Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

One Fateful Knight (Tictacguy123 x Morgenson)

TicTacGuy123

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
"Make way for the royalty, you heathens!"

A group of knights were moving their way through a crowd that was surrounding the large castle doors of the royal family. There was to be an announcement, one that was to be heard by all those that lived within the castle walls. The news had spread quickly, and the masses had already formed. The royal family were mostly beloved, and the lower class were more than happy to hear what they had to say.

The knights, however, were less than loved. They were known to abuse their power and take advantage of the kindness of the family. It was no surprise that they were being physical with the crowd, pushing back men and women alike. They were cruel, eager to show their strength and dominance, even if it was only over the weaker.

"Move, now!"

As the knights cleared a path through the crowd, their commander stood and observed. Vincent was unlike the others, and was disgusted by their behavior. He was the most experienced of them, having been a warrior for the king since he was young. He had quickly risen the ranks and taken the title of commander, much to the chagrin of the others.

The king did not believe that Vincent had the proper qualities of a man. He was more than talented, but he lacked the hunger of a "real" knight. What the king saw as hunger, Vincent saw as cruelty or arrogance. Still, they had yet to physically assault anyone who had not physically provoked them, which left Vincent largely powerless. All he could do was watch and wait for the royal court to make their way out.

Daniella was just getting back from her daily ride in the woods behind the castle when she noticed everyone gathered at the front of the castle, frowning slightly. She, of course, had been kept out of the loop of what was going on. Quickly dismounting, she handed her horse off to the stable hand, moving into the castle before she was caught by her stepmother who quickly grabbed her arm.

“Daniella, where have you been you little urchin?”

Quickly pulling from her arm, Daniella glared at her. “You have no right to ask me that. You might have taken the role on as my step mother but you will never be the Queen my mother was. Where is my father anyways and what’s going on outside?”

Nadia, her step mom smirked. “Oh, no one told you? Your father is announcing the arrival of a few suitors for your ungrateful self. As I am only Queen by marriage, sadly, you will be crowned as Queen when your father passes. With that, he wants to make sure you are married to the proper man to help run the kingdom.” Daniella’s eyes widened as her hands slowly formed into fists. “You’re lucky my father loves you..” She murmured before walking off to her bedroom. She quickly changed into one of her blue gowns she wore for court, quickly putting her hair into a side braid that looked presentable while grabbing her crown on the way out the door.

Once making it to where rest of the court was standing, seeing her father, who instantly saw her and ushered her towards him. She did this and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Daniella was closed to her father or had been till her own mother had passed. Since he had married Nadia, he had turned cold, it seemed, towards her. “Father, Nadia said something about suitors coming to the castle? You have always told me that I would have my choice in who I marry, as long as they helped me run the kingdom properly.”

As she spoke, her father listened then cut her off. “Daniella, that was something your mother agreed to. I never did and as she’s not here with us anymore, I need to make the right decision in the future of this kingdom and for your security. Now get to where you need to be standing for when they open the doors, end of discussion.” Daniella’s face turned white and she moved to her spot as she saw Nadia walk up to stand next to her father.

Roughly five years ago, Daniella’s mother, Queen Rose, as many called her, had fallen gravely ill and had passed away only a month after that. Within a year of that, her father had remarried which always bothered her. It probably had to do with bad mouthing her mother about the way she raised Daniella but she still thought her stepmother had a hand in making her mother sick.

Vincent stood silently, his hands clasped behind his back as his knights moved to flank his left and right. The royal family was given a wide space to sit safely in, with knights around the perimeter. The townspeople were clamoring to get closer, and were occasionally being shoved back. The sun was high in the sky, and the light was blinding to those in the back staring towards the doors. Vincent knew it was only a few moments longer. Hopefully nothing would happen before then.

In the distance, the glint of steel and the distinct wave of a banner could be seen in the distance. It was red, but the crest was too obscured to be recognized. Vincent was in the dark about this announcement that was to be made, and the arrival of a clearly foreign diplomat made him uneasy. It wasn't like the king to make these arrangements without informing the commander. Still, he was confident in the king's ability to make the decisions that were required to keep a safe kingdom.

