Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

An Unexpected Romance [Xanatos and Sigr]

Austin wanted to thank Mike as he hurried after Seth. It was the second time that morning that he had come to rely on Mike to keep Seth safe. Still, Austin was too awestruck to really say anything, instead, looking back to the sketchbook. He visibly flinched a bit when Alex came over to comfort him, feeling her arm around his shoulder. The flinch came entirely from surprise, as he was too focused to notice her approaching. He gave a sigh. "Yeah... But I should've seen it. I should've picked up on the clues. I'm his brother. It's my job." He rubbed his eyes as he thought, still irritated with himself. Being Seth's keeper was a big responsibility for someone as young as Austin, and he clearly took the role very seriously. "Maybe I pushed too hard. Maybe it was Mom and Dad. Maybe the therapists..." He glanced over at Alex, nodding softly. All I want is for Seth to be happy. If that means helping my brother become my sister then it's a done deal."

He thought more about the idea of them being twins playing a role and it helped things make a little more sense. "I think it must've been harder for Seth, honestly. We're twins, so obviously we look a lot alike. I can't imagine seeing myself as female and having that frustrating reminder that I'm not right next to me all the time." He leaned back in his seat, taking a deep breath. "Maybe that's why he felt like he couldn't say anything." His mind moved to life at home and a very real concern surfaced in his mind. "I don't know how Mom will react. Dad will be furious. He's already frustrated with Seth as it is." He smiled a little, giving her a small nod. "I appreciate both of you. Seth's going to need friends and I don't think he would have ever said anything if we hadn't met you two." His eyes settled on the most recent sketch his brother had finished. "I wonder what I can do to help show I mean it. Maybe use my allowance to take him... Her... Shopping?"

Seth had begun crying the second his feet had made it past the threshold. He simply couldn't bring himself to hear or see the reactions of the others. It was a step he was beginning to realize he wasn't really ready to take. Not that he imagined he could have ever been ready for it. He began walking briskly, slowly moving up to a run to get as much distance between himself and the scene in the kitchen as quickly as possible. As if he could simply outrun it and pretend he hadn't said anything. What must Austin have thought of him now? What about Alex? Mike? He recalled briefly seeing Mike's look of shock and the way he had glanced to where Seth had touched him.

Eventually, Seth looked up, realizing that he had no idea where he was. It was foolish to just run off into the city like that. He didn't know this place yet. He didn't know where home was or the school. He wasn't even sure he could retrace his steps back to Mike's house. He came to a stop, breathing heavily as he tried to control his sobbing. He let himself fall back into a bench, dropping his head into his hands. This had been a complete disaster. He could feel a few droplets landing on his arms, recognizing that it was going to start raining soon. Poetic, if nothing else. He closed his eyes as the droplets began to fall faster and more frequently. He could see her in his mind. She was so close to being real but just out of his reach.

She would never be the girl she knew herself to be...

"Maybe... maybe..." Alex shook her head, still holding Austin close. "It must be hard for Seth, as little as I know, it always is" she said. "It's from now on when the help is needed, when everyone in Seth's life has to be there" Alex counted herself and Mike in, even if she didn't voice it. They had just met that day, but there was something in those four people that stumbled together, and Alex wasn't one to bail at the first sign of trouble. She mostly left Austin talk, vent, serving him a glass of water in case he needed it, hearing him talk about their family, about how they were going to take in the news.

"Your father... furious? Really?" Alex asked, worried. The last thing any teen with trouble was a shouting contest with a parent. "He will understand if it serves for Seth to be better, right? I'm sure he wants his children to be happy..." she said, more hopeful than as a matter of fact, as little did she knew. "The drawings... I think Seth would have talked, sooner or later" Alex said. "But if we can help, we will. Being there and offering our support" she nodded. If she had a little bit of trouble in the past for being tomboyish and not fitting what it was expected of her, Alex couldn't even imagine how things were for Seth.

In the meantime Mike was running through the streets, looking around, asking any passerby he met about a boy with long red hair. Mike was fit, and he sure could catch Seth, but in the time he wasted sitting there shocked, he had no way of knowing where he could have gone. Why did he had to run? Why say that and flee? It wasn't as Mike didn't understand the temptation, and who knew how hard had it been to say it in the first place, but still... he was among friends, he didn't have to run away.

Mike stopped, looking again his hand, remembering Seth's touch. He had helped him with a way smaller issue, and now Mike couldn't return it, couldn't help him. If only he could reassure him, if only he could cause that small smile... Mike shook his head, continuing his search. The sky was starting to get darker and darker, and finally a hurrying kid on a bike pointed him in the direction where he had seen someone that matched the description. Mike bolted there, sprinting in hopes he could catch up with Seth before he moved again.

Soon, he saw it a few feet away on a bench, looking down and without noticing him. Rain had already started a few streets away, and now was threatening to pour on them, but Mike didn't care. Standing in front of Seth, both were starting to get drenched, looking a bit pitiful. "Finally found you" Mike said, as gently as possible, not wanting to startle Seth. "That was very brave, and to think I was the one boring you with my issues..." he said. "I'm here for you. We all are" added, sighing heavily. "It's a bother, but the rain feels cleansing, the summer is now in the past" he said, looking at the sky, letting the rain fall on his face.

"A pleasure to meet you, I'm Michael, but everyone calls me Mike" he said, his hair drenched, the glasses full of droplets and his clothes wet and stuck to his body. Despite his looks, he was smiling while he offered an open welcoming stance, for Seth to reach to him as pleased.

Austin had already decided for himself that he would act as a buffer between Seth and their parents. He owed Seth that much, especially feeling like he had failed him up to this point. "I'm going to talk to Mom and Dad for him. He won't stand up to Dad, but I can handle it." He looked to Alex again, nodding softly as he listened to her speak. She was right. He couldn't sit here and mope about it. He certainly couldn't sit here and berate himself for not doing a good enough job as Seth's brother. Seth needed help and support right now. Even more, now that he had come out to them. Life wasn't about to get easier for Seth. It was about to get harder. Still, with the right support network, surely Seth could be happier than he was. He had been looking for the chance to make Seth happy and this was it.

"You're right. This isn't about me, or even Mom and Dad. It's about Seth. I have to keep it that way." He closed the sketchbook, setting it down on the table. "I guess the ticket is to help make her a reality." For once he had a clear objective when it came to helping Seth. He knew why Seth had retreated from the world and now he could help reintroduce him... Her... To it. He didn't know where to start, but there was a specific end goal now. Not a blind objective like "Make Seth Happy Again". He glanced over towards the door, sighing quietly. "I'm glad Mike went instead. I think I needed time to process all this. I also can't help thinking that Mike helped him get to this point somehow." He nodded softly. "I think those two are good for one another."

Seth's crying slowed as she heard a familiar voice. Her eyes settled on him, listening to him speak. She drew in a deep breath, wiping the tears from her eyes even as more replaced them. Pushing some of the wet hair from her face she slowly stood as he finished. She stared at him in stunned silence, not believing that everyone had been so receptive. She knew that she owed everyone an apology for running. Especially Austin. The idea that she couldn't trust Austin with this information sooner made her feel terrible. Her face softened as he reintroduced himself, the welcoming smile that he wore was quite reassuring. Now having come out to Mike and the others, Seth made no effort to mask the femininity in how she carried herself.

