Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A secrete world. |Lagertha x Semper Fi|

Lagertha

Devilishly Wicked
Even in the darkest of days, life had always seemed simple. Save for the Wolkow family, who barely seemed to make it at times. Regina's mother Miriam, worked at sewing factory, and her father Aaron worked in the industrial mines. It was modest work, with modest pay. However the money always seemed to go pretty fast, amongst only two kids as well, but her parents were always overly generous. Throwing parties, hosting get togethers, scrapping what little extra money that had set aside for someone's birthday, even if they weren't blood related.

Despite things being tight, her family did always seem to have an abundance of friends, and they always knew when the Wolkow family needed help the most. Regina had grown up around some of them, but her parents seemed to want to keep the majority of their friends a secrete. What was so special about this small group of friends that her parents always seemed to be withholding information? Still, at a age when the girl had been eleven her mother had spouted a lie, saying the people were not coherent and that was why they could not all live in society like them. Regina never understood, but it made more sense to her then her parents telling her nothing when the people vanished.

Turns out, those three people that used to hang out with them, her parents and family, were something so incredible no one would believe possible. Shapeshifters, ones that turned into wolves. Though, there were often stories told about those types of things that left children afraid of the dark, and the terrible deeds of hunters. The Wolkow's seemed very up to date on all those children stories, and Regina herself had grown up on them, unknowing that her blood shared a common trait that most humans didn't have; the ability to mate with these creatures, bond with them like other shapeshifters. Perhaps that was the best motivator on why the three shapeshifters had stopped coming around the house by the time Regina was twelve, and her older sister was sixteen. Or maybe it was the boy her sister had originally found herself engaged to.

Regina's older sister Hanna had been seventeen, on the verge of her eighteenth birthday, when she had died a terrible death. It had take the police, after a year of speculating it might have been her arranged husbands doing, to dismiss the case altogether. They had deemed it an accidental death that she had fallen down the stairs, and wounded in a mangled mess. Miriam had attempted to hang herself a year after, gripped by grief of losing her oldest daughter. Regina had remembered that day too much, after all she had been the one to find her mother trying to kill herself, and she had been the one to cut her down. Her mother had never been the same after, nor had her father who tried desperately to hide it from her.

Regina's parents judgement had slipped on men, on family's they were fine with marrying to her. In fact, the cost of funerals and medical bills for the family were so expensive, her father had looked to marrying her to a much wealthier family than her own to dig themselves out of dept..and well, that was how Regina had wound up at the age of fifteen engaged to the twenty seven year old man of the Kuba family. The Kuba's were a wealthy lot, and they always seemed to be getting money from the state, from the capital of the city, but the money was always hush hush, even when everyone in town knew they had it all. The family wasn't very silent about showing off the money they were rolling in, and they seemed to know all the other wealthy people in town. So..that had been her father's situation, and idea of how to get out of debt.

Getting to know someone you were arranged to in a matter of days was always the awkward part. What was worse was the way she had to prepare herself to look for him, presentable. Beautiful dresses, long auburn pulled up neatly, perfectly done makeup, acting prime and proper. Regina always got bored with this sort of thing, her sister Hanna had been the one who had enjoyed this sort of thing the most; looking like a proper woman. Regina had always been the one who had preferred to getting dirty, climbing trees, running through the woods, getting messy with arts and crafts. However here she was, standing next the tall broading figure of Walter Kuba as he pointed to the garden in the distance as they walked around the brim of the forest. She supposed the man was good looking, and most women did fawn over him, and she supposed he was speaking interesting things about the garden that his family rested in together...but Regina only nodded her head, pretending to be listening. Though she would catch a word or two if she paid close enough attention.

God help me..he's so boring. Regina though, thin pale arms covered by mauve sleeves behind her back, her hands were wrapped in thin mauve gloves, a small matching hat on top of her head. She felt like she looked like her sister, Hanna, in such a manner, a proper woman. Hanna had been blond and blue eyed, I'm brown with green eyes. Regina muttered in her head, strolling next to Walter. His lips were still moving, incoherent to her, as he continued his rant about something or another of the government money they got. She didn't care anymore, the man repeated himself, and walked around like he was some sort of God who deemed people worthy or not.

"Regina? Are you even listening to me?" Walter stopped gripping her hand and forcing the small girl of 4'11 to stop, turning to look towards the man who only stood around 5'8 in the eyes confused.

"Pardon?" Regina asked. "Of course I'm listening Walter, I'm always listening." Regina exclaimed, but Walter seemed unamused.