Before he could think any longer, the doors to the castle opened, and the royal family came forward. The king and his wife stood front and center, and the princess was slightly off center. His gaze was fixed on Daniella for a moment longer than the rest. He had been friends with the princess since they were both young, and he had watched as she grew into a quite lovely young woman. He had sworn to be a friend and protector to the family for as long as he lived, but he had sworn to go above and beyond for her specifically. He had feelings for the princess, but his duty to protect kept him from acting on them, or even making them known.

"Loyal subjects" began the king, his hands raising as the crowd fell silent, "as many of you know, my heir to the thrown is to be my daughter, Daniella. I have ruled this kingdom for many years, and while I wish I could promise you a much longer rule, I cannot. Preparations much be made for her to take my place when the time comes."

Whispers spread among the crowd as the king paused. "Because my daughter is coming of age, it is time for a man to be selected as her husband. Someone strong, disciplined, capable of handling the kingdom. I have arranged for several young suitors of neighboring kingdoms to come and demonstrate their character. In the the coming weeks I will be choosing one to be my daughter's husband."

He motioned to the caravan that had been spotted by Vincent earlier, the carriages now arriving. There were three in total, with the middle one being the most regal one. Knights rode on the first and last, their expressions that of disgust. The carriages came to a halt, and the knights on the back carriage jumped to the ground, shooing aside commoners and preparing for the dignitary to greet the crowd and royal family.

They finally walked out before sitting and Daniella was trying to keep the emotions from her face. Most people, looking at her, would not know that she was clearly upside over this. The promise her parents made her was now broken and Vincent was the only one, besides her mother, who would notice from afar. Not only were her parent's word broken but so was her heart. There was truly only one person she wanted to spend her life with and he was the knight standing in the center of them all, the commander, Vincent, but he was unaware of her feelings.

Vincent and Daniella had been friends since their childhood as their Mother's were very good friends. Daniella's mother would always tease her about Vincent growing up, saying she liked him and what not. That's when, about a year before she passed, Daniella had confessed to her mother on how she felt for her best friend. The Queen understood and had made that promise to her, that if Vincent became the right status to become a proper suitor for her when she was of age, she would have the choice in marrying him if he felt the same way.

Quickly before anyone could see, Daniella wiped her eyes carefully with her hand cloth she always had tucked into her sleeve and as she did this, she glanced over at Vincent, hoping he'd catch her gaze and see the look on her face, in hopes he'd understand she also had no idea this was happening till right then and there. Maybe he'd see how miserable she was and give their normal sign to meet at her mother's rose garden that had been locked up once her mother had passed so they could talk without being interrupted; that was Daniella's hope anyways. Daniella's eyes stayed looking at Vincent as she wasn't sure what to say or tell him once they met up but one thing was or certain, she may have to tell him how she felt now but wasn't sure if that change things.

She barely was listening to her father's words as he announced the arrival of a carriage and as the murmurs of voices grew louder, Daniella finally looked up and her eyes widened as she saw three carriages and groaned inwardly. The first one has arrived already?! I don't want to do this whatsoever! I just want to talk to Vincent and make sure he knows I want no part in this! Daniella could feel the tears forming at the corners of her eyes again and she started to squirm slightly in her seat as she started to have a small panic attack.

Vincent stood and silently surveyed the area, doing his duty as best he could. He would be lying if he were to say he wasn't a bit distracted with the events unfolding, but he wasn't going to let it effect his job. He glanced over to Daniella, waiting until she looked his way. He flashed the sign to meet at their normal spot, opting to do all the worrying there instead of here. In the meantime, it would be interesting to see who all was going to be courting the princess.

When the carriage's knights had positioned themselves around the dignitaries position, the door opened. An exceptionally pale gentlemen stepped out, his eyes looking over the crowd. His hair was dark and looked as though it had been painstakingly groomed, and his expression was one of boredom. It was difficult to see how exactly he had been chosen as the one to represent his kingdom. Still, Vincent knew it was important to be impartial, as one of these men could end being his superior.

