Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

New Pact, New Lives (Razgriz x wiki234)

Razgriz

Shall we write beautiful stories together?
Supporter
Deep in the land of Zurith, a massive fortress stood proud and high. Its silhouette blazed against the skyline, making it seem all the more ominous. For it was the main stronghold of the Holy Order, a group dedicated to spreading the word of God and bring all under their banner. Or face divine extermination by the High Priest, a man hell-bent on ridding this world of all those that would defy God.

This order, directed by their despotic chief, started a cleanse of the land, viewing any that did not subscribe to their God as heretics and parasites. This decreed, handed from the High Priest himself, included those labeled heretics even from the villages their 'Holy Knights' are meant to protect. Families were torn and friendships destroyed as executions are carried in public display, sometimes in the dozens by the day, so that all may know that their God is without question the most important and only deity worth worshiping.

However, not only the citizens but any sentient creature that refused to accept his glory were targeted. And even some of those that did, mostly those of hybrid or more slanderously called 'Chimeras', did not fail to incur the Order's wrath. Many of those deemed heretics and parasites and even demons tried to escape persecution, but few succeeded. The combination of the enchanted armor from their Knights and the talent of the Spell-casters at the Order's disposal proved too much for most to handle. The body count grew and grew, the unceremonial funeral pyres sending columns of ash and smoke into the heavens, darkening the skies as the Order pressed on in its divine mission.

There was one, however, that did have measurable success against them: The Iron Wolves, a band of brutal berserker warriors possessing inhuman strength and ferocity that laid waste to many of their camps. But even they sustained heavy losses and without some form of assistance, would too succumb to the same fate. Their chieftain, a hulk of a man dressed in patchwork armor consisting of shards from the Knights he alone felled, knew this all too well and went to a tribe of what his people called 'Fox-Eared', those most commonly known as the Kitsune.

Having struck a deal with a local Kitsune tribe, the odd fox-people would at their backs to provide arcane defense. The battle between the Iron Wolves and the Order raged on for years, the barbarians making noticeably progress towards their stronghold. And as they went on, they also aided other tribes besieged by the Priest-decreed purge, the survivors joining their number and increasing their force strength immeasurably. Soon enough, the newly re-banded Wolves marched on the High Priest's fortress and broke through the line of soldiers surrounding the main fortress. Bodies from both sides littered the killing fields, roughly forged siege weapons pounding the fortress with projectiles and battering rams. Only after a hard-fought battle, the massive force was able to breach the perimeter, capture the High Priest and end him, shattering the Order for good and the surviving remnants fleeing to escape the coming vengeful persecution of themselves.

Three months after their victory over the Order, the Iron Wolves' chieftain declared a tournament: He or she who emerged victorious would carry out their end of the bargain, such was the way of the Wolves. Thankfully, no one else perished; though it was questionable if they would be able to fight again in any measurable time-frame. By the end of it all, it was in fact his sole bodyguard Orgoth who emerged the champion of the Wolves. Per their deal with the Kitsune, their strongest was to be sent to the central village to serve the Queen until such time that they would be able to choose to stay or come rejoin their brothers and sisters.

Orgoth took nothing with him but his weapons - twin longswords that each weighed roughly one hundred pounds and perfect for cutting Order Knight armor - his set of protective guards and the scars of his past. Standing at seven feet and eight inches tall, he was comparable to a giant. His musculature bulged against his iron-hard skin, the numerous healed lacerations evidence of his many months in battle. Like most of his kind, a flick from a meaty finger could shatter even the largest boulder, so great was their strength. The short black hair on his head was mussed and ragged, serving only to enhance his wildman appearance.

Orgoth knew better than to reneg on a deal made by the Chieftain, but that didn't mean he particularly cared for it. A heavy scowl was set on his face as he approached the village boundary, already feeling the eyes of their sentries hiding in the woods burning into his back. And as he took the next few steps, a dark-skinned Kitsune appeared before him, arms crossed and her robe flitting for a moment before staying still. "State your business" she demanded, slitted eyes narrowing. Orgoth's hands tightened on his weapons, "I am Orgoth, warrior of the Iron Wolves, First Guard to Fang the Strong. I am here to give my services to your Queen, as was in the arrangement between our tribes."

