Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

An Unexpected Romance [Xanatos and Sigr]

Austin went willingly into the group hug when Alex beckoned him. When the group finally separated, Sarah was left standing in the middle of the group trying not to ball her eyes out in front of everyone. She clutched the medicine tray to her chest as she smiled at everyone, trying to get herself under control. When Mike pulled her into another embrace she gave a brief laugh before meeting him in the loving kiss. The contact meant the world to her. Even more so because Mike was so comfortable kissing her in front of friends and family. When the kiss broke and he directed his question at her mother, she turned to face her with hopeful eyes.

"Of course she can. If she's ready." She answered, smiling brightly. Even she was beginning to tear up a little, so overjoyed for her little girl. She brought a glass of water over to the table, which drew Sarah to return to it. She set the medicine chest down, opening it to take her first dose. The collection of pills in the tray seemed daunting. She simply stared at them for a few moments, still not sure it was real. Then, one by one, she took each pill and chased it with the water. Her free hand never left Mike's.

She couldn't have been more thankful to have her friends there for that first step. She brought her hand up to wipe away her tears, turning to face Mike. She smiled up at him, her breathing off rhythm from excitement and emotion. She leaned forward, kissing him deeply. Possibly deeper and more intimately than she ever had previously. Her arms wrapped around him tightly. When she pulled away she was out of breath. "Th-thank you for sharing this with me." She leaned her head against his chest. Despite how much she loved this moment, the day was fading. It would become too cold to swim if they didn't do so soon. "I need to get changed before I can swim." She pulled away slowly, looking up at him. "I won't be long, I promise."

As Sarah headed back inside, the bag containing her swimsuit in hand, Austin strode over to where Mike was standing. Even he was a touch emotional about all of it. "Thanks man." He said softly, placing his hand on his shoulder. "I'm not sure any of this would have happened if she hadn't met you."

It took Sarah a few moments to work up the courage to don the swimsuit. She stared at it, clearly intimidated by it for several minutes. Would she look good in it? Would Mike like it? Would it be too weird? Swimsuits were very tight and she still had her... She shook her head, shaking free of that line of thought. Carefully, she removed her new jewelry from Mike and Alex and hiked the dress over her head. A few moments later, she re-entered the backyard wearing the cute bikini. Not over done or extremely sexy, more cute and tasteful. In line with Sarah's general fashion sense. Her face was beet red as she stood on the patio. Her hands clinging to one another in front of her to conceal that which made her uncomfortable. "I... I'm ready..."

Alex stood by Ms. Mayes side, not far from Austin, close to her for support. It was true that they had been living together for a short period, but even if they didn't, Alex would still be that affectionate with her, that supportive. She always was a loyal friend, there in case of need. "Go" she hushed, looking at Sarah with a smile as she fiddled with the medicine chest.

Mike was close to Sarah, not breaking contact even if that made moving around awkward, as they were each others lifeline, their support. As the pills disappeared one by one, Mike smiled at Sarah, his eyes on hers, sharing the moment as one, when taken by surprise she threw herself for a kiss. Hugging her waist, Mike supported her as she bridged the height difference to kiss him as she has never done before. It was tender and loving, full of joy and celebration, but as Mike returned the kiss it felt also deep, passionate. If it wasn't for the spectators, Mike almost felt the need to open further, letting her slip the tongue in if she wanted.

One the kiss was over, Mike hugged Sarah against his chest, caressing her hair. "Thank you for opening yourself to me, for making me part of this" he whispered, kissing the top of her head. "Oh, yes, I can't wait" Mike nodded nervously, suddenly aware of where he was, and who was looking at them. Austin bridged the space between them, and while Alex was busy with Ms. Mayes she threw a playful glance to Mike, making him wonder what was she up to and what did she know that he didn't. "I can't even begin to say how glad I am that I met both of you" Mike took Austin in a brief hug, "don't worry" he added as an afterthought. Austin had never acted like the fierce guardian he knew he could be with Mike, trusting him with Sarah's well being, but reassuring him was comforting, at least for Mike.

"Maybe we could help your mom with the cleaning..." Alex came close to the two friends, softly punching Austin's shoulder. Her face made clear now that she was up to something, more so that close, as she almost giggled looking at Mike. "Or set up the console or whatever that gets us out of the way" Alex insisted, subtlety had never been her forte.

"There is no need to-" Mike started to note, when Sarah stepped into the backyard in a bikini, making short work of any capability to talk Mike could have in a moment. What did he expect? A full body swimsuit? Shorts and a tank top? He had tried not to imagine her like that, trying to avoid any embarrassing moments like the time in his house weeks ago, and now there she was. Mike clumsily got rid of the white shirt and navy shorts he was wearing, leaving them in a lawn chair, revealing some black swimming trunks underneath.

