Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Forgotten Desires (The Duchess & Mr. M)

"I suppose you're right," he mused. Although... he'd been talking to her reasonably easily to her these past few months. But he didn't dwell on that. "I'll be honest, though: I have the chamber to host the party, but I haven't a clue how to manage it. Have... that is to say.. do you happen to have any experience with events?"

He didn't know why he was shy... expressing a weakness before his slave? But he'd already expressed some failings before, and she hadn't reacted poorly. He felt he was getting comfortable with her. It took him a while to summon up the term -- trust -- but he was developing that with her. But this wasn't an embarrassment issue it was... he was asking her for a favor, to volunteer some assistance separate from that which he asked of her. And that made him a bit shy, so he ducked his head as he spoke, inadvertently.

She looked at him and tilted her head slightly to look at his face and smiled lightly," i know how to decorate for humans, i have to say that vampires might be a different story, well since there will be many attending this, we are going to have to move some seating in as well as a few candles, make it look a little eerie " she said quietly and extended her leg out slightly watching him ," how was it at the last one? or did you pay any attention to detail? or if you really want to scare them all off leave the room empty and make them all stand ." she smiled at him and closed her book, figuring this was more important anyway.

He hemmed a bit, a small vocal noise just short of clearing his throat. "Actually, the... candles and empty room was the route I went last time. They stayed for days. I... suppose I had better think about it tactically. Give them a nice time, but nothing too spectacular, something pleasant but boring. I have no idea what that would be. But somehow." He sighed, and sat next to her, his hand almost instinctively seeking hers, to hold gently as he sat and tried to think.

Her heart leapt almost when he did that and it was a small gesture like that, that she loved the most and made her heart soar. It was almost like he had to hold her in someway to think and she didn't mind that, she was used to sitting in silence with him for hours until he had to sleep or if she fell asleep, she brought his hand up and gently kissed his knuckles lightly letting her lip linger there against his cold skin," mm what ever you decide, im sure they would like it, or hate it... don't think it matters much" she smiled and placed her book on the table lightly.

When she kissed his hand, he felt a surge of emotion. As usual, it was something he was poorly-equipped to interpret. Was a time, he'd deal with the confusion through violence and inflicting pain, but he had no interest in doing that to Charis. So he merely felt it, and watched her.

His thoughts did turn back to the party, soon enough, and he sighed. "The real reason I went so bare and creepy last time is because I have no conception of what I need to do to make an event. Most of the others live a mockery of a human life, they have pets and social engagements and go to the theater and all... I gave that up centuries ago. I'm something of a hermit among my kind, and even I must go out and tend my concerns almost nightly. But I waste no effort in keeping up with the mortal world. Therefore, I have no idea what would make a good party. This is why I need your assistance. You may only know how to decorate for humans, but that's what most of them pretend to be. I'm more of a plain-speaking monster, but that doesn't help me in this instance."

She nudged him lightly and looked at him her nose wrinkling slightly at him " please stop referring to yourself as a monster, you know what you have to do to survive and that doesn't make you a monster" she stood then still holding his hand and stood in front of him looking down at him " i will help you with the party , you know i will" she smiled down at him and moved her other hand to gently touch his cheek and graze her thumb over the bone gently before leaning down and kissing him gently on the forehead before pulling back slowly to look at him, she looked at the clock on the wall and frowned lightly " its almost dawn."

When she admonished him not to call himself a monster, he shook his head. "You don't understand how much of a monster I am. I may still be a man, somewhere inside, thanks to you, but I am still a beast, also. The human world will call me monster, and I am not afraid of the name. Just because you can see there's more to me than that, doesn't mean it goes away." He smiled gently, though, to show he wasn't angered by her statements.

When she said she would help, he smiled gratefully, actually showing his teeth, albeit in a restrained manner.

And when she mentioned the time, he checked his watch. "Oh, dear. You're right." He glanced over at the door, saw that it was secure, and then stood and kissed Charis. "I shall return at nightfall," he said quietly. And then... then he spread himself into the air, becoming vapor, and flowed down the hall and through the cracks around the door where his coffin was secured. Moments later, he was in repose for his day.

