Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

For Those Having a Bad Day

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
Things are pretty shitty. It's the human condition, and we tend to focus on the negatives. Things don't need to be so dire, November notwithstanding and sometimes all we need is a little spotlight on the stuff that makes us feel good to remember why life is still worthwhile to see to the end.

This thread is the Chicken Soup For The Soul of BMR. Occasionally, you come upon stories, articles, news reports, of good people and BAMFs doing amazing things. Helping our fellow man, getting beyond the petty bullshit, or just being downright adorable and inspiring. Even animals can get in on the heroic action too. This will most likely be corny but it's here, for when you just want some good news.

Rules:
1. You can quote news articles/blog articles here but no more than 3 paragraphs of the original text and it must have a link of where you got it from.
2. Political stuff might come up but let's keep it positive. This is supposed to be uplifting and restore faith in humanity, not start arguments.
3. Religious stuff may be added so long as it falls in line with the thesis: Humanity is worthwhile. This is a celebration of good works, not a chance to preach.

Man Who Received Bride's Father's Heart To Walk Her Down the Aisle

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — Jeni Stepien waited ten years for this day. On the eve of her wedding day, she finally met the man who’s now living with her father’s heart.

It was a meeting filled with emotion for Jeni and the entire Stepien family. Jeni’s father, Michael Stepien, was murdered in Swissvale back in 2006.

“Just hugging him made me feel like I was close to my dad again which on this day was perfect. It was what I needed,” said Michelle Stepien, the sister of the bride.

10 Powerful Charts that Show Why the World is Better Than We Think

We live in a world where we are constantly bombarded by negative news from every angle. If you turn on CNN (what I call the Crisis News Network), you'll predominantly hear about death, terrorism, airplane crashes, bombings, financial crisis and political scandal.

I think of the news as a drug pusher, and negative news as their drug.

NOTE: This is not to say that there aren't major issues we still face, like climate crisis, religious radicalism, terrorism, and so on. It's just that we forget and romanticize the world in centuries past — and life back then was short and brutal.

Thanks to a loyal setter and a group of volunteers, two dogs were found safe after a week lost in the woods in Washington state.

Tillie, the setter, stayed with her doggie friend Phoebe for a week. She left each day to go find help. Phoebe a basset hound, was trapped in a concrete cistern in a ravine where Tillie stood guard.

The nonprofit animal rescue organization Vashon Island Pet Protectors had posted photos of the dogs on their Facebook page, hoping someone would spot them. On Sept. 14, they received a call saying that while they were out on their property, a "reddish" dog had come up to them a few times, before promptly heading back into a ravine.

read the full article Dog stands guard for week until trapped friend found

Just spent 2 hrs with a elderly man at Kroger. It started with me just smiling at him , making eye contact .... As I walked past him he looked like he needed something . I went back and asked him if I could help him. Tears welled up in his eyes and he said , " I have colon cancer and I have had a really bad accident , if I get up out of this cart everyone will know ... What should I do? ". The look of his dignity lost left me with a lump in my throat.

Elderly man has accident in his pants at the store - woman's reaction restores faith in humanity

Sometimes, when we are at our lowest, we just need to know that we are not all on our own.

Dashcam captures highway pileup and woman saved from burning car

The video shows the moment of the crash on Route 17. Then, one of the cars involved burst into flames. Bystanders jumped into action, helping to extinguish the flames and rescue the driver.

“In a time of crisis, these brave individuals navigated through flames and broken glass to save a stranger’s life,” Binghamton Mayor Rich David wrote.

According to the mayor, no one was killed in the 10-vehicle crash, and the woman in the burning car only suffered minor cuts and bruises.

The video takes a little while to get going but it's worth the watch! Those flames kicked up high and really close!

Lonely autistic boy writes his own birthday cards - internet had amazing response

Ollie Jones decided to make his own cards ahead of his birthday, prompting his mother Karen to make a poignant plea on Facebook asking for strangers to send her son cards.

After turning 15, the teenager was left stunned when he received an estimated 20,000 cards from all over the world – more than the 17,000 the Queen receives on average for her birthday.

The teenager also received hundreds of gifts, including an X-box that was sent from Saudi Arabia, while they have also been offered a weekend away.

I love this one so much! :heart:

Janitor Secretly Amasses $8 million fortune and leaves it to a hospital and library when he dies

Ronald Read always lived frugally – which is why his family was astonished to discover that the former JC Penny janitor and gas station attendant had saved an $8 million fortune.