Without thinking, Seth closed the distance between them quickly wrapping her arms around his waist tightly. Her eyes clenched shut as tears began to fall again, but ones of relief and overwhelming emotion. "S-Sarah..." She mumbled quietly, her voice notably softer. "M-my name. It's Sarah Mayes." She smiled through her tears, letting herself pull away from him slowly. She wiped at her eyes again, offering the same soft smile she had showed him before. "I... I'm sorry... I shouldn't have run away like that... Now you're all wet and... And it's my fault..." She lowered her gaze to the ground, sniffling softly.

"Seth is not going to face this alone, but you can't be the shield for everything, you can't stop all the problems that may happen" Alex said, sounding serious, somewhat odd for Austin since he only had know her cheery self that day. "I don't know how he is, or what reaction will he have, but your father probably needs to hear this from Seth, not you" she added. Alex fell silent when Austin talked about Mike, how he went after Seth, how Austin thought that they were good for each other. Not that she didn't think the same, but even if they could support each other, Mike didn't seem to be at his best moment and he would probably need help of his own. Help he would neglect getting, as his troubles couldn't be as important as anyone else's, Alex knew well how he downplayed his own issues.

"Oh hell, certain things are going to be a pain" Alex realized with a sigh. "The school and all that... Oh hell" she repeated, groaning again. "And we have PE tomorrow..." she voiced. She took the glass of water she had poured for Austin and gulped it. "One step at a time, I guess" she was looking down. "I'm accustomed to rush through everything..." her arm abandoned Austin's back, as she hold her head with the elbows on the table, ruffling her spiky hair. "I'm starting to get you I think, that feeling of wanting to do more and not knowing what to do. It's maddening" Alex admitted.

Mike looked down to Seth, as he marveled at how different his eyes looked at the redhead. Had Seth's demeanor really changed? Was it some subtle shift of behavior? Or was just that now Mike knew the truth and were his eyes the ones noticing the difference? Seth looked so fragile in that bench, and yet so determined. Mike froze for a split second when Seth hugged him, the smaller and thinner wet body pressed against his, the grip on his waist was strong, determined to not let go. This time Mike didn't hesitate like in the kitchen table, and returned the embrace at the moment, holding Seth tight, a wordless plea of being by his side.

Her name echoed in Mike's mind, as it was some kind of magic word that reshaped his reality. The mere act of acknowledging it, of stopping to pretend that she was someone she wasn't felt powerful for him, inspirational despite how Sarah fidgeted and cleaned her tears. Mike almost resented having to let her go, but at least he could see her again, or maybe for the first time. "Sarah" he whispered, saying her name for the first time, looking at that soft smile once more, being assaulted once again by the same thought he had about Seth a couple times. His heart was beating faster than during the run to search for her, and yet it was something difficult to parse, an experience never known before.

"Don't..." Mike just voiced against Sarah's apologies, his right hand reaching for her face, gently rising it to face him. He shouldn't, he knew that it was inappropriate, that he couldn't add his troubled feelings to hers, all logic said that he had to back off, and yet Mike couldn't. "Sarah..." he whispered once more, his hand still on her face, leaning forward slowly, conflicted. Mike's lips slightly parted, but he didn't say anything else, just getting closer and closer. He shouldn't. Not now. Not so soon. Not there. And yet he couldn't really stop himself, lost in Sarah's wet eyes.

A car sped by, adding a big splash of water to the already drenched Mike, snapping him from his trance and disrupting the moment. He was so close to her, so close and yet... he had to think what was best for Sarah, even if he didn't know what it was. "Should we go back?" he muttered, still not moving, gasping close to her face, his heart still beating fast. Mike was now trapped between selfishly kissing her and being more responsible and heading back, but he couldn't move one way or the other.

Once again, Alex was right. At much as it pained Austin to admit it. There was no way he could protect Seth from every eventuality. Taking that next step and talking to their parents had to be Seth's step to take. Austin could be there, to back him up and support him. But the Seth would have to be the one to actually brave that conversation. For once, Austin was ahead of Alex, having already started thinking about how to handle school. Especially PE. Seth already presented himself as a magnet for bullies. It would certainly only get worse. As she pulled away describing exactly what the last couple years had been like he gave a small chuckle and nodded his head. "Maddening is a good word for it, I think. The powerlessness is definitely frustrating."

He leaned back in his seat again, exhaling heavily. "I think we'll just have to tackle each problem as it presents itself. We'll just have to let Seth set the pace and help him where and when we can. Since we know now, I think he'll be more willing to let us help." Hearing the storm begin to come in he felt his nervousness return. Seth and Mike hadn't returned yet and it was turning into a proper mess out there. He worriedly glanced towards the door that Mike had used. "They've sure been gone a while, huh?" He asked nervously. It was unbelievable that it was still so early in the day with how dark the sky had become. He had every confidence in Mike but he certainly hoped to two would come back soon.

Sarah felt her heart flutter when someone else used the name she chose for the first time. It offered legitimacy to her feelings and gave her a little more confidence. Feeling Austin's hand against her cheek made her freeze up. Her eyes widened as her face was raised to look at him. The hand not moving as he began to draw closer to her. Her face grew bright red as she waited breathlessly for what seemed to be happening. It was a fairy tale scenario for her. Not only had she come out successfully, but the boy who had inadvertently given her the confidence to do so was preparing to kiss her. Overwhelmed and vulnerable, she was completely at his mercy as he halted only a thin breath away from her.

The sudden splash of water caught her completely off guard. She nearly jumped out of her skin, even as most of it hit Mike instead of her. Despite having been showered in cold water from the puddle, Mike hadn't seemed to move. he was still standing so close to her. As he spoke, her gaze fell. Her smile fell away as disappointment washed over her in the moments that he hesitated. She finally let out the breath she had been holding. Was it possible that her situation was just too weird for Mike to go through with it? Maybe he didn't want the baggage that she would bring with her... "W-wait..." She steeled what little resolve she had. She had already taken one plunge that night. What was one more? She could take a chance, right? Her gaze returned to Mike, her blush deepening as she leaned forward without a word. Her eyes closed tightly as she pressed her lips against his. Her hands came to rest on his shoulders as a couple stray tears slipped from the corners of her eyes. In that moment, she gave away her first kiss. Thankful that it was to someone that was supportive and aware of her situation.

"Well, whatever it happens... here" Alex grabbed her phone, allowing Austin to take note of her number and Mike's. "You and Seth can reach us whenever. Mike has his father that is a bit... no nonsense allowed, but my parents are pretty chill, so call in case of need, no problem" she nodded. "I think that's the welcoming way of the place, it rains quite often around here" Alex said, even if she knew that Austin wasn't worried about the weather. "Mike will call soon or just be about to come back" she nodded, getting down the chair, starting to pace around. Her words may be ones of calm, of patience, but the active girl couldn't quite hide how eager she was to see them return. "I have to do something" she blurted out of nowhere, cleaning up the table. "I can wash the dishes at least" explained, going to the sink and starting with it, water running though her hands, echoing the pouring rain outside.

Mike was trapped in the moment, unable to go forward or back, wanting to kiss Sarah and yet having to take her home. He wanted her to feel right, to feel that she had made the right choice by telling them, but if he kissed her... would that make things easier or harder? Mike had the feeling that it would complicate things, but even then he had trouble backing off completely. And what did all that mean for him? At the moment he could just think of how cute and brave Sarah was, but... did that mean he was... after all her body... Mike didn't know, and then and there he didn't care. In his turmoil about his life, his calling, the relationship with his father... now was this, another layer of complications. But one thing he had clear, even if he didn't know what it meant, if anything: He liked Sarah.

Hearing her talk, Mike stopped daydreaming, only to end in what looked another dream of its own. Sarah had closed the distance, coming closer once more, but what Mike thought it was going to be another hug, it turned out to be a surprising kiss. With his head somewhat tilted, and his glasses slightly disheveled, Mike put his hands in Sarah's back. It took a moment for him to recover from the surprise, but he soon returned the kiss. They both were cold and drenched, but found warmth on each other, growing closer and closer with the kiss. Mike was no expert, but he tried to help with what little practice he had, his lips soft and welcoming against Sarah's.

He could be like that forever, no matter the rain or anything else, but the kiss had to end sometime. "Sarah" he gasped, once their lips were free again, his hands still on her back and nape. "It was fantastic... I wanted it... but I didn't know if..." Mike mumbled. "Just didn't want to add more complications to it, but I'm glad you moved on me" he was lost on her eyes, tears washed up by the rain. "We are going to catch a cold, come on, they'll be waiting to meet you" Mike said, showing a smile, holding Sarah by one of her hands, guiding them both through curtains of rain. After all, they weren't that far and they soon would be there.

Austin was extremely thankful to Alex for offering her and Mike's number to the twins. He entered both numbers into his phone, setting his phone beside the sketchbook. He watched as Alex stood up and began to pace around. He understood that energetic young woman had a hard time sitting still, but it did little to ease his own anxiety. He was about to offer to help her with the dishes when he recalled it was more about staying busy. He closed his own eyes as a deep sigh escaped. He still hadn't worked out what he was going to say to his brother. What could he say? How could he prepare him for facing their parents? Or for the next day at school? He rubbed his brow as he tried to make sense of everything. He tapped his fingers on the table top as he waited, not sure what he could say or do to pass the time.

Sarah's heart pounded wildly when she felt Mike return the kiss. She pressed against him gently, enjoying his warmth against her as they kissed. When the contact was broken, she panted heavily, desperate to refill her lungs with air. Still, her eyes lingered on his, her cheeks bright red. She was still in his arms as he spoke which was a good sign. Her lips spread in a smile as he spoke of enjoying the kiss and having wanted it. She was so glad that she took a chance on Mike. As he pulled away, his hand taking hers, she looked down at the point of contact. She nodded softly as he spoke. "You're right." She'd never kissed anyone before, nor had she held hands with anyone. What did any of this mean? Were they dating now? Did Mike even want that? Would her being trans embarrass Mike? Her mind was awash with all manner of confusing thoughts. One thing was certain, though. She really liked Mike a lot.

Sarah remained quiet as they walked back. Was she really ready to face everyone? moreover, what would either of them think of her and Mike? When Mike's house came back into view her hand tightened around his slightly. She approached the door, taking in a deep breath. She looked to Mike one more time, looking for reassurance before she closed her eyes reaching for the door knob. She pushed the door open stepping inside, opening her eyes as she entered. Her hand still clung tightly to Mike's. Her heart beating wildly in her chest.

"Seth!" Austin exclaimed quickly as he stood up hurrying over to the door. He couldn't have been more relieved to see Seth and Mike return. "God, I'm so glad you're alright." He pulled Seth into a tight hug. As he pulled away he looked over to Mike. "Thanks, man! I'm so glad you found him."

Sarah was a little surprised by her brother's hug, even if she shouldn't have been. Her hand still clung to Mike's even as her brother hugged her. As they separated her gaze fell. "I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have run away like that." She shifted uncomfortably as she stood there unable to look up at either Alex or Austin.

Mike took Sarah home, almost tempted to take a detour, making the moment last longer even with the rain darting on them. He knew he had to be cold, but all he could feel was Sarah's hand and the heat on his chest and face. He knew that how she looked mattered, he knew that he had to be at least confused to some degree, as he wasn't supposed to look at a boy's body that way. And yet, something in his mind was saying that Sarah's body, no matter how it looked, didn't belong to a boy, but to the girl he liked. Mike shook his head free of conflicting thoughts, there would be time later to mull things over, now they had to get home.

Alex was washing the dishes as a curtain of rain blurred the streets outside the window, Austin shuffling behind her on the table, his fingers drumming restlessly. Even if she understood that he wasn't aware, he was driving her mad with that sound. "Come here, help me drying the dishes, distract yourself a bit" Alex asked for help, maybe that way Austin would slow down a little bit. They didn't use many dishes, but cleaning the tray where Mike had done the pork was going to be a little bit trickier, as the wine sauce was quite sticky. He had done well, and each month he cooked better and better, maybe he-

Before Austin could help her or she could keep thinking about it, the door opened, prompting her to turn and Austin to bolt to his brother, as Alex quickly dried her hands and followed him. While Austin was thankful and relieved, so glad that Seth was back, all Alex could look at was how Mike was holding Seth's hand, how he fidgeted on the spot. What the hell was going on there?

Mike had felt Sarah's grip tighten as they approached the house, and he had gently returned his support, looking back and nodding at her before entering. Now that they were inside, Mike felt the pressure, he could see Alex looking puzzled at her, while he avoided looking at Austin. With such a protective brother... Austin had trusted him to look after Sarah, and Mike couldn't help but as he had betrayed Austin's trust by indulging himself into Sarah's affection. Even then, he didn't let her hand go, he couldn't. Just nodding to Austin's thanks, Mike let Sarah talk, standing by her side. He was going to notice, sooner or later. Was it better if Mike said it? Or maybe Sarah should? Ah, what to do...

"Go get rid of those drenched clothes, maybe get a warm shower too" Alex said, monotone. "You are going to catch a cold like that" she added, sizing them up. There was something else there, something she suspected but her mind refused to acknowledge yet.

Sarah remained silent as Alex approached, hearing her words made her look up at the other two for the first time since they'd arrived. She wanted them to get undressed? Of course, she did. They'd get sick if they stayed in their wet clothes and didn't warm up, but still... "But, I didn't bring a change of clothes..." She said softly, glancing briefly to Mike before a blush surfaced on her cheeks again. She looked away quickly biting her lip. Mike thought of her as a female and had kissed her as a female. She was worried that if she was forced to expose herself to him, that the fact that she was physically male would resurface and ruin everything. The line of thought also forced something else to surface. Alex and Austin didn't know. She owed it to Austin to tell him and she was sure that Mike felt the same way about Alex. Before she could work up the courage to speak, Austin did.

He had taken a step back and was observing the two for a second. "Seth, you don't have anything Mike or I haven't seen before. Better to embarrass yourself than get sick." The reasoning of his brother's hesitation having flown completely over his head. At least until he looked down. Seeing that the two were holding hands he looked back up at Seth briefly, before turning his attention to Mike. He shifted his weight slightly, crossing his arms before pointing at the two with a crooked eyebrow. "So, uh... What's going on here?" He asked seriously. He glanced briefly towards Alex before settling his gaze on Seth and Mike again.

If it were at all possible, Sarah grew even redder as her brother spoke. She could tell that Austin was looking to Mike like he was expecting Mike to take responsibility for this. "My name isn't Seth..." She shook her head quickly as she took a step forward. "It's... It's Sarah. My name is Sarah." She corrected. "I'm a girl. I'm not your brother. I'm your sister." She insisted. She looked from Austin to Alex briefly before her eyes looked to the floor. "And I'm Mike's... Um..." She glanced back in his direction, hoping for clarity. "What are we doing?" She didn't want to impose the idea that they were dating if Mike wasn't sure.

Austin stood dumbfounded as Seth... No, Sarah. ...Told them off, albeit gently. It took hearing her insisted that she was female and that her name was a feminine one for reality to really sink in for Austin. Austin's stance softened in those moments as his gaze fell thoughtfully. "So, Mike went to find you and then you... I see..." He looked up again, smiling softly to his sister. "Well, Sarah. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." His smile spread a little further.

Sarah's face was one of relief as Austin relaxed. As he spoke to her, finally calling her Sarah, she nearly began to cry again. The day had simply been too emotionally overwhelming. Still, she tried to suppress it. "W-we should probably get out of this stuff before we get sick." She finally conceded, as little as she wanted to do it. She was almost more worried about making Alex upset than she was about getting undressed.

"I'm sure Mike doesn't mind lending you something" Alex answered just being practical when Seth said that he didn't have spare clothes. Not knowing everything that was going on with Mike irked her during the whole day, and was peaking then and there, but there was no ill will on her words. Was there any problem with them? At that pace they were going to end up cold and missing school.

Austin talked before anyone else, talking about a possible embarrassment. Oh, so that was it, of course. Alex had been with Mike their whole life, and they had seen each other naked on occasion, giving it little importance. For a shy person it could be trouble, for one that saw themselves as a girl more so. Austin then noticed and mentioned the hand holding, then Alex tied the pieces together, looking baffled.

"Ah-" Mike mumbled, not knowing how to face Austin. Not only he had no experience whatsoever talking with the family of a girl he liked, but also the circumstances were anything but usual. Mike was sure that now Austin would see him with other eyes, suspecting his motives the whole day, his reasons to be kind, when there was nothing of that. Sarah once more showed how strong she could be, and stepped in between Mike and Austin, introducing herself. Oh boy, Austin was going to end punching him, Mike was sure. After a whole day caring about Sarah and trusting him, it had to look like Mike had made a fool of him, that he had taken advantage-

"I wish I knew. This is new for me" Mike answered honestly when Sarah looked at him. "But I like you and I want to be with you, so... boyfriend and girlfriend?" Mike dared, blushing. Now he had done it, Austin was going to clock him and he probably deserved it. To his surprise the protective brother was less ill minded than him, and found comfort on Sarah being happier, Mike looking with his eyes open wide as he smiled. He had worried for nothing, his relief echoing Sarah's.

"That was fast" Alex said, recovering from the surprise. She looked glad, seeing that Mike seemed happy, but she was still worried about in what fragile state both of them were, specially Sarah. There was little she could do but offer her support, as always, and hope for the best. "A pleasure, Sarah. I'm glad for the two of you, but unless you get in there and at least dry yourselves, I'm going to get angry" Alex added, being herself once more.

"You are right" Mike looked at Alex and nodded, grateful for her support. Still holding her hand, Mike guided Sarah to his room upstairs, strangely devoid of the swimming trophies that were all around the living room, finding several cookbooks in the nightstand bedside and near his computer on the desk. "Take a shower if you like, pick whatever..." Mike said, pointing at the bathroom and his wardrobe. "I... ah, can wait" he said, turning around, offering as much privacy as he could. Mike just stood there, shivering, cold water dripping on the floor.

The smile that came over Sarah's face when Mike expressed that they were dating was much broader and brighter than any she had shown previously, possibly even in the last couple years. More so when he said that they were boyfriend and girlfriend. At Austin's expression of support and his decision to address her by name, she could hardly contain her happiness. Doubly so when even Alex voiced her support for them. The situation was strange. There was no question there. She was physically male and would be for some time yet, but Mike had embraced her as female. Now, so had both Austin and Alex. She could only hope facing her parents would go as smoothly. "Thank you. Both of you." She said quietly, glancing from Alex to Austin. She followed after mike as she was led up to his bedroom.

Austin watched as his brother, no, his sister walked upstairs with her boyfriend. He was relieved to see both of them safe and sound. Even more so to see both of them happy, but a lingering concern built in the back of his mind. He turned to face Alex, pocketing his hands. "Well, that complicates things a bit." He said quietly. It was going to be hard for Sarah to explain she was transgender to their parents already. Now to also have to explain she was dating someone, and that someone was male would make it even harder. He could already think of some choice words their father would have on the subject. Hopefully just seeing she had opened up and was happier would overwhelm the negativity. "So, Mike and Sarah. I guess they were a better fit for one another than I thought. What do you make of it?" He asked, trying to quash his more negative imaginings. He was glad Sarah would have someone in that respect as she took the first steps of her transition, but it was still a complex situation. Obviously, Mike's father was a point of concern as well. How receptive and supportive would he be of the couple?

In the bedroom, Sarah took note of the change in decor. The cookbooks certainly implied that her boyfriend had a greater passion for cooking than for swimming. When Mike spoke, pointing out the clothing and the bathroom in turn before turning away. She sighed softly. She was thankful, obviously, for his respect. Giving her as much privacy as he could, but still. She watched him stand there, shivering like that and felt her heart sink. She walked up from behind, wrapping her arms around his waist as she rested her head on the middle of his back. "Thank you. For everything." She whispered softly. Her eyes opened slowly as she thought for a few moments about everything that had happened that day. She had only met Mike a few hours ago and they were already dating. Having shared something so intimate as coming out with him, she already felt an incredible attachment to him.

She pulled away slowly, brushing some of her wet hair from her face. "Alright... I'm going to go shower, but I want you to at least get out of those clothes, okay? Even if you wrap up in a towel or blanket or something. Just... Try to warm up." She turned away, glancing back at him before stripping free of her wet clothing. She left it in a pile near the door, collecting a pair of pants and tee-shirt from Mike's wardrobe before disappearing into the bathroom.

She paused for a moment, looking at her reflection. Frustration hit her hard and fast. There Seth was, staring back at her. How long would it be before she would finally see Sarah in the mirror? Her hands balled into loose fists as she turned away from her reflection, made bitter by the image. She climbed into the shower, allowing herself to enjoy the hot water for a short while before quickly washing up. She didn't want to use up all the hot water and leave Mike with nothing, after all. She dressed in the pants and tee-shirt she had borrowed, both drowning her pretty badly, given the difference in their body types. She gave her reflection one final embittered glance before exiting the bathroom. She smiled softly towards Mike. "The water's still hot." She said quietly. One hand held the pants up that would not remain around her waist on their own, the other hanging idly by her side.

Alex sighed, leaving the dishes be and letting herself sink in the couch. She was happy, or at least she should be, but everything was so rushed, so confusing for her. Of course, she knew that Seth- no, Sarah had to be mulling this for a long time, and it just happened to burst out that day. No, it didn't 'just happened', Mike had a role in it, of that she was sure. "Yeah, just a bit" Alex echoed Austin's voice, sounding tired. "I don't know. Mike never... I mean, not never never, but nothing that lasted" Alex had been present on his love stories. There were mostly girls that liked him being gentle and fit, but had no much interest on knowing him. Mike of course, was too soft hearted to say no, and then he ended up moping for a week when it was over. This wasn't it, for once Mike seemed that had an active part on what happened, but that didn't make it any easier. Alex wondered if he was fine with... I mean, even if they acknowledged Sarah as who she was, her body still... Alex shook her head. "He's probably as confused as we are, if not more. His intentions are good and he's honest, that much I can tell you" Alex confirmed to Austin.