Alex managed not to giggle seeing the reaction that Mike had, turned into a graceless clown for a moment, but she was clearly happy of the result the outfit choice had. "You look amazing Sarah" Alex nodded appreciatively. It was a cute piece that worked with her lean body, making her appear cute and charming, far from obscene. Both parts had little frills that helped the whole notion, adding a hint of volume on the top, and helping with concealment at the bottom. "Austin and I were about to..." she looked at him, eyes wide open so he followed her. "Not be here. Have fun!" she just said, not helping Sarah with her heavy blush, kissing her on the cheek and walking into the house.

"You look fantastic" he said while approaching, as Mike was making a conscious effort to keep his eyes in Sarah's, but seeing her bare midriff with that cute navel wasn't helping his force of will. "It's just us" he whispered coming even closer. "There is nothing to be embarrassed about" Mike rested his hands on her shoulders, waiting a bit for her to be a little bit more comfortable. "You know I like you. All of you" Mike confessed, his face turning red this time. His hands traveled down from shoulders to elbows, but stopped there before going lower to her hands. "Lets swim a bit" Mike muttered, hoping that maybe partially concealed by water Sarah would feel better.

Austin was also a little confused by Alex's behavior. Why did they have to leave? Truly it was the male curse to be clueless in potentially romantic scenarios. Still, he didn't argue. "Sure, why not?" He looked back to Mike when he insisted it wasn't necessary. Then his eye line followed his, finding his sister standing in a bikini. He was a little shocked himself, having never seen his sister dressed like that. Suddenly everything clicked. "R-right. Alex and I will be inside if you need us. Have fun, lovebirds!" He teased, with a smile. "I take it this was your plan all along?" He asked Alex as they entered the house.

Sarah stood silent for several moments, her wide nervous eyes never leaving Mike's as he approached her. His hands on her shoulders made her shiver softly. She bit her lip as he spoke of her not needing to be nervous with him. She knew he was right, but it was still a new situation for her. As his hands moved to her elbows, she lowered her gaze a moment, looking down at their hands joined between them. The sight made her smile. Her hands finally separated as her fingers gently traced his toned stomach, up to wrap around his neck. She pulled him down into a brief kiss, rising on her tip-toes to meet him half way. "Swimming sounds great."

She led him to the pool, climbing into the water slowly. She wasn't the most accustomed to swimming, barely even knowing how, and it showed in how clumsily she moved about in the water. She ducked under the water, to wet her head before throwing her hair behind her head. She smiled at him sheepishly, placing her hands in front of her again, though not necessarily protectively. "So, do you really like it?" She asked, looking down at the swimsuit. "I was worried it might be too early for me to wear a bikini, but you know Alex."

While Mike was completely baffled by Sarah's appearance and trying to get rid of his clothes to end up with just his swimming trunks, Alex was looking at Austin in disbelief. Luckily he managed to notice what was going on and got himself into the house, followed by Alex almost pushing him around. "I wouldn't exactly say it was a plan" Alex confessed once inside. "One day I caught her looking at a store window, her eyes fixed on it, but she didn't dare to buy it, so I bought it for her" she explained with a smile. "It was mostly a gift for her to get happy than something to wear with Mike around, but it's all good" she shrugged, giving it no importance. "We could be trapped inside for a while, any ideas?" Alex asked, wandering around the house in her white bikini.

Mike shivered and restrained himself when Sarah caressed his abdomen, receiving a cute and short kiss before heading to the pool. Even if it was Sarah the one that guided him to the pool, it was soon apparent that she wasn't specially adept at it, so he didn't go from her vicinity. As Sarah went briefly underwater, Mike blushed, seeing her emerge with her hair back and a small smile on her face. "It's amazing, I think my heart skipped a beat when you appeared wearing it, God bless Alex" he admitted with a laugh. It was a bright day free of worries, and being there with Sarah like that was making him grow a bit bolder. He would still respect Sarah's wishes, and as much as Ms. Mayes wanted, Mike promised that he was going to wait until she was ready to get on a real date, so he said nothing about it, not yet.

What he dared to do was get closer to Sarah, putting his hands on her bare waist just above her hips. She was so soft to the touch, Mike's eyes were lost on hers as she looked at Sarah's face. "I..." Mike mumbled, his soft spoken self betraying him. "You know I'm fine with all of you" he looked briefly to her hands between them. "You don't need... you don't have..." Mike didn't know how to word it. "I just want us to be open with each other, I... it meant a lot when..." he stammered, flushing. "When you slept at my house and said you didn't mind when I... well, got excited" Mike finally voiced.

"I know that it's not the same" Mike soon continued. "But I want you to feel as comfortable as possible with me, with yourself. We are a couple after all, I want you-" he stuttered. "I mean I want you to be open with me, as I am with you" Mike nodded. "I talked a lot of how gorgeous you look, how your touch makes me feel but what I mean is that it's fine you do the same, don't be embarrassed" he finished, knowing that he was asking a lot of her, but Mike wanted Sarah to feel comfortable with him, slowly stepping into an understanding where they had nothing to hide from each other. They had bared their feelings, their hearts, and yet, even if it was understandable, they were as awkward as any teenager when it came to their bodies.

