Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How do you deal with your motivation to write cutting out?

NeonRain

Planetoid
I am having that issue myself. Nothing sounds really interesting to RP but I still have ideas and I still kinda wanna write, but if only just barely...

So, that got me thinking. How do you guys deal with that? How do you cope? How do you get back into the mood? ect, ect?

I force myself to make a post, even one I know isn't as good as I can do and certainly not as great as I can do. And I tell my partner that I'm doing it so they can provide support or at least withhold criticism from it.

I'm so glad you're trying to get help! That is wonderful and tells me you really do want to stay.

AnnaBeth Belle said:
I force myself to make a post, even one I know isn't as good as I can do and certainly not as great as I can do. And I tell my partner that I'm doing it so they can provide support or at least withhold criticism from it.

I'm so glad you're trying to get help! That is wonderful and tells me you really do want to stay.

Yea. It just sucks because I like to RP so it sucks when you get disinterested with something that you like. :(

Also on a side-note. I love your banner GIF, can I ask where that is from? :eek:

It's okay to feel that way. It should be something that helps you escape, and that you enjoy, not something you feel like you have to do. Sometimes I get the same way so just know we all go through periods of it. Is there anything else going on, no details just ask yourself that, and this or these other things that are going on are spilling over into your life and taking up your creative energy? Maybe it's not writing but something else.

Thank you for the compliment! It's from a pseudo-fashion video. Here, it's called MINE. NSFW warning.

AnnaBeth Belle said:
It's okay to feel that way. It should be something that helps you escape, and that you enjoy, not something you feel like you have to do. Sometimes I get the same way so just know we all go through periods of it. Is there anything else going on, no details just ask yourself that, and this or these other things that are going on are spilling over into your life and taking up your creative energy? Maybe it's not writing but something else.

Thank you for the compliment! It's from a pseudo-fashion video. Here, it's called MINE. NSFW warning.

Oh no its not that I feel I have to do it. But rather something I kinda want to do but at the same time I don't, you know? Like my muse is only half gone right now. :/

It's also alright to take a break, even from only some of your RPs. I do that sometime. I feel bad for doing it, but it's better than dropping them altogether and it helps get my muse back.

I personally would rather keep my partners waiting than post something shitty because of my muse dying. All my partners are comfortable with a steady pace of writing and so don't mind if I take my time, so I'm blessed in that department.

Forbidden Fruit said:
I personally would rather keep my partners waiting than post something shitty because of my muse dying. All my partners are comfortable with a steady pace of writing and so don't mind if I take my time, so I'm blessed in that department.
I don't think my advice would work. :( When I want to get myself to write, when I don't feel like it, I join creepy writing sites with a whole lot of sexual tension going on. I've never been this creative in my life...

Wait, why not write something outside your preferred genre? Something that you personally "think" is bad, and you want to convince that group you are totally into it. I recently added a kink I wasn't interested in, but started having fun making the other person happy. And leaving an impression is one of the top joys of writing - IMHO.

FreeUse said:
Forbidden Fruit said:
I don't think my advice would work. :( When I want to get myself to write, when I don't feel like it, I join creepy writing sites with a whole lot of sexual tension going on. I've never been this creative in my life...

Wait, why not write something outside your preferred genre? Something that you personally "think" is bad, and you want to convince that group you are totally into it. I recently added a kink I wasn't interested in, but started having fun making the other person happy. And leaving an impression is one of the top joys of writing - IMHO.

Meh the issue is I already kinda wanna write, but not enough to actually write. X'c

I don't think of writing as something I'm motivated to do. I just do it.

If I have a scene or idea I'm struggling with I ask myself why that is. Usually there's something inside that actual scene or story that isn't working and is causing the roadblock.

I just don't write. I do other things until the desire comes back. It sucks that it leaves people waiting on me, but I'm not about to force myself to do something I don't have any desire to do. It isn't like role-playing is some necessity that holds vast importance in my life. At best role-playing is a hobby, and I have no inclination to turn it into some kind of obligation. What tends to get me in the mood to role-play during a slump is watching some movie or show, or playing a video game. Something needs to inspire me, but I can never make it happen.

I agree with just not writing for a while. I had to turn down a roleplay request because I just couldn't do it. I mean you can't force sex, you can't force love, you can't force art, you can't force writing, basically you just can't force anything. I mean it's good to push yourself every once in a while, but it's a hobby like Mitsu said, not an obligation, and when it becomes an obligation, like a second job, then you're in trouble. This is supposed to be fun people!

To me I find that when I get a good story going, I want to write and write. But sometimes it's hard to get that initial engine going. Meh, such is life I guess.

If I really love the story, I'll be able to push myself to write.
Sometimes I start writing the last paragraph, or in the middle... and then it all makes sense suddenly and I know where I want it all to go.

If I'm not "feeling" a RP suggestion, I don't go along with it. Much better than giving up on it or turning it into indeed a second job!

It's hard, I like really involved plots and characters. Sometimes I have found a good partner but most are wanting the opposite. I haven't RP'd for a long time as a result.

I got back into the mood to write! :D

If only for one specific plot though, others would probably be fandoms and the like. But at least it's something! :)

Very poorly, as anyone who's ever written across from me can attest; I have a bad habit of just... forgetting this place exists for a while when my RP urge dries up, and instead get sucked into some game or another.

Kinda sucks because then I remember this place exists a month or more late down the line and feel like shit because most of the people I was writing with are long gone.

It might be a while Erit, but I think you should always check. I've restarted RPs that laid idle for a year before.

Sometimes, the right partner adn the right story make it all work.

Back
Top Bottom