Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Speaking in front of people

Rudolph Quin

Mistaken for some sort of scoundrel
Withdrawn
Are you good at giving speeches? Do you like to talk in front of a large group of people or are you really shy?

I'm alright at it. I get real worked up about it beforehand, not in the sense of "panic attack" but more a hyper awareness and exhaustive preparation. I do much better with written words in front of me and can read aloud fairly well. There's also a measure of pleasure in it, standing up there in front of people and I often adopt a mixture of conversationalist and lecturer tone. So long as I know what to say, there isn't a problem, lol.

i think public speaking really depends on the person, and the atmosphere they're going to be doing it in.

for me, i always start to panic beforehand, and my anxiety goes through the roof, whether i have a pre-written speech to read, or if i'm just winging it. honestly, though, i find i do much better winging it, even though my nerves always tell me otherwise before the initial speech process begins.

it all depends on my mindset. usually, i can force myself to pay attention, and keep my eyes focused somewhere that doesn't make me look like i'm shy, or unable to look whoever my audience is in the face. of course, i'm not usually actually looking at them, but close enough to make it seem that way, but still. i have a way of looking through people, if that makes any sense at all. i can stare in a direction on a busy street, and clearly be looking at several people as they cross my line of view, but i don't actually see or focus on them. so, by using that method, it gets me through a lot, or at least gets me through enough to a point where i feel comfortable to go with it.

i don't do a lot of speaking in front of large crowds anymore, however~

A lot of my working life has involved making speeches to groups of strangers. I always got off on the adrenaline buzz, and I suppose being the centre of attention is always fun! Traditionally I usually wing it - just have some bulletpoints on a piece of paper and improvise from there. The sense of spontaneity always helped build a rapport with the audience, and I could adjust the speech as I went along to suit the requirements.

I'm totally fine talking in front of a bunch of friends, but if I'm like... at the front of a room, talking about something and everyone is quiet, listening, and looking at me, I find that really hard.

I'm fine with it as it forms the greater part of my job. Like others have said, winging it is easiest, and mostly I have no more than a handful of bullet points. If I see pages and pages of pre-prepared spiel, I just know I'm going to forget something so make sure I know what I'm going to say before I open my beak!

I used to feel uncomfortable giving speeches but I feel I've gotten better as I progressed through college. It no longer makes me nervous. I usually wing most of it, but I practice the opening lines to each slide & I often write the main bullet points in a small post it note.

Despite the fact I hate large crowds, I do public speaking very well. I was taught some pretty good ways at dealing with stage fright by a high school teacher who was also a family friend and I've kept what he said in mind any time I'm nervous on stage.

The only thing I don't do well on when speaking in public is reading from a script (as in actually reading aloud) because I have a stutter that becomes more apparent when I'm reading aloud from something. If it's something I'm pulling from memory it isn't so bad, but reading fresh... Ugh. It's embarrassing to fight to get a word out.

As long as I know what to say, I have no issue with it and can even enjoy it. I've done it regularly including in settings considered 'scary' ;)

Last time I gave a public speech, I kinda flipped out and cried because I didn't know what to say in a such a massive audience. That was pretty embarrassing even though it was such a long time ago.

Usually i'm okay with it as long as I have something written down to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom