Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Attraction Is A Treacherous Game [MisterKingXSeraphina]

xXSeraphinaXx

Super-Earth
The sound of dripping water caused Kiara took look up from her desk. It had been raining and drops of pooled water were dripping onto her window. The Princess sat in her private chambers while gazing lazily at a stack of treaties that her father had told her to study. She had a long time before she would become Queen, but her father refused to let her enjoy her spare time. He always wanted her studying up on the latest information from all of the neighboring kingdoms. More specifically the kingdom to the northwest. A kingdom filled to the brim with demonic beings. She had seen them before. Her father liked to entertain traveling nobility. When she snuck out of the castle to wander the market she would sometimes see them as well. The market had demon merchants, and several of the towns occupants were demons that had moved to her kingdom for reasons she did not know. She knew that there were a lot of smaller monarchies in ruling to the northwest, so it was likely that people would slip between the cracks and escape the constant turmoil.

She sighed, looking to a dress that lay on her bed. An event was planned for the evening that involved visiting nobles. She was to put on the beautiful purple hued gown and be a social butterfly for all to enjoy. Kiara rolled her eyes in silent irritation. She cared not for her fathers games, but she did need to make connections for her future as Queen. Play nice now, gain favors for later.

Two servants appeared in her chamber with a polite curtsy. "Your Highness...We have come to help you prepare for the gala..." A servant said, her eyes cast at the floor and refusing to meet Kiara's icy blue gaze. The Princess stood from her desk and nodded, letting the servants do their job.

A couple hours later her skin appeared radiant, her black hair was shiny and pinned in curls at the nape of her neck, and she had just a faint touch of color on her lips. Her dress was a deep purple silk that felt heavenly against her skin. The skirts were full, the waist fitted tightly, and her chest covered enough to be appropriate for formal affairs. There was no hiding the womanly curve of her body even beneath the skirts. Her arms were covered fully by tight sleeves that ended at her wrist. "Thank you ladies...you are dismissed..." She told them, causing them to depart quickly. Kiara slipped on some sparkling earrings and a necklace that dipped down into the exposed area of her chest. "I suppose I should get this over with..." she sighed softly.

The Princess turned to leave her room, headed towards the royal ballroom. Her mind wandered. Her Kingdom was large and relatively wealthy. There were several different towns surrounding the castle itself, deep and often dangerous woods bordered them from their closest enemies but also left towns farther away in peril. The humans often had little to defend against the beasts from the dark woods, and she believed her father was trying to remedy that situation. If they could gain a relationship with one of the demon monarchies they could likely get help protecting their towns from the beasts on their borders. The only question would be what said demons would want in exchange, and if the humans even had anything of worth to them.

Kiara stopped before two large doors, carved intricately with ancient symbols that even she didn't understand. She could tell that the party had already begun. She waited to be announced and then placed a warm smile on her lips, walking gracefully into the ballroom. The ballroom was set up with a large staircase leading down onto an expansive dance floor. There were tables scattered around the outside of the dance floor, and large floor to ceiling windows along the wall that faced the staircase. The windows were thrown open, casting a soft breeze through the dance floor and allowing a beautiful trickle of moonlight to illuminate the room. There were hundreds of candles lit around the room that enhanced the mood. Between the floor to ceiling windows were open doors that let to a large patio and garden. Guests could dance, drink, and then lose themselves among the beauty of the royal gardens if they so desired.

The Princess walked down the stairs, aware of several gazes on her moving form. At the bottom of the stairs she was handed a glass of red wine by a passing servants. She already saw several local royals on their way over to her, "Oh hell..." She murmured as she turned her back on them to find something more interesting.

If Tirel Ebon had a favorite pastime, it would have to be hunting. Actual opportunities for him to hunt were rare, since his family had no grounds and few of their friends did, either, but the idea of bringing the titanic wildlife of the North to its knees holds a certain romance to those born to be insignificant.

Although he didn't know it, this romance haunted the back of his mind as he prepared for the evening. There was only a single trunk lying before him but Tirel had packed a spread of clothing, confident in his ability to put together something for anything. The Baron stood over the array of clothing articles, small fangs biting into his lip as he solved this problem. Black wouldn't work; they should notice him, not what he wore. Red would have the same problem, except it would draw out his rich, crimson skin. Tonight he wasn't a foreign devil, but another socializing patrician who just happened to be more charming then the rest. Dark blue, though, that could work. Tirel slipped it on, pleased at how the gossamer fabric felt and breathed on his skin. He hated being down South; turns out having a naturally high body heat to cope with his brutally cold homeland made travelling to less harsh climates rather unfriendly, ironically enough. When he could, Tirel turned to lighter, finer clothes during his stays to compensate, which in turn gave him a more urbane, debonair quality when rubbing elbows. He did his best to ensure that quality turned into a benefit, rather than a hindrance when mingling with the established.

Fully dressed, the Baron draped a jacket over his shoulders on his way to the palace. The Northern Kingdoms were an infamously ... unstable region, where all who sought a crown paid their lives for it, whether before or after they laid hands on one. The royal turnover was full of opportunities for the less to grab what they could. It was lucky that Tirel was as vain as he was, even for a devil, so while the coffers and relics were plundered the young Baron helped himself to the vestures of those too hopeful for their own good. The jacket he wore, though, was the one exception. His favorite piece by far, it happened to have been purchased from the clothier behind much of the rest of his wardrobe, and a custom order as well. It wasn't a light shell or easily breathable; the jacket was meant to last, to survive, to hunt in. It hadn't seen much wear and tear, of course, but the tough, tailored hide offered a comfort no exotic gossamer could provide as the aspiring noble was ushered through the door. It was just the sort of thing one should wear when confronting game larger and stronger than yourself.

