Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Burned and Blackened Blood (G23 & loneiysong)

He laughed.

Beth's eyes flashed toward him.

"She did it. And well. but also made a mistake many young Dragons do."

He took a spoon and held it beneath his nose, breathed just once and it became red hot. He pressed it to Tirana's arm. Both Rowena and Beth called out in alarm but the spoon had no effect.

He removed it to reveal that no only was there no scar or burn, but also that the heat in the metal had been removed as well. "We absorb heat Tirana. And are immune to any harm from it. Especially within. Our inner temperatures are many times that of our external heats. Including the flames we produce."

Rowena's eyes narrowed. "I still don't like you overheating my silver, or trying to burn my granddaughter."

He chuckled. "Yes Great mother."

he tossed the spoon to her. it bounced and she caught it deftly, amazed that it was ice cold now. And polished beyond belief. She stared at it. "How...?"

"True silver purifies under immense heat." He gestured at Tirana. "I'd have her test out all your silver. And other precious metals. Good way to work on her control, and she needs the practice."

Rowena blinked, then looked at Tirana. "You know sweety I am so very proud of you...but I don't think i will ever grasp all of the amazing things you can do now."

Nabaz chuckled. "Forgive me Great Mother, but even i know for a fact i haven't grasped everything about myself. Just this morning I learned that sniffing peachfluff will clean out my sinuses and make pink flames."

Beth looked up. "Pink?"

Rowena cocked her head. "Why is that odd? Flames are flames."

He smirked and flicked his thumb at Tirana. "She does or will blow purple flames."

Beth's eyes widened. "She does not....Tirana that's amazing!!" She then looked at him. "What about your's?"

He turned, spotted a lantern, then whistled. As he did a jet of flame black and darker than midnight shot out, seeming to darken the whole day even in that instant, as it lit the lantern. The wick burned invisibly for a moment, then was the normal golden orange of fire.

Rowena and Beth stared, then Beth turned to look at the table. "Gramma do we have any peachfluff?"

He shook his head. "No. but I do."

He took a pinch and sniffed it, closed his eyes, then blew out a breath. His flames were bright hot pink.

Beth giggled and clapped, then looked at Tirana. "Dragons are so awesome."

Nabaz winked at Tirana. "You have no idea."

She blushed as her grandmother and cousin immediately leapt to her defense. She then looked at them both and then cleared her throat. "He honestly meant no harm you two." SHe blushed and raised her hands and then sighed as they both immediately went back to their good graces and were awed by the powers of the Dragon and sat back and shook her head watching him with a wide smile.

She laughed as Beth was in constant wonder of Dragons. Even though Tirana herself tried to tell Beth the wonder of Dragons, she guessed that stories coming from a true Dragon was just different.

When Nabaz winked at Tirana she shook her head and without meaning to her dragon spoke to his dragon telepathically "Your such a tease master"

His eyes dancing. Perhaps a little bit.

He nodded toward the girl, then continued the silent conversation, You know the real issue is just that you don't have the years or knowledge to tell her what she wants to know yet. But you will. This is only your first day. As a true Dragon. His eyes danced again. You have never been anything but a true Dragon. And yes i read your doubt in your mind. A Souled is not a Little Dragon. or less of a Dragon. They are Dragons born in other bodies. Now you have realized yourself. Never forget that.

He looked at Beth. "Anything else you want to know?"

She sighed and then nodded gently leaning back and stroked Beth's hair back gently. She then took in a deep breath and then looked at his master as his eyes danced. She then nodded so subtly that he would only catch it and then sighed very gently.

"Thank you for coming to aide me." She whispered into his mind.

She looked at Beth and then stroked her back.

Beth grinned. "How big are you both in...uh..."

"Scaled form?"

Beth nodded.

He considered carefully, studying Tirana. "Well we haven't measured her yet, but your cousin would be at least the length of a full carriage and a team of horses. Few feet on either end, tail and neck. Her wings are a little small for now, about the same distance. Sound about right to you Tirana?"

Beth looked at her cousin, then her eyes widened. "Wait a minute... How big are you?"

"My wingspan is more than three hundred and fifty yards. And that was when I was measured ....a long time ago. i stand fifty feet tall at the hips and shoulders at least. ....my form would not fight within all of this tent."

Beth stared at him, then looked at Tirana. "he's kidding right?"

