Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Unusual snacks

Star Pupil

Old soul
So there are things I always see at the grocery store that I just don't buy. Sometimes they look good, other times they are just weird but my curiosity is piqued because "How could anyone even make a flavor like that?!"

Good example is all the flavors of chips that are coming onto the market. Biscuits and gravy, Mac and cheese, I haven't tried very many of them.

Post an unusual snack you have tried, and if you liked it or not.

Yesterday I finally gave into the curiosity and bought Brownie Brittle. I had seen it for months and was curious, but never wanted to pay 4 dollars because I was afraid I would hate it. Turns out it's freakin amazing and I like it better than store bought brownies. It's crunchy, kind of like a chip. The flavor is wonderful, and the aftertaste is hard to describe. Kind of like the flavor of something that was baked to be a little crispier, but it's good.

http://browniebrittle.com/

E-aji Dip snax. It's a snack of chips with a sauce with it. Quite popular in the 2000's.

Here's a visual presentation:
One of the flavors is
1306916289848.jpg

Ritz Bacon Flavor. Honestly, the idea of combining a cracker with bacon made me arch a brow. I mean, I love bacon and I love Ritz crackers. But fusing such a flavor into a cracker seemed kind of odd. Then, just last week, one of my co-workers brought in a sleeve of the stuff for a snack. She'd actually accidentally bought the package at the store and was rather upset when she realized what she'd done. However, since she'd purchased it and was more or less stuck with it, she decided to give it a try. She loved it. And, she felt compelled to share it with the rest of us at work. We all tried a cracker and...OMFG! Sooo good! I honestly wasn't expecting it to be good. But, hot damn, it was. : )

Omg! Great thread idea! :heart: *subscribes*

Something we tried recently was cotton candy puff balls. You know, like the cheese balls but they're blue and sweet, tasting like cotton candy. Like, they're the exact same crunchy texture as the cheese ones but they're just sweet. Hard at first to get used to but really great snack.

e53e0539f7edbedab0d5af2effea4cba.gif

darkangel76 said:
Ritz Bacon Flavor. Honestly, the idea of combining a cracker with bacon made me arch a brow. I mean, I love bacon and I love Ritz crackers. But fusing such a flavor into a cracker seemed kind of odd. Then, just last week, one of my co-workers brought in a sleeve of the stuff for a snack. She'd actually accidentally bought the package at the store and was rather upset when she realized what she'd done. However, since she'd purchased it and was more or less stuck with it, she decided to give it a try. She loved it. And, she felt compelled to share it with the rest of us at work. We all tried a cracker and...OMFG! Sooo good! I honestly wasn't expecting it to be good. But, hot damn, it was. : )

That would probably taste really good with cheese. <3

Rudolph Quin said:
Omg! Great thread idea! :heart: *subscribes*

Something we tried recently was cotton candy puff balls. You know, like the cheese balls but they're blue and sweet, tasting like cotton candy. Like, they're the exact same crunchy texture as the cheese ones but they're just sweet. Hard at first to get used to but really great snack.

e53e0539f7edbedab0d5af2effea4cba.gif
Thanks. :)

I've never seen those before, what store do you get them at? Also do you have to buy the big jars? I can't buy a huge amount of sweet things because my boyfriend hates sweets so I have to eat it by myself. I miss out on a bunch of things because I have no one to share them with. :(

Princess Pittooey said:
Thanks. :)

I've never seen those before, what store do you get them at? Also do you have to buy the big jars? I can't buy a huge amount of sweet things because my boyfriend hates sweets so I have to eat it by myself. I miss out on a bunch of things because I have no one to share them with. :(

I get them at the local grocery, which, I live in the country, so, I'm not sure how spread out they are. But they're by Herr's so you might find them somewhere else. And no, they come in the big barrel-like container just like the cheese ones, which is a bitch to throw away once you're done.

Jet-Puffed marshmallows have gotten into the seasonal game, coming out with wacky flavors all through the year with different, interesting flavors. Like, ice cream marshmallows, candy corn, stars(with red white and blue for the fourth and they taste like blueberry and...other flavors I can't remember), christmas trees, gingerbread men, and pumpkin spice(of course). My absolute favorite is the toasted coconut ones, with toasted coconut on the outside of them.

600699630009.jpg

Another one that makes an appearance around the fall is the caramel apple twizzlers, which are amazing. Sometimes I get kinda weirded out by the twizzlers that have filling, because it is congealed and a weird textured mix between liquid and solid, more on the solid side. But these ones are really good.

appletwizzlers-01.png

appletwizzlers-06.png

There's more but I got think of them, so, I'll probably come back periodically to nurture this thread. You're talkin' to a real connoisseur here! XD I always go for the kitschy stuff. Just make food taste like other food and I'll buy it to try it!

Asphodel Terrarium said:
@Rudolph Quinn: :O It's kind of difficult to imagine crunchy cotton candy. You did say it's crunchy and hard, correct?

In addition, that colour reminds me of bubblegum flavour ice cream.