Tirel was very familiar with being on the bottom of any given ladder. He liked to look at it differently, however. When you have nothing, you have no enemies and you can approach anyone as long as you have a nice enough smile. Case in point, this gaggle of local minor nobility; they seemed like a good place to start tonight. Tirel weaved his way through the bodies to them, meticulously arranging his hair in a carefree style as he turned on the charm. That's the thing about being an inconsequential noble in an unstable aristocracy: you've got to be to be well aware of when you're accidentally handed just enough rope to hang someone with.

Kiara was pulled into a boring discussion far too quickly for her tastes. She hadn't even finished a full glass of wine before both a Lord and Lady from her own Kingdom had pulled her into a conversation about the local farmers of their town. The Princess nodded kindly and gave a few words about how it was important that the people stay happy, otherwise their positions as their leaders would mean little to nothing. The Lord and Lady appeared to agree and Kiara made her move to leave them to discuss their problems with each other. She rolled her eyes, sipping her wine as she moved about the room. Eyes would flick to her and she tried her hardest not too make eye contact with them. Being the Princess of the castle everyone was currently enjoying the hospitality of made it difficult to be unseen. The Lords who had moved toward her after her entrance had found her again and Kiara cursed herself for not paying more attention to them.

"Princess Kiara..." The more cocky of the three greeted her. She turned an unamused gaze on the three men and they were too full of themselves to even notice. They were boring, bland, and not her type. As usual they thought discussing their wealth or their rank would make them interesting to her. She wasn't an airhead Princess who cared about jewels and who had the most luxurious vacation retreat, something which the men in front of her continued to boast about. They started to discuss her future and that was when she turned on her heel, downed the remainder of her wine, grabbed a new wine glass from a servant, and headed outside. "The nerve.." She murmured under her breath. Her father treated her as a future leader of his Kingdom, the rest of the nobles around her seemed to care nothing for the fact that she had a brain, only that she had a womb to carry their heirs, and a title that would get them farther in life. While she sat in a cloud of growing irritation she caught a glimpse of rich, crimson skin out of the corner of her eye.

Kiara turned her body so that she could take in the full profile of the devil dressed in a beautiful hue of blue. As she stood, clearly staring in interest at the man, her mother approached her. Queen Nadia was a beautiful woman, with the same black hair as her daughter, and a sharp tongue to meet the match of any man in the region. "If you are interested in speaking with someone...go speak with them Kiara...Do not just stand here after ignoring everyone else who is interested in speaking with you..." Nadia chastised. The Queen rolled her eyes and away she went in a swirl of skirts. Kiara glared after her, knowing she was correct. Kiara was being rude to many of the guests who had an interest in speaking with her. Though Kiara thought it was more that they had an interest in speaking at her, not with her. A servant was passing her and Kiara called her aside. "Please deliver a glass of our best to the gentlemen standing over there..." She pointed to the crimson devil with her wine glass. "Tell him the Princess requested he give his opinion on..." She thought about it for a moment," the flavor..." The servant nodded, quickly running to fetch a glass with ice and their strongest and most prized liquor. Kiara became more discreet in her staring until the servant appeared again, her small frame quickly ushering over to the man.

"Pardon me my Lord...." The servant gave a small curtsy and held up a tray with a drink, "The Princess requested that I bring you our best liquor....and she wishes to know your opinion on the...flavor..." The servant told him in a quick and somewhat nervous voice. She waited for the man to take his drink before she excused herself and rushed off to continue whatever it was she was assigned with. Kiara turned so she could see the man again, her icy eyes watching him over the rim of her wine glass as she sipped.

As the Princess watched him over the lip of her glass, so too did the Baron shroud his face with the wine before locking eyes. Once he was clear he appraised the drink with a raised eyebrow, striding directly to his new acquaintance. A couple of couples stumbled through his path, though, but by the time they passed Tirel was no longer in Kiara's sight.

She felt him before she saw him; her right shoulder suddenly felt much colder than her left as Tirel accepted her invitation and approached. He greeted her with something that would easily have been a winning smile were it not for the protruding fangs. "Princess Kiara, If you ask me, I certainly appreciated what is clearly one of your stronger wines. Had I not known better, I might think there's something you want from me. Although, I'm not saying I dislike it."

Kiara saw him tip the glass to his lips and she was suddenly caught in his gaze. Did he like it? Had she just made herself look a fool? A few guests broke their eye contact and suddenly he was gone. The Princess cursed very quietly under her breath as she looked around for where he could have gone. A few moments later she felt something change beside her. Kiara turned and jumped slightly in surprise. His smile had certainly caught her off guard, but she couldn't stop herself from smiling back at him. "Want something from you?" She questioned with a mischievous twinkle in her eye. "Let us just say that I am in dire need of a companion this evening before the Queen forces me to speak with the dullest of Lords just as a punishment..." She gave a slight roll of her eyes.

The Princess took a sip of her wine, "I am pleased that you appear to have enjoyed the wine...Think of it as a token of my gratitude if you would be so kind and keep me company this evening..." She told him, her gaze flicking across the party to see the Queen watching her with a suspicious stare. Kiara quickly looked back at the man beside her. "You see...I am being rather rude to the other guests..." She told him in a hushed voice, "I find them all...painfully boring...However...I have not had the pleasure of speaking to you before..." Kiara was very hopeful that he wasn't just like all the rest of them.

