Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Wife of the Dark Lord (w/Kosmik_Khaos)

JenivueGrimm

Super-Earth
The castle, no matter how grand, was nothing more to her than a stone prison. Once upon a time, Eliza served a noble and kind leader. She was an elven mage who was renown through the lands as the most powerful when it comes to protective spells and a heavenly appearence. She was a shield that would never break. For years she served as an advisor and close friend of the royal family. That is until the Dark Lord came around. On the battlefield, he was a sword that could cut through anything. He had conquered all the kingdoms in his path to rule the entire land under his single rule. His path went directly for their own and he offered a deal. In exchange for her hand, he would not conquer the kingdom. They accepted. It wasn't out of love that they were wed. An elven marriage binds by magic. She could not disobey him with her magic. Thus, the kingdom was now defenseless when he went back on his word and stuck down the royal family. Her barrier had been the only thing standing between his victory over the kingdom. With her under his control, he took her back to his own castle and from that day on, she was an unwilling shield.

Now she resides within a single wing of the castle. Her only visitor being her husband when he comes for her barrier. Not even the servants dared enter into her wing. Her food was already prepared and set out an a specific time and the maids cleaned while she was away in the garden. He doesn't even share the same wing as her either. His own was bedroom was in a separate wing. So she was left to waft about days passed. Other than that, she was thankful that they in fact did not have a honeymoon.

He almost never really demanded anything more than a shield. The main reason why he married her instead of killing her. While he was a demon on the battlefield and none could stand up against him, he knew that his kingdom was left with little defense while he was out at battle. Thus she fit right into his hands. She was the shield while he was the sword that struck anyone down... Then it came to the time where he had conquered the entire land. Then his attention had turned to having to constantly go out and quell rebellions. During these times, she saw more of him. Rebellions coming to their door and her ability being used to keep them out of the castle. Though, now things have changed.

She could actually point out the exact moment she knew that things would be different. Eliza had been lounging somewhere outside of her wing. Something she rarely did and was permitted to do. The servants made sure to leave her alone. She had been reading a book when her attention was pulled by the sounds of talking. Her husband and his generals as they often do, were walking to where ever they were going and talking about the next plan. Eliza turned her attention back to her book. The generals all dispersed to their tasks and her husband was left alone... Alone in the same room as her. Which after constantly being in the presence of someone, constantly being on his feet from the moment he woke up... It was probably something new for him. For years this had been his life on constantly being busy with his war and rebellions and now he had leisure time with nothing to do. Her attention was pulled shortly after again when she noticed that he wasn't out of the room with his generals. He was sat a bit a ways from her. It felt awkward and foreboding to her. A bit of fear seeped into her. It only lifted when his advisor came in with more news of rebellion. Still, she knew it was beginning.

Sure enough, give or take another year, everything slowly came to a stop. He ruled with an iron fist, but not so cruel as to be a tyrant. The people were not suffering, they came to accept the harsh punishments of his reign. Now, there was nothing else for the Dark Lord to leave his home for. Their marriage had been a long one, one which consisted mostly of them not even really seeing each other. Now, other than hearing complaints and dealing out punishments, it was just the two of them really.

Eliza focused on her book as she sat relaxed in a chair in their library. Briefly, she looked away to glance as none other than her husband walked in. It was a normal occurrence at this point. He walked in and relaxed in a couch. Sometimes he himself started reading, other times he just took a nap. During these times, she wasn't really allowed to leave. First time he had started doing this and she went to leave, she was quickly corrected by a piercing glare. Since then she knew that when he decided, then she could leave. It unnerved her for the first new months this started happening, now she simply didn't really give it much attention. Though, today was different. They had never really communicated much in all the years they had been married. Even during these times he didn't speak, just relaxed or did what ever he pleased. Yet it caught her off guard when he had spoken to her. She jumped a bit and snapped her attention to him. Then she placed her book down a bit as she asked,"I'm sorry I was lost in my mind, my lord. Were you speaking to me?"​

Nineteen years ago a war began that grew into a conquest worthy of legend. A young Shepard from an almost obscurely small kingdom rose against the tyrant King. Standing alone outside of the King's castle he declared war of the King, "Remember my name! Aerin Loyval Xatsel! I swear to you that I will have your head by the weeks end!" The prideful tyrant accepted the boy's challenge and raised his personal army to go kill the boy and burn his village. The King's full force of eight thousand strong marched that night with plans to surprise any rebel army by arriving before the weeks end. It only took the army a few hours to catch up with the boy, which is when they made their first and worst mistake of the night. Instead of shooting him down from afar the General of the army decided to ride up on the boy and try to intimidate him before killing him. As the army approached the boy turned and spoke, "I've changed my mind. Those of you that survive will come with me to take the King's head tonight." Those words still rang in the minds of several of his oldest and strongest soldiers, etched there by the horrifying moments that followed in their wake. The ground under the army exploded into a field of rock spires that impaled everything above them, man and horse. Over half the army was killed in that single moment of carnage. The screams of men and horses echoed though the night. As he promised the near three thousand men that survived rode with him back to the castle and in under an hour the boy sat in on the throne, the head of the former King sitting on his knee, the bloody stump of his neck still bleeding. The hall was filled with the surviving army and servants of the castle, gathered to witness the ascension of the new King and to swear their fealty to him.

The word of Aerin's coup d'etat quickly spread through his lands and soon traveled borders to a much larger neighboring Kingdom. Not believing the rumors of the new King's ability to take out entire armies standing alone they attacked. The attack was met by Aerin personally and once again he allowed survivors to join him after his first attack or die by his second. Taking the attack very personally Aerin mounted his counter attack that day. A day of marching and a hellish twelve hour siege found Aerin with a second crown and country.

Taking no time to gloat and celebrate his victories and new gained power Aerin instead immediately set to work on building his armies, and cleaning up his country. Rumors of Aerin quickly spread across the land and though many at first didn't believe a Shepard could fell two armies by himself and concur two entire kingdoms in less than half a year, but those lands bordering Aerin's knew the truth of the situation. As aggressive of a fighter Aerin was he was equally as aggressive in providing for his Kingdom. A year of tenuous peace with border kingdoms came to an abrupt end when three of them joined forces and marched against Aerin. It took just over a year for the war to be ended with the surrender of the two remaining kingdoms. The first Kingdom was wiped from the face of the world. Standing on a rise a mile or so from the Capital city Aerin pushed the very limits of his power and called down a rain of flaming rocks from the sky. All that remained, and still to this day remains, is a crater pocked field that is slowly filling into lakes.

As the years passed Aerin's empire grew, as well as his notorious reputation. He soon became knows across the lands as the Dark Lord, a living legend whose story was told to frighten children into behaving, men into drinking, and women into weeping fits. Inside his kingdom his reputation was still frightening, but only to those that thought about going against him. Never completely loosing touch of his simple roots and beliefs he ruled his kingdom fairly, but harshly. Most crime was punished with death, and the few that were not usually left the criminal begging for it. Unity under power, if the people wouldn't choose to work together for the betterment of each other then he would remove the option to not. Crime became a nearly forgotten thing, as well as poverty, upon taking a kingdom and it's lands Aerin instructed the lords of the lands to use all available land for farms. It wasn't long until villages started to pop up across the newly managed lands. Many villages grew into towns and a few into cities. Roads were built and trade inside his kingdom flourished.

After eight years of conquest Aerin met an enemy that he couldn't defeat with force alone. It was a beautiful place with fertile lands and the Castle had something that interested him, It was protected by a barrier that he couldn't break, and he wanted it. It was easy to find the source of the Barrier and he developed a plan to take both the Barrier and the Kingdom. Sending the King a message with a request for an audience to discuss terms of surrender on their part. Accepting his request Aerin made his single demand. "Give me the hand of your Barrier maker and I won't kill you." Knowing that he had the power to destroy them in the long run the Monarchs gave into his demand and wed the two. As soon as they were married and her magic was bound to him Aerin's men killed the Monarchs. As cruel as he was, Aerin kept his word, he told them HE wouldn't kill them, he never said they would live after the marriage, or would any of people who could lay claim to the throne. Taking his prize with him he returned home and set his Barrier into place. With his seat of power protected Aerin redoubled his efforts on unifying the rest of the lands under his rule.

