Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How did you get into role-playing?

It all started years ago for me, before I even had internet. I was considered an odd child back then, because while I did have friends, I often stayed indoors, sculpting some simple figures out of the mini Lego blocks I had and role playing them in my head. I always loved the alternative realities I put them in, as well as the struggles I put them through. This slowly grew more on me, and I grew to start having my mental role plays when playing different video games I've played, and when I got internet, I couldn't help but begin role playing on the smaller websites I went on. One problem was that I found difficulty separating my mental role play with reality at that point, and unfortunately really emotionally hurt someone who fell in love with my role play persona at the time. I regret that to this day, even though she's likely forgotten of his existence by now.

My role playing slowly became external when I joined my first dedicated forum, which was a very small My Little Pony forum. My writing ability was utterly atrocious at the time, but over the span of the three years that forum existed, I refined my ability into something semi decent. After that forum went down, I jumped over here with my friend at the time, Ranger, to have a human role play. Unfortunately, that didn't last too long before some issues came into play, and the RP was abandoned. After that, I made my own RP forum after a few months, having forgotten about here for the most part. I've hosted my forum for about two years now, but had to restart it a few months back due to a database issue. Just this morning, I remembered this forum, and decided to come back to my (human) RP roots.

I know this was a bit more of a life story than RP origins, but I just couldn't help but write out the rest! It felt incomplete when I got to the end of the roots. ; w;

I was LARPing Dragon Ball Z as a kid in the mid to late 90's. When a bunch of RPG nerds want to play Dragon Ball, we bust out the systems and rules. We had a small economy set up, which was based on battle results, "jobs", and "shops". There were set rates of experience for doing actual exercises, which had us doing push ups, sit ups, and running laps around the block. We even had dragon ball hunts, and snake way. This was my main exposure to role-playing up until about 2000 or 2001. Then I acquired the Internet.

The first thing I did was look up Dragon Ball websites, and then Dragon Ball role-playing sites. Coupled with a growing interest in fanfiction, I was deep down the rabbit hole in no time. By about 2003, or 2004 I was on Gaia Online. I REALLY got into the swing of text-based role-playing then. It was an obsession for about three to four years. These days I do it rarely, because I can never find anyone I like to write with.

Seems like those with the proclivity for forum role-playing, mostly seemed to start with LARPing or "pretend" games as children. At least until we all got old enough to discover the internet.

I got involved in it initially on the Adventure Quest forums. Quite basic at the time but eventually moved on to a forum I discovered on Gaia Online, which then led to making friends who had their own dedicated forum consisting of an over arching plot. Super good times.

Now I sort of drift around the web. I had a dedicated RP partner for well over 10 years, but due to her unexplained absence I ended up finding this place. So I suppose it's not all bad :p

I got into RPing (Clean rping) when I was a teen. I used to play a lot of D&D which I guess was the true beginning of my Rping life.

I got into table top AD&D with a family member introduced me to it at age 12 and since there are so very few gamers around were I live another family member suggested mIRC FFRP from there I found the various forums.

Back
Top Bottom