She kissed him back and just about jumped out of her skin when he turned to vapor and floated around her, she could feel it and that sent chills up her spine making her shiver, she looked back down the hall and bit her lip slightly before sitting down and sighing softly, decorating for a vampire get together, she never thought she would be doing that in her life time, she leaned back in the chair and watched the fire for about an hour and looked at the door, she greatly wanted to go out into the sun and walk in the parks, but that door was completely shut and she couldn't budge it even if she wanted to, she got up and pushed that thought from her mind and moved back towards her room and sat on her bed rubbing her neck lightly before she started to hum to herself a little song that her old master used to sing to her when she was rather young and soon she sung herself to sleep.

Over the next week and more, they began to prepare. They spent a couple of nights planning, then began to discreetly purchase the necessary decor and supplies. It became almost commonplace for them to leave the chambers together shortly after arising, and meet up back at the door when the mortal world began to feel the lateness of the hour. He ceased locking her bedroom door, meaning she could arise before him and handle her own daily care, so she was frequently ready to go out by the time he emerged from his chamber.

After the first week, they opened up the sealed chamber down the tunnel and began to clean it out and decorate it. It was a difficult job, as it had been decades since the space had been visited, but superhuman strength and speed has additional benefits outside of combat.

After working so closely with Charis during the week, he began to have visions in his daily rest. It took him several days to remember they were called "dreams," it had been so long since he'd had any. He saw her, and himself, in ancient settings, but the images were fleeting and impressionistic, and he could glean nothing from them. He would awaken feeling confused and agitated, but also somehow happy, and he understood that least of all.

She had fun working with him and really saw some of his abilities while they worked, she had him move furniture and had him hold her up so she could get to the top places and mostly hang what was large heavy drapes over the stone walls a deep red suited perfectly for this, and in the end it looked like a formal living room she smiled and pulled her hair up letting a few curls hang down as she stood there smiling " well they will all be here tomorrow and its finally finished" she smiled and reached down taking his hand lightly and holding it while looking around the room, smiling at their work, he had often came for her in the morning with a happy but troubling look on his face and she had always wanted to ask him what was wrong but he always rushed her to get started so she never got the chance, she looked at him and spoke softly " something has been troubling you these past two weeks, i would greatly like to know what it is if you are willing to share" she said and held his hand a bit tighter .

He had also been pleased with how it came together. They didn't have to worry about the "refreshments," as he had already been in contact with Ivan to ensure that he would be taking care of that. At her question, he considered carefully before he answered. "I have been... I believe I have been dreaming. Or perhaps remembering. Things either imagined or forgotten, whether purposefully or simply through time, I do not know. I see you in my dreams, dressed as in ancient times. And it seems right. What I do not understand is how that can be, really. You are not immortal, you have track of your life from childhood to now. So it must be a fancy of my imagination. But it... it nags at me, that image. I don't know what to make of it, or why it's important. But it is, somehow." He looked up at her with soulful eyes, though he had no soul to speak of, as far as he knew. "That is what has been troubling me, I'm afraid. I don't know if that will help, but that's what it is."

Looked at him and listened before considering what he thought, she figured it was just him imagining her like that but what ever it was she was flattered that he was dreaming of her at the very least, she came closer and kissed his hand softly and gazing at him " i am very flattered that you are dreaming, or imagining me while we are apart but don't think about it to much, its normal to dream or imagine things Micheal so don't let it bother you" she said and smiled warmly to him and turned to look it over "mmm i would imagine that your quests will be here tomorrow , i have been meaning to ask, do you want me to stay in my room or be by you during the party " she asked knowing that there might be many and one might slip and go into his home where she would be.

The same thoughts were on his mind, as well. "There are ways to lock the door so that even I may not enter without you making it possible. But there are those with the power to mimic voices, it's not that hard of a skill. No, sadly, I think the safest place for you would be actually at the party, where I can watch over you." He looked at her very seriously. "At the party, you will see how my kind can be. You will see, most likely, the evil we're capable of. I just want you to be warned about that."

