Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Lunetta & Edward Thatch) Matchmaking of a Dragon

He leaned into her a little further and sigh, “Such a shame. I believe you would have been the crowning jewel, the most beautiful thing there to put all the rest to shame. But as you would have it. At least let me walk you home.” He smoothly stood and offered her his hand.

Adeline couldn't help but chuckle softly, "I sincerely doubt it... but thank you." She help but think the worse of this exchange, was he interested because she was a human female? It wasn't easy to tell, he seemed genuine, perhaps craved companionship and was feeling lonely. They had only just met, and she had a feeling if she agreed to go with him, things wouldn't end very modestly... The thought made the brunette's heart race a bit, but she took his hand, agreeing with his offer to walk her home.

She stood up, "Thank you so very much," she replied appreciatively. The fact he paid for their dinner without hesitation didn't go unnoticed to her. She enjoyed the time, hoped to see more of him, and hoped he wouldn't take her decline with offense. Adeline wanted to make it up to him with the hopes of finding someone for him. While she was in the business of matchmaking, relationships never seemed to go very well for her, one of the reasons she kept herself rather guarded from getting too close.

The night was lovely, comfortable in temperature, the stars littered the dark sky. "Where exactly do you reside?"

He smiled at her and said, “Of all the gems I have none could ever compare to you. I swear it to you on dragon's honor.” There was a sad look in his eye. He'd tried to socialize with the humans he protected and loved. Tried to make friends of them and offer his hospitality. Every few decades he'd come down and try. All to rarely he'd find one to share some of his time and enjoyments and pleasures with him, but all to often it was like today. They were polite but distant. He knew it would be another several decades before he returned again. He wanted companionship and at the very least friendship, perhaps more later. But humans were just to wary of their “protector”. He shook his head to himself.

He laid a couple more gold coins on the table and told the tavern owner drinks were on him till that was used up. Taking her hand he walked her home but did not say a word. There was a pervasive air of sadness about him now. When they reached her door and she asked where exactly he lived he smiled, at least the corners of his lips twisted. “I never tell anyone where I live. Cuts down on the treasure hunters and those who want to make their name by slaying a dragon. They can't reach it anyway, but it would still be a hassle. No, either I take a person there or they never know where it is. I'm sorry.”

Standing there with her at her door he looked at her for a long moment and seemed to pull a diamond from his skin. “We Gold Dragons can cast a luck spell on a gem that last a week. This one still has six days. It was lucky enough for me. I met you.” He began to lean in for a kiss but then stopped himself. “I'm sorry. I should not presume. Good bye Adeline.” There was a definite sound of finality in his voice. His wings grew from his back and he stepped back to prepare to take off. He looked at her again for a long few minutes. As though trying to memorize this moment, fix it perfectly in his memory forever.

It wasn't Adeline's first time ever hearing such floral words from a man. Some were exceptionally creative, it simply blew her away... he had been like that, that's what had made her fall for him in the first place. It was essentially what burned here severely in the end too. Little did she know of Ansgar's intentions, she only assumed, a natural process. She had only met the fellow today, and while he was an individual known by some of the town's citizens, she didn't know him very well, other than what was exchanged today.

Her hand took his, amazed and thrilled at their warmth that they warded off the night air. There was no denying he seemed to feel sad about her request, but she was firm on it. If he respected her, he would respect her decision. She smiled slightly, "Were you intending on blindfolding me to your home?" Adeline teased a bit, otherwise she would've been able to see where he lives. It was no qualm with her that he hid his home, even if she was curious.

They finally made their way to her mistress' home. She turned to Ansgar, lips parted to speak but he beat her to it. He presented the diamond, amazed at the sight of something so precious, something she hasn't been fortunate enough to witness until tonight. "Ansgar wait," Adeline grabbed his hand. "Don't look so forlorn, I will see you again, won't I?"

