Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Delete please

RE: Ever feel like you are being expected of a lot on here?

I provide writing samples and make it clear that I'm not perfect, that way I avoid stressing over quality.

Sometimes. I am actually quite rusty with roleplaying, so when I start a story with a new person, I always worry that they will drop the RP after a few posts, but the fear goes away after the roleplay starts becoming established. When I roleplay with people I talk to I feel way more comfortable. If something is wrong, they will tell me.

I feel the same way, tbh. I have an easier time finding partners on other forums where the search thread doesn't have to contain every small detail about you and your writing. Here, people put very much effort into creating the perfect search thread, therefore people look at that and judge you based on the information you've put in it. I don't see the point with this. If someone points out a genre or a pairing I'm interested in, that's good enough for me. There are some forums where people are very serious about roleplaying, which in a way is good because that's how it should be. But at the same time, it gets a little too much sometimes. Roleplaying should be fun after all, and it's not fun when your skills (that you know you have) are being judged and in many cases thrown away because you don't have a complete search thread with several posts of text.

Does this make sense? I hope so.

I figure take a shot, if you click you click, if you don't , oh well, that's life. If someone is so burned out that they need to put all these conditions and such on it, I just move on. I RP for fun. I happen to be fairly good at it. But if we aren't both enjoying it , then we should stop.

No need for high and mighty ramblings and volume upon volume of What Thou Shalt and Shalt Not Do In My Oh So Significant and Magnificent Writing So That They Shalt Not Be Sullied By A Mere Peasant Who I Deem To Be Illiterate and Injudicious In Their Use Of The Queen's Grammar

If your rules are the lengthiest thing you've written.... what exactly are your priorities?

megyn said:
I figure take a shot, if you click you click, if you don't , oh well, that's life. If someone is so burned out that they need to put all these conditions and such on it, I just move on. I RP for fun. I happen to be fairly good at it. But if we aren't both enjoying it , then we should stop.

No need for high and mighty ramblings and volume upon volume of What Thou Shalt and Shalt Not Do In My Oh So Significant and Magnificent Writing So That They Shalt Not Be Sullied By A Mere Peasant Who I Deem To Be Illiterate and Injudicious In Their Use Of The Queen's Grammar

If your rules are the lengthiest thing you've written.... what exactly are your priorities?

This lady gets it!

From what I've experienced, I'm usually holding what I'd consider posting on higher standards then what my partners would mind reading. There are times when I'd feel really disappointed in a draft, and keep editing it for days, then post it when its somewhat okay and then get my partners approval and satisfaction. I guess I'm too critical of my writing for some reason. I do feel that a lot is expected of me but it isn't overwhelming because after all I do enjoy writing.

I'm also a difficult-to-please bitch but I'm also difficult to displease. I'm more drawn towards chemistry and overall plot potential/character appeal than each individual post and writing style. I could feel bored of/unimpressed with my partner's writing style but due to the excitement the plot/characters present they wouldn't hear me complaining. I feel most of my partners have the same mentality where they're more drawn to the story than my writing and that indirectly makes me more critical of my writing than others.

.. sorry if that makes no sense. I couldn't word it any better, lol.

So much worry about how we will be thought of... it's almost like having actual sex!

I never worry about the quality of my posts, I sometimes worry about my quantity. Many people write far much more than I do, and I sometimes feel like I'm not giving my partner enough. Thankfully, wonderful partners have dissuaded me of my worries and I try not to worry about it anymore.

Forbidden Fruit said:
From what I've experienced, I'm usually holding what I'd consider posting on higher standards then what my partners would mind reading. There are times when I'd feel really disappointed in a draft, and keep editing it for days, then post it when its somewhat okay and then get my partners approval and satisfaction. I guess I'm too critical of my writing for some reason. I do feel that a lot is expected of me but it isn't overwhelming because after all I do enjoy writing.

