Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Relentless (Reno x Lila Lupin)

Reno

Moon
"The Admiral asked me to express his congratulations, Captain, for the fine work you and your crew did during the incident near Shriverport. I'm told that the Archbishop himself was aboard the ship that you protected from Stewart's dogs." The thin, eagle-faced man in the fine uniform, said as he addressed his subordinate officer.

Captain Peter James Newcastle stood rigid, seemingly unmoved by the praise. "Thank you, Commodore Banning. They're a fine crew," he replied, "If I may ask, sir, was Stewart himself captured or confirmed killed?" Robert "Redeye" Stewart was as bloodthirsty as he was bold, and Newcastle loathed the thought of such a vicious pirate remaining at large, even after his ship had fallen to the sea floor after its run-in with the HMS Wraith.

"He fled like a rat," Banning said with obvious disgust, "but he didn't go far. He was taken from a pub not far from the wharf, and is swinging in the sea winds as we speak."

Newcastle allowed himself a slight smile at that. "A fitting end, Sir," he said, betraying an undeniable satisfaction.

"Your orders, Captain, are to take the Wraith south to Recien Bay for repairs and refitting, and you and your crew will take a well-earned shore leave," the Commodore directed. "You'll shove off as soon as the dock crew finishes her restocking."

Newcastle frowned at that, but knew better than to argue against orders. "Yes, Sir," he said, already dreading the crushing idleness.

"Good work, Captain. That will be all. You're dismissed."

Newcastle saluted, then turned on his heel.

"Oh, one more thing, Peter," The Commodore said, his use of the Captain's given name heralding a personal and unofficial addendum.

Newcastle half-turned and looked back at his former schoolmate and current superior. "Sir?"

"The Domina Malum has been spotted in the seas near Recien. I haven't received any reports of any attacks, but that may change at any time."

The hair on Newcastle's neck bristled. The Domina was Avery Havenguarde's ship, the single and sole quarry that had evaded justice and his grasp. Her captain was as slippery as she was clever, and for four years, her every move had been a personal mockery of his ongoing failure to bring her down.

The seas would boil away to nothing before Captain Peter James Newcastle would sit idly by while that ship danced beneath the tip of his nose…

Avery Havenguarde sighed as she looked out over the deck of the Domina Malum. Her crew members were scurrying about the deck attending to their chores. A gentle salty breeze blew passed her tossing her luscious red hair around her face. This was the life for her. Free on the open sea, not tied down to one place. She wasn't bound by the strict rules and stigmas that came with being a woman. She was free to be who she wanted here. This was her ship and her crew. She took a deep breath of the salty air around her as a large dark skinned man walked up to her.

"It's such a wonderful day." She spoke as she turned her attention towards him. "Wouldn't you agree, Andre?"

"indeed it is, captain." He said with a smile, his deep voice oddly shouting. Andre was Avery's first mate and he was loyal, perhaps to a fault.

Avery smiled at his response. "However something tells me that you didn't come over here to talk about the weather." She said eyeing him seriously.

"No, Captain, I didn't." He said before looking out over the deck. "We're low on supplies, captain." He spoke seriously. "We need to restock."

"What's the closest port we can restock at?" She asked him.

"Recien Bay." His tone was obviously displeased.

"Damn." She leaned on the railing of the ship and placed her head in her hands. "Too many navy men take their leave there for is to just openly dock in the port." She groaned. "We'll have to cast anchor away from the town in a cave or one of the lesser known bays and then take a group into town to restock and bring everything back." She said with obvious disdain.

"We can try to push on to another port captain." Andre suggested. "Tafton is the second closest to is. Were be pushing it but I think we could do it."

Avery shook her head as she stood up straight. "No, I'd rather not risk that." She said with a sigh. "Recien's bay it is. But well have to be careful. I'd rather not get fitted for a rope necklace anytime soon." She said with a smirk.

"Of course, captain." Andre answered. With that Avery have the order to head towards Maker's cave near Recien's bay and were will on their way, completely unaware that none other than Captain Peter James Newcastle was headed in the same direction.

Captain Newcastle stood on the foredeck and stared across the calm sea to the impressively hulking Recien skyline loomed ahead with his executive officer, Lieutenant Commander Jack Sebastian, at his elbow.

Despite of the presence of the legendary Recien Royal Navy Shipyard, the port city itself was a hub of some of the least desirable elements of seafaring society; Mercenaries hired by merchant and trading ships rubbed elbows with smugglers of every stripe. Freelancers brawled in pubs that outnumbered grocers, freebooters walked through the streets as if they were worthy of and welcome in the light of day, and everywhere one looked, he found himself eye to eye with women of the most negotiable affections.

Recien may not have been the most wretched hive of scum and villainy, but with every passing year, it closed the gap a little tighter.

With a resigned sigh, Newcastle nodded to his second, who saluted and turned to bellow down the length of the deck. "Helm!" Sebastian's bark carried clearly to the stern, "take us into the shipyard! Deck crew, prepare to drop anchor!"

With the Wraith moored and his crew gone ashore with a "reminder" to simply refrain from embarrassing themselves or the Navy, Newcastle was alone in his quarters aboard ship when his second knocked on the door.

"Come!" he called, looking up from his logbook when Sebastian entered. "What can I do for you, Jack?" he asked with an almost friendly casualness. With the ship in port and all of the crew, the XO included, on a brief but well-deserved leave, he could afford to loosen the laces a bit.

"The junior officers and I are going ashore now, Captain," Jack said, "We thought you might like to join us for a few pints, sir."

Peter's smile was genuine, but he shook his head. "Thank you, Jack, but no. I haven't been in the big chair for so long that I've forgotten all the wisdom I learned as a junior officer."

Jack tilted his head slightly, his expression making obvious his confusion. "Sir?"

"'Going drinking with the Captain is like going whoring with the priest'," Peter quoted with mildly nostalgic amusement. "Thank you for the invitation, though. Be off with you then, you've got three days' time. don't waste it."

The ship had been all but deserted for nearly two hours by the time Newcastle closed the logbook and returned it to the watertight safe bolted beneath his bunk. When he stepped off the gangway and onto dry land, the world was orange and gold under the sinking afternoon sun, and he could, if nothing else, at least find and enjoy a hot meal.

Avery and her crew had been in Recien bay for three days before the Wraith docked in the shipyard. They'd spent these past few days procuring supplies and taking them back to the ship. Avery would purchase the supplies and a few of her crew members that had accompanied her into ton would take them to another group of crewmembers that were waiting a little ways outside of town who would take the supplies back to the ship. They'd done this for the past three days and were finally fully restocked. Avery had sent the crew back to the ship to ready everything so that they could set sail once she'd finished her private business in town.

Avery quite enjoyed allowing herself a moment to relax away from her crew. She would browse around some of the shops and pick up some thing or another from one of them as a type of souvenir. Sometimes she'd get an article of clothing, a new vest, a nice dress that she could still move in easily, or jewelry or some other trinket. She would then enjoy a nice hot meal, and then return to the ship so that they could continue on with their journey.

As she went about her business she allowed herself to listen in on the conversations taking place around her. Most everything she'd heard throughout the day was useless drabble that didn't pertain to her in the slightest. It was until the day had draw near to it's end that she heard something worth interest to her. Two women who were most likely common street whores were commenting on something they'd heard from recent clients.

"I'm telling you Marci that sailor said there's supposed to be some big mythical treasure up for grabs. This famous pirate is apparently putting it completely up for grabs to anyone that can find it." Said a woman whose voice was akin to the sound of nails being drug across bricks.

"It just sounds too good to be true, Clara." The other woman, who was rather heavy set, said skeptically.

"Well apparently he's only giving them the smallest clue and they have to do everything else themselves." Clara spoke adamantly as she put her hands on her hips.

"Excuse me ladies I hate to interrupt." Avery said as she got the attention of the two women. She looked directly at Clara when she spoke again. "I couldn't help but over hear what you were talking about. Did you say this is open to anyone that can find it?" She asked with a great deal of interest.

"Why yes, ma'am. At least that's what the sailor I met last night said." She responded.

"Did he happen to mention exactly where it was that he heard this information."

"Oh yes, he said he met the pirate in Tafton. Though I'm not quite sure if he'd still be there or not." She said with a shrug.

"Well thank you both so much for your time." She said with a nod before turning to go about her business. "Both of you have a lovely day." She added with a wave as she left to find herself a warm meal.

