Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

All Things Even

GravySaid

Meteorite
This is a back story to a much longer story I aim to right. It introduces certain creatures and some rivalries. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The gray skies had started to empty; the emerging snow had started to settle on the peaks of the Bilgila Mountains. The winds were screaming through the valleys, tearing at the flesh of many creatures who were busy stockpiling crops for the brutal and barren months ahead. A number of creatures called the cliff face of the mountains home.

Two Apaclifs, a hybrid of man and ape, searched the nooks of rocks for plants and berries, while they kept one eye scanning the skies. Ossum and his brother Suuha, clothed in rags, used their ape-like hands to rip at roots on a narrow ledge. Two rickety bows and quivers of home-made arrows leaned against the rock.

“The cold will soon be upon us” proclaimed Ossum.
“Along with the Uf,” replied Suuha, his hands trembling while he stuffed plants of all description into a sack that was draped over his shoulder. Ossum rested a hand on Suuha’s shoulder.

“Our time to die will come, but not today,” Ossum soothed. Ossum returned to harvesting the fruit of the cliff face. “We have many mouths to feed, and the fear of death will not feed the hungry,” Ossum continued.

“Then let's finish here, and be gone,” Suuha replied, as he placed the last of the crop into his sack. “My sack is full,” Suhha continued as his eyes looked towards the gloomy sky. A shadow momentarily appeared over the brothers. “And just into time,” he continued. Ossum turned his eyes to the skies, he squinted as he watched the uf soar to the air. An Uf, a gigantic owl, circled above them as in claimed its territory in the skies.

The ginormous beast has ruled the skies for thousands of years, and no creature was able to contend with their brutal attacks. They silently ride the wind and savage whatever unfortunate creature their eyes preyed upon.

Suhha reached for his bow and arrow and points it skywards. “If you want to be right about not dying today, then we leave?” encouraged Suhha.
“Its eyes aren’t for us,” replied Ossum, he then gestured to a hooded figure below on an isolated trail.

Suhha relaxed his grip on his bow and slung it over his shoulder. His powerful hand rested on his chin, paused, “I guess the apaclif survive for another day,” said Suhha. He tightened his sack and started to climb the cliff face.

“Wait!” exclaimed Ossum.A giant blur dropped from the sky and sped towards the ground.

“No, we must go, we can’t save him,” replied Suhha.

“Maybe, maybe not,” said Ossum. Ossum grabbed an arrow, then waved at his brother as he jumped from the ledge and dropped after the Uf.

“Ossum, no!,” screamed Suhha. Suhha jumped from the cliff face back down onto the ledge. He peered over the edge just in time to see his brother land on the back of the uf. The uf snatched up the hooded figure from the trail. Its giant talon scooped up the unexpected victim and knocked them unconscious.

Ossum gripped onto the giant feathers as the uf started to climb back to the electric blue sky. He started to climb up the uf’s body, as the giant beast soared upwards. With the arrow gripped tightly in one hand, he crawled hand over fist until he reached the beast’s neck.

“Time to land,” whispered Ossum. As the Uf tore through the wind, Ossum used his remaining strength to leap his way onto the Uf’s head. In a panic, the Uf shook violently to dislodge the valiant apaclif. A sharp turn of direction and the Uf raced groundwards. With one a thrust and a twist, Ossum launched the arrow into the Uf’s eye.

The uf screamed as blood spurted from the wound. The shriek reverberated through the valley, and it sent creatures into hiding. The sound bounced cliff face to cliff face and was finally muffled as is raced through the trees.
“I will sacrifice your flesh to my children,” angered the uf.

"Apaclif believes not,” replied Ossum. In a flash, Ossum from one side of the uf’s face to the other. The uf tried to shake him off but was unable to stop Ossum as he pushed his arrow into the uf’s bright yellow eye.

With a “screech,” the uf started to plummet downwards towards the mountain of trees. It drifted side to side unable to see, and not able to throw Ossum from his body. The giant creature drifted towards, then away from the cliff face, until its mighty body crashed into the gray rock. The beast crumpled and started to fall downwards unable to correct its flight. With prey still clutched in its talons, and Ossum on its body, the uf demise came as it struck might boulders at the base of the cliff. Its neck snapped violently, and it’s body fell limp. Ossum was thrown a short distance away and his body rolled across the rocks. The unconscious stranger was slowly released from his talon cage.

Suhha, had scrambled down the cliff face and rushed to his fallen brother. Ossum had started to regain his footing.

“What were you doing?” proclaimed Suhha, as he grabbed his brother by the arm.