The king stood and extended an arm towards the man. "Alexander! Welcome! This kingdom welcomes you with open arms. Feel free to make yourself comfortable in the guest's quarters of the castle." The man now established as Alexander nodded and motioned to his knights. The two that were dismounted followed him inside, flanking his left and right and keeping the crowd at bay. The remaining knights began moving the carriages to the castle courtyard.

"More young men will be visiting in the coming times" the king continued, "and I expect hospitality to them all. One of them will be a future leader; show them respect." The crowd was visibly deflated, unhappy but respectful of the king's decision. They began to disperse as the king and his wife began making their way back to the castle. "Daniella, stay out of trouble" the king warned. "You will be marrying one of these men, I suggest spending time with them."

Daniella sat there as she should, all prim and proper but she just wanted to get out of there. It was hard enough to keep her feelings for Vincent on the down low but now having to deal with suitors on top of it, not going to be easy. She caught his eyes and saw the sign he normally gave her when they were going to meet, which calmed her down slightly. As Alexander exited his carriage, Daniella blinked a couple times thinking to herself 'Really father? You really think he's someone who should run my kingdom next to me? Not going to happen.' Daniella watched, in disgust, as her father shook his hand. She'd listen to her father yack on about showing them respect and what not before her father had turned to her.

Glancing up at him, she gave him a slight glare. Standing up and turning to go back into the castle with her father and stepmother. "Seriously father? You are more worried about me marrying some random man than you care about me anymore. Mother would be disappointed in you, she's lucky she's not here to see this. Especially the witch of a woman you married. She grabbed me by the arm this morning and I now have bruises started. How is that going to look to my future husband, Father? Not very well, now is it?"

With that, she stormed off, severely upset at everything going on. Stopping half down a hidden corridor, she slid down the side of the wall to the floor and started to cry. She sat there for only a moment though as she needed to meet Vincent at her Mother's Rose garden that had been locked away after her mother passed except when she found the key and started to attend to it every day. Now Vincent and Daniella use it as their meeting point because no one can get in without the key, which she has. Sniffling and wiping her eyes, she took the secret corridor down to the gardens, then took three rights and a left, before arriving at it. She'd slowly open it and slip in, leaving it open just enough to where she could see when Vincent was coming.

As the crowd began to dismiss itself, the knights of the royal family began to group up and lead the king and his wife away to the castle. The two head knights came to Vincent for instruction, and he sent them to make sure Alexander his knights didn't require any assistance with getting settled into the castle. In the meantime, Vincent began to make his way back to his private chambers. It was difficult to sneak away as the commander of the legion, and his armor wasn't going to make it any easier. He removed it in his room, exchanging it for a dark brown cloak with a rather generously sized hood.

He slipped from his room and walked calmly to the gardens. The path had been memorized long ago, as he used to spend time with Daniella and her mother in the gardens when they were children. He was happy that Daniella had decided to revitalize it, as seeing the work of the queen falling away was depressing to say the least. The daughter was growing into a caring and passionate young woman, just like her mother; the garden was proof of that.

Vincent carefully opened the door to the rose garden and closed it behind him, the lock being put back into place. "Daniella!" he said joyfully, already smiling. He embraced her, chuckling quietly. "How have you been? I didn't know this kind of announcement and burden was coming, your father didn't tell me." He broke the hug, taking a step back. "I can't imagine you're taking this too well..." he lamented, his lips twisting downward in unhappiness.

Daniella was sitting on the swing that was in there, leaning against her left hand that held onto the rope tightly, her mind running through everything that had just recently happened. It seemed like forever but heard the door open and close, seeing Vincent. Quickly she got up and returned his hug tightly, a soft sigh coming from her lips as he pulled away and spoke, nodding.

"I figured you didn't know either. You usually warn me about them if you do, which I greatly appreciate Vincent. What am I suppose to do? I don't want to be married to some random man who doesn't want me except to give him heirs to my own throne just so he can have all the power." She was pacing a little, starting to chew on her thumb a little. "If the true Queen was still around, this wouldn't be a problem. My mother knew what I wanted in life and made my Father promise to keep her word if anything ever happened to her. My step mother called me a little urchin this morning because I wasn't in the castle. As for taking it well, no, I'm not taking it well. This goes against everything my mother, the rightful Queen, has ever wanted for me."