He wasn't looking forward to her seeing the others... or more accurately, to her being seen. But it was something he would have to cope with, for her safety.

Looked at him and noting his worry and she understood why she gripped his hand lightly and nodded " then i will need something nice to wear " she said dryly, she could handle him he was rather easy because of his affection for her, but she wasn't sure she was going to be able to fend off a group, she would have to glue herself to him the entire evening and they were going to have to go over a few things that she was to do, but what did he care what they thought of him? would it be so bad as to actually have affection for your food? these questions rolled in her head but she didn't speak them, she kissed his hand lovingly and smiled at him before turning to leave the large and decorated room , she would need to go out on her own for a bit to find something nice to wear for this party, she hated to ask him and she wanted him to come, but the sun would be up soon and she was worried about him being out in it , with what he has told her, he could go out in it but he would be weak.

He looked up at her and nodded. "Very well. You should go out to the shops, then." He walked with her back to their chambers. "It'll be light soon, and I should rest for the day, be ready for tomorrow evening. But you, you're under no such constriction." He nodded. "You need to spend some time in the sun."

In the library, he went to a small box and withdrew a large roll of currency, which he pressed into her hands. "When you get back, the door will be ajar, and you can lock it conventionally. Go out. Enjoy your day." He did not say it was because, if things went wrong, she might never see another one.

Smiled at him and nodded slowly as she reached up and touched his cheeks lightly and gave him a soft kiss to his lips " sleep well Micheal i will be waiting for you when you wake up" she said and smiled lightly before giving him another kiss then turned leaving through the door easily and looked back at him, she put the money in a secret pocket in her dress and moved through the tunnel using his markers as he intended them to be used, she climbed the stairs lightly and opened the door and she gasped at the sun light and smiled brightly, she walked out and closed the door with out anyone noticing, she squinted her eyes and breathed softly at the warmth she felt, she closed her eyes and breathed in the morning air and instantly started to walk down the street, she tilted her head and saw a park and instantly moved to sit down on a bench, she had all day to spend on the surface but she was tired from being up all night, she just enjoyed the spring air and listened to the birds and the wind whip through her hair a large smile on her face, she spent close to two hours just sitting there ignoring the onlookers, she didn't look like a high class woman her hair down in a long array of red curls making her look pleasing to the eyes, her green eyes spotted a barber shop and she easily stood up and so it began. It was almost dusk before she moved down the stairs and secured the door making sure she wasn't followed, she walked and entered the door and closed it behind her and locking it, she stood in the study and looked down at herself for one last look, she wore a deep green dress with signs of black and cream colors mixed in, it was long sleeved and showed her long neck, her red hair was done up into intricate patterns and letting a few strands hand down at the back of her neck, her make up was done and appropriate for the time with a little gold chair adorning her bare neck with a small green stone hanging from it, she sat in the chair facing away from him waiting for him to wake.

He knew she was there before he solidified into physical form, the mist from his gaseous state coalescing to turn him from cloud to specter to solid. What he hadn’t been prepared for was how gorgeous she was, with her new dress and her hair styled, and the jewelry set just so. She was breathtaking, and he let it show in his face how awed he was as he stepped around the chair and got a good look at her.

“You look wonderful,” he said at last. “Regal as a queen.” He tilted his head at her, quizzically. “Did you get any rest at all today, or was it all shopping and beauty treatments?” He was worried that she would get in trouble at the party already, he didn’t want fatigue to be a factor. But then again, once surrounded by the living dead, he hoped tiredness would be banished from her mind by sheer self-interested caution.