Rowena leaned forward very curious about this as well.

She then thought and rubbed her own chin and nodded. "Yea that sounds about right. I wasn't focused on my size when I last changed to be honest." She laughed softly and shrugged sadly. When he spoke of how large he was Tirana laughed and shook her head. "No, in fact I think he is a bit larger than that. He is quite the beast." She winked to him and laughed.

Beth's eyes widened. "Can i see?"

nabaz considered, then shrugged looking to Rowena.

She nodded. "Why not.. how much space do you need?"

he stood and helped all three ladies to their feet and into a carriage, and drew them out to the empty plain north of the festival grounds.

he studied the area, then walked more than a mile away.

Beth started to speak but Rowena held up her hand.

Nabaz stripped off his robe, spread his legs and fell forward onto his hands. or tried to. As he did so his body sprouted in black scales. When he had finished growing, his face was only a few dozen feet away from the carriage. The horses huffed. They could easily run beneath and between his legs.

He bowed to them and smiled. "Does this answer your question?"

beth nodded, her jaw hanging open.

Tirana smiled and got up and went with them. She sat in the carriage and then looked around and when they were ready she got out. She held Nabaz's robe respectfully and folded it and watched him. She wanted to turn dragon but had promised she would not turn until she was more trained. But she really wanted to.

She watched him and moved over as if in a trance and put her hand on his scaled fore leg and then she gently bowed to him showing her true allegience to this form as well and sighed and then looked to him.

He smiled down at her, and leaned in. His fangs were longer than even the horses were tall, but the tips were still sharp beyond consideration. He nuzzled her very gently. "You may shift if you wish little one. I will give you leave to do so now in safety. But you should know first."

His wing came down and the tip, soft as old leather, gently turned her. Her parents and aunts and uncles had joined her grandmother. Her brothers were nearby as well, looking weak, pale and bleary, but clearly impressed by the Dragon before them.

The people were starting to take note as well.

He rumbled softly and everyone took a step back, revealing that they had not heard the first.

"Tirana as in so many things the decision is yours. i would welcome the chance to see your truth again. Perhaps even fly a little bit if you are up to it. I feel you can safely do so here. But do so only if you are certain. i will not have you risking your life. It is far too precious."

She stepped forward and raised her hands and stroked his jaw reverently. When he turned her, she saw her family. But when the option was given her dragon barely gave her time to back up. She soon turned into her purple form and let out a long soft sigh of pleasure much alike to someone stretching their muscles.

Stretching out her wings she gave them both a few soft stretches and gently folded them back. She then went to Ana as and lowered her head again in supplication to him as her tail was raised slightly off the ground.

He smiled and slowly blew flames out over her face and body.

Her family, minus seven specific voices, cried out in alarm, but the flames washed over her without harm.

He studied her and raised a wing, then held it above her. It threw her entire body into shadow. His head alone was larger than her entire form.

Beth called out. "Can I touch her!?"

Nabaz chuckled as he easily set himself, then lay down studying her and her family. Then he spoke aloud. "Of course you can Princess."

Beth dragged Rowena forward. And now the scale truly came home. Rowena was not a small woman. Nor huge. But very well formed, fit, especially for her age, and still tall. But her Dragon granddaughter towered over her already. And Beth was positively tiny compared to Tirana.

They did look at the massively relaxed Nabaz, and both shuddered. His size was beyond description.

They turned back to Tirana, and Rowena stroked the purple scales of the neck, while Beth hopped, trying to see over Tirana's back, unable. Rowena continued to touch, then looked up at Tirana's face, but still avoiding her eyes. "Marvelous...simply...amazing. I never...You.... Tirana you are beautiful. Even more than i could have guessed." She was crying in wonder

Her children, minus Tirana's father, came forward as well. Their children waited in the carriage.

Tirana's uncles were marveling at her tail, save for Marcus, while her aunts had forgotten their fight and were very gingerly, and not touching her, were studying Tirana's wings in awe. Marcus marched up to his niece, bowed, and carefully not looking at her eyes spoke softly. "We welcome you Lady of the Skies."