Her eyes seemed to glance over his figure, a small smirk on her face as she replied, "Very well, you'll follow me then. I will deliver you to her." And like she was gone, her long legs carrying her like the wind, the massive titan's footfalls thundering as he followed her to the best of his ability.

the divine, the goddess or god....these relative and simple titles given to the one who had sworn themselves to the people to do things for and by the people. In human terms it was the same title as the kings and queens of the other kingdoms she had known or heard about since she was little. Now having the rank herself things have changed very much deep within herself, the land around them, and more importantly the people which she had come to love and loyally rule over. Yumaki the divine goddess, the ruler of her people. It had been passed down through the ages of her royal family being not an ordinary member of their people with just one but nine tails destined pure of blood to rule over their people for centuries.

Yumaki being the new queen was now part of that line of royalty and as everything grew and changed so did her....strict....fearless....only matched by her love of her people caring about them most of the time more than her own safety. Her species were also famously known for their magic as well in comparison to their foes...all a distant memory now...which she was glad for but even the queen had doubts of how long this relative peace would hold with the possibility of another leader of the church in power maybe sooner than she would like to think.

Yumaki sighed in her place on her throne idly thinking to herself as her people went on with their daily lives all around her. It was a larger more decorated hut-like building located at one end of the village the wooden doors in front of the building closed and two guards standing on either side of the door with Yumaki inside alone for now. " I'm expecting...." she remembers now, " him..." Yumaki remembered the bond between their species in war. The iron wolves were the allies of her people at a not so distant time and cost of course still fresh in all of their minds. Sitting up she laid her hands in her lap deciding to wait for a little while to see if those humans did send a champion as a pay to the bargain for helping them.

A distant rumble could be heard approaching the village gates, the two male guards - slender-figured men dressed in light armor covered by yellow and brown plain robes, one having long white hair and the other a medium-length brunette - immediately alert to the presence; before long, their slitted golden hues widened at the encroaching behemoth, readying defensive spells even though it seemed doubtful one would be so foolish as to attack the central village head on. Even more so that the assailant would be alone. "Oi, calm down; that mountain's with me. He's here to see Yumi!" the Kitsune leading Orgoth said to the guards as she landed gracefully in front of them. The guards seemed uneasy, especially once Orgoth himself approached the gates, their gazes telling a slight dread dwelling in them.

"Not bad, barbarian. Not even winded? Impressive for someone your size." the woman smirked, one guard adding "...H-hey, Rihna,I don't think it's wise to anger him" but Orgoth spoke up, his voice baritone and thundering, "She speaks as to what we are. How that is an insult, I do not see. Now if you would be so kind to stand aside, I have business with your Queen." The other guard just nodded, "O-of course, she awaits you in the furthest hut. You can't miss it." And just like that, Orgoth was given a privilege few outsiders could claim to have: He was allowed to not only approach, but enter the main Kitsune homestead himself.

Some of the others, each having their own number of tails - the most four and the fewest one - looked over to Rhina guiding a massive titan through their village towards the Queen's residence. They approached, the two female guards possessing seven tails each, watching patiently before opening the doors inside. "Behave yourself, Wolf." the one to his left warned gently, not too eager to make him enraged but also needing to let him know to tread carefully. Orgoth snorted derisively and continued inside.

Rihna approached the throne and gave a bow, one arm crossed over her chest to her opposite shoulder as she said excitedly, "Your Highness, Divine Goddess Yumaki! I give you Orgoth of the Iron Wolves! Orgoth, please step forward to state your business!" before standing aside to let the brute approach. For a moment, their eyes met before Orgoth declared as he crossed his swords over his massive torso, "I, Orgoth of the Iron Wolves, First Guard to Fang the Strong, have come to honor the pact between us! For your services in dethroning the High Priest, I am at your beck and call! That is my solemn vow!" He then dipped his head slightly as part of his ritualistic greeting, waiting for the Queen to acknowledge his presence.

She closed her eyes for a moment to at least compose herself a bit to even act a bit threatening even for of course her somewhat small stature compared to them. Opening her eyes she could hear the outside chattering as they indeed did honor the vow just with the sign of a monster like him in her presence, though a useful one at that she hoped....slowly she took in the features of one of her guards then to the young warrior mentally comparing their physical differences. Finally turning to look at him before listening to his statement, Yumaki somewhat hoping he would come here to acknowledge that deal made so many months thankfully. She rose to introduce herself fully to him, " I am the divine passed down through blood and the awoken of the nine tails I am Yumaki of the shiriyuki clan...and ruler of my people..."

