way out. The boy went into the backyard, and soon a black convertible, as noisy and boisterous as the young man himself darted away.

"I'm sorry for that, Gareth doesn't mean bad it's just... difficult" a serene voice from the inside got her attention. A young man that looked several years older than her was standing there, strangely clad in some comfy clothes and a white apron. His warm smile was as welcoming as the smell of freshly baked cookies that seemed to come from the inside, deep moss green eyes and his blonde hair tied in a long ponytail on the back. "You must be Taylor, I'm glad to finally meet you, I'm Chris" he said, offering a hand to shake. Finally, he said. Did he miss the wedding then? If only she could remember... "Don't stand there, come inside, it's your home after all" he said, the mere notion sounding absurd for the time being.

After staggering from his barge, Taylor had turned, eyes wide, at Gareth's dramatic exit, but his elder brother's words made her quickly turned back, an embarrassed blush on her cheeks as Chris's large hand engulfed her own. She may have been skittish, but Chris had a calm, gentle air about him. One awkward handshake later, and Taylor plucked up the courage to use her own voice.

"Um, it's nice to meet you too! I'm sure he's not a bad person."
Taylor hiked up her backpack, and took her first step inside. Her home... Such a strange idea, after college's cramped apartments. To her surprise, a small room filled with boots and shoes was where she first stepped into, followed by... It took Taylor's breath away. A huge entrance hall, with two staircases curling up to an impressive balcony, a pair of grand double doors closed shut at the centre, and entrances to the two grand wings of the house leading off at the sides. There was even a chandelier! Who had a chandelier in this day and age? A light cough brought her out from her thoughts, and she glanced at Chris, his head cocked to one side as he watched her gawk at the ostentatious room.

Taylor could tell that Chris was looking her over, her 5'9" height holding her higher than many of her peers who needed heels to even match her. Taylor's pride and joy, her long brown curly hair obscured her glasses slightly, hiding her light grey eyes. Taylor's hand moved automatically upwards, tucking it back behind her ears. The climate was warmer than she was used to, and a strappy top kept her arms and neck cool, while sensible jeans adorned her legs.

"Would you mind showing me to my room? Oh, unless you're busy with your baking. I'm sure I can find my way!" A few steps towards the stairs took her away from the awkward situation, but a quick glance over her shoulder showed Chris keeping pace with her. "So, what do you do, other than baking?" She rapidly continued, attempting to conceal her own nervousness behind small talk, still intimidated by the sheer size of her surroundings.

If Gareth had been rude and smaller than the tall girl, Chris was a match for her, at least when height was concerned, and sure a more welcoming one. "I know. It's too much, right?" he asked with a warm smile, seeing how Taylor took in the luxury and sometimes dizzying scale of the place. "You'll get accustomed to it, I hope" added, checking the clock on his wrist, a detail that Taylor seemed to catch in. "I'm sorry, it's just that I have another batch of cookies in the oven that need tending, didn't expect you so soon" Chris apologized with small laugh. "I wish I had time for anything else but bake, as I have a bakery of my own. I love it though" he explained, a shine in those deep eyes of his made his words ring true. "I'll bring you some when they are done!" he waved his hand, disappearing to one of the corridors of the house.

All of a sudden, the mansion seemed too big and empty, the noise that welcomed her dying down. In that silence, a note of violin could be heard from upstairs, a part of a piece repeated over and over, as if someone was practicing. Taylor then knew that the rooms were that way, or at least they had to be. Left alone to find her way, she followed the music to a corridor full of doors, the melody coming for a door ajar. Peeking inside Taylor was surprised seeing a young girl playing the violin, a blonde beauty that was perfecting her art with her eyes closed. Her delicate hands didn't seem to strip notes from the instrument, but borrow them to enjoy the sound for a brief time before returning them back. Dressed in fluffy pink shorts and a top, her slender figure waved in with the music. Who was she? Weren't all her brothers... well, boys?