Turning to him as she stopped pacing, her eyes full of fear as she chews on her bottom lip, starting to wonder if telling Vincent how she felt was the right thing. Would it really change anything for her future or theirs? "Vincent, there's something I want to tell you but I don't want to lose you..." She says softly, moving up to him, her baby blue eyes staring up at him.

Vincent looked down at her, his own murky brown eyes staring into her own. He could remember as they grew from children into young adults that she had grown into a beautiful young woman. The only thing that hadn't changed were her strikingly blue eyes, which had always been a compliment that any who met her had given. There were few who could resist the charm they had. Vincent wasn't one of the immune, but he wasn't ever hesitant to give her what she wanted anyway.

When she spoke, he shook his head. "You don't have to worry about that Daniella, you know that. I am sworn to serve the royal family, and I have sworn to forever protect you, both as a knight and as a friend. So please, speak your heart to me." His smile was warm and inviting. While he was almost positive it would have something to do with the proposed arranged marriage, whatever it was, he would offer his assistance.

She stared up at him as he spoke, that smile still making her weak at the knees after all these years. It took Daniella a minute as she tried to figure out how she would tell him. Taking a step back from him, she sighed, looking down at her hands. "That's the thing with what I want to tell you. It can change our friendship, the way you look at me and in how you protect me, Vincent." As she spoke softly, she finally looked up at him again. "The reason my mother made the promise she did before she passed away, is because she knew there was only one person I would want when I got old enough to marry..." Daniella hesitated for a moment before letting those blue eyes he wasn't immune to, to stare up into his murky brown eyes, her voice soft.

"I realized years ago that you aren't just my best friend Vincent. I'm also in love with you..." She, however, couldn't look at him anymore after she said that. Turning, she moved to the swing, sitting down onto it as she let those words sink in. There were many reasons Vincent was well looked after as a child then as they became teenagers. Not only because he was best friends to the future Queen but because the future Queen was in love with him. Daniella's father knew how she felt as her mother had made her tell him and it would be the main reason she was being forced into an arranged marriage.

After a couple minutes of silence, she spoke again. "Why do you think my Father didn't tell you about Alexander coming today or of the arranged marriage? He doesn't want us together so he thinks marrying me off to a random suitor is going to change things."

Vincent was taken aback by her declaration of love for him. Partially because he had never considered the fact that she could see him as more than a friend and protector, but also because he had been feeling the same way for quite some time. His feelings were something he didn't talk about frequently, especially when the King was so protective of his daughter. It made sense once she said it; the king had arranged a marriage for his daughter because she would only choose a man that he didn't approve of. Still, it didn't change their situation very much.

"Daniella, I had no idea you felt this way. But I can assure you this will change nothing between us." He made his way over to the swing she now sat on, standing slightly to her side. "I have protected you as a friend and as royalty, but I have always felt a deeper connection with you. You're my closest friend and I would not oppose being wed to you." He gave her a reassuring smile. "I am in love with you as well."

He knelt by the swing, looking at the garden. "It doesn't change your father's wishes, but I will always be here for you."

Daniella gave a slight smile as she felt him near her, listening to what he had to say, twisting her fingers between each other as she thought about what he said. Looking up, she saw him looking at the garden, her smile only growing. Reaching up, she touched his cheek, having him look at her. "There is something that could change my father's wishes. Remember how I stated my mother made my father promise I could marry who I wish? If I remember right, my mother wrote it out and made my father put his signature on it plus his seal. Problem is, since mother passed away, things have been hidden or put into storage that I can not seem to find. If we can find that, it would give us what we want."

After speaking, she dropped her hand to her lap, feeling her chest tighten. "My biggest worry and obsticle is my step mother. I'm still certain she had something to do with my mother's death. She was my Father's whore before becoming his wife but I'm the only one who knew that. That's part of why my father made the promise. I told him I would expose him to mother and get his whore beheaded. Luckily, even if she were to have a child with him, I am still the oldest and first in line for the crown. Do you think you could help with finding it? I understand if you don't."