The striking devil raised an eyebrow in amusement, almost but not quite bordering on condescension. "Heaven forbid the beautiful young princess not get her fill of engrossment for the evening; what else are all these lovely people here for if not to liven your week?" It was painfully obvious that Tirel was the only one Kiara was willing to engage with by this point, so the Baron chose to toy with that and see what he could push. He swapped the drink to his empty hand and lightly held the princess with his cooler glass hand. He weaved through the crowds of the ballroom, leading Kiara through the bluebloods much like he would lead a dance partner around the floor. He never gripped her hand, rather offering only the simplest touch as a guide. Gentle enticement worked wonders on the bored, spoiled rich.

"Pity you're missing all the fun, princess." With a sweep of his hand, he painstakingly fixed his skewed hairs, the hazard of having horns. He kept his tone light and palatable, on the edge of teasing but just loud enough to be made out over the rest of the noise. "You've gathered quite a delightful crowd this evening. Did you know that some of your guests are dealing with unrest?" It might've just been his natural features, but Kiara could swear she noticed a gleam in his eye. "Maybe I'm just enjoying the change of pace, after all nobody's been killed yet, but your lands are adrift in opportunity. You must have your hands full, being on top of it at all."

They had drifted to the edges of the crowds; he was leading her up a staircase he'd noticed off in the corner. The Baron had little idea of where he was actually going, but if he could find his way up to one of the balconies he'd consider it a success. This fairest princess was his in; if she wanted him to not be boring, Tirel would be goddamn fascinating.

Kiara bit her tongue when the man spoke. The Princess was not used to anyone but her parents speaking to her in such a snarky way. She chose to ignore the comment since it alone showed he wasn't going to try and impress her, which was exactly what she wanted to avoid. She allowed him to lead her through the ballroom, occasionally glancing at him or those around them. He was a curious individual, which gave her some relief, though she couldn't help but think he was messing with her. She glanced at him when he spoke again and she frowned, eyes narrowing slightly at his comment. He was definitely messing with her. The question was did she allow him to continue or did she put a stop to it? Kiara frowned, unsure of how to proceed. She looked forward and saw the staircase they were strolling towards.

Once they ascended the staircase she sighed, "I am very aware of the unrest some of my guests are dealing with..." Her voice held an edge of irritation. "I keep myself well informed of the happenings in this Kingdom as well as the others around it..." Her lips pursed slightly as she added, "I do more then play with my dolls..." She lifted her wine and took a small sip. Kiara motioned with her glass towards a curtain at the far end of the hall.

When they were beside the curtain she lifted a slender hand to part the curtains and reveal a small balcony. It overlooked a secluded part of the gardens outside, the moon casting a warm glow over them. The balcony was simple; a small table with chairs and a few potted plants decorated the enclosure. She turned towards the devil beside her and lifted her eyes to look into his own, "Do you not approve of such frivolity during times of stress?" She questioned, "Or do you just not approve of me? Not parading myself around to the masses?" She turned and walked to the table, setting her wine glass down. Kiara stepped towards the balcony, leaning against the stone with a sigh.

The doll comment raised an eyebrow from Tirel almost immediately. He tucked that away in his mind with the intent to revisit that later; apparently the princess wasn't the only one whose interest was suddenly sparked. Her eagerness to substantiate what was handed to her had a sweet charm to it, as much as he hated to admit it. Her willingness to lead him away was a nice touch as well. Kiara was not only giving him something to work with but she wanted to work with him as well, and with such sudden fondness he might as well have struck gold.

Tirel took a moment to admire the garden the princess had led him to. It was nice to see her family's wealth had not destroyed their taste. As she began her wistful musings he took care to savor every detail, since he doubted she let her guard down like this often. Wasting such rare moments was anathema to the devil. Once she had broken eye contact and turned from him, he couldn't help but crack a grin. She couldn't be this easy; there was no way.

"Do you not approve of you, Princess?" He moved closer, standing by her shoulder to join her by the ledge. "You'll have to forgive me for assuming, but you seem unsatisfied with your station. I'll admit it seems odd, considering the power at your fingers and the luxury available at your whim, but it's always possible there's more to you than fine dresses and a very striking figure." His gaze unconsciously traveled up and down Kiara, as if to underscore that statement.

Tirel leaned on the ledge as well, although he faced her directly instead of looking across the garden. "Tell me what you aspire to, Princess Kiara. Why do you seem so uncomfortable when you're so well clothed, fed, and protected. Do you not approve of yourself?" His voice was smooth and sweet as honey while he spoke to her.

Kiara rolled her eyes, "Approve of myself?" She paused, considering the question carefully. "Unsatisfied with my station? No not entirely...unsatisfied with how others perceive my significance in certain aspects of my station? Yes." She sighed softly and shook her head, "There are many in this world that do not find it necessary for me to involve myself in the political side of the kingdom.." She admitted, her voice holding a hint of frustration. "Oh sure....I have every luxury I need at the tip of my fingers..." She laughed, "However I'm rather tired of everyone assuming that is the only thing that matters to me..." She turned a pointed glare playfully at Tirel. His comment on her figure made her smirk and turn her gaze away to look back into the garden. "Yes...my fine dresses and striking figure do me a lot of good when trying to discuss the topic of treaties with the local Lords..." She gave another eye roll and turned to face him as he faced her against the ledge. He asked of her aspirations, and she found that thoroughly refreshing. Not a single person had ever asked her such a thing. The sound of his voice rolled across her skin pleasantly and it brought a small smile back to her lips.

"Aspire?" Her face turned thoughtful, her eyes watching him with interest, "I aspire to be more then a pretty face..." She leaned towards Tirel lightly when she spoke, "More then a womb to carry an heir..." She kept her eyes locked with his, "I aspire to be an intelligent, fair, compassionate, ruthless when needed, and respected ruler..." There was a clear passion in her eyes as she watched the devil in front of her. "I want to end the suffering of the kingdoms around me...unite the regions...stop the endless suffering of all races...not just the humans..." She said with a rush of excitement. Kiara realized she was getting excited and stopped, flicking her gaze away from Tirel. "Or that's what I would aspire to...if I were to become a Queen...without a King..." She frowned, her lips turned in a small pout, "A King would have the real power..."