Yes! It was really weird to get used to because it looked like that green ketchup a few years back, you know? Like, "These cheese puffs...are colored weird!" But actually, you get used to it and the flavor is really sweet and strong cotton candy.

Do those cotton candy puffs have the awful dust like the cheese ones?

Also, Brownie Brittle is the real deal. It's like a bag full of brownie tops.

Trygon said:

Sorta, not as bad though. My brother does have a picture of me with a blue handprint on the side of my black pants...which I will not share. X3

I found the brownie brittle to have a slight saltiness mixed in there, did anyone else get that? Like not pronounced but definitely saltier than I'd expect an actual brownie to be.

Trygon said:

Also, Brownie Brittle is the real deal. It's like a bag full of brownie tops.

That's the best way to describe it. I ate the entire bag today and was ashamed.

What flavor of Brittle did you get, Quin? The chocolate chip kind wasn't salty to me.

Princess Pittooey said:
That's the best way to describe it. I ate the entire bag today and was ashamed.

What flavor of Brittle did you get, Quin? The chocolate chip kind wasn't salty to me.

I'm really dumb. XD I googled the flavors because I couldn't remember what kind but I knew it was caramel-y. ...It was likely salted caramel. derp. :p

Dill pickle flavored potato chips.
Ohhhh my god yessss.

And an "unusual" snack that I eat is that I eat cold dill pickles and dip them in peanut butter.
Mmmm.

That is super wacky, Bear! XD I've never even heard of that. Then again, peanut butter goes well with a lot of things, so, I might be open to trying that with pickles. I much prefer cold pickles, except when they're sliced and put on a burger. Those are the only two places I like them, lol.

Something I'm not fond of in recent years are the different Oreo flavors. I like regular and double stuf. But all these odd flavors they keep coming out with are too sweet. Like you bite into it and are literally overwhelmed with the taste of sugar. I've tried the banana split, the watermelon, the pumpkin spice, and cotton candy. All of them left me feeling sick after only one or two. Although... like I said. I'm kind of gullible about this sort of thing, so, I really wanna try the strawberry milkshake, cookie dough, and rice krispie treat ones. XD

oreo24f-2-web.jpg

Hmmm I'm not one much for buying unusual treats as I am one to make them myself. I honestly prefer home-made munchies to things bought at a store. Nine out of ten times all I can ever taste in store bought snacks is nothing but the sheer amount of preservatives in them which kills it for me. XP Aside from the fact I will readily admit I'm a stickler when it comes to finances and won't splurge when it comes to the grocery store. I only ever buy what I need with maybe once in a great while buying something I want.

But for the sake of this topic and not actually getting TOO far off topic...I'd say the 'oddest' snack I've ever had was when a friend convinced me to put peanut butter onto an Oreo cookie. It was alright...again all I could taste was the preservative in the Oreo sadly but it was decent enough to say the least.

As far as unusual home made foods go....most of the time I mix different left overs together for the sake of not having the same exact thing over and over and being able to avoid having to cook really late at night [[bleh night shift]].

Mixing pepper steak with chicken cordon bleu was actually very tasty! And when I say mix I literally do mean stirring it all up in a bowel together and heating it in the oven. XD

swedish-fish-oreos-364x205.jpg

This regional little gem is pretty cool. It is only being sold at Kroger grocery stores. (At least for now) It has a strong Swedish fish taste and a soft chocolate taste. Kind of weird at first, but pretty tasty.​

Has anyone tried the newest Lays? They're called "global" or something.

extra-fritolay-825x520-1200x630.jpg

The Greek on is my favorite because it reminds me of sour cream and onion with that heavy Tzatziki flavor. The Chinese one is a little spicy and the Brazilian flavor is sort of meaty. Have not tried the Indian one.

9 times out of 10, I love Lays chip flavors when they go weird because the getting them and trying them is the fun part and very few have actually been "disgusting" to me. Mac and Cheese, Garlic Bread, and Biscuits and Gravy are my absolute favorites. The others in those groupings I was not a big fan of, like the Gyro, Reuben, Truffle Fries, Mango Salso, Ginger Wasabi, Chicken and Waffles, and Cappuccino.

Some of the oriental supermarkets where I live sell Dried Sliced Beancurd it doesnt look the most appetising but it has so much flavour to it and a unique texture...definately a delight to snack on

Oh man, those tzatziki chips sound AMAZING. It actually sounds like a good chip flavor, too, not like some of those 'Full dinner plate with sides!' flavors.

The Lays Indian Tikki Masala flavor goes hard. It's my favorite right after the Tzatziki!

Other snacks I love include:
- Watermelon seeds
- Green (unripe) mango with this Filipino shrimp paste. The sour, sweet, and salty somehow work together really well. I can't explain it. This is it.
- Mangonada (a Mexican fruit drink with chamoy sauce, mango, lime, chili powder, and spicy tamarind)
- Shrimp crackers/chips

A lot of my unusual snacks are favorites because I grew up eating them; Asian snacks tend to have a lot of strong flavors, though, so I'm not really sure if I'd recommend them to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom