Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

To Build a Better Thread

Hello all!

I've been using a request thread for my time here on BMR, with minimal results from it. I believe I've made it fairly organized and such, but wonder if the content/layout may not be the issue. I had a friend who used this site a year ago or so, and he had more success with his thread, but I'm not sure why.

So I'm curious! What has worked on your request threads? What sort of thing gets your attention when you scroll through? What makes you click away instantly?

Machiavelli

It doesn't really matter how organized or flashy your request thread is. What matters is the content, and more specifically, what you are advertising. Sadly, most people use this website as source of smut. They aren't necessarily looking for good stories, well thought-out plots, or even decent character development. They just want to write smut so they can get off, or use it to quell their sexual frustration. There isn't anything inherently wrong with that, but it can be discouraging to those that are seeking more. If you're following the popular trends, and list the right kinks, you'll be awash in partners (theoretically).

Your thread is fairly concise, and very easy to breeze through. Outside of cosmetic changes, something I'm not great with, I can't think of any particular changes you could make. Your thread is the type of thread I prefer to read though. If I see blocks of text under a header that is neither: plots, story, or writing samples; I will typically ignore it entirely, or close the tab. I don't care to read through someone's elaborate preferences, or lengthy self-introduction. A short list of rules or preferences is what I like to see.

It also helps if you're perceived as being a woman, who is looking to be as slutty as possible. I believe the majority of the people on this website are male (not that there's any good way to track this). Generally, male role-players have a smaller pool of people to role-play with. Those advertising as female have many male applicants, and are usually more open to playing with another female. That "gay" stigma isn't there for them (to such a degree). Male culture is full of men who prefer to distance themselves sexually from other men, regardless of the circumstances. They don't want to feel gay by role-playing against another man, or at the very least, they feel that it is a turn off if they're typing dirty shit to another stiff cock. Almost paradoxically, they don't mind watching a guy jerk off until he cums on a woman's face, go figure. So, the pool of potential partners for men is smaller than it is for women (or at least the people writing under either gender).

Anyway I'm kind of ranting at this point. Personally, I like your thread. However, I don't much like role-playing these days. You just have to be patient and stick to your guns.

Mitsu said:
It doesn't really matter how organized or flashy your request thread is. What matters is the content, and more specifically, what you are advertising. Sadly, most people use this website as source of smut. They aren't necessarily looking for good stories, well thought-out plots, or even decent character development. They just want to write smut so they can get off, or use it to quell their sexual frustration. There isn't anything inherently wrong with that, but it can be discouraging to those that are seeking more. If you're following the popular trends, and list the right kinks, you'll be awash in partners (theoretically).

Your thread is fairly concise, and very easy to breeze through. Outside of cosmetic changes, something I'm not great with, I can't think of any particular changes you could make. Your thread is the type of thread I prefer to read though. If I see blocks of text under a header that is neither: plots, story, or writing samples; I will typically ignore it entirely, or close the tab. I don't care to read through someone's elaborate preferences, or lengthy self-introduction. A short list of rules or preferences is what I like to see.

It also helps if you're perceived as being a woman, who is looking to be as slutty as possible. I believe the majority of the people on this website are male (not that there's any good way to track this). Generally, male role-players have a smaller pool of people to role-play with. Those advertising as female have many male applicants, and are usually more open to playing with another female. That "gay" stigma isn't there for them (to such a degree). Male culture is full of men who prefer to distance themselves sexually from other men, regardless of the circumstances. They don't want to feel gay by role-playing against another man, or at the very least, they feel that it is a turn off if they're typing dirty shit to another stiff cock. Almost paradoxically, they don't mind watching a guy jerk off until he cums on a woman's face, go figure. So, the pool of potential partners for men is smaller than it is for women (or at least the people writing under either gender).

Anyway I'm kind of ranting at this point. Personally, I like your thread. However, I don't much like role-playing these days. You just have to be patient and stick to your guns.

I expected a smaller pool of players to choose from, given that is the trend when it comes to any community based around a sexual theme. I do wish there were a way to more easily tap into the more plot-oriented side of BMR, which I know exists. I have a wildly high preference for plots over simple pairings. Most of my plots, as I'm sure you may have noticed, do contain considerable smut, but I'd like some semblance of a story.

I too am now rambling.

I'm glad you found my thread easy on the eyes and on comprehension, and I appreciate the feedback!

Well, I am a whimsical person. *LOL* I cannot give helpful and objective insights on what people are looking for in a thread. :p I just click on a thread with a capturing title then if it disappointed me, I move on to a new one. Then I would sometimes sift through general titles, such as male looking for female, if I am feeling particularly dilligent.

I miss out on potential plot driven roleplays because I will only roleplay on threads and not IMs or PMs. I also have expectations on a writer's ability that make people avoid contacting me, but it's fine. Last year and this year have been a dry spell for me roleplay wise.

So... I think your thread is fine. It's nice that you do both submissive and dominant (and vanilla). I do think often guys need to contact girls they are interested in. Many girls just... won't. I'm guilty of this too. Sometimes I'll just post in a game thread where a guy I think would be an interesting RP player is very active and hope to be noticed. It does work ;) but it can take time. Every time I brought this up to them, they were like "oh too bad, you should have written..."

What attracts me to a thread... a title I find interesting, or funny. Sometimes the very username tells me whether I could be interested.

Your thread is fine. Its neatly organized and catches interest/attention adequately. If you're looking for adapt writers with commitment to a longterm story with more plot than smut, then aesthetics will be meaningless. Its true I personally got way more approaches after I had my thread decorated with graphics and had an attractive avatar, but I feel the people who were attracted by the visionary were the ones I ended up declining. Those who are interested in the plots and compatibility came at the same numbers before and after I designed my thread.

If I am to give an advice, just try and be patient, and invest more in contacting partners as opposed to waiting for them to contact you. Its sadly the male burden here, I hear.

Back
Top Bottom