The Princess shook her head, "You are the first man to ever ask me such a question...." She told him honestly, "Do you believe I should be destined to play the beautiful Princess...forever planning parties and entertaining the nobles?" Kiara was leaning towards him again, her voice playful, "Or do you enjoy the thought of a Princess with a head for politics and battle fields?" With her close proximity she had the sudden impulse to feel the fabric of his shirt, it was a light material that she imagined would feel almost nonexistent to her touch. Surely she'd be able to feel every curve of his chest beneath such a thin fabric. Kiara realized her eyes had strayed from his to admire his shirt and she quickly flicked her gaze back up.

"Where do you draw these lines, Princess? Where I come from a place where parties are planned by those with true power and the dangerous ladies are beautiful ones. I'd call it a crime for such an ambitious mind as yours to be wasted on the pedestrian affairs of the aristocracy, but at the same time don't lose sight of what you're capable of right now." He kept his voice level and calm to better make his point, but he was thrilled Kiara was engaging with him like this. The heiress to a superpower was hanging on to his every word; this was easily better than any other scenario he had imagined for tonight. It certainly didn't hurt for the heiress to be as lovely and sharp as she was, either.

The evening wind heightened the chill in the air, rather pleasantly for the devil unused to the warmer climate. A curl of the princess' hair fluttered down in the wind as they spoke, and almost on reflex Tirel reached up with a warm hand to tuck it gently back behind Kiara's ear. "If you haven't been given something, feel free to take it, princess. You might've been born a pretty face, made to carry other men's heirs and charm their underlings, but that's no reason you can't have a head for greater things." He stood in close as he coaxed her, fully intent on her.

Kiara closed her eyes as the wind brushed against her skin, only to open them when the devil's fingers brushed a runaway curl behind her ear. Her gaze lifted to his own and she offered a small smile. "I should just stand up and take what I want?" She asked softly. A wistful look appeared on her face, her eyes still focused on the angles of his face. "I did that once..." She reminisced. The Princess was drifting on a memory that she had spent many a year trying to forget, she was sure everyone but her had forgotten it, unaware of the pain it caused her. "My father believes I should be permitted to know the deeper politics of a ruler....he would cultivate my mind for such things...his advisors...and my mother have other opinions...ones in which they are not silent about..." She laughed but it was a bitter sound.

"Once...when I was much younger I wanted to learn to fight.." Her eyes blazed passionately for a moment, showing the fire in her soul. "My father did not object...however...my mother did...it was then that I realized something very important..." Kiara paused, "Though my father could make the decisions on the surface...my mother could make moves behind the scene...that could change my decisons without involving him..." Her voice grew irritated. "I went out for my first day of training...upon seeing the guards who were assigned to me...I should have known better..."

The impulse to touch Tirel grew as she spoke, her mind lost in memory as she lifted a slender hand and brushed it across the front of his shirt. "They could not leave permanent marks...but they made sure to leave a message from my mother that I would not go against her again..I told my father shortly after that I did not wish to learn any longer..." Her fingers started to curl into a fist, sliding smoothly across his chest. "She has done similar things each time I've...tried to take what I want...be who I want...." Kiara noticed her fist against his chest and quickly spread her fingers, surprised at the heat beneath her hand that she felt through his thin shirt.

"My father gives me small...lessons in secret...I suspect he knows what my mother does..." She smiled. "But I fear that my options are limited in the future...unless something drastic occurs..." Her hand had lingered much too long against his chest and she realized it with slightly widened eyes. "My apologies!" She said suddenly, dropping her hands.

Tirel hushed her quickly, bringing a finger to her lips as she tried to apologise. "Shh Princess. There's nobody here; you can do as you please." He delicately plucked her hand up and laid it back on his chest, keeping it there for a second so she couldn't yank it away. After a second he placed a hand on her back, holding her close while he looked at her intently. The doubt and resignation on her face was a painful contrast to the rest of her, sparking a rare empathy from the baron. "If it's something you should be, princess, then I trust you'll find a way to make it real. Those eyes of yours are too bright for anything else." His fiery crimson skin, the meticulously organized chaos of his hair, the gleaming fangs all screamed distrust, that the devil was a liar, a seducer, and a thief as he lost himself in her eyes.

His gaze was broken by a thunderous chime, ringing a dozen or so times from a tower off in the distance. His mind set free from the princess, Tirel was able to notice the subsided noise quietly reverberating from the main hall. The spread of voices, plus the reminder of the time, was his cue. He pulled her even closer, pressing her body so tightly against his, the intention could be mistaken by no one. A gentle maroon finger lifted her chin as he planted his lips onto hers, kissing her fully and passionately. He remained there, locked to her not quite as long as he would've liked, before he had to break it and leave. "You'll have to excuse me Kiara, but it has been lovely. Please, think over what I've said." His voice, warm as his skin, lingered with the princess as he made his exit like a fading mist. The baron leapt the balcony like a rogue, rolling to the garden below as he left the princess with a wink and a smile. The deep blue he wore might have been barely visible, or that smudge moving over the palace walls was just a trick of the moonlight. There was a faint clamor from the guards, but by then Tirel was gone, like a thief in the night.

When Tirel brought his finger to her lips to quiet her, Kiara's eyes widened slightly. Her hand was placed back against the burning warmth of his chest and she felt her pulse jump a little. She couldn't pull away again, as he placed a hand on her back to hold her close to him. The Princess stared up at the devil, taking in the hue of his skin, his hair, those eyes, and the curve of his lips. She could swear that she could hear her heart beating rapidly in her chest, though she knew such a thing was silly to believe. Kiara felt utterly enthralled by the devil, and that was something she rarely was by any gentlemen in court.