Seven more years of war brought the entire continent under the Dark Lords rule. The next three years were spent quelling rebellions and internal conflicts all the while pressing his empire to reach new heights. During those ten years Aerin called on his wife only a handful of times to use her barrier when rebels moved against his Capital city. With everything starting to get more stable Aerin found himself spending more time in his Castle and less on the field of battle. One of those days Aerin was walking through the halls of his Castle with his generals and advisers in tow discussing events in the empire and what needed to be done about them. Aerin was never one to sit in a stuffy meeting room while having to deal with the important, but monotonous work of maintaining an Empire so he walked the halls during those meetings. The walking also helped him think, he always found himself loosing focus if he tried to sit during these talks. Dismissing his entourage with their orders leaving Aerin standing alone outside of the library doors. The silence was near deafening to him. How long had it been since he was able to be with just himself? It must have been before it all started when he was a living as a simple Shepard. Glancing into the library he saw Eliza sitting in there reading. Walking in with silent footfalls, an unconscious habit he had, he took a seat in a chair a few feet from her and simply watched her until he was found by an adviser with news of a new rebel faction.

Over the next year peace finally fell across the Empire and Aerin had started spending more time in Eliza's company. He never spoke to her during those times, and didn't expect her to speak to him. Though he didn't like for her to leave his presence without his permission. Today the tall, copper skinned man laid stretched out on a couch across from Eliza. His shoulder length, golden red hair hung over the arm of the couch his head was resting on. His intense eyes, which seemed to flux between an icy blue and a steel grey, tried to bore holes in the ceiling. Errant thoughts wafted through his head many of them falling apart before they were fully formed. Dropping his gaze from the ceiling to the beauty across from him he stared at her openly, she was his after all. The more he looked at her sitting there relaxed reading, a goddess of a woman, the more he started to think about her as a woman, not just a barrier.

They had been married for nearly twelve years and he could count on one hand the times he had spoken to her directly, hell this was the first time he really took a real look at her. She was paying him no heed per usual and he took the time to study her. He laid there and watched her for the better part of an hour before speaking to her. "It's been nearly twelve years and I am just now seeing you." The corner of his lip twitched in what could be considered a smile for him when she started at his voice. "No worries." He said dismissing her apology. He knew she was in her own world when she was reading, he didn't take offence to it. "Yes, I am speaking to you." He said in his calm, deep voice that was always level and gave no hint to his emotions. "I was committing on the fact that we have been wed for nearly twelve years and I am just now realizing what I have had sitting right under my eyes for years yet never saw." Locking his steely eyes onto her radiant silver ones he turned and sat upright never breaking eye contact.

"You have been here for over a decade and I know nothing about you other than your powers, it wasn't until very recently that I realized your beauty as a woman... Foolish of me." He said shaking his head. "Tell me about yourself." He said, his tone was not demanding at all, but it was a request that didn't come with an option of not answering.

She never really realized just how long she had been bound to him. Twelve entire years she had been the shield of the kingdom, twelve years since her former king along with the royal family had but cut down. She never really realized until now that so much time had passed. Yet the last part of what he said struck a fearful chord with her. Eliza had be expecting it, yet perhaps she had just been foolishly hoping he would never see her as a woman. Yet she knew and now her fears had been confirmed. When he sat up she immediately leaned back and even sunk into her seat a bit. Her eyes kept themselves locked upon his. Periodically, she had found times when she marveled at fates when taking note of his eyes. How much they likened a bit to her own, a possibly mark hinting at their union. Yet they were more dominating in their look and appearance.

Her mind immediately responded with words that her mouth refused to voice when he remarked on himself being foolish,'I wouldn't say that.' Indeed, it was actually foolish of her to hold onto the hope that he would never look upon her as a woman. Yet here they both were and she was unnerved about it. When he told her to tell him more about herself she hesitated a bit. Then she closed her book and began,

Eliza was born to an elven noble couple in a very big and prospering kingdom. Her birth and upbringing was one of prestige and privilege. From birth she was trained and brought up to act as a noble woman. Yet when it came time for her upper-learning she went down a different path than what her parents thought of her. While all elves have some spark of magic, she was showing a potential that couldn't be ignored. For her entire life she had wanted something more than the nobles life. Wanted to at least try something. So she had traveled to the northern kingdom whose castle had long since been relinquished over to be a college for mages. Once there she had begun her learning of the magical arts. Her primary teacher was an elderly man who unbeknown to her, was obsessed with the dark arts. He watched and scrutinized her as she learned the magical ways. What had been a small flame when she first arrived, now was being fanned into something much more. Her dabbling and study into magic was inviting the unseen well of power and day by day she was blossoming. It was upon her fifth year that her teacher made his move. He gathered the best of his students and took them to the deepest dark of the college. There he introduced them to the rite of the dark arts. It was then that she had her first experience with evil. Their teacher instructed them each to do the rite. It would make them powerful. That there would be no magic they could not excel in. All of her classmates partook in the rite, all but herself. She resisted and committed that she would expose what he was doing here. He took exception to that. Her own legend and stories began then and there at the college when she discovered her talent with protection spells. She had taken on her teacher, a very powerful dark mage, and had escaped him untouched. There was not a single spell he cast that she could not protect herself from. When help finally got to her, she was protected by her barrier as chaos that bashed and constricted around her.

However, as many mages do, she left the college to go out and see the world. To put her magic to good use. She found herself in a suffering small village that had been plagued by bandits. They were poor, ill trained as the experienced workers had been killed before passing on their knowledge, and in dire need of help. She had come to their dire need and fended off the bandits. Still, she knew her work was not done. While the ones responsible for their suffering were gone, the village would not last on its own. Eliza stayed and under her guidance the village was brought up from the edge of the knife with both her magic and the knowledge she had learned as a noble woman. She had reached out to the other villages and brought in more experienced workers who were looking to strike out on their own and needed workers. They happily trained and helped the struggling workers as well as educate them. More villages came to her in need of help and advice. She traveled from village to village, helping out in what she can.

Soon enough all her stories and tales brought her the attention of their king. She saw that his people were suffering and saw the hopelessness he felt. She offered herself to be his advisor and would help bring the struggling to an end. He gratefully agreed and with her help, the pressure and struggle of the poor were lifted. With her advice and the kings leadership, their kingdom blossomed into a sort of utopia. Her renown grew as time and time again there were those who would test her magic. Each time she protected the people. She was a heaven sent guide for them. In time, her own relationship with the royal family had grown into that of a friendship.

"They always thought that as long as they had me around, there would always be a bright day. All of us were always looking at the horizon... Well I suppose that rest really is well, history... Though I have to admit that I hadn't really realized that it's been twelve years that we've been married. The time just seemed to escape me it seems. I shall have to try and be more vigilant about it... Will that do, My lord?", she cautiously said as she stared back at him. For the life of her, if there was one time that she wanted to be able to read him better it would be now. She wanted to know where his thoughts were, wanted to know how she could steer him away. Yet such a pursuit she knew was futile.

Aerin watched her as she spoke taking note of all the subtle movements of her body, he could easily see she was tense around him. It wasn't a surprise to him. He had left her in solitude for over a decade and she knew only of the Dark Lord, not Aerin himself. That thought thrummed across Aerin's psyche. When was the last time he was just Aerin, not the 'Dark Lord'. Pushing the thought aside for later he returned his full attention to his wife.