Avery wandered through the streets for a bit trying to decide exactly what she wanted to eat when she began to take notice to the sudden increase in navy men that were walking the streets. She pulled her hood up and kept her face down so as not to attract attention to herself. She would need to keep her ears open so she could determine just what ship these men came off of, and she'd want to be careful where she ate now because she most certainly didn't want to be caught in the middle of a meal. She did hate having to abandon her food mid meal just to run from a bunch of navy grunts that didn't know just who they were dealing with. She was heading towards one of the nicer pubs that most of the navy men actually stayed away from when she passed by a group of junior officers that were going the opposite direction.

"I never understand why the captain spends so much time on the ship." One of them said.

"I know. He's practically married to the Wraith." On of the others retorted.

Avery's ears perked up when she heard that. 'Did he just say the Wraith?' She thought as she allowed her eyes to follow them for a split second before stopping to 'look' at some of the things that some of the street merchants were selling.

"It's not as though the Captain's bad looking. I'm sure he'd be more than able to find a decent woman to spend his shore leave with." Another junior officer piped up.

"Oh you all know that there are only two women that Captain Newcastle every thinks about." The fourth chimed in. "And that's the Wraith and Avery Havenguarde." He finished. The other three nodded in agreement.

'Well I'll be damned.' Avery thought with a grin as she made sure to keep her face hidden from the officers. She certainly didn't want one of them recognizing her ruining her fun. 'If Peter's here then I just have to have a little fun with him.' She grinned at the thought. With that thought in mind she found herself a nice place to enjoy a meal at that Peter was quite likely to go to as well. In fact, if she remembered correctly, The Iron Queen was one of his favorite establishments to eat at. Though his tastes could have changed since the last time she'd encountered him here in Recien's Bay.

The meal was absolutely wonderful, and she had yet to see her old friend. Well she was quite certain that he no longer considered her to be a friend as he'd spent the past four years trying to bring her to the gallows. Se sighed as she finished her meal and pulled up her hood after leaving the coin on the table. A young couple exited the establishment before her and when the young man held the door open for his love interest it gave Avery a chance to look outside of the pub and see the people entering. Who should be coming up towards the establishment but none other than Captain Newcastle himself. She grinned to herself and kept her head bowed as she exited the establishment. As she began to pass by Peter she pretended to trip, falling right into him. A few locks of red hair fell out around her shoulders and in perfect view. It was at this point that she decided to bait him. After all the best part with him was the chase.

"I'm so sorry, Captain Newcastle." She said as she pulled away from him and began to move around him. At this moment she raised her face and gave him an apologetic smile that quickly turned into a mischievous grin as she quickly wove herself through the people that littered street before quickly disappearing into a back alley. She quickly took her cape off as she entered the alley and quickly stuffed it into her satchel that held her most recent purchase before fastening said satchel. She ducked into an alcove that was slightly hidden from view and waited for Peter to follow her into the alleyway.

When their eyes met, Newcastle's features softened, ever so briefly, with recognition, before his face hardened in righteous rage a heartbeat later. Then she shouldered past him and into the streets, and he fell into a run after her. For every person he spun past or went around, she gained more ground on him, until his anger got the better of him, and the pirate captain could hear him bellowing behind her.

"Make a hole!" Newcastle demanded, and mercilessly shouldered past or bowled over anyone who didn't move out of his way in time, until he found himself at the mouth of the alley, shadowed heavily between the high walls on either side. His naked sword was in his hand now.

"Havenguarde! This is your only chance to surrender," he called into the alley, "I've got you now."

Avery chuckled to herself as she heard him bellowing past the people in the streets. She took this moment to plan her escape. She had known that this alley eventually led to a dead end. However she could turn up here into the next alley and then the turn after that was a dead end. This entire stretch was enclosed by homes and businesses alike. However there were several ways to get out even with the only entrance blocked. You just had to know how to use them, and your timing had to be perfect. She had a knack for seemingly impossible escapes but even she knew it was better not to really entirely on luck. By the time Newcastle entered the alleyway she'd already planned her escape and a back up plan just in case she failed. She snickered as he offered her the chance to surrender.

"Oh Peter." She cooed as she stepped out of the alcove with her hands raised in surrender. "How sweet of you." She said as she slowly took two steps forward. She was perhaps twenty, maybe thirty feet away from him. One wrong move and he'd catch her, but if she played this right she could give him one hell of a chase. "However" She began as she took one more step towards him. "You and I both know that rope necklaces aren't really my thing, Dearest." One final step in his direction. "And we both know what you plan to do with me once you catch me." She said as she began to slowly turn around. Doing her best not to make any threatening gestures. "So we'll just have to cut this wonderful little reunion a little...SHORT!!!" With that she took off in a dead sprint towards the end of the alley way. She cut around the corner and much to her delight saw several boxes stacked on top of one another near the end of the alleyway next to the last turn. She scaled the boxes and jumped to nearby balcony, doing her best to keep as much of her momentum as she possibly could.

Once on the balcony she ran to the other side and used the railing to propel herself to the roof. She took a brief moment to look down at Peter. "Oh let's face it Peter." She said as she turned and ran towards the next roof. "You've never managed to catch me, once in your life!" She shouted with a melodic laugh as she continued to run and jump from roof top to roof top.

Sword still in hand, Peter gave chase, performing far better than Avery would have expected. If anyone had expected that he'd go soft when he was given command of his own ship, they hadn't known him at all. In spite of his larger size, he kept pace with her, and even gradually closed the distance between them.

When Avery led him back down to the streets, it seemed that his relentless hunt was finally coming to an end, and she'd pay for her crimes and her betrayal at long last. His blood sang with the nearness of his prey, filling his body with a primal power that pushed him harder and further than should have been possible.

The heady thrill of pursuit disappeared with an almost audible crack as Captain Newcastle was jerked back from that feral chase by a heavy force crashing into his side, pulling him to the ground.

"'At's enough o' that, matey," the weight resting atop him warned as a meaty hand closed around the wrist of his sword-hand and pinned it to the dirty cobbles. "We know you sailors like tae chase women, but you gone too far."

Newcastle roared his frustrated fury into the sky as he shoved the guardsman off of him with a palm to the chest, sending the man sprawling while the Captain stood and recovered his sword. His uniform was soiled and torn from the tackle now, and his face read like a death warrant.

"You insipid, imbecilic bumpkin!" Newcastle spat as the guard and the crowd of onlookers got their first good look at him and recognized his rank insignia. "That was Avery Havenguarde, you fool, and you've let her escape." He stepped toward the guard, who had gotten to his knees on the way back to his feet. When his eyes fell on Newcastle's gleaming blade, he stopped, halfway up.

"Beggin' yer pardon, Captain, sir," The guard stammered, still staring at the sword, "I din't have time to see who you were ere I..."

"Silence," Newcastle hissed, his voice taking on an odd sound, as if it were echoing in his own throat. The Voice of Command, they'd called it when they'd drilled him mercilessly until he'd mastered it completely as a prerequisite for his Captain's epaulets. The guard ceased his gibbering and the circle of rubberneckers widened around him without so much as a mutter.

Newcastle glanced down at the naked blade in his hand, then at the cowering guard, speculatively. He was sorely tempted, but the admonition that he'd given his crew had come back to him, and he sheathed his sword.

"Consider yourself fortunate that I'm going to consider this the result of your own gross incompetence. Now," the Captain said flatly, "Get out of my sight before I change my mind and have you hanged for complicity."

He turned on the crowd. "All of you, disperse!" he barked, and they hurried to comply, leaving Newcastle standing alone in the only empty crossroads in the entire city, staring in the direction that Havenguarde had disappeared. His eyes narrowed and his fingers curled into tight fists.

She'd slipped away from him this time, but now he had her scent. This was not over yet.

Avery gave a laugh when she heard Peter roar in frustration. She did a quick spin while continuing her escape just to double check that he had indeed been stopped by a guard. Oh this was rich. She was not going to let him live this one down any time soon, that was for certain. Her laughter rang in the air when he shoved the guard off of him and informed him just who he'd allowed to get away. "Better luck next time Peter." She hollered back at him, praying that he and the villagers heard her.

They had indeed heard her and many of the villagers visibly cringed. This woman was perhaps one of the most audacious pirates to every sail the seven seas. Avery had quite the knack when it came to escape her own demise. Peter had actually gotten quite a bit closer than he normally did and she was honestly about to just surrender but then that idiot guard had rammed him and given her the opportunity that she'd needed to escape.

