Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Asian is not a race, but in fact a religion! <33

Nyarly said:
Somehow I feel offended when I read the word "weeaboo".

I mean, it's not like there is any reason for that. I certainly don't think that the Japanese are a master race and I'm aware that, like every other nation, they have their share of problems (like their inability to come to terms with their past).
If the word doesn't apply to you, why are you offended? :]

Perhaps she meant to say "region." Asian does refer to the multiplicity of cultures and nationalities in the Pacific Rim region who just happen to share a number of facial and melanin features.

And "race" is a concept rather left over from European bigots of previous centuries. Technically, there are only humans, but different physical traits have been classified in popular parlance as "races" as if they're separate, when genetically (as in, able to interbreed) they are not. With all the attendant cultural classification and segregation attendant therewith.

In the modern age, we are still cursed with the concept of "races" and "multiracial," "biracial," "racial strife," etc. On another board I frequent, they were talking about how the Irish, in the early days of the United States, were subject to a lot of discrimination because the Irish "race" was considered undesirable (proof that "race" isn't limited to skin tone or facial features, depending on the bigot's point of view). The enlightened point of view moves away from classifying people on the basis of genetics, and more accurately evaluates based on cultural context. And even that only bows to unfortunate differences and prejudices associated with different cultures.

Gah. Are we going to have an argument where I come off as seeming like a racist?

What I'm talking about is a view of humanity. Our current cultural views of "race" are based on misnomers and essential discrimination. You want to talk genetic lines, you want to talk cultural backgrounds, you can do that without being discriminatory. By "enlightened," I'm talking about being able to view people without classifying them by an artificial pretext of what genetic lines they happen to come from. I consider moving past such distinctions into a more all-encompassing and non-judgmental view on humans as a whole to be equivalent to more commonly understood philosophical and intellectual "enlightenment."

I'm trying to discuss this while still acknowledging that there are differences in culture between people, which aren't necessarily greater or lesser, but are different, and while those cultures may be associated with genetic traits (indeed, speaking of the American experience, genetic traits might force people into certain cultures or subcultures), I am trying to take the view that, speaking globally, they don't have to be. Chinese-descended Scottish folks, for example.

I do have the view that evaluating people independent of their gene structure is something good, and it's something that we don't always do now, and it's something that should be done, and that learning to do that is growing and becoming more enlightened than before. Is my terminology more clear now?

I don't think so, because I'm going to argue for the side of races, so if anyone's going to look racist, it'll be me.

But then I could pull the mixed card, and that gets me out of ever argument smelling like roses, right? /sarcasm

I like those distinctions. I think they're useful, especially when we're talking medical treatment. Say I'm a doctor. If I don't know my patient's genome, then I can use their identified race as a rudimentary stand in for their genetic history. A man tells me he is Japanese, I might start him on a lower dosage of a certain medication than I would a man who says his family is from Hungary. Why? Because I've read studies where there's appears to be a statistically significant number of E. Asians who respond to this medication on lower dosages than self-identified White Americans. I don't want to damage my patient by over prescribing, so I'll start lower to be safe. He may or may not have the genetic information that causes this sensitivity, but I'm going to play it safe.

I dunno, I'm a big fan of viewing everyone as part of my in-group because they're people, but I'm also concerned about ignoring differences because I have some idea that to recognize differences is to condone hatred on them. I don't really mind "race". I don't know that I see it as inherently wrong.

lost_minority said:
November[S n o w] said:
                                        • That's some shit you should know in the eleventh grade, and should damn sure know if you're taking history.....so I've experienced dumbassness like this before...and highly doubt she meant meant anything other than Asian seriously being a religion and not a race.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

• Actually in my state they don't have a required history classes for you to take in the eleventh grade, as they find history is a useless subject to most.

• In your state...mind you. In my state, it's required to learn history whether it be US, or World. And since, they are required courses, she should have known such...[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Is it required to learn US history? Or just pass a class in it.

I thought you only had to know US History if you were applying for citizenship.

• No not just US, I had to edit that part...it used to be that way however. XD But it's very common to either learn US or World history...not so much as African American these days...it's more of an elective. I'm really just trying to say, you had to have a couple of years of history classes in...and US and World happened to be those two at the schools I've attended.[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

I do see your point, and yes, genetic or national origin is useful on occasion. A lot of that comes under cultural (i.e. people from Singapore tend to have X diet and live under X pollution conditions, so they're liable to respond in X manner), but for certain medical traits, genetic origin has great value (although some of those are culturally-based, too, I wouldn't be surprised).

That's specific cases, and such cases have hard scientific reasons for a given variation or expectation. I'm speaking toward a more general, unscientific POV about race meaning something as to the quality or potential of the individual, which so many seem to subscribe to. Not on this board, per se, but in the greater culture and world.

