Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Do you talk to yourself?

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
How big of a self-talker are you, on a regular basis? Is it only short bursts for specific circumstances? Do you have full conversations when alone? Or are you completely silent, only grunting or sighing to show emotion when you're by yourself?

What about TV? Do you talk during movies or TV shows while watching them alone?

All the time! At work I usually talk to myself to get my thoughts straight. I also talk to other people, saying rather than telling them what we're going to do. I make sure to tell them that I am not telling them what to do but rather I do it for myself haha.

Where would you categorize the aspect of "self-writing?" Perhaps that is not the proper term to describe what I am thinking of but.....I have a habit of writing out 'conversations' and 'interactions' with characters I control in a story, a 4th walling exercise I do time to time when attempting to write or rp and have hit a dry spell or nasty episode of writer's block. This sort of thing can range anywhere from a few sentences 'exchanged' between myself and my character/muse to get them back on track or progress into mini stories of their own to which I 'engage' the muse of my character at length on a topic. It might seem strange if not out right creepy but I sometimes discover new things about the character I am 'conversing with' as these episodes are no different than me, sitting here and typing out a response to another individual sitting behind a keyboard. Maybe I simply possess an over stimulated imagination or hold some odd ability to multitask in the most unusual sense with my brain able to keep two separate trains of thought going simultaneously yet intersecting verses running parallel to one another.

Maybe I've just a knack for 4th walling with my writing. Granted some muses are more resistant to the 4th walling than others. The only reasonable explanation I can pull together for this warrants how close to my own personality and values I designed the muse with in the first place aside from my original inspiration for the particular muse. I've found the stronger the spark which ignited the idea for the character in the first place the stronger my level of 'interaction' with them is when working on a story or rp. It's one of the main reasons why I do not like creating new characters to play as on a whim from rp to rp, without some semblance of connection I find it very difficult to write let alone bring the character to actual life in the scenario verses going through the motions of something. The longer I have had a character's muse, the more I use said muse, not only the more developed but the more life like the muse becomes.

Now as to if I actually talk to my self.... not really. I will often repeat or parrot things aloud as a means to commit them to memory but that is about it. I do not hold any kind of conversation with myself aloud albeit sometimes the situation at hand sparks the appearance of a particular muse, said character 4th walling inside my mind. Obviously this occurs thanks to the level of that particular muse's familiarization with such a situation or pertains to the personality traits I have given them.

As far as talking to the TV or talking during a movie....I'm guilty. I'll certainly whisper things under my breath during intense moments of suspension or during a brutal combat scene despite the fact I know the characters in the show cannot hear no understand me. Stereotypical things such as "nononono how blind are you, you're trapping yourself don't go in there!" To "Oh come on that was so obvious that was going to happen!" I will restrain such reactions when in public such as at the movies. I will also reframe from doing this should I be watching a movie with someone else who is seeing it for the first time as to avoid distracting them from the events and causing them to miss things. When I am by myself or re-watching a movie with someone who has seen it prior I'll make remarks here and there depending. We both will its fairly common place.

I don't so much talk to myself, as swear at myself out loud. I'll be sitting at work, and then all of a sudden a string of expletives will erupt from my mouth, either calling myself a frigging idiot, or an inanimate object/word document/spreadsheet every name under the sun, if it's not going the way I want it to! It's caused quite a few amusing moments when, half the time I don't even realise I've done it, and how loud I was! I become so intensely focused and single-tracked, it's like a circuit-breaker for my brain, allowing me to snap out of whatever zone I'm in, reset, and then come at a problem from a new angle. Happens when I'm composing roleplay posts as well.

Other than that, no, I don't have conversations with myself (except in my head!), or commentate aloud during movies, watching sport, or the like.

Yeah, I'm a big self-talker. Not in the way like, I go back and forth and have a conversation but we all have conversations with ourselves in our heads. Not as linear as a back and forth with another person but there is the sense of narrative when you think through a problem or describe mental steps to yourself while performing a task. I'll utter parts of those aloud sometimes.