Slowly she stands, " of course I've been expecting you and I had become worried to tell you the truth that our help was to be in vain...that you would forget about us...you may rise warrior..." she told him as she turned to sit back down.... "orgoth...champion and warrior of the legendary iron wolves...I accept your services to become one with our tribe...of course as you know serving me as my elite guard above all else...accepting your death as a cost to my safety should it ever come to that..." yumaki laid her hand under her chin to think for a moment, " for now though I will want you to regain your strength...there's no telling what could happen at any moment now...." she turned to the guard, "guard...please see that orgoth gets familiar with his surroundings being importantly where he will be staying for his time here...that is all for now..." she added dismissing him with a small smile as she had to think about and plan more important things now.

Orgoth watched the Queen carefully from his bowed head, only raising it when she told him of his acceptance into her elite guard. The stern expression regarded her with stern neutrality; as was his command, he would lay down his life for her as her people had done for his. Though truth be told, only those cursed Holy Knights had dealt such damage to his brothers and sisters, and he was glad to have them gone. "Should any wishing you harm approach, know that I will strike them down without hesitation!" he bellowed, holding his swords out to his sides and unintentionally demonstrating the immensity of his physical stature.

Giving her another, the one named Rihna approached him and giggled, grabbing his arm and trying without success to tug him, "Come on, you behemoth. I'll show you where you'll be sleeping! Not that you'll be getting a lot of it, what with having to watch over our leader and all." Truth be told he wouldn't have to watch her all the time, but he would be spending many hours making sure she didn't get hurt or attacked. Soon he was led to a room: It wasn't much, not compared to the lavishness of the other royal guards. But then, given his reputation, the Iron Wolves rarely dealt in finery except for weapons and armor, only making sure the armor was strong and the weaponry sharp and functional.

"Not bad right? Who knows, maybe you'll be allowed to spruce it up some!" Rihna giggled again, Orgoth replying flatly "The Iron Wolves care little for aesthetics...If it's not too much trouble, where might I find something to eat and drink? The journey was fairly lengthy and I find myself craving a good side of deer and mead." Rihna's expression fell; figures this brute wants to fill his stomach, on their dime no less. But, given what he willingly signed up for, what was the harm? She just hoped that he didn't eat everyone out of house and home!

"We have rice wine, will that be acceptable?" the Kitsune asked, Orgoth grunting "As long as it fills my gut, I'll take anything." Her ears perked up; maybe these noble savages had some class after all! "Well then follow me and we'll get you all set!" Moments later they arrived at the royal dining hall, where no one else sat for the moment. Rihna excused herself to the kitchen to talk to the cook; she re-emerged a few moments later carrying a plate piled high with steamed fish and a bottle of wine. The fish itself fresh-caught striped flyfish, a hearty species known for its gamey flavor and butter-like texture. "No way he'll finish this all, but in case he wants more, this should quell his appetite" she said as she set the plate and bottle down, the brute staring down at the food.

Before she could even begin to wish him a good meal, Orgoth's massive hands seemed to shovel the food down his throat, his iron-hard jaws ripping and mashing the flesh like a super-effective grinder. Loud swallows were interrupted by equally noisy gulps of his downing the wine; and what seemed like no time at all, the plate was completely spotless and the wine bottle bone-dry. A loud and long belch echoed through the hall, the force enough to make the windows rattle a bit. "Thank you for the meal!" Orgoth declared as he shattered the bottle against his forehead, their sign of showing respect for that which prepared the food.

Rihna was just speechless; was this man, this hulking monstrosity, even for real? The alcohol alone should have put him down for a long sleep, let alone devouring that much flyfish! "U...Um, sure! Please, uh, follow me! And don't worry about the glass; a maid will take care of it" Rihna said, leading the hulk out the door, the chair creaking as it was relieved of its burden. The fox-woman showed him about, detailing each area of the village: The market, the public bathhouse, the guardhouses, and the entrance itself. Her tour ended with a small showing of the actual house he would be guarding: He took note of every possible entry point, every breachable wall, anything that could be used to access the royal homestead.

And with that, she was finished, leading Orgoth back to the Queen, bowing before the nine-tailed divinity "Your Grace, I've shown Orgoth everything I can! If it is alright, I would leave him to you!"

As they left she was mostly alone accept for a few guards around the building of course for protection. Even with the end of this war it felt like it was still the beginning like the enemy was just testing them seeing if they were strong enough to defeat what she thought at least their first rise to true power. Even she couldn't hide the fact she was concerned of how long this peace would hold....her tails around her swaying back and forth as she stood up and turned thinking again for just a moment about the warrior himself though the memory soon fading in the back of her mind for now as she decided to walk up to her room and have a view for just a little while...."things won't be as they seem...we should fix that..." she looked out seeing much of the area around them as some dense woods and forests as well as spaces of open untouched ground near the outskirts of the village though from her view could see now that they were much like blind spots she could possibly build a strong defense in.

