Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Labels

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
How do you label yourself? When meeting new people, how do you identify yourself?

Or are you someone who doesn't use labels at all? Why or why not?

I use the 'nerd' or 'dork' label. It pretty much lets people know what I'm into. Best of all, it tends to do one of two things: 1.) It turns people who I clearly don't have anything in common with around almost immediately or 2.) We click in some way almost instantly and we can skip tip toeing around until one of us feels confident enough to admit they like something considered 'nerdy'.

I don't often use labels to describe myself. The label that my husband has given me is that I'm a human cactus. He says I'm pretty prickly but there is some good on the inside if you know how to get past the thorns.

I don't use labels either unless I can't explain it any other way (and I have to explain it lol).

I use labels because they are pretty convenient when it comes to shorthand revealing things to people in casual conversation and small talk.

I identify as an artist and a writer, not only to let people know what I do for a living but to also let them know what I am passionate about.

I identify as asexual or celibate, to firmly shut down conversations inquiring about my love life or dating. Despite a high libido and frequent masturbation, I keep my own company and prefer it that way. Until there is a void where companionship is necessary for my happiness or I find someone who also has high interest in sex in theory but not in practice then I will rebuff all advances.

I identify as fat to describe myself physically. I am not extremely overweight but could do to lose a tire from my ass if so inclined.

I identify as an alcoholic. Been in steady recovery since January, although fighting for sobriety for years. It is awkward and feels rude to hedge around it when drinks are offered or available, so, I just go ahead and lay it out so folks know.

I identify as a woman in real life but as genderless or gender fluid online.

The only labels I shirk are political or ideological. I don't agree with anyone 100% and I would rather talk in depth about issues on a person to person basis than accidentally ally myself with people who are part of a group but act poorly, thus painting the entire rest of the group with this impression. I don't want to be forced to defend my label whether I agree or not especially on issues that I'm not in agreement with. Any of the well-known labels that make it convenient to make an impression in people's minds I have divided issues and agreements with. So, looking for the specific outlier group that I fit into and using that in conversation would force me to explain each issue individually and what I do and don't agree with. So, I'll skip that and we'll just talk issues.

Same with religion. I identify as Christian.

There's a few labels I associate with myself; but only one consistently and that's bibliophile. No more need be said.

I'm one who tends to shy away from labels, and can get an instinctual, averse reaction to people using certain labels to describe themselves. For me, it's because they can place individuals, either in their own perception, or others, into a little box, and people are more complex than that.

If I ever do use labels, they tend to be along the lines of independent, or individualist. I can be various things at various times, and separate that which I do/like/am from the entirety of 'me'; ie, I enjoy this, but not that I am this. However, some, such as me stating than I'm an Atheist, or male, I see as simply either/or objective statements of fact, and differentiate between those and more subjective, fluid labels.

Aside from identification labels, most labels can have a negative connotation so I shy away from using them. I'm pretty much an open book; you can tell a lot about me after a few minutes of conversation so I don't have to resort to using labels that could dissuade people from seeing the real me.

Plus, I prefer a conversation that flows naturally after pleasantries. I don't want to say "Hi! I'm a liberal!" and forcefully steer a conversation to politics. I prefer to keep the information till it is broached.

Labels are often adjectives. I do use them.

I think labels can be just as empowering as they are degrading. You just have to use them properly and with good intention, not malice.

I do call myself a writer and an artist. I cal myself a feminist and an egalitarian. I'm agnostic, but also very spiritual. I consider myself a victim and a survivor; a sufferer and a combatant.

Those are all labels. I guess it depends on the label. I try to avoid labelling my RL sexuality because it's private and personal and also so happens to be very fluid. So it's difficult to describe. But I do embrace labels.

Back
Top Bottom