Mike smiled, feeling Sarah hug him from his back, sharing what little body heat they had to spare. "I just..." he didn't exactly feel like he had to be thanked, he was just as honest as he could, given the turmoil inside his mind. Sarah had helped him as well, but that would make it sound odd, so he just enjoyed the gesture of affection. Even Sarah had less trouble reaching for him, showing her feelings than him, making Mike feel a bit silly. He had to be braver, to speak his mind, but didn't want to be a bother.

"I'll do" he promised to obey, turning around when he heard the bathroom door close, feeling safe. The bathroom of his father's room was in the midst of one of his reforms to fix everything as new, so he didn't have an alternative. He got naked himself, adding his own clothes to the pile and vigorously drying himself with a towel grabbed from the wardrobe, trying to warm himself as much as dry his body. Mike stopped for a moment, staring at the bathroom door and the sound of water. For a moment it felt surreal, as he knew that Sarah was there, in his shower and... Mike struck his forehead with the palm of his hand twice, forcing himself to lead his thoughts somewhere else.

Mike grabbed some clothes of his own to wear after the shower, and covered his lower half with the towel he had been drying with in the meantime. Soon enough Sarah left the bathroom, clad in his way too big clothes for her. The combination of the oversized clothing, the warmth of the shower bringing the color back to her face and the small smile that disarmed him made Mike stare for a moment. Mike now felt awkward in his own room, with Sarah in front of him and only a towel covering him. "Yeah... thank you..." was all he could mumble to the warm water comment, heading to the bathroom, returning back when he noticed that he had forgotten his clothes, then back to the bathroom again.

Wanting to clean himself of odd thoughts and the cold in his bones, Mike just got himself below the warm water, thanking it immensely. With the noise he didn't know if Sarah was still outside in his room or walked downstairs with the rest, so Mike just hurried up, dried himself again and got quickly dressed. He had to get their clothes into the drier, as he had seen that his clothes wouldn't suit Sarah to get back home.

Austin moved to join Alex on the couch, sitting beside her. "I think it's going to be a learning process for both of them. Us included, I would suppose. Seth..." He paused, wincing. He chided himself as he slipped up again. "Sarah hasn't dated anyone before. Not even expressed interest in someone. I imagine that dealing with this on her own was why. I'm sure she's a little confused as well. I can't even imagine how emotional today has been for her." He leaned back into the couch, exhaling heavily. "I'm not worried about Mike's intentions. He's a good guy, I can tell. I think as long as they can be patient and learn from one another, they'll be good for each other." The idea that they started dating the same day they met certainly seemed fast to Austin. At the same time, if Sarah had never even thought about someone else in that respect before, she had to be sure Mike was the kind of person she wanted. He obviously drew her out enough to come out, perhaps that went for romance as well.

Sarah watched Mike as he went into the bathroom. She drew in a deep breath before moving to sit on the edge of his bed. She could tell that something was still bothering Mike. Was it her body? Did she push this too soon? She supposed it could be just him being worried about leaving the swim team and talking to his father. Suddenly another concern came up in her mind. What would his father think of her? Or of them dating? There wasn't going to be any avoiding that encounter. More to the point, was Mike comfortable with their relationship being a public one? It was all so much to process, enough to overwhelm her fear of facing her parents.

She waited patiently for Mike to come out from the bathroom, standing slowly when she saw him. Her hand still held the pants in place as she smiled at him softly. "Hey, um... I think we should probably talk about everything." She said softly. She bit her lip nervously before approaching him. She stood a foot or so away, shuffling nervously. "I know that you like me and that you want to be with me... But obviously..." She looked down at her body, sighing sadly. "Are you comfortable with me? Are you comfortable with people seeing us?" She wanted to know honestly where he stood. She needed to understand the boundaries. They were hardly a traditional couple. Not that she had any experience to call on in the first place.

"I like you too... Obviously... And I'm comfortable with you. If it hadn't been for you I don't know if I would have..." She closed her eyes shaking her head softly. "But I want to know that you're happy and comfortable too." She shuffled again, looking up at him. "I know that something's bothering you. I can see it. If we're going to make this work, you need to trust me."

"I certainly didn't expect this once the summer was over, coming back to school" Alex admitted, mulling over it, rocking back and forth sitting on the couch. "You are taking all this better than expected, being so protective I'd have expected otherwise" Alex grabbed a cushion nearby and hugged it against her. "Mike probably did too" she added, smiling about the idea. Knowing Mike, he could even be ready to take a punch, but that wasn't going to make him change his mind. "I'm a little bit overwhelmed if I'm honest" Alex hugged the cushion tighter, looking in the distance, seeming weak, unsure, for the first time since they met. "It's not that I mind it, and deep down I'm aware it's not true, but I feel like I didn't knew Mike anymore" she shook her head. "Knowing it's not true doesn't make it stop, and it all will be better tomorrow with as much sleep as we can get, but now the idea is eating at me" Alex confessed, still rocking back and forth, restless.

Mike sighed, seeing Sarah size him up, once more revealing her insight on what was going on in his mind. "I..." he tried to answer, but in his hesitation Sarah continued to talk. It was a bit of a wonder seeing her talk so much, be so forward and decisive, wanting to talk the things that same day. The soft spoken boy felt grateful since he could lean on that strong side of her, but also somewhat bad, since it was supposed to be the other way around. Not that he wanted Sarah to depend on him, he wasn't that old fashioned, but it felt a bit like a failure when she was the one worrying about him that much. Well, she had made the big step already, now she would have to keep the ball rolling, talking to her parents and all that jazz, but Mike still haven't done... Even with the kiss it was Sarah the one taking the plunge, even if it was Mike the one starting it.

Mike closed the gap between them, and sat in the edge of the bed, waiting for Sarah to do the same next to him if she wanted to. "Leaving the things about the changes, the swimming, my father and all that to a side" Mike started to talk, "there is something else" he admitted, looking down. He didn't put his glasses back in after the shower, he didn't need them to see up close. "It's not that those things don't matter, but that didn't change since you took the step, so that you already know" he clarified. Mike didn't want Sarah to feel guilty for him displacing his troubles, it was just that she already knew about them. He took a pause, longer than expected, an odd silence filling the room.

"I barely dated any girls, just a few short things that didn't go well" Mike explained. "And I never... I mean..." he blushed a bit. "Got that far with them" he said, as explicit as he could be without blushing even more. "I want to say that I don't care what others think, and it's still true, but I know that their prejudices can make us feel bad. Not that I'm going to change my mind even an inch, but I'm not as strong to say that it won't hurt, I won't lie about that" Mike explained. It was true, no matter what other people thought, even if it was the ones closer to him, would make him budge about their relationship. But that and feeling sad or angry about what they thought, what they said, were different things, specially if they were hurtful to Sarah.

"So that's not it, I'm comfortable with you, and I'll be able to handle the people, better or worse" Mike continued. "It's me... I'm... feeling a bit lost and I don't know exactly how to put it" he mentioned. "If I say something stupid or hurtful please warn me, but I want to speak as honestly as I can to see if together we can make sense of it" he didn't want to dump his problems on Sarah, making her feel inadequate, but silencing them or lying would be worse. "When you were into the shower I..." Mike hesitated, but there was no other way to put it. "For a moment, I thought of you..." he blushed, more than ever before. "I didn't mean to... I soon made myself think of something else, it was..." Mike stammered, seeing that he wasn't explaining properly he sighed, gathering the courage.