As Yumaki stared for a moment taking everything carefully, she gave a long sigh turning back to head down back to her main court room as again she sat in her throne as expected. For now Yumaki just sat there with her eyes closed thinking...planning...everything a good ruler should do even at times of a long silence of peace with the past battles still feeling not much of a distant memory as if it felt more like dreams that would become reality which she couldn't accept. " war is eternal...death is our destiny...we will grow stronger through the past,present and future..." she told herself with another deep sigh as her tails were pointed straight for a moment as a small aura of power could be felt through her body seeing as her species were known for magic as well.

Slowly she took a deep breath to calm herself down as her tails went back into a relaxed form as did her mind and body as to not show that she was worried about anything. Ears standing up as she opened her eyes to see that the two had come back. " you can go... for your service both to me and your village, you have my thanks..." she told the women with a smile as she watched her leave, leaving the two together. " and for you..." Yumaki spoke again looking at him, " it's time to see how good you are on your word..." adding to both tease and present a small challenge, " of course this will be easy for you, but I want to see it for myself...there is to be a meeting between a somewhat small kingdom of humans and us between a new stretch of territory recently discovered...we won't fight over it as there is no personal reason other than we have both explored it quite a bit and decided to peacefully for now negotiate it first...it would be helpful for us to be able to expand a bit farther out than what we already have...the negotiations will take place in the human kingdom itself being that the land is located a few miles closer to them than to us.

Orgoth stood there, listening intently as she addressed him and told him of the mission she was about to undertake. So, this was uncontested new land for either side to build on and expand their boundaries. After so much bloodshed, it only made sense for the parties involved to try and discuss who should own how much of this additional territory. The warrior, however, also knew of the human's distrust for the Kitsune. How much they feared their arcane prowess and sharp sensory skills.

As she finished, Orgoth replied as he addressed Yukami in turn, "If you are looking for a negotiator, I am not your best choice. The Iron Wolves might not steal, but we do not concede either. Once we claim a plot, we fight tooth and nail to defened. That is how we establish ourselves as a nation, as a tribe." Of course, it was the honest truth, but the massive male might have misunderstood her intent. He then stated his next words to be both a subtle inquiry and a declaration of his pride, "However, if this mission is to defend you while the negotiations are in progress, know that I will not let any harm befall you. Such is the pact, my life will be given if it means preserving your own."

Standing up a little straighter, he then asked, "When will these negotiations take place?"

" I never said you would do the negotiating....of course I represent them so I will..." not helping to chuckle a bit as he seemed to misunderstand that small fact. " well that's what I will need you for along with my guard to do that, what piece we can even get I'll be wanting you to hold it as a boundary against any attacks..." standing up as well, " the past few days before you arrived we have talked negotiations to set up an arrangement about the talk of the land itself....they'll be expecting us by tommorrow afternoon, late afternoon if we don't make in time. And we have also taken the time to set everything else up for the trip...the only other thing to do was to wait for the agreement of a guard from your tribe of course being you...luckily you have time to rest fully and so does everyone else...we shall leave just a bit after dawn, do a final check and everything else will fall into place..."

So, it was something she'd been planning for some time then, Orgoth thought to himself. A good night's rest was indeed in order, but he would first have to confer with the other guards about when he would be allowed to sleep. If it was anything like how the Wolves operated, there was a dawn watch and a dusk watch, different people assuming those roles every time the sun turned over.

"Very well then. I will discuss with your guards how the rotation operates, if there is one. If there is nothing else, we should prepare for tomorrow." the giant replied, giving her a respectful bow as he made his way to talk with the other Elite Royal Guards.

THE NEXT DAY

The next morning went smoothly, final preparations made and the four best Elite Royal Guards - plus Orgoth - traveled towards the bordering human kingdom. The four Elites - two male, two female - had each eight tails, and were quite powerful in their own right. Each possessed long white hair, creamyand yellow-white robes overlaying plate armor bound by enchanted silk to reduce friction. Orgoth did not know of this kingdom; the Iron Wolves tended to stay in seclusion, only really fighting when it come to defending their territory or their allies.