He caught himself more than once focusing on her lips as she spoke. They looked soft. Kissable. "Really man, how did I not notice her before, and for so long? And beauty withstanding she is a woman of amazing talent, why have I not noticed and used her skills to help my people? I'm a wool headed idiot." He rebuked himself for his hindsight.

"The fault is not yours Eliza, I am the one that left you behind these walls where time holds next to no meaning. I offer my apologies." He said bowing his head to her in respect. She was his wife and the Empress after all. "Thank you for the new insight, this will do for now." He said raising to his feet suddenly seeming to tower over her. "Next time I would like to know more about you, not just the history." He said before turning and leaving her.

As he walked though the halls he pulled back the thought he sat aside. Just how long had it been since he had done something that was for his own enjoyment not for the sake of his Empire? As he walked aimless though the halls he pondered on his question. It had been before his first battle nineteen years ago. "Such a long time to have lost oneself..." He said in a voice that was barely audible. Hearing his own voice brought him back to reality and he looked around. He was outside in the main garden. The perfume of flowers washed over him in the light breeze. The sun stood high in the clear sky sharing it's light and warmth with the world. Breathing in deeply Aerin felt a calmness wash over him that he hadn't felt since his days in the pastures with the sheep.

Walking to the far side of the garden where there was a fairly large patch of land with no plants. Taking in a deep breath Aerin concentrated a golden bronze aura slowly growing around him as he gathered his majik. Reaching deep into the earth he 'felt' for a deposit of limestone. Finding a decent vein he poured immense heat into the soft rock and compressed it. A thin film of sweat appeared on Aerin's forehead. He had never been so precise in using his majik. As the rock heated and compressed it formed into marble which Aerin then pulled from the ground. The block was huge. Standing nearly fifteen feet high and seven wide.

Stepping back Aerin wiped the sweat from his forehead. Using precise lines of fire, as hot as he could make it, he began to carve off chunks of the marble. Hours later Aerin stood shirtless in the fading light of the late evening. His copper skin shone with sweat and his chest rose and feel in heavy, but not gasping breaths. In front of him stood a gorgeous statue of a man and woman standing side by side the man's arm resting lovingly around the woman. They were both wearing plan clothing of simple villagers. The man was taller than the woman with a strong face and broad chest and shoulders, a wide easy smile on his face, he had a simple handsomeness to him. The woman was slender with an elegant beauty in her face, that almost didn't fit her simple villager appearance. On the base of the statue two names were etched into the stone. Temrah El'lindra Xatsel and Felix Loyval Xatsel.

Staring at the statue of his parents the softest hint of a smile appeared on Aerin's face. "I will remember who I am, and where I come from." Gathering his shirt he walked away from his work and to the castle. Naturally when he was seen by someone they came running to him with news of someone or another looking for him for some trivial matter that they should be able to handle themselves. "Before anything I would like to bathe and eat then I will meet with who ever it is that needs my attention." He told the man who was still talking in a monotone drone. "Of course my Lord." He said before going back to his reports without missing a beat.

It was several days after speaking to Eliza that Aerin showed back up to the library, though he said nothing as he sat, simply watching her, studying her with his frozen steel eyes. The cycle of silence they had before returned as his visits continued. Some days reading himself, some just laying on the couch across from her watching.

Her eyes followed him until he had left the library. Even then she continued to stare at the doors as her mind started to drift between thought after thought. Thoughts of if she had offended him, thoughts of what was going to happen now, etc. Then it ended with what he has said. Wanting to know more than just her background. It was actually a strange comment. At least with it came to herself. From birth, if you were a noble then your actions were who you were. Even when she was young she had always been described in action only and never in trait. She shook it from her mind and went back to reading her book again. Leaving the thoughts to drift away and she dove into the world of words again. Yet the longer time etched on, the more she found herself stealing glances to where he had been. Few over a ten years she had been isolated with no one to talk to. Servants were forbidden really to interact with her. So for the first time in a long time, she had actually talked with someone. Talked without the context of orders or work. Eliza found she was craving more.

Soon enough she found herself leaving the library as well to go back to her room in her wing of the castle. Dress and hair trailed behind a bit as she walked through the halls. In a hallway that overlooked the city beyond the castle walls, she stopped and gazed down at it. People were rushing home to their families. Children lingering in the streets to play just a bit more before dinner. Her keen eyes observed the small movements and flickering lights. She took in a deep breath and then relaxed herself as she breathed out. Hesitantly, she brought herself away from the peaceful sight and into her room she went. Her eyes looked around again. Standing in the door frame she took in the rich elegant room and the sounds that came with it. Which was no sounds at all. This prison of hers was a silent one, one devoid of life really. She was kept in a silent golden cage to sing when a command was given. Twelve entire years of being a shield. Yet her mind turned to the now very possible alternative. Being a woman. She wondered what future that meant for her. What she would have to do. Well she really didn't have to wonder all that much. Same thing as anyone woman. She shuddered and she entered the room. The thought terrified her. Was it foolish that she wanted to hold out hopes that he would leave the fate of the throne empty. Let the lands once again separate and disperse. Perhaps, as selfish as it was, that it was foolish. Delicately, she laid down on the bed to nap until dinner was called.

The routine seemed to continue after that talk. Like he had never really spoken at all. As if it was a nightmare that she had. It was the same as normal. They ate different times, he never tried to talk to her again. It was back to how it was. Yet the more time passed. She had again the strange notion that she preferred to speak with him again. The servants were terrified due to the past of possessiveness on his part. Protecting his shield even from possible inside dangers. Back in the days of war when that very well might have been a danger. Yet still, it has yet to be see that the rule had changed. He was the only one that she could talk to in this place and she was dying for conversation.

It was yet another day in the library. She had a book opened in her lap, yet her gaze was out a window with him sitting not to far away. Eliza was building up the courage to speak to him. Her eye drifted slightly over to him. It shouldn't be that hard. He was her husband and that meant that she should be free to speak to him, right? Even if it wasn't, she shouldn't be so scared. He was harsh but not a tyrant. He'd correct her if it was something she wasn't allowed to do. Her eyes went back to the city outside. Her incredibly long hair was pulled back and tied up. While it wasn't so long as to cause problems, it was long enough to trail on the floor a bit behind her. Her eyes caught something and she visably became interested. It seemed to be some type of festival or circus. Immediately, questions arose. Was it a traditional thing? Wandering circus that got permission to set up and perform? She adjusted in her seat. Her legs which had been leisurely extended now were folded under her as she propped herself a bit higher to get a bit more view of it. Her eyes hesitantly gazed back to him as she cautiously asked,"So, um... Is there a festival going on?" Her eyes darted to once again to the vibrant and festive colored flags and decor that had caught her attention in the first place before focusing on him.

Aerin could see Eliza was distracted by the happenings beyond the window. He absently noted just how beautiful she was doing the simplest of things. Growing instantly curious when her attention was caught he watched her readjust herself on the couch to get a better view of outside. She had an air of innocence about her that caused a faint smile on Aerin's face. Catching her eyes for the brief moment she looked at him he stood and moved to her side leaning next to her to look out the window.

Seeing the town alive with a pulse of people he looked to the colorful tents and banners that filled the streets. Looking to the sky he noted the hour, just after midday. "It is a little of everything now." He spoke breaking the silence with his low, strong voice. "When I was a boy, before all everything happened, this was a village festival. Sun Day, a celebration of the summer solstice. After I became Lord of the land I allowed Master Herr to travel my lands with his Menagerie, as I took nations his show grew into a traveling Menagerie and Circus. For nineteen years he has made sure to be here on Sun Day to show off his newest attractions and performers for the new year." He spoke evenly, revealing no excitement or other emotion in his tone, but his eyes shone with what his voice lacked. Turning his gaze to Eliza he actually smiled at her, something that seemed even to Aerin to be foreign. It was a dashing smile all the same, one that could have melted the heart of many a woman.