Read had owned 95 stocks before he passed away, including big names such as Dow Chemical, General Electric, JP Morgan Chase, and CVS Health. Favoring paper and ink rather than modern phone apps, Read had kept stacks of his investment certificates locked in a safe deposit box for decades.

McDonald's Employee with Down Syndrome Retires After 32 Years

NEEDHAM, Mass. (WLS) --
A big party was held Monday to honor a longtime McDonald's employee for her three decades of service.

Freia David, who has Down syndrome, has worked as the fry girl at the McDonald's in Needham, Mass., for the last 32 years.

The restaurant invited the whole town to celebrate Freia's retirement, and even gave away free orders of French fries in her honor.

Steve Harvey: Homeless to Millionaire

Steve Harvey's life is a rags-to-riches tale – but there's no fairy godmother or anonymous benefactor, just integrity, ingenuity and success.

Harvey tells PEOPLE in this week's cover story that while he's now amassed an empire estimated to be worth $100 million, he was once homeless and living out of his Ford Tempo.

"It kills me when I hear very successful people say, 'I always knew I would get here,' " he says. "I didn't. I always hoped I would get somewhere, but this is above and beyond. My imagination didn't even go this big."

I love this story so much. Whether you believe in a higher power or that Harvey just pulled himself up by his bootstraps, what I take away from it is that following your dreams is never wrong. It all pays off in the end.

Thank you so much, Mr. Vyce! Those are all really great news stories. :)

Teenager helps scared elderly woman down the elevator

Carma Greathouse had never used the escalator by herself and was terrified to take the first step. That's when 19 year-old Alujwyon Lowery came to the rescue.
"He says take hold of my hand, and I says I sure will, and he says now take a step when I take a step. So I did and I got on and he held my hand all the way down the elevator. He was a very nice man," said Greathouse.

Giant Panda No Longer Endangered

After years of conservation work on behalf of the iconic species, the giant panda has just been downgraded from ‘Endangered’ to ‘Vulnerable’ on the global list of species at risk of extinction,

The surprising piece of good news demonstrates how an integrated approach between governments and environmental groups can save our planet’s endangered species.

The International Union for Conservation of Nature announced the upgrade to the giant panda’s status, pointing to a 17 percent rise in the population in the decade up to 2014.

"I can't see any borders here": Israelis and Palestinians unite for backgammon

On a warm night at Jerusalem's upscale Train Station restaurant complex, alcohol, cigarettes and watermelon have been laid out so people can knuckle down for some serious backgammon — or shesh besh as it's called locally. Jews play Muslims, men play women, while the children who don't want to learn the rules run around. Everyone dresses how they please.

It's the brainchild of peace group Kulna Yerushalayim, which means "We are all Jerusalem," a name that has one word in Arabic and one in Hebrew.

"We are offering a human solution, where people realize there is a human being facing them," says Israeli organizer Idai Goldschmitt.

Palestinian activist Mohammed Al Rifei says his motto has always been: "Let's just put people together without having to talk about anything political. Let's see if they can hold together for an hour, two hours, even half an hour without getting on each other's nerves."

Gotta say, Mr. Al Rifei's motto is a good one. :p

Community rallies behind restaurant owner burglarized five times

After word spread of a Bryan restaurant owner who had his business burglarized five times in three months, community members quickly came together to help keep Ray Arrington's business afloat. The burglaries caught the attention of people in the area, many of whom know the struggles of a small restaurant owner in a town full of big competitors. Arrington soon had people visiting his restaurant -- Ms. Helen's Cafe -- offering to donate food, money, and one local company even offered to donate and install a complete security system.

Wisconsin Classmates Attend Adoption Ceremony of 10-Year-Old Girl So She Doesn't Miss Out on First Day of School

Thanks to the kindness of students and staff members at a Milwaukee, Wisconsin, day school for children with intellectual disabilities, 10-year-old Abby Novotny didn't have to miss her first day of class to attend a formal court adoption.

Abby had been living with her foster mother, Anne Novotny, for three years and the family had an appointment to finalize the adoption on August 29 – the first day of school. Instead of having to miss one of these two special days, Abby was accompanied by all 24 of her St. Coletta Day School classmates, who showed up to the courthouse with her.

"It was incredible," Anne told ABC News. "The kids were so well-behaved but their faces, right when they saw Abby, gave her the homemade cards and gifts…it was so thrilling for all of them. Everywhere Abby looked there were kids, teachers, siblings, aunts and uncles. She could hardly stop smiling."

Back
Top Bottom