The travel went without incident and soon they approached the gates to the human kingdom: An enormous slab of iron-bound logs blocked the entryways, and Orgoth had spotted the dozen or so archers sitting in the turrets along the eastern wall they were coming to. Once they neared the gate, two largely guards - dressed in black full plate-armor wielding poleaxes and giant phalanx shields - approached, the one on the left saying "Halt!" The one on the right then asked, "Yumaki, Queen of the Kitsune, is this the barbarian that was chosen to become your fifth guardsman?" Orgoth's hands tightened a little around his massive swords, sensing the potential for conflict.

She sighed and crossed her arms giving him a nod as she watched him go again not going to see each other for a little while now as she had her own things to do for the rest of the day until she slept during the night. As she woke the next day she had gotten changed and was already out talking. With some of the guards and others about the final preparations before seeing orgoth and explaining everything. Soon they headed out on their small quest before arriving finally to the much larger castle compared to their village, though what they lacked in size even their basic warriors would have been able to match or even defeat the humans so easily.

" of course...he is worthy, this warrior has been given to me by an ally that I've sacrificed my kind to in order to stop a monster from the past....let all of us through as I have business, so I demand entry..." today she wasn't about to become someone that anyone would want to mess with more so when it came to the immediate future of her people and claiming new territory.

"Of course, Your Grace; just wanted to be certain, that was all." said the first sentry, stepping back and his partner shouting "Open the gate!" Soon enough, the two sentries stood aside, allowing the troupe passage into the fortress. People scattered about, the familiar sound of the anvil and hammer, the market nearby abuzz with activity from the residents within. It was a walled city, missing only the moat to complete its defenses.

It was here a mousy man with not a strand of hair on his head, his belly somewhat round and covered in a brown tunic over a white undershirt and black leggings, approached them. "Ah, you must be the Kitsune's consulate. I am Sir Heroit, advisor to the King." he said, to which one of her bodyguards replied, "Yes, we're here for an audience with Lord Felis. If you don't mind, our Lord would like to get this underway. Much is at stake, as you know." The advisor nodded, motioning with is head, "Right this way, the table has been prepared. He finds it preferential to treat his guests to a meal before negotiation...Assuming that is alright with you, m'Lady?" That last part was directed at the Queen, hoping she would accept the hospitable offer.

Soon she walks inside as the they follow behind, it has been a lot bigger which she did expect with how they had raised a much more thriving population than their own. But compared to human citizens the kitsunes didn't really care much about luxury of large city streets and high walls as they built and did things that would benefit themselves for survival than anything else....

" I do accept that offer then, of course we've been traveling long to get here and everyone here feels the same a bit hungry and tired of course, in need of something to get their energy up..." she turned to glance at everyone behind her with a small smile seeing the caring expression on her face for everyone in her party, turning back again to follow behind the man and taking all the sights and sounds around her as they passed through one of the many busy parts of the castle.

Sir Heroit nodded and led the group up to the main castle: A fortress within a fortress, as some might call it. A palace of lavish pleasures and trinkets, the banners of this kingdom - a plain crimson background with a white five-pointed star in the middle - flying freely in the wind. Orgoth's stomach rumbled as the scent of food hit his sensitive nose, "The cooks here must be good; my tongue aches for cooked flesh!" One of the other Kitsune, one of the males, laughed at this, replying 'I know how you feel; trail rations work for the moment, but there's nothing like a good fresh-cooked meal to satisfy you!"

Heroit just chuckled, "Well, worry not my friends! We have wine, meats, fruits and breads aplenty! Even for your enormous friend there, m'lady. Rest assured you and your troupe will be taken care of!" Of course, this would likely be a multi-part negotiation, and the advisor was certain there would be some heated tempers even though there was no real animosity between these two kingdoms.

Once inside, they were leading through the massive entryway into the dining hall: A splendor of glossed marble and wood carved immaculately, forming high arches that overhung the massive table: A masterpiece, multi-sectioned leafs extended the brilliant chocolate-colored wood into a setting easy to seat an army. Fine white tapestry covered the length, fresh ceramic plates and shining wares lined the sides evenly. And on that table lay enormous bowls of fruit and candles lit to help ease the strain of the guest's eyes.