Nabaz was smiling, his face turned to watch the family, his two inner eyelids closed, one a clear membrane for flight and swimming and such, the other some what opaque to block light and some other Dragon only things. The third functioned as a 'normal' eyelid, but Nabaz never seemed to need to blink his outer eyelid. One his left eye was on Tirana and her family, and the other seemed to be as well, in fact it was studying her parents and more importantly her brothers.

Having welcomed her Marcus held out his hand. "may i touch you Dragon?"

Tirana growled a large soft purring noise that would bring peace to all that heard it. It was much akin to holding a cat and hearing it purr, but a Dragons pure warmed your heart and just made you forget your own problems at least for a while. His black flames felt very good on her body and she even stretched her wings again to feel the warmth on them.

She shifted so that there was not a spot that her Gand mother could not see. She even spread her wings to provide them shade. She smiled feeling her grandmothers and Beth's touch and wanted to break down crying. She felt so loved and accepted. She lowered her wing so Beth could crawl on her back and inspect her. When her grandmother touched her neck she purred arching her neck and smiled.

"Thank you grand mother."

Seeing Marcus greet her, she bowed in respect back to her uncle and then raised her head. "It would be an honor for you to touch me, uncle." She said softly. She had to remember that there were people inspecting her large tail and to keep from wagging it. She loved her uncle Marcus a lot. She lowered her head and shut her eyes for him.

He lay a gentle hand on her snout, and began to trace along her nose and brows, the over her horns. "Beautiful..You've always been beautiful Tirana...but now...now you are breathtakingly gorgeous... if your aunt could have seen you."

he was weeping now as well.

Nabaz gave a soft huff. None of the humans even heard it, but the wind washed over Tirana every bit of her body feeling the warmth and life of it.

A moment later her parents spoke, first to Nabaz. "Great Dragon. may we approach?"

Then the spoke from only a few feet from Tirana, after some unseen approval from Nabaz. "Daughter...may we approach?"

"Please uncle, don't cry." She said softly. Her tail that wasn't serving as a ramp for Beth to go up and down as she pleased moved around her unopened gently to provide him some privacy. She nuzzled him softly wishing there was something she could do to heal his heart.

When her parents approached she didn't look up from Marcus she just raised a claw carefully and become them carefully.

Marcus very gently hugged his niece, and kissed her forehead. "Thank you sweetheart. Speak to your parents please."

He moved away, strangely moving toward Nabaz and calmly leaning against the Dragon's left foretalon.

Tirana's parents moved forward, touching their daughter, amazed at her scales, colors, and every aspect of her new reality.

Marcus meanwhile spoke very softly to Nabaz. "Will you protect her? I know who attacked her. She's a sweet girl. She doesn't deserve to be hurt."

Nabaz gave a soft rumble. "I will die to protect her Your Majesty. And i already have plans for your nephews. I would prefer not to kill them. Can i ask for your help?"

Marcus nodded. "Yes. They are a threat our whole family. And much more."

Nabaz rumbled again. "You are a wise man Marcus. And a good general. your wife was a fortunate lady. And your children are beautiful."

Marcus smiled. "Thank you. Just keep her safe please. i love that girl."

Nabaz nodded. "I swear it by my very flames Marcus."

She purred gently and then nodded very gently. She let him go and folded her wing back against her. SHe raised her head back up and looked at her parents and let them inspect her as well. She moved her head around at their asking. She laughed as Beth began to tickle a particular part of her body. She shivered and looked at Beth and grinned.

"Be careful Beth you are tickling me." She said ad shook her head and then looked back to her parents and continued to speak to them.

Nabaz chuckled as her family flinched a bit at her words.

Her voice would or would not change according to her will, but the sight of a Dragon, family or not is a marvel. To see a Dragon's mouth moving to make speech was another. Dragon lips did not move to make words. They had other purposes. A Dragon's voice came from deep in their chest, not their throat.

Like so many things about Dragons it made them alien and strange to humankind. The family blinked at her, then continued to examine her.

Her mother touched her brow, sighing. "You are so warm..and so soft...yet so hard at the same time...Can your scales stop swords?"

Nabaz spoke. "Not currently no Your Grace. Glancing arrow shots yes. But they have not had time to harden and thicken yet. They will. She is still young. But on the other hand because she is so young she would heal quickly."

Tirana's father stared at the larger Dragon for a moment then turned to his daughter. He did not speak, but traced the lines between her scales. "Amazing. Even our greatest armorers cannot make such perfection."

