Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Reality TV

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
What do you think of reality TV? Do you like those kinds of shows? Why or why not? If so, which ones?

My favorites are Big Brother and anything with Gorden Ramsay. I always tune in every summer to the latest Big Brother and the first week, I hate everybody and I always think, "This one's gonna suck! None of these doofuses are memorable at all! They all look like they came from Jersey Shore!" But then by episode 2 or 3, I'm in there and all, "Oh no! Don't do it, Frankie! D: They'll vote you off!"

Kitchen Nightmares is good for a laugh and Hell's Kitchen is okay, but honestly, by the black jacket team and still people are screwing up the fish and I'm like, "What the hell, man? Put the crack pipe down or something! How many weeks have you been doing this, dude? Serious! >8U " So...I much prefer Master Chef. The main show is pretty great because these people are like you and me - like that little parsley leaf I put on the mac and cheese, or the extra drizzle of chocolate syrup on the sundae that falls artfully over the side and I'm like, "Yeah, I could do it. I so could!" But then...there's Master Chef Junior. O. M. G. Buncha cute little shits and the chefs get so adorable catering to and entertaining these kids. And some of them are freaky amazing! It's like, "you couldn't see above the counter for the regular show! how do you know what filet mignon is???"

Honestly I was never one much for Reality TV, especially now a days. Most of the stuff is overly dramatic and you can tell it's scripted to happen. I know the intended purpose is to draw the audience away from their own problems in life and have them instead think about all the crazy stuff going on in these other people's lives instead in order to make themselves feel better. It's a psychological thing, if you can see someone having a worse time than yourself it often leads people to suck it up and move forward rather than continue to throw themselves a pity party. Same thing could also be applied to Soap-Operas or any show/series in general with very compelling characters and story.

But in all honesty Reality TV has left a bad taste in my mouth and all I see whenever I come across a show is a bunch of people who are being paid to act like morons in front of a camera. It's not that good of acting and rather than be cast as an actual character, a persona like you see in other shows, these people are giving the impression what you are seeing is actually THEM as an individual and NOT the persona of a character. I find it rather distasteful personally.

Of course this is all based off the fact my experience with Reality TV is very limited so my perception on this topic could be very convoluted/bias because of my weak exposure to the genre.

The only thing I WILL say I USE to like was Survivor when it FIRST came on. Not sure if that is Reality TV or considered a Game Show but the first 4 seasons I loved. After that it lost its charm. Of course Survivor first aired I remember when I was a child...in 3rd or 4th grade actually....damn...now I feel really old XD.

Yeah, I think that is a really limited view of the genre, since it's not all drama-filled or people acting like morons just to be on TV - not any more than any other show with a story. It describes a genre of TV where they present it with the intent of "reality" where people interact with and are conscious of being on a TV show. I'd count Survivor as a part of it but game shows are their own thing, to me, personally, because they often involve specific games and a studio audience. Things like Big Brother and Survivor focus on a more social aspect between the players and have their own vein of "reality tv."

I'm personally not bothered at all by the unreality of reality tv. Yeah, it's scripted. And? I don't think there's anyone in this day and age who doesn't realize the "illusion" of "perception = reality" especially with Youtube vloggers being so prominent. It's a different style of storytelling in my opinion. Are some of the shows pandering to the lowest denominator? Sure. But so are some cartoons nowadays, so are some sitcoms. There's kind of something for everybody. Like, my mom watches those reality shows about the gold diggers in Alaska, which still focus on the social aspect of people's lives and the drama of things not going right or people acting out for the camera, but you learn a bit as well and get to see, an albeit guided, view of the lifestyle and career these people chose.

Hmmmm, I suppose when I hear the term "Reality TV" I immediately think of unscripted and very raw footage of events taking place in similar fashion to what we see on live stream footage on the news or through the dash-cams of police cars. Of course there will be some form of editing for content since not all recorded raw material is suitable to be aired on general TV channels. What it comes down to inevitably is the fact I automatically hold the term "reality" with equally "real/fact/unabridged/raw/every day life going on around us."

All in all I believe it is the terminology being used to describe these shows which honestly leads to me shying away as I feel it's not properly labeled. Obviously I know the world is FAR from a black and white concept but even in the mixture of all the grays I still do look for things which are more easily identified than others.

And yes I do agree with you on the concept of some of these shows as the one you mentioned your mom watches holding some true value to them as you do learn things from them even if the people in the show are paid to act certain ways from time to time in order to draw in a larger viewing audience. I know my father has a liking for the show "American Pickers" as he enjoys the nostalgic aspect of seeing all these items which bring back memories of a time when he was growing up or during his parent's time growing up.

My mother absolutely adores several different shows on HGTV which I THINK could be classified as Reality TV since they involve people buying and flipping houses to sell, the obstacles they face to get the property ready for buyers and the like. There was a time when I took a liking to a show called "Dirty Jobs," and another called "Paranormal Witness." I like creepy things and I do believe in ghosts so that series caught my eye for awhile. I did spend some time watching another show called "Ghost Hunters," with the T.A.P.s for a bit as well. Other than those few shows aside from Survivor, I enjoyed for awhile.