"Come, come, my friends! Be seated and indulge!" a voice then declared; a look would reveal a man of medium build in a red tunic with grey undershirt and black leggings, slippers of the same color covering his feet and a red fur cloak covering his shoulders, the back emblazoned with his kingdom's insignia. His bright blue hues were alive with youth and energy, the blond curls atop his head neatly trimmed and face cleanly shaven for his guests. "Ah, yo must be Lady Yumaki, Queen of the Kitsune. I am Lord Felis, King of this fine City. A pleasure to meet your acquaintance." As he approached to give her hand a kiss out of custom, Orgoth let out a snarl and raised the blade in his left hand defensively, teeth bared in defiance. "My, my, I'd heard the Kitsunes had taken a barbarian as a guard...Never had I imagined they would grow so large out there. But, m'Lady, if you'd be so kind to call him off...I mean her no harm, warrior. Please be assured of that."

Continuing to follow inside she looked around as well quietly with her hands down and held in front of her casually. Soon she would see the wondrous sights that had awaited them, a large decorate hall, various paintings and ecorations as well as the grand line of food that was set in front of them. Taking her seat Yumaki leaned back a bit and relaxed for a moment with a sigh as she turned to the voice, " please to meet you as well then..." he replied as he watched him take her hand and kiss it, feeling a little awkward but otherwise not minding it. " well he was a gift from our allies for helping them fight a common enemy just a few years back..." she started to explain for a moment, " our tribes made a deal and worked together, that is the reason he's here with me...he's my newest addition to the elite guard and I think orgoth is perfect for the job..."

Turning to orgoth himself, " don't worry...at least for now..." she simply told him as she laid one hand to her lap and the other on orgoths hand holding the blade as she pushed it down to the table so the blade was laying flat on its side, to tell him not to be set off so easily for now, as she pulled her hand away slowly with both hands on her lap now. " let us proceed already with this long talk, I came here as soon as I could so I can get back as soon as well..."

Orgoth seemed to relax once Yumaki told him to calm down, both weapons now laying with their points now directly aimed at the guard across from him, though this didn't seem to particularly bother her. The Queen's Guard themselves had small knives on their person meant for quick-striking; they could tell his blades were meant to smash and shatter large enemy groups, nothing of the precision style of fighting they used. Still...Such a reckless battle choice had its uses, and his bulk would make sure only those who were deadset on going after Yumaki would even attempt such a suicidal task.

"Yes, yes, but let us all eat a little first. If only to properly greet you into our home." Felis replied, taking his own seat now that everyone was being served. The smells of meats being carved and served by the maids - their outfits simple matte brown frill-less dress garments - accompanied by the clang of the dining wares on china. Orgoth, in particular, had quite the appetite; an entire loin of pork, bone still in, was currently being noisily devoured as his jaws tore into the succulent flesh. Two of the Queen's had slight smirks on their faces, whilst nearly all the others had looks of mild to moderate disgust.

"Uh...Orgoth, was it? Did your setting not have wares?" Felis asked, to which Orgoth paused as a sizable chunk of meat lay seized by his yellowed teeth and looked at the King. Sucking it in and swallowing it down, he then replied "Feh, I do not pretend to tell you how to rule your kingdom. Do not tell me how to eat." At this, one of his guards spoke up, "Maybe out there in the wild you don't have manners, barbarian! But when Lord Felis tells you--" He was soon cut off, however, as his King replied, "Now, now...It's clear that his people operate differently than our own. Just please, good friend...Try not to make a mess." Orgoth snorted and went back to devouring his meal without a care in the world, following the meat with a single downing of the wine in his goblet.

"Now then...Queen Yumaki, how would you feel if I offered you and our kingdoms even portions of the land in question? Half for the Kitsune, half for my own. Seems fair, yes?" he then asked as her troupe and herself ate, deciding to best at least initiate conversation.

She awkwardly watched him only for a moment, even feeling a bit of the same way that he wasn't at least civilized but knowing that when you had to fight all your life there was no time to learn anything even if they were simple. Yumaki sighed and slowly started to eat herself letting the matters change on their own as the king himself addressed her again. " but your missing the simple point though..." she replied seeing how foolish he was not to think it through it seemed to her at least at first for the moment. " sure dividing the land equally is something that's easy to say but your forgetting that what's in the land itself is what matters....how would you call it equal then if one side is say a muddy but rich volcanic land where growing food can help whichever side has it then grow a stronger army and maybe take more land if they wanted to, and the other could be nothing but dirt and a few trees and rocks that could help with an army but those resources will run out faster compared to the land the other side has...of course then I'd suggest we would both send parties to explore but even then...I'd doubt it would be split evenly just like that unless you have a solution to all that..." Yumaki looked over at him with sigh and a small yawn waiting for what his defense would be.