The magic got interrupted when what sounded like an stampede echoed through the corridor, the cause just visible for a split second before he tackle hugged Taylor, only her height preventing him to bring her down to the ground. "Sister!" the tiny voice screamed down below, belonging to a small blonde boy with short hair and grass green eyes that looked happily up to her. The noise alerted the girl, who looked wide eyed with emerald green eyes to Taylor, before slamming her door shut. "Ooops" the boy said, "we interrupted Alice. Sorry Alice!" he shouted wanting to reach through the door. "You'll met her later, let me show you! Your room is over here!" the little boy seemed around fifteen and full of energy, eager to show her around even if she didn't seem to remember him not his name.

Chris spoke so gently, was the first impression, with a twinkle in his eye and a smile never far from his face. "I'm sure I'll love it soon enough, thank you... brother. And I'd love to taste test them for you!" A small smile crept into the corner of Taylor's mouth, a happy feeling slowly creeping across her at Chris's friendly ways and expressive gestures.

In the open room, Taylor's mouth hung open. The prodigy before her was quite enchanting, showing an amazing gift for her art that had Taylor wishing she had any musical talent herself. Her confusion was slowly mounting at who she was? The high-speed interruption, however, almost gave her whiplash as her eyes met those of the startled girl. The energetic 15-year old whisked her away, still booted and with her heavy backpack. "Thanks a bunch, kid." She replied, in a comparatively subdued manner, yet with a smile growing steadily on her face. "Can you just remind me your name? I'm terrible at remembering that kind of stuff."

While he answered the slightly awkward question, Taylor walked up to the doorway, grasped the handle and opened the door he had led her to.

Her room was beyond. Her room! She didn't have to share a pokey room with another girl, instead she had... she had... "Woah. I mean. Wow." Despite her astonishment at the size of the entrance hall, Taylor was shocked at the size of the room given to her.
A walk-in wardrobe in one corner. Three sets of bookshelves covering one of the walls. A king-sized bed filling most of one corner. An amazing view, with a balcony. And... a pile of cardboard boxes, presumably full of her stuff. "Thanks a lot, little brother!" Punctuated with an expansive hug which surprised even herself. Rapidly divesting herself of her load, and slipping off her boots (taking a moment to wriggle her feet in the soft carpet), Taylor walked back out of her room with a spring in her step. "So, want to show me around? I'd love to see what else we have here, and meet the others again!"

"I'm Bobby, no wonder you don't remember, you looked sick at the wedding" the kid said, giving it no importance. "I'm happy to see you better now, sis. Can I call you sis?" he looked up at her, enormous eyes out of a Pixar movie. "Here it is!" he made a gesture with his hands, showing her the room, entering behind her. "Matt didn't know what you liked so he tried to keep it... what was the word for it..." Bobby frowned, talking about who possibly was yet another of his brothers, "minimalist, that was it, and low key or whatever" he shook his head. Taylor seemed to like the place as she hugged Bobby, something the kid received with a bright smile. "The rooms have their own bath too, anything you need... ask Chris I guess" he shrugged, seemingly accustomed to depend on his big brother.

"Oh! Of course!" Bobby got out of the room following Taylor. "Gareth is angry and I don't know where he is, Chris probably opened the door for you, Alice won't be happy after interrupting her and Matt is at work, I think" Bobby counted with one hand, seemingly including himself. "The rest... will be around there somewhere. Maybe" he shrugged. It certainly couldn't be easy to keep track of everyone in such a family, specially when that mansion seemed unending. "Since you are here we'll probably be together for dinner, otherwise we normally are more scattered" he admitted, guiding her downstairs. "The second floor are mostly rooms" he commented, "and most of the fun is down in the back" continued moving around the house as second nature, but making any newcomer feel lost.

"I know!" he said out of a sudden, more twists and turns, ending up in what it had to be part of the back of the house. An Olympic sized indoor pool, separated off the back garden by a transparent paneling, was there as it wasn't a big deal, with a young man getting out of the water as he saw them.

"Bobby!" he greeted. "Is that Taylor?" he removed the swimming glasses he was wearing, blinking a couple times. "Taylor!" he recognized her, closing the distance. The boy seemed slightly younger than her, around nineteen years old, around her height with short wet blonde hair stuck to his head. He was wearing nothing else than some swimming briefs and his muscular body was dripping water and at plain view. "Come here!" he hugged her, suddenly realizing that he hadn't dried himself before. "Oh! Ah! Sorry!" he blushed, looking to a side with his mint green eyes, reaching for a towel and giving it to her.

"You have the brain of a fish, David" Bobby said, making his voice deeper as if he was impersonating someone.

"Please don't, the world doesn't need a second Michael" David gestured with a nervous smile. "How was the trip? Have you settled in yet? We didn't expect you until later" he said, dripping down water while wearing some glorified underwear without a care in the world. "Again, I'm sorry for the water. We are happy to have you here" he said honestly, even if it was apparent that there was no way such a thing could be true.

"Of course you can, Bobby. So long as I can call you my little brother, too!" A giggle was the adorable response from the kid.

Soon, Taylor was led through some sort of maze. What sort of house needed this many corridors? Was it some old converted mansion? These questions went unasked and unanswered, as her new brother's continuous stream of words barely let her get a word in edgeways. After navigating their way through, the amazing pool lay before them. As yet another brother rose from the pool, a shameful blush rose on Taylor's face at the amazingly muscled body revealed before her. Her mouth went dry, as a mental chorus of he's so hot but he's my brother went through her mind.

"Oh, hi!" Was almost squeaked out, before the damp hug engulfed her in strong dripping arms. David quickly withdrew, but Taylor did not notice that his dampness had soaked her short white top through, giving her athletic brother an almost unrestricted view of her pert breasts and hardening nipples. When Taylor took the towel from him, she finally had cause to glance downwards, her face flushing rapidly, and quickly wrapping the towel around herself. Her gaze snapped back up to David, who wiped a small grin off his face so quickly she questioned it was there. She was only glad that Bobby was standing off to the side, reminded of his prescence when he spoke in what seemed to be an impression of someo... oh, Michael. Whichever one that was.

"Um, nice to meet you again, David." She replied, trying desperately to get past the embarrassing moment, "I can't wait to get to know you all!"

"Ah, the trip was fine, just a boring plane flight and taxi ride. Just dumped my stuff in my room, and Bobby here *punctuated with a hair ruffle* is showing me around! What I'm really loving is seeeing you all again, and this amazing house. I'm delighted there's a pool actually, I haven't really had a chance to swim much recently. But as much as I'd love to stay and chat, I think Bobby wants to continue the tour." And sure enough, he was doing that strange hopping from one foot to the other, raring to go. A last whisper to David "Does he ever slow down? He's so energetic I can barely beleive it."

Even the clueless David was able to notice the unforeseen effects of his wet hug, his mind racing a thousand miles per hour before averting his eyes. Were those her...? Why didn't see wear a bra? It's your sister now! Did Bobby notice? In the end he couldn't help but smile, as it all was a consequence of his clumsiness, but he tried to erase that grin as soon as possible, so Taylor wouldn't think weird about him in the very first day. "Well, knowing us all it will take you a while, that's for sure! Ha, ha" David nervously welcomed the fast answer and the tales about her trip, leaving the embarrassing moment behind. At least he had enough presence of mind to not get hard with her new step sister in front of his little brother, as in that swimsuit it would be impossible to hide. "Stopping? Tell me if he does, it would be a first" David laughed honestly this time, as she seemed to be handling the changes way better than he expected.

"Come on, come on, come on" Bobby nagged, eager to show Taylor everything at once, moving across the house paying more attention to her than to where he headed to. That hyperactive lack of attention was what made him stumble with someone that eerily looked like a dressed and bespectacled version of David, albeit with shoulder length hair.

"Welcome, Taylor. I see by your face that you have already met my fish brained twin. I'm Michael" he commented, looking playfully at her. He was wearing some sober looking black pants and a loose untucked white shirt, a button or two lazily unfastened on both top and bottom. Now she could see that Bobby's impersonation was spot on, but hearing the haughty tone coming from the appropriate man was another thing entirely. "Hmm" Michael got awfully close, and as David they were about her height, give or take. His midnight green eyes looked inside her silver ones, as if he could peek inside. "You are beautiful" he said, unabashed and unashamed. "These eyes, the hair... it's, inspirational. You look like the perfect protagonist for my next tale" he backed off as suddenly as he closed in. "I was headed to the library, most of my brothers don't have a taste for literature, so it's a calm place to write" Michael adjusted his glasses, unable to avoid looking smug in the process. "Care to join?" he offered, ambivalent, sounding interested on Taylor coming, but also as if wasn't a big deal.