The original "Asian is a religion" (which I still wonder if it wasn't a misspelling/misstating of "region") makes distinctions in a non-medical, non-scientific manner, and is utterly dumb, as well. That's more the attitude I was addressing.

And I expected to look the racist because, hell, I have 11 ancestors who came over on the Mayflower. I'm so white, my ethnic bread is Wonder. I am used to being expected to be the bad guy in discussions such as this, nevermind that my attitude toward "race relations" attempts to be as welcoming as possible. (bow chicka wow wow)

Mr Master said:
And I expected to look the racist because, hell, I have 11 ancestors who came over on the Mayflower. I'm so white, my ethnic bread is Wonder. I am used to being expected to be the bad guy in discussions such as this, nevermind that my attitude toward "race relations" attempts to be as welcoming as possible. (bow chicka wow wow)
Stop.

Hrm. I see the idea of being "colour-blind" as a "white" idea. That's irrational and unscientific, but it's always felt like it's the new white man's burden to me. I need to examine this further.

And it's not always cultural: Japanese Americans may respond just like Japanese Japanese. I'm a big fan of adding cultural information into the mix as well, since, you know, the more information, the better usually.

2AM_Club said:
Mr Master said:
Stop.
Apologies.

I find it stupid that it spanned into a "you're racist" thing.

That chick is fucking stupid, end of story. She needs to learn to think- but that would require a brain first and we're fresh out of smart ones.

And I thought MM's rendition of Wonder Bread was witty.​

Kawamura said:
Hrm. I see the idea of being "colour-blind" as a "white" idea. That's irrational and unscientific, but it's always felt like it's the new white man's burden to me. I need to examine this further.

And it's not always cultural: Japanese Americans may respond just like Japanese Japanese. I'm a big fan of adding cultural information into the mix as well, since, you know, the more information, the better usually.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of diversity, celebrating differences cultural, genetic, and personal. I'm just against judging and classifying whole categories of people based on such differences. Whether it's "all [ethinic group]" or "all [political persuasion]" or "all [gender/sexual preference]" or what have you, it's inaccurate and wrongheaded.

I'd disagree with it being a "white" idea, though. I take great inspiration from a black man who very famously had a dream, after all.

And I'm not saying medical responses are all cultural (if that's what you were saying), but some cultures encourage behaviors that lead to certain medical responses. Having your diet be heavy in fish these days (as I understand the Japanese diet traditionally used to be) would tend to lead to high levels of mercury and other heavy metals, from what I hear. Other things, some is genetic, and some is genetic-encouraged-by-culture, and some might be culture. Depends on the situation and ailment. But you're right, more information is good, and interesting. I just object to prejudgment and classification on those basis, is what I'm saying.

And the "Asian is a religion" comment triggered this hot-button issue in my brain. Sorry.

--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
Thanks! I've been honing that one for years.

But I think she was objecting to some of the rest of the paragraph, which... yeah, I can see that, which is why I apologized. I was largely at fault for kind of spinning it in a race-danger direction, I suspect, but it was with only positive intentions, I assure you. I hope I bloviated enough to prove that... :p

Mr Master said:
2AM_Club said:
Mr Master said:
Stop.
Apologies.
I was saying stop expecting to look the racist just because you're white. I agree with what you're saying. Should I not expect to look the racist because I'm black? If the content of what you're saying is racist (and it isn't) that just means you said some racist shit. But anyway...

2AM_Club said:
Mr Master said:
2AM_Club said:
Apologies.
I was saying stop expecting to look the racist just because you're white. I agree with what you're saying. Should I not expect to look the racist because I'm black? If the content of what you're saying is racist (and it isn't) that just means you said some racist shit. But anyway...
Oh! Well, that's better, then. :)

And SN, I thought you just hated everybody equally!

Mr Master said:
2AM_Club said:
Mr Master said:
Apologies.
Oh! Well, that's better, then. :)

And SN, I thought you just hated everybody equally!
Not everybody, some people are alright. But if someone gets on my bad side and they also happen to be a minority, I'm not shy about hauling out the high caliber insults.

Well, that's why I mentioned it. It seems to be a mental tic and I wonder where it comes from. Figured you should know, since it most likely influences my ideas.

--+Hahvoc Requiem+-- said:
I find it stupid that it spanned into a "you're racist" thing.

That chick is fucking stupid, end of story. She needs to learn to think- but that would require a brain first and we're fresh out of smart ones.

• Indeed she is retarded and that's what I was getting at. Perhaps I should have posted this in the PVP after all....XD

I also thought MM's comment was witty....[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Back
Top Bottom