Vincent ran his fingers through the light stubble on his chin, thinking to himself. "If your father were to sign a document of such importance..." he mumbled to himself, lost in thought. "Your father had established a library that housed not only the largest collection of maps, stories, and registries in all of the kingdom, but it held documents that were important for inter kingdom diplomacy. If the paper would be anywhere, it would be there." He looked at Daniella, then shook his head. "No one has access to the room, however. After your mother died, most of the collection was moved, and a number of the staff were removed from their positions. We would be lucky to find someone who knew anything of this paper."

"As for Nadia, I dare say there isn't much that can be done. She and your father seem be exceptionally fond of each other, and aside from the staff, she isn't rude towards anyone that would wish to be rid of her. If she was involved in your mother's death, then you would have to find the proof yourself. On top of that, we would have to find a way to spread the news to those that would rise up to have her tried." He shook his head, clearly not optimistic. "I don't know if it can be done, but I will help you all the same."

Daniella sighed, her fingers running up and down the worn rope of the swing, watching him for a moment as he looked at her. "I remember when we were younger, I would sneak into that room when my Mother would go in there. She'd always tell me to never tell Father I was there but I'm sure they've changed where that room is now to where it was when we were little, wouldn't they? I know almost every secret passageway in this castle and I haven't been able to refind that room. It bothers me too much Vincent. I feel like he might have had it burned in the fire so there would be no evidence of it."

As he spoke of her stepmother, Daniella grumbled, knowing she didn't have any actual proof of it except the fact that her father was having an affair with Nadia and overheard them talking about her Mother being sick before she was even showing signs of it but it was her, the princess and future Queen, against her father, the King. Daniella as quiet for a while longer, trying to figure out what they could do to, at least, get it so they could be together.

"Vincent, you are a knight, not to mention, one of our best in the kingdom. If I remember right, from my lessons I'm being forced to go to in the afternoons, you are technically a high enough title for us to marry. That law has been in place for centuries and can not be overturned as it is one of our original laws from when the kingdom was first founded." Daniella looked at him, her eyes locking with his. "Only question is, how do we force my father to obey said law. The only way I could see it is if we can find one of the old staff who knew of the room and were fired after my Mother's death."

She broke their eye contact, feeling her heart racing at him being close to her. Daniella took a deep breath before letting it out slowly. "Vincent, I don't want to marry anyone else. I want you and only you. I will not marry any of the men my father wants me to get to know. My heart has and will always belong to you." She spoke softly, reaching out, she'd take his hand lacing their fingers together. Daniella was scared to make eye contact with him again, knowing if she did, she'd probably break out crying or kiss him or even both. She wasn't sure exactly as her emotions were all over the place since the announcement. After a moment of not looking at him, though, she finally did, part of her hoping he'd kiss her.

Vincent nodded, looking back into her eyes firmly. "Daniella, I would love nothing more than for us to be wed. And you are correct, our kingdom does indeed have a law that allows knights to be wed to royalty. However, it has been ages since such a difference in opinion between father and daughter has occurred. And if your father or the suitors that have come for your hand find out that you oppose them so aggressively, it could mean war for our people." He took her hand and leaned an inch closer. "For the time being, you mustn't let your father or the other men know that you are seeking to rattle the foundation of our kingdom."

"But I know that your devotion and love is to me, and I cherish that deeply." With those final words, Vincent could no longer contain himself. He quickly leaned forward, pressing his lips to hers in a soft but confident kiss. Her lips felt warm and welcoming, and he knew he had made the correct choice in both a friend and now pseudo-lover. When the kiss was broken, he instinctively let out a relieved and pleased sigh. "That was a long time coming my dear" he cooed.

Daniella sighs, knowing he's right but nods. "They won't suspect a thing love. I'm not going to put our people in danger. We don't need innocent lives being taken when we can do this with being creatively sneaky, which I know we are both very good at." She says this with a grin. "Don't worry, they won't ever know till it's too late and then they will have to agree to us being wed." Daniella's heart went up into her throat as she felt his fingers slide between his more, feeling his warm breath as he had leaned in a bit closer, her eyes glancing between his eyes and lips, trying not to make it obvious at what she wanted and knowing it was probably what he wanted too.