"But the game room! And Chris was making cookies!" Bobby protested the interference with his tour, pouting.

Taylor was rather embarrassed. After all, who would want to be caught braless and soaked, especially in front of her brothers? As David looked away, Taylor was glad at how gentlemanly he had been with such an embarrassing accident, able to laugh with her about the rest of her new family so easily, with most of them being friendly and welcoming so far.

Running across Michael, however, was less pleasant. As much as his cultured words and smarter dress said otherwise, all Taylor could think about was how he was eying her up, like a piece of meat just for him and his stories. Taylor was sure she would have to be careful around him, the act of superiority, casual compliments and dismissive attitude felt inviting, yet with a noticeable hint of creepiness. With a carefully schooled expression however, Taylor took care not to recoil from his inspection, or to let her feelings reach her body language and expression.

"As much as I would be delighted to browse the library, I believe Bobby hasn't finished showing me around yet. Another time, Michael." At her dismissive words, Michael only shrugged, and sauntered off to a doorway they had already passed.

Taylor waited until she heard the door click closed, and then whispered to Bobby - "Is he that intense all the time? Anyway, I'd love to see the games room! Shall we head there now and get some cookies, or are there any other places you want to show me, little bro?"

"Yeah, but I didn't think he would be like that with our sister" Bobby said, looking down and fidgeting. "He won't let me read them, but Alice told me that he writes... naughty books" he added with a blush. He was fifteen already, but he looked so more childish in those moments. Wait, didn't Michael said that she was perfect as a protagonist? What was he going to write about her? She could just thought of his confident smirk as she dismissed him. Despite that, the proposal to continue the tour cleared the mood, as Bobby's innocent outlook was refreshing after meeting the twins in such ways.

"This is the games room!" Bobby shouted, pushing yet another one of the doors in. Calling it a games room was an understatement, as arcade machines lined up in a wall, while a pool table, a bowling alley and some other amenities were scattered around the place. It was empty though, something that seemed to bum Bobby a bit. "I thought he would be here... to the kitchen then" he shrugged, as he seemed to be guiding Taylor from brother to brother more than a proper tour of the house. The place was too big for such a thing, and he probably found such a tour boring, just preferring for him to serve as an ambassador of sorts to the rest of their family.

The pair finally reached the kitchen, and now Taylor could see Chris on his environment, setting the warm cookies in a plate. He wasn't alone, as another young man around Taylor's age or maybe a year older was resting his head on the countertop, dressed in some boxer shorts and a half open robe. "Luc!" Bobby greeted, unable to read the situation, making the resting man groan.

"Bobby... please... lower..." he hissed, still not moving.

"Lucas was working until later toni- well, this morning" Chris offered an explanation. "Lucas, this is our sister Taylor" he said with gentle smile.

Lucas groggily turned to look at her, his bottle green eyes tired and slightly red. "Sorry for my... well, sorry state" he managed to say, offering a hand to shake. "I had to host a party for a basketball player at the club, and the things got crazy" he said, half explaining what he did. "I thought you wouldn't be here until dinner, hence my looks" Lucas seemed surprisingly polite given how he looked, his disheveled blonde bangs almost covering his eyes. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to take a long warm shower to wash the job out of me" he excused once everything was said, dragging his feet out and upstairs.

"Oh, before I forget" Chris said. "The keys" she fished a dangling key chain with a metallic 11 and a bunch of keys. Had she met the supposedly ten brothers yet? She didn't really know, but it didn't seem so.

"Well, at least you're here to look after me, huh Bobby?" Taylor's confident words belying the shocked thoughts running through her mind. Smutty stories? Her as a protagonist? One part of her was flattered that someone would think of her like that, but the rest was simply shocked by his statements and the revelation of his writing. Although to be fair, her own little collection of smut was running a little dry, and it might be worth... restocking at some point. Back to her adorable little brother however, who seemed to be puffed up in pride at the compliment.