Nabaz smiled at this, but then rumbled and huffed out of his far nostril and the Princes leapt back. His eyes darted toward them. "you will not approach my kind. You are not welcome."

The King started to object but Rowena grabbed his wrist. "You cannot command a Dragon my son. He can take Tirana away forever if he wishes and it would be his right. And if you make that happen..."

She released him and signaled to the others who left the carriages and moved around the startled princes, then paused and moved near Tirana. "Tirana?"

Nabaz watched her brother's. he could see Damien and the others working and thinking on a plan. Only Nabaz knew that he had lied. Tirana's scales could stop a ballista fired bolt already. He wanted them to assume they had an advantage and a weakness. He ensured Tirana knew of his deception and why. At no time was she to share any secret with anyone without his direct permission. He also assured her that he would not ask for any details on her family or humans for combat. He respected her dual nature and would never ask her to betray her nature.

He winked at her, as the mental contact allowed her to know without fail or delay of the veracity of his words and intent.

Seeing her brothers approach she rose up and her scales curled. Curling her wings forward a bit she growled low and smoke curled around her face. She opened her mouth and let the smoke curl from her mouth letting them know that she didn't want them near her. She drew herself up to her full height and continued to growl until Nabaz as spoke.

When her grandmother touched her she turned to her brothers and puffed the smoke over them and settled. The smoke wouldn't harm them just irritate the eyes for a second and she leaned her head down and grumbled her annoyance at her brothers.

She smiled and winked back. She grinned wide.

Nabaz raised his tail and let it lay between Tirana and her brothers.

"gentlemen. The lady has denied your audience. i would appreciate it if you would depart."

Before they could argue Marcus moved amongst them cuffing head and grabbing ears. "our guest has made a reasonable and respectful request. NOW GO!!"

Even Damien was not foolish enough to argue with his uncle, and the boys left, but their eyes were filled with rage and hatred.

Nabaz whispered to Marcus. "you may have just endangered yourself and your children."

Marcus smirked. "my children are of the fae. protected in ways that evn their mother knew nothing about. As for me...I'll be fine."

Nabaz considered the man. "As you say Your Grace. But I have no doubt that Tirana would be badly hurt in losing you. Do take care."

"Of course. Now i have a request."

"Do but ask."

"May i examine your scales?"

Nabaz smirked but nodded. Marcus moved in to his left arm, and bent to examining. Nabaz's scales were of course larger and thicker, and overlapped hundreds of times. "This...is unbelievable. I've never seen such protection. As if every part of you works together to protect both a single point and the whole."

"It does. Our scales are not armor. They are our flesh. And Dragons live a wild life. Even a Dragon who has never even seen another sentient being will have fought more battles in a lifetime than even you, Your Grace. We live by tooth and claw. There is a reason for all the old tales and sayings of us. My favorite has always been this one though. 'If you plan to kick a Dragon in the tail, you best have cut it off from the dead Dragon first.' I find it apropos, if somewhat dark. Of course the same could be said of humans. Your people are a fierce and determined bunch. Much to admire."

Marcus looked askance in the direction his nephews had gone, then resumed examining the large Dragon. "And much to hate."

She looked at her brothers. Moving her head she carefully nuzzled Marcus. "I will not let anything happen to you. My brothers will burn in my flame before they hurt you." She uttered the oath into boathouse Nabaz and Marcus mind. She then grinned watching Marcus examine the scales.

Tirana smiled and then spread her wings a bit stretching them and stretched her limbs as they were getting a bit sore from remaining so still for everyone. She was being so careful and so statuesque. She blinked her eyes and was trying to figure out the different eyelids and giggled a bit.

Nabaz smirked, and gently tapped his claw. The others turned and he nodded toward Tirana. "i think the lady should be allowed to fly. her first flight was...troublesome."

Nabaz looked up at the sky. "go fly Lady Tirana. learn the skies."

Stepping back carefully from her family, she turned around very carefully being careful not to hit or bumb into anyone with her girth. She then moved away a safe distance and then she spread her wings and then leapt into the skies and began to fly and then smiled as she gained a lot more altitude then she did before. Her wings were carrying her higher and higher until she was as high as the clouds. She roared her excitement and then began to fly in great circles feeling the wind beat against her scales and body as she would dive towards the earth and pull up again only to shoot higher and did several turns and acrobatics in the air.