Looked up at him and smiled letting a light rosy blush come to her cheeks as she piddled with her dress lightly " i spent most of the day in the park feeling the sun and the warmth of spring, it wasn't until the afternoon that i started to get ready, but i won't be tired, i will just sleep a little longer when everything is over" she said and stood up in front of him her heels making her a bit taller than she was, she smiled at him and brushed a red lock from her face before leaning over and kissing him softly careful not to get the lipstick that was slightly on her lips on him, she held herself like she normally did but there was a straightness that seemed almost discomforting " i hate corsets" she said and wanted to rip the thing off that was squeezing her already thin body a bit thinner," the woman at the store was a cranky old hag with a shrill voice i was scared to say no to a corset, i just wanted to get out of there with everything still in tact" she said and almost laughed but it hurt, she placed her hands on her stomach lightly and nodded hearing foot steps in the near quiet " your quests have arrived".

He nodded; his hearing had detected their approach even before hers. "Yes, I would suppose some have been waiting all day, traveling about in the daylight, comparatively weak as babies, vulnerable, all for the chance of being one of the first. Well, they can squabble over it." He strode back to the hallway, to a closet, and in a few moments had changed into some old-world finery. This was something like what had been the height of formal wear when he had been alive, and it was still impressive, if bizarrely outmoded, but the way he wore it... it seemed almost natural, even impressive.

He offered her his arm, courtly and formal. "You should stay close to me. Given the environment and populace, you may with to pretend subservience, stay to my back... but stay." He could not believe himself, at some level, speaking to her like this, like an equal, like a beloved. It was insane, but... but that's how it had developed. That's how he felt. These words, insane as they were, given the situation, they were appropriate, and right. That in itself was a revelation. But he offered his arm, and prepared to step into the maelstrom.

Nodded slowly and took his arm with one hand and lifted her dress with the other as she walked, once they stepped through the door she was met with the ones who had been there before, she didn't know them at first but when they spoke she knew who they were, Abby strode over to them with Lara behind her both dressed just as elegantly as Charis was" oh my Duke...you certainly have dressed this one up and might I say your as yummy looking as you smell" she grinned showing her teeth before Lara just stared at Charis , Abby looked to her and smiled patting her hands " just have to love a newborn" she said and before anyone could think Lara lurched herself towards Charis but Abby stopped her and pinched her nose tightly making her forget about Charis " your going to have to watch her very carefully Duke" Abby said in a serious tone before pulling Lara away from them and towards the large room that she saw was dimly lit at the end of the tunnel leaving Ivan where he stood.

“I am aware,” he intoned gravely, and followed them toward the gathering chamber. His senses were sharp as he heard the hubbub of conversation from up ahead. He only hoped Ivan had arrived already with the refreshments, or else… ah, yes, there was Ivan up at the doorway, playing host, apparently.

“Glad you could make it,” the other vampire was saying, bowing as guests entered. “Please, partake, but sips only. They have to last the night, after all.” Ivan spied the two of them approaching. “Ah, and it’s the host and his snack. I have to say, good job on the décor, albeit I somewhat miss the ironic antique Spartan setting of last time. But ho! Your food is gorgeous!” He eyed Charis appreciatively.

“She is not my food,” he snapped at Ivan. “She is my… decorating consultant.” Ivan blinked at him in surprise, and he swept them both into the room before he could say another word.