The King smiled, expecting her to reply like that. True, the land was uncontested but neither side really had done a full survey of its resources. Of course, given that wounds were still healing, it was hardly a surprise that many kingdoms had put a hold on expansion plans. "What you say is true, Lady Yumaki, but we also have to consider the size of the kingdoms themselves. To my knowledge, the Kitsune are a smaller number than say...Us." He then raised a hand as to quell anything that might leave her mouth, "However, do not take that to mean that I would leave you with a tree stump or something like that as your claim to the land. We would also need to know the distribution of resources, and for that we would need scouting parties to do ground surveys. And if one side has more resources than the other, particularly ones of value, we could always work out a trade arrangement, could we not?"

Giving a slight cough, he then said, "So, how about I propose this? I will send out a team of my finest surveyors to do a basic work-up of what the land holds. I will even let you decide if their skills would be worthy." Of course, there was always the possibility that the Queen would go herself to verify that everything the surveyors had discovered was true, but the King wouldn't mind that either if that was the case.

"We'll just see...." she simply replied sitting up a bit with crossed arms, no matter how nice he was or seemed Yumaki knew to not trust them very much. She stretched a bit with a yawn as she ate a bit more for the moment before looking up back at him, " of course I'll do just that...I would want everything of course done as fast as you can at least as I have things to do that are a bit more urgent to me compared to you at the moment..." she glanced over at her gauards for a moment before again looking back at him waiting to see if anyrhing else would happen before she would decide to leave already.

She was getting impatient; no doubt whatever services rendered to the barbarians had taken a toll on their numbers and villagers, Felis thought to himself. "Of course...Heroit!" he then called out, the pudgy advisor came immediately to his Lord's side. "Yes, Lord Felis?" he then asked, to which the King replied, "Please send a message to all of our best surveyors, and tell them to come immediately in full gear. It's a matter of the utmost urgency." Heroit nodded and waltzed off, relaying his Majesty's orders via carrier birds.

"It will likely be a few minutes before they arrive, m'Lady. Until then, please let us enjoy ourselves. No need to..." he started to say, before long Orgoth belched once more, silencing everyone in the room with the loud noise. "Thank you for the meal!" the giant shouted, taking an emptied wine bottle and slamming it against his forehead, the glass shattering over all the floor. Felis, his guards and most of the Kitsunes were extremely stupefied, but Orgoth just let out a sigh, "Too much talking. Not enough action. Where are the surveyors?" Felis just seemed a bit uneased by the brute's lack of civility, "They..They'll be here shortly just please..."

At this Heroit returned, escorting a small troop comprised of a dozen people carrying a variety of archaeological and arcane tools. "Ah, see? Here they are..." He paused and then stood to address the new arrivals, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is Queen Yumaki of the Kitsune. Today, she and her guard will be overwatching you as you survey the lands. However, not all of you will be going, as one condition to add is that she may choose those she believes to be the most honest and forthcoming. I trust that those she does select will not withhold anything valuable, yes?"

He then turned again to the Queen, "Whenever you wish, m'Lady, please select those that would do the best work." Naturally, each surveyor was extremely talented in their own right and most looked displeased at the concept of an outsider judging them.

She just watched and waited quietly with crossed arms as with everyone else turning to orgoth, thoug not as outwardly expressing that she too did feel weird about the iron wolves not caring more than fighting it seemed. Yumaki would have to very much to teach him some manners seeing that she accepted him right away into her elite guard than just staying as a battering ram when they were fighting or an immovable object left for defense in the village like a pawn. Turning to look over to the side she would see even more people filing in front of her seeing that it was a rather large group than what she was half expecting but still good enough at least. " well I cannot choose if I do not know what they are the best at of course...everyone has a different way and specialty when it comes to work of course...would you all please introduce yourselves and the skills that you have that would give me a reason to choose you?" Directly pointing the question to the explorers.

" I will make sure my people will get the best out of this to the fullest compared to yours..." glancing at the king for a moment with a bit of determination in her eyes. Even if this was the first time they met and even if they became friends and never fought she wasn't afraid to talk down to anyone or even fight if she had to whether they be the friendliest king of their nation or a foolish tyrant to think they can take everything so easily. " I also just want to address for a moment again my thanks for giving up time to have us here for this important talk..." slowly she turned back to the group again listening to what they had to offer and who she would be choosing.

At her request, the King motioned each surveyor to step forward; naturally, each one had their specialty, but any would be a great addition to have on her team.