She shut her eyes and took in a deep breath saying a prayer of thanks to her Dragon mother.

Nabaz watched smiling, his eyes moving with her, while the others followed with more difficulty.

Furad touched the young Dragon's mind. "Do be careful sweet one. you have not learned all the currents and drafts yet. Such as that cloud formation? it will freeze your scales and make you very sick. It's a very serious rain storm but up that high it will be ice and snow, and you are too young to deal with that properly as of yet. Avoid it." This was followed by a number of other simple tips and tricks, such as how to avoid a rush of hot air that would throw her out of her rhythm, a thin cloud that was forming and would steal a large portion of her thrust because it was denser than air at the moment, and other such things. "Nabaz can show you more of such things, and most of it will come with time, and your ability to handle them with growth. but enjoy the flight...ooh look!" Furad nudged her eyes to see several geese flying nearby.

Rather than being frightened the geese honked at Tirana.

Furad spoke softly. "We do not hunt within the skies. it is a neutral place. Birds are our allies in ways you cannot currently imagine. Nabaz will explain that in more detail."

The geese honked again as they turned and began to fly with Tirana, matching her more simple acrobatics, and honking happily at her impressive ones.

Marcus shook his head amazed. "Should she be this good so quickly?"

"She's been dreaming of flying all her life General. I would be more worried if she wasn't. Cover your ears everyone."

When they had done so he unleashed a trumpet that echoed for miles. it was a happy sound and the geese honked again. Furad chuckled in Tirana's mind. "He is saluting your flight. You are doing well dear one."

When Nabaz filled her mind she ducked and barrel rolled around the clouds. She moved around them as an expert rider would around trees in a forest or a fox would avoid roots in a forest. She laughed full of mirth in his head. She was light and full of air like a cloud herself in his mind. She listened and took everything in.

When the geese fell in behind them, she stretched her wings more and made the air current more easy for them so they were more like the kite tail on her kite. Especially when she saw they were following her. She laughed.

"I salute you back sky traveler and wish you fair skies and warm nests." She said laughing and out of breath when the play was over. Slowly she began to circle. Her wings crying out for a rest. She then lowered her legs once ready. Sighing she landed on a large patch. Laying on her side she laughed and laid on her side sunning herself.

"Thank you NAbaz." She said via their link. "Thank you too Furad. I didn't realize how much I needed that."

The others rushed to her, worried she was hurt or in trouble, but Nabaz just lay as well, then rolled onto his back like the largest cat ever, letting the sun wash over his dark scales.

Marcus was the only one who did not rush to the purple Dragon, instead sneaking a grip of Nabaz's left paw and riding it up onto the Dragon's chest.

Nabaz ignored him unconcerned. Marcus began to walk the length of the Dragon, feeling small for the first time in his life. "Why six fingers?"

"Sign of loyalty to our Creator. She has six fingers as well."

Marcus nodded. "No looses or shifting scales."

"Only happens with scalerot. And that was rare even in it's most prevalent time."

Marcus nodded. "Your joints are doubled?"

"Quadrupled actually. Thickened and strengthened and able to bend so to prevent breaking or cracking during landings or other powerful impacts, especially battle."

Marcus nodded again. "Do you have to sharpen the talons?"

"Yes and no. The tips are always sharp. The lengths grow dull like your fingernails."

"Can they break? And your horns?"

"oh yes. but the pressure required is immense."

Marcus continued to walk. "I can't feel your heartbeat."

"It doesn't thud as powerfully as yours. And also my scales are too thick for your senses to detect it. you would feel and hear Tirana's though."

Marcus considered this. "No visible sex organs?"

Nabaz laughed. "They...mask themselves unless needed. they make too perfect a target otherwise."

Marcus laughed at that as well. "Clever. how sensitive are your talons?"

"More so than your teeth and nails."

"How agile is your tail?"

"We can do most anything with our tails."

He brought his own up and very deftly scratched his snout, then tapped the end to end talon point, then encircled his own lower legs with it before pulling it free to swish upon the ground.

During all of this he made sure Tirana was also given the information. Marcus continued to study the black Dragon.

Furad was humming an elven lay to Tirana as unseen her spirit lay beside her, also enjoying the sun, if only the idea of it.

Back
Top Bottom