Avery was now leaning against one of the walls of the city catching her breath. A part of her felt bad that the chase had ended the way it had. She hadn't wanted to get caught, but she certainly didn't want Peter to get hurt. She was certain that he was fine. He always was. But she did feel bad that his uniform had been torn. Normally she wouldn't have cared but she'd always had a soft spot for Peter, even when they were young. Especially when they were younger. She never gave any other officer that much of a chance. She never let any other officer get that close, and she would have rather died than let anyone else take her in like that. She never would have considered surrendering to anyone else.

She sighed as she shook the thoughts from her head. She reached inside her bodice as she made up her mind and pulled out a sheet of paper and rummaged in her bag for the ink and quill that she always kept on hand. She quickly penned a letter and neatly folded it into thirds before writing Captain Newcastle on it. She then, quite stealthily, made her way towards the Wraith. A big part of her was shaking its head at her for what she was about to do. She didn't need to do this, and honestly, she probably shouldn't. It was too risky, and while she'd managed to get away earlier her luck would eventually run out. Avery was never really one to listen to reason though, and so she waited for the perfect opportunity and snuck onto the vessel that called Peter its captain.

She knew she wouldn't be able to get all the way to his cabin and back out again without being seen so she walked to the mast that was directly in front of the gang plank, took out the note, a bag of coin, and a dagger. She held the note up to the mast before plunging the dagger into it. She made sure that it was secure before quickly tying the bag of coin to the dagger. She was about to turn around to leave when she noticed that a group of the ships sailors were heading towards the ship.

"Well there goes that idea." She cursed under her breath as she quickly surveyed her surroundings. Only one way out now. She turned and ran towards the edge of the ship furthest from the sailors and hauled herself up onto the railing.

"You there what do you think you're doing." One of the sailors asked her once they noticed her. The young men were running towards the ship in an attempt to catch the bold fool that would dare to trespass on a navy vessel.

Avery turned as she perched on the railing and flashed the men a smile. "I should really quit cutting things so close like this." She said as their faces lit up in surprised recognition.

"BYE GOD!" One of the men yelled as they reached the gangplank. "Is that Avery Havenguarde!?!"

"It most certainly is boys." She said with an almost sweet smile. "However I don't fancy swinging in the wind by neck so I really must be going." She said as she stood up. "Do tell Peter that I send him my love, and make sure he gets my note." She said before diving into the water below. This was a risky move and she knew it, but luck was thankfully on her side once more. She really did need to quit cutting it so close. One day Peter was going to catch her and she doubted he'd be too nice about it.

Avery managed to swim to safety and avoid any more run-ins, be they planned or unplanned, with any navy men. Peter was very unlikely to follow her back to her own vessel now. She'd made good and sure that it would be harder than finding ice water in hell for him to do so. However he wouldn't need to see where her ship went to know where she was going. Her letter would give him a good enough idea. However she imagined that if he was there that he'd been ordered to take shore leave, and she'd never known Peter to be the type to ignore an order. Which would give her at least a few days of a good head start to get to Tafton.

By the time that Captain Newcastle had gotten back to his ship there about ten or twelve of the sailors all surrounding the mast with the letter on it and talking about the incident. None of them had dared to open it yet, or even take it down for that matter. One of the sailors noticed the captain and turned everyone's attention to him.

"Captain on deck!"

Every line of Newcastle's body was rigid with rage, giving him a stiffer air than the sailors dutifully standing at attention.

"Report!" Newcastle ordered sharply.

"Captain, the pirate Havenguarde made her way aboardship!" the crewman said, his tone at once awed and embarassed, "and she left that." He pointed at the dagger jammed into the mast.

"The security in the shipyard is as useless as the city watch!" Newcastle spat, his face flushed as he stalked to the mast and yanked the dagger out. He flung it aside with disgust and held the letter, unopened, clenched tightly in his fist, and the mockery of the coin purse fell to the deck at his feet.

She should never have set foot upon his ship. Now, she had not only taunted him, but had humiliated his crew. This could not go unanswered, orders be damned. "Leave is cancelled. Summon the crew. I want every man still sober enough to man his post at his post in an hour, and any man not stuck in a barrel with a hosepipe on him until he is!" he snarled.

"Aye, sir!" the crew cried in unison, nearly as eager as their captain was to answer to this grievous insult. The only other officer aboard, a Lieutenant Barnes so green that he barely had need to shave weekly, climbed up onto the quarter deck, grabbed the knotted rope that hung from the alarm bell, and began to ring it fiercely.

Within minutes, the crew of the Wraith began returning with alacrity, summoned by the alarm. When they learned what had happened from their comrades, they set to preparing the ship with the same furor.

Still clutching the unread note in his fist, Newcastle returned to his office to consult his charts. Orders be damned - Avery Havenguarde had made an entire shipful of new enemies this evening.

Avery ran aboard the Domina and quickly ordered them to draw the gangplank, weigh anchor, and get them the hell away from this bloody island as quickly as they possibly could. The crew was slightly shocked at her haste but they did as ordered. The ship had already been prepared to leave so it all that was left was weigh anchor and they had already gone about that as soon as she set foot onboard the vessel. "Look alive men!" She shouted as she made her way towards the helm. "We're headed for Tafton." The crew let out a cheer in response. Tafton was one of the few openly pirate friendly ports left in the world. "Sadly we won't be able to enjoy ourselves. I'm following a lead on some interesting treasure that I'd heard rumors of today and we need to get there as quickly as possible." She said causing the crew to cheer once more. "We can't dock in port though. We have to keep the Domina hidden." She added. The crew eyed her. The only reason she'd give that order is if they were hiding from someone. A loud sigh came from the deck and the other crew members turned to see Andre, first mate and perhaps oldest member of the crew entirely.

"What did you do Avery?" He asked in a tone that sounded much like that of a father reprimanding his child. Andre was older than he appeared. He only looked to be in his thirties, but he was perhaps almost twice that.

Avery bowed her head as she sheepishly looked down at the ground. "I may or may not have unintentionally made an enemy out of the entire crew...." Everyone stared at her. The curiosity was almost tangible as they waited to know just who she made an enemy out of. "The Wraith." She said as she looked back up to Andre with a sheepish grin on her face.

"YOU DID WHAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!!" Andre bellowed causing some of the other crew members to jump or jerk back a bit.

"Yeeeeeeaaaah, I'll tell you all about it as soon as we get the hell away from this island, cause I'm pretty sure he's gonna disobey his orders for shore leave." She said. The crew jumped to get the ship back out onto the open seas. As soon as they were safely away from Recien's bay she explained everything to Andre from what she'd heard from the two whores, to her encounter with Peter, and including the note that she'd left him.

The note in question that Peter still clutched in his hand smelled of Avery. The sweet scent of her perfume, one that Peter was most likely all too familiar with, permeated the page. She'd known what she was doing when left Peter the message the way she had. He was like a dog with a bone when it came to her, a trait that she'd always been quite fond of. He didn't give up easily, regardless of how many times he'd been beaten. The note in question was a relatively simple one, and the words that littered the page in Avery' surprisingly elegant handwriting were as follows:

Dear Peter,

I'm sure you all but hate me for earlier today. I do apologize for what happened. I honestly thought you were going to catch me that time. I almost thought about surrendering but then that idiot made one of the biggest mistakes I'm sure he's ever made. Though I'm sure you don't want to hear about what I almost did now do you? No after what I'm about to do I'm certain that you'll want to know where I'm going. You and I both know I can't just tell you. That would be to easy. So I'm going to give you a hint. I'm heading to place where the chase began.

Speaking of this little game we have going on. I want to make you a wager. See I've heard some news recently about a supposed treasure that's up for grabs but only to those who can find it, and that's what I plan on doing. Now I know you aren't all that interested in my kind of treasure, but I do know something else that you want. ME. So if you can find me, and manage to keep hold of me, before I manage to find that treasure, I'll give up. So whatever you want....Even let you take me to the gallows. I'm sure you don't believe me, and even if you did are wondering why I'd do a thing like that. Well I'll just have to tell you once you catch me, Love.

I am sorry for the uniform, and for having hurt you. I'm sure you don't believe it anymore but I do love you. So until we meet again.

All my love,
Avery

P.S. I'm sure you've quite forgotten it now but please take this coin as a bit of an apology for earlier, and try not to let yourself get too angry. We wouldn't want you doing anything to embarrass the navy over little old me.

Newcastle tucked the letter into his logbook and returned to the deck to find Sebastian waiting for him.

"Captain on Deck!" the XO cried, but Newcastle waved it away.

"As you were, men. Continue preparations!"

"Preparations are complete, Captain, and anchor's aweigh. All we need now is our course, Sir!" LtCmdr Sebastian said with an uncharacteristic urgency.

"How well armed are we?" Newcastle asked.