"Sorry but I thought of you naked" Mike said in a hurry, like he was tearing of a band-aid. He waited for a moment, expecting any kind of reaction before continuing. "And what worries me... what I guess you noticed were my doubts about..." he muttered. "About myself. I already thought you were cute this morning" another confession, Mike could feel his face burning. "I like you, and I want you to be who you want to be, and to get there with me by your side" he wanted to make that clear. "But I... even if I haven't thought of anyone else like that before..." Mike had trouble getting to the point.

"I guess that the only way to say it is that I'm confused about my sexual orientation. Even if I know that I like you, I'm having trouble identifying myself as heterosexual right now, something that it was a given before, something that I never given a second thought about it" Mike confessed, looking vulnerable, showcasing all his doubts. "Maybe it's just that I like all of you, or that I'm bisexual..." his eyes became watery, about to cry. "I don't want to hurt you, to make you feel inadequate, it's... I shouldn't have said anything. I like you, that's all that matters..." Mike felt his face grow wet, noticing that a couple tears had escaped and looked surprised about that. "But... what does it mean... what does it mean for us if I'm gay?" he looked at Sarah as if she could magically answer that, as if she could stop that pain, that fear Mike had that maybe he couldn't go that far with her.

Austin listened carefully as Alex spoke. He smiled nodding some. "Honestly, I'm a little overwhelmed too. Everyone's been trying so hard to reach Seth and pull him out. We've been desperate to find a way to make him happy again. I think that's what makes Mike's involvement in Sarah's life easy for me to accept. I got to see my sibling smile again. If Sarah's happy then I'm happy. Even if I'm a little jealous that Mike was the one to do that." He sighed softly, looking down at the floor. "I get what you mean. Feeling like you don't know Mike, I mean. It's a little hard for me to deal with the idea that the brother I've been with my entire life never really existed. Now that Seth is Sarah and my sister... It's complicated. I feel like I've lost someone in a sense. I'm going to mourn Seth, but I need to do that on my own and embrace Sarah and celebrate this step with her. It's important that we stay positive for her sake. I think the same applies for Mike. He's going to be confused. Who wouldn't be? But if we stay positive and supportive, I think they'll be okay."

Sarah watched as Mike walked past her. She watched him sitting on the edge of the bed, listening to him begin to speak. Her eyes widened as a blush came to her cheeks as he spoke about imagining her naked. She looked away for a moment, realizing what he was getting at. She walked over to the bed, sitting down beside him. She placed her hands in her lap as she listened, her eyes not budging from the floor as he spoke. When he finally got to his point, she felt an uneasy breath escape her lips. She knew it. It was hard to hear, but it was important that they acknowledge the possibility.

She looked up at him after a moment, seeing the tears that had begun forming. She was taken aback by the sight, her eyes widening as she looked at him. He was so confused and so lost. She reached over, gently placing her hands on either side of his face. Her thumbs brushed the tears away as she tried to smile reassuringly. "I don't know what I can say to help you right now, but I want to help." She pressed her lips against his forehead in a gentle kiss before pulling him into a gentle hug from the side. "I'm sorry. I should've waited til I was further along. It wasn't fair to put you in this situation." She smiled sadly, acknowledging how difficult this was going to be for both of them. "I guess at some point you'll have to figure out if you're attracted to Sarah or Seth." She said softly. She gently stroked his hair as she held him, drawing in a deep breath. Being nurturing came naturally to her. It was hard for her to open up to others, but not so hard for her to help others. "If it helps... You didn't try to touch me or kiss me until I was Sarah. Until I was a girl."

She pulled away slowly, looking down at her lap again. "Seth isn't coming back. I can't turn back on this." Her voice was soft but determined. "After talking to my parents, the next step will be hormones. As I progress, I'll become more feminine and more obviously female." She looked up at him again. "If as I progress you find that you're not attracted to me anymore then we can go back to being friends. I won't be offended. You can't choose who or what you're attracted to." It was hurtful to think that he might have only been attracted to her as a male, but there was still a chance that it wasn't the case. "We'll take things slow and figure this out together. It's confusing for me too. But I know that I like you a lot and that I want this to work."

Alex nodded to Austin's well meaning words, stopping her back and forth movement but still hugging the cushion. "I don't think like her change, her stepping forward to be a truer version of who she is, invalidates her previous life. Seth existed, but he wasn't complete, he wasn't the best he could be, that being Sarah" she said. "I guess that I have to accept that everyone changes, everyone tries to be their best, to be happy. I'm just feeling awkward because I already was" Alex opened her eyes, the cushion falling from her grasp. "Ah" she gasped. "Did I... Was I selfish? My happiness made me blind to what Mike was going through?" Alex looked defeated, her arms hanging at her sides, suddenly looking so small, as if the couch threatened to swallow her.

"Sarah..." Mike quietly sobbed as she reached for his face, holding it gently, drying his tears. He closed his eyes and sighed when she kissed his forehead, returning the hug she enveloped him with. "What? No... you don't have to be sorry... I..." he mumbled when Sarah apologized when she wasn't at fault. "I like you... and you are Sarah, but even if I like you maybe I can't..." Mike tried to make sense, having trouble to dare talking about sex, but even if he liked Sarah in whatever body she may have, he couldn't control what made him excited. Feeling her fingers on his hair was calming, he felt safe, capable to talk about anything.

As Sarah broke the embrace and talked about the steps to be taken, Mike nodded, knowing that Seth wasn't coming back. He didn't want that, he wanted Sarah to be happy, and for that she couldn't go back. "I like you a lot too, we'll make it work" of course he could take it slow, or so he thought. "It's so weird feeling comfortable with the idea of the transition, and at the same time being so scared of the chance of not feeling attracted to the female gender..." Mike lamented. "I mean when I..." he stopped, blushing deep red. "When I..." repeated. "What I mean is that I always have been excited by the act itself more than the participants..." he managed to say, avoiding barely to talk about his... well, preferences when touching himself.

"Thank you for asking, I needed to talk about that with someone but sex always is an embarrassing topic" Mike admitted. "I'll make an effort to be specially honest in that regard" he promised. "Now, so I can get a moment of respite, can we take our clothes to the drier?" Mike wanted a brief moment away from thinking. "Austin and Alex will be worried as well, the drier is just by the kitchen downstairs" he commented, grabbing the bunch that was both they clothes and nodded to head down.

Austin turned to face Alex when she paused, realizing that she may have inadvertently ignored Mike's suffering by accident. He sighed softly, nodding gently. He reached over, draping his arm around her in the same way she had done for him. It was both depressing and relieving that where both Austin and Alex felt they had failed, Mike and Sarah had found one another. "I don't think you were selfish. Maybe it's just struggles you have to live to understand. Ya know? Now that we're more in the know, we just have to work to be better friends and family to them." He stood up after a moment, clapping his hands together. "Between the emotions and the cold, I'm sure both of them could use something comforting." He smiled back at Alex, nodding towards the kitchen. "Think we can whip them up some hot cocoa maybe?"

Sarah blushed brightly when the topic returned to sex. "W-well... We're a way away from that being a bridge we have to cross, I think." When he stood up, moving over to where their clothing was piled she smiled faintly. "Don't worry. We'll figure it all out. With everything else in my life right now, this is the only thing I'm sure about." Her mind still hovered around the idea that the day may come when she didn't excite Mike. The very thought made her grow red again. She hadn't even thought about attraction in terms or arousal. It was flattering to think that he found her that attractive, but it was a little heart wrenching to think that the real her might not be able to do it for him anymore. She assumed they would have a better idea of where he stood once she started dressing more effeminately.

"Yeah, I think I could probably use something else to think about to..." She said softly. She stood up, once more holding her pants up as she moved to follow him. "I'm sure that they're as confused as we are." She leaned forward, placing a gentle kiss on his cheek. She was more than happy to lead the way back downstairs, opening the door for her and Mike and heading off to where the others were gathered. The shower had stopped running some time ago, and they had definitely spent a little while just talking things through. She could certainly see why Austin and Alex might be worried about them.

"I don't know, it's like I missed one month and suddenly everything is upside down" Alex groaned. "And if I feel like that, I don't even know where to begin with how they will be" she shrugged, punching a couple times the cushion she had been hugging, frustrated. "You are right, I'm already tired of this pity party" Alex set the cushion aside and got up from the couch. "We all need some sweet warm goodness, and that will keep as busy as well" she nodded, managing to draw a smile on her face, looking at Austin. She went back to the kitchen, her step slowly returning to have little of that spring, not the drag that took her to the couch. "Mike always keeps a pretty stocked pantry, I'm sure there has to be..." Alex mumbled, starting to open cupboards all around the place. "There it is" her eyes brightened at the sight of the package she was looking for, in the upper side of the cupboard, out of her reach. "Sometimes I think he purposefully leaves sweet things out of my reach, I swear" Alex faked a pout, as for all her athletic prowess she wasn't particularly tall, and only the tips of her fingers reached the sought after chocolate even when tip toeing.

Mike blushed deeper, seeing Sarah stammer was too cute. "Y-yeah, too soon, I didn't mean that..." he raised his hands palms out, abandoning the embarrassing topic before his head burst into flames, and just nodded when she talked about how sure she was about their relationship. He grabbed all their clumped and wet clothes, watching Sarah get up with those way too big clothes. He smiled, receiving her loving kiss of the cheek, a very welcome and tame enough of a show of affection that calmed his heart. Those small moments of calm in the middle of the storm made him feel sure that everything was going to be fine, but it would be a long road to walk.

Seeing Sarah grasping her pants on place and leading the way widened his smile. Maybe that was it, despite the difficulties, she was the strong one, she was the one opening new ground. He had just to be supportive, and be there for whatever she may need. Once they were started to head down, Mike sniffled something in the air. "Maybe they are worried or confused, but they aren't idle" he said, recognizing the smell. It seemed that despite his best efforts Alex had found the cupboard with the sweets. To be honest, it seemed like the kind of situation where the four of them needed some sugar in their lives.

Relieved to find that Alex was on board with his proposed plan, he followed her into the kitchen. Austin was more than happy to help Alex reach the chocolate. He stayed mostly out of her way while she prepared the hot cocoa, just fetching anything she might need. He emerged from the fridge with whipped cream and milk. "I don't suppose he has cinnamon around, does he? Sarah loves cinnamon in her cocoa." He settled in beside the counter waiting for the two to return. Setting out four mugs. Hearing the door open upstairs, he stood up again, waiting for them to get to the bottom of the steps.

Sarah took a deep breath, looking back at Mike for a moment before turning to enter the kitchen. She smiled faintly as she saw the other two. "Hey guys..." She said softly, coming into the kitchen more fully. Her hand still desperately clutched the pants, trying to hold them up. "Did you guys make cocoa?" She asked, smiling a little wider.

Austin approached Sarah, hugging her again gently. "Come get some." He stepped aside, escorting her to the counter. He turned to look at Mike. "The two of you look a little better after a shower, at least. Certainly warmer and dryer."

Sarah approached Alex after fixing her own mug, smiling softly despite feeling a little guilty about moving on Mike so fast without even thinking about her feelings. "Hey. I um... I'm sorry. I should have talked to you about liking Mike before any of this happened. It wasn't fair to exclude you from any of that." She sat back in a chair. Now that she didn't have to hold her pants up, she held the mug in two hands as she looked down at it. "It just all sort of... Happened."

"He probably has it hidden up there as well" Alex said, smiling about how Austin was thinking of every detail, every nuance to help a bit. She enjoyed being active, even if it was just making four cocoa mugs with Austin. Every moment she was thinking of the process of making them wasn't thinking of anything else. She looked at Sarah as they walked down, stifling a giggle as she had to deal with Mike's oversized clothing. Austin appreciated how better they two looked, but Alex could feel that something was wrong, as Mike seemed to avoid looking at her. Before she could move on inquiring further, Sarah approached her.

"What? Don't be sorry" Alex shook her head, surprised about how considerate she was. "It's been a pretty crazy day as to be mulling over every little detail" she said, noticing that Mike was looking at how she reacted, seeing then that his eyes were a bit red and swollen. She knew that face well enough, as she had been with him at every turn of his life. He had been crying, but what could have made him cry? Alex's feeling of disconnection with Mike deepened, so she clutched her mug to get a bit of warmth.

There it was, she has noticed it, Mike thought, returning from putting the clothes into the dryer. Seeing Alex's eyes nailed on his own. A slight shake of his head begged for her not to ask now, that answers would be coming in time. He had his doubts though, as it was something even he didn't see clearly, it was going to be trouble explaining it to Alex, but she may be of help. He was sure of one thing, he wasn't going to talk about his sexual orientation with Austin there, all merry around a warm cocoa mug. Silence crept in, as the teens there had been opening their hearts during the afternoon and now they craved the silence, they needed some respite.

The warm cocoa was more than welcome, a bit of sweet in that hectic afternoon, a pause between everything that had transpired and all the things to come. It wasn't specially late, but Mike didn't know where the twins lived. It would be a few minutes until the dryer was done, and sooner or later Sarah would have to head home, to face her family and Mike couldn't be there with her. His heavy sigh broke the silence, almost startling his friends. "Sorry..." he said with a smile, as he had interrupted the momentary peace.

Sarah was relieved to find that Alex wasn't bothered about what had happened. She brought the cocoa to her lips taking a brief sip. Tasting the cinnamon in the cocoa, she smiled a little wider, giving her brother a knowing look. She was more than content to sit in silence enjoying the cocoa. Even the typically energetic and talkative Austin had taken to enjoying the peace and quiet. It was a lot to process for four teens barely starting high school. Sarah looked up when she heard Mike's small apology, grateful to see him smile. She returned the small expression. Her gaze fell afterward, looking to her cocoa as her smile fell away. She still felt guilty. She shouldn't have kissed him. It was too soon. They were both vulnerable and emotional and she had acted without thinking. She shouldn't have put him in this position. It wasn't fair.

Her mind wandered to thoughts of what returning home would be like. Having to face her parents and explain herself. Without Mike there to give her the same confidence she had found in him before, it would be even harder. Still, there was no going back now. She couldn't. Her happiness, possibly her life depended on it. Fear of what life at school would be like from now on loomed over her as well. It was a lot to carry on her shoulders, but she felt bad about burdening someone else with those details. She looked up, feeling eyes on her to see that Austin was observing her. She closed her eyes for a moment before forcing a small smile for his sake, despite that, she could tell that Austin saw right through her.