Standing straight suddenly he looked down at his gorgeous wife. "There are a few traditions that are still followed and I feel as Emperor I should uphold traditions." He said still looking at her with that heart snatching smile on his face. "Married women of the village, well city now, braid their hair with flowers picked by their husbands, the clothing must be bright in color and easy to move in, there is a lot of dancing, music, games, contests, Master Herr's show, and the day will be finished off with a massive bon fire and a celebratory feast with more music and dancing that ends when the fire dies out." Offered his right hand to her palm up. "Would you care to go to Sun Day with me?" He asked bowing his head to her.

Her eyes didn't divert as he told her what it was about. Though she showed an honest surprise when she heard Master Herr was also a part of it. Even when she lived with her old king, they had heard of Master Herr and his circus. Being a noble then mage then advisor, she never really got the chance to ever see his attractions. Her parents had always told her that it was beneath a noble lady to mix with the common folk at such things. That it was more her status to instead attend some ball. Then it was her studies that kept her from going to such things. The royals would go off and be with the people, Eliza had been the one to suggest it. The people having their rulers among them, watching them in a more relaxed setting enjoying the same things. It would help endear them to their royal family. Meanwhile she had always stayed at the castle to keep things alright. Still, she had always wanted to go out and actually attend a festival. A want that had only increased during her time her. The ability to get out of the castle for just a couple of hours, be around actual people, to actually talk to someone.

Twelve entire years of being under lock and key almost can do that to you. It made her starved for interaction. She didn't want to just somewhere to find it void of anyone. Or if there was someone there, that it would be complete silence. Her time here was always a routine of strict silence with an undertone of fear. Her eyes lingered on the setting of the festival a little long. It sounded to full of life, wonder, and joy. A place where everyone could just attend and share in their happiness.

Her attention when to him as he stated that there a few traditions. It was then that she actually saw his smile. She was shocked. Even in her wildest imagination, she never could see him smiling ever, and yet now here she was seeing him with the most warmest smile she had ever seen one anyone. Then he continued on, she felt like she was dreaming. Like she'd wake up any moment to find herself having dozed off in the library. Her expression lit up and she felt herself hesitantly place her own hand into his as she asked,"Do you mean that we're going outside?" For twelve years she had never been outside of the castle. She'd always seen and observed but never actually gone out and actually experienced. Twelve entire years, she had rarely been aware of such things going on. However, she'd never become too interested as so many other things preoccupied her mind. There was war, rebellion, and the simple fact that she had always been very afraid of speaking to her husband. Yet now, she was very cautiously hopeful. Her hand still shaking but still, at the possibility to actually just step out of the castle for a little bit, she'd take the risk. Even with how their last talk went, she would still jump.

The feel of the soft skin of her hand stood in stark contrast to the roughness of his own. Callous from years of work in the fields, followed by the years of fighting in the war. Yes he had his powers but he still fought with sword and spear in most of his battles, if they were good enough for his armies to fight with then they were good enough for him. He carefully closed his fingers around her hand as though he was handling the delicate petals of a flower. The light that filled her when she asked if meant what he said filled him with a warmth that he hadn't felt in years. "That is the plan, unless you are plotting against me and trying to get me to bring it into the castle with those gorgeous eyes of yours, I would be tempted to do it for you too if Linni and Lonnie wouldn't skin me and tan my hide for creating such a mess." He cracked the joke about his elderly Housekeeper and Majordomo who were more set in their ways than the mountains.

Gently pulling Eliza to her feet he looked down at her and examined her elegant but, ultimately plain, white dress. "First thing we need to get you dressed for the occasion." He said pulling her behind him as he made for the exit of library. Just as he stepped out he whistled a bird call and from seemingly nowhere a woman appeared from around a corner. "Take Lady Eliza and get her fitted for a Sun Day dress, I don't care how short noticed this is I will hear no complaints for you Isla, especially since I know you have been making dresses for my wife for years now and still haven't offered her a one." He said eyeing the young woman who stood with her eyes downcast as though her feet were the most interesting thing in the world, a faint flush on her cheeks. "You are not in trouble girl, just get moving, this is her first Sun Day." He said passing Eliza's hand from his to the girls. "Go now, shoo!" He said waiving the woman away causing Isla to scamper off tugging at Eliza's hand.

Turning away Aerin caught the eye of Lonnie. The man made no sound when he moved and it drove Aerin nuts. "Lonnie you know I do not like it when you sneak up on me." "Most sincere apologize my Lord." He said in his terribly dry voice. "What can I do for you Lonnie?" Aerin asked with an exasperated sigh. "I couldn't help but overhear you are taking the Lady out for Sun Day." 'Overheard my boot you old codger, you were down right eavesdropping.' Aerin thought cringing at the dry, dull tone of Lonnie's voice. "Yes I am Lonnie. How about this, for once can we skip all this painfully dull dancing we normally do and you speak your mind?" Aerin asked hoping against hope that Lonnie would answer in a manner that wasn't so...well Lonnie. "If it is what you desire my Lord." He said waiting for confirmation that was what Aerin wanted. "Yes Lonnie, it is what I desire." Aerin said giving up hope for a easy encounter. Why couldn't the man be like his wife Linni. That woman didn't give a care as to what your title or position was, if she had something to say to you she said it, and most often not to nicely.

Walking towards his rooms with Lonnie behind him droning on about precautions that should be taken while out, what should be done by the staff in his absence, and a slew of other questions that Aerin knew Lonnie knew the answer to but wouldn't do without permission, or at least running the idea by for approval, from Aerin. Standing in his dressing room while his valet picked out an outfit for him. "Lonnie, do you remember nine years ago when I promoted you to my Majordomo?" "Of course sir." "And that is a high position in my castle, You are the head of all my other servants, you run the household while I am absent, you maintain the order of everything that is outside of the public eye in this estate. I am correct?" He questioned. "Of course Sir." Lonnie replied again his monotone voice driving Aerin to wishing to tear his own hair out. "Then do your job man! You have kept my estate going while I was on the entire opposite side of the continent without a single letter from me for the better part of two years and all was fine. I trust you to take care of an evening while I am away."

Lonnie stared at Aerin with a flat expression and took in a slow deep breath. "Of course Sir, but during that time you were away and it was my duty to take charge, you are here now." "Ah-ah-ah-ah-a, no. Bad Lonnie! He said to the older man wagging a finger at him. "As of an hour ago I am no longer here and until tomorrow sometime after midday I will still not be here. Even if I am. You are in charge of the estates, if anyone needs me, defer them to one of the advisers, it doesn't matter which bloody one you choose, in fact, choose the one you like the least. I am sure that somewhere in there you still have something close to emotions." Aerin said drawing his face close to the old man's staring deeply into his eyes like he was trying to actually see the emotions, or absence of, inside them. "As you wish my Lord." Lonnie spoke in his unwavering tone. "I would say you should be more like your wife but two Linni's scares me... You scare me sometime Lonnie." Finally a crack in Lonnie's placid expression showed, the faintest pulling of his lips into a smile. "I live to serve my Lord." He said bowing and stepping out leaving Aerin and his valet alone to finish dressing.

Twenty minutes later Aerin was standing by the Castle gates in a crimson and violet coat with silver flowers embroidered up the arms and shoulders. Forest green trousers that were tucked into a pair of fine boots that were laced up to just below his knees. In his left hand he held a bouquet of flowers he picked himself from the gardens, the stems cut short to fit into Eliza's hair. He sent word for her to be brought down to the gates after she was ready, but in his excitement he rushed to be ready himself. "She has a lot more to do to get ready than you do, It's more than just throwing on a coat and trousers for her." He muttered to himself as he paced impatiently, but not angrily. His excitement wanted to boil over and leave him jumping about like a youth.