Sarah's face flushed red when Mike approached, his hands finding home on her bare waist. She looked up into his eyes as he spoke. Despite his nervous juggling of words she understood exactly what he was trying to say, and he was right. She was always so nervous around him, unable to be completely comfortable and open with him. When he mentioned the night she stayed over, she grew even brighter red. "W-well... I want to be... It's just that, being trans and all, I'm always afraid that if you see... You know... That you won't be attracted to me anymore." Her hands returned to covering herself as her gaze fell away. "I'm afraid you'll be disgusted." She looked up at him again, stepping closer to him. "It's just... You excite me too. Whenever I think about you when I'm alone, I can't help it. It's hard trying not to look in the locker room." She blushed once more, her hands coming up to rest on his shoulders lightly.

She wrapped her arms around his neck as she leaned in to kiss him. The touch was brief and tender. As she pulled away she held him close for several seconds. "I think you're stunning. Your touch drives me crazy... I always want to try to go further but I'm not a girl that way yet. I don't want to push you. I'm scared you won't want me that way." She blushed brightly, pulling back. "I guess I'm just afraid of the illusion being broken. If you suddenly saw me as a boy again, if I was suddenly Seth again, I don't know if I could handle it." She looked down at the water. She bit her lip nervously, glancing up at him. "It's my own insecurities, I'll get over it." Her arms wrapped around her own waist. "Can we go out sometime? Like a date?" She asked finally. "I think I'm ready."

"I already confessed that I'm confused and scared as well" Mike continued as Sarah talked about her fears. "But that's because I like you, all of you-" he added, Sarah's comment about her moments alone, her gaze in the locker room rendered Mike silent, joining her in the blushing. "I... I'm glad you like me and yeah, the locker room is..." Mike sighed. "Lets just say that I'm glad that your brother is there, or it would be even harder to avoid sneaking a peek, something I managed to do until now" he confessed with a nervous laugh.

Was Sarah saying what he thought she was saying? She wanted it, she wanted to... be with Mike, and yet she didn't want to push him, she was the one protecting him once more. "I don't think that will ever happen, Sarah" Mike said. "But I'll wait until you are ready. Just know that you don't have to be brave for the both of us, not with this" he continued, joining the courage to speak further. "I may have no real experience with... that, but I'm willing to explore what works for us, what makes Sarah and Mike happy when we are... you know, alone" he muttered, that was the best he could do and it didn't even include the word sex. It wasn't as the idea didn't scare and excite him, but he was willing to give it a try when Sarah was up to it, being sure that he would never stop liking her.

"It's a bit funny..." Sarah's question made Mike giggle softly. "Your mother told me that it would be nice for us to go on a date on your birthday" he confessed, revealing that bit of his talk with her mother. "Of course, it doesn't have to be today if you don't want to. I'm hardly dressed appropriately, although that could be fixed with a trip home" Mike said. "If you think that your birthday has been exciting enough we can leave it for the weekend, if not... just tell me and I'll run to get changed" he offered, getting awfully close and cuddly with Sarah, caressing her wet hair.

Sarah couldn't suppress the smile that came over her features as he spoke, even as the discussion grew increasingly embarrassing. She was glad that they were able to discuss it, no matter how awkward it was. She could almost feel tears burning in her eyes when he spoke of taking their time and figuring things out. To have an ounce of his patience and understanding would make anyone a dream boyfriend. He really was the ideal partner for her. She wrapped her arms tighter around him, as he drew closer, sighing contently into his embrace. "You're so sweet." She managed to whisper, not trusting her voice if she tried to speak up.

She pulled away from him, only slightly, to look up at him. She didn't want to separate, enjoying his tender embrace and innocently exploring hands. "Maybe we could go out this weekend? It's been a really exciting day. I don't want to fall asleep on you." She confessed with a small giggle. "As for the other thing... Maybe when I'm a little further along? I think it'll be better when I'm more comfortable with myself." She knew full well that she wouldn't be finished with everything for a few years yet, she had done an insane amount of research on the process. But perhaps when the hormones really started working, and she was more definitively feminine, she would feel better about the prospect of sex.

"We've got a date then, weekend it is" Mike nodded with a warm smile, his mind racing about the possibilities, about how sweet it was going to be to finally be able to go out on a date with Sarah. "I'm so glad you had a fun birthday" he honestly said, thinking about something for a moment. "And Austin too, he looked happy with Alex..." he mumbled. "Do you think they are... Alex seems different as of late, but she hasn't told me anything and if I asked she would punch me" Mike joked.