He grinned at her resignedly. “No, Adeline, no blindfolding. But unless you were a flying creature yourself you would never be able to remember the way.” Wearing a sad smile he looked around and threw his arm out to indicate the entire village and valley. “You know, Adeline, for a 1000 years I have been a silent watcher, protector and guardian to all you could see even riding high on my back. But to so many here I am just a myth, a legend. A pleasant story to tell the young ones to help them sleep well. Most of these people do not even believe I exist. Not really. That is fine and well. I do not want to disrupt their lives or cause upheaval or panic. That would violate the oath I swore to my first mate. To always watch after her family and people. Her nephews and nieces and their descendants.” He shook his head with long held memories.

He looked at her again for a long moment and said, “It can be lonesome keeping watch up there. Yes, it is true that time does move differently for one as long lived as I am, but it still can drag on. Every few decades, despite myself I make the journey down here. Sometimes I find a friend or a companion and on very rare occasion even a mate. Other times I return to my cave alone and wait and watch for a few more decades.” Looking her directly in the eye. “So no, Adeline, if I leave here alone this night you will likely never see me again unless it is as an old crone or you are heartier than you look and luckier than any human has a right to be and can find a place close to my cave where I can sense you.” He smiled the warmest smile he had, but a smile that still held sadness and longing in it. “I have thoroughly enjoyed your company and conversation, Adeline. Have peace and a long life and know I will always be watching over you.”

Adeline gazed at him quietly, the thought running through her mind of how aged Ansgar was compared to her. Her life was a tiny sliver compared to his and the experience he's been through. She wondered if he was immortal, or simply that he aged longer than humans. It was then she wondered if he had children, but it seemed to not be the case. His life must be lonely, and she suddenly felt guilty over not agreeing to visit his horde. Her eyes dropped a bit, registering what he said. This is it? He was only spending a day in the village after decades of isolation? It seemed very wrong, almost like a punishment to himself. Was that what his life was bound by? Small, fleeting moments like this with some contact before he was holed up in... wherever his home was?

"Ansgar... this can't be it," she began, looking up at him, brows knitted. "You only just arrived, no? How could you be leaving already?" She shifted a bit on her feet, crossing her arms. She made sure to keep her voice low, not wanting to disturb her mistress... or let her eavesdrop on their conversation.

He took her hands and pulled her back out onto the abandoned village square and sat them down on the side of the fountain. “Adeline, I have lived a long long life. I have out lived all my children.” Holding up his hand before she could speak. “They were all half breeds and so had a fraction of the life span I have. I have buried many mates. Occasionally my loneliness gets to me and I make a trip to town. Sometimes if I am lucky I can find find a friend to pass some time with. Occasionally a companion to share some adventures with and one a very rare occasion a new mate. But I am a very quick judge of character and there is only one here who could possibly interest me. I would stay if that one asked me to but otherwise it is time to go back to my watch to continue to protect my people.” He looked at her with a depth of meaning that was impossible to miss. Yet he remained silent and let his words sink in and was genuinely curious what her reaction would be.

She allowed him to bring her to the center fountain that decorated the square, sitting beside him. He somehow knew her thoughts, answered her question without her even asking. Adeline couldn't imagine the overwhelming sadness he felt at losing the ones he loved time after time. Did it get easier? The young woman felt torn. She didn't want to be selfish, especially after he explained that staying would possibly be him shirking his promise to his first mate and the protection of the village. "Ansgar..." she began finally looking up at him. "I wish for you to stay, spend some time in the village... you deserve to be happy, even if it's for a little while," Adeline added, offering him a smile. "Will you?" she asked, hopeful.

He smiled at her, it was like a sunstone shining after being hidden under ground for centuries. “Yes, Adeline, for you I will stay.” He stood them back up and walked her back to her mistress' door. He ran his fingers through the hair at her temples. “Adeline, I want to ask a favor and please feel free to say no, but I hope you won't.” Taking a deep breath, “May give you a kiss goodnight, Adeline?”

Adeline couldn't resist smiling at him in return, his was positively infectious. "That makes me happy," she insisted, truly feeling with incredible elation. She was already thinking about what they may do together, the women he would introduce him to so he could find some semblance of happiness, even if for a short while. She stood before her door way, prepared to say good night but quite surprised by his request. Her cheeks instantly heated up, had it been day time they would have easily been seen. "Oh, why... yes that'd be alright," Adeline mentioned, feeling sheepish. "You may."

He took her in his arms and allowed his wings to wrap around them and kissed her, thoroughly. A kiss that left no mistaking the fact she had been kissed, well. A kiss that she felt down to the heels of her boots and by which every other kiss in her life would be measured. He gave her her a kiss that made a promise and begged a question. When finally he broke the kiss he still held her in his arms with wings wrapped around them and looked down into her eyes and said simply, “Thank you”.

Adeline immediately felt the warmth of his embrace, subconsciously feeling a shiver course down her spine at the contact. It felt like when one immersed themselves in a bath after a chilling day, it was near scorching but in a pleasant way. She felt her heart race, thud against her chest, her eyes fluttered close on instinct. His lips had met hers, they were touching. She couldn't resist leaning in a bit, returning his kiss with equal parts tenderness and some sort of longing.

Before she knew it, it was over. Her cheeks felt warm, her eyes misty as she stared at Ansgar, "Y-you're welcome," she managed to squeak. "That was... lovely." Did she honestly say that? It made her feel like a twit! "I will see you tomorrow?"

He looked at her and winked and said in a husky voice. “Tomorrow in the tavern common room. As to the kiss? Just remember, anytime at all. Anytime at all.” He bowed deeply to her and waited for her to enter her mistress' home to see that she had in fact gotten home completely safely. He smiled to himself and started humming a merry tune as he turned to the tavern to secure a room for the night.

He next morning he could be found in the common room of the tavern have rounds and telling stories with the locals. He had decided in the night to see if her mistress would push her fully into this assignment or release her completely from her duties to spend time with him while he choose to be in town. So he decided to sit there and wait and see when, if she'd come to him.

Adeline could hardly quell the giddiness in her heart once she returned inside. Even to sleep that night had been quite the feat, she simply couldn't stop thinking of the encounter she shared with Ansgar, and only hoped to be able to see him again. When she awoke, realizing that the meeting had not been a dream, she merrily went about her day, anticipating the end of her duties so that she may meet with him. She aided here mistress in writing up reports for a new client, already looking through their archives of eligible partners.

It was tedious work, but around midday she seemed to have finished. "Go on, if I need anything of you I will let you know," Madame Lauvre informed. Adeline bowed graciously before she hurried off into the street, making her way towards the tavern. Upon entering, she was greeted by the sight of Ansgar, much to her relief. "Ansgar," she greeted with a warm mirth.

All morning he had been telling stories from the earliest days of the village and the first family, leaving any mention of his then mate out of course, his stories ranged all the way from the start of the village to his last visit a few decades ago. The villagers were only too happy to fill him in on all the rest. He was pleased at something and clearly upset at others. The villagers fell all over themselves trying to buy him a drink but he kept the gold on the bar to pay for all the drinks.

After a long while and he was starting to wonder if she had gotten cold feet or he had completely misread her. Then like a ray of sunshine in a dark and dreary day she was in the doorway of the tavern. He was so enraptured that he completely and immediately forgot his companions and moved over to her and embraced her. He placed a light kiss on her lips, like a brother or dear dear friend might, but she could feel the fire under that kiss.

He sighed and let his eyes feast on her from head to foot. He did not take pains to hide his perusal or his pleasure in her look. Rather he smiled and sad, “marvelous”. Remembering himself he asked, “Have you eaten yet, Adeline? Would you like something? A meal or snack or something to drink? The owner has most graciously offered me the use of the private dinning room, you care to join me.” He looked at her and could not help himself and leaned in for another light kiss.

Back
Top Bottom