"And what did I say?" Walter crossed his arms over his chest, his large family had set up in the center of the park enjoying a good time. Dogs ran, things that seemed more menacing then pets, and twice her size, ate raw meat as if being trained to kill. The Kuba's had bought out the park for the day, or rather they owned the rights to the park whenever they wanted, and they had decided to use it for the week while Walter and the young Regina had gotten to know one another. The park was surrounded by the wilderness, and the two had been walking on just the edge of it. Though, Regina had never been frightened of the forest, of the dark like Walter seemed to be.

"Something about the park and your pay." Regina looked at him unamused. She had only known him for a day or so, and she already knew he was so full of himself that she could slit her wrists next to him and he wouldn't even notice. The man had never asked her a single thing, besides if she was listening and what he said.

"Not entirely." Walter seemed annoyed, noting she hadn't been listening to him. "Don't worry about it, we'll get you some proper lessons about manners when a man's speaking." Walter smiled at that, the man was almost as Regina herself, though Regina was so delicate that she couldn't go out in the sun very long. Perhaps that was why she had never been afraid of the dark, the dark had always shrouded her from being burned by the sun.

"Of course." Regina knew better then to question what Walter wanted. Her father Aaron had made it very apparent he couldn't keep asking friends and family for money and help with her mother, who had legally gone insane since her sister Hanna's strange death. Though it had been strange, until the same boy had wound up in jail for killing another woman he was betrothed to only a few months ago. Turns out the boy had been killing people, staging their deaths to look like horrific accidents since he was seven. How strange, her sister could have lived had the police been wise enough to look into the boy. Then again, Regina couldn't blame anything on anyone, she had came to the understanding that he probably would have gotten away with it had her parents not put up a fight saying Hanna never was careless and it couldn't be an accident. At least the death sentence hung over his head now.

"Regina!" Regina snapped her head up to Walter, she had been looking at her feet while standing there. "You aren't listening again!" Walter really hated that, not having all the attention on himself. Regina did as much as she could to give him the attention he needed, but she could only do so much.

"Apologies dear Walter, what a silly thing of me not to listen to a great man like you. " She had gotten used to lying through her teeth to him and his family. Her father had called it the right thing to do, but Regina only felt dirty being dressed like this, talking like this. "You know something Walter..." Regina looked away from him, at the trees in the forest, she wished she could rip off the dress and run through it. "I'm going to be sixteen in two days, our wedding is in three." Regina had been counting down the days of 'selling her soul' to the devil so to speak, but it was for the greater good. After all, the Kuba family had been helping her father and mother out since the engagement.

"Oh? That's quite interesting." As Regina expected, Walter seemed less than enthusiastic about her announcement. He seemed to be looking at his pocket watch, as though timing someone's arrival. Regina watched him, his hand on his hip showing the revolver he had there. She had gotten used to it, apparently everyone in his family carried a gun around, even the women. "Shall we continue our walk?" Regina nodded, though not happy she had to still walk around with such a boring proper man. "Good." Walter started walking and Regina sighed, following suit next to him as he continued to talk.​

Shapeshifters had mostly secluded themselves from human society. They had no need to mingle anymore. Their bloodlines had been strong for several centuries now, in fact it had been close to two hundred years since a wolf had been bonded to a human. There were enough wolves that they were finding their bond mate within their pack or a neighboring pack. Demitri's pack, like most others, lived in their own town in the middle of no where, 40 miles from the nearest human town. They were completely self sufficient. Sure humans came every now and then, usually passing through, and to their untrained eye, it looked like any other small town, only about 100 members of the town, they each had a human job, no one knew that any one of them could turn into a giant wolf at whim.

Demitri Blake was nearly his 60th birthday, though physically he looked no more than 28. Wolves aged slower than humans, Demitri could expect to live close to 400 years. He stood at 6'1 a muscular build, but certainly not bulky, just a tough of lean. He had dark chocolate colored hair that when loose would just skim his jaw, but it was always kept tied back. He had eyes such as dark brown they were nearly black. Currently he was in his wolf form, which meant that his mind was pushed back, letting his wolf side take over. Essentially, they were two minds, occupying the same body, in human form, Demitri was in control, in wolf form, Zev, the wolf, was in charge. The two could communicate and often had to make decisions together, as they were almost constantly fighting for dominance. Males often fought with their wolf, while females had a easier relationship. Demitri was the lead warrior and Beta of his pack. Currently They were sparring with Delaney, his second in command. She was his best friend, they'd grown up together, since birth.

The wolves leaped and wrestled, wolves could be anywhere from 3-5 feet tall at the shoulder and weigh 200 to 400 pounds. At one time humans and wolves lived in peace together, the shifters defended the humans and kept them safe, and in return the humans let them live their lives. But that relationship ended, and now, there were human hunters who lived to hunt shifters down and kill them. That was what happened to Delaney's bond mate, and now she would be forever alone. Wolves only had one bond mate, and once they found that person, they lost all interest in anyone else. Even though her mate was dead, she would never take another mate and wouldn't even seek the companionship of another male.