Much of her life had been spent observing and interacting with royalty and nobles. Yet in all her years of living, all the luxurious and outstanding outfits she has seen... None of them could come close to the outfits she beheld once the girl had taken her away. There were so many and she could see a few that she was still working on. Still, Eliza stood amazed and in awe as she took in every outfit. Each one unique and outstanding in its own way. After a good long while Eliza smiled brightly and exclaimed,"You are very good at this! They are all so beautiful!" Each one seemed to be custom made for her as well. Briefly she wondered how she had found her measurements but it wasn't something that stayed in her mind. Her husband had mentioned that the girl had been doing this for years. It made her feel a bit embarrassed. That for years this talent had gone unnoticed. That apparently the girl had been doing this for her for years and she hadn't been able to acknowledge the girl's talent.

They spent a lot of time going through and picking dresses. It felt nice to be able to talk to someone, even if it was just about what dress she was going to wear. The girl was very picky though, wanting to get just the girl dress for Eliza. It warmed her heart to see the honest genuine excitement. After a while of going through them all, they finally agreed on one dress being just perfect for the situation. In no time at all after the decision she was in the selected dress with a few accessories. It was a lovely blue knee length dress with a sweetheart top. Around the waist she wore a yellow crochet wrap with colorful beading along its edge. Her sleeves were detached from her top and went down to only her elbow, the beading on them giving them a colorful pattern that decorated the outer side. She decided to just wear closed toe flats since she was planning on dancing. Finally, she put on golden bracers and choker necklace that was styled to look like vines and leaves. Once she was dressed they styled her hair to keep it off the ground so that it wouldn't get dirty and Eliza applied a very thin amount of makeup. They stood looking at her final appearance in the mirror and she smiled before she said,"I do think you have done an amazing job. Thank you for everything. I've never seen a dress more lovely than this in my life. You have an amazing talent." Her gaze went to to the door way as she knew she should be going off to meet her husband. Still, it both excited and scared her when she thought of it now. A messenger had come and told them that he was ready and waiting a bit ago. They had been doing her hair up and it was taking a bit. Still, this would be the first time she was out the castle. How would the people react? How would they receive her? She worried that her arrival would tamper their high spirits.

Looking back at the girl she then confessed,"I suppose we've kept him waiting long enough... To tell you the truth, I'm a bit scared." She laughed at it a bit but there was a tone in her voice that obviously spoke that she was honest in her statement. There were so many things that were running through her mind. The last thing she would want is for the celebration to be put into a sour tone. This was a time for people to come together and have fun. She took in a deep breath and turned to the girl as she said,"I do hope that in the near future we can speak more freely again. Being able to talk with someone is something I found myself missing... Thank you again for the dress." She stepped away from the mirror and started walking to go and meet with her husband again. Even as she made her way to where he was waiting her mind was running with so many thoughts. Primarily, this new side that she was seeing of him. It conflicted with her and she was starting to actually like the change in how he saw her. Perhaps it was possibly that him seeing her as a woman wasn't this catastrophic event she was thinking of. The way he held her hand, it was staying with her. It was such a delicate hold he had on her hand. His eyes also had been so charming. It didn't match up to the man she had known for years. For years he had been this looming dark character. The one that had her shivering from just the sound of his footsteps echoing in her empty wing. Yet she supposed that was how it had to be during war time. Now when the age of peace had come upon them, it was time to possibly put away her image of the dark lord. Not that she had really spent much time with him at all until recently. Their previous interactions had always been about her barrier. Now it wasn't needed.

Once she met back up with her husband she spun around once for him and said,"You have a very lovely and skilled dress maker. I've never seen dresses quite so wonderful." She then hesitantly looked up at him and asked,"Well my lord? What do you think of it?"

Isla lead Eliza to her workshop which had its walls covered with skeins of yarn and tread, rolls of fabric, and other tools of her trade. The center of the floor held racks of clothing and several mannequins in dresses. Isla made quick work going through the dresses pulling out several at a time to find the perfect one. "Thank you my Lady." Isla said beaming at the compliment to her work. "Lord Aerin gave me this area to make your dresses in my free time, well it was for me to make whatever I pleased and you're just so beautiful that Everytime i see you I get inspired to make a dress." She admitted with a blush.

Finally finding the perfect dress and the accessories to match she helped Eliza get ready. Braiding Eliza's hair took almost as long as finding the right dress for her but isla took it as a personal challenge, a simple braid just would for her Lady. Nimble fingers worked Eliza's beautiful locks into an intricate braid. "Your hair is amazing my Lady." She complimented. As she worked Eliza's hair into the braid she talked idly of her time and duties in the castle. How Lord Aerin after the wars orphaned her, that many of the servants were refugees of the wars, how he required all his staff to be able to at least read and write so he put them all through academy. She even reveals that she was Aerin's and Eliza's personal seamstress which explained how she knew all her measurements.

Smiling at the nervous woman Isla replied. "How long has he kept you waiting my Lady, a few more minutes won't kill him." Stepping back and taking in Eliza's she beamed. "Perfect, now there no reason to be frightened, today will be wonderful and I'll bet gold on it. You just need to relax and have a good time." Smiling and bobbing a curtsy to Eliza she flashed another proud smile. "Thank you Lady, your compliments are to much and I would very much enjoy talking with you again."

As his wife approached Aerin found himself staring nearly enthralled by the pulchritudinous woman. The "Don't just gawk at her wool brain." He chided himself. "She is my wife and I can gawk at her all I want burn it." He retorted to himself. Before he could start an all out argument inside his mind Eliza reached him and spun. Seeing hey this close in the dress left Aerin, the Emperor of all Grennin, the Dark Lord, the peerless conqueror, gaping like the simple Shepard he used to be. When she looked up at him and asked what he thought he closed his mouth and tried to swallow but found his mouth to be as dry as the Farav desert. "You are beautiful." He said still staring. "The dress looks good to." He added almost as an after thought.

Gathering his thoughts he lifted his hand holding the vibrant bouquet of flowers. "May I?" He asked stepping behind her without an answer and started to place the flowers into her braid. He moved with depth less care and patience as he worked the delicate blooms into place. Once finished he stepped beside her and took her hand in his. "I figured we would walk there seeing it isn't too far and the day is lovely " he said leading her out of the castle gates and onto the city streets of Quien.

The streets were overflowing with life. People bustled about, merchants under colourfully covered stands hawked their goods. A plethora of aromas from perfumes to food shared the air with the sounds children running and playing. "Can you believe that not so long ago this city was a tiny farm village?" Aerin asked with a proud smile while leading then through the crowds towards the festivities. As they see closer the sound of music joined the noise of the city.

Once they reached the festival Aerin smiled at the numerous tents. They were filled with games, food, gifts, contests and all other forms of entertainment surrounding a postgraduate clearing where people were already dancing to the lovely music. Turning to his wife Aerin grinned. "So my Lady what do you wish to do first?"

Her eyes excitedly looked around as he lead her to the festival. For years she had watched the city below as well as it's people from behind the stone confines of the castle. Now she was finally down here and with them. She just couldn't stop smiling as she took in all the sights and smells. Her gaze went back to him when he started speaking. With a bright smile she replied,"A bit. I've heard stories but looking at it, it's hard to see it as small farm village. It's changed so much! Even from when I first arrived. It's grown so much!" Her gaze once again started wandering around as they grew closer to the actual festival site. Slowly, it transformed from the everyday city scape, to bright colors and lively music. Various tents were around, performers were going about their talents to amaze crowds, stalls were set up to sell various nick-knacks. At the center of it all was a large space where a crowd of people came to dance.