As a teenager that was completely crazy about his girlfriend, of course that Mike wanted to share everything with Sarah, to complete each other in every way possible, and even with his own doubts, he was eager. Not only because he adored Sarah, but also wondering about how he would react, beyond being a nervous bunch, of course. "Whenever you feel comfortable" Mike said, adapting to Sarah's needs. "I just wanted you to know that you don't have to back off for me, even if I have my own moments of doubt in the sexual department, I'm one hundred percent sure about us making it work" he nodded.

Sarah's smile grew wider as they confirmed their weekend plans. She nodded softly when he mentioned the birthday and Austin. She had to take a minute to take stock as Mike brought up the possibility of Alex and Austin. Was it possible? She supposed it could be, but she'd honestly been so preoccupied with the first steps of her transition, the legal situation with her father, and her relationship with Mike, that she had managed to loose track of her brother in all of it. The idea of Austin and Alex being together was beyond cute, especially given how competitive they were, but was it wishful thinking on their part? "Yeah, Austin would be a bit defensive if I asked too."

When the subject of sex was broached again, she blushed but nodded. Thankful that Mike was understanding and concerned with her comfort level. Even if she knew that Mike loved every part of her, she needed to love herself too. She needed to have that personal level of comfort. If she could look in the mirror and not be immediately struck with an image that frustrated her, she would feel better about exposing herself to someone else. "Thank you, Mike." She finally said, hugging him close again. "You're the best."

-----

When that weekend finally arrived, Sarah was a nervous wreck. Even as her mom helped her to style her hair and makeup she nervously fidgeted. She hadn't had the opportunity to make herself pretty for Mike. She slipped into the dress that her brother had bought her. Wearing the necklace from Mike and the bracelet from Alex. Her hair was curled nicely, hanging some in front of her left eye. She stood in the living room, waiting anxiously for Mike to arrive. Which was when her brother approached her.

"Everything's going to be fine." He reassured, hugging her tightly. "You look lovely." He whispered in her ear. "Mike adores you, but you already know that. You two have fun tonight."

"Thanks Austin." She mumbled quietly. "What do you have planned tonight?"

"Nothing really. Probably watch a movie." He responded with a shrug.

"Text with Alex?" Sarah asked, testing the waters a bit.

"W-well, maybe. I dunno. We'll see what happens." Austin countered, waving her off and trying to hide a blush. "Hey is that Mike coming up the driveway? Have fun!" He quickly bailed from the room, causing Sarah to giggle softly. She turned to face the front door, taking a deep breath.

"Do I look good?" Mike asked to the worst audience he could have, Alex and his father Arthur. Both of them were as clueless as he was when it came to fashion, so it was more asking for confirmation and support than anything else.

"You are fine son. You'll be fine" Arthur said, sounding as firm and serious as always, but he couldn't hide a hint of joy in his face.

"As long as you keep your back straight and stop slouching..." was Alex's feedback, even if she did it with a smile.

"Well, thanks you two" Mike protested softly, taking the car keys his father was offering him. He didn't have a ride of his own, so he had to borrow his father's somewhat bulky sedan, cleaned up for the occasion.

"I trust you" was all what Arthur needed to say, something completely true that applied to not only the keys that he had lend him, but also to his general behavior. "I have to get up early tomorrow, so I'm hitting the bed sooner than later" he said with a stretch.

Alex escorted Mike outside, the bike that Austin had gifted her parked just outside the house. "I had to head home as well" she said, particularly quiet, strange of her.

"I thought I was the one nervous for the date" Mike joked, a laugh echoing his words.

"Oh, it's not that, I'm sure you'll be fine" Alex shrugged. "Gotta go! Bye!" she kissed Mike's cheek and picking up the bike, bolted at top speed.

Mike frowned, wondering what was going on with her, but he had other stuff to worry about, as he picked his father's car and drove to Sarah's home. A few minutes later, Mike parked on the driveway, getting out of the car trying to look as sure and determined as possible. A navy blue jacket got the best out of his broad swimmer shoulders, giving Mike a grown up aura that could make easier to see Arthur's image on him, even if Mike's eyes were softer, gentler. A quite standard white shirt was under the jacket, covering his broad chest, being a bit loose on the neck to diminish the seriousness of the outfit. Steel gray pants and black shoes completed the outfit, showing that Mike had put care on looking the best he could for their first date without being too formal.

Softly knocking on the door, he awaited fidgety, eager to see Sarah.

Sarah heard the car pull into the driveway and waited with bated breath for the knock to come at the door. She could almost hear her heart beat while she waited. Why was she so nervous about this? They'd been dating for a few weeks at this point. They'd even shared a bed a couple times. So, why was she so nervous about the date itself? She took several deep breaths, trying to steady her heart, but all efforts were for naught as that knock finally arrived. It startled her back to reality, causing her to stare wide-eyed at the door. It took her half a second longer than it should have to approach the door, slowly pulling it open.