“In the end, falling at great speed,” Smiled Ossum. He grabbed his ribs and winced as he laughed, Suhha didn’t smile.

“You didn’t know him, why risk it all?” sounded an exasperated Suhha. He turned to look at the uf’s attended meal. The stranger was now sitting against the base of the cliff face.

“I believe Krozer owes someone thanks,” said Krozer. He tried to get to his feet but slides back down the rock.

Ossum ambled over to Krozer and stretched out his long arm. “No thanks needed,” said Ossum. With a swift pull, Krozer is back on his feet.

Krozer hobbled towards the uf and rested a hand on its head. “I’m glad to to be standing, but to have died by such a creature would have been an honor,” pondered Krozer.

Suhha, first clenched his fist then his rugged teeth, “Too many of our kin have died by such a creature, at to those who survive it’s no honor,” snapped Suhha.
Krozer turned sharply to face the brothers, “Kroser meant no offense,” replied Krozer speedily. He walked towards Ossum, “let me repay your kindness.” After a few steps, an aggressive Suhha stepped in front of him.

“You step no further! We need no thanks, be one your way,” snapped Suhha. He grabbed his brother’s arm and dragged him to leave. “We don’t need his kindness,” he continued. The brothers turned abruptly and started to walk speedily away.

“Brave as he was, the uf are mighty beasts, Krozer can give an advantage,” replied Krozer.

With a hesitation, the brothers stopped and glanced at one another. The silence between them didn’t matter, they had concluded the same the response. “How can you help us?” they echoed. With a smile, then a grimace, Krozer searched the rock laden floor. He spied a solitary stick. He bent down and retrieved it. He tightly grasped the stick in his hand, he closed his eyes and started mumbled incoherently.

Eyes wide, and fear tense in his body, “This help, we do not need. Magic is evil, we must go,” encouraged Suhha.

“Wait!” exclaimed Ossum as he grasped his brother’s powerful forearm. The brothers continued to watch, as Krozer slowly open his eyes, and stopped his mumbling. Krozer stepped towards the brothers and opened his hands, he held a wooden needle.

“For any garment which thee make, you will be of the unseen,” explained Krozer. He gifted Ossum the needle, and then within the moment he was gone. The brothers glanced at each other, then back to the place Krozer had vacated.

“No one is going to believe this tale,” declared Suhha.

“They will if this work,” said Ossum as he hoists the needle above his head.

And another backstory story to my larger one.

The Birth of Light
The villages that surround the Citadel of Adnes the Awesome hadn’t prospered in decades. The people had endured years of miniscule harvests and atrocious weather. Brutal winds would blow from the north of the Sea of Anthon, while sweltering heat within the Jungle of Jade made their labor of life even harder. Numerous villagers had perished and the survivors were in need of celebration. Happiness, if briefly was about to be lifted in the presence a birth.

The pending arrival of the first born of Adnes the Awesome, and his gracious and graceful and petite wife Abigail was due to give birth. Adnes, a large bearded, giant of a man with a heart the size of his bulbous stomach. Adnes waited impatiently outside the elegant sleeping chamber. His voice boomed into the room.
“I’m waiting right her my Abigail,” assured Adnes
“Thank you, my dear,” replied Abigail as her breath drew quickly. Shiny beads of sweat formed on her velvet like skin that adorned her face. Her screams arrived every couple of deep breaths as the future princess of the kingdom edged near.

Waeser, a frecur, a blind woman with the gift of healing and curse comforted Abigail as she gripped her nails into the white satin sheets on her four poster bed.
“I thank you for your comfort and protection Waeser but get my baby out of me,” the Abigail whimpered. The impatience princess was fighting her way out, punching every inch of the way.

Waeser makes clicking sounds as she accesses the process of the birth. She glides closely to the Abigail and gently rests a hand on her stomach. Her hand started to glow a brilliant light of white. For a moment, the pain left Abigail’s body but raced back after Waeser removed her hand.

“I love this child but he needs to come out now,” Abigail screamed as she pushed and panted. With a loud sigh, Abigail fell and planted her head backwards into her goose feathered pillow.

“Are you okay my Abigail?” Adnes voice bellowed into the room.

Through a grimaced smile, “I am my King, for the kingdom!” Abigail replied.

“For the kingdom!” Adnes retorted.

“He means well but I wish he would just go away,” the Abigail whispered to Waeser.

