Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Might be taking a break from the site for a little while. (Possible advice? Maybe?)

Icelandic

Super-Earth
In short, my mental health is deteriorating to the point where I really cant ignore it anymore. I dont have any active RPs going on so that is good, but I am just waiting for a few people to get back to me so I can let them know I gotta get back to them later. Xc

I know this might be better in the journal section here but I am in part putting it here for some advice. A huge part of roleplaying for me is me being able to interact with folks, but my mental health issues are making it increasingly uncomfortable for me to interact with folks, but I am also very lonely and I want to talk to people... :(

So um... Yea... Advice? Anything? I dunno. I dunno if this is even the right section to post this... :'c

Are you talking to anyone professionally? Because it might not be helpful to take a break if you're not able to work on these issues while away. What exactly are you dealing with? Negative self talk? Overly self critical? Anxiety? Projections?

Advice I can give for anxiety is to maybe look up grounding techniques. If its projections that are making it difficult to talk to people then maybe recognize that you need to give yourself a break and that other people are very unlikely aware of the flaws you're worried about.

Also a very strange, self-defeating day to make this post since a lot of Americans are likely spending time with families today. It will likely seem a bit empty in here until the holiday is over.

Rudolph Quin said:
Are you talking to anyone professionally? Because it might not be helpful to take a break if you're not able to work on these issues while away. What exactly are you dealing with? Negative self talk? Overly self critical? Anxiety? Projections?

Advice I can give for anxiety is to maybe look up grounding techniques. If its projections that are making it difficult to talk to people then maybe recognize that you need to give yourself a break and that other people are very unlikely aware of the flaws you're worried about.

Also a very strange, self-defeating day to make this post since a lot of Americans are likely spending time with families today. It will likely seem a bit empty in here until the holiday is over.

I deal with PTSD and what I am thinking more and more is possibly paranoid schizophrenia. So basically extreme paranoia and anxiety, which can lead into depression.

And yea... But as you might guess I cant really pick when I feel like this... Hopefully more people will post here as time goes on.

I would advise you to talk to a professional. Those are some serious problems to be saddled with. I truly hope you are able to find the help that you need because talking to untrained strangers online can have disastrous consequences, especially for such severe medical diagnosises. It is also important when you cannot control your own emotional states(which guided therapy and medication can help). You know what they say about the help you get for free...

I am also aware that a lot of professional help is expensive and that might be a problem but these diagnosises you're touting as being plagued with aren't a joke and certainly not a problem you should entrust to someone unskilled or untrained. It will do more harm than good to lay yourself at the mercy of those who are not obligated to have your best interests at heart nor the accountability to be held to a standard of care. Just saying.

Rudolph Quin said:
I am also aware that a lot of professional help is expensive and that might be a problem but these diagnosises you're touting as being plagued with aren't a joke and certainly not a problem you should entrust to someone unskilled or untrained. It will do more harm than good to lay yourself at the mercy of those who are not obligated to have your best interests at heart nor the accountability to be held to a standard of care. Just saying.

I know all of this already... :s

I have a hard time talking with people too. I used to be a lot better but over the years I've just grown anti social.

Are you just looking for friends? I doubt that you're looking for people to talk to for help with your mental illnesses. Have you tried just casual chatting here or in other forums? No pressure conversations can lead to friendships if you have a well known presence.

Princess Pittooey said:
I have a hard time talking with people too. I used to be a lot better but over the years I've just grown anti social.

Are you just looking for friends? I doubt that you're looking for people to talk to for help with your mental illnesses. Have you tried just casual chatting here or in other forums? No pressure conversations can lead to friendships if you have a well known presence.

It is a little bit of everything really. Going outside can be pretty difficult for me so I converse in large part on the internet, but that also leads to paranoia as well...

That, and I admittedly use this site as a bit of a sexual outlet. The idea of me being in a sexual or romantic relationship in real life kinda super scares me... :s

It's best to go find a nonsexual site for conversation then. Sometimes Reddit is a good place, it depends on the subreddit and how mods deal with assholes. Plus there is a good level of anonymity there.

Princess Pittooey said:
It's best to go find a nonsexual site for conversation then. Sometimes Reddit is a good place, it depends on the subreddit and how mods deal with assholes. Plus there is a good level of anonymity there.

Oh I was on reddit.

Edit: Sorry maybe asking for advice was not the best. I suppose I am more just looking to vent... Thank you for hearing me out though. :)

Yeah, you need professional help. This isn't a 'It would be a good idea' sort of scenario, it's a NEED.

That being said, I have a degree of experience with schizophrenia, and you're welcome to contact me if you'd like to compare notes.

Hey there Icelandic. I understand issues with mental health dealing with your role-play interests but if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm more than willing to lend you my ear.

I deal with mental health issues as well and I know how hard they can be to manage. Please don't feel like you're ever alone.

I have been taught a few things to help deal with my anxiety and my paranoia when things start to get bad.

For my anxiety, I have been told to use a technique called 'grounding', which is where I make myself focus on my current situation and surroundings more than what is ramping me up. Find five things you can touch, four things you can smell, three things you can hear, two things you can taste, and one thing you can hold.
I have also found that meditation helps out as well. I personally use chants to help keep my mind focused on something and what has gone a very long way with me is forcing myself to memorize so that I have something complex to chant (I personally recite Poe's The Raven)

As for the paranoia, I have been told to form a 'safe' space for myself in which I feel most comfortable and retreat there when it starts to get bad. It makes things manageable and helps with the paranoid delusions that i have a bit but I haven't found a way to make it go away completely.

Again, you are welcome to message me if you ever want someone to vent to or lean on. I'm here for you.

Heyyyy,

I was more or less in the same boat as you were about 3 weeks ago. Not the exact issues, but mental health all the same. This site is also sort of a social place for me, but trust me when I say that your mental health comes first. I mean, you know this yourself. :)

I took a break from roleplaying and socializing and--like many of the others have suggested--went to see a professional. You won't regret it! Best of luck to you. :)

Back
Top Bottom