"Fully loaded with powder and shot, Captain!" the gunnery chief called, "for the cannons and small arms alike!"

Newcastle nodded grimly. "We're going to need it," he said, "When we're out of eyeline of the Shipyard, run up the false flag."

The excited mutterings of the crew became cautious and uncertain.

"Sir?" Sebastian prompted, uneasy whenever the Captain looked nervous.

"Set course for Taftan, best speed. Our unwelcome guest has decided to go treasure hunting," he said, "but we're going to drag her down, first. The Domina has only a few hours on us, at best, so I want eyes forward at all times."

"Aye, Sir!" A crewman snapped a salute, then started to scurry up the rope ladder to the crow's nest, spyglass tucked into his belt.

"Keep yourselves battle-ready," Newcastle warned, "We may find trouble coming to meet us. Notify me immediately when Taftan is in sight, or if we catch a glimpse of the Domina. You have the deck, Jack," he directed, then returned to his cabin to change into a fresh uniform. He straightened out on his bunk, too tense to sleep, and stared upward at nothing.

After some time, he sat up, surrendering to wakefulness, and pulled the note from his logbook again. The subtle scent of the perfumed paper wafted about him as he read the words again and again, almost savoring the sting he felt with each sentence, the way one does when worrying a split lip with the tip of the tongue. He focused on that pain, steeped himself in it to steel himself. This game of cat and mouse was going to come to its inevitable conclusion soon, and he knew he must ready himself.

Avery sighed as the crew bustled about. Andre came up to Avery as she gazed across the blue seas that lay in front of them. "Something troubling you, Captain?" He asked, a bit concerned at the mood his captain seemed to be in.

"Do you think he hates me, Andre?"

"Ma'am?"

"Peter, do you think he hates me?" She sighed again. Most pirates wouldn't stand for the kind of vulnerability that Avery had when it came to Peter, but the Domina and it's crew were far from your normal ship and crew.

"I'm not quite sure, Captain." He spoke honestly. "It certainly seems like he does, but it's a bit hard to tell."

"How so?" She asked as she watched the crew scurry about. She imagined that the Wraith would be setting out soon. She'd need to take measures to ensure that they didn't get caught before their journey even really began.

"Well, Captain, you can think that you hate someone. They could infuriate you to know end and drive you near insane, but many people forget one very important thing."

"What's that, Andre?"

"You have to care about something before you can hate it." Avery turned to him in almost shock at his words. "He may be convinced that he hates you now, and he very well may, but it's because he cared once, and perhaps still does. He's only human. Given the right circumstances those feelings of hatred might change."

Avery smiled at his words. "I certainly hope you're right." She said as she took a breath. "CHESSA!"

"Yes Cap'n?" A young woman with hair that was almost a greenish shade of black answered.

"We need to get to Tafton before the Wraith can gain ground on us. So you think you could help us with that?"

"Course Cap'n." You see there were a few things about the Domina Malum that made her special, each one being a closely guarded secret known by few others besides the captain and it's crew. One of these things just so happened to be the crew. Quite a few of the crew members were not exactly human, Chessa being one of them. She made her way to he bow of the ship where she stood as she looked up at the sky. A sudden powerful gust began to blow the ship in it's direction that much faster. A storm was left in it's wake though. Chessa could only hope that it would manage to slow down the Wraith as much as her winds were speeding the course of the Domina.

"Thank you Chessa." Avery said with a nod. "And remember, don't trust a thing from Newcastle's vessel." She shouted knowing all too well that Peter would most likely ty to trick them somehow. "And if my some fluke of nature they do catch us do NOT attack that ship. Defend the Domina."

"What if they came after us Cap?" One of the younger human crewmen asked. "What if they board the Domina?"

"Then send them straight to Davy Jones locker, but leave Newcastle alone. He's mine to deal with." She said with grimace.

"AYE CAP'N" The crew shouted.

"You're playing a dangerous game here, Avery." Andre warned her.

"I know, Andre." She said with a somberness to her voice that wasn't normally there.

"If you're not careful you might just have to reveal the Domina's secrets to those navy dogs." He chided.

"I am aware." She all but snapped.

"I certainly hope you know what you're doing." He said with a sigh.

"So do I."

"Storm! Storm!" the cry from the crow's nest sounded near-frantic as it reached the ears of the sailors on deck. Newcastle hurried out, beckoned by the alarm, and found the deck already bustling with activity.

Good men, indeed, he thought with some pride, even as he cursed the Gods for interfering in his hunt. "Helm, bring us in toward the shore! If this had to happen, this is the best place for it." He directed, staring intensely at the starless skies ahead, as if the force of his own wrath could break the storm before it reached them.

The lookout slid down the ladder from the crow's nest so fast that the palms of his gloves had begun to smoke. "Captain, I've spotted a cove alee the storm!"

"Good! Get up to the helm and direct him in. That squall is coming in fast, so be faster!" Newcastle barked, "as soon as we're in position, drop anchor and all sails! All men, clear the hold!"

And so the orders continued, even as they were practically unneeded - most of the Wraith's crew were well-tested old salts, and the few that were still green had the sense to follow along. When the storm hit and the Wraith lurched, her crew were nestled in relative safety in her belly. Safety was not comfort, however, and the men sat in the dark, listening to the rain pounding above and thunder breaking the sky. Newcastle had ordered all lamps doused, lest the oil spilled if they fell should set the entire ship ablaze.

"Commander, can I ask you something?" A voice near to Newcastle's shoulder piped up.

"Aye, what is it, Lieutenant?" Sebastian's gruff basso answered, identifying the first speaker, who Newcastle had not been able to place.

"Why did we hole up? The Wraith should have been able to weather this if we'd lowered the masts..."

Newcastle answered before the executive officer could speak.

"Because our quarry is still fleeing, Mr. Barnes," he said simply. He felt no anger towards having the order questioned, and that was evident in his voice. "Whatever time we lost coming here, it is less than what we would have lost re-raising the masts." His lips curled slightly, and the men in the dark could hear that in his voice, as well. "And if we ride the coast down to Taftan, then the Domina will have to cross our path when she puts in." The smile disappeared. "I want that ship."

"Aye, Captain, I understand," the Lieutenant said, slightly unsettled. He hadn't realized that the Captain was so near, and that could have gone far less pleasantly for him. "Thank you, sir."

The storm that blows hardest blows by fastest, and within three hours, Newcastle's crew were on deck again, raising the sails and hoisting the anchors. The rain that still lingered was of no concern to any of them - they worked as if on a high summer's day, and in like spirits. Those high spirits were not to last, sadly, as the sound of alarm bells from ashore reached them on the night wind.

"Should we investigate, Captain?" Sebastian asked, but Newcastle shook his head.

"No, Jack, it was the storm. It would have struck these fishing villages with as little warning as it gave us, and they were less prepared. There's nothing we can do for them."

"Aye, Captain," Sebastian said glumly. "Helm, to Taftan!"

Avery gave a small sigh of relief when they reached Tafton. They had a lead on The Wraith for now. They needed to do their best to keep that lead though. Normally they'd have just pulled straight into port but instead they pulled into Harbinger's cove. Harbinger's cove was nigh impossible to enter. Only the most skilled seaman could traverse those dangerous waters. You see the waters looked calm and pristine but beneath them were rigid and jagged rocks that lay beneath the waters surface, just out of view of most sailors but still within reach of the ship itself. There were few paths into this cove that were clear of great danger. Avery knew of one such path, but it was the most difficult to take. It was also the safest. There were a set of huge underground caverns that led from one side of the island right into Harbinger's bay. The caverns were large enough for a ship like the Domina Malum to fit through, but the problem was navigating through the caverns. It was easy to get lost in them. Harbinger's cove was truthfully one of the best places to hide from navy ships, because most of them didn't even realize the treachery of that very bay.

One of the crewman had quickly taken Avery ashore so that she could take care of her business in Tafton, waiting for her patiently after having hidden the small boat. She had left specific instructions with Anzer, one of the male members of their crew that was quite skilled at creating mirages to keep the Domina hidden from view as best he could. They couldn't afford to give the Wraith the upper hand.

Avery quickly made her way into town and began to ask around about the pirate that was telling people about this supposed treasure. People seemed to know exactly who she was talking about an quickly directed her to the Tattered Queen tavern. She looked around the tavern and was about to ask the bartender if the man she was looking for was here when she saw none other Blackhand Anders. Blackhand was known for being particularly cruel to those he stole from, but was always up for a good challenge. He ha become famous for offering his victims a chance to save themselves, but only if they could outsmart him. Most people thought it was nothing more than a fable, but it was rumored that a few people had actually managed to save their own hides. Avery wasn't sure how much truth those stories really held, but pitting people up against one another in a battle of wits to see who's better definitely seemed his style. Avery made her way overto his table and sat down in front of him.