A smile and a few more clicks emanated from Waeser as she positioned herself at the base of the bed. She glanced towards Abigail and nodded. With every ounce of energy still left in her tired body Abigail pushed, she screamed, then pushed again. Her screams echoed around the walls of the fortress but they faded away to be taken over by the angelic cries of a baby. Waeser wrapped the crying new born in a silk throw then and gently laid it on Abigail’s waiting bosom. Abigail wrapped her arms around her baby like heaven had been placed in her arms then closed slowly her eyes. The child’s cries and tears quickly faded away.

“My sweet, sweet child, I promise to put the kingdom and all its power to make sure you stay safe,” the Abigail whispered.

Waeser clicked joyfully as the large wooden door slowly creaked open. A large bearded giant of a man peaked his way in. His size is mirrored only by the sword that hung on his hip. A broad smile appears across his face as he sees the Abigail cradling their baby.

“We can confirm it’s a beautiful baby girl?” Adnes bellowed as a huge smile formed.

Waeser clicked excitedly as she nodded her head. Adnes closed the door behind him as he strode into the room.

“I never doubted you for a moment,” chuckled Adnes. “Let me see my girl”.
The Abigail slowly opened her eyes.

Abigail shook her head. “You’re so impatient, can this not wait?” she asked.
Adnes paused his stride so he could consider his response. “No,” he laughed loudly. Adnes widened his long stride until he reached the royal bed. He gazed down at the precious child that he knew one day he would leave his kingdom. He reached out to his daughter but his motion is paused as a commotion started outside the door. The screams from outside the door sounded like someone was having their limbs removed.

“Stay behind me!” ordered Adnes as he positioned his hefty framed between the large wooden door and his wife and child. He placed his hand on his sword and removed it from its sheath. A fearful Waeser glided to the side of the queen and princess as she clicked frantically.

The noise outside the room became louder before it ended momentarily with a death scream. Seconds later, the wooden door splinted inwards as a blood-stained body of a soldier crashed through. Adnes had never feared for the loss of his life but the fear of losing his children raced through his veins.

“In the name of the Gods, who would dare deface the royal chamber?” he ordered. A few moments after the Adnes’ words were spoken, an awentol, a shape-shifter in its true form stood seven-foot-tall that is covered in green scales lopped into the room. Blood dripped from its long talon like fingers. Its deep red eyes flicked back and forth from Adnes to the baby.

“Keep you devil eyes on me, the baby is not for you, I am your enemy,” raged Adnes.

“Ulfang the Black, wishes to bless your child’s birth with her death,” hissed the awentol. The creature stepped closer towards the bed but not before Adnes positioned himself between death and his child.

‘I am a kind man at heart but if you do not leave my kingdom and never to return all my might and power will swing through this sword and strike you down,” commanded Adnes as he raised the giant sword above his head.

“I haven’t entered your liar to be bargained with. I am here to fulfil payment to Ulfang. He pays very well,” sniggered the awentol. He takes a step towards Adnes.

“If you know who I am then you must know I am the greatest warrior in these or any lands?” queried Adnes.

“That you are and you would very likely take my life if I was on my own,” said the awentol. “Luckily, I bought reinforcements.”

The awentol reached for a small leather pouch on his hip. He sliced the pouch with his talon and placed it on the floor. Three identical mice raced out of the pouch and scurried underneath he queen’s bed.

“Four against one seems a little unfair but I will take the distraction,” said the awentol.

In a flash the awentol transformed into a mirror image of the mice. It looked up at Adnes but moved swiftly as Adnes brought his sword crashing down on the floor. The speed of the mouse match Adnes and swiftly disappeared under the bed.

“Stay on the bed, stay on high ground!” ordered Adnes as he looked towards his terrified wife. It will only take one scratch or bite and we will lose her.” Adnes took a deep breath and lowered his massive frame down onto one knee. He lifted the lace skirt of the bed and peered underneath, he saw the four mice in a small huddle before they disappear to all sides of the bed. Adnes brings his giant hand down and thumped the floor angrily.

“I will skin them, and feed them to the dogs!” growled Adnes as he rose to his feet. He scoured the room and spied one mouse scale a small table and sit on top as if to mock him. In a few strides and a mighty swing his sword crashed down on the mouse and shattered the table beneath it.

“Kill them quickly,” order the queen as she gripped onto her unaware child. The child cooed at her mother oblivious to the danger that surrounded her.
Waeser clicked loudly and grabbed Adnes’ attention. She pointed to the violet drapes that hung to the side of the large ornate window. A second mouse clung half way up the drape and squeaked. A few steps and Adnes was upon it. He pulled down the drape and wrapped the mouse inside it, he placed the drape beneath his gigantic foot and pounded it into the floor.