As a tower chimed in the distance, Kiara felt Tirel pull her even closer and she didn't try to stop him. One of his warm fingers pushed her chin up and then his lips were against hers. The sudden action caused her eyes to snap open. As she settled against him, her body fully relaxed and her eyes slid shut. She let herself fall into the sensation of his lips moving, her own responding in turn with an equal passion and enthusiasm. Her fingers curled and grasped his thin shirt tightly, while her free hand rested against the side of his body. As he began to break away from the kiss, a soft whimper rose from her throat. Kiara opened her dazed eyes and stared up at Tirel with her lips parted and her cheeks flushed. His voice wrapped around her and she shivered pleasantly. She could find no words as he jumped from the balcony and landed gracefully in the garden below her. Kiara numbly turned, hands on the edge of the balcony as she watched him leave, a small laugh escaping her as he winked and smiled at her. He was gone.

The Princess placed one hand on her chest to calm her rapid heart, and another on her lips where she could swear she still felt his presence. Kiara licked her lips, savoring the warmth and taste of him. "What...What an intriguing devil he is..." She whispered to herself. Never before had a nobleman caused her cheeks to flush and her heart to pound in such a way. Kiara just hadn't found anyone of interest or attraction before. There were pretty faces everywhere, but she had never found a face, body, and mind that excited her. The devil had ignited a fire in her that made her body yearn for his touch. She huffed in frustration and grabbed her wine, downing it quickly. "To kiss someone so well and then run off!" She snapped, "Ah!" She set the wine glass down and turned to exit the balcony. As she parted the curtains she saw the servant from earlier approaching her. The young woman looked relieved when she saw the Princess.

"Princess...you are needed for the closing speeches..." She said quickly, her eyes looking past Kiara. "Baron Ebon is also requested to join you..." She said, her voice softer when she realized the devil she had delivered a drink to earlier was no longer with Kiara. "Oh...I'll let the Queen know he isn't with you..." She apologized and then ran off. Kiara frowned. Her mother had seen her eyeing him up earlier, of course she'd ask to be officially introduced. The Princess rolled her eyes and headed back down to the party, where she took her place to the side of her mother. She turned her attention to her father as he started to speak, raising a glass to all of his guests.

"My dear friends, family, nobles, and esteemed visitors..." The King began, "Thank you for joining us in this evening's festivities...We do hope you have enjoyed yourselves...In the next few weeks we will be holding many meetings and events in which I hope to see many of you...We have much to discuss and achieve among our villages and adjoining Kingdoms...Let us be warm and welcoming to one another..." He gave a warm rumble of laughter and raised his glass higher, "To a strong and bountiful future for us all!"

The guests cheered, drank, and departed. A few of the higher ranking guests were staying at the castle, while others were staying nearby in smaller estates. Kiara moved to leave when she felt her mother's grasp around her wrist. "Kiara...Did you enjoy your time with..." She looked thoughtful,"The red devil..." She paused, "I believe your father said he was a Baron...Tirel? Tirel Ebon?" She nodded, assuring herself that she had the correct name. "Did you scare him off?" She mused. Kiara shook her head and pulled her wrist away.

"He had something to attend to and departed just before the closing speech..." Kiara said with a frown. "He was lucky...I would have hated to subject him to a conversation with...you..." She retorted. She didn't see it coming, but she felt it as her mother's hand met with her cheek, causing Kiara's head to jerk to the side. The Princess gasped, the sudden sharp pain surprising her.

"You disgust me...Disappearing from the party...I don't know where you went...But I know you were with that devil...I trust you will turn your attention elsewhere in the coming weeks...There are plenty of others here that you should be entertaining....Not a devil...I do not understand what your father's interest is in them...Their Kingdoms are a mess of violence!" She snapped. The Queen stalked off and Kiara's anger flared. The Princess quickly returned to her rooms and groaned in frustration. The next few weeks would be interesting. Her mother's dislike for devils would make the time almost unbearable. She made a note to avoid the woman at all costs. If she spent more time with her father she might have a chance to see the Baron again. Certainly he would attend some of the meetings and events that were geared towards aiding the devil kingdoms? Kiara spent the remainder of her evening in thought about Tirel and what could have possibly caused her mother to despise his kind so much.

Leaning on a chimney, lurking above the streets, Tirel cursed at himself once he realized that he had left his jacket with the attendants back at the king's palace. That jacket had more than its fair share of sentimental value; it wasn't something that should be left behind so easily. He made a mental note to get it back and tucked it away amidst the rest of the tangled, branching task list blooming in the back of his mind. Among that list was a kidnapping, three instances of blackmail, finding some leverage to get Kiara out from under her mother's thumb, and finding out where Ad- speak of the deviless...

A shrouded figure crept from the shadows of an alleyway below, noticeable only by the lengths she went to be unnoticed. Surely that was her. He dropped from the overhang, gently corrected the aspects of his appearance knocked askew, and joined her as she walked.

Adani swapped a charm on her necklace with one clipped on a band around her wrist, and her black incognito outfit unfurled and reformed itself into something new, less conspicuous since she was now walking with Tirel and in public. At least it was as inconspicuous as devils got, anyhow. The white linen shirt was cut surprisingly low and loose, and although her skirt met her boots at the knee it seemed to bob higher and float slower than others, keeping her thighs plenty visible as she strode along. Her plain, somewhat bland clothes might've been muted compared to Tirel's host of eye-catching colors, but her vivid crimson skin shone through, elevating the simple tans and whites to something exotic and enticing. Without breaking stride she pulled a hairpin out of her shirt, holding it in her mouth until she wrangled her rich, violet hair into a workable bun, then before stabbing the pin through.