The wolves playfully fought until Zev, a 350 pound, solid black wolf, pinned the smaller red wolf to the ground. Teeth skimming her throat, a clear victory. She surrendered and Zev backed off, silver eyes gleaming playfully. She stood and shook. They both shifted at the same time. "One of these days, I'll win," She grinned, her sleek black hair braided, blue eyes sparkling. "There's a reason you ae my second, not the other way around," He smirked, throwing an arm around her shoulders as they walked back. It please Demitri to see Danny so happy, after the death of her mate, she'd gone feral, loosing all human parts of her, her wolf held all control. It had taken Demitri nearly a year to hunt her down, and just as long to convince her human side to come back, despite the pain.

"I'm thinking about going after a hunter, you in?" He asked as they walked back into town. "Of course I am," She said. It didn't matter that the hunter who had killed Ethan was long dead, she still held a grudge against all hunters. Demitri nodded, "Good, I'll collect a couple more fighters, we'll plan on going in a day or two." He said as they parted, going their separate ways for the time being.

She couldn't tell when exactly Walter had decided to stop roaming around the park with her talking about himself and take her home, but she had wound up here. Dark steps below her black shoes, Walter below on the sidewalk smiling at her and gripping his gun like he was ready to draw it. Regina only stared at the man oddly, like daring him to draw the weapon on her, as if him shooting and killing her might be a blessing in disguise.

"I'm not Hanna Walter, sorry to disappoint you." Regina stated, lips pursed in an annoyed fashion. Finally, after hours of listening to him rant and rave he wanted her to speak again, though he wasn't quite expecting such a phrase of words.

"There are a million girls around here that would die to be in your position Regina, to be my wife." Walter was in his cocky stance, per usual. He seemed amused with the entirety of the conversation. "Besides, you won't have much say of the matters. Your family needs my wealth, and you are in no position to reject."

"Oh you mistake me dear Walter. I'm not rejecting, I'm warning you I'm not like my sister. My sister would easily bend a knee, play the perfect wife part...However I.." Regina smiled softly, she could hear the footsteps of her father behind her. "...I am not afraid of any of your death threats. If you really want to shot me, then shot me. You've been holding onto that gun closely all day." Regina ended it at that point, watching Walter open his mouth only to close it as Regina's father swung open the door.

"Oh Walter, good to see you!" Her father's eyes were sunk into his face, almost lifeless, Aaron was. Though he was more full of life then her mother Miriam was anymore, and he smiled genuinely as he shook hands with Walter.

Regina ignored the two of them, stepping inside and pulling off her hat to look around the old wooden house. It didn't look the same anymore, not since her sister died, not since Regina would soon be getting married and was getting older. There was no plants, no flowers, all the curtains were drawn to keep the place quite dark. Despite the brilliant color of the velvet walls, it was depressing. Still, Regina knew this place was home, and she sat her had on the little side table next to the door before going down the hall and taking a right. She saw her mother than, a plump woman, ghastly colored skin, bags under her eyes, and ever graying hair. Miriam was only in her forties, but she looked to be about sixty. She was laying down, in a thin white night gown when she spotted Regina.

"Mother." Regina raised a hand, waving as she stood in the doorway. Miriam moved, her hair a wild mane, sitting up as she smiled with her almost rotting teeth. The woman refused to brush them anymore, and had bit her husband a few times when he had tried. "Can I get you anything?"

"Hanna?" Miriam called looking through her as Regina stepped forward. "Where is Hanna?" Regina shrugged her shoulders sighing.

"Dead. Burred eight feet under. Rotting and twisting with maggots in her eyes." Regina had never been the gentlest with wording, especially when agitated. She often hated this, her mother always looking for Hanna and refusing to look at her.

"Hanna went to the market didn't she? When will she be back?" Not even the harshest phrasing split through her mother's twisted imagination anymore.

"Would you like to visit her grave tomorrow? I'll walk you there if you let me give you the medicine the good doctor prescribed. Will you let me brush your teeth as well?" Miriam looked up at Regina, as the small thing stood in front of her. Aaron would barely go near Miriam anymore, and Walter had hired a few nurses from the hospital to help watch after Miriam when the doctor wasn't around.

"Yes. Take me to Hanna. I'll do what you want." At least her mother would comply with her, for the most part. Regina did have several scares on her arms from her mother biting her. Though thankfully the dresses she wore covered them.

Regina did just that, grabbed her mother a glass of water, her pills, watched her take them before brushing her mother's teeth and hair. She had taken her mother into her bedroom, putting her asleep before undressing herself and climbing into bed. Exhausting. Life like this felt exhausting, and trying not to strangle Walter was getting really annoying.​

Back
Top Bottom