Charis smiled at Ivan slightly and ignored the snack and food comment, she was the approached by a couple other vampires having heard the conversation and started to ask her where she learned to decorate, she was happy to tell them in a calm voice, she didn't seem tired and she was hungry having ate on the surface today she was in high spirits and was surprised that the vampires around her were so nice, tho she did feel hungry eyes on her and whens he turned they were gone possibly over in the feeding area where a few were indulging them selves on the humans that stood there with various bite marks on them, she couldn't help but tighten her grip on his arm as she watched the vampires take sips from all of them, she felt sorry for them all but tried to ignore it but it was almost impossible when one of them screamed from a harsh bite to the wrist, Abby came up to them and grinned a little bit of blood dripping from the corner of her mouth " mmm the humans i would of provided would of been tastier, i load mine up with tones of red meat and wine that the blood is very nice and thick almost rich" she said and stared at charis lightly " almost like yours, i see he has been doing a rather nice job of keeping your blood healthy and you beautiful, sins of the flesh i would imagine" she said and reached up before looking at the duke " im not going to bite her duke" she said before twirling her finger around one of those red locks that hung around charis' ear " mmm she is in good hands duke, i won't let anyone touch her" she said before taking charis' lightly by the arm and separating them she took her over to a couch and sat her down, charis seemed very guarded now her back striaght and her hands tightly gripped at one of the pieces of her dress while Abby talked with her, ost about decorations and about her life, charis didn't mention the growing affections that happened between her and micheal, Abby was rather nice to her and even got a soft laugh to escape her as they both sat there mingling before abby leaned forward and whispered in her ear " you are so tempting dear, he seems to hold affections for you which are your own business but i wonder why he hasn't turned you yet? " she asked and leaned back looking at her with piercing eyes before lara came up behind her and leaned over her " Abby she looks and smells so... delightfully, can i please have a taste?" abby slapped laras head which made her cry out like a child and fall back into a chair " she is off limits Lara" she said and turned back to charis again " you should ask him about what your future is dear, im sure you would find something interesting" she said and stood up and taking her hand lightly and leading her back to the arms of the duke " she isn't damaged i promise " she left them and went back to lara stroking her face softly and rubbing her head where she had hit her.

He kept a watchful eye on here, even with Abby’s assurance. He didn’t trust any other vampire, much less Abby; he knew her too well. She might have even believed she meant well, herself, but she was far too used to playing games with herself and others, to while away the long boring years. Sometimes, he thought Abby was the most manipulative individual he knew, but then he didn’t really know all that many people.

The food was chained to the far wall, mostly quiet and accepting of their fate. They would not last the night, and everyone in the room, including themselves, knew it. At least some of them were dosed; he could smell it from here. Most likely, they had different vices, so they could be sampled for a variety of “flavors.” He didn’t partake; he had fed the night before, sneaking out while Charis was handling the last of the furniture set-up, precisely so that he would not have to deal with the refreshments. Hunting was one thing, but he was starting to feel differently about keeping slaves for food.

“The esteemed Duke!” a relative neonate slurred, wobbling up to him. The vampire had clearly sampled a bit too much of some drunkard’s blood, most likely before he even arrived. “’Tis an excellent party! That’s no fun! Perhaps we’ll have to wreck the place to get some – urk!”

He couldn’t speak anymore because the Duke’s hand shot out and was gripping his throat closed. Which was a little painful and prevented him from speaking, but mostly was just an annoyance. All the same, it caught his attention, which is what the Duke was looking for. “The event may have changed from my last,” he snarled softly, “but I have not. If you disrespect my domain, none will complain when I end your existence and leave your bones for the dogs.”

With that he flung the fool back a few steps, and returned to what he was doing. The other vampire slunk off, and many of the patrons murmured, but it was par for the course with the Duke. He was even behaving better than usual, actually.

She saw the drunken vampire and wondered if that was even possible, she was quiet tho but still felt eyes on her while she stood there, she bit her lip lightly and came over to him and put her hand on top of the one that she could get to, she held it lightly and covering it with her dress as best she could, tho some might see it but he needed to calm himself he was after all the host, she finally turned around catching the red stare of a vampire nor far off in the room, he had sandy blond hair and slightly tanned skin and was rather powerful and important looking, she stared for a moment then blinked and he was gone, she gripped the dukes hand tighter and turned to look at him again with obvious worry on her face but she said nothing just stood beside him .

He smiled at her as she came close again, gripping her hand. His face and demeanor were entirely calm by the time she came to him; his violent outburst was no less normal to him than breathing still was to her. "So, what did Abby have to tell you? I do not trust... well, any of them, but it can be educational."

The blonde-haired, dusky-skinned vampire passed nearby. He sensed it, and let his gaze flicker to the man. Cassius; older than him, and with more power and influence. He didn't like the way Cassius was looking at his woman... property, he had to remind himself. She was a slave, property, not a lovemate or equal. He had to keep reminding himself of that.

Back
Top Bottom