As impressive as the rest of the house was, Taylor was still gawking at each newly luxurious room she was led to, the games room looking like a lot of fun, sadly empty, but she was just as delighted to be introduced to each of her new brothers in turn. Eh... mostly. The smell of freshly baked cookies wafted outwards, yet as soon as she walked into the kitchen, an experienced eye took in the next brother's disarray, and she winced in sympathy as Bobby's exuberance manifested once more.

"Nice to meet you too Lucas, and don't worry, I've helped my fair share of friends out of similar states to that." She said, gently taking his hand in an informal handshake before he dragged himself back upstairs.

The number eleven had her thinking, Gareth, Chris , Bobby, maybe Alice?, David, Michael (were they twins?) and now Lucas. She remembered hearing the name Matt too, which was up to eight. So, probably two more. Her reverie was interrupted as she took the keys into her hands, and started looking them over. "Ah, keys. I knew I was missing something. So, what is each key for? This one looks like a garage key, but the rest I can barely tell apart!"

"That big one is for the front, the other for the garage, but with the size of the place it has quite a lot of side and back doors..." Chris mumbled. "I organized them like mine. If you hold the one of the front door, the rest are for the doors around the house clockwise as the keys go" he explained, but the system wasn't of much use. "Maybe I should have just tagged them..." he looked down. Bobby was busy munching on cookies as to add anything of his own. "Ah, wait..." he rummaged through a drawer in the kitchen, retrieving another key chain with a remote. "These are for the blue sedan of the garage, it's kind of a spare car" he handled the keys to her. "So feel free to use it, you know to drive, right? If not, just ask around for anyone but Bobby here" he ruffled his hair, Bobby didn't mind and kept himself at the cookies. "They'll take you wherever, at least if they aren't busy" he shrugged.

"Bobby, it's not long until dinner, so stop it" Chris gently reprimanded, Bobby nodding and stopping his voracity. "Here tell me what you think" Chris offered a plate full to Taylor. "Of the cookies and the madness here, of course" he nodded, eager to listen if Taylor had any doubts, questions or worries.

Taylor had this one expression, which she had never seen herself. Her friends, of course, had decided not to embarrass her and kept it to herself. This expression only showed on her face when she was trying very hard to remember something. The confusing explanation about keys most certainly qualifed, and as a result she looked somewhat like a dog who had taken a bite of something they did not like the taste of. Chris, preoccupied with the keys he was fishing out of the drawer, was fortunate enough to miss it, but Bobby was completely nonplussed at the expression.

A few moments later, car keys fished out of the drawer, and Taylor's face returned to something more recognisable - delight. "Oh, a car! My friend let me pass my test in hers, but I've never had the chance to use a car that I own! Or, uh, my family, that is. An offer of a cookie was the icing on the cake, and the crunchy gingery scrumptiousness made a serious impression on Taylor's feeling "Oh may gob! Thefe are juft amazing, Chris! I love you forever, so long as you keep baking. Oh, the madness. Well, David soaked me, Bobby basically pounced me (and is the cutest! *squdges his cheeks*), Michael wanted to discuss literature with me, but I don't know anything about Alice, besides the amazing music. Is she trans, or something else?"

Like a deer frozen looking at a car's headlights, Bobby wasn't even blinking when Taylor tried to process the mere existence of that fistful of keys. It was like he was staring at one of his Where's Waldo books, an unending parade of details that turned Taylor's struggling expression into at art form that never seemed to end. He'd have laughed at the face she made if he wasn't so baffled. As suddenly as it appeared it was gone, and Bobby joined Taylor in that contagious joy of hers. "That way you can take me everywhere!" he was overjoyed, another sibling to bother with his antics, and she seemed nice.

"Hahaha..." Chris blushed a bit, fidgety in front of that enthusiastic compliment. "I'm glad you like them so much" he nodded.

Bobby giggled at the affectionate attention he was getting, definitely liking Taylor a lot.

"David soaked you?" Chris sighed. "He can be a bit clueless, specially when swimming" he added. Chris clearly frowned when Taylor said that Michael wanted to 'discuss literature' with her, but he said nothing else. Maybe he was just being overprotective. "Yeah, you got it right. She's struggling with it, such a thing is never easy, and in a house with all male siblings is probably worse. Please, be understanding with her" Chris said. Even Bobby seemed a bit down, as he had tried to cheer Alice lately, but it was to no avail.

