Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Last Movie You Saw...

Finally got around to watching Blazing Saddles sicne it's pouring out. I love Mel Brooks and I love this scene.

Taggart: I got it! I got it!
Hedley Lamarr: You do?
Taggart: We'll work up a Number 6 on 'em.
Hedley Lamarr: [frowns] "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one.
Taggart: Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a-whompin' and a-whumpin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.
Hedley Lamarr: You spare the women?
Taggart: Naw, we rape the shit out of them at the Number Six Dance later on.
Hedley Lamarr: Marvelous!

------
There have been many Aku comments made about this scene too.

Hedley Lamarr: Qualifications?
Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.
Hedley Lamarr: You said rape twice.
Applicant: I like rape.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, yesterday.

Eh, I always waver between thumbs up and down with this movie because I love it since its Star Wars and I like some of the characters, but JarJar is so nerve grating that I only watch this movie about once a year.

Leon

Some of you may be aware of The Professional, a mid-90s film that was one of Natalie Portman's first films, and introduced Jean Reno to mainstream audiences. Well, this is that same movie, but the "international cut," which includes additional scenes of the awkward sexual tension and additional dramatic parts (such as a horribly tense and emotional Russian Roulette scene). I liked the theatrical cut very much, but the additional material moves the movie up from really good to great. It's Luc Besson, so you know the violence is going to be good, and he has a Frenchman's fascination with New York City, so it's gorgeous, as well. Highly recommended.

This isn't an unusual film, it was definitely mainstream, it's just older. Perhaps my taste seems unusual just because I've been pursuing movies for so damn long...

I've been to the library recently, and saw a few strange old films.

Bliss

This was a very strange little mid-80s Australian movie about an ad exec who suffers a heart attack and is dead for 4 minutes, and his experience makes him a little mad, and changes his life. It's got some interesting stylistic touches, here and there, but it's really more bizarre and inexplicable. His wife is cheating on him, he has weird episodes, he takes up with a good-hearted prostitute from the Outback, while his family has him committed, and eventually he gets away and works in the rain forest. It's ultimately kind of pointless, but at least it's an intriguing ride, and you get some imagery that's disturbing and some that's gorgeous. So, worth my time, as a library rental. Not sure if it'll suit everyone, so I can't precisely recommend it.

As I was returning that one, I was waiting in line, and I saw on the "recently returned" cart a title that was familiar:

Nightfall

This is based on a short story by Isaac Asimov, the classic SF writer, about a semi-primitive society's fear of an encroaching natural event (a moment when all three of the planet's suns are out of sight, which has only happened before in the ancient legends of the people). It was released in theaters, apparently, the year I graduated high school and went to college. I was working in a theater at that time, and constantly going to movies, and I was already interested in the movies, why didn't I ever hear about this?

Turns out, the film-makers probably never actually read the story; they barely had the information I gave in the previous paragraph. There's some interesting images, but very few, and it's pretty slow and meandering, and it doesn't really make much sense, and there's nothing particularly recognizable as Asimov's conceptual genius in this. Just weird and not in an interesting way. I've actually seen worse, however, so it was at least watchable, but not really worth much of anything. Cannot recommend it at all. Not even for the eye-plucking scene, which, again, more bizarre than interesting. And you'd think falcons pecking out a woman's eyes as part of a religious ritual would be more ... compelling?

Saw When in Rome Thursday and watched the Number 23 on netflicks.

When In Rome was like any other romantic comedy. Eye-rolling but I did chuckle a few times.

The Number 23 was really good. It really gets you thinking.

I really enjoy psychological thrillers, so if anyone has any to recommend that would be fantastic!

Going to see either Valentines Day or From Paris With Love tomorrow.

@ Tathariel: Public enemies was pretty good, but only because Johnny Depp was in it. If anyone else had played the main and he died like he did, I probably wouldn't have cared nearly as much.

@ Ahiru: Funny people was the STUPIDEST movie ever. D; I went to the midnight showing and was thoroughly disappointed.

cheerio_cherry said:
Inkheart and Watchmen. Watchmen is one of the worst comic book adaptations ever... Inkheart was made of suck too.
=O

Watchmen was great!

Nyoko said:
cheerio_cherry said:
Inkheart and Watchmen. Watchmen is one of the worst comic book adaptations ever... Inkheart was made of suck too.
=O

Watchmen was great!
Watchmen had its moments on its own, as a movie in and of itself, but as an adaptation, it was so incredibly misinformed as to the point and purpose of its source material, it was an utter failure as an adaptation of same.

I feel solid making that statement. I did, however, enjoy Watchmen on its own merits; I didn't feel cheated. And that's all about opinion.

The Glass House. It was on TV while I was getting ready to go out and I ended up watching it. Not awful, surprisingly.

Let's see:
Saturday was "Avatar" at the IMax in 3D. Graphics wise it was fantastic, storywise I felt a little left down.
Sunday was "The Wolfman". It was good, but drug alittle at the end. The villa was gorgeously done as were the period clothing and overall dirty feel of London.
Monday saw "The Hurt Locker" which honestly was a really good war movie.

Tonight I'm supposed to go to a pre-screening of "Brooklyn's Finest", but I think I might skip it and work on costumes for this weekend.

AkumaTsuki said:
Let's see:
Saturday was "Avatar" at the IMax in 3D. Graphics wise it was fantastic, storywise I felt a little left down.
Sunday was "The Wolfman". It was good, but drug alittle at the end. The villa was gorgeously done as were the period clothing and overall dirty feel of London.
Monday saw "The Hurt Locker" which honestly was a really good war movie.

Tonight I'm supposed to go to a pre-screening of "Brooklyn's Finest", but I think I might skip it and work on costumes for this weekend.
I am envious of your current-movie ability-to-go-see. Um, if that makes any sense.

It's ok MM. Alot of my friends are. I have a special pass with Blockbuster that I can rent as many movies as I want a month two at a time for $20 a month so anything old or on video I have pretty much seen. Anything new I have a 25% chance of getting to see for free ahead of time. I love connections. <3

Back
Top Bottom