As her eyes fell on her boyfriend her breath caught. He looked so sharp when he dressed up. She stepped closer reaching for his hand tentatively. She looked up at him after a long moment of building up the courage to do so. "You... You look incredible tonight..." She managed to say in a near whisper, her cheeks threatening to catch up to her hair in color. "I um... I mean... Not to say that you don't normally look great. It's just... Wow." She bit her lip to try to silence her embarrassing babbling. She closed her eyes to take in a deep breath. She was almost afraid to touch him he looked so nice. She smiled sheepishly. "I'm ready when you are." She finally concluded. "What did you have in mind for tonight?"

"I'm glad it worked, didn't expect a wow, but I liked receiving one" Mike smiled, trying to ease Sarah into a more comfortable attitude. He knew it wasn't easy for her, even if they had been together and in more... well, compromising situations than that, but for both of them that first official date was special. Mike's eyes wandered a bit, taking in how beautiful Sarah was with a dress, her hair done and all that. As she had mumbled, it wasn't like Mike didn't like daily Sarah, she was amazing, but he could see how much effort she had put on that date and looked lovely as a result.

"You look gorgeous" Mike admitted, a brief kiss bridging the distance as he took her gently by her hand and escorted her outside her home, closing the door. "I wanted to keep things classic, simple. Maybe I'm as old fashioned as my father" Mike admitted when Sarah asked him about the plans. "I have a reservation at DaVinci" Mike said, talking about a cool Italian restaurant that had an intimate upper floor to have dinner. Salem wasn't specially big, so there weren't many fancy places like in a huge city, but that was one of them and knowing Mike, he had been thoughtful about the environment.

"After that we can go for a movie if you want something entertaining or a walk through the riverfront park if you want something calm" Mike escorted Sarah to the passenger seat, opening the door for her, picking a small bouquet of half a dozen roses and giving them to her. "I was so nervous that I forgot to take these to the door" he said, showing that despite how sharply he dressed and how many plans he did, good old Mike was still under that jacket and as nervous as Sarah was.

Sarah returned Mike's smile when tried to ease her nerves. She caught his eyes looking her over briefly. As embarrassing as it was, she was glad that he approved. She couldn't suppress the blush that came over her features when he complimented her appearance. She smiled widely, accepting his hand when it was offered. "I think a little old fashioned is sweet." She listened carefully as the approached the car, a little surprised to hear that he had made reservations. "R-really? Wow..." She almost felt undeserving of such pampering on their first date. It spoke volumes to her about how important it was to Mike that this date was memorable and special. It made her feel special. Even going so far as to open the door for her. Then the bouquet was presented. As charming and handsome as Mike was, it was these small moments that really endeared him to her. Him being nervous enough to forget the bouquet was simply too cute for words.

She accepted the flowers, bringing them to her nose to smell them. "These are lovely." She commented cheerfully, her face lighting up. She climbed into the passenger seat, careful to even out her dress before buckling her seat belt. She checked her appearance in the mirror one last time, concerned that not passing well enough could spoil their whole night. Everything about going out in public so dolled up had her nervous. She looked over to Mike when he joined her in the car, offering a nervous smile. She kept the bouquet hugged loosely against her chest as they drove, still amazed at how much forethought Mike had put in to their first date.

"I'm glad you like them" Mike nodded with a slight blush, as it had been a bit embarrassing buying them, having to endure the knowing eyes and the smirk of the owner that had been seemingly enjoying the view of the shy teenage boy that she had offered a small discount. "I have... little to no experience with this, but I wanted it to be special" he admitted. "You deserve it, we do deserve treating ourselves a bit" Mike added with a smile. With how hards things had been, and the road they had ahead, Sarah's birthday had been a welcome rest to start a new chapter of their lives. This day wasn't a celebration of their feelings, but also a moment where they could be brave and be themselves, their real selves, without having to hide from anything nor anyone.

"I've been wanting to take you here" Mike confessed. It was always a delight to cook, specially for his loved ones, but he also liked to taste new things. It wasn't just out of his love for cooking, but also a way to learn stuff as well, and what better than to share his passion with Sarah? As all things in Salem, it wasn't a long drive, something to thank for since Mike had just gotten his license. Parking in one of the designated spots in front of the place, Mike got out of the car and opened the passenger door for Sarah, helping her out so she could take care of her dress.

"A reservation for Michael Lynwood" Mike said to the hostess, a middle aged woman that had been all smiles and gentle tone when he had come to make the reservation. He could have done so on the phone, but he wanted to pick a table in the upper floor where Sarah could be comfortable in public and yet don't be in the middle of the dinning floor. It was unneeded, as the hostess recognized him immediately, but it was still well mannered to introduce himself. It was a bit strange how old the clothes and calling himself with his whole name made him feel. The woman escorted them to their table in a cozy corner of the beautiful upper floor, as Mike helped Sarah seat and the hostess left them with the menu to decide in privacy, reminding them to ask any questions they may have.