I have taken a peek at two other shows, "Fatal Attractions" and "Monsters Inside Me." But I have a feeling those are more along the lines of docu-dramas than Reality TV.

As far as actual Reality TV goes...what would be some good shows you would recommend? Aside from a select few I get the distinct impression I've only been exposed to the "Low end quality" of the genre.

Again, as I said, the "reality" of reality tv doesn't refer to actual reality, hence the "tv" on the end there. It is a sensationalized version, a style of programming that strongly differs from the stage and set acting of regularly scripted shows.

From wiki:

Reality television is a genre of television programming that documents supposedly unscripted real-life situations, and often features an otherwise unknown cast of individuals who are typically not professional actors, although in some shows celebrities may participate. It differs from documentary television in that the focus tends to be on drama, personal conflict, and entertainment rather than educating viewers. Reality TV programs also often bring participants into situations and environments that they would otherwise never be a part of. The genre has various standard tropes, including "confessionals" used by cast members to express their thoughts, which often double as the shows' narration and competitive elements. Reality TV shows often have a host who asks questions to the participants or comments on the participants. In competition-based reality shows, a notable subset, there are other common elements such as one participant being eliminated per episode, a panel of judges, and the concept of "immunity from elimination."

Documentary is sometimes a part of it, as a sub genre. Also, please note the parts I bolded. Reality TV, although for some reason getting a worse rep than regular scripted television for its pure entertainment driven stories, generally has no educational value. They are inexplicably counted as "trashy" because of the lack of substance or value, which is odd, because I don't know why the rest of TV counts, lol.

Well, aside from the ones I mentioned in the OP, some I would recommend might or might not be in syndication any more, since everything I watch is mostly online. I very rarely watch actual aired TV.

So, some of my favorites over the years have been

The Apprentice(get a look at Donald Trump before all this Presidential business started)
American Idol/X-Factor/America's Got Talent(the auditions are the best part)
Punk'd(if you like pranks)
Toddlers and Tiaras(if you want to watch a trainwreck of parenthood)
Bar Rescue(I <3 Jon Taffer)
Restaurant Impossible(Robert Irvine is like Jon Taffer and Gordon Ramsay had a baby...who wears hunky, form-fitting shirts)
The Crocodile Hunter
Mythbusters
Trading Spouses
Hoarders
The Amazing Race
Scare Tactics
Ghost Hunters
Skin Wars
Cash Cab

There's more but going through the list on wiki, I realize I don't actually watch a whole lot of reality TV and a great bulk of it does seem to be person based or what I consider to be ridiculous relationship driven game shows.

I dunno. When I see all those spotlights, cameras, the yelling crowd and a load of egotistical idiots with varying degrees of plastic surgery plus obligatory hair extensions and can barely discern faces beneath a wall of makeup, I just think.....no! Life is precious and way too short for this! :rolleyes:

Rudolph Quin said:
From wiki:

Reality television is a genre of television programming that documents supposedly unscripted real-life situations, and often features an otherwise unknown cast of individuals who are typically not professional actors, although in some shows celebrities may participate. It differs from documentary television in that the focus tends to be on drama, personal conflict, and entertainment rather than educating viewers. Reality TV programs also often bring participants into situations and environments that they would otherwise never be a part of. The genre has various standard tropes, including "confessionals" used by cast members to express their thoughts, which often double as the shows' narration and competitive elements. Reality TV shows often have a host who asks questions to the participants or comments on the participants. In competition-based reality shows, a notable subset, there are other common elements such as one participant being eliminated per episode, a panel of judges, and the concept of "immunity from elimination."

Documentary is sometimes a part of it, as a sub genre. Also, please note the parts I bolded. Reality TV, although for some reason getting a worse rep than regular scripted television for its pure entertainment driven stories, generally has no educational value. They are inexplicably counted as "trashy" because of the lack of substance or value, which is odd, because I don't know why the rest of TV counts, lol.

Ahhh okay. I see what you are saying. Again I do apologize for my lack of understanding aside from being rather hung up on definitional terms of the word "reality." Thank you for point this out for me, much appreciated!^^

And I certainly agree with your view of Reality TV actually getting a worse rep verses other fictional TV shows when both can certainly hold a lack of educational value or suffer from poor plot development/writing/bad acting. I think the reason behind this...people know when they watch a show such as....Gray's Anatomy for example...it's a work of fiction from the start. When something is known as fiction from the start the rules for such things seem to differ regarding it's value BECAUSE it's fiction. The general populace doesn't exactly appear to equate anything fiction related with being remotely substance or educational. It's just pretty eye candy and meant to make you forget about your trouble for anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours depending.

If something is classified as "Reality TV." Again, I think the general misconception is the same one I had at the beginning of this conversation. People hold it in a different tier verses what they do works of fiction. Well, a decent number of people. I know I'm one of those weirdos who will pick apart particular works of fiction..especially for the lore...and to see how it matches up to any pre-existing versions of itself such as books or comics, even games. But, I digress, after I pick it apart I don't toss it out the window instead I merely consider it an A.U. verse to the other versions and thus have my own reasons for enjoying it.