She didn't even respond to him. Happily, she charged forward, bringing him along with their entwined hands. Eliza felt like she was a young naive girl again. There was a bit of a skip in her step as she jogged through the crowds. Her attention was everywhere. She'd linger for a bit at a location before seeing something else and quickly recapturing his hand and dragging him along. Eliza would never move too far from his side, the only time she'd ever leave his side would be to grab something to bring back and show. Finally, after a full hour and a half of running to and fro, there was one thing that seemed to hold her attention strictly. At some point during a firebreather show, she had spotted a store inside one of the tents. She of course grabbed him and brought him with her as she went inside. It was a vast array of mysterious widgets. Thought it was the type that seemed to mesmerize her. A couple of people wandered inside as well, each one toying with the strange devices to see what they do. Her hand let go of his as she wandered over to a couple of little widgets. Looking at them, she swore she had seen others like this before, yet she couldn't quite remember where. They were very familiar though. Perhaps before she had become even an advisor maybe. Not even in her old king's land had she seen little widgets like this before. Somewhere however, she knew she had seen these before.

Picking one up she, like the others, toyed with it for a bit. However, when she was tone poking and toying with the parts of the strange device, she channeled her powers into it. Now she started to remember where she had seen these things. While she was a student, a friend had introduced her to little devices called 'Magical Puzzels'. It worked much like a brainteaser toy or rubix cube. You toyed with it to try and figure out how to reach a certain goal. At her magical influence the device came to life and a few parts of the device started moving. At this she narrowed her eyes, seeing the challenge. Again she toyed and moved the parts before again channeling her powers. Some of the same parts moved, some didn't. Finally, as she was toying with the device she chuckled before she said,"Sorry i've been all over the place. I haven't acted like this since I was a student at the College. In fact I haven't seen these things since my College days. The style of it, I think I may even know who made these. Though I just can't remember the name right now..." She messed with it some more before she said,"I swear I know the solution to this one, if I can just remember how to do it." Again she meddled with before she said,"This festival is amazing. There's so much to do and see! Have you visited this festival frequently, my lord?" Her fingers moved and adjusted the parts of the device before she tested her magic again. It was a process where sometimes there was progress and sometimes there was regression. Still, she continued to fiddle with the small device.

Aerin kept a smile on his face as he was carted around the festival. The happiness that permeated from his usually reserved wife was contagious. As they moved from tent to tent he examined the goods, even purchasing a few of the things Eliza showed interest in. When she stopped in a tent full of little widgets he grinned at her excitement. He had heard of the magic puzzles before but had never tried one. Listening to her speak about her days in the college made him smile. "I didn't know your went to the college, I've made a few appearances but never studied there myself, and don't apologize, it's a festival we're supposed to be all over the place and having fun. Otherwise what is the point?" He said brushing her apology off.

He stopped when she asked if he had been to this festival before. A torrent memories rushed through his mind. "Yes I have. This very spot we're standing in used to be the village green where we celebrated just about our holidays when I was young. With the help of the people I've managed keep the traditions going even through all the changes I've caused. Though it had gotten much grander in recent years."

Glancing around for a moment Aerin focused on a large group of people dancing. Turning to Eliza he offered her his hand and a warm smile. "Would you care to dance with me my Lady?" He asked offering hey a small, polite bow with his request.

"Yes, that's where I discovered my talent for my barriers. It is a nice place. Strict teachers but very good at their crafts. Likewise the other students are serious about their studies and seldom do speak above a hushed voice." She fiddled with it again, each movement seemed to remind her more and more of what was supposed to go where. It was nostalgic for her to play with these things. Her hands continued their experimentation but she listened and stared as he spoke of the past. It was like she was with a completely different man. Then again she supposed that war did have a very big part of it. Even she very well knew that everything had it's own story. Evil deeds sometimes had to be done in order to protect and cause good. Progress always comes at a great cost.

Eliza once more channeled her powers as she stared back down. The puzzle was solved. All the parts started moving. She smiled as she watched the beauty of the moving art. She really needed to get her mind out of the war times and finally see him for who he is. She looked to his hand as she offered it and smiled brightly up at him before gazing out to the dancing crowd outside of the tent. Eliza placed the little puzzle back on the table she had gotten it from and placed her hand in his. Then she bowed herself and replied,"I would love dance with you. It's been a long time since I have so do excuse me if I'm horrible at it." However, she moved to go with him to the dance floor.

The music was lively and full of spirit. At first she was hesitant in her steps, trying to remember and relearn the steps as she went while not stepping on his feet. However, after she got the hang of it she was happily dancing. Her braided blond hair moving with the rhythm as well. Her silver eyes were one him alone though. She was happy to be here in the moment. Happy to around various people and take in the energy. Above all, she was happy to feel alive again. He looked above charming. Her heart was full and it was nearly impossibly to keep the blush from permanently making residence upon her cheeks.

Aerin smiled at her comment about being horrible at dancing and just shook his head. "What is a few stomped toes between spouses?" He asked leading her to the dance floor. Keeping her hand in his and tentatively placing his other on her waist he began dancing with her patiently as she relearned the steps. As she grew more comfortable on her feet he to grew more comfortable with her body under his hands. Soon he found himself smiling like a lad again and dancing like he did in his youth. His blue grey eyes not once strayed from her as they danced and he took note that she was not breaking her gaze from him as well. A mischievous grin plastered itself on his face seeing her constant blush. Dancing her across the crowd of people towards the band he finally looked away from her and to the players. "Oy! You take requests?" He called out, getting a nod in response. "Excellent." He said flashing a winning smile to his wife. "Lady in the Tavern." He called out getting a surprised but pleased look from the band.

Instantly the music's already quick tempo rose to what seemed impossible heights. A visible wave washed over the dancers as some of the older folk realized the song. Grinning at Eliza he dropped her hand and took her waist into both hands pulling her body flush against his. "Try and keep up." He said giving her a wink before leading her into a whirlwind like dance full of quick steps, small hops, and many twirls. Lifting Eliza off her feet Aerin spun around with her leading her to the center of the dancers where several other couples were dancing, but most had just surrounded the others in a cheering laughing circle. When the song finally ended the people cheered for the small group of dancers that were able to keep up with it. Smiling at his wife Aerin eased his hold on her, almost seeming to be reluctant to let go of her. His face was slightly flushed from the rapid dancing and his breath was heavier than normal. Bowing to her as did all the other men to their women he glanced up at her with his blue grey eyes before straightening up. "Shall we get something to drink?" He asked taking her hand into his own and leading her from the dance floor.

Going to a huge tent that was filled with tables he took a seat across from Eliza and ordered them drinks. Looking across the table at the beauty in front of him he flashed her a smile. "So have you thought about my request to learn more about you?" He asked sitting back in his chair with in a relaxed slouch. Despite his lax posture he still radiated a sense of confidence and control. His eyes held an inquisitive gleam as he studied Eliza's beautiful face, blue-grey eyes locked onto her silver.

She laughed as the new music sped to new heights. With a playful smile she replied,"I'll try." Eliza let out a short cry of laughter as she was lifted from the air and spun. As they danced, she felt like her entire body was on fire. The stark comparison between the two was deliciously more apparent with their closer proximity. His natural scent flooded her senses as she happily did her best to dance along. By the time it was over she was panting as she bowed in return. Once they rose, as per her elven heritage, she rose up to her tip-toes and reached up to tip his head down so that she could place a gentle kiss on his forehead. Happily, her smile was beaming as she nodded to getting a drink.

Her hands folded politely in front of her as she took a seat and stared back at him. Her smile still as big as ever. There had only been one time in her entire life that she had ever danced with that vibrancy. His question surprised her a bit but she chuckled and said,"My lord, such a thing doesn't need a request... My full consent goes to any who take an interest." Drinks were soon brought to them. She delicately began drinking as she took the break to take in his entire form. He was always in an air of dominance and control. His study and muscled built sent her blushing deeply again. Her eyes darted to her drink. Even though he is her husband she found it embarrassing to look upon him with lust. Then as she had just recollected herself, she smiled and said,"I want to thank you for bringing me to dance. I've never danced with that much vibrancy in my life. It was nice to move and feel so alive. This entire festival is wonderful! We simply must do this every time it comes around..." Then her voice turned more cautious as she said,"My lord... I have to admit I am seeing you a much different man. You've really turned out to be nothing was what I expected when you offered to bring me here. I'm pleasantly surprised."