"We'll all gather at dinner, but you only have missed a few of us, let me write you a cheat sheet" Chris smiled, being a bit awkward trying to be too helpful. Taking pen and paper from one of the pockets of the apron, he leaned on the countertop and started to write while he talked.

"Bobby here is the youngest with fifteen" Chris started, writing just the name and age on the paper. "Alan is next with sixteen. I guess you haven't seen Alan?" Chris looked at Bobby as he acted as the guide.

"Nope! I saw the 'streaming' sign on his door before hugging Taylor, so I didn't want to make him angry by barging in" he said, his eyes looking for approval.

"That's probably for the better" Chris nodded. "He's some kind of videogame celebrity or something, I don't understand what exactly he does and makes me feel old" he smiled, looking awfully cute in his resignation.

"Alice is seventeen, our first sister and a violin wonder" Chris eyes beamed proud. "Gareth you met at the door, eighteen years of headaches" he sighed, clearly having to deal with him on a daily basis. "Then the twins, Michael and David with nineteen. They could be identical if they made the effort, but since they don't like each other much they are pretty easy to tell apart" Chris smiled.

"Jason has your age" Chris said, looking at Bobby, who shook his head. "I hope he doesn't forget that the dinner is today. Artists can get forgetful" he tried to smile, but it was clearly a source of worries for him.

"The hangover one you briefly met is Lucas, and has his own club at twenty two. He's more responsible that the first impression you got, and I guess that he won't have trouble finding you a night job if you need one" he shrugged, moving on.

"Matthew took care of your room, he's one year younger than me" Chris nodded. "He's supposed to be an architect, but he loves doing decor. Let him help with anything of the sorts you need or he'll be mopey for a week" he nodded, the notion made Bobby laugh.

"I'm the last at twenty four, have my own bakery downtown" Chris was brief. "If you are more of a day person I can employ you instead of Luc, but I guess you'll do fine on your own without your new brothers being so protective" he laughed, aware of his overprotective nature. "That's it. Laura and Thomas are still on their honeymoon, so as parental duties tend to fall on me, don't be afraid of asking anything" he nodded, giving the list of names and ages to Taylor.

The list was sooo helpful, Taylor thought, as Chris considerately ran through her new siblings. So, the bouncy kid, the gamer, the musician, the grumpy teenager, the writer, the swimmer, the artist, myself, the entrepreneur, the architect and the baker. Wow, that's going to be a lot to get used to ran through her head.

"Ah, on the subject of jobs, I did send my new resume off to a couple of firms just in town, so maybe I can get to use my engineering degree sooner than I thought. Of course, if that falls through, I would really appreciate your help with something as an intermediary... and on the whole protectiveness front, I love that you are concerned about me. It's really nice having sibling who can care about me and who I can care about in return. Don't worry though, I can just say so if you're being a bit overbearing. Not that I expect to need to do so."

"On another note, what's the plan for dinner? Don't think I didn't notice that big pot in the oven, but what do we have? And can I help? Any veggies to steam, or potatoes to mash?"

"Well, hopping from having no siblings around to having ten of us must be weird" Chris said, "I don't think I can even imagine being alone, and I'm the older, for Bobby must be even-" he looked around in the huge kitchen, but the active boy must have ended up bored and just ran away. Soon noises started to come from the tv on the living room so that was a mystery solved. "Where was I... anyways, I'm glad that all these changes aren't making you mad and you are already searching for work. The day to day won't be easy, I warn you" he said gently, but looked honest and serious. "This house can feel small sometimes" the mere notion made it sound like a joke, but there was no humor in his tone.

"We got people to help with most of the shopping. If there is any specific product or brand you want, warn us and we'll keep it stocked" Chris commented. "But beyond some gardeners and cleaners, every Morrison- well, every Evans sibling is responsible for their cooking, room and laundry. It's the only way to organize this chaos" he was moving around the kitchen with prepping work as they spoke. "That doesn't mean we won't help each other, but with the diverse schedule the only moments we are all or almost all together are special occasions like tonight" he admitted, a small smile on his face. "As for the menu tonight is a ton of food, so yeah, I could use some help" Chris started to give her indications and he sounded professional, by his advices and moves it was clear that his cooking expertise went beyond bakery. "Most of it will be served buffet style for comfort, so be ready to pass food around the table" he seemed to be happy of having her there, but every time he turned to cook or prep, his face was one of focus.