Save, sometimes the writing/directing is so bad I only watch it for a specific aspect I really need to be in the mood for....or I find it so horrible its actually funny as to how bad it is. Sharknado went overboard on this concept sadly. The first one was a classic case of so-bad it was good. Same could be said of the second one...after that it began to feel more gimmicky than "so bad it's good." The latest installment I watched just to see how cringe worthy it was....perhaps if it was an anime or even a comic-book/manga I could have tolerated it more. But in my opinion the directors and writers tried WAY too hard to make the "so bad it's good" spot again.

Getting back to actual Reality TV shows then...pardon my wandering mind on the subject....

I remember watching Mythbusters from time to time...I did enjoy them both for the science aspect of it plus the theatrics. I liked watching things explode XD.

Crocodile Hunter was one of my favorite shows as a child despite the fact my father constantly complained about how annoying Steve was and how stupid he was for wrestling with crocs. I loved seeing the animals and he did give a decent amount of facts about them too.

My folks use to watch Cash Cab when it first came on...that and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Toddlers and Tiara's.....in all honesty I see enough that drama in real life around where I live....people just don't know how to be decent parents ><

But the other shows I'll certainly take a gander at when I have some time...I think a majority of them can be found on Netflix.

Thanks again Rudolph! Much appreciated!^^

I really enjoy industry-based reality television shows - like, things that theoretically show you a little bit of how someone does their job (even though it obviously isn't the whole picture). Cake Boss, Hell's Kitchen, Project Runway, etc.

Have to say I have a very low view of the idea. My personal feeling, your life really must be sad to find a show that makes you feel better about yourself. My view on the topic, it is just a race to the bottom.

Anthony Bourdain has some good shows. I started watching him so I could add more background details in settings; because cooking and how one eats is important for setting moods.

Cooking competitions are also interesting. And I love a good documentary.

Rudolph Quin said:
Kitchen Nightmares is good for a laugh and Hell's Kitchen is okay, but honestly, by the black jacket team and still people are screwing up the fish and I'm like, "What the hell, man? Put the crack pipe down or something! How many weeks have you been doing this, dude? Serious! >8U " So...I much prefer Master Chef. The main show is pretty great because these people are like you and me - like that little parsley leaf I put on the mac and cheese, or the extra drizzle of chocolate syrup on the sundae that falls artfully over the side and I'm like, "Yeah, I could do it. I so could!" But then...there's Master Chef Junior. O. M. G. Buncha cute little shits and the chefs get so adorable catering to and entertaining these kids. And some of them are freaky amazing! It's like, "you couldn't see above the counter for the regular show! how do you know what filet mignon is???"

Hells Kitchen is probably one of my favourite shows! Its amazing when you see how 'top professional chefs' mess up on basic stuff like not even knowing the grill was turned on x.x. I tend to watch it with friends and we try to guess whos going to win and we make our own little analysis and comments along the way. Ofc some of the best parts are Gordon Ramseys reactions...can never get over the mass capallini binning in season 5/6
'*high pitched* look! *even higher* Look! *Higher still* LOOOKKKK! What the fuck is this?!' XD
Kitchen nightmares is good too, especially seeing the Amys Baking company episode! (Coincidentally I have that on rn)

In UK we also have a show called The Great British Bake Off which is another reality food tv show. A bit more tame but the innuendos in it are so funny. Best one was recently a woman made a gingerbread pub and a sticky toffee cake for the carpet. One of the judges is like a 88 year old lady whos all prim and proper....she looks at it and goes "Hmmm Yeah I'll eat a bit of carpet" XD

But yes....reality tv shows are good :3

Ghost_kitty said:
Hells Kitchen is probably one of my favourite shows! Its amazing when you see how 'top professional chefs' mess up on basic stuff like not even knowing the grill was turned on x.x. I tend to watch it with friends and we try to guess whos going to win and we make our own little analysis and comments along the way. Ofc some of the best parts are Gordon Ramseys reactions...can never get over the mass capallini binning in season 5/6
'*high pitched* look! *even higher* Look! *Higher still* LOOOKKKK! What the fuck is this?!' XD
Kitchen nightmares is good too, especially seeing the Amys Baking company episode! (Coincidentally I have that on rn)

In UK we also have a show called The Great British Bake Off which is another reality food tv show. A bit more tame but the innuendos in it are so funny. Best one was recently a woman made a gingerbread pub and a sticky toffee cake for the carpet. One of the judges is like a 88 year old lady whos all prim and proper....she looks at it and goes "Hmmm Yeah I'll eat a bit of carpet" XD

But yes....reality tv shows are good :3

Seriously! He is so much fun to watch and seems like he'd be a genuinely nice guy to meet in person.

One of my favorite things I've found which should be relevant to those of us here, especially if you happen to like Bar Rescue as well, is this post on Weird Internet I Interrupted Anime Twitter Cybersex Role-play as Bar Rescue's Jon Taffer. Still makes me laugh so hard, lol. XD

Back
Top Bottom