Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What is your favorite book from your early childhood?

Kosmik_Khaos

God is empty, just like me.
Supporter
I always loved anything Dr. Suess, and Goodnight Moon holds a special place in my heart, but my Favorite book from my early childhood is "The Giving Tree" written by Shel Silverstein.

In fact tomorrow when I make my trip to the library I'll probably be picking up a copy to read. :)

I read a lot of age-inappropriate books as a child, and such my favorite *childhood* book was The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. Technically an adult's book but my mom deemed me mature enough to read *~scary stories~*

I read a lot of age-inappropriate books myself. My favorite author in my childhood was Stephen King. I read IT when I was like 7.

Probably would be The Giving Tree.
It's sad but when I had it read to me in like grade school it was just something that stuck with me forever.

It is a sad book, but so lovely at the same time. I went to the library yesterday and picked up a copy of it for the feels.

Depends on what part of my childhood. XD

When I turned 9, my favorite was The Hobbit by Tolkien. That book forever changed my life. Prior to that, Michael Ende's The Neverending Story was in the top part of my list and I'll always have fond memories of when I first read the Alice books by Lewis Carroll. A kids' series I'd been into was The Babysitters Club by Ann M Martin and I also devoured anything by Edward Gorey. During middle school, I was really into the Shannara books by Terry Brooks as well as the Anne of Green Gables books by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

Where The Wild Things Are, has always had a special place in my heart. It's the first book I can ever recall reading -looking at the pictures? -, and I think that was before I could walk! My parents were big on reading, and always buying books for us kids.

I then graduated to the Mr Men series, loving all of those, and a little later, I distinctly remember enjoying Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator even more than Charlie and The Chocolate Factory,

However, my innocence was shattered when, at age eleven, immersed in a YA novel I was reading as part of a charity read-a-thon, my elder brother, who caught Dad's gambling bug early and used to drag me into the school library and bet his friends that I could read faster than they could, said "That's cheating, why don't you read a proper book?," and threw me The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie.

From that moment on, I devoured almost every one of my parent's novels, including the 'to be kept out of reach of impressionable young children' secret stash of erotic Sidney Sheldon's, a lot of crime fiction, and Roald Dahl's adult works.

Robinson Cursoe.

Read the abridged when I was a kid, the unabridged shortly thereafter. I always wanted to be alone on an island of my own making when young. Now...probably at least one companion.

The first book I really remember vividly reading repeatedly growing up was Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher. It was my introduction into fantasy, and I remember always wishing that I could find some egg belonging to a magical creature.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - who honestly didn't like seeing this little dude get fat as fuck while he 'ate' his way through the book, then turned into a butterfly.

Green Eggs and Ham - anything Dr Seuss really, but this one was my favorite.

The Magic Tree House books - sort of educational and very interesting.

The Harry Potter series - I started reading them when I was in 2nd grade, so I consider them my early childhood books.

Bridge to Terebithia - in my feels the whole way. It still makes me cry when I reread it.

When I was ten, I must have read The Hobbit a dozen times in a row over the course of a weekend. It undoubtedly inspired my enduring love of fantasy fiction. But don't get me started on those awful movies!

I was a huge fan of the Goosebump books, and eventually transitioned to R.L. Stein's Fear Street books. When i was in 4th or 5th grade I got into adult horror fiction, mainly Dean Koontz. A poor mans Stephen King, I know but I just can't with Kings style.

As a very young child Dr. Seuss books were among my favorites. I began reading between the ages of 3 and 4. I would read pretty much anything I was given, though, with very little preference.

Beyond that there was The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary and The Witches by Roald Dahl both stand out. I recall reading some babysitter club books before discovering the Fear Street series.

When I was 11 or 12 I read The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and it remains the only book I've read multiple times.

Depends on what age but I will just go with Bailey School Kids and Hardy boys. This mostly due to the fact I did not enjoy reading until I found the bailey school kids books when I was in in 2nd grade shortly after my Grandfather gave me The Hardy Boy books that had belonged to my dad had when he was growing up. Loved reading ever since.

Oh, God. Where to start?

The Cat in the Hat was a favorite, because it was the first book I read all by myself. After that, anything by Dr. Seuss, but especially I Had Trouble Getting to Solla Solou.

Isaac Asimov's "Lucky Star" serirs. Somewhat dated, but solid scuence fiction.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. I had a "Junior Ckassucs" edition, and read it tilk it came apart, then found an unedited version and keot going. Ditto for War if the Worlds.

The Insect Warriors, a book about miniaturized humans surviving by domesticating and hunting insects, in a world where their ancestors had been shrunk so long ago that they had no memories of anything else.

The Hobbit, and The Lord if the Rings.

The Witches of Karres.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Star Wars EU before there was such a thing!

Dune, when I was a young teen.

I could probably go forever, so I'll stop with one more. Cosmos. The Carl Sagan book. Blew my mind, back in the day, and it still does.

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman
The Abhorsen Trilogy -Garth Nix
The Emperor of All Maladies - Siddhartha Mukherjee
Battle Royale -Koushun Takami

I have so many favorites, tbh.

Back
Top Bottom