"No, it'll be fine. I take some time, get used to all of you and this house, I'll do my best! So, I shall get going with this broccoli." At those words, she strode over, and began separating out the broccoli to put into the steamer. While she worked, a few discreet glances over at Chris showed his focus was serious. It seemed anything to do with food would immediately require his full attention, and that he could put no less than his full effort into cooking and baking.

Twenty minutes later, broccoli steamed, goulash garnished, potato salad made, condiments prepared in little pots, Chris and Taylor began to carry trays and trays of food, dishes and cutlery through to the spacious dining room.

As food started to gather at the table, the brothers slowly started to pour out to the dinning room, some of their own volition, others dragged by Bobby. He was pushing a young one with a small blonde mohawk and bright neon green eyes that looked at Taylor just briefly. "H-Hi. I'm Alan" he mumbled, before sitting down. And he was the one that was some kind of videogame celebrity? Maybe Chris didn't fully understood what he did and informed Taylor wrong?

"Let me help" sea green eyes looked at hers, as an older brother with short curly blonde hair, trying to give her a hand with the plates. "I'm Matt, I hope you liked your room, I wanted it clean and useful, but also calm. I've a few ideas for..." he started to ramble.

"Dinner time" a severe Chris voiced behind Taylor, making Matt back off. In the meantime it seemed that Gareth was back and not alone, although he sat as far as it was possible from where he thought Taylor was going to sit.

The guy that entered with Gareth had tea green eyes, quite clear and not far from her own, his shoulder length black hair making him easy to track on that crowd. Both him and Gareth had their hair obviously dyed, as Laura was blonde as far she could remember, and the rest of their siblings were as well. Following the list it had to be Jason, wearing a paint smudged white shirt and denim overalls. He seemed absentminded and he just plopped into a chair, without even noticing Taylor was around.

That's when she noticed it, how weird it was having most of those green eyes on her, each and every pair with a different shade, what were they thinking when they looked at her? Bobby seemed delighted, running around the table, while Alan was looking at his phone and Alice seemed trouble, her eyes evasive. Gareth was defiant, while David and Michael looked interested at her, the twins seeming one and the same for a moment. Jason didn't seem to have noticed her, while Lucas was more presentable than before, even if still looking tired. Matthew was smiling, seeing at Bobby make the rounds sibling to sibling. Chris rested a hand at her shoulder, gentle. "It's going to be fine" he whispered before pulling a chair for her to sit down.

To Alan's quiet greeting, "Taylor." with a smile, was all the response that she was sure would not spook Alan, continuing to dish up as the others arrived.

"Thanks Matt, I do like to customize it rather than having everything picked out for me already." His chatter cut short by Chris, however, let them get on with it.A quick look towards Gareth showed he was still scowling, seemingly his default expression.

The intermittent glances and stares from everyone at the table were rather unnerving, but she met David and Michael's without blinking, and Lucas with a smile at his slight recovery.

As Taylor finished dishing up, with nine different main dishes and countless condiments and smaller dishes arranged along the table, she took one of the last three seats, roughly two-thirds of the way along the table next to Lucas, with Bobby finishing dashing round and leaping into the spare seat next to her. Chris remained standing, however, and oh god he was going to do some sort of terrible introduction greeting thing. Ah well, better to get it out of the way sooner rather than later...

"Ah, well... I'm not good at this kind of thing..." Chris mumbled as the rest of his siblings went quiet. "But today is an special occasion, and that's why I asked you all to be here" he said, so it was all his making and not a group decision. Gareth stifled a sigh, while Jason finally noticed that it was indeed something weird going on, and his eyes went to Taylor immediately. He examined her intently, but it was in a different way that Michael did before, a bit more detached and way less creepy. He nodded appreciatively, returning to his absentminded self. "Lets please be civil and not make Taylor crazy, as it must be difficult for her" Chris begged, and several eyes drifted around, as for some siblings wasn't easy to have her there either, not all of them as welcoming as others. "Just think of her a sister, right?" he added, another set of loaded glares between the brothers, knowing each other well. Chris looked at her, almost pleading to be rescued of his own disjointed speech with some words of her own, so he could sit on his chair and disappear.