She had thought that this day would end in people moving as far away from them as possible. She was worried that people would be more silent and reserved. Yet it was turning out better than anything she had experienced before.

Aerin sat back the memory of the feeling of Eliza's lips against his skin clear in his mind. He found himself wondering idly how they would feel on his own lips instead of just his forehead. Tucking the thoughts away before they became too lecherous and distracting. Not that Eliza's smile hadn't already stolen his attention from the rest of the world. Leaning forward in his seat he rested his elbows on the table. A peculiar grin showing up on his features at her words he paused for just a moment to consider all the ways he could interpretate them.

"You're welcome Eliza, I haven't had this much fun in decades, thank you for allowing me to bring you, and for dancing." He said reaching out across the table and taking her hand in his. "Of course we can, we can also attend others throughout the year if you so desire." He offered her in answer to her request to revisit the festival. Giving her hand a reassuring squeeze when her time became more cautious he slowly nodded at her. "I haven't given you any other side to look at. I've only been the "Dark Lord" around you. Never once did I take the time to be Aerin, I didn't have the time to be the weak Shepard I was. I needed to be hard, focused, to become a force that would not be opposed. Something that could bring together the people of this land, something that could all but end the senselessness of endless wars over resources we all need. I believed if there was one person that could own it all, one that was willing to raise above greed and give everything to everyone thus land would be better. So far it seems to be working how I wanted but along the way I lost some of myself."

While he spoke his eyes feel from her face to study the table, now that he had finished he raised his eyes back to Eliza's. "Can I show you something?" He asked standing her hand still in his. "Well to be honest it's more a somewhere than something."[/i]

Aerin sat back the memory of the feeling of Eliza's lips against his skin clear in his mind. He found himself wondering idly how they would feel on his own lips instead of just his forehead. Tucking the thoughts away before they became too lecherous and distracting. Not that Eliza's smile hadn't already stolen his attention from the rest of the world. Leaning forward in his seat he rested his elbows on the table. A peculiar grin showing up on his features at her words he paused for just a moment to consider all the ways he could interpretate them.

"You're welcome Eliza, I haven't had this much fun in decades, thank you for allowing me to bring you, and for dancing." He said reaching out across the table and taking her hand in his. "Of course we can, we can also attend others throughout the year if you so desire." He offered her in answer to her request to revisit the festival. Giving her hand a reassuring squeeze when her time became more cautious he slowly nodded at her. "I haven't given you any other side to look at. I've only been the "Dark Lord" around you. Never once did I take the time to be Aerin, I didn't have the time to be the weak Shepard I was. I needed to be hard, focused, to become a force that would not be opposed. Something that could bring together the people of this land, something that could all but end the senselessness of endless wars over resources we all need. I believed if there was one person that could own it all, one that was willing to raise above greed and give everything to everyone thus land would be better. So far it seems to be working how I wanted but along the way I lost some of myself."

While he spoke his eyes feel from her face to study the table, now that he had finished he raised his eyes back to Eliza's. "Can I show you something?" He asked standing her hand still in his. "Well to be honest it's more a somewhere than something."

She nodded before rising with him and following where he led. Though as they walked she took the time to observe the scenery. Then she turned her attention to observe the people that they passed. There were so many people here. Children ran wildly about with their little games and activities. Many of the adults were caught in the web of its infectious happiness. The elderly were more or less sitting about. They had done their best to dance and enjoy but old age makes for one to be more restful. A few even were taking the opportunity to tell stories to children. Or even perhaps babysitting their grandchildren. Her attention turned to focus on Aerin more. He had done well to unite the kingdom even at the cost of losing a bit of himself. The land was united and it's people were joyous

As they walked on she gave a chuckle at the occasional surprised stare from a few children and even some adults. She could only imagine how strange it was for them to see not only their king but also queen out of the castle. She had always been known about but never really seen. Almost a ghost, she was only spotted walking by windows or from the library window on rare days. Though during hearings she wasn't present, even the nobility did not see the lady of the castle. It was a bit amusing to see how she went from being this powerful unseen being in their eyes to a very real person. Well both of them really. Even he for a time was most likely seen in this light. An unstoppable force that had fists of iron. Now looking at them, they were two merry souls finally being able to discover. As they walked she finally spoke up after few moments,"We should most definitely attend more festivals in the future. Perhaps even observe some elven traditions... What do you think, My lord?"

Aerin lead them through the city towards the south. A soft smile on his face as they moved through the crowds. The looks his people gave them were comforting. It had taken years but the fear of seeing him among them had finally faded. Every so often he found himself staring at the beauty on his side the world melting away until it was only her he could see. He voice snapped him out of his daze and he blinked a few times.

"I agree, and I would enjoy it very much to observe some of your traditions." He said with a warm smile. "Under one condition, you must stop referring to me as "My Lord" and call me by my name. I may not be a horrendous husband, but I am your husband none the less, and it would please me greatly if you could call me by my name, and not my title." He requested with his winning smile plastered on his face. "If you can agree to that condition I will be yours to take to whatever festival you desire, or observe any tradition you wish."

The streets had started to clear out as they approached the southern gate of the city. The guards on the wall called out to their Lord and before they could do anything to open the massive doors that when open could fit three wagons side by side through and as tall as any five men Aerin lifted the hand that was not occupied with holding his wife's. With a noncommittal wave a concentrated pillar of air pushed the doors open wide enough for the two to walk through. Once through he gestured behind his head and the doors were pushed closed with a heavy rumble. A stable stood outside the walls and Aerin walked to it.

Hailing the groom who was brushing the horses he inquired about renting a horse and carriage for the day. The groom got the stable master who insisted that Aerin take his best for no charge, Aerin replied in kind with a stern refusal and a small purse of mixed silver and gold coins, easily enough to buy the stable and all its horses three times over. With the extra coin paid he did accept a packed meal and some blankets to be added to the carriage. Loading up he helped Eliza onto the bench and started off into the warm late afternoon day.

It was nearly an hour ride before he came to a stop. Assisting Eliza down and grabbing the meal and blanket he lead her through the trees that lined the road to a huge plain of emerald grass on gently rolling fields, dotted occasionally by a large boulder and a few ponds. "These are the fields I used to tend my fathers flock." He said with a nostalgic expression on his face. "I haven't been out this was in years." He said reaching out and lacing his fingers with his wife's. "Shall we?" He asked lifting the basket and blanket towards the field as he started off towards the closest of the ponds.

Her eyes gazed out and observed the landscape that they passed as they rode one. The area was breathtaking. When she first arrived she had been so melancholy that she hadn't been able to really take it in. Yet now she could see the lovely stretch of green grass at times beyond strong trees. Various animals were resting and wandering about to those with a keen eye for them. She could hear the ever so faint sounds of insects and birds as they sang to the day. Even as a noble, she was still brought up with a connection to nature. The very earth could whisper to her ears. It had been a long time since she had been able to hear its dulcent tones.

As they came to a stop her attention went to him as he got out. He lead her to the open fields which she had seen a periodic times on their journey. Yet this area truly did hold an even greater beauty. She smiled up at him as he revealed it to be the field he used to tend the flock. She chuckled and replied to him,"I look forward to hearing more stories from when you were a shepard during our visit here." She walked on toward a spot she had spotted immediately that would be a lovely spot for them to sit and talk. It was close to the stream, a nice flat bit, and she did see a rabbit hold nearby. As they walked she said,"Did you know the elven people respect and honor the shepards and farmers more than the human royalty of the lands. You tend to land and animals, it's considered one of the noblest human professions to the elves. Hunters are somewhat on a line with the elven people. You can be considered doing a noble profession if the hunt is always honorable." As they neared, one of the rabbits from the burrow hidden in the grass came out. Understandably it was weary as it followed Eliza. She sat down on a nearby boulder and picked up the rabbit as she asked,"Before me, while you tended your flock, did you ever meet any other elves?"

