Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Computer is Dead

Mitsu

Supernova
So my HDD had over 120 bad sectors that it could not reallocate. On Saturday it refused to load Windows. While it does POST, it doesn't seem to want to actually load the OS. I'm guessing that the HDD finally went. This could also possibly be a RAM or DIMM slot issue.

Anyway, to anyone whom it may concern, I won't be around for a while. I'm on my phone now, but I won't be able to use my computer until I get this all sorted out. Being broke as fuck prevents me from quickly ordering shit on Newegg or Amazon.

Ciao.

Yeah, but I didn't really have a working HDD. When it decided to work there was nothing but freezes. None of this matters anymore, because I have a new drive. The downside is that I can't get anything off of the old HDD, because it's crappy and broken. I am now starting anew.

The old one is mechanical, not an SSD, right? Pop it in a freezer in a plastic bag, so as to prevent ice crystals forming. Leave it for a few hours, so as the allow the entire thing (especially the internal platters) to reach freezing temperatures. Pop it back in the computer and move quick. I have no idea why it works, but I've used it several times for a last-ditch file grab. Sometimes there will still be untouchable bad sectors, but hopefully it'll at least show up and allow for some data recovery. Plan out what you want to go for in advance.

I gave your method a shot, but no luck. Transfer speeds are abysmal, and they typically just stop after a few MB. When I got lucky I was able to get maybe a single file over after an hour or two of trying.

Back
Top Bottom