At Chris's noticeable discomfort, Taylor then stood, and cleared her throat with a petite cough. An obvious silence fell across the table, ten pairs of green eyes focussed on her form, roving over her body as she gathered her scattered thoughts and opinions.

"So. We are all siblings now. I have to say, thank you for being as accepting as you have. I can't wait to get to know you all, and I really appreciate you welcoming me imto your home like this. So, um." A short stutter interrupted her ad-lib speech at the intense stares directed at her, and then she continued. "We are all living together now, and I just want to get along. We will probably have arguments, I don't think there is a family that doesn't. But I sincerely hope that we can work past them and get along. Thank you all."

Taylor almost collapsed back into her seat, having taxed her limited public speakig skills to their limit.

Bobby clapped happy once Taylor spoke, while most of the other siblings smiled and nodded. Jason seemed to have something to say, but he fell silent as food started to move around the table. "So good!" Bobby exclaimed, avoiding the plates with vegetables like the plague, stuffing himself with some braised pork and mashed potatoes. Alice was eating little, seemingly more interested on looking at Taylor than anything else, while Alan was absorbed in his phone, idly munching on some broccoli.

"So... do you like any sports?" was David's attempt at a conversation, its athletic centered topic making Michael sigh, causing David to glare at him.

Taylor was still feeling slightly delicate, hazarding a little chicken and mash to start. Oblvious to Alice's stare, however, she just started to eat. Not eating as daintily as Matt, or as ravenously as Bobby, but more pecking at bits she had already moved to her plated, taking piece by piece, eating, and then moving on.

David's question came as a surprise, but she quickly marshalled her thoughts. "Well, I like to take long walks myself, but I enjoyed watching english football. Everyone gets really into it, Samantha brought me to a game every month or so, I loved it. Have you ever played it?"

"Soccer? From time to time, I like that it's requires little gear to play it, as long as you have a ball and a couple of friends..." David shrugged, happy that Taylor had at least some degree of interest in sports, even if she didn't really practice something often. Well, maybe they could swim whenever just for fun, it didn't have to be a race. Before he could say anything else, Michael intervened.

"Who's Samantha? A girlfriend?" he wondered, slightly tilting his head. Chris almost choked on his food and the rest of the siblings looked at him as it was something usual of him to ask something like that nonchalantly. "Is she as beautiful as you?" he wondered aloud. "Michael..." Chris muttered, glaring at him.

"Heh heh, we did have the occasional kickabout..." Taylors cute face crinkled slightly in remembrance. "On that note, does anyone know any nature-type walks around here? Maybe a cycle route? It'd be nice to get out and about again."

At Michael's question, a tiny mischievous smirk flitted across her face, and a with a dramatic sigh, she launched into a monologue.

"Ah, we were young, just out of our homes and living together, the tension between us was so real. Even so, we would oft wander off together, feed each other, and giggle and dress one another up to our hearts' content. Oh, the permissive attitude of college, the peer pressure, the curiosity of each others bodies, minds, our very souls. In conclusion: no, Michael, we were not girlfriends. Nice try, though."

"There are some nice views at the hills, but I prefer painting people" Jason spoke for the first time without taking his eyes away from his plate, seemingly more interested in playing with his food than eating it.

"Yeah! I can grab my bike!" Bobby said as if he was about to skip dinner to just head there, but even he realized that it wasn't the moment. Things got weird when Michael asked his question.

As she spoke, Michel was sizing her up, David was blushing as a tomato, Gareth and Alice looked baffled and Lucas seemed to be keeping a giggle in. He seemed to take the jab with grace. "Didn't think so, but it's was worth asking" he smiled, not finished. "The prose was a bit conventional, but I liked the pacing and if you look at David's face, I think he found it evocative enough" Michael added, making David's face grow even redder.

Back
Top Bottom