When she could talk, Tirel spoke. "I didn't see a Titare tonight, so I assume you were successful?"

"Quite; those bastards were running around all night putting out fires."

"How many of those fires were literal? I'm curious."

"Enough." That got a grin from Tirel. No devil worth their salt could resist a little arson. "How'd it go on your end?"

"We got two and a half new voices tonight. I think we've got some real solid ground to stand on here" Tirel oversold the smile, clearly trying too hard with her.

"Seven. You promised you could get seven on your side. I scoped out those seven; we had a plan. What the hell happened?" Adani did her best to hide the smoldering disappointment but ultimately couldn't. There was work, plenty of it, that had failed.

"I, I had to improvise." Tirel was nervous, flustered almost. "Somebody new introduced herself, and things ... the evening revolved around her from then on."

"Ooh, the great seducer was himself seduced, the irony." Adani relished this weakness and let him know; the richness of her gloating rolled off of her tongue. "So who was this lucky contessa that made you so weak in the knees? Let me guess; big breasts and a red dress were involved."

Tirel couldn't look her straight on; almost if he was very reluctant to admit this. "Princess Kiara, and she was wearing purple."

Adani's eyes grew wide at his confession; you could almost see the dollar signs light up in her eyes. "No! I don't believe it! You're in with the princess! This moves everything up so much! Now we ca-"

Tirel interrupted. "Her mother hates her, and our kind. I'd be shocked if Kiara wasn't already being punished by Nadia for vanishing with me like we did."

"Still though, she's the goddamn princess; that's got to be worth something! Besides, princess pussy's probably pretty tight, eh? Ohh, I cannot wait until you start tapping that!" The sorceress was still overjoyed at this news.

Tirel said nothing, giving only a small shrug and smile to concede without conceding. Adani smiled wide at her victory and planted a powerful kiss on Tirel's lips before dragging him into the bed by his shirt.

~~~

A letter arrived at the king's palace, sealed in the kind of envelope only a devil would dare send. "Dear Princess", the envelope read, sealed with a mark nobody in the palace could recognize. The paper inside was from no local tree, with a light blue tint and a whiff of crisp fruit upon opening.

"Several nights ago I believe I left a hide jacket as I departed early. When should I return to retrieve it? You'll know which one is mine. -Your Favorite Baron"

Kiara spent much of the following days after the party attending social events with her mother, in an attempt to cool the woman's temper. It was a lazy afternoon when a trusted servant knocked on Kiara's door, entering a few moments later with a letter clutched in her grasp. "My Lady Kiara..." the woman said quickly, her feet carrying her swiftly to the Princess' side. Kiara was seated behind her desk, fingers wrapped around a piece of parchment paper that listed the activities for the next few days. "This letter arrived for you not long ago...I quickly grabbed it before the Queen could read it..."

She sighed and nodded. Her mother had a habit of going through her mail before she was able to read it herself. "Thank you..." She told the servant as she reached out and took the letter. Kiara slid a finger under the seal after observing it curiously. As the envelope was opened and the odd paper was pulled out she felt herself smiling. The scent as she lifted the paper to her nose was unlike any she had ever encountered. After reading the brief note she knew why it was so different. The devil. She couldn't stop the grin from pulling her lips up even as the servant politely cleared her throat. "Ah..of course...Where are the items left behind after the party the other evening?" She asked the servant as she slipped the letter into her desk drawer. The servant told her and then led her to the location where numerous items had been stored for those guests that wished to return for them. It took her only seconds of scanning the room to locate the jacket she knew belonged to the Baron. Kiara plucked the hide material from the chair it had been draped across and held it against her side. "That will be all..." She told her servant before she headed back to her room.

Once alone she wrote a response to the Baron. Kiara ran her fingers over the foreign paper of the Baron's letter for a few moments before beginning her letter.

'Another event will be held for visiting nobles in three nights time. Check for your invitation, as I assure you one will be sent if not already. It will be the first of many reoccurring events in the coming days. I will arrange a guest room for you if you find them intriguing enough to partake in. I know I'll be attending them all. You may retrieve your jacket on the evening after the first event. The east wing garden is particularly good for finding misplaced belongings. -An Intrigued Princess'.

Kiara sealed the envelope and sent it quickly to a trusted servant who would assure that it was delivered in a timely manner to the Baron. Following the delivery, she headed to her Father's study to inquire about the guest list for the upcoming events. The guest list did indeed have Baron Tirel Ebon listed, and he would have an invitation delivered at likely the same time her own letter arrived at his door. While she was on the move she checked the guest rooms reserved and searched for his name. He wasn't staying far, but she made sure to add him to the guest room reservations anyway. No reason to have him rushing off again.

Satisfied that she had planned everything as she wished she returned to her room and hid his jacket. She wouldn't want her mother or her loyal servants finding the jacket among Kiara's things. Oh the drama that would cause.

Kiara sat behind her desk once more and lifted the itinerary for the upcoming days.

'Afternoon Lunch and Discussions on Political Outrage in the Demon Kingdoms.
Beasts of the North. An evening of dinner, cocktails, and beasts on display in the west gardens.
Mutual Relationships. A breakfast and kingdom tour to encourage beneficial relations with local devils.'

She frowned. The Baron would first be invited to the lunch, but he would be encouraged to stay for the other two events as well. She wondered if such topics interested him. By the look of the hide jacket he left behind, she figured he would likely be interested in the evening of beasts.

Subtlety was not part of the game plan as Tirel and Adani were escorted inside the palace. The lovers were in full show with no subtlety but great mystique. Tirel's foreign wardrobe was brash and daring; shades that on paper were a hideous match he forced to coexist in debonair harmony, bending them to his will in an illogical fashion that defied wisdom and peered down the edge. The cut was quite svelte, taut across his lean, borderline emaciated frame. If a man (or a devil, in this case) was willing to show off this much then he must have something worth showing, even if it didn't look so initially. Adani's dress was much more conventional and loose, billowing bold blue colors behind her as she stepped powerfully through the halls. Although her dress had no exotic weave or svelte cuts, it was arguably more bizarre, seeming to actively tantalize onlookers with glimpses of her flesh before covering the moment before their eyes caught something taboo. Mingling with the humans they were figuratively blinding, even though amidst their own kind they were marginal outliers. They spent little time on pleasantries, though. Too much to do, too little time, as they say. Adani took measures to ensure their room was thoroughly private before beginning a trance, preparing for their mischief.

There's no light; windows blackened, doorframe plugged, and candles snuffed. Her eyes are unnecessary as muscle memory takes over. Her mind relaxes. All sensation emerges, subsides, sensations emerge, subside. A mirror snaps. The chest of the deviless inflates, breathe out, breathe in, deflates as she sits on the floor. Fingernails scratch sigils. Paradoxically, the only way to grasp your hands on everything you could ever want is to simply let them all go. Vermilion dust scatters. The eyelids fill with green light, illuminating the shuttered room with an emerald tint that can only come from the magics as they fill her eyes, seemingly to bursting. Adani opens them.

