Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Lake House {KayLove & Mackenzie}

KayLove

Seaside Sun Bather
In memory the lake house was a shinning vision of summers long past, it's porch filled with laughter, the lake glittering before them as the sun set, the cards upon the table invoking reactions from all, mosquitoes mercilessly biting their skin until they gave up and went inside. It was a joyous place, filled with love and friendship during every blazing summer.

But this, this was not a time for laughter. She had been invited back from London to attend the funeral of a dear family friend, one whom spent time with her as a child. It had been the man that ownd the lake houses wife, Joyce. It was sudden, one mouth she was told that they had found cancer and the next... She was gone. It was a horrible thing not to be able to say goodbye so she had volunteered to put together the funeral. Seeing as that was her job, an event coordinator, in London, huge parties, banquettes, weddings. Anything of the sort really... But this, she had never had to plan a funeral before, not like this, not so close to the heart.

She had gotten home a couple days before the funeral, still jet lagged and puffy eyed, but straight to business as she stayed with her aunt and sorted everything out. The flowers, the cremation ceremony, the pastor, the pamphlets and finally the place. That was the most important part, someplace where the friends and family could simply be together and morn. There was a small church just up the road in the small forested town where everything would be shipped to. She had already asked Robert, Joyce's husband if she could stay the night at his cabin and of course he had said yes in a tone that said I would rather you stay than me.

But sadly the only thing that a coordinator could not control was the weather. Her little blue car wasn't made for the snow. Delilah's vocabulary consisting of nothing more than that of a sailor as she trekked her way into the small town and towards the frosted lake. In London she didn't have to drive anywhere, thankfully.

But there it was the little house, perfect and snow covered. She turned in slowly as if to saver the moment of memories flooding back to her. "I've missed it..." She said in a sad voice, devastated that it had to be for this that she should come back.

The bundled dark haired woman hurried from the car and quickly grabbed the spare key from under the mat, letting herself in. "Hello!" She wasn't exactly sure if she was alone tonight or not, Robert didn't tell her if anyone else had chosen to stay the night before the funeral. But that didn't matter she wasn't going to care anyways.

The front door opened into a small sitting room, she quickly took off her jacket and stored it in the closet, unlacing her boots as well and kicking them off. There were a couple chairs facing the front window, cozy and comfortable. She ventured into the kitchen, setting her bags on top of the counter, and going to the living room.

That was her personal favorite, there was a large overstuffed couch facing a grand glass wall, the sliding glass door to the right. She pushed the curtains aside, letting all of the evening light into the dark cabin, the sunset casting hues of orange upon her face. Her lips twitched slightly as she thought of how many times she had stained out this window at everyone smiling. How beautiful everything had been....

Catching herself she blinked the tears away from her hazel eyes and started on building a fire in the large stone fireplace. Her thoughts drifting in and out as she sorted out the details that she still had to tweak before tomorrow, the day that they were all going to have, how smoothly it would all go and finally how badly she wanted to go back home and away from this place... To the other side of the world as it was.

KayLove said:
In memory the lake house was a shinning vision of summers long past, it's porch filled with laughter, the lake glittering before them as the sun set, the cards upon the table invoking reactions from all, mosquitoes mercilessly biting their skin until they gave up and went inside. It was a joyous place, filled with love and friendship during every blazing summer.

But this, this was not a time for laughter. She had been invited back from London to attend the funeral of a dear family friend, one whom spent time with her as a child. It had been the man that ownd the lake houses wife, Joyce. It was sudden, one mouth she was told that they had found cancer and the next... She was gone. It was a horrible thing not to be able to say goodbye so she had volunteered to put together the funeral. Seeing as that was her job, an event coordinator, in London, huge parties, banquettes, weddings. Anything of the sort really... But this, she had never had to plan a funeral before, not like this, not so close to the heart.

She had gotten home a couple days before the funeral, still jet lagged and puffy eyed, but straight to business as she stayed with her aunt and sorted everything out. The flowers, the cremation ceremony, the pastor, the pamphlets and finally the place. That was the most important part, someplace where the friends and family could simply be together and morn. There was a small church just up the road in the small forested town where everything would be shipped to. She had already asked Robert, Joyce's husband if she could stay the night at his cabin and of course he had said yes in a tone that said I would rather you stay than me.

But sadly the only thing that a coordinator could not control was the weather. Her little blue car wasn't made for the snow. Delilah's vocabulary consisting of nothing more than that of a sailor as she trekked her way into the small town and towards the frosted lake. In London she didn't have to drive anywhere, thankfully.

But there it was the little house, perfect and snow covered. She turned in slowly as if to saver the moment of memories flooding back to her. "I've missed it..." She said in a sad voice, devastated that it had to be for this that she should come back.

The bundled dark haired woman hurried from the car and quickly grabbed the spare key from under the mat, letting herself in. "Hello!" She wasn't exactly sure if she was alone tonight or not, Robert didn't tell her if anyone else had chosen to stay the night before the funeral. But that didn't matter she wasn't going to care anyways.

The front door opened into a small sitting room, she quickly took off her jacket and stored it in the closet, unlacing her boots as well and kicking them off. There were a couple chairs facing the front window, cozy and comfortable. She ventured into the kitchen, setting her bags on top of the counter, and going to the living room.