When she was employed with her old king, she did remember hearing that there was an unspoken tension between the elven people and Aerin. Never a hostile tension but there was a weariness. The result was the elven people not really wanting to trend on the lands he owned... At least until it became impossible for them not to do so. Though as she was in the town, she had seen signs that the tension may have lessened. There was a couple of elven common folk. Though she was just curious how long the tension had been. Had it been the old king how kindled the elven peoples distrust? Or had it jut been the events that caused her kind to grow weary?

Aerin sniffed at her request to hear more about his shepard days. "I promise you it is a very dull story. While my Father, Uncle and two male cousins worked the fields, my Mother and sisters tended to our other livestock. That left me, the eldest child, to tend the flock. I spent my days out here in the meadow with the eighty or so sheep daydreaming about what I would do if I could ever break away from the life that I was locked into. Other than a few encounters with wolves and a pack of wild dogs my days were spent in relative peace. If you could call life under that tyrant peaceful." He said malice suddenly filling his voice at the mention of the previous king of the area. "I did some rabbit hunting and fishing when things got boring. The tariffs placed on the village made it hard enough to feed ourselves with the food we grew and raised without supplementing it with wild game. I would trade the pelts we didn't use for ourselves with the other villagers for the small amount of goods we had to offer each other." Despite the tenderness of the subject to him Aerin found himself at ease speaking with the beauty beside him.

Watching as she lifted a wild rabbit to her lap as though it was a pet he couldn't help but to smile. Even the animals felt the air of calm that she exuded. "Yes, in fact I did. That was part of the reason I wanted to be a shepard when I was a child." He paused at her next question and took in a deep breath through his nose. Holding it for a couple seconds he slowly exhaled and stepped to position himself directly in front of his wife. His uniquely steely blue eyes catching hold of her radiant silver ones. "My Father's, Father's, Father married an elf, as did my Father's Aunt. I was sure you off all people would be able to see the tell tale signs of that in my eye color." He said with a grin. It was my Elven grandmother that inspired me to be a shepard, even if the Elven blood is diluted in my veins it is still present and she told me many wonderful stories as a child about how her people revered the land." Dropping his gaze from hers he sighed and took a seat beside her on the boulder. Looking up into the clouds, the light breeze caught strands of his hair making them dance about his face. The way the light caught on the golden red locks gave the slight impression of fire in his locks.

It had been years since he had thought of his family, and longer since he thought of his extended family, or his slightly mixed heritage. The former King held Elves in low esteem and had actually tried to enslave those in his kingdom. That caused part of his family to break apart and leave when he was still a boy. The relations between the kingdom and the Elves had remained unstable at best after his hostile takeover. They are a people of peace and Aerin was a force of war. His violent takeover of the entire land put them on further odds. It wasn't until he had claimed a majority of the lands before they began to return to the areas they had abandoned during his expansion. His laws protected them but he hadn't done anything actively to try and make amends for his transgressions against them. It was an issue that he was going to address very soon.

Laying back he looked to Eliza and smiled. "So now that I have you alone, tell me about you." He said his tone light, but still holding a dominate undertone to it. "I want to know what you enjoy, what makes you smile, what makes you sad, I want to know everything." He said his eyes bright with curiosity.

She nodded and said,"I was wondering where a human got those eyes from. It's faint, but even in a faint dose, some features will forever stay. Suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised at all. Not many humans know or care about Elven culture. When the lord came back and informed me that your demands were my hand in marriage, I was confused. When I first noticed those eyes I should have recognized it all..."

Her gaze turned to the distance when he asked about her. With a deep breath in and out she began,"Well, that is a bit tricky. Growing up with nobility makes that a bit hard. I've always been spoken about in action only. Never really in trait or feeling. Growing up, I was always described as the daughter of my parents. Nothing else. Just that. Never really did like that but I suppose after years of growing up in that world, I adapted and also called people by action as well... Growing up, like a normal elf, I was fond on animals. All kinds. During our trips to different lands, I always was looking forward to our stops to farms and ranches. My father though, hated it. Every time he tried to ward me away from chasing the animals around in the muck. Never did listen and every time I was the happiest girl while listening to father lecture me about getting my outfits dirty. I know at some level he must have loved it as well. Otherwise why continue to stop and let me loose. It was never mother who went to chase me. Father was the one chase after me... I still do adore animals though. Seems they adore me as well. My favorite of the farm animals is the pig. They are so cute." Looking down to the rabbit she toyed and stroked it lovingly before she continued,"I have always been fond of anything with honey. I hate raspberries, always have. Didn't like the taste. Oh, but how my mother just can't get enough. Every dessert she would order for some kind of raspberry something. I wasn't allowed to pass on it either. Father said I had to partake in it every time. Once I was old enough, then he took pity and decided to let me walk out on dessert."

Her expression changed to a thoughtful one as she said,"What really makes me happy is... This. Sitting and talking with someone. Being among other people and just sharing in a moment. Those are what make me the happiest. Too rarely in my life have I been free to really connect and share an experience with anyone. Even growing up, I wasn't able to really connect with anyone. There was always some motive, their thoughts and self were always somewhere else. It wasn't with me. That is what makes me sad. It's the worst thing in my mind. Having someone physically beside you but knowing that they aren't really there. Their minds are elsewhere."

She went into a slight silence. Then she said as she looked up at him,"These lands are so beautiful. It's wonderful to be able to truly embrace the scene."

Aerin flinched at the memory of him demanding her hand in marriage. It was the smallest of things but it still happened. At the time he wanted her for her ability and the faint possibility of eventually strengthening the bonds between him and the Elven kind. "I cannot blame you. I was not exactly the kindest of men back in those days. I was a down right horrifying bastard." He said looking away from her. Again he found himself wondering how he had allowed himself to stray so far away from the man he was raised to be.

Raising his eyes back to her face when she started to speak about herself he found himself understanding her plights, though he only knew the feeling from experience in the last seventeen years. He had spent his early life being described by his traits and nature, not his station. A fond smile graced his face when she started talking about her love of animals. He himself had always been fond of animals, due to his upbringing and occupation. "My youngest sister was fond of pigs as well, especially the piglets." He interjected the memory into her story. "Honey huh, that doesn't surprise me for some reason." He said making a note of her fondness for the sweet substance. "I don't care for them either myself. To many seeds." He said wrinkling his nose at the thought of the offensive fruit.

Aerin felt as though the world slipped out from underneath him when she told him what made her happy, then sad. He felt hollow suddenly and his mind turned against him berating him for every second of the last twelve years he brought this woman. His wife by forced marriage, an existence of pure sadness. "I...I'm sorry." He said in a whisper so low he wouldn't be surprised if he had only mouthed the words instead of speaking them. Reaching out he gingerly took her delicate hand into his. Even though it had been nearly a year since the last time he took up a weapon, and longer still since he did any manual labor his hands were still hardened by smoothed callouses.

Pulling her hand towards him he lowered his face over it dropping his head. "I am sorry for the sadness I have brought you for so long." He said brushing his lips lightly over her knuckles. "I swear to you Eliza, I will do everything in my power to make it up to you. I lost myself for so long and in doing so I caused so many people suffering to bring peace. I can forgive myself for that. But I cannot forgive myself for the pain I have inflicted upon you." His voice was low, and filled to overflowing with a deep sorrow. "They would be so ashamed of me." He mumbled giving her hand a soft squeeze and resting his forehead against the smooth back of her hand. "I beg you to give me a chance to redeem myself in your eyes Eliza. Let me be the man I was raised to be, not the one I became, for you. If I cannot gain your forgiveness in a years time you are free to leave and seek out the happiness you so deserve." Finally lifting his head up to meet her gaze his silvery blue eyes held a lifetimes worth of sorrow and hurt, silently begging her for the forgiveness he could not, and would not give himself.

Back
Top Bottom