Austin was the first to really speak, setting down his now empty mug. "We're probably going to have to get going after the clothes finish drying." He looked from Sarah to the other two. "Our folks will start to worry and it's going to be a long evening anyway." He looked down at the empty mug for a moment before glancing back to the others. "Do we all share gym tomorrow?" He asked, looking at the other two. He knew that gym would be the most dangerous environment for Sarah and that she would need as many people as possible.

Sarah went into her bag, producing a copy of her schedule to look at it. "I know me and Austin have Gym together, first thing in the morning." She grew nervous at the very idea. Obviously, if everything went well with her parents, she wanted to start presenting as female right away. But what would gym be like? Surely they wouldn't allow her to use the girls' locker room, and she was sure that the boys' locker room would be risky.

"Yeah, I wish I could be there..." Mike said, looking at Austin and Sarah, "but I'd probably just make things more difficult" he shook his head. "Not to mention that I have my own father to face" another heavy sigh. The broad shouldered Mike looked smaller and weaker then than ever. "I'm going to just tell him everything. It's no use pacing oneself with my father, dosing the information would only make him think that I had been hiding things" he admitted. Explaining both the status of his new friends and his refusal to keep swimming competitively was going to be hard.

"I can be here if you want" Alex offered, prompting a shake from Mike's head.

"Thank you Alex, but it would seem like I'm hiding. You know how he is" he shrugged. "If only I had an answer to give him. I know that he's going to ask me what I'm going to do instead of swimming, or if I have planned to be lazying around, and I don't know what to say" Mike looked down at his empty mug.

Alex wanted to tell him that things were going to be fine, but she really didn't know. He already knew that he had her support, so the only thing left was to know why had he been crying, something that they would have to talk about alone. "Dunno, Mike?" Alex welcomed the questions about the schedule, but her mind wasn't set on it. She knew they had PE tomorrow, as Mike said something about it, but didn't know exactly when.

"Yeah, first thing in the morning, the four of us" Mike nodded. "Maybe you can sit it out, say that you are sick" he said. "If not, Austin and I will be there, so don't worry" Mike reached for Sarah's hand, holding it reassuringly.

Sarah mirrored Mike's sentiment. She wanted so badly to be able to help him talk to his Dad, but it would be hard enough explaining Sarah to him without her being right there in the room. They would both be having a long hard night and they would have to face it mostly alone. Sarah closed her eyes as she listened to the other speak, tucking her schedule back into her bag. Feeling Mike's hand take her's, she opened her eyes again, settling her gaze on him. She offered him a small nervous smile. She was thankful for his support, for everyone's support for that matter, but it did little to alleviate her fears. "No, I'll be alright." Even if she pretended she was sick tomorrow, she couldn't do so for the entire year. It wasn't realistic. She had to face this problem sooner or later. She finished her cocoa, setting the empty mug down on the counter quietly.

For Austin, he was relieved to hear that they would all be together for gym. That was his biggest fear regarding Sarah's transition. Thankfully, both himself and Mike would be there to protect her if need be. Austin, remembering that he had both Alex and Mike's numbers now glanced over to the other two. "I suppose Sarah and I should get ready to go. We'll text you to let you know how it went."

Sarah looked up at Austin, notably saddened by the notion of leaving, but she knew it was necessary. "I um... I guess I'll get dressed then." She got up slowly, looking at Alex and Mike. She walked forward, hugging Alex first. She knew that Sarah's new relationship had established Mike's importance in her life, but she wanted Alex to know how much she valued her friendship and her support as well. She pulled away from her slowly, smiling faintly. "Thank you. Really." She looked back to Mike, walking over to him she wrapped her arms around his waist, holding him close. As she finally parted, she made her way back towards the dryer. There would be time enough for goodbyes after she changed.

"Please do" Mike looked at the siblings, wanting them to text him how things went, so they swapped phone numbers to make sure that everyone had a way to reach the others. "It's going to be a restless night on its own, so getting any information will help" he nodded, eager to hear from Sarah how things went as soon as possible.

"Ah" Alex was surprised when Sarah went for a hug, but returned it with her own. It was the first time she had any real physical contact with her, and it caught her unaware and not at all ready for the sudden show of affection. Luckily Alex didn't tear easily, or it would be weird, but then and there she felt that them four were something special, almost bound by destiny to be close, an odd thought on the normally down to earth girl. "It'll be fine, you are stronger than you look and you have us now" she whispered on her ear, the boys unable to hear more than a murmur.

Mike had trouble letting Sarah go once she hugged her, caressing her hair while she circled her chest with her lean arms. He wanted to prolong the moment, as if they could flee from the immediate future like that, but it wasn't just impossible. It would also be a waste. Sarah deserved to be who she wanted to be, and Mike himself had to find a place of his own, none of that could be a reality without stepping forward. Mike almost followed her out of instinct, even if she was going to change. It wasn't proper nor needed, so after half a step he stopped himself, the next day and its PE class unavoidably returning to his mind.

Out of habit Mike picked up the mugs and started to quickly clean them, making himself busy and keeping the place tidy. He could feel Alex's stare at his back, thinking that she probably noticed that something had happened upstairs and wanted to ask about it. He didn't want to talk about it, even less with Austin there, so she would have to wait. Maybe Alex could shed some light on his doubts about his orientation.

Sarah collected her things from the dryer, sighing softly now that she was on her own. She wanted to put on a brave face for the others, but internally she was terrified. All the different ways that things could go wrong continued to invade her mind, and she knew there were some that she simply couldn't think of yet. It was enough to almost make her cry again. Her stomach beginning to knot as she thought about having to face her parents. She carried her clothing back upstairs, slipping into Mike's room. She quickly changed out of his clothes, dawning her own once more. She took a moment to sit on the edge of his bed, taking a deep breath. She needed a moment to herself to process everything. Her life was about to get a whole lot more complicated.

Austin was more than happy to help bring mugs over to the sink for Mike while he was cleaning up. He knew something was bothering him. He even had a pretty good idea of what it was, but it wasn't his place to have that conversation with him. With Alex and his father certainly. But not Austin. He walked back over to where he had been sitting. "On a lighter note, text me in the morning so I don't forget your bike." He said to Alex with a soft smile. Even with everything else going on, a promise was a promise, and he had promised her a bicycle. "I should probably call our Mom for a ride." He said after another moment of thought, pulling out his cellphone.

Sarah reappeared at the top of the stairs after a few moments, her eyes were a little red. Not that she had been crying, but it wouldn't take much to make her do so right now. She came down to the kitchen taking in a deep breath. She saw Austin on the phone, presumably talking to their parents. She walked over to Mike, who was still bent over the sink. She placed a hand on the center of his back, rubbing it gently. "Hey, you okay?" She asked, looking over to him. "Everything's going to be okay. I'm sure your Dad will be understanding." She lowered her gaze after a moment. She wasn't even remotely confident in saying that. She knew exactly who upset her father would be about everything.

Austin pocketed his phone. "Aright, Mom's on her way." Austin said, looking over at Sarah. He smiled a little, watching the two together. Even with how scared Sarah was, and how emotional the day had been, she had opened up. They had found the cause of her struggles and were working to fix it. It was a positive thing, even if it wasn't easy to see it that way.

Back
Top Bottom