Sarah kept the bouquet hugged gently against her chest for the whole ride. She couldn't help the smile that spread across her face when he said he'd been wanting to take her here. THe restaurant must have meant a lot to him. "I can't wait to see it." She replied softly. Despite her nerves, which made her heart pound in her chest, she was all smiles. Mike was so charming, even if the traits she found most charming were subtle reveals that the young man she was falling for was underneath the nice clothing. She was a little surprised when Mike appeared at the passenger side of the vehicle to help her climb out, but she appreciated it. It was such a kind and charming thing to do.

She followed him into the restaurant, looking around the lovely place with wide-eyes. When greeted by the hostess she went stiff, smiling awkwardly while slightly hiding behind Mike. She let him do all the talking, not trusting her voice to not give her away if she was in fact, passing. She looked around at the crowded restaurant as they walked. She silently pleaded that they wouldn't be seated in a crowded area. Her nerves would get the better of her for sure. She followed up to the loft, thankful that it was less occupied than the ground floor. Mike really had thought of everything. She was prepared to pull out her own seat when Mike was already on top of it. She blushed brightly, smiling to him. She offered a faint word of thanks to the hostess before picking up her menu.

She hummed gently to herself as she looked over the options, glancing over at Mike. She gave herself a moment to simply drink in his dressed up appearance. He was simply stunning. "This place is so lovely. I don't think I've ever been somewhere so pretty." She smiled softly to him. "This has already been so lovely. Thank you." She couldn't have ever imagined their first date would be so special. She looked back to the menu, biting her lip in hesitation. "Anything you recommend? It all looks so good."

"I'm so glad you like it" Mike nodded, delighted to see Sarah happy, even if both of them were nervous. Once they started to eat and were just alone things would be better, or so he hoped. It was also a bit weird, as they were together every day, so it wasn't like Mike could ask how Sarah's week had been. "From the menu I've heard wonderful things about the Steak Tartare and the Calamari to start" he started to share his advice, "so we could have both and share. From the main dishes, both the Wild Sockeye Salmon and the Pan Seared Scallops have good fame" he continued, taking a brief pause. "But I'm not as old fashioned as to ask for you" he shrugged, showing an easy smile over his face.

"If you prefer something like one of the salads and a pasta dish, they are also renowned for them, so you can't go wrong. Just feel comfortable with whatever you order" he said, reaching across the table for a hand holding moment. "Their tiramisu is also quite crazy for what I've heard, but we can pick up dessert later" Mike finished. Once they have decided and the food was ordered, there was a small bit of silence on the table that Mike promptly took advantage of.

"I'm so happy that we dared to do this" he said beaming, his eyes looking straight at Sarah. "You look wonderful, I'm so thankful of having you..." he said, just smitten with her.

Sarah took Mike's culinary opinion very seriously, given his skill set. Even if she knew he was far too humble to give himself credit, he was an exceptional cook. She nodded at his recommendation regarding appetizers. She positively lit up at the mention of calamari. "That sounds lovely." When their server came back to check on them, she happily, albeit shyly, ordered a salmon.

She sat with her hands in her lap, smiling softly. When Mike spoke, she blushed softly. "Th-thank you. I've never done so much make up before. My mom had to help Me get ready."

Despite how shy or nervous she was about being so done up out in public, Sarah was very happy. Truly elated to be out with Mike like this. They could forget about school, her now estranged father, and just focus on them. "I'll never be able to put into words how much your patience and understanding means to me. I'm so lucky to have you." She couldn't help the feelings of butterflies in her stomach. That faint blush still coloring her cheeks.

Ordering the Steak Tartare and the Calamari to start, Sarah went for the salmon while Mike opted for the Pan Seared Scallops in the end. Fidgeting a bit when he heard Sarah's words of thanks, he reached with his right hand over the table, palm up so she could easily touch and feel him. "I'm also lucky to have you, remember" he confessed. "Not only about making me aware of my love for cooking in a moment I felt so, so lost" he admitted, making the briefest of pauses. "But mostly about yourself being able to be yourself... with me. I mean, I'm a bit of a mess, so you have to deal with me as well" he said, without mentioning his confusing sexuality explicitly, but knowing what was he referring to. Mike was at the same time eager to be with Sarah in an intimate way, but at the same way he was scared of what his reactions, Sarah's reactions could be.

"Anyways" Mike shook his head briefly, free of ill thoughts. "Happy first date, I guess" he said with one of his warm smiles, bright and a bit playful. "Is it a bit weird after being so much with each other? I hope it feels natural, although I wanted it to be special..." he looked at the establishment. "But also somewhat familiar, comfortable at the same time" he shrugged. "I guess that it's fun to dress up once in a while, get all done and fancy" Mike commented. The starters arrived soon after that, pausing the conversation for a moment while the waitress was there, making Mike feel a bit awkward after she was gone. He always was more or less comfortable talking with Sarah, even when the topics were... difficult and intimate, but the setting of the date with her was something different, like he had to behave in a certain way and he felt a bit stuffy. Luckily, the food was magnificent, giving them a topic to talk about as soon as they tried it.