“Only two remain, then I kill Ulfang. This is the last time I forgive my brother’s treachery, Andes said angrily. He turned back to face his Abigail just in time to see and mouse run out from beneath his daughter’s throw. Moment later, the child started to cry loudly.

“No!” Adnes screamed as stomped towards the creature as it scurried down the side of the bed. It was too quick and disappeared out the door. Abigail tried to soothe the baby as she inspected the wound on the child’s big toe. A small droplet of blood trickled out onto a napkin.

Horror and the waiting doomed started to etch into the faces of the mortified parents.

“What can we do?” asked Abigail as she rocked he daughter in her arms, Adnes sat heavily down onto the bed then rested his giant hand gently down on his daughter’s fragile head.

The is no cure in the kingdom, or any kingdom to retract the poison,” a distraught Adnes replied.

“There must be, we can’t lose her so soon,” she cried.
“We must accept the inevitable, and love her while we have her. The poison acts quickly, she will be gone soon,” Adnes relayed. The sadness started to fill the room as the new-born’s color paled in her face. Her breathe became shallow as tears fell from her parent’s eyes.

“Life isn’t meant to be this short, we were supposed to protect her and now she will soon be gone,” exclaimed Abigail as she stared into her fading daughter’s bright blue eyes.

Waeser clicked quietly in the safe haven in the corner of the room. Adnes turned to her and begged for her help.

“Is there nothing you can do?” he asked.
With a nod of head and clicks that echoed around the room she glided towards Abigail as she sat distraught on the bed. Waeser placed her hand onto Abigail’s shoulder, a glow started to form Abigail and the fading child. Abigail fell into to a trance.

“They is something I can do but there will be a price,” said Waeser as she used Abigail as a conduit. “If I place a spell to bring her life then she will be good or evil, and her life can be no more than twenty-five cycles” she continued. “Then when she dies again, her future will be reborn and which side she chooses will not be of hers. This will be her life over and over,” she explained. Adnes paused in thought for just a moment.

“For my wife and the kingdom I will accept that. Do as you wish and it will be our secret to keep. On her death, I will explain to the queen.” He declared.
Waeser release her hand from Abigail. Abigail fell gently back into the bed with the assistance of Adnes.

“Before she wakes,” Adnes ordered.

Waeser reached her hand and placed it on the baby’s heart. She clicked merrily for more than a moment and then it was done. The baby’s heart stopped for a beat then restarted with a glow that force Waeser hand away.

“Is it done?” Adnes inquired.

After a nod of her head Waeser glided out of the room. The baby started to cry as if it had entered the world. The cries woke from her slumber.

“My child, you are here!” she exclaimed.

“It is a miracle my dear. Let us have her for as long as we are gifted and treasure every moment. For the kingdom, my love,” Adnes spoke.

“For the kingdom,” Abigail replied.

Another back story of the Drafend, and species of giants.

Too Giant to Hide​

The Titan Jungle belonged to the drafend, a race of strong yet peaceful giants that called the shadows of the forest home. The jungle even though not one of the biggest Ealbehatland was able to keep the drafend hidden by day. Mostly nocturnal, the drafend would only venture out during the day if someone needed their help. Gentle they maybe but ferocious fighters when called upon. As one of the guardians of the forest, they were unable to ignore the sounds of distress.

As the rains cannoned down on their branches and leaves that covered their den, brothers Vicfur and Vofur slept soundly in their darkened room. Darfend furnished their dwellings modestly with a few storage pots for their food and a bed of soft down. Vicfur, the slightly larger of the two brothers snored loudly as Vofur shifted momentarily in his bed. Not known for their hygiene they both lay in their sack-like clothing with a giant club within arms reach.

The brother’s slumber of the day was about to be woken as a sickening wail of a frecur filtered into dreams. The wail bounced off the walls and into the droopy giants that caused them to stir. Vofur was the first to wake as Vicfur snoring had already caused his inner peace to wilt. Vicfur slowly climbed to his feet then nudged his brother with a giant knuckle.

“Helped is needed, your club is at hand,” ordered Vicfur as he grabbed both clubs that lay on the floor. Vofur snorted as he woke and glared up at his brother.
“Quite an interesting dream that you and wailing interrupted, someone better need our assistance,” Vofur replied.

“Always the cheerful one,” chuckled Vicfur. “Distress is waiting on us, we need to go,” he continued as he held is brother’s club. Vofur grasped the club and used his brother’s strength as leverage as he pulled himself to his feet.