As he spoke once more about her devotion and love is to him along with cherishing it deeply, she finally felt his lips press against her's. Daniella instantly pressed her lips back up against his deeply and softly but also confidently, her free hand moving to his neck, her thumb brushing up against his jaw and cheek lightly. As they kissed it was like everything else she was worried about disappeared in those few short moments. As the kiss broke, Daniella let out a soft whimper, not wanting him to pull away. Breathing deeply from the kiss, her eyes still closed as her forehead would rest against his, moving her hand that was laced with his and pressed both hands to either side of his neck lightly, smiling at his words.

"I would have to agree my love. Is it bad I don't want to leave your side right now? I know the moment I'm back in the castle, it'll be business as usual; you as my personal guard...Oh, I didn't tell you that nor did Father, did he?" She said softly, pulling back some as her eyes open, looking at him. "You are to be my personal guard while the suitors are here to visit. They want a guard with me at all times and I told father the only way I would agree to a guard is if it were you. He had to agree as I asked in front of the full court which they agreed on because of how wonderful you are at your job."

As she finished telling him about his new duties, she pressed another soft kiss to his lips, smiling as she pulls away as her blue eyes sparkle some. "I love you, Vincent. I always have and I always will." Daniella truly didn't wanna go back to the castle. She wanted to stay in their secret garden together but Daniella knew that wasn't going to be possible since they'd start to look for her sooner than later.

Vincent nodded and stood, a smile on his face. "I will guard you with my life. These men will have to try their absolute best if they wish to harm you." He looked to the gate and then to the looming castle, sighing as he stared at the sturdy and intimidating walls. "This castle used to feel like home, like a safe haven. Now I feel like you are at risk more than ever before." He looked down at the princess, his eyes both hopeful yet sad. "Come, let us return to the castle. If you wish, you may seek to meet the first man, Alexander. I'm sure your father will press you to spend time with him the longer you wait. If you'd rather return to your room, I can arrange for that as well."

He helped Daniella to her feet, leading her out the gate and back towards the barracks. "Before we can roam the castle, I have to change" he said, heading towards his private quarters. There were two large barracks to house the knights. One was exceptionally formal, used to house the lower level knights. The other barrack belonged entirely to Vincent, and he had spent years making it his own. "I don't know if you would feel comfortable inside" he said quietly, looking around the hallways as he opened the door. "So I'll try and be quick." They entered and he closed the door, making his way to the bedroom. "Make yourself comfortable my dear."

She returns his smile softly, watching him though as she saw the look in his eyes, her heart hurting, knowing exactly how he was feeling as he spoke. She stood up and touched his arm lightly. "My love, I'm safe as long as you're around. I was able to convince him to let you be my personal guard because he knows no one else could do it better with our history." As he spoke about meeting Alexander, she sighed but nodded. "We can set it up to meet him and spend time with him. I don't need my father poking his nose around or his spies doing it."

She took his arm as they headed for his private quarters, looking around a little as she had never been to the barracks that housed the knights, let alone never knew Vincent had the one whole barrack to himself. Daniella didn't speak as he spoke but followed him inside, looking around a little bit as he told her to make herself comfortable. "Take your time love, no need to rush." She says softly, giving him a smile. After looking around the area a little bit, noticing pictures she recognized from when they were younger that they had drawn, smiling to herself as she noticed one that she had drawn for him not too long ago. Art was one of her passions and hobbies. She was quite good at it but only Vincent had ever seen her best artwork.

Vincent made his way to his bed quarters, closing the large wooden door and leaving Daniella alone in what could be considered the living room. He stripped away his drab, plain clothing that he used to keep himself from drawing too many curious eyes when he wanted to move about the kingdom unseen. The clothes lay heaped on the floor as they were quickly replaced by shining pieces of silver and gold armor, plating covering his chest and legs. The crest of the kingdom, a black lion in the glow of a golden sun, was displayed proudly upon his chest.

He returned to the foyer, smiling at Daniella. His gaze followed hers, noticing her looking at the art he had hung around the walls. "Oh, these" he said amusingly, feeling a hint of embarrassment. "I've grown so accustomed to them that I hardly thought that it would be odd for you to see them. I find your work to be lovely." He stood next to the largest piece, one of his personal favorites. "If you hadn't been born the daughter of the king, I feel like this would be your livelihood. Showing the world a more beautiful depiction." He shrugged and walked back to his princess. "Maybe I'm just a hopeful old man in a young body."