Sarah placed her smaller hand in his while he spoke. He didn't have to explicitly say it. She knew what he meant and was thankful that he worded it as he did. Even if she was constantly questioning her ability to pass in public, that Mike was conscious enough not to out her was very thoughtful. Her hand closed around his, her gaze falling to where they were joined. There was an unspoken desire for further intimacy between them. She could feel it. In the way the would hold each other, in the way they would kiss. Between her insecurity about her body and Mike's confusion regarding his own sexuality, neither seemed bold enough to make that leap.

She took back her hand, returning it to her lap, smiling as he returned to more positive subject matter. "This is lovely. I'm having a lot of fun. It's very special." She looked up at the server as he presented their appetizers, offering him a quiet thank you and leaving him with her request for salmon. She turned her attention back to the appetizers, smiling at the sight of calamari. Coming from a coastal town on the other side of the country, she loved seafood. Especially a well made squid dish. She eagerly tried the calamari, her eyes going wide for a moment before a smile teased her lips. "The food here is almost as good as your cooking." She joked with a small giggle.

Seeing Sarah enjoying herself, illuminated the room for Mike. How she smiled, how she even joked, the chime of her small giggle, he almost forgot that he had a dish of his own, tasting and enjoying the quality and delicacy of his steak tartar. "I still have to learn a lot to cook like this" Mike acknowledged with a smile, even if he was better at it than he would credit himself for. It was practical experience he lacked, not as much knowledge as he devoured everything cooking related he could get his paws into, after all there was only so much he could do at home cooking for friends and family. "But thank you" he nodded, accepting the compliment even if it was a bit far fetched.

"I see that I'll have to practice my squid dishes, you certainly love seafood" Mike nodded. They weren't that far from the coast, maybe one day they could go there, although it would have to wait until the next year, since they were in autumn and it wasn't precisely the best moment to enjoy the beach. Mike alternated his focus from Sarah to his dish and back, just enjoying the moment. They tended to spend as much time as they could together, so he was accustomed to relish those small moments of silence when no one felt the awkward need to fill in with small talk, at least not for a while.

Mike told Sarah that after dinner they could go to the movies if she wanted something entertaining or taking a walk along the park if she preferred something calm. Maybe it was the special occasion, perhaps how Sarah was dressed, but Mike knew he wanted more than that, not only for himself, but also for Sarah. He didn't know how, when and where to approach it. He didn't know how would it result. He was terribly scared at the chance of something going wrong. Looking at Sarah enjoy dinner, those thoughts were dispelled. No, there was nothing that could go wrong if they did things as they had been doing so far, with respect and understanding.

Sarah continued to enjoy the squid, occasionally sampling the steak tartar in front of Mike. "Comes with the territory. Growing up on the coast and all that. You learn to love seafood." She kept eating quietly for a few minutes, equally content to simply enjoy one another's presence for a while. As true as it was that they saw each other almost every day, it was often with Alex and Austin in tow. Or with one or the other's parent present when visiting. These quiet moments alone were truly special. She bit her lip nervously for a moment as she thought about what might come after dinner. True, Mike had offered up other activities afterwards. Walking in the park or seeing a movie. Both sounded pleasant. But was it possible Mike hoped for more? It could have been Sarah's own hopes toying with her. But she was also terrified. Not of how she would react physically. She had more than enough alone time thinking about Mike to know that physically wouldn't be an issue. But emotionally was another matter.

When the main dishes where brought she offered another quiet thank you to the server, before focusing on her salmon. She looked over at Mike after a moment, smiling faintly. She wasn't sure what to talk about, but she also knew it wasn't really necessary that she talk about anything. "Do you know what you might want to do after this? Either a movie or a walk sound lovely to me. But do you have a preference?"

Enjoying the dinner and the new dishes so far, Mike noticed that the scallops were done on point, not chewy nor mushy, and the flavor carried an amazing punch and yet it had nuance, subtleties. That was something he mostly lacked, more accustomed to make comfort food and seasonal stuff, Mike's style was more homely, catering to big flavors and rich dishes instead of a more sophisticated dish. "You must taste these" Mike pointed to his scallops, since Sarah loved seafood she had to try them. As the dinner progressed, Sarah's question caught him unaware. He had more or less arranged the night for them to have a lovely, traditional, old fashioned and safe first date. It was a bit of an odd thought, since they kind of began their relationship in a strange pace, kissing under the rain after a chase, but they both deserved that night of normalcy.

"A preference..." Mike mumbled, blushing a bit. Could he answer honestly to that question? Not just thinking about how Sarah would react, but also thinking if he had his own thoughts clear enough as to know what did he want. Feeling her eyes on him, Mike knew that he couldn't really lie to Sarah, even if he doubted he would be able to, he didn't want to. "Both plans are fine with me, specially when I planned them a few days ago..." he began, almost buying time for his brain to gain advantage over his mouth, arranging his ideas properly. "But seeing you so happy, with that smile... I would be lying if I said that I'd prefer any of those two" he admitted, managing to not look down and keep his eyes on her, as embarrassing as it was.

