Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Thief and the Guard. (Nadie and Kaira)

Megitsune

Pulsar
"Come on, hurry up."

The rough male voice said in the darkness. "I'm going as fast as I fucking can." another male voice snapped back as he continued what he was doing. He worked the lick with his tools, swearing under his breath. "Fucking piece of shit." he muttered. It was another ten minutes before he finally got the lock. His partner rubbed his hands in anticipation at what was behind this door. This haul was going to make them both rich. Finally, he was going to get out of this miserable life and he will be swimming in wealth, and women.

They slowly opened the door and made their way to the safe. His partner grabbed for the safe handle, planning on working it's lock, but the safe handle clicked and it opened. "Huh?" he opened the safe all the way to reveal it was empty. "The fuck? It's empty!!" he said and his companion shoved him aside. "It can't be!! We saw him place the stash in here!!" he said, barley able to keep quiet.

"Oh sorry boys." A female voice spoke in the shadows. "Looks like you are late to the party." The man growled. He knew that voice "Dellis. I told you this was my hit." he said through clenched teeth. "I didn't see your name on it." Dellis countered , her smirk evident even in her voice. "God dammit, come out here and stop hiding like a coward!" he said then felt a presence behind him. He turned and looked down to see Dellis, her features visible in the moonlight coming from the window, the open window. "How the hell did you get up here that way?!?! I looked around for hours and couldn't find a good way to use the window." the man's partner said then was met with a whack upside the head. "It doesn't matter how she got up here. She has our loot. Come on, we can get it from her easy." he chuckled, cracking his knuckles as he stepped up to Dellis.

Dellis just sighed. they always misjudge her. The man lunged for her but Dellis easily side stepped him, tripping him in the process and causing him to crash into a suit of armor that was on display. "Oh shit. That's gonna wake up a few people." Dellis said then leaped over the second man who charged low towards her and kicked him in the back of the head. She landed on the window ledge and turned to blow a kiss as the two men who were trying to get to their feet. "See ya boys, have fun in jail~" she said then grabbed the rope she used to repel from the roof and started to slide down then let go a just a few feet from the ground. She looked around, not seeing anyone nearby but she was confident no one was around. After all, the two men were sure to have caused enough commotion to give her a nice distraction to sneak away. But sometimes, she can be too confident for her own good.

The scratching of the leather boots at her feet on the cobblestones was the only sound she could hear that night, the majestic full moon silhouetted in the black sky casting its shimmering rays on her raven head. Her plump lips quivered for a couple of seconds, then parted in a yawn that she swiftly covered with a gloved hand.

Patrolling the richest district of the city was always a boring chore. Few burglars had the guts and the skills necessary to attempt something at the expenses of the many affluent and influent individuals who lived in the area. Such was her duty, no matter how annoying it was. And there she was, Liya Ashwood, diligently patrolling the streets at night.

Of course, there was Dellis. The blasted woman had been a thorn in her side for a few years now. They kept running into each other and the thief kept vanishing as if escaping was as natural as breathing. And right when she was thinking that she would have seen Dellis again soon, she heard a commotion coming from the mansion at the end of the road she was following. Immediately she drew the blade from the scabbard dangling from her left hip.

"Who goes there?" a male voice called from the darkness of a nearby alley. The man appeared a moment later, stopping beside one of the lit braziers along the main path. A fellow guardsman. Someone Liya didn't recognize.

"You go around. I'll cover the main entrance!" she yelled while she gestured towards the back of the mansion.

She began running towards the front, her athletic body carried forward by powerful and elegant movements in unison, hoping that her simple strategy would have been enough to catch whoever had caused the ruckus that had alerted her. That assuming that it wasn't a false alarm. Perhaps a stray dog who had tipped something over, or even a mere domestic accident late at night. Her instincts, however, suggested that wrongdoers were afoot.

She almost produced a smile as she spotted the two men attempting to flee the scene, pleased to see that -- once again -- her instincts were right. Liya arrived just when they were about done climbing over the wrought iron gate.

"Halt! Step down and don't move. Don't even breathe, or the next thing I'll do is cut you both," she threatened as she raised her blade in midair to make her point even clearer.

"I fucking knew it!" one of the criminals shouted. "Fucking Dellis! If it wasn't for her, we would be halfway across the city now!"

She sighed silently as she heard the name, her stormy eyes losing their usual vivacity. She should have guessed that the bloody woman would have been involved in a burglary in that district of the city.

"Where is she?" Liya asked knowing that that it was a rhetorical question.

"Fuck if I know! Gone, I guess. That little bitch!" the thief replied.

Perhaps her colleague would have gotten lucky and he had already caught Dellis. Wishful thinking, obviously. Dellis was too smart, too fast. She was already long gone, it was certain. Regardless, Liya was tempted to leave the two transgressors unguarded and go after her nemesis. In the end, her sense of duty kept her rooted in place.

It's only a matter of time. It's only a matter of time, Dellis, she repeated in her frustrated psyche.

Dellis sneaked down the ally between a few houses down. She was just about to make it to the outer wall until she heard a voice.

"Halt!" the male guard said. "Oh butts!" Dellis thought then turned and put on her innocent demeanor. "Oh, evening officer. What seems to be the problem?" she said cheerfully. The guard approached her, sword out. "Why are you here so late? he asked.

"Oh I ummm..." she stammered. She didn't have a good story planned since she didn't think those two morons would arrive so soon. But Dellis was good in a pinch. "I am here too..." Dellis feigned embarrassment. "See my lover. He wanted us to meet in secret. Since I am a simple commoner." the guard seemed to believe the story, for about two seconds.

"Who is your lover?" he asked. "Uhhhhh...I-It's ummm....." she said then sighed. "Oh frag it all." she said then in one swift movement she reached into her pocket and tossed a makeshift flashbang, temporarily blinding the man. Dellis bolted and made her way through the street and turned the corner, only to collide with her fellow thieves who where already apprehended. While it appeared like Dellis make a stupid mistake. But in reality this was all part of her plan she hatched while talking with the guard.

As she flailed around with the two she discreetly placed a fair share of the stash she was holding into each of the man's pockets. The darkness and scuffle masking her action and leaving Dellis with no evidence of her involvement in the theft. Now the only thing she had to do was sweet talk the guard, saying she was just on an late night walk after meeting her lover. After the male guard got his vision back he caught up and helped get the three untangled.

Now, all three sat on the ground with their hands tied. Dellis cursed under her breath when she spotted Lyia. "Wonderful. Of all the guards in all the city, it just had to be Miss Ice Pop lady to have caught these morons." she thought then just stayed silent, for now. She had known the woman ever since she was just a begger on the street. Lyia had been the first person to have arrested her, when she was caught with other thieves trying to pull a heist. She always found the woman to be as cold as ice with a big stick up her ass, hence the colorful nickname she had for the officer.

The owner of the stolen loot had come out and approached the group, in his gaudy jewel encrusted robe. "I demand answers!!" he barked. "What on Earth is going on here?"

Back
Top Bottom