"Well hello there little lady." He said with a toothy grin. "What can I do for you today?"

"I'm going to cut to the chase, Blackhand." She spoke curtly which earned her a curious look from the man sitting across from her. "The name's Avery Havenguarde, and I've heard rumor of a rather well known pirate that's supposedly offering up some grand, mythical treasure to anyone that can find it." Black hand smiled in response to her words. "Now seeing a few pirates I know are willing to part with their treasure while thy still draw breath. I can only assume that you're the only pirate crazy enough to do that."

"Aye, lass." He said with a wicked grin. "It were me that b offerin' up that treasure."

"And only one clue to start the journey, right?" She asked point blank. She didn't have time to waste.

"Aye. Am I to be assuming that you'd like to give it a go?" He asked her.

"I'd quite like to, yes. However I'm in a great hurry as I seem to have greatly angered a Navy captain here recently and he'd like nothing more to fit me with a rope necklace and see me hang." Blackhand laughed at this. "So If it's all the same to you I'd like to have that clue and be on my way."

"Aye lass, I can do that fer ya." He said earning a smirk from Avery. "However you won't like it, m'dear." Those words made her brow furrow. "Yer first clue be lyin' in the middle o' the Belly o' the Beasts." He said with a smirk.

Avery frowned at his words. The Belly of the Beast was what everyone called the Ager Seas. It was rumored that sea monsters dwelled in those waters and few that dared to traverse them were ever heard from again. There was supposed to be an island sitting in the middle of these dangerous seas, but few were left to confirm that story.

"These are hostile waters, men," Newcastle reminded his crew, "So keep the false flag flying and no one leaves the ship."

"Captain, we can't let you go without an escort!" Sebastian protested, "It's against regulations, not to mention bloody reckless!"

"So is flying the colors of a captured pirate ship," Newcastle said pointedly, gesturing to the top of the main mast, "leaving the shipyard before repairs are completed, and disobeying orders. We've gone far beyond 'regulations' now, Commander. Besides, I need all of you here. For those of you that have never had the... pleasure of visiting Taftan before, it is the sort of place where we may find ourselves having to repel boarders while we're docked. The deck crew is to be armed and are not to wear their uniforms. There's no sense inviting more trouble than we already have."

"What are you going to do, Sir?" Sebastian asked.

Newcastle smile wryly. "I'm going to join a treasure hunt, of course. We didn't see the Domina Malum on the way in, but this entire coastline is a rats' warren of coves and canals. They could be hidden anywhere, so if you see them leaving, sound the alarm at once, weigh anchor, and prepare to set sail as soon as I set foot aboard again. Otherwise, I intend to return with our new course."

"Aye sir. Watch your back over there, Captain," Sebastian pleaded, and Newcastle smirked.

"Cluck cluck, Mr. Sebastian," he chided, then snapped a salute before he returned to his quarters to change.

While Harbinger's Cove had served most effectively to hide the Domina from the Wraith's lookouts, the time it took to navigate the precarious labyrinth had cost her nearly all of the time she had gained on her pursuers. After a few well-placed questions and a few more well-placed gold sovereigns, Peter, in his threadbare sailors' work clothes, found himself at the threshold of the Tattered Queen, a tavern that made the rest of the cesspit that was Taftan look clean and welcoming in comparison, only minutes after Avery had departed.

He needed no help in identifying Anders - the man's grotesque face was plastered on the wall of his cabin, with a dozen other bounty posters. He felt a roiling of disgust in the pit of his stomach that the woodcut of Anders' face hadn't yet been decorated with the red "X" that Peter so enjoyed adding. It was a tempting thought, to do so now, but the suicidal nature of the attempt, and remembering that he had bigger prey in his sights, kept him on task.

With two wooden tankards of some vile swill that passed for ale in this place, Peter sat down boldly, directly across from the pirate scum that had set this "treasure hunt" in motion. He set one of them down in front of Anders and looked the man in his single good eye.

"I want to play your game," he said.

Shortly after leaving the Tattered Queen, Avery made the decision to pass by the docks on her way back to the beach. She didn't expect the Wraith to be flying the Royal Navy's colors in this port. Not if Peter was smart. It may have been against regulation to fly a false flag but it was far to dangerous not to. There was little love for the Royal Navy in Tafton. This town was a paradise to pirates, mercenaries, and all manner of vagabonds. Pirates like Avery that seemed to make a habit out of being a thorn in the Navy's side were viewed almost as heroes. Trying to apprehend her here would have been bordering suicide. The Wraith didn't need to be flying the Navy's colors for her to recognize that ship. She'd spent the past four years running from that ship, and while others might not recognize the ship without it's colors, she most certainly would. Sure enough as she passed by the docks she caught site of the ship that was determined to see her hang. She smiled to herself as she noticed he false flag and the lack of uniforms on board. Peter was smart, and seemed dead set on capturing her.

She couldn't help but feel a tad special. He'd broken several regulations and put himself in harm's way, all for her. She wore a smug smile as she continued to the beach. Anderson, the young man that had come with her to shore, was waiting for her with the boat at the ready when she'd returned. "Make haste, Anderson." She said as they got into the small boat. "Newcastle and his men are here." She added causing the young man's bow to furrow. "Anders may be able to buy us some time, but I doubt that it will be much."

"Of course ma'am. We'd best hurry then." He said as they quickly made their way back to the Domina.

Once back on board she warned the crew of the Wraith's presence. The crew began to question what they would do now that their hunter's had begun to catch up to them. "We're going to continue on." She said with an arched eyebrow. "We aren't the type to hide when presented with a threat, and Harbinger's cove is far enough out of the sight of port that we can exit without having to cloak ourselves." She added. The crew members nodded as they raised the anchor and moved to set sail once more. "But going through the sea caves will cost us far too much time." She warned them.

"What would you have us do then, Captain?" Andre asked.

"We go over the rocks." She added. Some of the human crew members looked worried at that statement.

"But captain, they'll sink the ship." One of the men stated.

"Not quite, Kable." Spoke a woman with silver hair. She didn't look to be much older than Avery herself.

"What do you mean Tyrna?"

"Remember, boys." She said as she walked towards the stern. "Not all of us are human." With that she raised her arms slowly, and as if on cue a wave picked up the ship and carried them right over the dangerous rocks of Harbinger's bay.

"Thank you, Tyrna." Avery said with a nod in her direction once the were free of the dangers of Harbinger's bay. "Chessa!"

"Aye, Cap'n?" Chessa called from the bow.

"Get us away from this hellhole and as far away from the Wraith as you can manage without giving away our advantage." Avery hollered.

"Aye, Cap'n!" Chessa responded before calling the winds once more. A strong gust caught in the sail and sent them towards their destination. Chessa would only be able to provide them with a slight advantage. Perhaps a few hours at best. She couldn't raise another storm, or it might alert the crew of the Wraith to the storms unnatural origin.

---------------​

Avery had warned Ander's that Dead Man Newcastle was hot on her trail. Many pirates had taken to calling the relentless captain of the Wraith Dead Man, because if he caught you in his sights, or pursued you, you were a dead man. Few pirates had managed to get away from him, and Avery was the only one that had managed to do so not only for as long as she had, but as many times as she had. He himself was not too familiar with the appearance of Captain Newcastle, but he had an admiration for Avery Havenguarde's wit and perseverance. So he told her that he would try to aid her, but he made no promises. So when the young man in threadbare sailor's clothes sat down in front of him he eyed the young man with a hard gaze from his one good eye.

"And what game would that be exactly young man?" He asked with a wicked grin. He did not know if this was the wretched navy captain that was pursuing young Captain Havenguarde or not, but he had every intention of dragging this out. His riddles would change, becoming more cryptic to, perhaps, buy the woman a bit of time.

"Is this some sort of witchery?" Peter asked with a smirk, then paused to take another healthy swig from his ale. "The terrible Blackhand, playing coy like some blushing milkmaid? Damn me eyes, but the world is gone mad!" He laughed and slapped the table sharply, drawing all eyes to them for a moment at the noise. Long enough that the gathered ruffians and scum were still watching when Peter rested his elbow across the table and leaned forward. "we both know what ye been doing in the hayloft, milkmaid, so why don't ye stop pullin' me leg?" he said, his voice low and impatient.

Anders' eyebrows rose, his face flushed, and he glared murderously . Simon shifted back onto the hard wooden bench, into a lazy and unconcerned posture, and he rested his thumb on the hilt of his saber, bracing himself but never flinching or taking his eyes from the pirate's. If he'd pushed too far, and this turned into a fight, he would be ready, even if it did mean having to hunt down another source of information. Havenguarde was not going to slip him again.

The room had gone deadly quiet, and tension hung in the air thicker than the tobacco pipe smoke as all watched, wondering what was going to happen to the stranger. Every heartbeat had Peter's muscles tightening, coiling under his skin as his body readied himself for a brutal fight.

"Hrmph," Blackhand grunted at the end of that eternal moment, and the mingling of relief and disappointment from the onlookers was nearly palpable. "Either ye got iron in yer bollocks," he muttered, "or yer none too bright. Either way, ye don't scare easy."

Peter shrugged with a lazy smile. "Six of one..." he said, waving his left hand airily. "So how about it, Blackhand?"

Blackhand's single good eye surveyed the younger man keenly, taking in the sun's kiss on his skin, the scars and callouses on his arms and hands, the dried salt stiffening his cuffs... "Ye have the look of a sailor," he said, "but I don't know ye. What ship do ye serve?"

Peter's face darkened into a near scowl. "I don't, not anymore," he said. "My partner double-crossed me when ye told him your riddle, left me marooned in this here pit, and shoved off already."

"Then what will ye do with the clue if ye have it?"

"Solve it," Peter said simply, "then trade it with a captain settin' sail for a spot on the crew. We'll beat that bilge rat to the treasure, and I'll be there to give 'im 'is rightful reward..." he said, cracking his fingers.

Blackhand laughed and shrugged. "Ye'd best hurry, lad. There's already others ahead of ye. But here's yer clue: What ye seek can only be found in the Salt Lord's cellar." He drained his cup then. "Now be off with ye."

Peter grinned as he stood. "Aye, and thanks fer the treasure," he said.

"Ye only have a clue to it, boy," Blackhand said, mildly puzzled.

Peter grinned and waved the comment away. "Details, matey. Details."

The Salt Lord was the archaic name for what sailors today called "Ol' Grandad," an ancient seabeast described as part tiger shark, part kraken, and all bad disposition. Ol' Grandad was only one of the terrifying tales told of the Ager Seas, and for the first time in years, Newcastle was hesitant. Chasing the Domina to Taftan was one matter - bringing his ship and crew into the Ager Sea was another entirely. Could he justify putting his entire crew at risk, when the beasts and storms of the Ager Sea would just as likely do the hangman's job for him?

That thought gave him pause, and he surprised even himself when he realized that it was the thought of Avery's ship wrecked and broken in a nest of sea monsters that had taken hold of her body and....

The decision was made. Newcastle rushed back to the Wraith intent on setting sail immediately.

Avery was thankful for the inhuman nature of many of her crew members. The Ager Seas were a dangerous place for a human crew and only the dimwitted dared to go there unprepared. Avery, however, was far from dimwitted, and her crew wasn't human. The seas would sill be dangerous, but she had an advantage that Peter did not. She only hoped that Peter gave up on his quest after her. She would hate for him to be injured because he chased her into the Belly of the Beasts. She was starring out at the seas behind them when Andre walked up to her. "What news, Andre?" She asked with out so much as moving to look at him.

"We're nearing the Ager Seas, Avery." He said with a sigh as he stared out at the empty sea.

"Any signs of danger yet?" She asked as she glanced at him briefly.

"Not yet." His voice sounding slightly on edge as he spoke. "But I fear that won't be the case for this entire journey." He was obviously worried, and rightfully so. The Ager Seas were home to some of the most fearsome creatures to ever swim the seven seas. Few dared to go into these waters willingly, and fewer still survived the journey.

"I never expected it to be, Andre." She sighed. "I started a personal feud with each and every crewmember of the Wraith." She said as she turned to look out at the crew who were now staring at her. "I've made us a target of one of the most relentless captains the Royal Navy has." She spoke loud and clear for the whole crew to hear. "And I'm about to lead us straight into the heart of danger." She added with no small amount of seriousness. "If you wish to leave now is the time to speak up." She said as she moved towards the helm of the ship. "Because once we pass Nester's Isle there's going to be nothing but danger ahead of us." The crew was quite as she pointed towards the small island that was known as the last safe beacon before entering the Ager Seas.

Andre walked up behind her and placed his hand on her shoulder. "We trust you, Captain." He said assuredly. The rest of the crew cheered in agreement.

Avery smirked at the trust her crew held in her. The crew of the Domina Malum was as rare as the ship itself was. "Well then." She said before turning to the helmsman. "Push forward Grashor." She said with a smirk. "We have monsters to tame and a treasure to find." With that the crew sprung into action, making preparations for what monsters they might encounter.

The deck of the Wraith was eerily silent. Sailors stood their posts, eyes on the seas in all directions, and the tension in the air greater even than the taut ropes that stayed the sails. Knowing that they sailed the Ager Sea, the fair winds and calm seas were not to be trusted. Every cannon and harpoon gun was manned, and every man on the edge of his last nerve.

Finally, Jack Sebastian had had enough. He marched across the deck to Newcastle, flipped a snappy salute, and said "Captain, may I speak to you?"

Newcastle quirked an eyebrow, but then nodded and gestured for Sebastian to follow as he turned around and walked into his cabin and office. Sebastian turned to close the door behind him, then turned back to find himself face-to-face with the captain.

He wasn't going to be cowed, he decided. "Permission to speak frankly, Sir?"

"Naturally, Mr. Sebastian," Newcastle answered. "What's all this about?"

"Sir, as executive officer, it's my duty to inform you if I believe your command has become impaired," Sebastian said, the words tumbling out. Newcastle looked surprised.

"And you think it has?"

"Sir, to pursue a ship, even if it is the Domina Malus, into the Ager Sea on account of a pricked ego..."

Newcastle stiffened. "A 'pricked ego', Commander?" he echoed, his voice edged. "Is that what you think this is?"

"It is why we pursued her to Taftan, sir," Sebastian countered, his tone less confident in his own words now.

"Correction, Commander," Newcastle said, "It's why the crew was happy to give up their leave to pursue her. We went to Taftan for the same reason that we are here - because we will not allow a precedent to be set that anyone who attacks civilian ships and ports only has to be willing to flee to somewhere that the mighty Royal Navy is afraid to follow, and all is forgotten!" he snapped.

"Furthermore..." he was about to continue, then cut off as the cry came down on deck.

"Land Ho! Domina sighted!" the lookout called, and both Newcastle and his second in command ran out onto deck and all the way to the bow of the ship. In the distance, faint but unmistakable, the silhouette of Avery's ship sat among the waves alongside an island barely a mile across, so close to the shore that he suspected that it may have been aground.

"Full sail! Come about and bring us in amidships!" Newcastle barked, "I want that ship, now!" He added as the Wraith barreled toward the island and the Domina, a hawk bearing down on its prey. "Raise the black flag! If they surrender, take them, but if attacked, then fire at will!"

Avery had just finished giving orders as to what the crew was to do in her absence and had gathered a group of some of her stronger and more combat capable crew members to accompany her ashore when the lookout cried out. "CAPTAIN, IT'S THE WRAITH!!!!!" Blake, Andre and many of the other crew members ran towards the starboard beam of the ship. Avery cursed under her breath. It had been wishful thinking to hope that they would have gotten more than a few hours lead on that ship. "CAP'N THEIR RAISING THE BLACK FLAG!!!!" Avery glared. If she wanted that treasure she'd have to get on that island to find the next clue, but she couldn't allow the navy to get their hands on the Domina Malum. That would give the navy an advantage against pirates that she just couldn't afford to give them. However going to war with the Wraith was bordering suicide. There would be no way to come out of this alive without revealing the inhuman nature of part of her crew, save to surrender. The crew looked at her in anticipation. Everyone was on edge at the danger before them.

"What would you have us do, Captain?" Andre's deep baritone came from beside her.

Avery sighed deeply at the heavy decision that now faced her. She turned to the crew, steeling herself for her next words. "The Wraith has finally caught up to us, men!" She said as she gestured towards the navy vessel that was barreling towards them. "They believe to have us cornered." The crew nodded gravely in response. "However we have an advantage that they are unaware of." The crew smirked knowing full well what she was referring to. "However using this advantage would not only make them aware of it but put many of you in grave danger." She took a breath before continuing. "If we surrender now they'll most likely hang us, and the Malum will have fallen into the hands of the Navy. Should they realize the secrets she holds they will have an advantage that would all but seal the fate of many of our own." The crew began to grumble at this but she raised her hand in response. "Should we refuse to surrender and try to run they will know what many of you are, and should they capture us you will most assuredly be tried for more than piracy." There was discontent in the crew once more. "But we can try our damnedest and perhaps make it out of this alive." The crew stared at her intently as she spoke her next words. "So tell me would you give in to the navy dogs..." A smirk fell across her face. "Or would you die fighting?"

The crew seemed to have already made their decision, but before they could voice it Andre spoke up again. "Captain, I'm sure I speak for the entire crew when I say that I would rather be burned alive and see the Domina at the bottom of the ocean before I would see her in the hands of the navy." At this the crew erupted in cheers. It seemed as though they all agreed.

"Well then, Tyrna?"

"Aye, Cap'n?" Spoke the silver haired sea witch, as many of the crew called her.

"Get us out into the water so we can attempt our escape."

"AYE, CAPTAIN!!" With that Tyrna made her way to port. She stood there, staring out at the island as she placed her hands behind her and began to push towards the island slowly. As if responding to her movements water began to rush it's way onto shore causing the ship to move ever so slightly. She raised her hands just a bit and the waters rose, picking up the ship. She closed her eyes before quickly pushing her hands behind her. With that they were no longer aground and the crew began to ready the ship to run.

"AMIRA!!!" Avery called out. A young woman with soft, curly honey brown hair that tossed in the sea breeze and eyes like sea water made her way forward from amidst the crew.

"Yes, Captain?"

"Distract his crew as best you can." Avery said with a heavy sigh.

"But Captain, what if The Keeper comes?" Amira asked with a furrowed brow. The Keeper was a name all but forgotten to sailors. It was a name given to a sea monster rumored to have the top half of a wingless dragon and the bottom half of a Kraken that swam in the depths of the seas. Few sailors had see it many years and it was rumored that it may have very well died off or retreated to the Ager seas. The Keeper had rarely attacked sea vessels, and was more often merely seen. The Keeper was rumored to have a fancy for Sirens and it was said that the keeper hunted for them. No one really knew what The Keeper did with the sirens once it had them, but supposedly it never killed them when it took them. Some said that The Keeper collected them for their beauty, others for their beautiful songs. Regardless of what The Keeper did with them it would be dangerous and foolhardy to let a siren sing on the Ager Seas lest one had a death wish.

"Do you fear The Keeper, Amira?" Avery asked with an almost motherly concern.

"No, Captain, but-" Amira trailed off as she pulled some of her golden brown hair over her shoulder to busy her hands.

"Speak your mind Amira."

"The Keeper could sink the Domina. I may be able to sufficiently distract his crew but both ships could be lost should The Keeper come." She said with concern.

"We do not fear death, Amira." She said as she looked on towards the Wraith as it drew closer. "And it would be best to lose the Domina to a sea monster than to Dead Man Newcastle." The crew shouted out their agreement at their captain's words.

"Then I will do my best Captain, and may the seas be kind to you and the crew." She said as she and several other crew members took up instruments and made their way to the aft of the ship as that was now closest to the Wraith.

---------------​

Peter's crew could only watch as an unnatural wave gripped the Domina from shore and placed her safely back in the waters. "What witchcraft!" Shouted one of the sailors.

"Seems them crew of the Domina Malum is even less human than we thought." One of the older members of the crew, and old sea salt named Gregor, stated gravely.

"Captain the Domina appears to be running!" One of the crewmen shouted. Many of the crew scoffed at the seemingly feeble attempt. Some wondered why the Domina didn't fight them, but instead tried to run when the Wraith had the obvious advantage. It was at this moment that the faint sound of music traveled across the sea breeze and reached the ears of the crewman of the Wraith.

"Is that.....music?" One of the men asked wit confusion. Many of the crew began to hush so they might hear a bit better. It was indeed music that the crew heard and one of the men laughed.

"Is that how they plan to fight us, with a sea shanty?" His voice soon fell quite though as a beautiful voice echoed across the winds and at that moment one would believe that music was in the middle of their vessel, the voice of a beautiful woman echoing clearly as though it's owner were standing in the middle of the crew.

---------------​

"An old man by a seashore
At the end of day
Gazes the horizon
With sea winds in his face
Tempest-tossed island
Seasons all the same
Anchorage unpainted
And a ship without a name"

---------------​

The Gregor's face twisted in fear. "By gods they have a siren 'board that ship!" He cried out. The younger men looked at him in confusion. "They've come undone, Captain!" He exclaimed as he turned to Peter. "No sane man would dare set about a siren's song on these seas!"

---------------​

"Sea without a shore for the banished one unheard
He lightens the beacon, light at the end of world
Showing the way lighting hope in their hearts
The ones on their travels homeward from afar"

At this moment the crew of the Domina began to join in with Amira's song softly as they guided the Domina in her escape.

"This is for long-forgotten
Light at the end of the world
Horizon crying
The tears he left behind long ago"

The winds howled as the music seemed to only grow louder and Amira's song rang through the salty sea air. The crew stopped their singing to give way to Amira's entrancing voice.

"The albatross is flying
Making him daydream
The time before he became
One of the world`s unseen
Princess in the tower
Children in the fields
Life gave him it all:
An island of the universe"

The waves began to crash and the clouds darkened almost in response to the heart wrenching tale spilling from Amira's lips. It was at this point that the crew joined in once more.

"Now his love`s a memory
A ghost in the fog
He sets the sails one last time
Saying farewell to the world
Anchor to the water
Seabed far below
Grass still in his feet
And a smile beneath his brow"

The crew's voice rang out alongside Amira's own, as though they had not only accepted what was to come but almost challenged it.

"This is for long-forgotten
Light at the end of the world
Horizon crying
The tears he left behind long ago"

The song seemed to calm for a moment and the crew's voices died down, leaving only Amira's voice to break through the howling winds.

"So long ago
So long ago"

As the music continued alone the wind whipped around the ships. Amira looked out at the seas as they crashed about. She could feel it. The Keeper was, indeed, closing in on them. Amira turned to look at Avery and nodded. "PREPARE YOURSELVES MEN!!!!" Avery yelled to the crew who manned their posts. "THE BEAST WILL BE UPON US SOON!!!!" Lightning cracked across the sky and as thunder sounded in time with the music that still played Amira shouted for them to stop. The beast would be upon them in mere moments. She had achieved her goal in distracting Peter's crew, but her goal had been only to distract them and she held no desire to see them destroyed by the beast that was coming to retrieve her. Perhaps if the Wraith kept it's distance they might come out of this unharmed. It was with that thought in mind that she ceased her singing in hopes to give the crew of the Wraith at least a few moments to prepare before the monster that would soon be upon them.

Mere moments later a roar ripped through the seas and The Keeper rose from the depths. They had indeed invited a monster to their fight, whether that had been their intention or not, and now only the gods could ensure that these ships and their crews didn't die in the Ager Seas.

"To your stations!," Newcastle ordered, but the Siren Song was more compelling even than his Voice of Command, and half of his crew still stood, dumbfounded, in its grip.

"It's no good, Captain!" Gregor called, his voice edged with panic. "They're too far gone!"

Newcastle's brow furrowed and his face darkened, stirring the fury in his heart once more. This was the cost of mercy, then, and he resolved not to pay it again. At the edge of his vision, he saw Sebastian running below decks, and curiosity tempered his wrath for the moment. Jack was many things, but weak-willed and cowardly were not among them, so where was he going.

Newcastle received his answer when Jack reappeared a few moments later, having retrieved his lute from his cabin, and carried it toward the bow. There he propped himself against the rail, raised the lute, and began to play, his fingers dancing across the strings as the notes were nearly, but not quite, drowned out by the singing from the thrice-damned pirate ship.

It was familiarity and habit that made the crew's ears pick the XO's notes out of the cacophony of song and sea, for he was playing the Anthem of the Royal Navy. One by one, the crews lent their voices to the lyrics, reminded of their duty and their pride.

"..Sailing through the blackest nights,
Magic stars our guiding lights
We will lead the charge,
our sails ride the wind..."

When the voices of the crew drowned out even Jack's lute, much less the Siren's song, he stopped playing, but the sailors carried the song through to its conclusion, then began again.

Newcastle was impressed, and that showed on his face as he turned to his second. "I didn't know you could do that. Well done, Jack."

Jack smiled. "Neither did I," he admitted, "but thank you, Sir."

Newcastle turned his attention back to the other ship, his jaw set. "Now, ready the guns. This has gone on for..."