I'm very big on fantasy, 90% of the time visualizing some scenario while I'm alone and even for parts of a story I am working on. For those instances, I'll murmur aloud certain "lines". I count it as talking, even if I mouth it, because I'm changing expression, changing my face to move as if acting out a little bit. Sometimes it is necessary to get a natural feel to the dialogue to hear it said aloud. I also lecture aloud when no one else is there, just in case I ever need to go into didactic mode on a particular subject when other folks are around.

I also talk to the TV. I admit it. TV is one of my best friends and I yell at those tiny people in the box and make fun of them, celebrate when they do something right, or make funny observations to myself. I'm almost 30 and figure, there's not a whole lot to be embarrassed about when hearing my own voice.

Ron Roberts said:
I like to talk to intelligent, interesting people.

^ Essentially why I talk to myself (x

I talk to myself a lot. Sometimes I even have debates between me and myself to see how valid my opinion on something is. I also think out loud when I'm studying or doing a complicated math problem, but I keep it to a whisper.

I never talk to the TV though. I'm usually silent as a statue.

Its pretty much a given thing with myself. I usually do it when im thinking or planning things, if I just think then I forget where im at whereas if I talk them through with myself I can keep track and sometimes re-evaluate choices. Also if I need a lil pep talk it can help, on the flip side though I can be a little negative to myself say if ive just done something I regret.

Most of the time when I talk to myself it happens this way. I answer the phone and say "Hello" and on the other end a robocall. In theory, when I said hello I was not saying hello to a real person, but a computer. Therefore, I was really talking to myself.

Robocall

A robocall is a phone call that uses a computerized autodialer to deliver a pre-recorded message, as if from a robot. Robocalls are often associated with political and telemarketing phone campaigns, but can also be used for public-service or emergency announcements. Some robocalls use personalized audio messages to simulate an actual personal phone call.

Forbidden Fruit said:
I talk to myself a lot. Sometimes I even have debates between me and myself to see how valid my opinion on something is. I also think out loud when I'm studying or doing a complicated math problem, but I keep it to a whisper.

That's basically me. Let's say something stressful is happening in my life/I anticipate a stressful confrontation/or I read an opinion I disagree with, I'll have arguments with that person while I'm alone. Like, anticipate their words and how things might go and I get vocal about it, giving myself freedom to actually talk and emote. A lot of times it is to "be ready" for that confrontation because I'm the type of arguer where in the situation, I either blow up and say shit I don't mean or I clam up/blank out. So, it's nice to have a reasonable argument ready beforehand. Other times, it's to blow off steam. Like the confrontation will never happen and I hope it never does but I'm so upset about it, I gotta have my say, even if it's not actually to their face. Talking aloud in that circumstance helps make it feel like you have had that release, even if you haven't. And finally, sometimes, when I read or watch something I disagree with, it takes me a moment to reason out why I feel a certain way. Talking it out, even a pointless political debate that I'll never actually have with someone, it helps me poke holes in my own arguments, helps me figure out why I hold a certain viewpoint. Sometimes, I find out interesting things about myself doing that.

If I have a lot on my mind, or I'm just really bored, then usually I'll rattle out my opinions. Don't specifically know WHY I do, maybe it's just filler to keep me occupied, but it can help for getting thoughts straight.

Also when I'm writing I'll usually reread whatever I wrote under my breath, or murmur what I'm going to write next to get the passage right in my head.

I talk to myself very frequently because it helps me keep my thoughts in order and remember things. Repeating things helps them stay fresh in my mind and also helps me find a pattern to keep it there - like rhyming for example. I still remember the first license plate for my first car because it rhymed and I haven't had that car in years.

I also talk to myself to work up roleplay responses, but that is only when I have writers block. Saying my ideas out loud helps me to find out what sounds good and what doesn't

All. The. Time. I often just go on solo rants or have a completely one sided conversation with myself.

I don't have a strong social life ;)

I often talk during movies, much to the annoyance of friends. Usually when the movie does something really dumb or I notice a major inconsistency.

I talk to myself most of the time especially when focusing on something. E.g. Driving a manual transmission car. I would say things such as, "Alright, Asphodel, press gas and release clutch gradually."

N.B. Of course I used Asphodel here to avoid using my real name here. Obviously, I address myself using my real name not a username. :p LOL!

Back
Top Bottom