The first was a lanky, red-haired man dressed in a leather vest and black undershirt with wool pants and black slip-ons, "M'lady, I am Hervor Ferva. I specialize in rare minerals such as bauxite and mica. Things used for construction and the arts."

The next came forward, a pudgy man with balding grey hair dressed similarly as his colleagues, "M'lady I am Eron Dridas. I specialize in metal deposits. Gold, silver, iron, you name it I can find it.

This went on, each individual introducing themselves and what they specialized in finding. Water tables, ground stability analysis, viable tree growths for plenty of strong wood, and even a natural energy specialist that would probably be quite beneficial for the Kitsune. With this complete, Felis decided to ignore the increasingly selfish-sounding queen and add, "It is no trouble at all, Your Grace. Now, if you would like to get started, please select those that you believe would be the most beneficial for this expedition."

She couldn't help but be a bit impressed, " must say they are good for their work...your lucky to have someone like me to say that..." she joked for a moment as she sat up and stretched, " hmmm...what I'm looking for the most....to the skills I need the most and that fit you please step forward..." she said standing up, " I'll be taking then the men who have the skills of finding natural energy, rare metals, the growth of trees, and finding valuable water sources..." her hands now on her hips with a big grin of excitement... " thank you to all of you for coming on a bit of short notice and I'll be glad to be working with those that are going to be on this trip but to those I did not choose your service are required from me still but just not as urgently as the others I have chosen....I'll be sure to contact you when the time comes...as for the land itself when can we start this project then? Do you need time to prepare anything else?" Yumaki asks letting the king push the project for a bit to at least get it off the ground and have them on the land as quickly as possible so she can begin building based on the various advices given to her by the hired explorers.

Needless to say, not being chosen was a bit of a letdown despite her earlier rudeness; still, it was good to know that Yumaki on some level acknowledged their skill. The four she selected stepped forward, Sir Heroit coming to usher the ones not picked out of the castle. Felis smirked, "Nothing at all, Your Grace. If you and your troupe are satisfied with your meals, you may leave for the site any time you wish." Orgoth looked up a little more clearly, a hambone currently being gnawed between his teeth like a dog.

"Now, I feel it safe to warn that we don't quite know what the wildlife is like out there, so I pray you a safe travel." Felis said, making Orgoth snort "Nothing an Iron Wolf can't handle. I promise that the Queen will be unharmed; those that dare go after her will not be so lucky." The King chuckled, "My, quite the devoted guard you have there, Lady Yumaki. Noble savage applies to him very well."

" then I will take them to the site itself now since we have plenty of time then. Finally she stood up with a small stretch and a yawn as she turned for the doors having her guard and explorers follow behind her out of the hall, " thank you very much..." she replied stopping for a moment hearing his comment, "well I wouldn't really put those two words to describe him, more like someone I can use to help reach my goals..." Yumaki turns around again and starts walking out to still the busy streets as well as the heat of the late afternoon though it wasn't bad. "Now then we have to know how to get to the new land from here, all of you must know this area around the kingdom already...I'll be following behind you if you know the way that is..." throwing the request off to the to her new group.

Once the Queen gave the request to follow them, the men led the way out the door. Felis, the man that had approached the Kitsune about the new plot of land, smiled as the group left. He had a good idea about what exactly inhabited that land, and he was more banking on the Kitsune and that barbarian to clear out any infestation. He was trying to see if the Great Venomous Earthspider, known to the Wolves as the 'Yaui Goa', was moving an axial nest into that region where they wanted to expand. And with its nigh-impervious hide, even for that band of Kitsune it might prove very difficult to kill.

And if the Kitsune were to perish or become incapacitated...Well, that would just fit his expansion plans even more nicely. And the surveyors, while regrettable if lost, could be replaced easily enough. Ironically, he'd chosen this very day because the one surveyor that would have been the most help - the one who specialized in local animal activity - was off on a special assignment.

Within a few hours, the group had arrived at the bordering edge of the land plot: The area went on for miles, plenty of long untouched grass and rolling hills covered in groves. A low wind whistled through, the temperature a nipping cold but not unbearable. Off in the distance in the small valley, a sizable lake could be seen, fish of all colors breaching its surface; evidence that there could be a plethora of rivers feeding it.

Orgoth breathed deeply through his nostrils, muttering contentedly "Smells....Like home." And as much as he wanted to charge into the land, howling in freedom, he knew that his duty was to overwatch the Queen.

Back
Top Bottom