He was cut off as the sea between the two ships exploded, and the stuff of every sailors' nightmare appeared to block his view of the Domina, and chaos gripped his crew once more.

"Gods save us!" someone cried. "Damn my eyes, it's Ol' Grandad!" another screamed.

"Come about!" Newcastle barked, and the Wraith began the slow, wide turn to put the beast at their stern. He joined Sebastian at the rail as the ship moved away, and the monster didn't appear to follow or even pay it any mind. "Retreat from here now. Return in 12 hours, not before. That thing should be gone by then."

"Captain?" Sebastian asked, wide-eyed. He definitely didn't like what he was hearing. "What are you doing?"

"I'm going to stay on the island and wait for Havenguarde."

"How do you know she'll come back after Ol' Grandad showed up?"

"Because whatever brought us out into this hellish place in the first place is on that island, and as long as she's alive, she won't give it up. It's time I started setting a few rules of this little game." Newcastle said.

"And her crew? Her ship?"

"If that abomination doesn't take care of that for us, then take them, or sink them, or put them to the sword. They sicced a siren on us, and unleashed that horror. No quarter, Mr. Sebastian."

"Aye, Captain, but are you sure that this..."

Newcastle cut him off. "You have your orders, Commander. Twelve hours."

Then, without another word, Captain Newcastle dove into the churning sea and swam for all he was worth, until he set sodden boots on the wet sand of the island's shore. Certain that he was not seen with the distraction the monster granted, he plunged into the thick greenery behind the beach, intent on keeping it that way.

The Keeper roared as it clawed at the Domina, just barely missing the sails. "Careful men!" Avery cried as a tentacle rose from the water. "She'll sink us if we aren't careful." The tentacle reached out, moving to snatch Amira from the ship. The rocking of the ship amongst the tumultuous waves caused Amira to fall down, just out of The Keeper's reach. The crew manned their posts aww best they could and soon the cannons were firing, making the beast wretch back with a mighty roar. Amira cautiously stood back up with no small amount of difficulty as the waves crashed and the thunder roared.

"Captain, we'll never make it!" One of the men cried as the beast clawed at clawed at the ship again.

Avery turned to her first mate as she held onto the railing for dear life so she wouldn't be thrown over board. "ANDRE!" She called out, gaining his attention for a brief moment as the crew rose to fight the creature off.

"Aye, Captain?" The large dark skinned man responded.

"Should something happen don't come back for me." She said earning herself an confused look from him.

"Captain?"

"You heard me." She spoke with an air of command to her. "If they take me do not come after me." She seemed no less confused by this statement. "We've surely made an enemy of them and they'll take this ship and put you all to death if you encounter them on the seas." She added with no small amount of seriousness. "Follow them unseen." She commanded. "And come for me on land." She smirked. "You'll have a better chance of making it out alive that way."

Andre looked at his captain with a grave expression. "Is that an order captain?"

"Aye it is." Avery made her way towards Amira near the aft. The waves crashed against with an increasing force and it made her wonder if The Keeper itself hadn't struck them from beneath the waves. It was with no amount of ease that she made her way to Amira's side. "We need a miracle, Amira!" She yelled over the wind and the waves. Amira nodded as watched a mighty tentacle reached towards them again. Avery pretty go of the talking to push Amira out of the tentacles grasp, but at that moment a mighty force crashed against the side of the ship throwing Avery from its deck.

"CAPTAIN!" Amira shouted as she reached for Avery. However her reach fell short and Avery feel into the waters near the island's shore. At that moment Amira knew she had to do something and so she opened her mouth and began to sing, not to distract or hypnotize a crew, but to call for help. As The keeper heard her song it stopped it's thrashing and the waves began to calm a bit. Her singing continued as the Domina moved to make her escape. It was as she sang that the sound of voices arose from behind The Keeper drawing its attention from the Domina.

"By the gods!" One crew member shouted. "The mermaids have come to our aid." As the mermaid continued to sing The Keeper turned away from the Domina. As they slowly swam away The Keeper followed them and the storm ceased, the winds slowing as the howling ceased and the waters began to still.

"Do we go back for the captain?" One of the men asked as the crew turned to Andre for direction.

"No." He answered causing a grumble to raise from the crew. "We can't go back for her outright. We need to sell shelter from the Wraith's view and send a small group ashore in secret. They'll go after her but I'd they can't retrieve her we'll wait till they take her and follow unseen till they dock." The crew grinned at his words. "Then we take her back and give them hell." The crew cheered and with that they moved on to hide from the view of the Wraith.

Avery coughed as she drug herself ashore. This was most certainly not what she had prepared for. Sure could well be stranded on this island. She'd told Andre to leave her and there was no telling if Peter would come back or not. With that thought in mind she stood up from where she laid on the same and began her trek into the jungles that lay ahead. She needed to find shelter for now. After all there was no telling how long she'd be stuck here.

Peter could hear the chaos in the distance, and silently prayed that the frantic cries came from the Domina, and that his crew had followed orders and retreated to relative safety. He could not deny a certain selfishness to that hope, as he had no desire to be forever marooned here in the pit of the Ager Seas.

As he delved further toward the center of the island, Peter came to realize why Blackhand had referred to this island as "The Salt Lord's Cellar"; out of sight of the shore, he stumbled upon several crates, a few chests, and countless canvas bags, many of which had been here long enough to begin to rot through, spilling their glittering contents onto the soft, damp ground. He wondered if Blackhand's treasure had belonged to Blackhand, at all, or if he'd simply learned of some bolder freebooter using this island to stash his ill-gotten booty. Why, then, would he be sending whole crews of treasure hunters after it?

Further pondering on that matter would have to wait, Peter decided, when the sound of the Keeper's attack had faded into the wind, replaced by the sound of another person in the dense jungle, rustling branches and treading on fallen leaves and twigs, as if they were putting no effort at all into stealth.

Peter tucked himself into the shadowy fork of a great, gnarled tree and watched. And he waited.

Avery sighed as she trudged her way through the jungle. If something, or someone, else was here she'd just have to deal with them. She was fairly quick, and could be quite stealthy when she needed to be, but her mind was focused elsewhere for the moment. "Alright, first I need to find some type of shelter. I know Blackhand." She said to herself as she lifted a heavy vine to walk underneath it. "He wouldn't have put what he sent me here for in plain sight. It's just not his style." She added as she cut through some of the dense foliage that covered this island. "Treasure itself probably ain't even here. Any treasure on this island would be a bonus. Blackhand isn't the type to make things so easy." Most would scoff at the idea that sailing to the heart of the Ager Seas was easy, but Avery was not wrong. Blackhand was a conniving, mischievous man that took great pride in the manners of which he hid his treasure. He would not dare to just leave it in the middle of an island regardless of how dangerous it had been to get there.

"It would be best to find shelter now and then start thinking about where the next clue could be." She said as she neared the place where Peter awaited her, completely unaware that her pursuer was on the island with her. She paused for a moment to look back in the direction of the beach. "I certainly hope that Peter and his crew managed to get away from that thing. I didn't think it would come on us as quickly as it did." She sighed as she stepped over a fallen tree. "I was hoping to have put a little more distance in between us." As she pushed her way through the brush she found herself coming face to face with the treasure horde sitting right there out in the open.

"Something tells me that this is not what I'm looking for." She said as she poked at one of the half-rotted bags with her cutlass. "But it may hold some clue as to where I can find what he sent me here for." She added with a sigh. She turned to leave for the moment. The treasure was all well and good, but it was most likely not what she'd come for and it didn't help with her need for shelter. "Might as well find shelter. I could be stuck her for awhile." She said with a sigh as she walked away from the treasure horde.

With the dull thud of boots on soft turf, and the faint jingle of brass buttons and buckles, Peter dropped from his perch. Sword in hand, in landed behind his prey, his long blade extended toward Avery.

"That will not be necessary, Avery Havenguarde. You'll be leaving with me as soon as my ship returns." Peter said, his voice cold, hard, and officious. He turned his wrist to rest the flat of his blade atop her shoulder. "By the authority of the Royal Navy, you are bound by law to stand trial on charges of theft, murder, and piracy."

He extended his empty hand to take hold of Avery's upper arm, spun her around away from the blade of his sword, until she faced him, and she saw the unyielding iciness of his expression melt into a smug, almost boyish, self-satisfaction.

"I've won your wager, Avery. Will you surrender as you promised, or break your word and..." he trailed off and shifted his eyes meaningfully to his sword, then back to her, awaiting her decision.

Back
Top Bottom