“If only to stop this noise,” replied Vorfur as he placed his giant hands over his ears. Vicfor plodded toward the large circular wooden door and creaked it open with his mighty hand. Sunlight raced into the room and chased the darkness away. “The day is not our friend,” said Vicfor. He covered his eyes as he stepped out into the daylight. Vorfur followed shortly after.

The beauty of the day greeted the brothers. Monstrous trees towered over them while a multitude of vibrant flowers was a carpet beneath their feet. The frecurs wailing continued to drift on the wind and bludgeoned the ears of the giants. The brothers surveyed their surrounding and glided in direction of the sound.

“Her distress isn’t far away. We must march quickly,” order Vicfor. He took the lead and led his brother into the forest. Their thud of their step was the only other noise could be heard as they conquered the windy trail. Numerous creatures watched the brother hidden from their eyes but in awe of their presence. As the brother’s steps grew closer to their destination they started to wonder what could have caused a frecur such distress. The women of the prayer curse did not fear as their power was feared by all. Even with this power, the brothers marched forward bravely to someone’s aid.

The brothers reached a dense clutch of trees were they discovered the reason for the wail. The frecur clutched their child close to her chest. The child’s heart no longer beat inside its chest or no longer resided inside its chest. The luminous white blood stained the scarlet clothing of the mother and child seeped from the child’s chest. The hole created by the claw of an awenatol that would now be in a time of rest as the heart of a child nourished its body. Frecurs have no face and unable to speak unless they use a host as a conduit. Their emotions are displayed by different ranges of clicks and wails.

“I fear for the awenatol and the curse she will inflict on it,” whispered Vicfor as the brother’s watched the sadness from a distance. After a few moments, the frecur turned her faceless face towards the brothers and from their auras, she knew they meant her no harm. Her wail slowly transitioned into frantic and high-pitched clicks.

Fearful of the frecur’s powers the giant brothers moved slowly towards her. There were known for their mighty strength but the fear of a debilitating curse ran fear through the mightiest of warriors. Frecurs do not like war and would often lay a curse on the strongest of sides in an uneven conflict. They feel a balance can only be kept when all is equal.

The brothers were beckoned toward the distraught mother who had risen to her feet after laying her child down gently on a bed of leaves. After they arrived at the frecur, Vicfur reached out his hand and the frecur took hold. Vicfur’s eyes glazed over and his body started to glow as he fell into a stationary trance. Vicfur’s hand relaxes and his club slipped from his grip.

“My name is Aphid, and I am in distress,” spoke Aphid through the voice of Vicfur.
“We are in deep regret for your loss, and that is would take place in our forest,” remarked Vofur as he tightened his grip on his club.

“As you have observed, an awenatol has taken my child and I am in anger. I am in need of revenge.” Said Aphid.

“Where is the beast?” inquired Vofur as he scanned the surrounding area of the forest.
“As truth speaks, the creature will now rest in its lair that is not too far,” said Aphid. “I am just concerned with this awenatol but all awenatol. They hunt in disguise with their abilities too great for many. Your people are great warriors but you trouble in your search,” she continued.

“We will search the forest and bring a swift end to your suffering,” assured Vofur.
“I will aid you in your quest,” said Aphid. “No more will you hunt in vain, you will have the power of sense once the beast is near. Your people will slay the beasts into extinction and they will live in fear of your presence,” she concluded.

“We welcome your gift, we will use it to keep all those in the forest safe,” said Vofur. Aphid released the hand of Vicfor, who then slumped to the ground. Aphid started to click merrily as Vofur assisted his dazed brother to his feet.

“Are you okay my brother?” inquired Vofur.

“I am!” replied Vicfor as he noticed Aphid. “Are we to be cursed?” he questioned.
“We are not, we are to be given a gift,” Vofur replied. Aphid completed her curse, nodded towards the brothers and scooped up her still child. She glided swiftly into the dense forest and away from the light of the sun and the brother’s eyes.

“What gift have we been granted?” requested Vicfor. As the question was finished the brothers felt an electric pulse trickle through their bodies. An awareness flowed through them and their eyes glowed a bright yellow momentarily.

A broad and excited smile crept across Vicfor’s face. “Oh, such a gift.” He said. He leaned forward and grasped his club of the ground. “To war!” he continued. He strode forcefully off down the trail with his brother close behind.

Over the following centuries, great battles stemmed from this day with the darfend putting the awenatol to waste. The awentol was now just another creature whose strength didn’t prevent them from being hunted.

Back
Top Bottom