~~~

Several of the guards would remember smelling something not quite like cinnamon on their patrols. At the time they chalked it up to eccentric nobles, although eyebrows were raised later when one snarked about it after his patrol and others corroborated his words. There was nothing they could do, of course, but it was one of those niggling oddities that every few months would be brought up during drinks. Not that any of this mattered to Tirel. No offense to the King, but compared to the assassins of, say, the Titare, these schmucks couldn't find him in his sleep. His terraskin shoes hung from his neck, laces tied together, allowing his silent soles to caress the flagstones with none the wiser. He waltzed down the halls, keeping out of sight, as to not leave any undue trail. He kept a keen eye on the type of staff he eluded, and once he began noticing more and more domestic staff he had figured he was in the right place. Some educated snooping found him a bedroom ostentatious enough that it could only be the king & queens, and within a minute he tucked a note into the portal to the queen's wardrobe and changing room, reading "Live and let live?". She'd only see that when it was time to fit into some new gown, but it was better to set things in place early, while he still had time before lunch. Oh and while he was here...

He made a dash into (what he inferred was) Kiara's bedroom, unfastening a flower from where it was pinned on his jacket. There was a note with this gift as well, politely asking the princess to tuck it behind her ear right before she slept for the night. Leaving the brightly golden, lightly fragrant flower on top of the note by her bedside, Tirel peeked at his surroundings before hustling to make it to the lunch.

By the time he had made it to where the lunch was being held the majority of the guests, dignitaries, and hosts had seated, leaving him to hold their attention while he joined them. With a signature smirk, the baron smoothly slid into the seat stationed next to Adani, offering a quick peck on the cheek to apologize for his errands keeping him. Once the duo had gotten their obligatory glares at their rivals out of the way, they looked towards the head of the table and offered their attention as the lunch began.

A surprising amount of anticipation was gathered in the pit of Kiara’s belly, her nerves tight as a bow string at the thought of seeing the intriguing Baron again. When she arrived at the lunch, most of the guests were already in attendance, but she didn't see him anywhere. At the insistence of her father, she mingled with the other Lords.

One Lord in particular, Malachite Dumali, was eager to steal her attention. It was no grand secret that the Queen was trying to pair her daughter with the wealthy and influential Lord, but it was also no secret that Kiara hated the man. He was forward in an unnerving and uncomfortable way, as if he didn't think he could get in trouble because of his favor with the Queen. Kiara felt physically ill anytime he attempted to touch her, and to be completely honest- he terrified her. He had an entitled sense of power in him that came out often, a power that made him think he could hurt whoever he wanted and be praised for it in the end. The man had been married twice before and Kiara had heard rumors his wives died of traumatic injuries. He also told tear jerking stories about them having “accidents”, but she wasn’t a fool. She suspected him for each of the incidents.

When the bell was chimed for everyone to take their seats, Kiara fled from Malachite’s side and settled in her spot to the side of her father. The Queen was not attending, for which Kiara was relieved. Seated, she glanced down the long table to find the Baron was still visibly missing. An empty seat beside a deviless alerted her and her hands clenched into fists. The moments ticked by and just as everyone calmed for lunch, he strolled in. Her eyes locked onto him immediately, taking in the fascinating choice of dress he wore to the way he so easily ignored the glares of the other guests. To the deviless he went, placing a fleeting kiss to the woman's cheek as he sat down.

Kiara jumped to many conclusions immediately and a flash of jealousy roar to life in her veins. It was illogical to feel such an emotion. She had met the man once and though their meeting had been unlike any other she’d encountered, it didn’t mean anything. Malachite caught her eye, his glare heated as he saw her eyes on the Devil. With a defiant smirk, she slowly let her attention drift to her father who had stood at the head of the table. If Malachite wanted to get upset over her attention to the Baron, he could. She didn’t really care.

“My Lords and Ladies, honored guests...Thank you for joining us. If there are no side comments we will begin our lunch and follow with some light discussions…” The King was warm and welcoming, Kiara’s beaming face clearly showing her affection for her father. The clearing of a throat nearby jerked her attention away and Kiara’s eyes narrowed, knowing immediately whose interruption she was about to hear.