That was her personal favorite, there was a large overstuffed couch facing a grand glass wall, the sliding glass door to the right. She pushed the curtains aside, letting all of the evening light into the dark cabin, the sunset casting hues of orange upon her face. Her lips twitched slightly as she thought of how many times she had stained out this window at everyone smiling. How beautiful everything had been....

Catching herself she blinked the tears away from her hazel eyes and started on building a fire in the large stone fireplace. Her thoughts drifting in and out as she sorted out the details that she still had to tweak before tomorrow, the day that they were all going to have, how smoothly it would all go and finally how badly she wanted to go back home and away from this place... To the other side of the world as it was.

Hailey heard the door latch wiggle and swore she heard the sound of it opening. She dragged herself out of bed from a quiet nap and stumbled out of the bedroom in her oversized tee and knee socks. When she came to the living room she was surprised to find another woman in the room, but immediately recognized her from earlier family gatherings. She comprehended here was another participant in the funeral, and extended her hand in greeting. "I don't know if you remember me," she chimed, "I'm Hailey. I got in last night after a grueling flight and was just taking a snooze."

Life had been hard of late for Hailey. She'd broken up with her boyfriend whom she found in bed with another girl when she came home unexpectedly from a cancelled class. There had been problems in the relationship anyway, and this was the last straw. She was glad to be rid of the fighting, though she did have to admit to herself that she missed companionship. Her university studies were going well, but the relationship issues for her never stopped. She almost felt relief when she realized she could spend a few days in the cabin, even if it meant dealing with a funeral.

She had a fire smoldering in the fireplace and the trusty old cast iron pot hanging over it. She'd thrown together a soup earlier this morning and it was softly gurgling over the fire. She'd picked up a few bottles of Bordeaux, and two loaves of country bread, at the local store before taking a cab to the cabin.

She looked at her new cabin mate appreciatively. She had a good feeling about the woman and hoped that they would make good conversation partners. "There's an empty chest of drawers in the bedroom" she offered, "and there's an extra bed in there as well. I hope you don't mind sharing a room."

Hailey sad down on the couch and threw her head back, basking in the warmth of the fire. "Can I get you a bowl of soup and maybe a glass of wine?" she queried the woman standing in front of her. "And we have some bread."

Delilah practically jumped out of her skin as she turned to see the girl come down the stairs and greet her in a groggy voice. Recondition seemed to take its time as she recalled the family events she had been to and the faintly familiar face. "Hailey, yes, your Uncle said it would be alright if I stay here, I hope you don't mind..." The slightly mumbled question was answered by her telling her where everything was and inquiries.

The dark haired woman couldn't help but laugh slightly, "Well aren't you the greatest hostess ever?" She said attempting to lighten the mood, "I'd love some soup." She told her as she headed to the kitchen to grab a couple of bowls. But to her undoing as she opened and closed several cupboards to no avail... "Am I hallucinating or am I just not looking in the right place?" She asked and gave a sigh, "Maybe it's just been a long week, for both of us, at least we don't have to spend tonight alone. This place always kinda creeped me out." She thought for a moment as she leaned back apon the counter, "Maybe it's all the creaking wood, I always thought that meant the house was complaining and was hurting every time that second to last stair made that awful sound." She gave a small laugh.

KayLove said:
Delilah practically jumped out of her skin as she turned to see the girl come down the stairs and greet her in a groggy voice. Recondition seemed to take its time as she recalled the family events she had been to and the faintly familiar face. "Hailey, yes, your Uncle said it would be alright if I stay here, I hope you don't mind..." The slightly mumbled question was answered by her telling her where everything was and inquiries.

The dark haired woman couldn't help but laugh slightly, "Well aren't you the greatest hostess ever?" She said attempting to lighten the mood, "I'd love some soup." She told her as she headed to the kitchen to grab a couple of bowls. But to her undoing as she opened and closed several cupboards to no avail... "Am I hallucinating or am I just not looking in the right place?" She asked and gave a sigh, "Maybe it's just been a long week, for both of us, at least we don't have to spend tonight alone. This place always kinda creeped me out." She thought for a moment as she leaned back apon the counter, "Maybe it's all the creaking wood, I always thought that meant the house was complaining and was hurting every time that second to last stair made that awful sound." She gave a small laugh.

Hailey knew what Delilah was talking about. "Yeah, there is something a bit creepy about this place," she responded. "But it exactly fits my mood at the moment." She wished she hadn't dangled that sentence, but then thought, "Why not?" Hailey wasn't one for much meaningless conversation. She reached into the small cupboard next the fireplace and pulled out two bowls, nicely warmed from being so close to the flames. She ladled the two with the simple soup she'd made, and passed one bowl to Delilah.

There was a bottle of Bordeaux on the coffee table, one glass below full. Hailey walked across the room and fetched two glasses out of the cabinet. Let's plop down on the couch and have some wine and soup. She handed Delilah one of the glasses and then poured a generous amount of the dark purple Bordeaux into Delilah's glass. She did the same for her glass and then sat cross legged on one side of the couch facing Delilah's position. "There's some bread in the kitchen," she went on, "help youself if you'd like, this is quite enough for me."

Hailey was not a nervous talker. Both women sat in the silence of the cabin enough to be comfortable with their new situation. Hailey loved to listen to what is going on inside her, and she felt a twinge of curiosity stir in her. "So I'm in grad school, just broke up with my boyfriend, and am worried about enough money to finish the program. That's me ... and you ... ?"

Back
Top Bottom