I'm also a difficult-to-please bitch but I'm also difficult to displease. I'm more drawn towards chemistry and overall plot potential/character appeal than each individual post and writing style. I could feel bored of/unimpressed with my partner's writing style but due to the excitement the plot/characters present they wouldn't hear me complaining. I feel most of my partners have the same mentality where they're more drawn to the story than my writing and that indirectly makes me more critical of my writing than others.

I completely get what you mean because every word you said was soooo true!

It all depends on my partner and how they represent their characters as well as the plot. Some partners I just cannot wait to read their response while some I just don't even want to open them because they aren't really my style.

It's not like you're expected to present a lot, it's either you connect or don't. People have different tastes and your style of writing might not be what they're looking for. That's what happens in the RP world unfortunately.

Forbidden Fruit said:

Well said, as usual Fruit. I'm in total agreement, too.. For me, it doesn't come down to the writing, but to the chemistry between styles and those who can bring a unique, individual personality to their character. I'll take memorable characters above all else, any day of the week, and have been spoiled by my partners in that regard.

As for feeling pressured, or the weight of expectations. Never, from my partners. I'm more critical of myself than anyone else could ever be, and the only pressure I feel is that of my own doing or due to expectations I place on myself. But that's half the fun, and the challenge of writing. If you don't care enough or don't want to give your best for your writing partners, what's the point, even if sometimes it can be hard work. In the end, its them I'm writing for, not myself , otherwise I'd simply do it solo.

Excuse any "attempting to type on my tiny phone keyboard" typos :)

I have yet to come across a style that I couldn't work with. Mind you I haven't been on this site a long time, but my experience with some of the people here have been favorable, (other than their love of smut, haha). I love a good story, I love creating characters and backstories, so I may put too much pressure on myself to produce something that is exciting enough to the other person, (my unbelievable willingness to please), but I find that if you come to an agreement, almost anything can be worked out.

That being said, and as many have said, it depends on the writer you are dealing with and what they bring to "your" table. Roleplaying is supposed to be about fun and enjoyment, the love of words and creation and what can happen between two genius collaborators. Setting the bar high is not a bad thing, you are what you are and sometimes you expect a certain amount of excellence because of all the hard work you put in. Same shoe for the other foot though, you can't expect your partner to do all the work, you have to bring something too.

Yes as a matter of fact i do feel that way

I'm more of a casual roleplayer myself, so I don't worry too much about it. I let people know right off the bat in my request thread that I'm not here to write a novel; I am here to have light fun. (For me) Roleplaying is about decompressing and relaxing, not to necessarily improve my writing capabilities and/or to unravel complex storylines. (Everyone has a different reason for writing.) So as soon as the process becomes stressful, its defeating the point.

That's not to say I am not capable of high-level writing. Its just I've experienced much of the same as you have. In previous roleplays, I have become self-critical and perfectionist with my posts to the point where I lock-up/freeze, procrastinate, and then end up upsetting the other writer/player.

So I don't do that shit anymore lol

I SO agree that you need to find someone you click with. Once you have a co-writer with similar desires, it suddenly becomes much less stressing.

And, a good balance between one liners and treating BMR as a second job - unless that's what you are looking for? ;)

Once again it's something to discuss from start to avoid disappointment and expectations on BOTH sides.

I used RP a fair bit but the constant dropping of RP's by my partners as well as being expected to come up with the plots and even character identity/traits for my partners just got too much. Add in that many people just throw down one liners devoid of any real plot or substance or character development and it all adds up to a huge waste of time.

Doesn't help either when the site itself is seriously flawed.

The same goes for my end as well. Few people dropped RPs with me due to not fitting their "style". I don't really mind it much, but I dislike when they just RP with you and just disappear without a word to you with not informing you in the slightest. It really gets annoying and I don't understand why can't things end at good terms and we talk it out instead of ignoring or disappearing against your partner at certain times.

Back
Top Bottom