“Your Majesty...With all due respect...I see very little point to this entire lunch. We have seen time and again the Devil population is untrustworthy and…” Malachite cleared his throat, “...Unpredictable…” The air of arrogance pulled a fiery spirit out of Kiara’s veins.

“Lord Dumali...If you are so inclined to share such an opinion with some of our other nobles...of which were not invited...Why is it that you’re here?” Kiara replied coolly, her tune bored as if she’d been through the same song and dance a hundred times from the man. “Truly, I’m not sure how you got invited. This is a gathering for those with an interest in change. If you do not have the ability to halt your stubbornness...My suggestion is for you to leave. We would just hate to discuss such offensive material in front of your sensitive opinions….” Kiara lifted the glass of wine that had been placed at her seat and took a small sip.

The King was taken aback by her response, but he nodded in silence, agreeing with his daughter. Malachite was clearly trying to hold back his rage, a vein in his forehead growing thick as his irritation grew. “Of course, Princess. My mistake….I shall curb my stubborn tongue…” Satisfied with his response, Kiara nodded and turned her attention back to the King. A few more words were shared and then the servants brought in the meal. The lunch was extravagant. Several courses were served, a soup to start, followed by a light salad, which was followed by a small stuffed hen. The hen was served with a few bites of seasonal vegetables just to give a variation for the palette. Just when Kiara thought the meal would end, another dish was brought out. Many of them were teaser plates, a few chunks of tender beef with a flavorful sauce or a meat and cheese arrangement. By the sixth course, they had finally moved onto a light and sweet frozen treat. A scoop of the creamy delight was placed in front of each guest as the King stood up to discuss some of the issues with neighboring Devil Kingdoms.

The topic of Devil unpredictability was brought up again from one of the other nobles and Kiara turned her eye to them. They tensed slightly, not enjoying the attention she gave them, but otherwise they continued their opinion. It was less harsh than Malachite’s but the obvious tension and unease regarding Devil’s was still clear. “I believe we all forget that it is not the Devil’s alone that have issues regarding violence and shifting alliances...Do we not experience the same?” Kiara retorted. A murmur in the room agreed, but why did the Devil’s seem to be in constant unrest?

“Perhaps there is more occurring in their lands that we know nothing of. Issues we do nothing to help ease….Why don’t we ask our guests that have knowledge of such trials…” Kiara’s gaze fell to the Baron and his Deviless. There was a heat to her gaze that hinted at irritation and frustration, but a curiosity as well. Whatever her intrigue regarding the Baron was, she was genuinely interested in the Devil politics as well.

One could be forgiven for simply assuming that Tirel & Adani weren't paying an ounce of attention to the words. Every time you looked their way their food had become a minor engineering feat or arranged into a rather clever pun. One would whisper to the other, giggling would ensue, that sort of thing. They really didn't match the tone of the room, not in the least. It certainly seemed like they enjoyed the meal, though, as each of their plates were wiped clean when servants came to retrieve them.

Any devil that told you they adored being the center of attention wouldn't be lying, and there was an odd sort of energy among those invited to the table. Adani & Tirel were among the most energetic, but

Between the topic, the glares from the other devils, and Kiara's jealousy, Tirel was absolutely thrilled. Only two things he enjoyed more then pissing everyone off, and he was living it up at the table. Why not live it up, while he was here?

When Kiara paused and waited for a response, Tirel let that question linger. The instant before he heard someone raise their voice he spoke, projecting with a casual confidence. "Why don't we ask you why it matters? Is there no incentive in leaving us savage rabble alone with our crowns and knives? Last I checked we weren't about to march south, it's much too warm anyway, so this all seems quite self-indulgent for all the wrong reasons." He hadn't rose from his chair from start to finish, and returned to his dessert when he had finished.

Kiara was beyond annoyed. Time and time again the Baron surprised him and not always in a good way. She frowned at his question and general evasion of her question. "Why it matters?" Kiara said with disbelief. "We are working towards achieving a united front...A unified set of Kingdoms...Is that not reason enough?" Her father, the King, cleared his throat and raised his hand to calm his daughter's sudden spark of anger. "Now, now, my dear. I believe we've reached enough of a debate over such topics. We shall all finish our desserts and then be dismissed to mingle among the castle...We can address the importance of such matters later..." The King declared, smiling at his guests as they all returned to their dessert. Kiara, however, was staring across the table and Tirel and Adani. They infuriated her.

She took a few bites of her dessert and then decided she didn't have the stomach for it. Her emotions had always played a big part in her appetite. How was it that Tirel could act as he had at their last meeting and then come to lunch with such an obnoxious attitude and with the Deviless at his side. Standing up from the table, several of the other Lords stood with her, as was polite for a Lady and a Princess. "Do enjoy your meals, Gentlemen...Ladies..." She nodded to the few woman at the table. Kiara curtsied to her father and then turned on her heels, gracefully departing the hall and heading towards the gardens. She couldn't stand being among others anymore.

On the way to the gardens, she stopped in her chambers, taking notice of the flower at her bedside. Knowing very well that it hadn't been there prior to lunch, she walked over and picked it up. A note accompanied it, from the Baron. He requested that she tuck the flower behind her ear prior to her retiring for the evening. She found the request odd, but she set the flower down, letting his gift fan her anger even hotter. He dared leave her such a gift and then attend lunch to make but a mockery of her?

Kiara groaned and turned away from the flower and note, leaving her chambers and fleeing to the gardens like she'd originally intended. Perhaps the other blooms and warmth of the sun could ease her irritation. Or she'd end up more frustrated. Only time could tell. She knew lunch had been dismissed because prior to entering the gardens, she saw many of the guests wandering the halls. Whether or not she ran into any of them in the gardens was unknown.

Back
Top Bottom