"I'm able to keep my promise though, I'll wait as long as you need" Mike promptly added, not wanting to pressure her. "But I can't be anything but honest, and if you ask me for my preference..." he took a sip of water, clearing his throat, buying yet more time. "I just want to be with you... to..." he sighed. "Explore? I know it's a weird choice of words but..." he was getting more and more blushed, but couldn't really stop talking. "Since we talked in the pool I couldn't help but wonder when we would be able to... feel each other, to venture even if it was a little bit into finding out what made each other... tick" Mike tried to explain, red as a tomato.

"Ahh..." he finished with a sigh. "You must think I'm a hornball now..." he mumbled. "I don't think I could focus on a movie, honestly" he tried to lighten the mood, joking with a nervous laugh.

Sarah thought often about that first day she met Mike. Daring to communicate with him in class. Touching his hand over dinner. Coming out and the chase that followed. She could still go back to that place emotionally. The fear and anticipation, almost enough to cause her to cry again. Then, of course, that penultimate moment. When she did what Mike wouldn't and dared to kiss him in the rain. Even now, she could barely believe it played out like that. That she had somehow managed to find the courage to do, not one, but both! Of course, then their was their discussion that night about Mike's doubts. Now here they were.

She stared at Mike through eyes wide as saucers. Was he really asking her to... She was bright red as he mentioned talking in the pool. Looking back at that night... The way he looked at her in her bikini. "N-no, I don't think that at all." She quickly corrected him when he finished. "I mean, we've been dating for a few weeks now, It's only natural to want to... Explore." Ahe deliberately chose his choice of word. Knowing discussing the act itself was awkward. It should be. Two young teens learning how to navigate romance. But it was even more so, given they weren't a traditional couple. "I mean, I kind of want to, as well." She was afraid. Not even convinced her gender dysphoria would give her the opportunity to enjoy herself with Mike. After all, she'd only just started hormones earlier that week.

A silent thank you gleamed in Mike's eyes as he nodded to Sarah's kinds words of acceptance, she really understood that he didn't mean to pressure her, just wanted to be honest with his feelings since she had asked his preference. Sarah even used his own words for it, a small gasp escaping his lips seeing how understanding she was. What left Mike with his mouth open wide was Sarah's confession about her own curiosity, her own desire for answers. "I didn't know you were... I mean, are you sure?" Mike asked, surprised. "You don't have to force yourself, you know that" he insisted, looking at Sarah in silence, trying to calm himself as the waitress came to ask about dessert.

"Oh, the Orange Blossom Panna Cotta sounds fantastic but what dessert doesn't" Mike joked a bit, feeling a bit relieved with the unplanned topic change. "But I'll have the Tiramisu, I just must" he said, awaiting for Sarah to order a sweet treat to end the dinner. Once the waitress was gone, Mike had no option but to return to the topic. "For me there are many things that make me wanting to get closer, first and foremost being that you drive me crazy" he joked, even if it was true that he was head over heels for her. "But I also want... like... answers?" he said, wincing. "Worded like that sounds horrible, sorry. The more time we spend together the less doubts I have about us, but one can't quite pick and choose what they like so..." he said, not wanting to delve in his well known doubts. "I also would love to see you, but if you aren't there yet... I wouldn't mind for you to..." Mike gulped. "To see me. All of me" he managed to finish, taking a long gulp of water.

"If we do take that step... where do we take it?" Mike commented, addressing the privacy issue. Their houses were occupied, and it would be difficult and embarrassing enough as to add the fear of getting caught on top of it.

Sarah's blush didn't fade even as he reassured her that she didn't have to push herself for his sake. She knew he was right, at least partially. Mike was a young man with needs. It wouldn't be fair to withhold herself from him forever. She was about to answer when the server returned. She ordered the creme brulee after Mike placed his.

"I guess I just worry about how I feel about myself, more than how you feel about me. I hate my body. Having to face my reflection every morning is painful. Seeing my face, my chest, my..." She paused there, not wanting to say it outright. "It's enough to make me cry." She sighed softly. A faint frown setting into her features. "I've been reading about it a lot. They call it dysphoria. I hate my body so much that the idea of sharing it with another..." She closed her eyes for a moment. "It's hard to explain." She looked up at him with a faint smile. "Even if you do like all of me, I can't. It's difficult to parse." She placed her hands in her lap. "But I know that it's hard not to think about all of you when I'm alone. I want to try, at least. Even if I'm not ready." She looked away for a moment. "You're too understanding. I Don't deserve your patience."

When he mentioned where they could go she realized a very real problem. Where could they go? No matter where they chose it would be a risk. "I don't know where we could go." She bit her lip nervously.

Back
Top Bottom