"So, where would you like to go my dear?"

Daniella was admiring her own artwork when she about jumped out of her own skin when he spoke, turning slightly to look at him before looking back at the art on his wall. A slight blush came to her cheeks as he spoke about her talent but it also made her smile, knowing she had a talent that a normal commoner would have had and if need be, she could take care of herself if it ever came down to that. Daniella knew her father would never disown her because of the relationship she has with the Queen Mother or as she called her, Grandmother.

Turning to him fully as he walked back to her, a smile on her face as she reached forward, taking his gloved hands. "You're right though love. If I hadn't been born the daughter of the king, art would be my livelihood, and I'd already be married to the head knight." Daniella finished her sentence softly and low, wishing things were easier for them. She closed her eyes, turning away from him as she rubbed at her arms, taking a deep breath as he asked her where she'd like to go.

Daniella turned to Vincent, her eyes staring up at him. "In all honesty?" She asked softly, moving up closer to him, pain clearly in her eyes. "I want to run off and fake my death just so I can be with you without hiding it." Tears start to flow down her cheeks, turning away as she covers her face. She wasn't sure how she was going to continue to have to hide this, especially if they couldn't even show each other affection when they were around each other. It was clearly killing her inside at the idea of if they were found out before she could find the paperwork, in which, she'd lose Vincent and have to watch him be killed. Daniella was confident she couldn't bare that.

Vincent sighed as she turned away from him, breaking down. It pained him to see her feel this way, but he felt the same. It was going to be a struggle to keep their relationship a secret, that much was clear. Still, it was imperative that they keep their love secret while dismantling the corruption that had set in since her mother's death. There was the easy way to get away with it all: fake her death, run far from the kingdom and find a new life. But Vincent couldn't help but feel that it could cause more issues than it would solve.

"My darling" Vincent started, stepping towards Daniella, his gloved hand resting lightly on her shoulder, "we have an enormous task ahead of us. If your step mother truly is as devious as you believe her to be, she could be orchestrating much of this behind closed doors. Her plans could be widespread and devastating, causing unrest and injustice throughout our kingdom, and perhaps through neighboring kingdoms as well. We must be strong. I will be your anchor during these trials."

"We must keep the guests unaware of our plans as we investigate the possibilities of your step mother being involved in the death of your mother, and we must see if the document your father signed truly exists still. If either of these things come to light, it could become very dangerous for the royal family, including you unfortunately. Should that occur, if it is still easier to run, we can feign your passing. No one would second guess it if it appeared that a rioter had taken your life." He embraced her gently, but firmly. "We will make it, I promise you."

She turned to look at him as his hand came to her shoulder, her eyes staring up at him as he spoke, sighing a little bit. Daniella knew he was right but didn't want to have to deal with the lies they'd be telling, let alone dealing with the asshole suitors her father would have running around over the next few weeks to a month. Inwardly she was praying to the Gods that they would find what they needed quickly vs it taking a long time.

Daniella hugged him as he embraced her, giving him a soft kiss as she pulled back, her hand touching his cheek lightly."I will do what I can to keep the men from knowing our plan. If it comes down to us having to fake my death, then so be it but let's hope that is the last thing we have to do. This kingdom is mine; not the woman who calls herself Queen." She fixed her hair and moved out the door of his room, waiting for him to join her. Once he did, she took a deep breath and they made their way to the quarters of the suitor who was currently there to get to know the princess. Hopefully, she could get him to leave sooner than later so he would be one less person to deal with while they tracked down the papers.

"So, first I need you to track down someone for me. She no longer works in the castle but I was super close with her when she was the maiden for my mother. I know she lives on the outside of the main city somewhere. Once you have found her exact location, get her a message that I will be visiting soon after that. I can get in and out of the castle without anyone seeing me and as you know, I've been doing it for years." She whispered this to him so if anyone was nearby they wouldn't hear her.

Back
Top Bottom